3rd Birthday Gift [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You had two of the dyes?

I had almost all of the dyes!

I’m going to have to throw away some of my birthday dyes. I don’t like it when anet gives out gemstore stuff that I paid for for free. I didn’t like it when they did it with x-mas Minipets and I still don’t like it today.

But at least we get a sweet new finisher.

People in your particular situation, I would be ok with Anet substituting the dye for something else. Since, if you have them all, it’s pointless to give you one (being account based and all). I would suggest simply making them tradeable, but I think that might cause too much of an uproar than just being allowed to swap the item for a different one would.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

Oh, yeah, also… I get 3 dyes this week!
Happy Birthday to me! (;

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…as someone who has purchased …two of the most expensive dyes, [t]his new birthday present has made me pretty kitten angry. Why should someone get something that has equal value to that of a Precursor for free?

I think this is one of the best presents ever offered in GW1 and GW2 and I cannot benefit from it (I already have all the current colors unlocked). The OP should recognize that the rewards of the many outweigh the preferences of the few.

What else would the OP suggest?

• That no one get rewarded with dyes?
  • That ANet take control of the markets away from players? (And therefore have fewer people working on developing new features, since state-ownership of markets is labor intensive.)
  • That people only get reward with low-value items? (And therefore please no one.)
  • That ANet offer random rewards? In GW1, this meant 5% of players were happy (getting a coveted mini), while 95% were unhappy (getting fodder).

Nothing of value was taken from the OP. In fact, if the OP wants to compare this to receiving the value of a precursor, this reward is only available by investing the equivalent of 800 gems (i.e. the retail price of a character slot) and waiting 3 years — it isn’t available to just any player.

tl;dr this is an awesome reward for the community

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Lol…It is a reward for being around for 3 years.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Question, these B-day gifts, are they just something for people who had the game since the beginning, or do you get it in the gem store? And as far as dyes go, I haven’t been able to check but are the shadow dyes included in this? Sorry just haven’t been able to play much in the past couple of days.

The birthday gift is for any char that reaches 3 years old, so yes, right now it’s those from the very beginning of the game as these are the first to hit 3 years old.

You get it in your mail when your char hits 3 years old.

Shadow dyes are not included (and probably will never be included with this birthday dye gift) as they are still available from black lion chests.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Agreed! And here, I was terrified we’d end up with another Jenna debacle.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Question, these B-day gifts, are they just something for people who had the game since the beginning, or do you get it in the gem store? And as far as dyes go, I haven’t been able to check but are the shadow dyes included in this? Sorry just haven’t been able to play much in the past couple of days.

The birthday gift is for any char that reaches 3 years old, so yes, right now it’s those from the very beginning of the game as these are the first to hit 3 years old.

You get it in your mail when your char hits 3 years old.

Shadow dyes are not included (and probably will never be included with this birthday dye gift) as they are still available from black lion chests.

Ahhh good good, just wondering cause I just got the shadow abyss due from the TP, and was going to be very angry if I came home home today to find I had a free dye selection available and could select it. :P

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

OP, that’s Anet. They’ve been doing this since day 1, they will keep doing it and i thought they could not surprise me anymore. I was wrong.

What can we do? This game’s ideology is that everybody should have everything – not a single iota of feeling rewarded for spending more time, being better (in pvp for example), thinking ahead. It’s all about RNG and “equality”.

And shovels, don’t forget shovels.

All is vain.

I’m sorry, what? Unless you got the present you have no right to say anything about time. You don’t just get this for existing, you get this for having a three year old character. So excuse me, but we’re very specifically being rewarded for spending more time. This isn’t about equality, nor RNG. This is a statement, “you’ve been around you deserve this cool thing.”

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Just a flesh wound.3589

Looks like they learned from that. You only get the Birthday finisher one time as a separate unlock instead of there being one with each present.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Bummer. Reading the thread it looks like it is a character birthday rather than the game birthday we are currently celebrating? Hopefully it stays as the 3rd birthday gift rather than a limited-time-only gift then.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have to admit though, if I was someone who had a 1000 plus gold dye listed to sell, I would be upset. I wonder how long it will be before we see the first angry thread on the forum from one of the sellers of the ultra expensive dyes.

I’m sure some will be angry, but they shouldn’t. There’s good money in speculating on low-supply items when the faucet is turned off, but that market collapses when ANet turns the faucet back on (as they have almost always done in the past).

Loxias.2375

If anything, the small increase in players wearing Electro or Enamelled Dyes will advertise the colors to newer players, keeping the market even or increasing it over time. For the modern gamer, buying gold with a credit card for in-game items is a foregone conclusion.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

You had two of the dyes?

I had almost all of the dyes!

I’m going to have to throw away some of my birthday dyes. I don’t like it when anet gives out gemstore stuff that I paid for for free. I didn’t like it when they did it with x-mas Minipets and I still don’t like it today.

But at least we get a sweet new finisher.

People in your particular situation, I would be ok with Anet substituting the dye for something else. Since, if you have them all, it’s pointless to give you one (being account based and all). I would suggest simply making them tradeable, but I think that might cause too much of an uproar than just being allowed to swap the item for a different one would.

It would be nice if they implemented a system like they did when they introduced wardrobe. Lock out any dyes you already own. If all the dyes are locked out you get an unidentified dye that can be traded/sold/opened. It’s not worth as much, but it’s at least something.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Looks like they learned from that. You only get the Birthday finisher one time as a separate unlock instead of there being one with each present.

Still waiting for my Mystic Forge recipe, so I can throw a pile of screaming Jennahs into Zommoros’ toilet.
/glub

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have three Celebratory Dye packs, soon to be five and I’m dying here…

You’re not “dying” — like me, you just don’t have any use for the gift at the moment. I’m saving mine in the hopes that:

• As new kits are added to the game, the loot table is updated to allow them to be chosen. and/or
  • ANet changes the rarity to exotic for colors exclusive to the kits, so that they can be forged for a chance of a new color.

(Obviously, the first option is a lot better than the second.)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

That had completely slipped my mind about the finisher (glad they learned), do those additional gifts get something else instead or are they just 1 item less than the first 3rd year gift?

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Isn’t it just horrible? Now people can just make a throwaway character and get super expensive dyes by only waiting three years, then they can repeat the process all over again until they get all 64 dyes in… 192 years!

Seasoning intensifies!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thank you, ArenaNet. Very thoughtful, and appreciated gift! =)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree: this was an awesome anniversary reward (even if I can’t benefit from the dye, having already unlocked all the existing colors except Shadow Abyss, which isn’t an included option).

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

guy this is just a kitten kitten dye, get over it, if some people buy them for 800 g in Auction, it is their problem.
My God, stop crying for every poop

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I have three Celebratory Dye packs, soon to be five and I’m dying here…

You’re not “dying” — like me, you just don’t have any use for the gift at the moment. I’m saving mine in the hopes that:

• As new kits are added to the game, the loot table is updated to allow them to be chosen. and/or
  • ANet changes the rarity to exotic for colors exclusive to the kits, so that they can be forged for a chance of a new color.

(Obviously, the first option is a lot better than the second.)

Believe me, when you have them all unlocked, you’re dying all the time.

Also, we don’t know that they will update the loot tables on these packs. We certainly hope they will, but things like this tend to languish…

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Isn’t it just horrible? Now people can just make a throwaway character and get super expensive dyes by only waiting three years, then they can repeat the process all over again until they get all 64 dyes in… 192 years!

Seasoning intensifies!

Except ANet will release new colors before the first 64 toons are old enough. Plus, some people haven’t unlocked things like Abyss, Celestial, or some other high-value colors, so it will take potentially 1,000s of years to use the birthday rewards to unlock all the dyes.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1. “Faithful” (a title)

Title was expected, like the word choice.

2. Birthday Finisher

Saw the datamine for this. Was super excited about it, glad it actually came as part of the gift and wasn’t scrapped.

3. 2 Birthday Boosters

Yay! Thank you anet. Love these things! Please continue to enable my alt-a-holism!

4. 1 Experience Scroll (Level 30 instead of 20)

I expected a lvl 20 scroll, not a lvl 30. Since our level cap isn’t increasing, I don’t really like where this might be leading. Call me paranoid I guess, but considering assorted levels for these scrolls has been previously datamined, I really don’t like seeing this. (Not that I won’t use it, but that’s not my point here.)

5. 5 Teleport to a Friend

Sort of “meh” on this one personally. Although, maybe I can use them to help move mapping along on an alt.

6. 1 Celebratory Dye Pack

Am I broken that I don’t really care for any of the Electro colors? (and don’t feel like wasting my freebies on them?) (Yes, I’m aware there are other choices to choose from)

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Dyes are artficially inflated based on availablity. There was never any guarantee those dyes would remain out of the game. Many things have been reintroduced one way or another. I have a lot more sympathy for those who bought these days than those who speculated on them.

All I can say OP is that there are tons of other dyes you can get for free. It’s a costly lesson, but I can see why Anet did this. The artificial scarcity of those dyes wasn’t really helping the game.

I have to disagree. The rarity is good for the game since it gives people goals to work towards and things to achieve. Not having things of value in the market I would counter is bad for the game since people then devalue the item and say, why bother it, why should I work to try and get it. Why not just go do something else. That’s the problem with any MMO, once you remove the goals people create for themselves the sooner they move on to other games.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

Lot of people saying the dye market is over inflated because some rare ones are expensive.

Thats like saying the car market is over inflated because theres rare cars being sold for a million.

Thats not how it works.

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Wow o.O some people in insanely greedy.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Good. No dye should be worth the same as a precursor.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

not a single iota of feeling rewarded for spending more time, being better (in pvp for example)

You mean other than the incoming leaderboards?

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Most dyes are not remotely worth what they’re going for on the Trading Post. The market is wildly inflated because there is no supply, so the only people buying them are those with more money than they know what to do with.

As someone who has already found nice dyes that I like for all my characters, I think this is a really smart way for ANet to give everyone a chance to have some snazzy shine to their characters, not just the super-rich. #OccupyTradingPost #Success

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Loxias.2375

I would think that, when opened, it would check against current applicable dye kits. Otherwise, different items that looked the same would have to be created.

Posted by: Seka.5647

Seka.5647

Also just to add to this, if you have already picked a wrong kit and try to ask for anet to exchange it, they wont do it at least according to 2 gm responses on my ticket :l.

I am the first Chronomancer and God of Lag.

Just a flesh wound.3589

That had completely slipped my mind about the finisher (glad they learned), do those additional gifts get something else instead or are they just 1 item less than the first 3rd year gift?

One item less. I’m fine with that. It’s much better than getting a bunch of finishers that I can’t use because I need only one and then deleting all the extras by typing the full name out with no mistakes in the deletion box field.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

LOL i have 720 days…just 10 more need for year 2 gift…when they gonna give this gifts?And what is year 1 gift?

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Something…something…jealous…something.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

kind of upset I dumped 70g on Charred dye when I did. kind of glad I spend 70g on it while it was cheap. really glad I get to pick another one.

really happy about the level 30 scroll. 2 black lion keys in this farm instead of one.

thank you for the b-day gifts, anet.

p.s., this is kind of how rewards in the game in general should feel like. looking forward to more token systems.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

Now I know I’m part of the minority here but as someone who has purchased Electro Blue and Electro Pink, two of the most expensive dyes, This new birthday present has made me pretty kitten angry. Why should someone get something that has equal value to that of a Precursor for free?
Granted they may not be truly worth the amount of gold they’re listed for… blah blah but they’re still a big ticket item, just as legendaries are, They’re something you can be proud of but this present has taken away all value.

My husband bought me the precursor I wanted as a Christmas gift, I guess that makes you angry too?

Seriously… the whole point of gifts is getting something for free, that’s what a gift is. Yes they could have made a special dye people can only get on the third birthday of their characters, but that would have been pretty lame. It’s nice we get to choose a color we want. If you are going to be upset anytime people get something you bought as a gift, you should probably just stop buying things.

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

I was super excited to see this dye gift! I love it! It really couldn’t have been a better gift for me.

Posted by: wayneericgouin.9371

wayneericgouin.9371

Why is the birthday reward tied to characters rather than account? Out of curiosity.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Love it, there will always be people that complain. Suck it up, you have all the dyes in the game no need to whine “I want something else”. Why do so many people whine, there are some children that act more mature than some of the posters on this forum.

Why can’t people just be like," awesome A-Net is giving out this great gift where you can choose your reward. It doesn’t matter that I already own all the dyes, I know this gift will benefit a lot of people. This is much better than last year just getting the same mini. " Then just move on.

Posted by: uller.6528

uller.6528

it was mini jana, and bday blaster in that order i believe saalle

Ol Crusty Gamer :P

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Yes well, I knew this kind of post would pop up as soon as a guildie told me they got the electro blue. You can’t please everyone. When the dyes first came out I sold one for around 30g. Now worth around 500g. Should I cry? No. I had use of the 30g which I obviously wanted at the time. It was my lack of patience that caused me to “lose” a probable investment gain. Live and learn. Or be reconciled to the choices you make. But don’t cry afterward. Thank you.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

meh just another day with something for players to complain about roflmao, Who ever came up with this idea to give dyes in b-day gift plus 2 b-day boosters. kudos to them

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why is the birthday reward tied to characters rather than account? Out of curiosity.

Because it’s the character’s birthday, not the account. They had the same set up in Guild Wars 1. It’s a much better system overall. With account, you only get one. With character you’ll eventually get one for each of your chars that reach the birthday.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

I find it interesting that in this “A gets for free what B had to buy beforehand” situation, complaints come solely from the side of those who bought the item.

If it’s wrong in principle to give someone an item others had to buy, shouldn’t this rattle the morals of at least some of those who get it for free?
Or is it that it only bothers those on the B side because of personal loss, indicating no objective morality whatsoever? Would B be complaining if he was gifted something expensive?

Also interesting is that giving away this dye takes nothing from those who bought it except exclusivity. People are complain because… they don’t feel unique? Is it a threat that I will now sport the same expensive colors as you? Do you feel so devalued and fragile in your self worth that you have to be mad at others being gifted things? Are people really this insecure?

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

Market responds to supply and demand. Nothing “should be worth” anything, it just is according to supply and demand.

Some may feel sorry for the changes this will cause, if any, but the next state of the economy will be just as good. Not for you personally but the economy doesn’t really care.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I can’t wait to log into Lion’s Arch to have my entire screen glared by the sea of Electro dyed people running around going lulz

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Heres the thing. The exclusive dye market is so volatile that its really silly to spend 1k on a dye that will, in all likelihood, be released back onto the gemstore within the year again making that dye way less expensive. Almost every exclusive dye pack has been re-released on a limited basis. And when it does, the prices plummet. Like from 1k to under 100g. I mean, if you really, really have to have that electro dye now and its worth spending 1k gold to get it right this second, go for it. But I wouldnt consider it a “precursor” level value as it is truly artificially inflated.

If you watch the market on dyes closely for a few weeks to a month you will see what I am talking about with the volatility. Dyes that are worth 60g now will be worth 400 next month and then it will crash again, and heck, you dont even need a gem store release for some of these.

^

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I can’t wait to log into Lion’s Arch to have my entire screen glared by the sea of Electro dyed people running around going lulz

Only the ones with a different electro dye in each dye slot can be truly fashionable.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I spent several gold on Usoku’s Needle during the early weeks of release farming for hours on end, and Spark was only 70g. I want my ~400 gold equivalent back, please.

The thing about value in games like these is that things like that change at the drop of a hat all the time. Fashion in games like these is always unstable and always will be, with GW2’s arguably being one of the most stable, if not over-inflated.

They’re allowing for precursor crafting, too. Do you think everyone who’s ever made a legendary is going to be upset? They’ve had the advantage of carrying that prestige for as long as they have before the system implementations. This is effectively no different.

There will always be another new shiny on the horizon better than yours, or the one you have will eventually become easier to get. That’s just the nature of reward-driven systems and human innovation/desire.

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

what r u talking about? the dyes you get from presents are account bound! I’ve noticed it when i tried to sell my electro blue… a warning would have been good, i wouldnt have chosen that fugly dye.