2nd birthday experience scroll

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I’m ridiculously excited for the toy. I am a little bummed that the random lottery of a mini is still not an option like in GW1, however, and also sad about the soulboundness of the gun (going to assume it won’t stack in the bank). It will permanently take up a slot in each characters’ inventory. I thought the community was pretty vocally annoyed about items just sitting in your inventory like that with the living story (Scarlet Briar’s Journal, Marjory’s Journal, that Krytan torch), sad to see them regressing into implementing it here. If there was an equipped slot for toys like there is for costumes this would be less obnoxious to me.

I also thought the whole community had been pretty similarly-minded about how useless those lvl 20 scrolls are as a birthday present. Especially now for a second birthday. Give me something my birthday character can use, at least. The Birthday Boosters are an example of such awesomeness.

8 characters, 6 of whom are gonna be up on their 2nd bdays soon. As of next month, that’ll be, let’s see, 12 lvl 20 scrolls plus the 2 from the year-olds. That’s a total of 14 lvl 20 scrolls in my account’s history. For characters that are all 80 with two 60s. I think I’ve used 2 of them in the last 2 years. This doesn’t even include the characters I plan to make with my 2 open spots, or taking into account the numbers should this pattern of yearly lvl 20 scrolls continue. I estimate I’d have a total of 24 by next year with these two extra characters made, which in year 4 would total out to 34 lvl 20 scrolls. I will never have that many characters to level and there is no other way to break down or exchange the scrolls. I don’t understand the logic.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

(edited by kimeekat.2548)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I still have 10 experience scrolls from last year. =/ I have one of each class, all 80 except 1 and a extra for key farming/muling. I got extra due to some bug~ Wish they were just +1 level scrolls from pvp, then I can level my Mesmer to 80 since he’s my only non 80 due to lack of interest.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Nivelis.8763

Nivelis.8763

I know that new features in game need some tests and time to be good, but why they ruin all good ideas from Guild Wars 1???

- birthday present was cool enough in GW1 so in GW2 they decided to give us crap for first ann and now even bigger crap for second ann – wth? where is my random mini?

- GvG was the most awesome part of GW1 so they decided to not make it at all!
I think its not so hard to do – just think about smaller WvW maps for 8-12 players, maps size of guild halls in GW1

- speaking about guild halls – yea, they were cool, so lets not make them at all

- alliances were cool in GW1, linking 10 guilds together so this helped avoiding guild merging and friends splitting… so they not maked it at all in GW2 and created system that supports creating guild for 100+ players only and best strategy is zerg…

- no system for guild recruiting, no server chat, they finally added LFG system but ofcourse without guild support – good luck with guild recruitment by spamming all maps all day long

This is not Guild Wars, this is single player PvE with other single players and zerg vs zerg face-roll WvW. I will not speak about PvP in GW2 vs PvP in GW1 because its just sad.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

So.. do people even have characters under level 20 when they have 2 year old characters on their account? Seems to me like they should have been level 25, or level 30 scrolls, or something, but more level 20 scrolls? I have 13, I have a character of every single class, actually I have a duplicate of 1 class because I didn’t like Charr Warrior but that character was an ascended crafter so I couldn’t bring myself to delete it.

But a real problem is... this years scrolls do not stack with last year’s scrolls, so if I wanted to save them on the off chance.. it’s another bank slot. can’t we at least have them stack?

Yes, yes I did. I used two experience scrolls today, as well.

To be fair, the 40% off deal on an extra character slot was utilised - it actually was my birthday yesterday, so it was just one more little treat! Further, I hadn’t purchased any extra slots on my account before these last few months (summer bonus and all that, and even then I only bought one extra). I used to have the fifth slot as the make-play-delete slot, meaning I’d used any experience scrolls with my altoholic ways already, so new scrolls is okay. For me, at least. Can’t imagine I’m entirely alone in that.

Although I have to agree, this stuff should stack.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I agree with the stacking. There have been bugs like that before with other items, eventually fixed, so hopefully they’ll fix this.

I’ve used a scant few of my level 20 scrolls, mostly when I was raising an alt quickly for RP purposes. But as someone who actively enjoys leveling, I tend to avoid them. I’ve got an asura necromancer in his early 30’s now that I made so I could see the Infinity Ball PS line, and I got him up to 20 the normal way because that’s a nice daily project for me to work on.

If/when they do give us a new profession and/or race, I won’t want to skip all the learning I can do in the first 20 levels. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want a +20 either, but that’s just me. For most people +20 would be delightful and far more useful than a 20-cap one ever could be.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

My birthday booster is to late. 3 of my chars are ‘headstart’ made chars, but are 6 days younger then the (still have to wait somehow 3 days), weird thing is, account show true date (the one my chars would need for birthday gifts).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I thought this on some of my alts last year, as I made 5 characters within minutes of the game going live. Then I remembered that some of them were just name place holders who got deleted and remade a few days later with the actual race/profession/appearance I wanted.

Check the days played on the alt, not the overall account time, to predict your accurate birthday.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

One finally turned age of 728. Most say you need 730 days to get birthday blaster but this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2UPqHeG5QY (see chat log ingame) indicates 729 days is enough, wich would indicate tomorrow my mesmer gets it. Anyhow dissapointing. I thought I understood it works next to food, but it doesn’t And most of my true mains are 60-180 days younger then the birthday blaster. Kinda lame i gotta play chars now that I like less if i want to test the boost.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

[&AgF3BQEAAA] Skill point scroll (30) [&AgF4BQEAAA Skill point scroll (20)
[&AgF6BQEAAA] Skill point scroll (15) [&AgF9BQEAAA Skill point scroll (10)
[&AgGABQEAAA] Skill point scroll (5) [&AgGCBQEAAA Experience Scroll (Level 60)
[&AgGDBQEAAA] Experience Scroll (Level 50) [&AgGEBQEAAA Experience Scroll (Level 45)
[&AgGFBQEAAA] Experience Scroll (Level 40) [&AgGGBQEAAA Experience Scroll (Level 25)
[&AgF/BQEAAA==] Experience scroll (Level 30)
ive seen this in reddit

I’m guessing these will be future non-birthday rewards for holidays/events/achievements…OR Experience Scroll (Level 20) will be used in soon to be enabled mystic forge recipes.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Guess you can’t please everyone. Character slots were on sale and obviously they want you to buy more and make more characters. I have about 20 of these scrolls from last year, as any character I had was already past level 20 by the time I hit the first year birthday.

I’m surprised the birthday vendor is even in the game though considering she offers nothing.

Well I’m going to say what has to be said here.

Why would you keep making more and more characters. Any more than say 8 (one of each class) is kind of a waste. Maybe you might have 1 or so duplicate of a particular class for whatever reason (I had one particular reason, maybe someone else has another reason) but in general, people make about 1 per class. You can change builds at any time so you don’t need multiple characters of the same class to do different builds, the only real possible difference is characters of the same class but different race if for whatever reason (like I had) you couldn’t stand a certain race/class combo but since you can’t racechange you’re stuck with either deleting or making a duplicate. That is literally it.

That said no matter what you do you’re going to get more level 20 scrolls than you will ever be able to use. Even if you made your first 5 characters at launch and then never played them, waiting a year to get the level 20 scrolls. Now you have 5 level 20 scrolls and use them, 2nd birthday comes around 5 more level 20 scrolls, you make 5 more characters and level them to 20, now when those 5 characters turn 1, and 2, they’ll spawn 10 more level 20 scrolls, which you can’t use. Buy 10 more character slots, go ahead, level them all up to 20, now you have 20 character slots, which is a lot of duplicates, in fact it’s more than 2 of every class. Those 10 characters will spawn 20 level 20 scrolls over the next 2 years, you make 20 more character slots for a total of 40 characters (who would have time to play them?) and level them to 20. In 2 more years, you’ll spawn another 40 level 20 scrolls. You buy the last 24 character slots to max out your account. You still have excess scrolls and those last 24 character slots will spawn even more level 20 scrolls.

If you only got level 20 scrolls on your first birthday it’s theoretically possible though highly unlikely you’ll be able to use them all, most likely people will use a couple of them and the rest go to waste.

Receiving more level 20 scrolls on your second birthday just generates waste and you’d never not even theoretically be able to use them all, it’s impossible.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Speak for yourself.

I only have 5 characters after two years , and would eventually like one of each class, so I could use another scroll or two. I have one in my bank currently. Yes, once my later characters get a birthday, they’ll have useless scrolls. Big deal. It’s not my first day playing an RPG. 90% of loot is crap.

Just because it’s useless for you doesn’t mean it’s useless for other people. Just delete it if you think it’s useless.

They should probably turn it into just skill point scrolls on further birthdays, but that’s just me.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Speak for yourself.

I only have 5 characters after two years , and would eventually like one of each class, so I could use another scroll or two. I have one in my bank currently. Yes, once my later characters get a birthday, they’ll have useless scrolls. Big deal. It’s not my first day playing an RPG. 90% of loot is crap.

Just because it’s useless for you doesn’t mean it’s useless for other people. Just delete it if you think it’s useless.

They should probably turn it into just skill point scrolls on further birthdays, but that’s just me.

Even then, they should remove the upto twenty level limit.

It’s useless for anyone who’s gotten their character past level 20 and that’s not hard at all for somone who’s played for more than a year I’d say.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Speak for yourself.

It’s useless for anyone who’s gotten their character past level 20 and that’s not hard at all for somone who’s played for more than a year I’d say.

You’re not looking at it right, and you don’t understand why they send it to you.

The scroll is an advertisement. “Buy a new character slot now, and we’ll auto-level you to level 20 to help you get started!” If they used the in-game email to send you messages saying that, most people would be kittened by the blatant money grab and disrespect. But by calling it a birthday present, they can mail it out and people actually THANK THEM for the advertisement.

Is it useful? It can be, yes. But more and more people are finding them useless, and their true nature is starting to show.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Speak for yourself.

You’re not looking at it right, and you don’t understand why they send it to you.

The scroll is an advertisement. “Buy a new character slot now, and we’ll auto-level you to level 20 to help you get started!” If they used the in-game email to send you messages saying that, most people would be kittened by the blatant money grab and disrespect. But by calling it a birthday present, they can mail it out and people actually THANK THEM for the advertisement.

Is it useful? It can be, yes. But more and more people are finding them useless, and their true nature is starting to show.

I know why they do that my friend. I’m not disputing you in the slightest.

I say its useless, you say its suboptimal unless used in conjecture with the aforementioned cash-grab. Fine, I’ll compromise over definitions. But it is what it is; a lazily designed item with an arbitrary restriction that limits nothing actually useful to anyone. If anything, a scroll without a level 20 maximum is more useful than that to people who want to make a new character as they can level the character up themselves, and then when they feel burnt out, they can use the scroll instead.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I have eight characters. Only two are above level 20.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

lol

Lowbie characters up to level 20 only again? AND they don’t stack with last year’s useless scrolls?

*grumbles and makes a spot in the account bank anyway*

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m hoping they’ll either become stackable with last year’s scrolls OR, preferably, they’re going to get a makeover in the “Fresh Start” update that’s being announced in a few days.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

was hoping for lvl 80 scrolls, but rumor was a lvl 60 scroll.

ended up with the same lvl 20 one….

this is just bad

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Still can’t believe no on from ANet has addressed this. I didn’t mind getting the level 20
Scroll in the first year birthday. I had a few toons I had not levelled as I was busy playing my main and another alt. So it was nice to get a leg up, but now it’s just silly. Even if it we a scroll that went from 20-30, that would have been cool. Not any good for me really, but I would have been ok with it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

It’s my birthday and I’ll cry if I want to.

The skillpoint scrolls are soulbound, can’t use them on a new character, existing characters have more skillpoints than I can get around to turning into money.

The level 20 scroll is… just like last years, except it doesn’t stack. And what would I want with it? I already have them. Why you no make “+10 levels, to a maximum of 60”? Destroyed to save inventory space.

They birthday booster is… also just like last years, except it doesn’t stack. And it’s missing the one thing I really want in a booster, WvW XP gain for use in the EOTM train. So much for buying a character slot to make a thief. An underwhelming gift, but the least bad thing here.

The cake gun… destroyed to save inventory space. Not my sort of humour, I’m afraid, though I’m sure it will appeal to somebody.

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

If you have a character slot for key farming, daily PS or simply sitting there there are two great uses for the lvl 20 scroll:

1. Buy an Augur Stone with the 20 skill points you get by levelling up (Augur Stones are account bound and a key element in ascended crafting)
2. Upgrade your WvW blueprints to superior variants (Siege Masters Guide is soulbound, the blueprints aren’t). Turn 40 normal ACs to 20 superiors? Nice.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

It’s my birthday and I’ll cry if I want to.

The skillpoint scrolls are soulbound, can’t use them on a new character, existing characters have more skillpoints than I can get around to turning into money.

The level 20 scroll is… just like last years, except it doesn’t stack. And what would I want with it? I already have them. Why you no make “+10 levels, to a maximum of 60”? Destroyed to save inventory space.

They birthday booster is… also just like last years, except it doesn’t stack. And it’s missing the one thing I really want in a booster, WvW XP gain for use in the EOTM train. So much for buying a character slot to make a thief. An underwhelming gift, but the least bad thing here.

The cake gun… destroyed to save inventory space. Not my sort of humour, I’m afraid, though I’m sure it will appeal to somebody.

Birthday boosters do stack. And they stack with first year ones too.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

You know, the thing is, GW1 gifts were exciting to get because there was a whole economy around minipets, people bought unopened gifts, and there were very valuable minipets out there.

Now minipets are mainly bought through the gemstore, which wasn’t the greatest decision out there because they had to do other things for birthday gifts instead.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Zaxares.5419

1. Buy an Augur Stone with the 20 skill points you get by levelling up (Augur Stones are account bound and a key element in ascended crafting)

Huh. I can’t believe I never thought of that. Thanks for that tip, Gorani! As someone who plans to outfit all 5 characters in all-Ascended gear one day, those XP scrolls actually could be useful now.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

You did know that the cakes provide free buffs, right? It’s not just a noisemaker.

For 10 minutes after you “eat” a cake, you get +40 to All Attributes, +10% Karma, +15% Magic Find, +15% Experience from Kills.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

The reason why it was used as a reward is because it already existed in the game. Same with the Chinese back pieces we just got. That way they can spend their time on the huge amount of fulfilling content we get.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

The reason why it was used as a reward is because it already existed in the game. Same with the Chinese back pieces we just got. That way they can spend their time on the huge amount of fulfilling content we get.

the lvl 25, 30, 40, kitten and 60 scroll also already exist in game as well.

the fact that the year 2 scrolls don’t stack with year 1 scrolls suggest that they r not simply the same item but 2 identical items? and not the 1st year scrolls re-used

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

lol why is forty five, fifty censored?

Zaxares.5419

What anatomical body part does the letters “a”, “five” and “five” look like?