2014 most lackluster year for gw2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkylightMoon.2098

SkylightMoon.2098

So the entire year of 2014 has been full of more rehashed content and breaks than actual content. After the departure of living story season 1, we waited something liek 4-5 months for the next living story, when it only ended up lasting around 6 weeks? 4 updates only. After this, we’ve had a smaller sized feature pack and another 3 months break.

Holidays like the upcoming halloween which is roughly 2 months after the midseason break or other events(WvW tournament) are not valid reasons to stop putting out new content. If this is true, then for the rest of gw2’s history, the majority of the year will be obstructed by breaks, holidays, and wvw tournaments. How was this not foreseen when scheduling the living story?

Speaking of holidays, if im right, we can expect the 2nd(most likely 2nd half) of the living story to only last 4 releases as well. Because 6 weeks after we return, there is another holiday(wintersday).

If thats the case, I don’t and hope there won’t be a season 3 and if there is, it desperately needs to be restructured because of the lack of content we get in seasons.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

… sigh …

Jan 21 – Apr 14: End of LS1
Apr 15: First Feature Pack
May 20th – Jun 30th: Festival of the Four Winds
Jul 1 – Aug 26+: LS2 Part 1
Sept 9: Feature Pack 2

You really shouldn’t make up stuff that can be so easily disputed. 3 month breaks? 4 to 5 months between living story?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

Welcome to new Guild Wars 2, I suppose. Where hope for challenge, interactive content and involvement in the world that surrounds you comes to die, and a dressdoll designer and chat simulator with a few button presses to automatically dismiss nearby threats is born.

SkylightMoon.2098

… sigh …

Jan 21 – Apr 14: End of LS1
Apr 15: First Feature Pack
May 20th – Jun 30th: Festival of the Four Winds
Jul 1 – Aug 26+: LS2 Part 1
Sept 9: Feature Pack 2

You really shouldn’t make up stuff that can be so easily disputed. 3 month breaks? 4 to 5 months between living story?

First off, I said new content, not rehashed content or features. So features packs nor rehashed festivals/holidays don’t count. The first feature pack was quite good, the 2nd was no doubt smaller.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

if you think this year was bad, obviously you weren’t here last year
living story actually had. . . story.. the only downside was we lost dragon bash
game balance.. been here 2 years and have yet to see it so you can’t really say last years was better.. some user interface improvements, and set backs.. i agree that the game is currently a clusterfo0o0o of disorganization, but they’ve always shown poor decision making.. game economy is pretty horrible, but it’s been a gradual crawl toward 1g = 1gem since the games first holiday release.. some loot nerfs and barely a handful of exploit fixes.. content updates that aren’t really pushing the envelope, but they did happen this year

summary – i’m still waiting for a non-lackluster year from arena net

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

summary – i’m still waiting for a non-lackluster year from arena net

I believe that will happen when we get the developers hearing, or well reading, aid so the community says “We kinda want more dungeons and activities to do. Fixing your storytelling would be fine, too.” and they don’t go “WHAT WAS THAT? DID YOU MEAN COMPLETELY DESTROY THE TRAIT SYSTEM?!”

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Four “biweekly” episodes of LS every six months.

SkylightMoon.2098

Four “biweekly” episodes of LS every six months.

From july to what would be(at least my guess) the end of the season in mid december, yes, pretty close to that.

For me, I really liked the beginning of season 2. I like having new zones(finally) and at least some form of permanent content. The biggest problem I have is the lack of replayability of Anets newfound permanent content(living story instances). They are exciting to do once and even in the 3rd chapter which wasn’t that well structured, the only reason I did it was to see the ending. The easymode achievements and poor rewards don’t make it any better.

The other problem I have is Anets apparent denial to do any other form of permanent content. See, content can be permanent and not necessarily have replay-ability. Fractals/dungeons have an enormous amount of replay-ability yet we all know Anet’s position on that….

Overrall I don’t think anyone expected to have such enormous gaps/fillers between content releases. Its what makes season 2 nearly as kitteneason 1 in my opinion. If they took only one break like they did in season 1, I think overrall this season would have been a major improvement.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

i would say this hasnt been a great year for GW2 content wise, while i dont think its horrible, it definately didnt feel like we had much awesome/cool additions this year. Felt kind of like a rebuilding season in sports. And just like rebuilding seasons in sports, you dont really know if the next season is going to be any better than the previous.

Perhaps next year will be the big deal year(analogy: gw2 goes to the playoffs).

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

i would say this hasnt been a great year for GW2 content wise, while i dont think its horrible, it definately didnt feel like we had much awesome/cool additions this year. Felt kind of like a rebuilding season in sports. And just like rebuilding seasons in sports, you dont really know if the next season is going to be any better than the previous.

Perhaps next year will be the big deal year(analogy: gw2 goes to the playoffs).

Does playoffs mean cantha or elona?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

2014 included some of the best and most popular content updates since launch in my opinion. The only problem is they’re no longer in the game.

I don’t find the year disappointing. However, I do acknowledge that due to the release of China, we have less stuff. Large undertakings like that are good for the game long term, but people need to be more patient, because no company can take on a big project like that and keep up the release pace from the first year. I don’t feel it’s reasonable to respect them to.

Since China what you’re seeing is all catch up. Things like the mega server and the NPE are necessary, at least in Anet’s mind, the move the game forward.

I hope most players aren’t that impatient, because my gut instinct is that it’s going to get much better moving forward.

phys.7689

2014 included some of the best and most popular content updates since launch in my opinion. The only problem is they’re no longer in the game.

I don’t find the year disappointing. However, I do acknowledge that due to the release of China, we have less stuff. Large undertakings like that are good for the game long term, but people need to be more patient, because no company can take on a big project like that and keep up the release pace from the first year. I don’t feel it’s reasonable to respect them to.

Since China what you’re seeing is all catch up. Things like the mega server and the NPE are necessary, at least in Anet’s mind, the move the game forward.

I hope most players aren’t that impatient, because my gut instinct is that it’s going to get much better moving forward.

i’d say orgins of madness was pretty good, i enjoyed that one a lot. Aside from that, nothing really awesome, to me, in 2014. I also dont feel like the game has fully integrated some of their major changes

in year one(well 1.3 since it started in august), i would say we had a lot more big deal updates.
southsun cove
fractals
guild missions
SAB
first WvW tournament
nightmare tower
and 2 or 3 pretty good LS updates
tequatl revamp.

thats just my opinion of course.

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

Alright, lets put things in perspective.

They’re not working on an expansion, they’re working on the Living Story as a focus for putting out new story content.

Between the Fractured release (Nov 26, 2013) and the Origins of Madness (January 21, 2014) there is no Living Story content. 2 Month break.
Between the Battle for Lion’s Arch (March 4th, 2014) and the Gates of Maguuma (July 1st, 2014) there is no Living Story content. 3 Month break.
Between Dragon’s Reach Prt 2 (August 12th, 2014) and the return of Living Story Season 2 (November 4th, 2014), we have nearly another full 3 months of break.

There has legitimately been more waiting for story than actual story(though I will say the Season 2 story is leagues better than Season 1). Yes, they are working on other things like the feature updates sure but I can’t play a feature update. I can’t be thrilled and wowed by the gripping story that is another generic week of World Vs World. I can’t be excited by all the gripping changes that have been made to the leveling process considering I’ve 8 lv 80s and no new classes have come out since launch.

I’ve played the game since pre release. I have played the content that is available. Living Story releases give me something to do. Lets take a look at those gaps that I listed earlier. Between the Battle for Lion’s Arch and the Gates of Maguuma release, I hardly played the game. When we had the Dragon’s Reach prt 2 and they said there’d be no new releases until Sept Feature Pack I took a break and came back to find out there’d be no story for another 2 months..

I want to play your game Anet, please give me something to do, and Skritt Shinies are not it.

SkylightMoon.2098

Most players who have been here since beta/launch have a reason to be impatient. They have waited 2 years and a lot of the time its riding the hypetrain with little return. With the long hiatus of season 2 and this feature pack, I think people have more than enough reason to be upset.

What upsets me most is how much this feature pack was hyped. We literally had a section called “Improvements Galore” which listed 3 or so minor changes to the game that could have been snuck in any living story update.

phys.7689

They’re not working on an expansion, they’re working on the Living Story as a focus for putting out new story content.

Between the Fractured release (Nov 26, 2013) and the Origins of Madness (January 21, 2014) there is no Living Story content. 2 Month break.
Between the Battle for Lion’s Arch (March 4th, 2014) and the Gates of Maguuma (July 1st, 2014) there is no Living Story content. 3 Month break.
Between Dragon’s Reach Prt 2 (August 12th, 2014) and the return of Living Story Season 2 (November 4th, 2014), we have nearly another full 3 months of break.

There has legitimately been more waiting for story than actual story(though I will say the Season 2 story is leagues better than Season 1). Yes, they are working on other things like the feature updates sure but I can’t play a feature update. I can’t be thrilled and wowed by the gripping story that is another generic week of World Vs World. I can’t be excited by all the gripping changes that have been made to the leveling process considering I’ve 8 lv 80s and no new classes have come out since launch.

I’ve played the game since pre release. I have played the content that is available. Living Story releases give me something to do. Lets take a look at those gaps that I listed earlier. Between the Battle for Lion’s Arch and the Gates of Maguuma release, I hardly played the game. When we had the Dragon’s Reach prt 2 and they said there’d be no new releases until Sept Feature Pack I took a break and came back to find out there’d be no story for another 2 months..

I want to play your game Anet, please give me something to do, and Skritt Shinies are not it.

i dont think its feasible, at this stage, that they would be able to tell a story more often they have, and still have good stories.

Can you think of some sort of workflow that would make that possible?

or would you be satisfied, with some better/more repeatable content inbetween phases.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Wait, you mean the Sep 9 patch was actually a feature pack?

I thought that patch was an UN-FEATURE pack.

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

The best part is when ANet is going on a long break, they just throw a bunch of WvW tournaments at us and say here is the contents for the next 2 month….They don’t even bother setting up new achievements for the tournament or fix any of the bugs….but they added commander tag colors….so that is something I guess….

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Togashi Jack.9531

phys, to answer you question – a dungeon or two would have been great. The game launched with 8 dungeons, and the only additions to that has been the Aetherpath for Twilight Arbor(which isn’t so much an addition as a replacement). Fractals is dungeon-ish, but that hasn’t been expanded since the Fractured release almost a year ago. The introduction of Dry Top was the perfect opportunity to put in a new dungeon, but there wasn’t one.

Dungeons and Fractals are repeatable, group oriented, non zerg content. We need more of these things.

Vayne.8563

i’d say orgins of madness was pretty good, i enjoyed that one a lot. Aside from that, nothing really awesome, to me, in 2014. I also dont feel like the game has fully integrated some of their major changes

in year one(well 1.3 since it started in august), i would say we had a lot more big deal updates.
southsun cove
fractals
guild missions
SAB
first WvW tournament
nightmare tower
tequatl revamp.

Sort of my point though. We didn’t launch in China last year. We did launch in China this year. Major undertaking is a major untaking. I don’t think anyone really could expect the same number or depth of updates.

Games aren’t created in vacuums and very often what goes on in a game’s development is tightly tied up with other things the game has to do to grow. Growing is good for everyone, even though you can’t see the results in world at the time.

So yeah, there is less stuff this year than last, sure. But I’m not sure why anyone would have expected more.

Also this year we had EotM which is very popular was some people, arguably a much more popular map than Southsun.

phys.7689

southsun cove
fractals
guild missions
SAB
first WvW tournament
nightmare tower
tequatl revamp.

Sort of my point though. We didn’t launch in China last year. We did launch in China this year. Major undertaking is a major untaking. I don’t think anyone really could expect the same number or depth of updates.

Games aren’t created in vacuums and very often what goes on in a game’s development is tightly tied up with other things the game has to do to grow. Growing is good for everyone, even though you can’t see the results in world at the time.

So yeah, there is less stuff this year than last, sure. But I’m not sure why anyone would have expected more.

Also this year we had EotM which is very popular was some people, arguably a much more popular map than Southsun.

to be honest EOTM is popular mostly because its like the champion train:
really good rewards compared to anything else
extremely approachable as a follower
Essentially always going on, and you can jump in and out at will.

i would say its 60% the first thing.

But i will say EOTM is a fairly well designed map, even though i the falling all the time style. Its actually a shame that it is mostly a karma train map in someways.

So yeah, ill give EOTM big deal of 2014 props, although i feel it actually hurt WvW itself a bit.

As far as the china release using resources, They probably should have jobbed development out. I think one of the misteps, is mistiming their big deal stuff. I think the second year, players are expecting big things, or at least big announcements.

in the 1-2 year mark, even people who liked your game are often craving something new on the horizon. I get that there will generally be some downtime on development, but i think it was a mistake to have that slump occur in this time frame.

This is probably why many other studios either do minimal changes to the client, or they let a seperate entity work on it, or a fairly small part of their studio. Most games i remember didnt go off their content release schedules in preparation for a new market.

phys.7689

phys, to answer you question – a dungeon or two would have been great. The game launched with 8 dungeons, and the only additions to that has been the Aetherpath for Twilight Arbor(which isn’t so much an addition as a replacement). Fractals is dungeon-ish, but that hasn’t been expanded since the Fractured release almost a year ago. The introduction of Dry Top was the perfect opportunity to put in a new dungeon, but there wasn’t one.

Dungeons and Fractals are repeatable, group oriented, non zerg content. We need more of these things.

I think this is the answer as well, but not just dungeons and fractals, although i think they definately need to expand those things, i think they probably need to come up with a system that can offer similar thrills/goals, but is adapted better to the open world.
essentially they need some more highly replayable content for multiple types of players.

Vayne.8563

snip

southsun cove
fractals
guild missions
SAB
first WvW tournament
nightmare tower
tequatl revamp.

to be honest EOTM is popular mostly because its like the champion train:
really good rewards compared to anything else
extremely approachable as a follower
Essentially always going on, and you can jump in and out at will.

i would say its 60% the first thing.

But i will say EOTM is a fairly well designed map, even though i the falling all the time style. Its actually a shame that it is mostly a karma train map in someways.

So yeah, ill give EOTM big deal of 2014 props, although i feel it actually hurt WvW itself a bit.

As far as the china release using resources, They probably should have jobbed development out. I think one of the misteps, is mistiming their big deal stuff. I think the second year, players are expecting big things, or at least big announcements.

in the 1-2 year mark, even people who liked your game are often craving something new on the horizon. I get that there will generally be some downtime on development, but i think it was a mistake to have that slump occur in this time frame.

This is probably why many other studios either do minimal changes to the client, or they let a seperate entity work on it, or a fairly small part of their studio. Most games i remember didnt go off their content release schedules in preparation for a new market.

I’ve been saying all along, for almost a couple of years now, that Guild Wars 2 launched too early. It did. Too many bugs, too many unfinished systems, too many things that really weren’t ready…but the game launched because that’s what happens. You run out of money and have to start making some back. Because of the business realities, you have to launch eventually and most MMOs aren’t ready. Even MMOs like Terra and Archeage weren’t ready for launch and its shows. But they had to launch. You really can’t hold it against them.

So now Anet is finally tackling the stuff that should have been done before launch and it’s time consuming. This is a pattern for so many games. They have to launch early, fans are massively hyped, the game is buggy or doesn’t have enough content, or it’s missing big features so they go to the next game which goes through the same thing.

The only way a game can really survive today is to launch early and to be good enough to play catch up. That’s what Guild Wars 2 has done. It’s good enough to play catch up, because they got so much basic stuff right.

I honestly thought, and said many times, the game would be ready to start moving forward in a year, but it took quite a bit longer than I thought it would. It’s been two. With this latest updates, I’m now convinced the game really is ready to start moving forward. Catchup time is over and it’s time to see what this game can really become.

The new living story chapters are a start, but I’d expect a lot more. If this year is disappointing (and it would be for people because not everyone will take into account the realities surrounding making a game) next year should be much much better.

I have a pretty strong feeling that you’ll be surprised in the days ahead.

Togashi Jack.9531

I was actually just on the dungeon forum, and I saw a suggestion that would make Dungeons a very different experience. By adding certain handicaps like those that had been present in the Queens Gauntlet, you could perhaps have a modifier on the end rewards for the trip. The trips would allow for different challenges this way. Alternatively, if they assume that players will take the option with greatest reward/time invested(and they will), rather than having it as a choice of modifiers, they could have the modifier itself either randomly selected at entry, or be something that follows a schedule.

Lord Kuru.3685

They’ve already said: no more dungeons.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Since I played GW2, I got new content in the form of new episodes of the Living Story.

@Lord Kuru, is there a thread in which it says anything indicating that they won’t ever add dungeons? Because I seriously doubt it.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Vayne.8563

Which is up 5 spots from #17 last month. Probably because it’s a good game.

I guess you don’t understand that this is a top 20 and indication of a successful game. Both Wildstar and ESO have already fallen off this list.

If you don’t like the game, don’t play the game. But don’t come back here and try to say the game isn’t doing well, because this chart indicates otherwise.

Edit: I think you should congratulate Anet for having the 3rd most successful MMORPG (at least according to this chart).

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

It’s somewhat respectable placement to say the least. These games, most of them were more popular to begin with.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

for me i think #12 is still way to high
but when i see swotr is on #14 than #12 for gw2 is ok^^

Fernling.1729

Gw2 is better than most mmos imo. Wow and eve online are the only mmos I find to be Better. Gw2 just lacks endgame, which is why I’m not a huge fan of it.
Swtor is pretty darn successful. It actually rake in a lot more money than gw2 does.

Lord Kuru.3685

@Lord Kuru, is there a thread in which it says anything indicating that they won’t ever add dungeons? Because I seriously doubt it.

There was an interview at gamescon. Ask in the dungeon forum.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

There is just no pleasing people.

So in Living story season 1 one of the major complaints was that the story pacing was too slow.
and you know perhaps it was, 30 mins of story every 2 weeks that would take over a year to resolve.. not a pacing everyone can be comfortable with for sure.

In comes season 2 now every release contains 4 – 5x as much story instead of a single 30 mins story instance we get 4 – 5 of them per release. Now feed back is there is not enough story. Only 4 releases before a mid season break? ohh but season 1 was so much longer…. Actually no those 4 releases had at least 4 story instances each and were the equivalent of 16 releases from season 1. if we get double that till then ends thats the equivalent of 32 releases from season 1 making season 2 nearly twice as large as season one story wise.

Longer breaks then season 1? of course with so much more content what do people expect? did you think Anet was taking it easy in Season 1, working 1/4 of the time and just doing nothing the other 3/4? If it took them 4 weeks to do 1 story instance before, how much longer does it take to do 4-5 instance per release? (of course now the teams are larger and the dynamics are differently so the answer probably isnt 16 weeks but its definitely larger then 4 weeks. They can keep up the previous pace indefinitely, it makes sense they need longer breaks to finish the next batch.

And that can be a good thing as they can put stuff SAB, holiday events, Pavillion and things like that in between.

and please lets stop quoting assumptions as facts.

Last I checked they didnt say they’re not working on an expansion they said we’re not talking about it.

I said it before and I will say it again in 5 years they massively updated their engine, designed and developed the game as well as created 8 dungeons, 25 zones, 1500 dynamic events, many jumping puzzles, quite a few secret events / stuff to discover etc.. Since launch their team has increased and not shrunk yet while output should have been higher (better workflow, no game to develop per se, better tools etc..) it didnt seem to be the case. so either people are being paid to do nothing or there is stuff going on in the background we dont know about.

Arenanet for some reason decided not to talk about stuff until its ready to release.
Whatever it is they’re working in the background (if anything at all) we will not know about it until its ready.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Thats one way to look at it… another would be omg look at that gw2 is the 3rd most popular mmo out of 1000s impressive!

The problem with statistics is there is a ton of ways to interpret them and thats not even taking into considerations that things like raptr have random sampling not representative sampling.

phys.7689

So in Living story season 1 one of the major complaints was that the story pacing was too slow.
and you know perhaps it was, 30 mins of story every 2 weeks that would take over a year to resolve.. not a pacing everyone can be comfortable with for sure.

In comes season 2 now every release contains 4 – 5x as much story instead of a single 30 mins story instance we get 4 – 5 of them per release. Now feed back is there is not enough story. Only 4 releases before a mid season break? ohh but season 1 was so much longer…. Actually no those 4 releases had at least 4 story instances each and were the equivalent of 16 releases from season 1. if we get double that till then ends thats the equivalent of 32 releases from season 1 making season 2 nearly twice as large as season one story wise.

Longer breaks then season 1? of course with so much more content what do people expect? did you think Anet was taking it easy in Season 1, working 1/4 of the time and just doing nothing the other 3/4? If it took them 4 weeks to do 1 story instance before, how much longer does it take to do 4-5 instance per release? (of course now the teams are larger and the dynamics are differently so the answer probably isnt 16 weeks but its definitely larger then 4 weeks. They can keep up the previous pace indefinitely, it makes sense they need longer breaks to finish the next batch.

And that can be a good thing as they can put stuff SAB, holiday events, Pavillion and things like that in between.

Last I checked they didnt say they’re not working on an expansion they said we’re not talking about it.

I said it before and I will say it again in 5 years they massively updated their engine, designed and developed the game as well as created 8 dungeons, 25 zones, 1500 dynamic events, many jumping puzzles, quite a few secret events / stuff to discover etc.. Since launch their team has increased and not shrunk yet while output should have been higher (better workflow, no game to develop per se, better tools etc..) it didnt seem to be the case. so either people are being paid to do nothing or there is stuff going on in the background we dont know about.

Arenanet for some reason decided not to talk about stuff until its ready to release.
Whatever it is they’re working in the background (if anything at all) we will not know about it until its ready.

actually, last thing they said, was we are not working on an expansion.
People who want to be optimistic say that that announcement was long ago, and MAYBE now they COULD be working on expansion.

make no mistake, they have never said anything about an expansion, other than not right now, we are not working on it.

Vayne.8563

People who want to be optimistic say that that announcement was long ago, and MAYBE now they COULD be working on expansion.

make no mistake, they have never said anything about an expansion, other than not right now, we are not working on it.

The last thing they said were that they were working on the type of content that you’d find in an expansion and they haven’t yet decided how they were going to deliver that content. It could be an expansion, or it could be through living story.

The last thing they said certainly wasn’t we’re not working on an expansion.

Romek.4201

Gw2 is better than most mmos imo. Wow and eve online are the only mmos I find to be Better. Gw2 just lacks endgame, which is why I’m not a huge fan of it.
Swtor is pretty darn successful. It actually rake in a lot more money than gw2 does.

no its not – cause you like it more than other mmos dont mean it is better than most mmos

gw2 is not very attractive for most players – just check twitch (when you count viewers there you will mostly have same list as this raptr list) – and noone on twitch care bout gw2

gw2 was very hyped before and at start from gw2 and gw2 was a sequel from a very popular game – only this brought players

But devs killed it after release with total miss management and incompetent desicions. Looks like gw1 people dont work at arneanet anymore and there are all new people which never cared bout games and gaming in their live but they are good programmers and thats why they have the job

EVERYTHING in gw2 after release was brainstormed to death and had no “FUN” as a maintarget. EVERYTHING in gw2 has not gamers as a target it is made for casuals and bad players who like to spam #1 and being called hero for this

thats why gw2 not popular^^

and check more than this forum here or reddit gw2 and you will see most gamers laugh bout gw2

(edited by Romek.4201)

Vayne.8563

no its not – cause you like it more than other mmos dont mean it is better than most mmos

gw2 is not very attractive for most players – just check twitch (when you count viewers there you will mostly have same list as this raptr list) – and noone on twitch care bout gw2

gw2 was very hyped before and at start from gw2 and gw2 was a sequel from a very popular game – only this brought players

But devs killed it after release with total miss management and incompetent desicions. Looks like gw1 people dont work at arneanet anymore and there are all new people which never cared bout games and gaming in their live but they are good programmers and thats why they have the job

EVERYTHING in gw2 after release was brainstormed to death and had no “FUN” as a maintarget. EVERYTHING in gw2 has not gamers as a target it is made for casuals and bad players who like to spam #1 and being called hero for this

Opinion stated as fact remains opinion stated as fact. The same can be said about any game, but it doesn’t make it true.

I see no evidence that Guild Wars 2 isn’t popular among most players. Certainly it’s more popular than other new MMOs that have been released that were supposed to have killed it.

Guess you’re not paying attention to the industry as a whole.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Shouldn’t use start dates as end dates of the LS arcs. Add 2 weeks.

So Dec 10th to Jan 20st. That’s a month and a half, or less really (1.38), only 0.66 months in 2014.
April 1st to June 30th. That’s three months.
Aug 26th to Nov 3th. That’s two and 1/3 months.

There is always going to be rehashed but tweaked seasonal events. And while you aren’t counting the feature packs as content, it’s not like they didn’t give us any new, At least for the serial complainers.

So yes. In roughly 8.55 months, we have had 4.14 months of new LS. 2.07 months of rehashed but tweaked content and since you don’t want to count the feature packs or the fact that LS 2 doesn’t really go away, 2.34 months so far of no content at all, new or rehashed but tweaked. Since I don’t know when Halloween or Wintersday (more rehashed and likely tweaked content) I’m going to say we will have had new content for 1/2 the year.

But you can’t really ignore the fact that LS2 is repeatable for all characters, including ones made after LS 2 started.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

The only way a game can really survive today is to launch early and to be good enough to play catch up. That’s what Guild Wars 2 has done. It’s good enough to play catch up, because they got so much basic stuff right.

It’s true that MMO’s launch unfinished and have to finish the game live. Even with that, much smaller teams catch up and push new contents at same time, and do it better, faster and less buggy than gw2. Arenanet is a shame in the amount of development done since launch. The only other exemple I have that made so few content and work is warhammer online. They are a big team, so they have huge problems in their way of work.

Romek.4201

Opinion stated as fact remains opinion stated as fact. The same can be said about any game, but it doesn’t make it true.

I see no evidence that Guild Wars 2 isn’t popular among most players. Certainly it’s more popular than other new MMOs that have been released that were supposed to have killed it.

and guess you will praise this game even when they shut down servers

Fernling.1729

and check more than this forum here or reddit gw2 and you will see most gamers laugh bout gw2

You know I put “imo” to weed out responses like this. Next time I’ll make sure to spell it out.
Besides WoW, gw2 has the highest “production value” of any theme park mmo I’ve played. It just lacks the direction I want for it.

I have this thing with every single new mmo. I call it the jump test. I immediately get into the game and just simply jump around. Most feel clunky and some feel like butter. It’s actually quite important to me how that jumping feels, as it is usually indicative of how smooth the rest of the game is.
Well, besides wow, gw2 is the only other mmo to actually pass my jump test and it shows. This game is smooothhh and responsive.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Vayne.8563

and guess you will praise this game even when they shut down servers

I praise the Amiga computer even though the company who makes it couldn’t make it successful as well. However, I think most people would agree that this game isn’t close to shutting down. If it is, and it probably is the third most successful MMO at the moment, that doesn’t bode well for hundreds of other MMOs that are doing worse, but are around for years.

phys.7689

The last thing they said were that they were working on the type of content that you’d find in an expansion and they haven’t yet decided how they were going to deliver that content. It could be an expansion, or it could be through living story.

they said it more than once, and from different people. Here is a quote from one.

“So right now we’re not really looking at expansions as an option,” lead content designer Mike Zadorojny told me on his visit to London last week."

“It’s something that’s on the table but it’s not something we’re focused on, because what we want to do is – our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.”

they may have changed their minds, but the last thing they actually officially said was that they werent working on an expansion.

You can choose to believe that plan has changed, but nothing they have actually said implies that they have.

im not saying this to talk down the possibility, im just trying to keep people operating on real facts. Anets most recent talk on expansion is that they have no plans for an expansion, and were not developing it at this time.

time and time again they basically said, no plans for an expansion, living world is the method of delivery for that type of content.

At some point early in development, before living world was a thing, they said they werent sure how to deliver expansion type content.

(edited by phys.7689)

Vayne.8563

they said it more than once, and from different people. Here is a quote from one.

“So right now we’re not really looking at expansions as an option,” lead content designer Mike Zadorojny told me on his visit to London last week."

“It’s something that’s on the table but it’s not something we’re focused on, because what we want to do is – our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.”

they may have changed their minds, but the last thing they actually officially said was that they werent working on an expansion.

You can choose to believe that plan has changed, but nothing they have actually said implies that they have.

im not saying this to talk down the possibility, im just trying to keep people operating on real facts. Anets most recent talk on expansion is that they have no plans for an expansion, and were not developing it at this time.

time and time again they basically said, no plans for an expansion, living world is the method of delivery for that type of content.

At some point early in development, before living world was a thing, they said they werent sure how to deliver expansion type content.

Did you see the interview with Colin at I think it was last year’s PAX? He said what I said he said.

phys.7689

Did you see the interview with Colin at I think it was last year’s PAX? He said what I said he said.

looked for more info, and this is what i think you are refering to.

“The thing that we haven’t decided yet,” he went on, "is what form that type of content will take. Is it right for Guild Wars 2 for that kind of boxed expansion? Is it right for that to be something we add, live, through storylines in the game? Is that something we want to sell through our in-game store? There are a lot of different options available to us.

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

Mike Zadorojny, clarifying his comments from last year – which suggested there wouldn’t be an expansion any time soon – said: “The answer I gave you [in 2013] was that nothing was off the table.”

looking at this quote i would say they have backed off a bit, and now its a possibility, but they still are talking about a timeframe of withing the games lifetime.

still not saying they are working on it now, or have been in the past.

i would say its still in the realms of possible, rather than probable, but each person can interpret the quote how they feel

for clarity of time frame i believe the, “not right now an option” was in july.

and the, “not sure if expansion” was in january.

the time frame is, within the games lifespan, which i would guess is any time within 10 years from release

(edited by phys.7689)

Vayne.8563

“The thing that we haven’t decided yet,” he went on, "is what form that type of content will take. Is it right for Guild Wars 2 for that kind of boxed expansion? Is it right for that to be something we add, live, through storylines in the game? Is that something we want to sell through our in-game store? There are a lot of different options available to us.

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

Mike Zadorojny, clarifying his comments from last year – which suggested there wouldn’t be an expansion any time soon – said: “The answer I gave you [in 2013] was that nothing was off the table.”

looking at this quote i would say they have backed off a bit, and now its a possibility, but they still are talking about a timeframe of withing the games lifetime.

i would say its still in the realms of possible, rather than probable, but each person can interpret the quote how they feel

the time frame is, within the games lifespan, which i would guess is any time within 10 years from release

Nice guess, but just a guess. They may not release features as a paid expansion, but they are working on features that you’d find in an expansion. I’m sure the China launch set them back.

The bottom line is they didn’t say there would or wouldn’t be an expansion. Now, it’s possible that Drytop was one of the things they said they were working on, which is a new zone which is the type of thing that comes in an expansion. But the more I look at the number of people working and the type of stuff they’re doing, the more I come to the conclusion that some work on something is going on in the background.

This is a complex business. A lot of things happen that affect other things. Simplest most recent example is Wildstar not doing as well as expected. That could very well be a queue for NcSoft to pay more attention to Guild Wars 2, and make some of that investment back. Best way to get an influx of cash?

Probably an expansion.

phys.7689

Nice guess, but just a guess. They may not release features as a paid expansion, but they are working on features that you’d find in an expansion. I’m sure the China launch set them back.

The bottom line is they didn’t say there would or wouldn’t be an expansion. Now, it’s possible that Drytop was one of the things they said they were working on, which is a new zone which is the type of thing that comes in an expansion. But the more I look at the number of people working and the type of stuff they’re doing, the more I come to the conclusion that some work on something is going on in the background.

This is a complex business. A lot of things happen that affect other things. Simplest most recent example is Wildstar not doing as well as expected. That could very well be a queue for NcSoft to pay more attention to Guild Wars 2, and make some of that investment back. Best way to get an influx of cash?

Probably an expansion.

pretty sure ncsoft was reccomending an expansion since day 1, (korean traders kept saying that it was part of their plans) anet was probably the one saying hold up, we got a different plan.

but yes, at this point i would say its still a guess. its an unknown, so i wouldnt rely on it being the case

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

Expansion confirmed because Vayne says so!
…even if anet said recently otherwise…

Vayne.8563

Probably an expansion.

pretty sure ncsoft was reccomending an expansion since day 1, (korean traders kept saying that it was part of their plans) anet was probably the one saying hold up, we got a different plan.

but yes, at this point i would say its still a guess. its an unknown, so i wouldnt rely on it being the case

I don’t know if the content will come out as an expansion or not, but I do believe content is being worked on, quite secretly. I don’t expect to see it quickly either, but I don’t expect it to be years away.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

if you think this year was bad, obviously you weren’t here last year
living story actually had. . . story.. the only downside was we lost dragon bash
game balance.. been here 2 years and have yet to see it so you can’t really say last years was better..

Personally i enjoyed last year much more. There was constantly soemthing to do and
as soon as you got bored by the last update there was already the next in sight.

Now in LS2 we got 4 !! total new updates in 5 months .. and personally i’m not
interested in playing these instanced storys with hordes of mobs but no loot
and endfights that take longer than a dungeon-run, more than once.

So in the end we got Dry Top farming for 5 months.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.