2016 Blog Post up!

2016 Blog Post up!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/state-of-the-game-update-q1-2016/

Some good stuff in there.

The lack of mention of legendary weapons is sad if not unexpected.

2016 Blog Post up!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Since most of the Jan 26th content hasn’t been announced, there is nothing to say it wont be there.

2016 Blog Post up!

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

this line is particularly ominous ‘One of our goals for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ was for it to be the last time we would focus on this type of broad development and experimentation and to reach a point where we could focus more on depth.’

and begs a simple question: why? players actually like broad development(new races, new maps). who knew hot was going to be the last time they made new maps or new content?

i actually don’t disagree with a focus on depth but it cannot be at the expense of broadening the gw2 world. this roadmap reads for the most part like patch notes…2016 the year of incrementalism.

perhaps the quarterly update will be really good (but they don’t have a good track record of incorporating new events on existing maps…anybody remember mordrem invasion pre hot).

personal wishes – many more armor skins.

notes: who the hell asked for the brew of the month club!?!….

2016 Blog Post up!

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Not sure why this thread was needed since there is already an official thread started by Gaile.

Edit: Ah, I see op posted a about 5 minutes ahead of Gaile’s thread.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

(edited by Endless Soul.5178)

2016 Blog Post up!

Selkirk.4218

the devs dont postin or read these forums…feels rather silly to post in the ‘official’ thread.

this thread (if allowed to stay) could be a little more independent and feisty. the ‘official’ threads are just there for damage control.

2016 Blog Post up!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

this line is particularly ominous ‘One of our goals for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ was for it to be the last time we would focus on this type of broad development and experimentation and to reach a point where we could focus more on depth.’

and begs a simple question: why? players actually like broad development(new races, new maps). who knew hot was going to be the last time they made new maps or new content?

I don’t think this means no new maps or content. I think they mean they have their core systems in place (masteries, elites, adventures, collections) and will use those going forward without major changes to the game structure.

In fact, direct quote from Colin on last Friday’s live stream: “I want our teams to focus on the systems we’ve built and lets just polish those, and add a lot more content to them.” https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/No-more-living-story/first#post5907207

2016 Blog Post up!

Selkirk.4218

colin’s statement is fairly clear (for anet that is). i mean it’s difficult to read ‘new maps’ or ‘new races’ into it.

honestly who knew hot was the last time they were going for broad development? apparently they knew this while designing hot (this may or may not be true…i don’t think they actually did know this-a bit of revisionist history by colin?).

this both frustrates and astonishes…if they knew this was it for broad development why did they think so small? and what is to happen with all those empty areas on the tyria world map?

notes- about dat legendary armor…and legendary weaps….

(edited by Selkirk.4218)

2016 Blog Post up!

Randulf.7614

They stated very early on after the original HoT announcement they were aiming for broad development. I believe there is an interview where he states it was an expansion they were bedding new features and systems over new content.

2016 Blog Post up!

Selkirk.4218

but they didn’t state or even mention that this was the last time they would focus on broad development.

i actually appreciate the honesty (if it is disingenuous …see above)…but am i supposed to be excited about the game going forward? without the possibility of new races or new maps one is left with …hot and core tyria- and the mythical fractal leaderboards.

2016 Blog Post up!

Randulf.7614

He didn’t say no more broad development, he said “last time they would focus on this type of broad development and experimentation”. That is not the same thing. it means they wont just work on this at the cost of other developments, ie more of a balnce – something HoT didn’t quite achieve

(edited by Randulf.7614)

2016 Blog Post up!

Selkirk.4218

lets not muddy the water. the statement is clear. he isn’t trying to weasel why are you? and if one had doubts about what was meant by no more broad development…read the roadmap.

everything is polish and qol…

2016 Blog Post up!

Randulf.7614

" all other parts of the game are at a point where we can focus entirely on polishing the systems we have and continuing to add new content via live updates and our next expansion."

Not everything is polish and QOL. If new maps is what you desire, then they will come as the new content. New races may never happen anyway since they have outwardly stated they aren’t keen on adding them as they add little for the cost of developement.

2016 Blog Post up!

Selkirk.4218

thats not true. nothing in what was said even hinted at new maps. we shouldn’t confuse ‘new content’ with new maps.

the only thing that is clear is that they will no longer do any broad development like hot (new maps/innovations/etc..).

2016 Blog Post up!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

As others have commented, it’s confusing to have two threads running on the exact same topic. Please feel free to add your thoughts here.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet