3 Years for 1 Expansion.....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If i remember correctly, they disbanded their dungeon team awhile back. That says it all.

This…hurts. I know GW2 isnt meant to be your traditional MMO but to leave the dungeons so untouched for 3 years is absolutely horrible. When I think about getting into GW2 again, which I currently am thinking about, I think about how stagnant the dungeons are. I like dungeons. I dont like them to be the only thing I do at endgame…I can only stomach so much forced group content. But dungeons need to be there and arenanet fails miserably at boss mechanics and frequency with adding new dungeons.

Anyone suppose that if this is true that the cause is the exclusionary and abusive behavior of dungeon speed riders. Remember the game especially PvE is suppose to be co-op friendly and not someplace where abusiveness and rudeness is the norm.

Just maybe if those zerk only, speed runners who kick others over the smallest things were nicer, we would have gotten more dungeons.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If they keep us entertained throughout, I see no problem with it taking 12 years to defeat all the dragons.

The problem is that they are definitely not keeping me entertained… at all.

12 years of starving for content?

No thanks.

You can’t please everyone.

But Tera online can

He should go play Tera online then. The problem here isn’t the game, it’s the people who think the game should fit their exact needs.

…or maybe I should play the sequel to the original Guild Wars (if it only existed) and not this sorry excuse for a money grabbing cash cow of a MMO we call Guild Wars 2.

No, it really sounds like you should get some sense and stop purposefully expose yourself to something that you obviously can’t stand. If the game doesn’t fit you as a player, don’t throw time/money at it expecting it to change. That’s not a realistic approach.

Do you think I even have a reason to log into Gw2 any more?

I haven’t done so in months.

Its just disappointing to see something you spent so much of your time on go completely belly-up…. and then still refuse to give up.

I liked Gw2 at the start, but only because I forced myself to like it.

I refused to accept the fact that all my preparation was completely wasted on a game that I didn’t like.

It took me a long time to come to grips with it, (i kept thinking things were going to get better) but I’ve long since gotten over it.

Guild Wars 2 is not something I support any more.

But you spend time coming to the forums. Total waste of time if you ask me.

Obviously there are people here who do like it. You don’t. Shrugs. Why leave a game and then come back to complain about walking away from it? Seems to me that that that’s neither constructive, nor particularly helpful even to you.

Hope you find a game you do like. Some of us still like this one.

I feel that if I get enough people to gather up the pitchforks then Anet might actually start caring about their playerbase instead of the dollar signs.

I think the last thing you should be doing is spending your time trying to convince someone who is content with something to hate it so that it may possibly benefit you in the future.

…but I’m not trying to do that either.

I just want more people to stand up for themselves.

Tell Anet what you want…. and don’t settle for anything less.

…and incase there is anyone out there who is just like me…. stockholm syndrome style… playing the game hoping it will get better because they have invested a lot of their time into it…

Don’t.
It is not going to get better unless Anet completely changes direction.

…but in the meantime stand up and voice your opinions.

Actually this happens all the time. People tell Anet what they want. But the problem is different factions of people want wildly opposing things. People have said we want more PvP options. You don’t think Anet has heard that. The question becomes how many of people out of ALL the players really want this. We want more dungeons. New dungeons, harder dungeons. You don’t think Anet has heard this.

There are three kinds of things people say that won’t change the game at all.

1. Things that are just bad ideas from a design perspective.
2. Things that are a bad idea from an amount of time/important perspective.
3. Things that are against the design of the game altogether.

Everyone seems to think their suggests are best for the game and are almost universally supported. That’s claptrap. The more people who say this is what I want, the more we see people want wildly different things and Anet can’t do them all. NO company can do them all.

So as much as you say you want people to stand up for themselves and accept nothing less, well, if everyone did, no game would have any players at all.

Good strategy and you’re still wasting your time.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If i remember correctly, they disbanded their dungeon team awhile back. That says it all.

This…hurts. I know GW2 isnt meant to be your traditional MMO but to leave the dungeons so untouched for 3 years is absolutely horrible. When I think about getting into GW2 again, which I currently am thinking about, I think about how stagnant the dungeons are. I like dungeons. I dont like them to be the only thing I do at endgame…I can only stomach so much forced group content. But dungeons need to be there and arenanet fails miserably at boss mechanics and frequency with adding new dungeons.

Anyone suppose that if this is true that the cause is the exclusionary and abusive behavior of dungeon speed riders. Remember the game especially PvE is suppose to be co-op friendly and not someplace where abusiveness and rudeness is the norm.

Just maybe if those zerk only, speed runners who kick others over the smallest things were nicer, we would have gotten more dungeons.

Perhaps right at the beginning of the game that was true because I was shocked the first time someone described a situation where they kicked a team mate for ‘selfishly’ using a non-zerker gear. At that time, it was described to me as a pretty universal way to deal with said selfish players.

I think since then, it’s become adopted behaviour, and the practice is not always gear-related. I’ve suggested the same suspicion on the demise of Anet’s dungeon efforts recently in a thread where a zerker speed runner was complaining about lack of dungeon development and their own experience with getting kicked. I suggested it will need players to change their attitudes to align with the target player audience. Predictably, this was turned around and the target player audience was blamed for forcing other people into that behaviour because of their selfish approach to the game.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Vayne.8563

If they keep us entertained throughout, I see no problem with it taking 12 years to defeat all the dragons.

The problem is that they are definitely not keeping me entertained… at all.

12 years of starving for content?

No thanks.

You can’t please everyone.

But Tera online can

He should go play Tera online then. The problem here isn’t the game, it’s the people who think the game should fit their exact needs.

…or maybe I should play the sequel to the original Guild Wars (if it only existed) and not this sorry excuse for a money grabbing cash cow of a MMO we call Guild Wars 2.

No, it really sounds like you should get some sense and stop purposefully expose yourself to something that you obviously can’t stand. If the game doesn’t fit you as a player, don’t throw time/money at it expecting it to change. That’s not a realistic approach.

Do you think I even have a reason to log into Gw2 any more?

I haven’t done so in months.

Its just disappointing to see something you spent so much of your time on go completely belly-up…. and then still refuse to give up.

I liked Gw2 at the start, but only because I forced myself to like it.

I refused to accept the fact that all my preparation was completely wasted on a game that I didn’t like.

It took me a long time to come to grips with it, (i kept thinking things were going to get better) but I’ve long since gotten over it.

Guild Wars 2 is not something I support any more.

But you spend time coming to the forums. Total waste of time if you ask me.

Obviously there are people here who do like it. You don’t. Shrugs. Why leave a game and then come back to complain about walking away from it? Seems to me that that that’s neither constructive, nor particularly helpful even to you.

Hope you find a game you do like. Some of us still like this one.

I feel that if I get enough people to gather up the pitchforks then Anet might actually start caring about their playerbase instead of the dollar signs.

Unless enough people like the game. Which seems to be the case. Anet changes the game to make it what you want, it’s likely to lose some of the people that currently are enjoying the game. The game is what it is and there are people, apparently more than a few of us, who do like it.

Sure it can be improved, but I can pretty much guarantee you it’s not going to do an about face and become the game you want. I think you’re wasting your time. Of course it is your time to waste.

There is an expansion taking shape right now.
What shape it takes has still yet to be determined.

I just hope when it finally does arrive that it brings all of you guys everything you want.
…because it won’t have what I want.

Stand up and voice your opinions now and don’t be pushed around or support a game developer that only decided to push an xpac after the cash well dried up.

You’re deluding yourself.

The shape the expansion takes in isn’t going to change in leaps and bounds. It’s going to change in this skill or that skill. But the PvP thing that they’re creating, that’s been created. The WvW maps, that’s been created.

If you want more dungeons and Anet hasn’t created them, those aren’t being created. If you want mounts and Anet hasn’t created them, those haven’t been created.

So again, what you’re saying changes nothing about the expansion. Maybe it’ll change some balance stuff, but nothing major. Which means either you’ll like what Anet puts out, or you won’t.

Either way, you’re still coming to a game you’ve given up on, that many people are happy with, that you want to change into something else, which might not make those people happy. We do pretty much have a good idea of what this game is and enough people are excited about it.

Details will change. That’s why those of us who like the game are here.

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

^just lol

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

Vayne.8563

GW2 isn’t WoW. They give us new content CONSTANTLY! Guess how much of that content has been something that you had to buy… None of it. What’s the issue here? If you just love the game and want to support them, there is some really cool stuff in the gem store with no pay to win-ness to it. I say keep up the good work ANET. Y’all rock.

You’re right. It’s not WoW.

In almost all WoW expansions, you get new dungeons & raids, new pvp maps & modes, new continents & zones, new classes, new races, new crafting professions, new gear, new mounts & pets, new skills & talents, new game mechanics, new quests & stories, new arenas, etc. And this is just the expansions. After that, they constantly update the game throughout the expansion’s lifetime (the exception is WoD so far).

Just read each patch notes from patch 1.0 to patch 2.4, and you’ll realize how much they added in around 3 years: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Category:World_of_Warcraft_patches

And a few months after the expansion WoW lost 3 million people, all the people they’d gained, because that’s more than enough time to get through all the new content.

The wait between content releases in WoW is far far greater than the wait between content releases in Guild Wars 2. And regardless of anything, it doesn’t really matter how much WoW provides if you don’t like the game (which many don’t).

That’s why i mentioned “(the exception is WoD so far)”. We’re talking about a 10 year old game. GW2 isn’t even 3. WoD is the exception because it lost more people in one quarter than anytime in it’s history. Regardless, that doesn’t change the fact that WoW expansions released a significant amount of content between expansions.

So what, Lotro gets major updates between expansions? DDO gets multiple updates between expansions? Age of Conan gets multiple updates between expansions? Most games don’t. By most I mean if you list ALL MMOs, you’d find that well over 50% of them don’t really over major updates between expansions.

I use WoW is as an example because most people know it. But there are plenty of people who stop playing games to wait for the expansion in every MMO I’ve ever played.

And yes, there may be exceptions but they are just that…exceptions.

Behellagh.1468

^just lol

Thanks, I’m here all week. Try the veal and don’t forget to tip your waiter.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

No you dont remember corectly

They gave the 1,5 gold reward for completing the exploration modes before making that statement , with huge amount of gold gain vs less time needed to spent in the game (they made MORE rewarding than Orr + Karka area and now in this list Drytop and Silverwaste are included) .

And it not still ’’nerfed’’ cause a low amount of ppl are still doing them , vs the open world areas listed above .

Then they gave the Atherpart dungeons , where a pitiful amount of ppl did them and whoever did them labeled it ’’tedious’’ and not rewarding for my time’’

And every few months the ‘’system bugs’’ and forces you to have 2 daily achivement of Factrals ( a-Do any lvl Fractal , b- Do a 1-10 lvl Fractal ) . And that can server as a metric how many ppl are doing dungeons and how many wants open world areas

The ‘’in charge’’ of the dungeon team , rather that getiing inegrated in other GW2 projects (he loved creating dungeons) felt like leaving the company , because of that ‘’metrics-numbers’’ are too low

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

snip , so the players who are 40+ years old might not even make it till the last expansion if it continues so slow. snip

I take that personally. I am 50 plus, and I will be gaming when my grandkids have their own.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Instead of living story they would be better off adding more dynamic events. Make them more detailed and longer chains.

I’m not sure that’s the way to go. I think dynamic events tend to be lost on people, because even though some people do like them (myself included) dynamic events don’t really offer progression. They cycle. They repeat over and over again.

What this game has really been missing is some form of progression. The only thing that kept some of us going is that the story was actually moving forward. It was progressing. I could see myself going somewhere.

That would be lost if you just added a bunch of dynamic events.

And historically, any time new events have been added to the world, they’ve been largely ignored, unless the living story has “encouraged” people to do them. Think of the toxic spore events, which were all added.

If they did them right they wouldn’t be ignored. The event chains need to be much longer and show some progression. And they need to not be undone completely overnight because no one was playing that map. For example when humans take over centaur camps they should actually construct human settlements rather than just have a few human npcs standing in a centaur camp. Get it to the point where you can do an event chain where you turn a centaur camp into an entire fort by doing events. That shows real progression in the world. Then the centaurs start using siege weapons to try to tear it down. Etc.

My point is, it’s not really progression if it repeats. They added two new zones filled to the brim with DE’s. Saying the should add DE’s is ignoring both Dry Top and Silverwastes which are chock full of them.

I think you’re using the term progression in place of persistent world. Persisting changes, don’t equal progression unless they’re permanent.

For example as you level to 80, each time you level, you gain a permanent level. You don’t go backwards. As you do your personal story, you don’t ever go backwards. You’re moving forward through the story.

But events cycle, it’s part of the nature of events. I’ve killed Tequatl and the Shatterer more times than I can count. If Anet adds another ten events like that, they’ll all become like Tequatl and the Shatterer.

Even long even chains like the Balthazar chain in Straits of Devestation (one of my favorite chains in the game), can’t be said to be progression because it’s only progression for X number of times. That’s why stuff like Zhaitan and the personal story is instanced. Because the world doesn’t progress but your story can.

I don’t believe that dynamic events, as nice as they would be (and again we have two new zones full of them) are going to offer the progression most people need to feel like they’re moving forward.

When we destroyed the Nightmare Tower, that was progression because the Nightmare tower no longer exists in the open world. The changes it made to Kessex Hills were both persistent and permanent. That’s the only real way to feel progression, at least for some of us.

I’m not confusing anything you’re just talking about something other than what I’m talking about.

They have not properly done dynamic events.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Only skimmed the thread, but… are all you people forgetting it took roughly the same amount of time for GW1 to get an expansion?

Behellagh.1468

Expansion yes, new campaign, aka a reskinned version of the same game, no.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Wow, didn´t need to say the F.. word trice and you show up. :p

Which is why after 3 months the HoT trailer still hasn´t broken 500k views.
As a comparison, the EvE Valkyrie Trailer is now at 800k.

Polish > hype

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

y are people concerned about untouched dungeons when wvw is a match up nightmare

Vayne.8563

Wow, didn´t need to say the F.. word trice and you show up. :p

What does that mean, exactly? What kind of ridiculous and arbitrary way to judge a games success than who views a trailer on one site. Which site are you specifically looking at.

I tend to do things like look at how many people are on each game’s reddit at each time of day. And for fantasy RPGs, with the exception of WoW who’s ahead of everyone, Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy XIV are far ahead of everyone else.

Let’s see, you’re comparing the popularity of a sandbox space game that’s many years old with virtually zero competition with Guild Wars 2. lol

Still desperate after all these years. The game is doing fine. The game is making money. The game is successful by anyone’s standards but yours.

The very fact that Eve is popular as a game in that genre is not something I’d dispute. Of course it’s popular. So’s WoW.

Doesn’t change the fact that Guild Wars 2 is a successful game. It doesn’t make 6 million dollars a month because I said so. It makes 6 million dollars a month according to NcSoft’s quarterly report.

ESO and Wildstar and Archeage all came out after Guild Wars 2, do you think those game are doing better than this one?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Six million dollars a month? That’s pretty kitten impressive if the majority of those sales are gemstore alone.

Gone to Reddit.

Vayne.8563

Six million dollars a month? That’s pretty kitten impressive if the majority of those sales are gemstore alone.

You’d think they’d have to be.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

What does that mean, exactly? What kind of ridiculous and arbitrary way to judge a games success than who views a trailer on one site. Which site are you specifically looking at.

The site is called Youtube and has a global counter of views.
Which directly transfers into a precise metric for people who actually care about the game.

An obscure trailer to a barely known (outside their core niche players) game easily beats it in a third of the time.

As usual the rest of your word wall is immaterial to the discussion.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

You didn’t answer the question, as usual. No matter; nothing more than was expected.

Quoting your questions followed by my answer:
Question: How do we know, positively, that the ‘announcement’ caused sales figures to increase?
Answer: “there was not much more else going on in that quarter”

Question: “Could it possibly have been the multiple sales of the original game?”
Answer: “I see the sales of the games as part of the announcement.”

Question: “Or, a combination, at best?”
Answer: “Yes I think it’s a combination of the two, but I also see the two as linked to each other. The sales where clearly done in the light of the upcoming expansions don’t you think?”

Question: ”Does news of an expansion cause people to buy multiple accounts?”
Answer: “It makes sense that as soon as you come with a new expansion the last expansion (or game) does get cheaper what indeed will also mean many people who did not have it or wanted a second account will buy that.”

I also asked a question: “The sales where clearly done in the light of the upcoming expansions don’t you think?” and that is the only question that did go unanswered.

So a lot of false blaming but doing exactly what you falsely accuse others of. No matter; nothing more than was expected. It’s what you get if you only see what you want to see being it form blind hate or blind love.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why in the world does news of an expansion spur players to buy a second account? That makes little sense to me. Now, a 75% decrease in cost? Yes, that would entice me to buy a second account, but not the announcement of an expansion.

Just because you want it to fit your agenda does not make it so, or make sense.

Vayne.8563

Which directly transfers into a precise metric for people who actually care about the game.

An obscure trailer to a barely known (outside their core niche players) game easily beats it in a third of the time.

It would be if I watched the video on Youtube. I did see it on Twitch during the live presentation. I think there were quite a few people watch that.

But yes, what I’ve said directly pertains to what you say.

If there’s only one game in a subgenre with virtually zero competition, that game has less competition and is likely to attract attention from every single player who likes that game type. Basic logic.

If there’s dozens of games, ie more competition, the market is saturated and less people will follow each game. So comparing a game that’s at the top of it’s genre with a game that is competing with several others and has one clear other game on top of the genre (beating everyone by a long margin), one would think that it’s easy to understand how comparing hits on a trailer video might be misleading.

Aside from the simple fact that Guild Wars 2 is a more casual game and probably more people playing Eve are vested in what’s coming next. There are plenty of people in my Guild who haven’t bothered to look at any of the Hot info. They’re simply more casually involved in the game. I’m wagering there are less casual Eve players than Guild Wars 2 players. Contradict that if you like.

So using an arbitrary criteria of how many hits a video on Youtube gets, particularly if so many of us saw it on launch on Twitch anyway and never bothered to watch it again, means what?

How many people actually participate in reddits? That, in my mind, is a far more valid criteria.

If you can’t see that, that’s okay. Most people will probably be able to.

Devata.6589

Come on we waited 3 years for 1 expansion this is even higher than the World of Warcraft waiting times lol (its 2 years there) and the funny is that after this elder dragon there are 4 more that means at least 4 more expansions, so the players who are 40+ years old might not even make it till the last expansion if it continues so slow. Will Heart of Thorns be released this year at least?

While most of the people here have been kind of harsh in their response, my initial reaction to your OP was one of pity. I can’t imagine how awful it must be to have been brainwashed into thinking that paying an additional fee for content that lasts 1 month once every 2 years on top of a monthly fee just for access to the game is superior to receiving free content updates on a semi-monthly schedule. I mean, you’re being robbed of both enjoyment and cash and being told to say you like it!

OP is asking for a subscription now? I was thinking he only says he prefers more expansions, possible suggestion he likes the content you see in expansions more. That is about it.

Devata.6589

While not everyone has enjoyed all the stuff added since launch, you cannot say Anet has sat on their hands for 3 years. They have worked on, and added, quite a lot over the last few years.

Anet’s initial plan was to frequently add content to create a living world experience, and avoid the standard expansion model used by most MMO’s. They added LS.S1 and LS.S2, as well as a few feature patches and other stuff. We’ve had new skills, new stories, new maps, new features, new items and many more.

None of the things they added over the years have been packaged up into an expansion, so to those who maybe haven’t looked into it, or to those who are new to the game, it may appear that Anet has done nothing for 3 years, when in fact they have done a lot. Some might argue it wasn’t enjoyable, but that doesn’t change the fact that they have added a lot of stuff to the game.

Moving forward I suspect Anet will adopt a mix of both models. Continued LS content and feature packs, alongside the occasional expansion pack. And for that reason I do not think we have any reason to complain. If you do not like that content added, then that is a different topic all together, but you cannot claim Anet has not given us anything since launch.

What I am wondering is who did claim they did not give us anything? Who are you addressing with this comment?

Devata.6589

How do we know, positively, that the ‘announcement’ caused sales figures to increase? Could it possibly have been the multiple sales of the original game? Or, a combination, at best?

I think I’ve seen more posts from people who purchased a second (or more) account, than posts from new people. Does news of an expansion cause people to buy multiple accounts?

Hmm…interesting, if that is the case.

I doubt the expansion announcement alone caused more sales, the price reduction was far more important. People won’t buy a game because an expansion was announced to be released in some unspecified time in the future. I expect them to do another sale when the HoT release date is revealed, that might give an ever higher boost in sales.

You see how the two are related. There where sales before, while not as cheap, and they did not create an increase in results (at best it made for less drop).

The fact that it’s now so low / cheap is very likely because a new expansion is coming (they do not want to create a big paywall for new players) and the news around the expansion gets attention to people, getting people back. So the two are very much related to each other and together make for better sales. It’s very much like how around the release of the second GW1 campaign there was likely also an increase in sales of the initial game and with around the release of GW2 there was likely an increase in sales of the complete GW1 series.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

The only people who think we’re waiting 3 years for an expansion are people who aren’t actually paying attention to what’s been going on. Or people who decided there much be expansions and started counting from day 1 when no paid expansion was actually in the works.

Which is probably why they’re doing it to begin with, because there’s a lot such people.

Look at what we know about the xpack so far. Everything about it could be easily released piece-by-piece is LS3-patches. While money is brought in via gem store sales. So either those dried up big time and they need to crunch an xpack to get more money (but the NCsoft income report doesn’t suggest this), or like with many things they caved to the playerbase.
Which is exactly what we want, no? :P

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

How do we know, positively, that the ‘announcement’ caused sales figures to increase? Could it possibly have been the multiple sales of the original game? Or, a combination, at best?

I think I’ve seen more posts from people who purchased a second (or more) account, than posts from new people. Does news of an expansion cause people to buy multiple accounts?

Hmm…interesting, if that is the case.

I doubt the expansion announcement alone caused more sales, the price reduction was far more important. People won’t buy a game because an expansion was announced to be released in some unspecified time in the future. I expect them to do another sale when the HoT release date is revealed, that might give an ever higher boost in sales.

You see how the two are related. There where sales before, while not as cheap, and they did not create an increase in results (at best it made for less drop).

The fact that it’s now so low / cheap is very likely because a new expansion is coming (they do not want to create a big paywall for new players) and the news around the expansion gets attention to people, getting people back. So the two are very much related to each other and together make for better sales. It’s very much like how around the release of the second GW1 campaign there was likely also an increase in sales of the initial game and with around the release of GW2 there was likely an increase in sales of the complete GW1 series.

Only the expansion is still a long way away of release. As I said if they do a sale when the expansion is actually released (which is 99% likely) they will sell a lot more. However, if there was no sale with the expansion announcement, I doubt many people would buy the game just from that alone. On the other hand we’ve already seen how sales spike with each sale (which is natural). So the price reduction was a more “important” factor than the expansion announcement.

Devata.6589

So it’s very nice that for you the LS works, still the LS is no expansion and did not deliver what many people expect from an expansion / what they wanted. That makes the LS irrelevant. Sure, it is what Anet had in mind (LS as a way to release expansion-like content) but it’s not how many players experience the LS.

So because it’s not an expansion it’s irrelevant? Irrelevant in regards to what?

Irrelevant to those asking for an expansion because the LS did not deliver what they wanted.

OP talks about not having expansions, or that they take to long, and then people point towards the LS, but OP did not ask for the LS, the LS clearly does not deliver what he expect from an expansion (proven by his comment) so then the LS is irrelevant a comment to his question.

(like a true B2P game like Gw1)

I was sure GW1 had an cash shop? Guess not then.

Funny how you quote one element out of the complete sentence and then made a false assumption based on that while the complete sentence clearly makes a difference between the two models, and having a cash-shop not being that difference.

Let me quote myself again.

“This ‘free’ living story simply means the game needs to make money with the cash-shop (like a F2P game) not with expansions (like a true B2P game like Gw1) with all negative side-effect of cash-shop games that come with that (like the boring grind that you can of course buy your way out of).”

So the difference I make in this sentence is making money (mainly) with the cash-shop vs making money (mainly) with expansion. GW1 had a cash-shop but they ‘made the money’ with expansions. GW2 has now a focus on the cash-shop to make i’s money.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

We’ve actually seen quite a few people who bought the game because of the coming expansion. HoT is end-game content. They’re starting now to be ready when HoT comes out.

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Stop comparing GW2 to WoW, just STOP………

Since we already are. First expansion for WoW, Burning Crusade, release a 2 and a half years after initial release, GW2 is just after that stage.

Stop complaining, dear kitten

Devata.6589

For all the people pointing to the LS.

Clearly the LS was not able to deliver what many people like to see and expect from an expansion. That also explains while quarter after quarter results dropped while last quarter with the announcement of the expansion is did go up again.

So it’s very nice that for you the LS works, still the LS is no expansion and did not deliver what many people expect from an expansion / what they wanted. That makes the LS irrelevant. Sure, it is what Anet had in mind (LS as a way to release expansion-like content) but it’s not how many players experience the LS.

LS isn’t irrelevant, it was the model they were working to.

A lot didn’t really like LS including myself but that still doesn’t make it irrelevant.

3 years for an expansion, what a load of kitten. If you want to judge how long it’s taken for an expansion, you should start from when they abandoned the LS model and started to work on an expansion.

It’s irrelevant for those asking for an expansion (because clearly the LS did not bring what they wanted). While people here point to that same LS as a reaction to the person asking for that expansion. In that light the LS is irrelevant.

I don’t say it’s irrelevant to the game in general, it’s irrelevant in that discussion.

And you are right they are likely not much longer than a year building on the expansion (I think most of the work started after the Chinese release).

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

What I am wondering is who did claim they did not give us anything? Who are you addressing with this comment?

While the OP did not directly state Anet has not given us anything, it did indirectly (by complaining about no expansions for 3 years) imply that Anet should have given us something in that time.

To be honest, I really don’t see the point of this topic. People are complaining its taken Anet 3 years to make an expansion, when it is painfully clear to anyone with eyes, that Anet HAS been giving us other stuff INSTEAD of an expansion. I personally like both methods (LS and Expansion), and do not see any issue with a lack of expansion for 3 years.

The fact of the matter is, its taken 3 years before we got an expansion, but that is not a bad thing because we got lots of free stuff given to us in that time. How many buy to play games can you say do that? Subscription based games still charge you for expansions AND other extra content. Very rarely do MMO companies give you free stuff, especially in the quantity Anet has given it. People really don’t have any reason to complain about having no expansion for 3 years, and if they think they do then they need their heads examined.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Devata.6589

Come on we waited 3 years for 1 expansion this is even higher than the World of Warcraft waiting times lol (its 2 years there) and the funny is that after this elder dragon there are 4 more that means at least 4 more expansions, so the players who are 40+ years old might not even make it till the last expansion if it continues so slow. Will Heart of Thorns be released this year at least?

You must not know WoW very well. It took 3.1 years for BC to come out after Vanilla and to be fair it hasn’t even been 3 years of this game yet, at least not for another 3 months.

Release date Vanilla: 23-11-2004
Release date BC: 16-01-2007

That is to be exact 2 years, one month and 23 days. And when looking at other MMO’s WoW was one of the slowest with releasing its first expansion.

Debates are very useful, but only if the correct numbers are used.

It’s funny how on this forum until reaching that moment, those defending the lack of expansion pointed out that WoW also took longer (while WoW is an P2P game, for a B2P game I expect more regular expansions as that should be the way to finance a B2P game). However at the moment we reached that point (I made a thread about this subject about 2 years, one month and 23 days after GW2’s release) suddenly that comparison should not be made anymore and it’s not relevant what other games do. It’s nice to see that now you (who got the number wrong) point out to that date again pretty much as an excuse.

However, it does say a lot about those ‘defending’. Whatever happens, they always turn it so it’s good. Follow any mount discussion. Every time a step in the direction of mounts was set the reason why mounts where bad changed making what there was now fine. I remember the mount discussion from in the beginning, the mounts would be in the way filling up the space to much and they would be ugly and not fit the lore (while the lore cleary has them). Then when we did see some cosmetic mounts like the flying broom and the flying carpet. Suddenly the ‘space’ and lore was not a problem anymore but mounts should not be able to give you better movement (like speed) ‘forcing’ other people to use them. Then the gliders for HoT where introduced. Now it suddenly was not a problem anymore then you could fly (something that did get a lot of hate in the past) and that for some elements of the game it was required. No, it was now fine because you could not use them everywhere, only in some areas.
You could simply add in mounts as you see them in any game, give them some combat ability and they would be fine with it, because you could not compare them to mounts in other games.
Why do I mention this. Because it does show how many of those who defend any complain are clearly doing it out of a love and for them it’s like somebody is saying something negative about their baby. In the end however it does not matter much what Anets throws at them, as long as long as they add in an ‘excuse’ why it’s ‘oke’.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

LS is relevant because LS was intended to be the method of content delivery rather than traditional expansions. A lot of people didn’t like this model and complained, which is a shame because the lull in the lead up to the expansion is leading me to consider putting the game down for the first time since I started playing. Living story was enough for me, the current lack of content is making me look elsewhere.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Why do I mention this. Because it does show how many of those who defend any complain are clearly doing it out of a love and for them it’s like somebody is saying something negative about their baby.

Theres always try to find a middle to ground to pleasse the community , by adding a backfire with that .
Like the implamentation fo the Achendant gear , where is crusial only in Fractal (for ppl that wanted progression)
+ no movement speed boost mounts (where they dont have to create huge maps with wastelands fillers in it + and they dont have to double the amount of ground movement (like you are 100 meter athlete)
+ flying mounts that you can fly for a limited time , and not stay in there havering forever in the air

You see they listen 100% :P
So we can be as harsh to the other as much as we like :P
Its the internet :P

Edit: Why the kitten , we cant have this mount ??!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ46aKjB9oE

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Maybe the Living World and the Living Story didn’t work out the way ANet wanted. They seemed to have wanted a game world where every day was different and non repeated, like the real world. It didn’t work out for them, people didn’t want this. But you should give them credit for trying to do something different than the old standby of no content for 1-2 years and then an expansion, rinse and repeat like the other games.

So, there wasn’t an expansion for a long time because they were trying something else. They deserve consideration for that at least.

Yeah .. trying to do something different than just copying the old stuff again and
again is always some kind of trial and error and you only see if it works after you
released it.

But if nobody tries something new we will live in WoW clones forever, since
Blizzard is the last company on earth that will ever invent something new.
They can only copy and paste the ideas from other companys.

Hopefully the upcoming MMOs (Black Desert, Tree of Savior, Skyforge, etc) will be better, and most of us won’t be here.

Yeah .. start here to make it a better game .. lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/36cv5r/eu_and_na_versions_differences/

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Vayne.8563

Why do I mention this. Because it does show how many of those who defend any complain are clearly doing it out of a love and for them it’s like somebody is saying something negative about their baby. In the end however it does not matter much what Anets throws at them, as long as long as they add in an ‘excuse’ why it’s ‘oke’.

Okay but I never mentioned how long WoW took to make an expansion. Not once. I did mention how little content WoW provides between expansions though and I did provide context that there are people in my guild who play WoW for a short period of time after an expansion and then return to Guild Wars 2, all of which is pertinent.

Your blanket dismissal of people because they disagree with you is a terrible tactic to try to win an argument. Even words like defend any complaint…well I don’t defend any complaint, I only stand up to the ones I disagree with or the ones I think are unfair. There are plenty of complaints I don’t stand up against at all and a few that I’ve mentioned myself.

In your attempt to discredit people, you lose credit.

The game has no expansions so far, but it’s still released content during the time between launch and the release of the first expansion and that content can’t be ignored.

Some people realize Anet hadn’t planned the expansion at launch and was trying something else that didn’t work out, so now they’re putting what they had been working on into an expansion.

I think that’s pretty clear. But I’d prefer if you avoid trying to imply that people who love the game are blind to it’s faults, because it’s not true.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It’s funny how on this forum until reaching that moment, those defending the lack of expansion pointed out that WoW also took longer (while WoW is an P2P game, for a B2P game I expect more regular expansions as that should be the way to finance a B2P game). However at the moment we reached that point (I made a thread about this subject about 2 years, one month and 23 days after GW2’s release) suddenly that comparison should not be made anymore and it’s not relevant what other games do. It’s nice to see that now you (who got the number wrong) point out to that date again pretty much as an excuse.

Actually, last content I saw was about a few months ago. And it was monthly or biweekly before that. I dunno where you get your GW2 numbers, but I played WoW for ~9 years, and the content release model is worlds different.

That being said, yes, ANet is lethargically slow in dev speed, but this is not related – or rather, limited – to the content releases. If they were to use WoW’s, they’d do it half as fast, but they don’t. All of their dev work is slow. Balance patches are virtually inexistent, content releases take a long time, new features come out at a snail’s pace.

Ofc, given the fact that I don’t pay for this game outside of the odd gem store payment, I couldn’t really mind this any less (consider a steam backlog of ~200 games, it’s good my MMO isn’t using up all my game time). So the whole complaint is a wee bit moot, I don’t pay for anything I’m not getting, I’m not paying for getting stuff slower than when I was paying.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

LMAO!!! You can bold all the words you want to in the statement of your opinion….it still is your opinion, and nothing else.

Comparing EvE to any other mmorpg out there is just downright silly. I have played it quite a bit, and while EvE is a mmorpg, that is about all the similarity that exists between EvE and other mmorpgs. It is not surprising that an EvE trailer video commands so many views, as their trailers are very sci-fi space oriented, with really cool graphics and such.

But using a comparison of view numbers on an EvE trailer vs. a GW2 trailer, and then claiming that it is some sort of “precise metric” that can be used to measure customer participation/interest is illogical at best and completely laughable at worst. Vayne is very correct, in that it is a ridiculous and completely arbitrary way of judging a game’s popularity/interest level. Vayne’s comment, imo, is certainly much more material to this discussion than your extremely odd ‘youtube theory’.

Your entire assumption sounds more like it is based on your own wishful thinking, and nothing else.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

Okay but I never mentioned how long WoW took to make an expansion. Not once. I did mention how little content WoW provides between expansions though and I did provide context that there are people in my guild who play WoW for a short period of time after an expansion and then return to Guild Wars 2, all of which is pertinent.

Regarding the other MMOs release little content before expansions argument, I have to add what other MMOs (or at least the ones I played with) do better than GW2, which is cycle reccuring events. Since WoW is the example, there is around 10 recurring festivals in addition to a festival that occurs every month , not mentioning things like fishing contests.

Another great example is GW1, where the amount of festivals wasn’t that many, but instead they had a bonus every weekend which promoted certain aspects of the game by adding increased drop rates or double rewards.

In GW2 what do we have? Only a few things come to mind, like queen’s gauntlet , festival of the four winds ( which isn’t really possible to bring back atm) , holidays, SAB and dragon bash… and I think that’s about it. Even those only occur once a year max.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

The game has no expansions so far, but it’s still released content during the time between launch and the release of the first expansion and that content can’t be ignored.

Some people realize Anet hadn’t planned the expansion at launch and was trying something else that didn’t work out, so now they’re putting what they had been working on into an expansion.

I think that’s pretty clear. But I’d prefer if you avoid trying to imply that people who love the game are blind to it’s faults, because it’s not true.

Everything ArenaNet has added to the game post launch is kinda irrelevant really since most MMO’s release content patches, I’d actually argue that other MMO’s put more content into the game in a year of patches than ArenaNet has in 3. If we are using WoW from launch to first expansion it demolishes ArenaNet. If we use FFXIV from it’s 2nd launch until first expansion it absolutely destroys GW2. Just flat out compare expansions of WoW, GW2, and FFXIV, GW2 looks pretty bad.

We can certainly recognize that ArenaNet tried something and it didn’t work, but that’s putting it too lightly. Almost everything they’ve tried hasn’t worked out and the bulk of it could have been avoided if ArenaNet had talked to it’s playerbase. Having tons of temporary content was a no brainer that it would be a waste of time/money when the endgame was/is so tragically sparse. How many times has ArenaNet released something and the players have collectively looked at ArenaNet puzzled? Just look at the commander color change option, they bungled that one and it took a massive player outcry to get it changed. EotM was supposed to be for WvW players yet it’s used for karma farming and leveling. The new player experience, the new trait system, ascended gear, ruins of power, etc. It all adds up to 3 years of living story updates, 1/2 of which are gone for good, and very little support in any other part of the game.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Everything ArenaNet has added to the game post launch is kinda irrelevant really since most MMO’s release content patches, I’d actually argue that other MMO’s put more content into the game in a year of patches than ArenaNet has in 3.

Wow, that’s a pretty obtuse statement right there. The content Anet has added to GW2 is irrelevant because it doesn’t match the approach for introducing content that typical MMO’s have? No words to say how nonsensical that is.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Devata.6589

While the OP did not directly state Anet has not given us anything, it did indirectly (by complaining about no expansions for 3 years) imply that Anet should have given us something in that time.

To be honest, I really don’t see the point of this topic. People are complaining its taken Anet 3 years to make an expansion, when it is painfully clear to anyone with eyes, that Anet HAS been giving us other stuff INSTEAD of an expansion. I personally like both methods (LS and Expansion), and do not see any issue with a lack of expansion for 3 years.

The fact of the matter is, its taken 3 years before we got an expansion, but that is not a bad thing because we got lots of free stuff given to us in that time. How many buy to play games can you say do that? Subscription based games still charge you for expansions AND other extra content. Very rarely do MMO companies give you free stuff, especially in the quantity Anet has given it. People really don’t have any reason to complain about having no expansion for 3 years, and if they think they do then they need their heads examined.

“Very rarely do MMO companies give you free stuff” Except all F2P games that is.

“people really don’t have any reason to complain about having no expansion for 3 years, and if they think they do then they need their heads examined.”

So if people prefer the content you see in expansions over the content released during the last 3 years / LS they are sick in the head?

And if people prefer Expansions because they do not want ‘free’ content because that means Anet needs to make money with the cash-shop making everything such a grind or meaning most cosmetics are not in-game but in the cash-shop they are also sick in the head.

Come on now. There are plenty or perfectly good reasons why people they don’t like it that it took 3 years for an expansions.

Devata.6589

Your blanket dismissal of people because they disagree with you is a terrible tactic to try to win an argument. Even words like defend any complaint…well I don’t defend any complaint, I only stand up to the ones I disagree with or the ones I think are unfair. There are plenty of complaints I don’t stand up against at all and a few that I’ve mentioned myself.

In your attempt to discredit people, you lose credit.

“Okay but I never mentioned how long WoW took to make an expansion. Not once.” Nor did I say you did. Not once.

“I did mention how little content WoW provides between expansions”
I also did not say anything about this.

“Your blanket dismissal of people because they disagree with you is a terrible tactic to try to win an argument.”
Yeah.. maybe you should not feel so ‘addressed’ by everything you read and then complain you did not say it. No you did not say any of those things, that is why I also did not say you did, anywhere. I also did not try to dismiss anything of as as it was not addressed ad you.

“Even words like defend any complaint…well I don’t defend any complaint” Also that was not addressed at you specifically but an general. I even gave mount examples clearly nobody talked about here and now.

Talking about a bad way to try and ‘win an argument’. But I guess you simply mistakes my comment as being addressed to you so forgive you for it. Just, next time make sure somebody it talking to you and talking about your statement before you go bezerk on him because ‘you did not say those things’.

“I think that’s pretty clear. But I’d prefer if you avoid trying to imply that people who love the game are blind to it’s faults, because it’s not true.”

Ah this is why you did feel addressed? Anyway, I did not say they where blind for it’s faults. I simply gave some examples where people where defending the then current system over suggestions being made. Then Anet did implement those suggestions or part of them meaning many of the reasons those defending did not want the change, where now in the game, and then suddenly it where no problems anymore. That is a simple fact (you very likely know this to be true as you are a lot on the forums) and is very useful to hold in the back of your mind when having these sorts of discussions here.

However I did not blame you for doing this. I fact I know you stay honest to your idea’s. You where ‘defending’ the temporary content. After it changed you did settle for it but also keep saying the temporary content did have elements you now miss in the current system. (Those same things you used before to ‘defend’ the temporary content). So no, I was not talking about you.

Devata.6589

Actually, last content I saw was about a few months ago. And it was monthly or biweekly before that. I dunno where you get your GW2 numbers, but I played WoW for ~9 years, and the content release model is worlds different.

That being said, yes, ANet is lethargically slow in dev speed, but this is not related – or rather, limited – to the content releases. If they were to use WoW’s, they’d do it half as fast, but they don’t. All of their dev work is slow. Balance patches are virtually inexistent, content releases take a long time, new features come out at a snail’s pace.

Ofc, given the fact that I don’t pay for this game outside of the odd gem store payment, I couldn’t really mind this any less (consider a steam backlog of ~200 games, it’s good my MMO isn’t using up all my game time). So the whole complaint is a wee bit moot, I don’t pay for anything I’m not getting, I’m not paying for getting stuff slower than when I was paying.

Sure, then again I was very much prepared (no prefer!) to pay for an expansion once a year if that also resulted in the content I liked and a game where not many of the fun items would be in the cash-shop or many of the cosmetics would be behind a boring grind.

So simply the fact that I did not have to pay for it does not make it better for me personally.

Vayne.8563

Everything ArenaNet has added to the game post launch is kinda irrelevant really since most MMO’s release content patches, I’d actually argue that other MMO’s put more content into the game in a year of patches than ArenaNet has in 3.

Wow, that’s a pretty obtuse statement right there. The content Anet has added to GW2 is irrelevant because it doesn’t match the approach for introducing content that typical MMO’s have? No words to say how nonsensical that is.

More too the point, it doesn’t matter if it’s more or less than other MMOs, since it was all free. I’m pretty sure this is more free content than most other MMOs offer. I know for a fact there are people playing this game for years who paid the box price and not a cent more.

My point is we did get content (whether you liked the content or not is another matter) and if you were here long enough for it to have been almost 3 years, you got some quite memorable content…whether it’s still in the game or not.

I went to a concert five years ago. That concert is long gone, but I still had the benefit of going to it. It was still a concert.

Posted by: KaizerGr.4815

KaizerGr.4815

1. EVE: Valkyrie is a multiplayer dogfighting game (a simulator), you can not compare it with GW2 its not the same type of game.
2. EVE as an MMO is unique, GW2 is not unique (except no trinity).
2. EVE: Online has 12yrs history and CCP does not have a leash like Arena has from Ncsoft.

If you really want to compare GW2 with an upcoming MMORPG, example: Black Desert Online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNFSw107MQs

(edited by KaizerGr.4815)

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

I think some people just don’t get it that GW2 (now) has such a awesome ground.
The fast and mobile combat, the wardrobe, the achievement system, the account system, the leveling and the level scaling are just some of the awesome things in GW2.
THATS why I play the game.

But it’s just missing new content and the challenging content.

Yeah the living story was great, WAS GREAT, till they stopped making them frequently. Every 2 weeks a new patch with content? NICE! But not if there are 1 to 3 months pauses between them and if the content isn’t much anyway or not permanent.

It’s the same with the for no reason “hated” trinity. GW2 isn’t so great because there is no holy trinity it’s because of EVERYTHING else. But yet people instantly tell you to play another game if you want anything like that in their “GW2”.

“You want to play anything else beside a Damage Dealer? PLAY ANOTHER MMO!”

(edited by Neox.3497)

Posted by: Kelly.5293

Kelly.5293

Wow, The original argument was AGAINST an expansion and people wanted the continual bi-monthly updates. Many liked this. I’m quite satisfied they have delivered an expansion sized amount of content over the last three years even though it wasn’t all at once making us wait.

Now they are trying to make the other half happy with an expansion.

+1 to penelopehannibal – “First World Problems.”
+1 to Anet for being awesome.

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

It is all OK, at my current rate ( 9640 Yaks Slain ) I should be just about done with the yakslapper title in 12 years. I am fine with the rate of expansions/LS addition.

PS. I am 55 yrs old now……

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If you’re older than 52, you are clearly dead. Please be advised.