in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

THE DYES ARE ACCOUNT BOUND

3rd Birthday Gift [merged]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

what r u talking about? the dyes you get from presents are account bound! I’ve noticed it when i tried to sell my electro blue… a warning would have been good, i wouldnt have chosen that fugly dye.

It did tell you (in the tool tip, where else).

“Double-click to choose from a large selection of account-bound dyes.”

Or were you expecting a personal email from ANet? Always read the tool tip, especially of new items.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

Personally I like the dye thing…and if anything, this year’s bday pres is 110x better than last year’s cake gun. Just saying.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to getting home and collecting on my 2 3yo chars…I’ll about 2 more in 4 months or so lol.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

These QQ topics are starting to get annoying… If you spent even 300-400+gold for a dye, you are stupid, if you didnt, then get a dye you like and be happy, no need to start 500topics about it.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I can’t decide which one I should get.

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

I created my first character the day Gw2 became available after having a collectors edition pre ordered

I was in the 3 day early access when this character was created.. he has not been deleted ever
and yet my account only shows 1,094 total days on reccord

the 3 early access days have been taken off my total playtime for some reason..
has this happened to anyone else? kind of ****ed about it since I gotta wait 3 more days for stuff I should already have

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

I created my first character the day Gw2 became available after having a collectors edition pre ordered

I was in the 3 day early access when this character was created.. he has not been deleted ever

has this happened to anyone else? kind of ****ed about it since I gotta wait 3 more days for stuff I should already have

no all is fine. you cant have lost 3 days. cause the oldest accounts are 1095 days now

i also have 1094 days cause the game counts the excact hours on the day you created your char . in a few hours it will be 1095 days

dont worry

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Well, if you were like me, I also started during the early access, but wasn’t able to log in for the first two days because of some glitch, so I’m two days behind. You sure you didn’t have any computer issues during the 3 days?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Zypher, is cause should be something useful for everybody.

as “scarlet kiss” for the second year ( it was fun and both useful and useless for everybody, if you understand what i’m trying to write ).

Just this.

would be nice if some1 from ANET says something about, or at least make a new thread talking about the whole 3rd year gift ( so both they and players don’t have to search XXX threads ).

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

It doesn’t matter that I already own all the dyes, I know this gift will benefit 99.9% of people. This is much better than last year just getting the same mini. " Then just move on.

FTFY

I’m with you. First world Tyria problems at its finest.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: tonny.7580

tonny.7580

i am ok with dyes i only see kittening from people who sell it for 1090g soo it good to get acc bound

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

If you spent even 300-400+gold for a dye, you are stupid

Think you’re just jealous.

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Thanks Arenanet, this was truly a nice present to get, I’m still chuckling to myself about getting Electro Blue dye for free, and to all those people that say that us Vets don’t get the rewards we deserve, well this shows that we do.

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

Yeah, I think people that already have all dyes unlocked should not get the Celebratory Dye Pack, but a Mini Queen Jennah instead.

That way everyone would be happy.

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

Super Awesome 3rd! Thank you ArenaNet!

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Some people you can’t buy gifts for.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

notebene.3190

I can’t decide which dye pack to pick. I bought one of those super black dyes for 200g maybe 3 weeks ago when I started playing again (well, more often then logging in and just doing enough to cover the daily), so I don’t need that black dye (unless there are other nice options in that to get).

Any of them have more interesting dyes than others?

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

…did you pick your account name just to say that? :P

I’m probably going to just stick all my free dye unlocks in the bank for the time being – not really sure which dyes I want to unlock but this gives a good path to them that doesn’t cost more than my characters’ combined net worth.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Shirlias.8104

Just wait then ( some of the Taimi dyes re really cool, like electro blue and yellow ).

edit: i forget. depends also by your kind of equipment ( both heavy/medium/light and metal/clothies/leather etc etc ). also illumination.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I would think that, when opened, it would check against current applicable dye kits. Otherwise, different items that looked the same would have to be created.

It doesn’t include the Shadow Dye Kit colors, so it doesn’t have any sort of auto-check feature in it now.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Good. No dye should be worth the same as a precursor.

Why not?

Currently, Frenzy and Kraitkin are available for under 90g. Six ordinary rares cost more than that (Abyss, Black, Celestial, Midnight Fire, Midnight Ice, & White). So even outside the Taimi/Electro dye exclusives, there have been dyes that cost more than precursors for ages.

The cost of things is determined by the market, which only cares about supply & demand. So if a few people want electro blue badly enough and there are only 10 available on the TP, then the price will be 1,000g or more.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Most dyes are not remotely worth what they’re going for on the Trading Post. The market is wildly inflated because there is no supply, so the only people buying them are those with more money than they know what to do with.

All dyes are worth exactly what they are going for on the Trading Post. That is, in fact, why they go for those prices.

What you could accurately say is: those dyes aren’t worth the TP prices to you (and perhaps, to the majority of players).

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

on my b’day. Dat iz all.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have three Celebratory Dye packs, soon to be five and I’m dying here…

You’re not “dying” — like me, you just don’t have any use for the gift at the moment. I’m saving mine in the hopes that:

• As new kits are added to the game, the loot table is updated to allow them to be chosen. and/or
  • ANet changes the rarity to exotic for colors exclusive to the kits, so that they can be forged for a chance of a new color.

(Obviously, the first option is a lot better than the second.)

Believe me, when you have them all unlocked, you’re dying all the time.

Also, we don’t know that they will update the loot tables on these packs. We certainly hope they will, but things like this tend to languish…

I don’t believe you — I have them all unlocked and I’m not dying.

And sure, I have no idea if they planned to update the loot tables or not. That’s why I’m saving them in the hope that they will. I have no expectation that they have to (nor that I am entitled to a color released after today).

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Lot of people saying the dye market is over inflated because some rare ones are expensive.

Nah, it’s overinflated because there’s an extremely limited supply concentrated in the hands of very few people. Except, as this event has shown, the supply is (and has always been) controlled not by sellers, but by Anet.

TL/DR: the prices were overinflated, because (against everything we’ve learned so far) they were based on a false assumption – that the supply of those dyes will not increase. That assumption has just been proved wrong.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

notebene.3190

The electro lemon looks interesting, if I got lucky and got one of those. I wear yellow on a few characters that roughly that same color, and it would really make it pop (based on the previews I did).

Guess I’ll just wait.

Shirlias.8104

I have three Celebratory Dye packs, soon to be five and I’m dying here…

You’re not “dying” — like me, you just don’t have any use for the gift at the moment. I’m saving mine in the hopes that:

• As new kits are added to the game, the loot table is updated to allow them to be chosen. and/or
  • ANet changes the rarity to exotic for colors exclusive to the kits, so that they can be forged for a chance of a new color.

(Obviously, the first option is a lot better than the second.)

Believe me, when you have them all unlocked, you’re dying all the time.

Also, we don’t know that they will update the loot tables on these packs. We certainly hope they will, but things like this tend to languish…

I don’t believe you — I have them all unlocked and I’m not dying.

And sure, I have no idea if they planned to update the loot tables or not. That’s why I’m saving them in the hope that they will. I have no expectation that they have to (nor that I am entitled to a color released after today).

That’s what we have to do atm ( but knowing what they will do, as the old yellow transmutation charges converted in blue ones… lol i saved up 500 of them from all chara, and hopefully i didn’t trashed them to “make space in my bank” ).

Hopefully is only a slot ( i hope they do stack ), and it’s not a problem save em for later.
Would just be nice to read something about from ANET ( and to be clear, i’m totally ok with “account bound only” cause i don’t like speculation, which cause some skins or dyes be out of range from normal players ).

ps: and i also knew it wasn’t a good idea open a thread about… aww…

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

you get to pick exactly the color you want from the dye set so there is no “getting lucky” once you know exactly what you want. Making up your mind is the hard part. I’ve already spent all morning figuring out which ones I want and how long I have to wait for my next group of 3year prezies <3

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

1 dye out of how many? How many 3 years could one have to do to get them all if it is random past the selection of which kit? Or even if it’s not.

Some new players are likely willing to open up their real life pocket book to buy the dyes or spend hours farming the gold to get it. Or a combination of the two.

I highly doubt it’s the end of the luxury dye market.

If the dyes aren’t available at all except through the 3rd year birthday gift, eventually the markets for these dyes will dry up anyway once the supply runs out. So in the end, it’s probably a moot point which will kill the market first, price drops due to the birthday gifts or just supply being completely bought out.

I’d really hate to derail this thread by turning into an economic lesson, so I’ll simplify my response without a wall of text.

Luxury goods are high priced but slow moving markets. Supply is low, and Demand is high because some of these dyes are the best in the game. Only people with a lot of Gold can afford to purchase these goods. With Anet giving out free access to such luxury goods, you kill the exclusivity, which kills Demand. People like me who were about to buy certain dyes for personal use, now remove that potential transaction from the market. Why pay 1k Gold when I can get the same thing for free many times over due to many 3 y/o toon slots. So what if there’s only 1 dye left in the world. If the millions of players who potentially wanted it now have it unlocked for free, that lone dye loses all appeal, and just sits there. So again, the market is still alive for dyes, just not for the luxury prices they once were.

Back on topic, each and every one of my alts will be getting this lovely gift. Anet just proved to me why spending so much money on Gems was worth it. This company knows how to redeem itself in a glorious way.

Fully aware how supply and demand works.

Fewer people may be willing to buy the dyes at their current price. But there will still be people. People who may not want a huge number of characters that serve no real purpose other than to collect birthday presents. People who are too impatient to wait the 3 years. People who have a tendency to reroll their characters instead of buying new character slots and may not have many characters who reach 3 years and may not be willing to let one sit that long. New players who buy the game in the future who don’t know what’s in the 3rd year birthday gift but see the dye on the TP.

There will still be people who would be willing to buy the dye even with the current change. Just not as many as that’s what lower demand is. But demand will never go to 0. And I mean the demand for the dyes on the TP.

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

still can get on gem store so . . . nope not a present, sorry

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I took electro blue, next will maybe be electro lemon and enameled sky ..
but have 12, 27, 32 days time to decide o.O

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Still in shop so … no shadow or Lion’s Arch rebuild dye for you.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Now I know I’m part of the minority here but as someone who has purchased Electro Blue and Electro Pink, two of the most expensive dyes, This new birthday present has made me pretty kitten angry. Why should someone get something that has equal value to that of a Precursor for free?
Granted they may not be truly worth the amount of gold they’re listed for… blah blah but they’re still a big ticket item, just as legendaries are, They’re something you can be proud of but this present has taken away all value.

My husband bought me the precursor I wanted as a Christmas gift

xD True Love! I game with mine as well! Nothing more romantic to me than a big bundle of game items. Who needs flowers. They just die anyway, right? xD

on topic – rolling all over my fresh new electro dyes I got for free ohhhhh myyyy~

:)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I can’t decide either. Life is hard.

My current plan is to wait a few days, maybe till I get all my presents early next month and preview all the colors and see which ones I would actually use on my char.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You’ll get to choose additional colors for each of your 3-year old characters, so factor that into account. Here are my thoughts about the color sets:

• Flame: Some really useful colors here, most of which don’t have great alternatives from the ordinary color sets.
  • Frost: I use all of these still. They look great on light and heavy armor.
  • Toxic: some excellent choices here, including Cobolt, Blacklight, and Cyanide.
  • Deathly: people like these for necro and/or certain medium armor themes. I never use any.
  • Metallurgic: not my favorites, although I do use Prosperity sometimes.
  • LA Commemorative: good colors, although not quite as good as battle imo. My favorites: solitude and Anamnesis.
  • Battle for LA: these are all good. My favorites are enameled sky & legacy.
  • Glint: some really nice colors here, if you are looking for off-whites. Crystal & Isolation are my favorites.
  • Crimson Lion: these are all ‘good’ colors, but nothing amazing, unless you really, really love Chinese Lunar New Year (these colors do have the best match to the unofficial LNY colors that I see in Chinatowns across the US and in Hong Kong).
  • Taimi: The unofficial pastels of the 1984 Summer Olympics are back! The pink is a great troll-y color and I find the blue is fantastic for asura cultural heavy armor.
  • LA Rebuild: Enameled Onset, Morning Glory are gorgeous. Enameled Brass is properly shiny.
  • Shadow: I like the midnight dyes better, for all but a few specific situations. These are great, however, for those who just love the blackest of blacks.

edit: forgot that Shadow dyes aren’t available from the Celebration kit (at least, not yet)

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

still can get on gem store so . . . nope not a present, sorry

I think it’s more likely to be an accident rather than intentional. However, it’s just a guess, unless ANet offers a specific response.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

You’ll get to choose additional colors for each of your 3-year old characters, so factor that into account. Here are my thoughts about the color sets:

• Flame: Some really useful colors here, most of which don’t have great alternatives from the ordinary color sets.
  • Frost: I use all of these still. They look great on light and heavy armor.
  • Toxic: some excellent choices here, including Cobolt, Blacklight, and Cyanide.
  • Deathly: people like these for necro and/or certain medium armor themes. I never use any.
  • Metallurgic: not my favorites, although I do use Prosperity sometimes.
  • LA Commemorative: good colors, although not quite as good as battle imo. My favorites: solitude and Anamnesis.
  • Battle for LA: these are all good. My favorites are enameled sky & legacy.
  • Glint: some really nice colors here, if you are looking for off-whites. Crystal & Isolation are my favorites.
  • Crimson Lion: these are all ‘good’ colors, but nothing amazing, unless you really, really love Chinese Lunar New Year (these colors do have the best match to the unofficial LNY colors that I see in Chinatowns across the US and in Hong Kong).
  • Taimi: The unofficial pastels of the 1984 Summer Olympics are back! The pink is a great troll-y color and I find the blue is fantastic for asura cultural heavy armor.
  • LA Rebuild: Enameled Onset, Morning Glory are gorgeous. Enameled Brass is properly shiny.
  • Shadow: I like the midnight dyes better, for all but a few specific situations. These are great, however, for those who just love the blackest of blacks.

I thought the Shadow dye set wasn’t included since it’s still in the gem store?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I was never going to buy any of those dyes anyway …

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

4th year birthday gift will be a legendary of your choice.

Nah, it will be a black lion weapon skin of choice.

make it happen Anet!!

YUS!
Full support.

I agree that will be better than a Legendary
Of course it needs to include skins that are now not available.

Like halloween ones?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/67287-electro-blue-dye

Highest price dye:

Sell order from before the “outrage”: 999g
Buy order from before the “outrage”: 715g
Number of sell orders: 4
Number of buy orders: 418

Seller order from after the “outrage”: 1051g
buy order from after the “outrage”: 420g
Number of sell orders: 4
Number of buy orders: 416

Well for all the whining it seems the sell orders have actually INCREASED in price, and ONE person withdrew a single overpriced buy order…

Yep the market is in shambles now…

A little soon to be calling “no foul” on the dye market.

Some of us haven’t even gotten home yet. =P

Granted, any price of more than a gold or two is out of my market for dyes anyway, so the prices are of no concern to me.
/shrug

Supply and Demand won’t take effect for some time as this is a video game after all. The seller orders have probably been up for weeks if not months and will continue to do so for months down the line.

The order people may not be aware as of yet but most likely haven’t received there 3rd year dye as well or they’d just get the dye they desire. Flippers would also pull out as well. However none of this will occur till we get a fresh influx of dyes. These new dye kits have indeed killed demand but since there account bound they have yet to effect the market. Adding Tiami’s dye kit back into the TP would have a greater effect than the birthday dye at this point however thanks to the birthday dye whenever Tiami’s does return the drop in price should be direct and quick thus reshifting the dye market.

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

Wait, the people who have cornered said market and ripped off the rest of the playerbase are out of business now? Where did I leave my last bottle of Elonian Wine? I need to celebrate!

Tarnished Coast

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I thought the Shadow dye set wasn’t included since it’s still in the gem store?

You thought right — I goofed (fixed my post accordingly — thanks for the reminder).

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

You do have to agree though that getting a unique dye is a lot better than getting another handful of useless Miniature Queen Jennah’s.

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Drama thread. Dyes are worth what they sell for.

Get over it.

Posted by: Ancientwolfgr.1648

Ancientwolfgr.1648

Nice little bait and switch. Everyone knows theres 2 or 3 of the shadow dyes that everyone wants, and 3 years of participation STILL isnt good enough for Anet for a few colors of dyes.

Its not the gameplay that will make me stop supporting them, its the stingy kitten bleeding of cash for what should be, THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING US items.

Yeah, pick from any dyes, including rares, except for the few everyone wants to have.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Most dyes are not remotely worth what they’re going for on the Trading Post. The market is wildly inflated because there is no supply, so the only people buying them are those with more money than they know what to do with.

All dyes are worth exactly what they are going for on the Trading Post. That is, in fact, why they go for those prices.

What you could accurately say is: those dyes aren’t worth the TP prices to you (and perhaps, to the majority of players).

Fine, they aren’t worth TP prices to me or to 99% of players. They’re still wildly overinflated and could use with some puncturing. This is a much more player-centric to do that than to simply flood the market with new dyes. This actually rewards players for loyalty and allows them the luxury of looking shiny, rather than charging us real-world money for them, which was the other way they could’ve taken it. I would much rather see account-bound dyes show up in our Birthday presents than ANet adding tradeable dyes back to the Trading post as part of the anniversary “sellebration.”

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I should have saved shadow abyss for the TP especially given that shadow blue looks exactly the same on everything.

Posted by: Tega.6813

Tega.6813

There are quite few of us who are upset over the new 3rd year birthday dye kit, but this is ultimately the new development ideology of Arenanet, catering to very casual audiences, who get a reward for every action they take in the game. I get it, they wanted to award players with something cool, but it could of been on the level of the birthday blaster.

What’s Already Done:
Ascended gear re-stat, you’re new pink gear doesn’t fit your build? Here, anytime any ascended armor drops, you can have perfect stats for it for minimal cost. This is ultimately okay, but again undermines the entire cost put towards farming/gathering etc ascended mats.

What’s going to be given for free coming soon:
Precurssors. Fine. I’ve been playing gw2 since launch and had to buy a pre for my legendary, not to mention farming thousands of gold in materials. I still haven’t got ANY PRE or any item worth over 80g in-game, many of you are in the same situation i imagine.

Coming Up Soon:
Spinal Blades/Mawdrey, argue ably the most prestigious back-pieces in the game (will be undermined by the new legendary).
http://dulfy.net/2015/08/25/gw2-upcoming-items-from-august-25-patch/

I’m sure there’s more, feel free to add to the list.

What i’m getting at is, Anet is giving anything and everything that has any appeal to casual players with little or no effort, again undermining many many hours spent by dedicated and more-than-casual players, virtually for free (in-game), but, physically at a cost (cash).

With the lack of any serious new dungeons, and challenges left in GW2, it remains almost a shell of the ideology of the greatness of GW1, many of us are very disappointed in what GuildWars has degraded to. I’m a GWAMM from GW1 and I’ve been playing GW2 since beta.

Happy Birthday

Posted by: Murke.7193

Murke.7193

This is really great <3 So I have to give a big thank you so much to all of those at Anet! I already owned all the dyes, but even so this is still by far the best birthday gift they have done!

Posted by: Ancientwolfgr.1648

Ancientwolfgr.1648

Invested in dyes did we?