500 AP for GW1 Hall of Monuments Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

These achievements are now giving 50 AP per completed achievement instead of the previous 2, is this a bug or working as intended.

Personally i think these should not reward any AP at all, (just titles + perks) as i feel i shouldn’t be forced to play GW1 to remain highscore competitive on GW2.

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

Posted by: Serendipity.8326

Serendipity.8326

As someone who has not played GW1, I have to agree it is quite unfair. The 20 AP it gave before was an insignificant amount, so I guess that was fine, but 500 is way too much, heavily influencing the achievement leaderboards.

And no ANet, this won’t make me buy and play GW1!

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

These achievements are arguably worth the 50 in terms of time investment to achieve them. Honestly, they could even be worth more and it’d be fine; getting 50/50 HoM points is a serious accomplishment.

And for the record, anyone can still get them, just go hop over to GW1 and work on the HoM.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

While my selfish side wouldn’t mind the AP boost from this, it does seem absurd for such a large chunk of AP to be awarded for achievements in a different game.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Not at all a problem. It’s a way to reward loyal Anet customers. I’m totally fine with that, not having 50/50 HoM myself. Also, the time invested to get 50/50 HoM is praiseworthy.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Ascii.9726

Not at all a problem. It’s a way to reward loyal Anet customers. I’m totally fine with that, not having 50/50 HoM myself. Also, the time invested to get 50/50 HoM is praiseworthy.

The titles and skins are loyalty enough, 500 AP messes up all the highscores rankings for all non-GW1 players.

I should not have to play GW1 to be highscore competitive on GW2, this would be like giving a 100 point lead to tPvP teams who did well in there previous matches, it does not promote healthy competition within GW2.

And for the record, anyone can still get them, just go hop over to GW1 and work on the HoM.

By ‘hop over’ you mean spend $19.99 + however much in expansions.

Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

Posted by: legendarybuckeye.3574

legendarybuckeye.3574

Was it intentional to make each tier of Hall of Monuments points worth 50 points now, when before each tier was only worth 5 points?

I’m all for giving players of the original Guild Wars a slight benefit for being a loyal customer to Arena.net, but 500 achievement points seems a lot to be rewarded for gaining achievements that aren’t even in this game. I think it is a bit unfair to those achievement hunters who did not get a chance to play Guild Wars 1 much. It makes me want to go back to Guild Wars 1 just to get those achievements now, since they are worth so many points when I’d rather be playing Guild Wars 2.

I had a chance of getting on the Achievement Points leaderboard before, but now I have no chance at all and it’s because I didn’t accomplish things in ANOTHER game. That is not fair.

(edited by legendarybuckeye.3574)

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

If true this is very cool.
Im off to log in game to check

Edit: yep Im nearly 300 AP richer than I was earlier

(edited by Ricky Da Man.5064)

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Everyone got some achievement points they didn’t have earlier. No need to be spiteful about it.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Yeah, players who supported Arena Net long before you started playing GW2 deserve nothing.

Posted by: Spaced Invader.1823

Spaced Invader.1823

Finally something substantial for our x000 hours of GW1 loyalty.
The 25 points I originally received for GWAMM + 50/50 were less than 2 Dailies…

Judging from the GW1Guru forums, this might also help to revitalize the heavily suffering GW1 population. Up to the point where people who want to get the titles now couldn’t do it, because all the stuff that relies on other people simply can’t be done anymore.

Enjoying Guild Wars since closed alpha in early 2004.

legendarybuckeye.3574

Nick, that’s not what I’m saying. I said they deserve something for playing Guild Wars 1 and being a loyal customer – the 50 total achievement points, skins, AND titles is enough of a reward in my opinion.

To make it a requirement to play Guild Wars 1 in order to make the GUILD WARS 2 leaderboard is not fair. 500 Achievement points vs 50 achievement points rewarded before is a huge difference.

Ascii.9726

Would love a developer response on this issue.

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

Nick, that’s not what I’m saying. I said they deserve something for playing Guild Wars 1 and being a loyal customer – the 50 total achievement points and skins is enough of a reward in my opinion.

To make it a requirement to play Guild Wars 1 in order to make the GUILD WARS 2 leaderboard is not fair. 500 Achievement points vs 50 achievement points rewarded before is a huge difference.

Well, a bunch of useless skins and a measly number of achievement points was not enough of a reward in my opinion. Oh well.

Was it even 50 total achievement points? I feel like you are overstating the amount, as, IIRC, each completed tier was only 2 points for me. The later tiers (past 30) might have been worth more though, so I don’t know.

Posted by: william dj.6953

william dj.6953

Soon as I seen ppl were getting ap from 100’s if not 1000 plus hours of GW1. I knew the kitten storm would hit the fan.
I totally agree. the 2 points per achievement for a 1000 or more hours played is to much for those people. After all their dedication to Anet in GW1 shouldn’t be worth a total of 20 points in what is considered a sequel. It is a sad day that Anet should acknowledge the dedication of those players. Sad indeed.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Hey! I’m glad to be adequately rewarded for my devoted efforts in GW1, Those HoM achievements, title grinding. I spent a large amount of time and effort to get those.

Thank you ArenaNet

Antara.3189

Nick, that’s not what I’m saying. I said they deserve something for playing Guild Wars 1 and being a loyal customer – the 50 total achievement points, skins, AND titles is enough of a reward in my opinion.

500 Achievement points is not a “Make it, or break it” for the GW2 AP reward system. This is far from a requirement IMO, more of a appreciative thank you from ANet to the loyal fan base who made this forum, this game, and this new great community possible.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Trust me you could get 500 points a heck of a lot easier/faster just playing gw2 don’t worry about it…..

I only earned 30 points in GW1 just enough for all the skins and trust me the time that took as I said you can get 500 points here a lot faster and have a ton more fun doing so…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Syriac Nefarious.2389

Syriac Nefarious.2389

I for one am VERY happy with this, I invested thousands of hours into Guild Wars 1 since the beta, bought every pre release/collectors edition, extra, and tried to accomplish everything I could, when HOM was introduce and they announced the connection between accounts I was Very happy, But when I only received 50 total points for this I was Not happy. Thank You Arenanet!!

legendarybuckeye.3574

I would say the Fiery Dragon Sword is more than just a useless skin, considering Jormag’s Breath is worth 150 gold and shares the same skin, but colored different. God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals is one of the coolest titles you can have. Also now, if you had any ambition of making the Guild Wars 2 achievement leaderboard, you have to go back and play Guild Wars 1 to be competitive. You should be rewarded, but you shouldn’t be rewarded that much for playing a different game.

And for those of you saying 500 points isn’t a lot… it really is. If you are up high enough to make the leaderboard, you’ve accomplished almost everything in the game already and the points are not easy to come by.

Serendipity.8326

Trust me you could get 500 points a heck of a lot easier/faster just playing gw2 don’t worry about it…..

Tell that to the people who have 10k+ AP…

legendarybuckeye.3574

Tell that to the people who have 10k+ AP…

Exactly. For those of you who actually take the game seriously, the 500 achievement points is a big deal and it’s not easy to make up once you’re that high in achievement points. Unless you are close to making the leaderboards, then you won’t understand what this change means.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I would say the Fiery Dragon Sword is more than just a useless skin, considering Jormag’s Breath is worth 150 gold and shares the same skin, but colored different. God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals is one of the coolest titles you can have. Also now, if you had any ambition of making the Guild Wars 2 achievement leaderboard, you have to go back and play Guild Wars 1 to be competitive. You should be rewarded, but you shouldn’t be rewarded that much for playing a different game.

And for those of you saying 500 points isn’t a lot… it really is. If you are up high enough to make the leaderboard, you’ve accomplished almost everything in the game already and the points are not easy to come by.

Stop being so spiteful to GW1 veterans. Seriously?

We (they) are the ones who supported GW2 when it was unknown. (they) are the ones who were loyal enough to buy both GW1 and GW2. (they) are the ones who took the time to finish 30/50 or 50/50 HoM points.

Do you know how long it takes to even GET 50/50? Even I don’t have 50/50 and I’ve been playing since Factions release! (well, my laziness was a factor….)

To get 50/50 they must either have a lot of devotion or play GW1 very very regularly (if it wasn’t you’re goal, then 50/50 could have been accomplished by “normal” play)

When they released their HoM rewards calculator, I was not impressed. Neither am I impressed now of the extra 50 pts/each for my 30/50

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Who cares? Achievement points are a dime a dozen. Some players have over 10k and the game hasn’t even hit the 1-year mark.

The more time passes, the less an issue this will be…not that it should be one now.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Nop , not too much rewards , i played GW1 for seven years and I am now rewarded accordingly. You want it ? do the same , buy Gw1 and earn your titles period.

Antara.3189

All I want to add is,

It took me one year of devoted play time to map tyria in GW1. Scraping map over and over. Before “text mod” the only way to do it was to compare maps of others. Very thankful that I got rewarded for biting through that time.

legendarybuckeye.3574

I’m not being spiteful to GW1 veterans. I’ve always said GW1 veterans should be rewarded, but not with more achievement points that affect Guild Wars 2 leaderboards. You guys can be given more armor and weapon skins, more cool titles, etc for all I care, but when you are given a 450 point boost, that is a bit unfair for those trying to be competitive in GW2. This is a different game, leaderboards were added for competition, and you shouldn’t gain that big of a competitive advantage for playing a different game. That’s all I’m saying.

Most of you won’t understand unless you are an achievement hunter and going for the leaderboards… only then would you realize how big of an effect this change has. You have to go back and play GW1 to be competitive.

Ascii.9726

Nop , not too much rewards , i played GW1 for seven years and I am now rewarded accordingly. You want it ? do the same , buy Gw1 and earn your titles period.

Play Guild Wars 1 to rank in Guild Wars 2… No thank you and i shouldn’t have too. This is a giant middle finger to anyone who wants to be AP competitive on Guild Wars 2 but has not played the previous game.

Serendipity.8326

Do you know how long it takes to even GET 50/50? Even I don’t have 50/50 and I’ve been playing since Factions release! (well, my laziness was a factor….)

And what about those people who have spent 2000+ hours in GW2 to maintain a high spot on the leaderboard, only to now find out that they cannot keep up? At this point, even if they wanted to go back and get the HoM achievements, that would be time they would have to spend not working towards getting actual GW2 achievements.

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

Well, this is obviously subjective, but the Fiery Dragon Sword was nice for all of two seconds, until 1) you realize anyone who played GW1 has it (its one of the early rewards), and 2) you realize that the only class you want to use sword on is your Mesmer. Also, Jormag’s Breath is worth what it’s worth because that’s how much the materials are worth. 11-50/50 were pretty lackluster.

Just face it. If the achievement points were originally higher, like they probably should have been, you wouldn’t have anything to complain about right now.

Posted by: Kagu.2015

Kagu.2015

People who played gw1 were already rewarded with skins, titles and pets. Giving them achievement points is too much. Its unfair to people who spent a lot of time on achievement points in gw2 but didn’t have a chance to play gw1 for whatever reason and it breaks leaderboards.

Antara.3189

I’m not being spiteful to GW1 veterans. I’ve always said GW1 veterans should be rewarded, but not with more achievement points that affect Guild Wars 2 leaderboards. You guys can be given more armor and weapon skins, more cool titles, etc for all I care, but when you are given a 450 point boost, that is a bit unfair for those trying to be competitive in GW2. This is a different game, leaderboards were added for competition, and you shouldn’t gain that big of a competitive advantage for playing a different game. That’s all I’m saying.

This can just go back and forth, but with that logic;

Let’s say I take a break for a year, Live Story continues, and you continue to rack up points, I come back to find out players could earn a total of 3k points by completing all the live story within that year. Should I say that was unfair because they got to get those points and I didn’t? Because I didn’t know about it? or didn’t feel like playing? They are both designed by the same company and they support both games. They have always been tied together, this is nothing new.

AS much as I wish you could go back in time 2 years and slam out GW1 HoM before GW2 was out, you can’t and it just happened that way. Some of us were there and got to play. It’s the same logic as me missing out on a new update and not knowing about it. Nothing you can do.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Play Guild Wars 1 to rank in Guild Wars 2… No thank you and i shouldn’t have too. This is a giant middle finger to anyone who wants to be AP competitive on Guild Wars 2 but has not played the previous game.

how do you expect new players to be AP competitive ? How about the players who will buy the game in 2 years ?? when you are late to the party you are late …..thank you.

Posted by: Kryptonite.9376

Kryptonite.9376

And what about those people who have spent 2000+ hours in GW2 to maintain a high spot on the leaderboard, only to now find out that they cannot keep up? At this point, even if they wanted to go back and get the HoM achievements, that would be time they would have to spend not working towards getting actual GW2 achievements.

Ignores GW1. Whines about how he should be equal with those who didn’t. The logic.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

If it bothers you that much, you can have my spot on the leaderboards where ever it is.
The leaderboards are and always have been a huge joke on the players, why you are even bringing them up is mind boggling.
Now to the achievement points themselves, nothing is stopping you or anyone else from playing GW1 and getting the points yourself. They are just as available to you as they where for the rest of us.
50/50, GWAMM and I still play and support GW1, so thank you Anet as well!

Antara.3189

If it bothers you that much, you can have my spot on the leaderboards where ever it is.
The leaderboards are and always have been a huge joke on the players, why you are even bringing them up is mind boggling.
Now to the achievement points themselves, nothing is stopping you or anyone else from playing GW1 and getting the points yourself. They are just as available to you as they where for the rest of us.
50/50, GWAMM and I still play and support GW1, so thank you Anet as well!

That’s a valid point. Maybe that give me more room to complain about not getting some of the LS AP’s that others did Since I can no longer get those and people can still go back and do GW1 stuff

If I’ve learned anything since I’ve been fortunate to be on this earth, it’s one thing “Life isn’t fair, it’s benign, I can’t control what has already happened but only take part in the history not yet to pass.”

(edited by Antara.3189)

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Let’s say I take a break for a year, Live Story continues, and you continue to rack up points, I come back to find out players could earn a total of 3k points by completing all the live story within that year. Should I say that was unfair because they got to get those points and I didn’t? Because I didn’t know about it? or didn’t feel like playing? They are both designed by the same company and they support both games. They have always been tied together, this is nothing new.

AS much as I wish you could go back in time 2 years and slam out GW1 HoM before GW2 was out, you can’t and it just happened that way. Some of us were there and got to play. It’s the same logic as me missing out on a new update and not knowing about it. Nothing you can do.

Exactly. I’ve played GW2 since launch, and ~Late September – Late November, there were barley any new patches. Everyone had “finished” GW2, their personal story, their exotic gear, and they were bored.

I was even bored and took the month off after the Lost Shores -fiasco- was completed.

That month off totaled ~30 dailies. Back then, dailies were worth 5 Achiev. Pts each. And there were a fixed 5 dailies. So everyday that month, I missed out on 35 achievement points. That’s 1,050 AP!
And that was before anyone knew anything about a “leader board.”

Am I entitled to get those points back? No, I shouldn’t be.

My point is, stop whining. Oh booo hooo, you have to more dailies/monthlies now to get a “better” spot on the leader board.
How many people look at that anyway? I don’t, and only 3 out of 15 people in my friend’s list do

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)

Serendipity.8326

Ignores GW1. Whines about how he should be equal with those who didn’t. The logic.

How can you defend having GW2 achievements that are not obtainable in that game? Where’s the logic in that? If you have not realised, they are different games.

Antara.3189

How can you defend having GW2 achievements that are not obtainable in that game? Where’s the logic in that? If you have not realised, they are different games.

So theoretically if I bought “x” from a manufacture and they told me that if I continue to support them they would give me a custom model of the next gen. You happened to not know about them but like the new model. You buy the model and then see that I am driving a custom model of the new gen “x”. It’s unfair that you couldn’t get one as well?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Does it take long to get those HoM or whatever thing that is? I’m thinking about getting GW1 just for the achivement and maybe the ranger pet which you need GW1 to get.

But not sure how long it’ll take me to get it from GW1.

Obsidian.1328

Wait a sec, you think the Achievement Points are a competition? Well that’s a new one, I didn’t know players did that. :/

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Serendipity.8326

That comparison makes no sense. Nobody is saying that you shouldn’t get rewarded for it. Just not achievement points.

Ascii.9726

how do you expect new players to be AP competitive ? How about the players who will buy the game in 2 years ?? when you are late to the party you are late …..thank you.

Difference is those AP’s were received in Guild Wars 2, you know the game were playing not in a different game you have to pay for. Guild Wars 2 AP Highscores should in no way be influenced by anything other then achievements received within Guild Wars 2.

Hall of Monuments players already earn unique titles, skins and if your a ranger pets which is enough.

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

Lets look at this in an objective light shall we? Just for a moment?
There’s a lot of achievements in GW2 alone that are now exclusive such as southsun cove and fire and frost that a lot of new players (and old players who missed the events for one reason or another) are unable to go back and get. The same logic in essence applies to the Hall of monuments achievements with one exception- YOU CAN STILL GO BACK AND PLAY GW1 TO GET THEM! If achievement points are that important to you pick up a copy of gw1 play the game, grind out the achievements, be pro active and quit complaining!

Obsidian.1328

That comparison makes no sense. Nobody is saying that you shouldn’t get rewarded for it. Just not achievement points.

Why?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

legendarybuckeye.3574

It’s different. Those achievements you missed were at least in GW2, so those are fair achievements to be on the Guild Wars 2 leaderboard. You should not be rewarded a ton of achievement points for playing GW1, which is a different game. Skins, titles, and an insignificant amount of points is OK.

This is like Blizzard rewarding WoW players with a competitive advantage on a leaderboard for WoW for playing Diablo 1, 2, Warcraft, The Lost Vikings, and Starcraft because they are loyal customers, and not for actually accomplishing things in WoW. It makes the leaderboard a joke.

The players on the leaderboard should truly be those that accomplished the most in GW2, not from other/past games. You shouldn’t have to go back to playing an older game to stay competitive.

Antara.3189

Why not? How can someone justify what we shall or shall not have? I supported this company and Guild Wars 2 before many of the players now new about it. I spread the word about the game, I recommended checking out the teaser trailer to folks when it came out in 09’, and supported ArenaNet with purchasing GW1 products.

If I would had not been introduced to GW1 and only played GW2 what could I do about it? I could do what someone previously said and attempt to earn those HoM points (if I were into ranking in AP points, I most definitely would be trying.) But I would not condemn their decision or anyone who already completed the HoM points just because I didn’t buy the game/know about it.

Secondly note what a previous poster also said, this game hasn’t been out a year. GW1 points are not impossible to get, even now.

I mean any of you can attempt to contact the high ranking AP leaders and ask them. Do you feel your GW1 (if they have any) are the points that determine your lead?

Serendipity.8326

Because this is Guild Wars 2. Why does it warrant an achievement in GW2 if you haven’t done anything to actually get it in GW2?

Secondly note what a previous poster also said, this game hasn’t been out a year. GW1 points are not impossible to get, even now.

Again, and time spent playing GW1 now will be time not spent in GW2, so you lose out anyway.

Antara.3189

Because this is Guild Wars 2. Why does it warrant an achievement in GW2 if you haven’t done anything to actually get it in GW2?

Again, and time spent playing GW1 now will be time not spent in GW2, so you lose out anyway.

How so? You two just said that the 500 points determines who can be in the lead. So if that’s the case, that means said person who is not leading has to be because has not earned the GW1 points. So said person must have earned all Live Story, all other achievement points applicable to GW2. Said person has all APs except GW1. I doubt it.

So if Said person has all the points from GW2, why does it matter if he/she takes time away from GW2 and puts in GW1? he/she is still working towards Points regardless which series said person is playing. I fail to see how your argument is relevant in regards to GW1 points being the “make it or break it” point between being a leader or not.

(edited by Antara.3189)

Obsidian.1328

Why is no one tackling the elephant in the room?

Who cares about Achievement Points!?!

Seriously, this is the absolute first time I’ve heard of anyone competing for these things. They are as much a “leaderboard” as WWF is actual “wrestling.” They are trivial earnings at most, and just plain insignificant at the least.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care