500 AP for GW1 Hall of Monuments Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Serendipity.8326

Serendipity.8326

Nobody is even close to getting all possible GW2 achievements (pvp and wvw), so that’s what I meant by losing time.

Why is no one tackling the elephant in the room?

Who cares about Achievement Points!?!

Seriously, this is the absolute first time I’ve heard of anyone competing for these things. They are as much a “leaderboard” as WWF is actual “wrestling.” They are trivial earnings at most, and just plain insignificant at the least.

Indeed, for you they aren’t. Plenty of other people care. Some people spend pretty much all their time in spvp to rank up as quickly as possible. Not everyone has the same goals as you.

(edited by Serendipity.8326)

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Seriously, this is the absolute first time I’ve heard of anyone competing for these things. They are as much a “leaderboard” as WWF is actual “wrestling.” They are trivial earnings at most, and just plain insignificant at the least.

haha, I am just striking friendly debate. I personally care less about my achievement points except as a personal commemorate. I disagree with the logic “I wasn’t there, didn’t buy it, didn’t support it, etc; but I want the rewards that came with it anyways”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I would say the Fiery Dragon Sword is more than just a useless skin, considering Jormag’s Breath is worth 150 gold and shares the same skin, but colored different.

Matter of opinion there. Jormag’s Breath is a bit less … stupid. When sheathed it doesn’t get partly stuck into the ground so your character is basically dragging the fiery dragon sword around.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Nobody is even close to getting all possible GW2 achievements (pvp and wvw), so that’s what I meant by losing time.

So my point is. When a person tells me they have earned all possible GW2 AP’s, but are not in first because the person in front of them has the GW1 APs, I will have a tad more grief for that person. Still, GW1 AP’s are still viable and can still be earned. My account is linked, therefore the games are linked, therefore GW1 APs are entirely fair.

Posted by: Draygen.7348

Draygen.7348

A lot of people do, it’s rather common in MMO’s to compete with others, achievement points are one of the few areas in this game where you can compete long-term. Not everyone shares your opinion of how the game should be played.

haha, I am just striking friendly debate. I personally care less about my achievement points except as a personal commemorate. I disagree with the logic “I wasn’t there, didn’t buy it, didn’t support it, etc; but I want the rewards that came with it anyways”

Except that isn’t really the logic behind the argument, you get unique skins and titles and a few achievement points. The amount given by the achievements now is unnecessary and makes competing on the leaderboards much more difficult. Your loyalty is already rewarded, but the GW2 leaderboards should be based on GW2 and the influence from GW1 should be minimal. The main prestige you get from HoM are the titles, really.

I find it rather amusing that people so vigorously defend getting increased points while saying “points are pointless.”

Also, I have 45/50 HoM myself so it’s not like I’ve gained nothing from the change and am bitter of those who did.

(edited by Draygen.7348)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Oh so that’s where my extra points came from

Cool

Haters gonna hate and all that jazz

Posted by: william dj.6953

william dj.6953

Some days the forums sure are a source of amusement. People sniffling over achievement points. Who would have thought this would be so life changing. Give the GW1 players the points they earned them. I have the game. Don’t have the HoM ap. Could go back and get them if I choose to. Instead of whining on a forum longer about it than it takes to start racking them up.

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

We get 500 AP because we follow the tradition of a long line of heroes.

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

time spent playing GW1 now will be time not spent in GW2, so you lose out anyway.

Yeah but by that logic any time not spent playing gw2 is a waste, therefore we’re all wasting time here on the forums while other people are out there gaining achievements and improving their place on some leaderboard out there somewhere. Which in essence means this thread is a waste of time, that this very argument is a waste and getting upset about it is a total waste. Stop waisting time people leave this thread now and play the game! Before someone takes your spot, HURRY!

(lol, this is a joke post please don’t take this too seriously)

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

I find it rather amusing that people so vigorously defend getting increased points while saying “points are pointless.”

Straw man. The context of that sentiment was that the leaderboard competition was pointless. Getting free AP is nice because it helps with unlocking the new achievement bonuses.

Also, the one big subjective factor in all this is whether or not GW1 players were adequately rewarded. It’s equally amusing to see people assume their opinion on reward adequacy is objective rather than subjective. The trump card in all this is that clearly ANet feels the original reward was not sufficient.

(edited by Serenity.6149)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Remember, you need about 10,000 points already for that 500 extra points to make a difference as to whether you would be a leader on the Leaderboards. I am in the 90th percentile, and I am nowhere near close to that. Not sure what one ‘wins’, anyway. We are talking about one 500 point chest, I guess. /shrug

Serenity.6149

We get 500 AP because we follow the tradition of a long line of heroes.

^ This. :-p

Posted by: sarmatiko.2843

sarmatiko.2843

Would love a developer response on this issue.

The only “issue” here is your jealousy. I doubt that developers would be able to fix that.

Also this is just another “late to the party, can’t compete (like there is any competition at all) with anyone” whine thread.

And as GW1 player I would love to see at least some minor increase in player population caused by this AP increase. Game deserve it.

(edited by sarmatiko.2843)

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

And as GW1 player I would love to see at least some minor increase in player population caused by this AP increase. Game deserve it.

And your issue, much like everyone else praising the change, is greed. Greed blinding you from whats fair to Guild Wars 2 players.

Let me put it another way for you, every achievement in the game can/ has be earned through guild wars 2 without paying money for them.

Hall of Monuments have no way of being obtained unless you pay money for them and im very surprised ANet would resort to selling AP for people who wish to remain competitive on the highscores.

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Indeed, for you they aren’t. Plenty of other people care. Some people spend pretty much all their time in spvp to rank up as quickly as possible. Not everyone has the same goals as you.

Let me get this straight…so people spend their time in sPvP, a mode that already has it’s own legitimate and apt stats(W/L, Kill%, etc), to gain points in an all-inclusive participation system that has no determinant reward? /facepalm

The Achievement Point System is not a leaderboard, despite some chart keeping track of them. It is the virtual equivalent of “gold stars” you get in first grade when you never miss a class. If someone really wants to be “that guy” that holds up an attendance award as if it’s something players actually cared about, knock yerself out. But don’t /rage because my kindergarten just happened to be in the same building. :/

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Obsidian.1328

They are pointless.

I could care less if they somehow got erased from my account. All I thought was “neato” about HoM was the skins…you know, stuff you can actually look at.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

That comparison makes no sense. Nobody is saying that you shouldn’t get rewarded for it. Just not achievement points.

Why not? How can someone justify what we shall or shall not have? I supported this company and Guild Wars 2 before many of the players now new about it. I spread the word about the game, I recommended checking out the teaser trailer to folks when it came out in 09’, and supported ArenaNet with purchasing GW1 products.

This is exactly what I think the GW2 (only) players miss.

They forgot that, prior to playing GW2, the ones who played GW1 -> GW2 supported ANet most of the way.
When the announcement of GW2 arrived around the time of the release of EoTN, you bet that I told EVERYONE I knew about it. And that was 2007?

(Yes, they announced GW2 around the time of EoTN, and most people don’t know that)

That’s almost 5 years of full on support. Even when I was playing Aion (2009-2010ish), I told everyone about this amazing upcoming game known as Guild Wars 2, and that they should definitely try it. And that was 3 years before release! Even before the “hype”!

Edit: And this was before the GW2 icon was the “red 2 dragon” icon, it was the 2 with the globe of an Earth~like planet on it.

Edit #2: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Normal_gw2logo.jpg Here it is! Scroll down a little bit, and you can even see it was first added in March 2007! That felt like ages ago…

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)

Posted by: zelleni.5897

zelleni.5897

I need to agree with Ascii on this one, points that Anet gave to people that played GW1 is just ridiculous and doing huge damage to leaderboards. I understand that most of people don’t really care about AP leaderboards but there is decent amount of people who does, and not all of them played GW1.
I don’t mind if those people that played GW1 get even more skins then they already did, more titles or anything but doing such thing as giving them 500 AP just like that is just terrible and unfair. I enjoy playing with people who played GW1 and i would support Anet on giving them more rewards, those people deserved it, but giving this amount of AP is just wrong.
Running for achievement points is a lot of fun for me, especially when your friends are around same amount of points as you and you have competition that keeps pushing you forward, and now all from sudden they get 500 points more which is impossible to catch up with.
I like competing in games and Leaderboards were one of the best thing Anet did so far. I enjoyed working on my AP and now after all this and falling down from almost top500 to outside of top700 makes me feel all of it was for nothing.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Nick, that’s not what I’m saying. I said they deserve something for playing Guild Wars 1 and being a loyal customer – the 50 total achievement points, skins, AND titles is enough of a reward in my opinion.

To make it a requirement to play Guild Wars 1 in order to make the GUILD WARS 2 leaderboard is not fair. 500 Achievement points vs 50 achievement points rewarded before is a huge difference.

There’s your problem. You’re worried about the leader board. Stop worrying about it and your problem goes away.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Wait people take leader boards seriously?

Posted by: sarmatiko.2843

sarmatiko.2843

Hall of Monuments have no way of being obtained unless you pay money for them and im very surprised ANet would resort to selling AP for people who wish to remain competitive on the highscores.

So you don’t want to buy GW1 and grind for additional achievements. That’s understandable.
But someone more determined will buy and will grind to win in competition. Don’t like it? Then you not deserve your SoR first place on nolife achievements.

how do you expect new players to be AP competitive ? How about the players who will buy the game in 2 years ?? when you are late to the party you are late …..thank you.

New players never catch up for current active top rank players and these 500 AP are totally irrelevant unless people from the tops suddenly stop playing.
You want to catch up with someone who grinded 10 months of dailies and blaming HoM AP’s for inevitable failure?

(edited by sarmatiko.2843)

Serenity.6149

Let me put it another way for you, every achievement in the game can/ has be earned through guild wars 2 without paying money for them.

You’re kinda right, actually. It was my understanding that you could no longer accrue HoM rewards unless you bought EotN before GW2 release, but if it’s still possible then implement a cutoff preventing any new HoMs being started. Problem solved. You will no longer have to worry about paying for APs.

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

GW1 is not a temporary content. It is still there and if you want, you can get it and work on your 50/50. Dailies are much worse since if you miss one, they are gone for good. If you really want those points, play some GW1.

Posted by: legendarybuckeye.3574

legendarybuckeye.3574

Well if Arena.net decides that you need to play a different game in order to be competitive on the leaderboard, then nobody should take it seriously anymore. You shouldn’t have to feel like you have to go back to GW1 to stay on the GW2 leaderboard. You can’t get those achievements by playing GW2, so it shouldn’t have that big of an effect on the GW2 leaderboards. That’s been my point all along, and I’m not saying GW1 vets shouldn’t be rewarded – they already have been rewarded enough with skins and titles.

legendarybuckeye.3574

GW1 is not a temporary content. It is still there and if you want, you can get it and work on your 50/50. Dailies are much worse since if you miss one, they are gone for good. If you really want those points, play some GW1.

That’s the thing. Yes, you can still go back and do it, but why is it worth so much? You shouldn’t get a SUBSTANTIAL amount of GW2 achievement points for doing stuff in another game. Does Arenanet really want you to go back to play GW1 instead of GW2? Why did they feel they need to reward so much for doing so much in another game?

It’s like making the All NBA-team because you were an all-american in college. You don’t deserve credit (at least not achievement credit when there’s competitive leaderboards) – different league, different game.

Serenity.6149

Well if Arena.net decides that you need to play a different game in order to be competitive on the leaderboard, then nobody should take it seriously anymore. You shouldn’t have to feel like you have to go back to GW1 to stay on the GW2 leaderboard. You can’t get those achievements by playing GW2, so it shouldn’t have that big of an effect on the GW2 leaderboards. That’s been my point all along, and I’m not saying GW1 vets shouldn’t be rewarded – they already have been rewarded enough with skins and titles.

Wait, so is there still a problem? Since the criteria listed in your first sentence in true, therefore the result listed in the same sentence should also apply. Nobody should take it seriously anymore, and neither should you.

And as I stated before, “they already have been rewarded enough” is your subjective opinion, not your determination to make, and one that ANet clearly disagrees with.

Obsidian.1328

Wth am I missing here lol! It’s not a leaderboard bud..it’s just some thing that tallies stuff you do in the game.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Hang on. It doesn’t look like those points actually show up in the leaderboard. Are we sure they do?

Because my name hasn’t moved up in the Leaderboards at all. It’s entirely possible that Guild Wars 1 points are capped for the leaderboard. I think we should investigate this before we go nuts.

There’s 500 point discrepancy between my point total and my leaderboard point total.

Awe.1096

That’s the thing. Yes, you can still go back and do it, but why is it worth so much? You shouldn’t get a SUBSTANTIAL amount of GW2 achievement points for doing stuff in another game. Does Arenanet really want you to go back to play GW1 instead of GW2? Why did they feel they need to reward so much for doing so much in another game?

It’s like making the All NBA-team because you were an all-american in college. You don’t deserve credit (at least not achievement credit when there’s competitive leaderboards) – different league, different game.

I dont agree with that. In fact I think there should be MORE things that move from GW1 to GW2. GW2 is a sequel to GW1. They should be connected. As the matter of fact, I stopped playing GW1 around 2010 and then came back in 2012 specifically to complete the 50/50 in preparation for GW2. 500 points is an equivalent of 1-month worth dailies. So if someone joined GW2 in October 2012 and made all dailies since then, he will already miss more points than entire reward from GW1. And he will never be able to get those points back (unless ANet will change something with daily rewards later on) again. Unlike GW1 which is there and ready to be played at all times. And despite its age, I think its worth it if you never did. Great game.

(edited by Awe.1096)

legendarybuckeye.3574

Wait, so is there still a problem? Since the criteria listed in your first sentence in true, therefore the result listed in the same sentence should also apply. Nobody should take it seriously anymore, and neither should you.

And as I stated before, “they already have been rewarded enough” is your subjective opinion, not your determination to make, and one that ANet clearly disagrees with.

I did care about the leaderboards, but if Arena.net wants to give out substantial GW2 achievement points for things you can’t even accomplish inside the game itself, then the leaderboard has lost a lot of credibility.

The point of the leaderboard is to show how much people have accomplished in GW2… not GW1, not Aion, not Lineage, or whatever. GW1 can have it’s own separate leaderboard.

Serenity.6149

I did care about the leaderboards, but if Arena.net wants to give out substantial GW2 achievement points for things you can’t even accomplish inside the game itself, then the leaderboard has lost a lot of credibility.

The point of the leaderboard is to show how much people have accomplished in GW2… not GW1, not Aion, not Lineage, or whatever. GW1 can have it’s own separate leaderboard.

Not sure if you’re the silver lining kind of person, but considering the amount of angst posted in the past by players fed up with spending their day maintaining their rank by doing every single 1-point daily before being able to play the game the way they actually want to, perhaps you should consider this a blessing. You will now be able to go on vacation in the next however many years GW2 survives for, without feeling terrible about falling behind.

And there’s no point bringing up Aion or Lineage. You may feel like it’s the same thing, but it really isn’t.

(edited by Serenity.6149)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

My leaderboard score moved up. I was looking at the board earlier today, and one of my guild’s leader had a +248 points. I thought to myself: Oh, silly me, I should have checked my points right after I logged on. (Just to see the jump)

Still…I don’t understand the concern of most about this. Unless you had 10,000+ points, or so, does it really make that big of a difference if you were number 832 and now are 883?

What are we competing for? To be on the front page of the leaderboards? Woohoo!
How many people scroll past the first page or two, except to see their own name?
If it’s the reward, well, everyone will get the chest eventually. Unless, they stop playing, and then who cares where they are on the leaderboard. Except for the top 100 people, or so, I just don’t see the issue. That’s just me. Maybe I’m clueless, or something.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Apparently so.

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

I’ve played GW1 for a very long time and my HoM is actually pretty stuffed (30/50 that I set myself as a goal) but in my opinion GW1 and GW2 achievements should have stayed separate. Giving people bonuses in GW2 for being active GW1 players is in my opinion just plain wrong and unfair to the new players. In fact I would have removed the “Hall of Monuments” achievement category completely because even giving 2 points per tier for GW1 in GW2 is unfair.

Unique skills and titles should have been the only things that were rewarded to the GW1 players and nothing more.

Awe.1096

I’ve played GW1 for a very long time and my HoM is actually pretty stuffed (30/50 that I set myself as a goal) but in my opinion GW1 and GW2 achievements should have stayed separate. Giving people bonuses in GW2 for being active GW1 players is in my opinion just plain wrong and unfair to the new players. In fact I would have removed the “Hall of Monuments” achievement category completely because even giving 2 points per tier for GW1 in GW2 is unfair.

Unique skills and titles should have been the only things that were rewarded to the GW1 players and nothing more.

Talk about unfair when you will have a 1 day Internet outage and you will miss your daily which you will never be able to earn again.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Except for the top 100 people, or so, I just don’t see the issue. That’s just me. Maybe I’m clueless, or something.

Well, I was one of them. I’m competitive by nature. Since I consider myself somewhat casual (just stubborn and persistent), simply being in the top for bragging rights over those who want to call themselves elite is its own sweet reward.

I was placed in the low 90s yesterday (NA servers).

I just looked and now I’m 142nd.

I dropped out of the top, and am unlikely to be able to get back there, because I didn’t play a different game? So yeah, I’m kinda kittened off right now.

And the question is legit – this wasn’t mentioned in the patch notes. Was it intentional?

Ascii.9726

So you don’t want to buy GW1 and grind for additional achievements. That’s understandable.
But someone more determined will buy and will grind to win in competition. Don’t like it? Then you not deserve your SoR first place on nolife achievements.

I don’t and shouldn’t have to pay for a new game + expansions to earn achievements in this game it makes no sense to have a Guild Wars 2 Achievement Highscore if its dictated by Guild Wars 1 Achievements.

And re-read what you typed ‘buy to win in competition.’ This should not be the case for any highscore, period.

Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

Ascii.9726

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

As someone who did play GW1 and has all the skin rewards (if not all the titles), I wholeheartedly agree that they shouldn’t grant GW2 achievement points.
And to be honest, I’m getting fed up of seeing titles from GW1 displayed too, ESPECIALLY GWAMM, as it is longer than any name you can have and causes needless screen clutter.
Let players display GWAMM, but give me the option of not displaying the titles of other players.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

Everyone got some achievement points they didn’t have earlier. No need to be spiteful about it.

I didn’t. Still sitting at 4830.

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

william dj.6953

guess its time to play some gw1 and finish a few more up. Instead of QQ ing mommy someone got more achievement points than me. It’s not fair. stamp foot.

That’s all the majority of the people are seeing from all the whining about this. It’s a freaking sequel, if you don’t know what that means, look it up.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I swear people are willing to complain about everything.

I am a DPS guardian in high end PvP, the concept of a guardian that DPS’s at that level is flat out nonsense since there are better options. One would assume, that because no one else runs guardian DPS … I would be forced to reroll another class to maintain my rank.

Well guess what, even though there are better options I am NOT forced to play another class to maintain my high rank in the leaderboards.

And you will also experience the same, you will not be forced to play Guild Wars classic for achievement points.

Complaining for a change will fix nothing, the achievement point change for HoM is set in stone and quite frankly, you’re just going to have to deal with it.

Posted by: QuadJunky.2736

QuadJunky.2736

The original rewards in the HoM were enough to begin with titles, minis, achievement points, ranger pet skins, armor skins, weapon skins etc.

Talk about entitled gamers these days. I guess in GW3 you will want rewards from gw1 and 2 right?

william dj.6953

What amazes me, is there are people who actually think their position on the leaderboard is important to everyone else. If you want to see who is looking at your position on the leaderboard. Look in a mirror. You will see the only one who cares.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Wait a sec, you think the Achievement Points are a competition? Well that’s a new one, I didn’t know players did that. :/

Yes sadly some people do….

I stopped playing Runescape because it is like that there very bad lol. I was at one point a very very long time ago the 24th ranked in the world there. That game however takes (well it did b4 the mass cheating and new Pay to win crept into the game) REAL dedication to earn those points however unlike here, so I really can’t see how people take this as an issue…

Oh well each to their own.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Ascii.9726

And you will also experience the same, you will not be forced to play Guild Wars classic for achievement points.

If i ever want to regain my position in the rankings, i have to buy Guild Wars 1 + Expansions for the +500 AP. Period.

Still want a developer response on this issue please!

Ascii.9726

Talk about unfair when you will have a 1 day Internet outage and you will miss your daily which you will never be able to earn again.

The difference there is that’s AP missed from GW2, not GW1.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

it is fair. those hall of monument achievements takes a lot of time to achieve.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

it is fair.

well, i dare say 500 is not enough.

we deserve more.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I can see a simple solution to this and if more and more people complain I can see Anet resorting to it – take tany AP gained from GW1 out of the leaderboards. Keep them for the rewards sure but simply remove them from leaderboard totals.

Those of us who played GW1 and don’t care about the leaderboards shouldn’t worry about this. Those that did/do, well tough luck fair is fair I say.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?