3rd Birthday Gift [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Wish I had read this before I opened my dye. I didn’t know all the prices and just started randomly picking them. Its ok I got a couple more toons coming up with 3rd birthday.

just think , hold on for an moment and then(!) click

its the same with salvaging things

and btw the prices doesnt matter if you dont like the colour it could worth 10k gold and i would not choose it

(edited by Zaron.1987)

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I’m glad I sold all my investment dyes a few days ago. I had a feeling something would happen that would destroy prices again.

I’m a bit 50/50 on this whole thing though because, while I bought all the electro dyes @ around 150g each a while back to unlock them all, I feel kinda cheated because I could have just waited if I knew this was going to happen, and save myself a lot of money. On the other hand I’m glad more people will have access to them for free (in time). And I guess when my first character reaches 3 years old I’ll finally be able to get myself the enamelled crimson dye unlocked for my ranger. There’s no way I’m spending 400g on an enamelled crimson dye! 150g per electro dye was already pushing it.

I dunno. I guess it’s worth it seeing as your character has to be 3 years old to get one of the exclusive dyes, and at least they’re account bound.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

For those deciding, Dulfy made a nice chart of the available choices of dye packs and dyes:
http://dulfy.net/2015/08/25/gw2-third-anniversary-birthday-gifts/

Thank you, Anet, for the very nice birthday presents!

Posted by: Ilmatar.6709

Ilmatar.6709

Thank you ArenaNet for the birthday present! It was awesome surprise!

I got now all those Glint’s Winter Dyes what I have missed You really made all of my character’s happy (and me too)

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Wish I had read this before I opened my dye. I didn’t know all the prices and just started randomly picking them. Its ok I got a couple more toons coming up with 3rd birthday.

just think , hold on for an moment and then(!) click

its the same with salvaging things

and btw the prices doesnt matter if you dont like the colour it could worth 10k gold and i would not choose it

Well I’d like to get as many as I can so I’d prefer to get the expensive ones free. And if I ever get one that isn’t account bound I can then sell it without considering keeping it since I already have it.

Posted by: Mor The Thief.9135

Mor The Thief.9135

So my first character turned 3 yrs old and with it I’ve got the dye gift, only problem is I’ve already unlocked every dye in the game(I know I’m crazy but there are some people that are like me). So my question is, will this gift contain future dyes that aren’t released yet?
Or will we get something else to do with those dyes(some of them would have been really profitable if they weren’t account bound, so putting 4 in the forge for a chance of a far less expensive one seems like a total rip off to me)?

(edited by Mor The Thief.9135)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Since those dyes you get from birthday present cost you zero gold how is it a rip off mate?

Posted by: Susanoo.2586

Susanoo.2586

Now I know I’m part of the minority here but as someone who has purchased Electro Blue and Electro Pink, two of the most expensive dyes, This new birthday present has made me pretty kitten angry. Why should someone get something that has equal value to that of a Precursor for free?
Granted they may not be truly worth the amount of gold they’re listed for… blah blah but they’re still a big ticket item, just as legendaries are, They’re something you can be proud of but this present has taken away all value.

Attachments:

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I have no friends, so the teleports are going in the trash.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Lol.

I am not really supporting the message of this thread, but I surely like your presentation.

10/10, good sir. Would read again.

Mor The Thief.9135

Since those dyes you get from birthday present cost you zero gold how is it a rip off mate?

Some of the dyes can only be gotten for either a super high price on the tp or by paying with gems(which isn’t possible for some of the dyes currently). But those that have already gotten those expensive dyes(and possibly every other dye in the game), there is absolutely no other incentive to use those dyes, and putting them in the forge is like getting a pre in a beta(because they are so expensive, if they weren’t account bound). That’s why it seems like a rip off to me.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Well as soon as I noticed what we got from 3rd year I suspected posts like this would show up.

What I can say is, you had the colour when you bought it those who choose it from the precent have it now but you still had it before that.

Next thing and this is purely in my opinion. That colour is pretty ugly and won’t fit any of my characters so I would have never bought it and I won’t choose it from my precent iether. If I would have got it before I would have sold it.

And next, it was your choice to buy it. This is an MMO, an ever growing game where things change very often and you can rarely know when you do a good deal.

Last but not least, when you get your 3rd years precent you can buy another colour that is almost as expencive if you want… There is one for around 900g so then you will own 2 dyes worth more that 899g each! Yay! …At the moment…

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Mor The Thief.9135

It’s free, you can’t be ripped off by getting something for free.
Lol

If you would have read my post above yours and the one I opened this thread with you would see what I meant by getting ripped off.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

OP, that’s Anet. They’ve been doing this since day 1, they will keep doing it and i thought they could not surprise me anymore. I was wrong.

What can we do? This game’s ideology is that everybody should have everything – not a single iota of feeling rewarded for spending more time, being better (in pvp for example), thinking ahead. It’s all about RNG and “equality”.

And shovels, don’t forget shovels.

All is vain.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

4th year birthday gift will be a legendary of your choice.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Dyes are artficially inflated based on availablity. There was never any guarantee those dyes would remain out of the game. Many things have been reintroduced one way or another. I have a lot more sympathy for those who bought these days than those who speculated on them.

All I can say OP is that there are tons of other dyes you can get for free. It’s a costly lesson, but I can see why Anet did this. The artificial scarcity of those dyes wasn’t really helping the game.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Store the gift until a new set comes out. No-one who knows is probably allowed to tell and the rest of us can just guess.

Mor The Thief.9135

Store the gift until a new set comes out. No-one who knows is probably allowed to tell and the rest of us can just guess.

Guess I will have to wait for a new set to be released then. But would be nice if an anet employee would give us an answer instead of having to make us wait.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

Guess I will have to wait for a new set to be released then. But would be nice if an anet employee would give us an answer instead of having to make us wait.

Yeah I was wondering about this. One of my guildies only has 6 dyes to go til he has everything. Hoping that there’ll be something worthwhile in store for those who already have all of them unlocked.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Thx ANet, I logged on just to say +++1

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

serenke.4806

Just to clarify, i did not speculate on dyes. All i am talking about is that there is absolutely nothing in the game that would be rare. If something is rare in an online game, it is something that many people want (just because it is rare).

When people say that the game is not rewarding, they mean exactly this. You don’t get (cannot get, cannot do anything to get) anything that would make you feel rewarded.

But whatever, i’m pretty sure that for the 4th birthday we will get that legendary of choice.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I have all but 8 dyes atm, I’m just glad I can get the few that remain for just a bit instead oif the 2700 gold they were listed for together…. saves me about a legendary most people will only get 5 maybe 10 dyes now… some will just want celestial and abyss…

I’m fine with it.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: dawna.6290

dawna.6290

Heres the thing. The exclusive dye market is so volatile that its really silly to spend 1k on a dye that will, in all likelihood, be released back onto the gemstore within the year again making that dye way less expensive. Almost every exclusive dye pack has been re-released on a limited basis. And when it does, the prices plummet. Like from 1k to under 100g. I mean, if you really, really have to have that electro dye now and its worth spending 1k gold to get it right this second, go for it. But I wouldnt consider it a “precursor” level value as it is truly artificially inflated.

If you watch the market on dyes closely for a few weeks to a month you will see what I am talking about with the volatility. Dyes that are worth 60g now will be worth 400 next month and then it will crash again, and heck, you dont even need a gem store release for some of these.

Lexsíe
Darkhaven

serenke.4806

I have all but 8 dyes atm, I’m just glad I can get the few that remain for just a bit instead oif the 2700 gold they were listed for together…. saves me about a legendary most people will only get 5 maybe 10 dyes now… some will just want celestial and abyss…

I’m fine with it.

Of course you are fine with it. You just pointed out that you will get 2700g worth of stuff for free.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Byer beware.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The exclusive dye system is inherently unfair. This new birthday boost just made it fair. People who either benefited or were robbed by the old system feel robbed now.

This is the nature of the world. If you fix an injustice, this is done at the expense of those who benefit from that injustice.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Stuff like this happens. Prices rise dramatically, and fall dramatically. Or items that are no longer available suddenly become much more available. So what? That’s the gamble you make when you spend lots of gold.

The same thing will probably happen with precursors once precursor crafting comes out, but as someone who spent over 1000 gold on Zap, I can assure you I won’t complain about it. It’s just how the cookie crumbles, and frankly I’d be happy that other players are able to acquire something through alternative means, as opposed to sacrificing baby Quaggans to the RNGods. I hope they do this with more items in game, so everyone can just have fun rather than play economy wars and stress about whether they’ll ever be able to acquire a specific item or not.

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

That’s a great gift, however, I wonder why the shadow dye kit is not in?

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

So much kitten over some petty dyes. I’ve had every single dye in the game for well over 2 years now and get new ones within weeks of them being implemented and tbh I’m just happy that some ppl get the dye they’ve been yearning for.

And trying to compare the dye prices now is pretty moot since they are always around 20-150g when they were first introduced and could easily be farmed in few days if someone really wanted them.

Zaron.1987

Q.Q Speculants you forget sometimes that this isnt a trading sim. there are other plenty games outside

this is an mmorpg and anet never said they provide and help you with high amount speculations

Zaron.1987

That’s a great gift, however, I wonder why the shadow dye kit is not in?

cause they still drop from blc

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I knew people were going to cry about this but what can Anet do to actually give us meaningful birthday presents without hurting the market. I think it’s an extremely good trade off.

EDIT: I hope Anet takes this approach more often. If they want to reintroduce an item, screw the 5 people trying to manipulate it on the market. This game doesn’t center around them.

… I still want tengu.

(edited by Hammerguard.9834)

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I’m fine with it.

Of course you are fine with it. You just pointed out that you will get 2700g worth of stuff for free.

Understand this 5 free dyes (at least) also will arrive for the OP, and I have ALL other dyes, all base dyes and all exclusive dyes, except those 8.

I have paid a lot but stopped buying if dyes went above 100 gold. A color is nice but not having one woudn’t be a fatal problem. And now I’ll still get ALL. Just need to wait a bit

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

This is an amazing present! Well done, Anet! \o/

nice gifts, but the lvl 30 exp scroll is not necessarily good though, especially if you want to create a character that park near and open JP chest….

I think the silver doubloons drop for characters that are level 21-35, so it should be fine – if that’s what you’re concerned about.

RoF

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

save up for the rainbow dye? wup wup dye? polka dots?

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I’m assuming that new dyes will be added to the kit retroactively as they come out. The reason I believe this is because although some of us veteran players will be getting this reward now, there are other newer players who might only get it in a year or two’s time. It would be odd for some players to get a reward that says “get any dye” a year down the line, only to find out that it only gives you half of the available dyes because a whole lot of new ones have been introduced since.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Didn’t read the whole thread.

For whom has unlocked all dyes, will he be able to use the celebratory dye pack for any of the next new dyes?

edit: a birthday gift unable to be used by some of the old players would be really… u know, right?

(edited by Shirlias.8104)

Posted by: phirefox.2568

phirefox.2568

Now I know I’m part of the minority here but as someone who has purchased Electro Blue and Electro Pink, two of the most expensive dyes, This new birthday present has made me pretty kitten angry. Why should someone get something that has equal value to that of a Precursor for free?

People know how much others are willing to pay to be “special snowflakes” – so they got themselves some Colors in hope to sell them months later for an overinflated price. Electric Blue costed about 100g once, and predictably rose to the current price of ~1000g over the months. it doesn’t even make sense to be angry about it – you could have bought it when it wasn’t worth as much as a precursor. Before buying them, you could have asked yourself the questions that most players would do:

“Might a-net reintroduce Taimi’s Dye Kit in a sale, causing the prices to temporarily plummet down again? Could there be another way for them to grant players access to it? Do i risk it and buy them to have them right now, even if it means that i might have payed way too much for it? Is it worth it ?

If you thought about your purchase just for a moment, and concluded that it was worth the risk, then you should be ready to accept the consequences. If you didn’t think about it… well…

Granted they may not be truly worth the amount of gold they’re listed for… blah blah but they’re still a big ticket item, just as legendaries are, They’re something you can be proud of but this present has taken away all value.

Oh my, this is almost funny. No, not “may”. They are not truly worth the amound of gold they’re listed for. If you buy it, you only show the world that you were willing to risk paying 1000g for a color once worth 100g, for whatever reasons (which may be valid, if you just really like the color for example). But being proud of it ? It’s not like getting Electric Blue would require any kind of “skill” or something – u just need to grind yourself 1000g (which is mostly mind-numbing work anyway). All the value “taken away from it” was purerly artificial anyway – you already payed 800-900g too much for it on purpose, so why exactly would the remaining 100-200g bother you? Are you also bothered about the ones buying it for 100g from the TP? Or the ones getting it as drop from a Black Lions Chest “for free”?

In case you bought those two colors JUST because they were the most expensive( or: so that other players might look up to you) : No, nobody would stare in awe at you just because you bought two overpriced colors. Of course i hope that wasn’t your Intention, though.

A little off topic:
Just remember all those Monks in GW1… Obsidian Armor and Chaos Gloves. And since they had to dye their Armor with the two most expensive Colors (Black & White), you could pretty much define them by their Headpieces and the Color of their Gloves… Ughh… Simply the best example of what happens, if Players buy expensive things just to show that they bought the most expensive things

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In all honesty, the number of people buying the 1000g+ ones is so miniscule that it won’t really affect anything.

On the other hand, those people are among the most likely to have multiple 3 yr old chars.

Honestly, if it reduces the more extraorbitant dye prices (and i’m quite sure it will) it will be a good thing. Those prices were getting a bit out of hand lately. And if anyone got caught hanging with a fortune sunk in electro dyes, well… that person had to know they were running massive risks. Anet has been known to reintroduce old dye kits to gemshop and/or black lions already, so any seller should have been prepared for similar eventuality.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Amazing job on this birthday present! Thank you ArenaNet!

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Clearly what Anet should have done was make a Bootleg Dye Pack that allows players to choose from a selection of dyes that are identical to the ones we can already get, but that are packaged in plain brown bottles and have misspelled or poorly translated names. That way the gift has value to veteran players who want to level-up their Pretty Princess skill while others can feel superior in the knowledge that they have the ~real thing~, purchased with their own sweat and blood the way King Prestige demands.

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Wow, ANet came up trumps this year, can’t wait to log on tonight. I feel like dancing in LA tonight with my new dyes and title just to say, ’yep, I was there at the beginning and look at what I was just given!’ Haha.

Just a thought, if ANet want to shuffle up the dye market then let me suggest another use for them - allow us to dye weapons like we could in GW1. My Asuran necro would look really cool with Caithes dagger dyed electro lemon (assuming the red pattern would stay red).

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

You still have those dyes, now you can get another free dye. How is this not a good thing? You are still further ahead than those who didn’t already have those expensive dyes to.

Some many half empty glasses on the forums.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Does it include the special dyes? (Like Flame and Frost dyes, Tequatl Rising dyes and so on). In that case I think it’s a good present. If it only contains the normal ones I guess most people with character of 3 years old have most colors by now.

Personally, I only miss two of the normal set.

If it includes the special dyes I don’t think prices will drop to much.. remember many (if not all) of them are not available anymore. Even when you would get a second one on the 4th birthday and so on, it would still not go very fast unlocking all the colors.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Does it include the special dyes? (Like Flame and Frost dyes, Tequatl Rising dyes and so on). In that case I think it’s a good present. If it only contains the normal ones I guess most people with character of 3 years old have most colors by now.

Personally, I only miss two of the normal set.

Yes, all special kits except for shadow dyes.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Catslock.3074

Catslock.3074

I too am happy about the dye unlock and the birthday finisher. Its great birthday gift to celebrate compared to the previous years Nothing says happy birthday in a game about barbie dress up like giving more color options to even the poorest players. Thank you everyone at Arena Net for the best birthday presents so far. keep up the good work

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

Clearly what Anet should have done was make a Bootleg Dye Pack that allows players to choose from a selection of dyes that are identical to the ones we can already get, but that are packaged in plain brown bottles and have misspelled or poorly translated names. That way the gift has value to veteran players who want to level-up their Pretty Princess skill while others can feel superior in the knowledge that they have the ~real thing~, purchased with their own sweat and blood the way King Prestige demands.

Hahaha, that would have been funny!

RoF

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

On fire cause of a sale and feature announcements? Want to know what would make GW2 really “on fire?”

1. make dungeon, champ farming, world bosses, WvW roaming, and SPvP rewards the same as Silverwastes so people can actually choose what they want to do endgame.

I love the people that claim they want the freedom to choose to do what they want, but are such a slave to the gold per hour ratio that the only way for them to exercise their freedom to choose is to have Anet make all content give the same gold per hour.

If Anet was smart they would just nerf SW to be inline with everything else rather than boost everything else to be inline with SW.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Birthday year 4, free precursor confirmed? :P

So I guess I’m getting a lot of dyes in the next month or three. Awesome.

So far as the dye market, I figure the high end is going to be the obsessive collectors and very rich with little else to spend on. There are plenty of colors that are usable without being that specific color that sells for 1000g.

If anything, I’m surprised the UnID dye market dropped 20 silver recently, well before the account booster packs and birthday dyes started dropping.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

not a single iota of feeling rewarded for spending more time

It’s a 3rd year birthday gift! By definition those of us receiving that gift today couldn’t possibly have spent more time in the game and, we have spent more time with the game than anyone else. I mean time with the game, not hours logged on.

I can’t wait to log on tonight and pick up my Electro Blue & Pink dyes. Thank you ANet, this year it actually feels like you’re rewarding your most loyal supporters.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.