3rd Birthday Gift [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ancientwolfgr.1648

Ancientwolfgr.1648

I’ll add 3 years of playing is no different than your 3 years of playing.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

LoL

I could only imagine the post you’d make if they actually reintroduced the Tiami kit to the TP as that would’ve had a much more direct knock on the current price.

What if in real life the stock market never changed never moved and items always stayed high and pricey like you wanted.

People fully expected the dyes to return for the anniversary and they acted accordingly and it was your responsibility as a in investor to be aware that the dye market is a pure bubble ready to pop the second the supply chain started to reintroduce more into the market. The error is yours for being a poor investor and nothing else if anything your asking for corporate welfare well welfare for the rich in order to cover your bad investments as that’s the only welfare I see arising from any of this.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

OP get over it

Attachments:

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

“Ascended gear re-stat, you’re new pink gear doesn’t fit your build? Here, anytime any ascended armor drops, you can have perfect stats for it for minimal cost. This is ultimately okay, but again undermines the entire cost put towards farming/gathering etc ascended mats.”

I strongly disagree. Ascended gear takes so long to make especially since you gotta get your crafting up to 500, so unfortunately using ectos just for crafting isn’t optional.

Precursors will never be “free” and mystic forge grinding means you will eventually get one if you keep trying.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

GW2 you are on fire!

More like burning, with stacks. Which is ok, maybe it’ll wake the dev’s up and they’ll nerf it finally.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Stop having fun, guys

When someone is being impressed with something, immediately harping on all the bad facets of it / its issues does nothing but make you look silly.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

(Looks up from my new, free!!!! expensive dyes. Experiences deep and meaningful sympathy with your position. Goes back to fondling my new dyes)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

No events all summers except for this Sellebration…

I’m going to have to agree with water combat, event rewards, and bring back Anti-toxin spray while we are at it as well.

The multiple day sale was alright the last couple of years but this year has been a bad one.. Nothing but talk about the China release and them being to busy to them Talking about the HoT release and them being too busy… been a bad year really and HoT better be well worth all of this waiting for something to do.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

(Looks up from my new, free!!!! expensive dyes. Experiences deep and meaningful sympathy with your position. Goes back to fondling my new dyes)

LOOL Died a little xD

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

There are quite few of us who are upset over the new 3rd year birthday dye kit, but this is ultimately the new development ideology of Arenanet, catering to very casual audiences, who get a reward for every action they take in the game. I get it, they wanted to award players with something cool, but it could of been on the level of the birthday blaster.

What’s Already Done:
Ascended gear re-stat, you’re new pink gear doesn’t fit your build? Here, anytime any ascended armor drops, you can have perfect stats for it for minimal cost. This is ultimately okay, but again undermines the entire cost put towards farming/gathering etc ascended mats.

What’s going to be given for free coming soon:
Precurssors. Fine. I’ve been playing gw2 since launch and had to buy a pre for my legendary, not to mention farming thousands of gold in materials. I still haven’t got ANY PRE or any item worth over 80g in-game, many of you are in the same situation i imagine.

Coming Up Soon:
Spinal Blades/Mawdrey, argue ably the most prestigious back-pieces in the game (will be undermined by the new legendary).
http://dulfy.net/2015/08/25/gw2-upcoming-items-from-august-25-patch/

I’m sure there’s more, feel free to add to the list.

What i’m getting at is, Anet is giving anything and everything that has any appeal to casual players with little or no effort, again undermining many many hours spent by dedicated and more-than-casual players, virtually for free (in-game), but, physically at a cost (cash).

With the lack of any serious new dungeons, and challenges left in GW2, it remains almost a shell of the ideology of the greatness of GW1, many of us are very disappointed in what GuildWars has degraded to. I’m a GWAMM from GW1 and I’ve been playing GW2 since beta.

Happy Birthday

Ascended restat: Given how expensive ascended gears are to craft, this is ANet’s decision to make it easier for them to shake up the meta without causing a huge outcry on the forums for making their gear useless and that they’ve added in a gear grind in a sense.

Dyes in the birthday present: Yes, it could have been like the blaster, but I seem to recall people last year crying foul that it wasn’t a good enough present. And maybe ANet doesn’t want dyes to be 1K gold level rare.

Precursors: Please, find me the post that says we’ll just be given precursors for free. I seem to recall them being tied to activities similar to the way the luminescent armor was. I seem to recall time needing spent in that case. And we don’t know what is required or how long it would take the best players or even the average players to complete it. Complaining about something we don’t know everything about is premature.

Mawdrey: And I seem to recall most people not going for a legendary because they don’t feel it’s worth it. And if the legendary doesn’t eat whatever it is that Mawdrey eats, Mawdrey may still prove to be the more popular back choice.

So I’m not seeing that it’s catering to the casuals too much.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

@Tega

First, Ascended stat change has been something asked for for a very long time. It doesn’t negate the time and effort spent on crafting the stats you wanted. What it does however, is provide those few lucky enough to get an Ascended drop to be able to get the stats they want. Before those who got drops were kittened over because of an ultra rare drop that was ultimately useless.

Second. Precursors won’t be “free”. They will require a large time investment. My guess is nearly the same amount of time to farm the gold needed, if not more. But this is a way for those who don’t want to farm gold, and grind endlessly for months in order to get a precursor. Again, it’s something that has been asked for for a very long time.

These changes don’t “cater to casuals”. They allow players to be able to focus on the things they find fun and enjoy, and not feel pressured to do certain things within the game in order to achieve anything.

As far as the dyes. Why not reward players with an ultra rare super expensive account bound dye of their choice for playing for 3 years? I don’t think it’ll effect the market all that much. Those 1-2 year veterens still won’t be able to get it for another year or two. And if they want it without having to wait a year, they can and will still buy it.

You also have to consider that with all the 3rd year players showing off their cool new dyes, it might inspire 1-2 year players to buy them. In effect increasing the demand, rather then suppressing it.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: telliani.5902

telliani.5902

Wait… so the TWO dyes I’m going to get in 2 days is some how going to crash the market on dyes, when I’m still missing 90% of all the gem-purchased ones?

It’s going to be another 6 months before my next character gets another dye. And then 12 months before the rest get theirs… but I’ll still be missing about 20 dyes.

Geigi (Queen of the Dredge) – Mesmer
[HOPE] – Hope Remains, Crystal Desert

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

@OP: There are at least 20 other MMOs available that cater to elitists. Barring them doing a total 180 on Sat (when they reveal their “challenging group content”), this is the only one that doesn’t treat non-hardcore players as second-class customers. Why not play one of them?

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

WOW I’ve never read a post with so much entitlement, it deserve some kind of reward or something.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Hope they bring taimi dye kit back during these sales.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

‘omg welfare epix!!!11111’

Bwhahaha I truly cannot see the problem here. Or hey, perhaps I’m bedazzled by these fabulous free colours and too busy prancing around like a fabulous rainbow unicorn to see the deep seriousness of this horrible, horrible nice gift situation.

Happy birthday!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Man I hope the Taimi dye kit goes on the anniversary sale tomorrow for half price… that would be hilarious lol.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Happy birthday! Now this is a birthday gift! I love customizing characters and I’ve gawked over some of those expensive dyes for ages, now it’s freeeeeee!

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Happy third birthday! The dyes were a nice idea- I won’t grumble about throwing away another mini every time an alt hits their third bday!

PSA: Before you port those alts! Teleport to Friend item is bugged and will consume the item without porting you if the map is full (realized it when I joined a teq taxi and wasted one). Bug reports have been submitted in the past, but no fix yet.

Posted by: Jayden Reese.9542

Jayden Reese.9542

You all that are upset think of this. There will be someone who gets home today and has his 5 700g dyes buy orders filled and then opens his 3rd birthday gifts and sees he could’ve had those colors for free.

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

@Tega, I have almost 3k hours in this game. I’m not a causal player, though not a pro either. I have no problem with this gift at all. It’s appropriate for a player who has played for 3 years. BTW, I have Mawdrey, I have the Tempered Spinal Blades, I even have a Legendary waiting to be made in my inventory.

These are the types of gifts that should be given out on birthdays.

Posted by: uller.6528

uller.6528

So are the Bday items time gated based on age i think my account is like 1067 for 2-3 toons or is it just based on the 365, 730, 1095 age of the char?

Ol Crusty Gamer :P

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

So are the Bday items time gated based on age i think my account is like 1067 for 2-3 toons or is it just based on the 365, 730, 1095 age of the char?

it is based on the age of your character (as each character gets a gift when they hit year1, 2, etc), not your account.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

with the dye pack being in this present and the awesome finisher, I am so happy that the Birthday present has been improved this year.

Good Job Anet!

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

hehe, for someone that always wanted a cool looking finisher, but never decided to spend the money/gems to buy one, this one came as a real surprise today when i checked my mail.

i dont belive there is other finisher that actually transforms the light ball into something entirely different

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

This is great. Only wish I could gift my dyes to my wife.

Posted by: Zerbious.1825

Zerbious.1825

Is the missing Shadow Dye Kit from the celebratory dye on purpose or left off by accident? Should I hold off using it in case they fix it later?

Also, is there any option to get Celestial dye out of the bday dye? I don’t think it was in any of the previous kits…

Shadows weren’t included bc they are currently still available.

Celestial isn’t because it was never a gemstore dye sorry Tanith

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

ArenaNET development team: Thank you for the 3rd birthday gifts. I found them both varietied and well though out.

That said, I would really like to have some black or white dyes available from the kits for my alt accounts Definitely not complaining about it though… Electro Pink and Electro Blue, together at last!

Posted by: Purecura.1795

Purecura.1795

Ive played for 3 years now but never kept any of my chrs… This is what I get for not staying loyal to one chr. Ive learned my lesson one day Ill get a Bday gift!!!!

Lv.80 Chronomancer (Mesmerist Palamecia)
Lv.80 Scrapper (Alchemist Persenia)
Lv.80 Druid (Mender Zalintyre)

Posted by: Zerbious.1825

Zerbious.1825

Is the missing Shadow Dye Kit from the celebratory dye on purpose or left off by accident? Should I hold off using it in case they fix it later?

Also, is there any option to get Celestial dye out of the bday dye? I don’t think it was in any of the previous kits…

Shadows weren’t included bc they are currently still available.

Celestial isn’t because it was never a gemstore dye sorry Tanith

The part about shadow not being included because it’s still available doesn’t make sense. There are other dyes (sorry, on my phone so can’t give you the specific dyes, but just saw them last night) that are still available in the gem shop that are in the list of choices.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve had a fun day! First I sorted my locked dyes to the bottom of the panel and made a Word document listing the ones I was missing, sorted by kit as detailed by Dulfy (warning, she typos Cobolt/Cobalt, it’s the other one from the one she has up unless she’s fixed it). Then I put on armor with lots of color fields and previewed them all and sorted them into the order in each kit that I like the most. Then I selected the top eight — I think it’ll be a while before I get more than eight third birthdays — and numbered them.

I don’t care what the TP price is, I’m getting the dyes I really want first. So Enameled Perseverance, that was today! And four more tomorrow. Then likely a few months to the next.

And after all that I got to custom dye the Wedding Attire on all my alts. Except my female charr. I put it on her and said NOPE she will never wear that. Not that it’s a bad design necessarily, it is just not her style at all. Shadow Assassin remains just right.

I feel this has been a lovely third birthday.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Thank you ANet. I love my 3rd year gifts. The finisher is just completely Boss.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Since the merge, I haven’t read everything here. I just wanted to say 2 things:

1) Thank you for some cool stuff, Anet, and Happy Birthday to GW2!

2) Could you guys PUH-LEEZE stop doing the thing where every b-day gift includes something the same (or very similar) as the previous gifts, but DOES. NOT. STACK!

K. Thanks again!

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Since the merge, I haven’t read everything here. I just wanted to say 2 things:

1) Thank you for some cool stuff, Anet, and Happy Birthday to GW2!

2) Could you guys PUH-LEEZE stop doing the thing where every b-day gift includes something the same (or very similar) as the previous gifts, but DOES. NOT. STACK!

K. Thanks again!

You could just start using the older stacks. :P This year they had a perfectly good reason tho as they boost you to lvl 30 and not 20. So they are totally different items. They had no excuse last time tho….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

Happy you all got the gift because i didn’t and I’VE been here since launch.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

You have to have a character that’s reached 3 years. It’s the birthday for the character not the account.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

So many people getting all passive-aggressive and angry just because they haven’t received something in-game.

Understand this; your character gets a birthday gift on the character’s birthday. Not your account’s birthday. Doesn’t matter how old your account is. If you delete and remake your toons over and over you’re going to be waiting longer and longer for bday presents.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

still not getting why electro blue sells for 1k gold. anyone can enlighten me ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Just a flesh wound.3589

Probably because it cost them 150 gold to list it originally and if they pull it and relist then they lose an additional 15% of that price. In this case, it might be better for them to wait this out. There are always people who don’t have a char that’s 3 years old but do have the gold to pay for that dye.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Probably because it cost them 150 gold to list it originally and if they pull it and relist then they lose an additional 15% of that price. In this case, it might be better for them to wait this out. There are always people who don’t have a char that’s 3 years old but do have the gold to pay for that dye.

i’m just wondering what’s so special about the color ? doesn’t look impressive or special at all to me….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

i’m just wondering what’s so special about the color ? doesn’t look impressive or special at all to me….

There are a decent though not mindblowing enough amount of people who like it, but the bigger cause for the high cost is just the fact that the supply is very, very limited. There wasn’t a huge interest in most of the colors in the dye set compared to most other “special” sets, so there aren’t a lot of Electro dyes in circulation in general. It also has never appeared in the Black Lion Chests as a random drop (to my knowledge anyway) which again makes it rarer than stuff like the Toxic colors which did show up in the BLC at some point.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It has a certain niche use to it, especially imo with Sylvari, as it has a glow to it that fits them. Used with the female Sylvari wedding dress for example is exceptionally nice. It also makes any armor you dye it with resemble the Luminescent armor color, for those that like that sort of thing. It also is very good as an accent color to bring out some small feature on the armor.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

At this rate, something is better than nothing. I’m not complaining. And I’m wearing that new, shiny title.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

That´s like finding an uniform or an iron cross first class from WWII. Both items are, in terms or usability, absoultely worthless and even dangerous to use in some areas. But both items also don´t get produced anymore and were once prestigious. That kindles the skritt in many people, causing them to pay much exorbitant prices for something that, built today, would only cost a few hundred dollars/euros at best.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

for two reasons
1. it’s over-the-top bright (and as we know glows and sparkles sell the best)
2. There’s a very limited supply

…well, 3 reasons
3. People are either naive (and will buy at any price), short-sighted (not realizing that point 2 is subject to change at Anet’s whim) or impatient (unwilling to wait).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I don’t like the Electro Blue – it’s just too intense (same with the other Electro dyes).

I’m still deciding but am more tempted to get one of the Glint’s dyes.

Is it worth ignoring prices in this case and getting the colour you want (assuming it costs at least more than a few gold), or is it better to use the opportunity to buy what is currently expensive?

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

I don’t like the Electro Blue – it’s just too intense (same with the other Electro dyes).

Is it worth ignoring prices in this case and getting the colour you want (assuming it costs at least more than a few gold), or is it better to use the opportunity to buy what is currently expensive?

How is this even a question? Do you seriously need advice on whether to get something you want or something you don’t want that’s expensive? Get what you want.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

How is this even a question? Do you seriously need advice on whether to get something you want or something you don’t want that’s expensive? Get what you want.

Or – as may be the case with some – if you’re missing a handful that you can’t cover with all your bday presents, find out what ones are the cheapest on the TP and get the others you need from the presents.

With all my characters (except the revenant nameholders) getting one exclusive dye each, I would still be missing 8 colours<

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Or – as may be the case with some – if you’re missing a handful that you can’t cover with all your bday presents, find out what ones are the cheapest on the TP and get the others you need from the presents.

With all my characters (except the revenant nameholders) getting one exclusive dye each, I would still be missing 8 colours<

Yes, this.

I can afford the dyes I’d like, but haven’t bought them yet because of saving for a legendary so it still means shelling out tens of gold.

The question is how volatile are the prices and is it worth ignoring price entirely when making the choice if what is now 1k gold will one day be 10gold and vice versa.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I have to admit the first year birthday present was nice until I had 3,4,5… 19 Queen Jen minis! Then worst was when they combined the mini so every character shared it making the first year present lame after your first character received it. I was hoping they would have let you toss all the extra minis into the mystic forge for a different one.

Second year was pretty nice. unlimited buff in a very cool gun. I want that skin! Thanks for the gift!

Third year…. WOW WOW WOW ! It took me 2 hours to decided what dye I was going pick. And then all my character got the benefit of it. Kind of makes up for first year gift.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the amazing birthday preset. much appreciated!