HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

The core game came with more than enough content for the $60 price tag, depending which copy you bought, for me to not complain about not being able to play 3 out of the 8 classes without buying character slots.

Even if the quantity of content were to justify you complaining about the price, you should at least wait until everything has been announced first.

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

The core game came with more than enough content for the $60 price tag, depending which copy you bought, for me to not complain about not being able to play 3 out of the 8 classes without buying character slots.

Even if the quantity of content were to justify you complaining about the price, you should at least wait until everything has been announced first.

It’s kind of insulting to be shown kitten price tag on something that for all we know is incomplete. We still havent heard nearly enough to justify the $50 price tag. Dont get me wrong though, if the expansion comes with a lot more content than what we currently see then I most likely will buy it.

$50 price tag. Idk why it replaced that with kitten. O.o

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

ANet never guaranteed to you at any point from whenever you bought the game to now that you’d be able to have characters for all classes at once.
Why would you make that assumption, then?

They’ve also never stated they are going to give content in the expansion equal to its price tag of the game as compared to the base game. But that logically falls well within the area of reasonable expectation for any consumer looking to purchase the game, hence the E-War raging across the internet about the price tag.

There are certain things that don’t have to be advertised with any product, things like functioning as intended, undamaged, and containing all necessary parts and accessories for use. Having a character slot, for the new character class the expansion is going to give you, is not an unreasonable assumption, and falls in the same area.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

This enlightens me as to why this may have been done. I had presumed that the core game with HoT expansion was an either/or …but if you get expansion code separate with the option to apply to either new OR existing account…then this appears to be a way to artificially inflate their user numbers.

I can see gw2 telling investors/press
“HoT expansion draws in 1,000,000 NEW ACCOUNTS”
(while in reality it may be, 25k new accounts and 975,000 mule accounts)

Dated Feb 25, 2014 the website http://2p.com/4680897_1/Interesting-Numbers-about-Guild-Wars-2-You-Might-Not-Know-by-EdwardsLin.htm
shows at that time 5 million copies sold…

Really, what other purpose could there be for this sales technique, then to artificially boost numbers of game sold?

Thoughts? (poof out door to work)

eep edit after shower, had an extra 9 in there…really out door to work now

Existing players buying HoT get nothing but HoT. The “free core game” goes to waste, as there is just one key you get to apply to your existing account, or create a new one with. The only new accounts are coming from HoT buyers that do not already have an account, or the few current players that sacrifice their current accounts and make a new one.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: mordepth.7615

mordepth.7615

This is bad sales techniques. Far more money and sales would be made via the following solution (prices not included but would be cheaper).
1. Standard Expansion HoT WITHOUT core game.
2. Deluxe Expansion HoT WITHOUT core game.
3. Ultimate Expansion WITHOUT core game.
option 4 for new players.
4. Any of the above options WITH core game at 50% discount.
Simple to implement and means far higher sales than there will be at this rate. Happier Player Community too.
a tick box for the core game means emailing a voucher to get the core game at 50% reduction depending on the core game pack you wish for.

and i will keep saying this. HoT with free core game is a new client altogether like factions was and nightfall. yet they expanded the game. sorry but they were also separate continents. HoT is the same continent. I ain’t stupid ANet.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

4. Any of the above options WITH core game at 75% discount.

Like that no one Is left behind.

Axelwarrior.9084

It’s kind of insulting to be shown kitten price tag on something that for all we know is incomplete. We still havent heard nearly enough to justify the $50 price tag. Dont get me wrong though, if the expansion comes with a lot more content than what we currently see then I most likely will buy it.

Preorders are always being offered for incomplete games, that’s the point. If you wanna complain, complain about preorders, not the price of the expansion. You’ll be well justified, because preorders are bad in general.

mrstealth.6701

4. Any of the above options WITH core game at 75% discount.

Like that no one Is left behind.

This is also completely consistent with the promotions they’ve had in the run-up to HoT’s pre-purchase. And it is in-line with the original version of the HoT FAQ.

The only things anyone would really have left to complain about are the price not being justified, and not including a character slot. Both of which are rather minor in comparison to the accusations of forsaking loyal customers and false advertisement.

Axelwarrior.9084

ANet never guaranteed to you at any point from whenever you bought the game to now that you’d be able to have characters for all classes at once.

They’ve also never stated they are going to give content in the expansion equal to its price tag of the game as compared to the base game. But that logically falls well within the area of reasonable expectation for any consumer looking to purchase the game, hence the E-War raging across the internet about the price tag.

There are certain things that don’t have to be advertised with any product, things like functioning as intended, undamaged, and containing all necessary parts and accessories for use. Having a character slot, for the new character class the expansion is going to give you, is not an unreasonable assumption, and falls in the same area.

So, if I were to assume upon purchasing the core game that I’d have all character slots necessary for all the professions, I would be right complaining to the forums about that not happening?
Or maybe that’s not enough. Maybe I would have assumed that I’d have 40 character slots, because it’s normal to me that I’d have 8 professions of each race. Or maybe even 80 slots, because I also want both genders for each combination.

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

This is bad sales techniques. Far more money and sales would be made via the following solution (prices not included but would be cheaper).
Simple to implement and means far higher sales than there will be at this rate. Happier Player Community too.
a tick box for the core game means emailing a voucher to get the core game at 50% reduction depending on the core game pack you wish for.

and i will keep saying this. HoT with free core game is a new client altogether like factions was and nightfall. yet they expanded the game. sorry but they were also separate continents. HoT is the same continent. I ain’t stupid ANet.

they can’t do that, because then, most of the 400k veterans in the game would probably go with option 1 (since options 2 and 3 are kinda weak), and that means we would pay less than the 45 euros (+10 for that character slot for us with 8 and over geared alts) they dream we’ll be spending now.

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

Anet didn’t include a char slot on basic edition just so they would get more money out of us.

Well I won’t play that game anet, I’m happy to wait until HoT goes on sale further down the line. That way I’ll have HoT AND a char slot for the current price :-)

Win win for me!

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

2 of GW1’s 3 complete games(Factions and Nightfall)both had 2 new professions and ArenaNet set a precedent with those games of giving you two character slots so that you could play those professions if you wanted to. Just an FYI. They have set this precedent before. It’s not a blind assumption. Their one and only x-pac for GW1 did NOT have any new professions and rightfully did not come with any slots. HoT has a new profession and doesn’t come with a slot. This actually goes against how they have handled it in the past.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Axelwarrior.9084

2 of GW1’s 3 complete games(Factions and Nightfall)both had 2 new professions and ArenaNet set a precedent with those games of giving you two character slots so that you could play those professions if you wanted to. Just an FYI. They have set this precedent before. It’s not a blind assumption. Their one and only x-pac for GW1 did NOT have any new professions and rightfully did not come with any slots. HoT has a new profession and doesn’t come with a slot. This actually goes against how they have handled it in the past.

Just because they did something in the past doesn’t guarantee they’ll keep doing it, unless they’ve said so. If they ever said “We’ll offer a character slot every time we introduce a new profession, in all our future games”, then you’re right to be kittened.
Also, I don’t accept facts from a different game as arguments.

Beast Sos.1457

Preorders are always being offered for incomplete games, that’s the point. If you wanna complain, complain about preorders, not the price of the expansion. You’ll be well justified, because preorders are bad in general.

When you pre-order a expansion you know what is coming with it. It’s not a gamble like it is right now. When I said incomplete I meant a lack of content. I should have worded that better, my mistake. Usually you if you pre-order its incomplete when it comes to bug fixes and such not a huge chunk of content missing.

Posted by: Kazooie.4216

Kazooie.4216

When I saw the price and that it was including the base game, I actually thought it was just a mistake and spent a bit looking into it. But the fact that they’re not offering the expansion without the base game, and that if you have the game already *cough*likeprettymucheveryoneonhere*cough* you get nothing for it, is a bunch of bologna. 50$ for an expansion? Nah. Considering I paid 60$ for the core game and now I’ve seen it dropped down to 20$ in places, I think I’ll hold off this time.

mrstealth.6701

they can’t do that, because then, most of the 400k veterans in the game would probably go with option 1 (since options 2 and 3 are kinda weak), and that means we would pay less than the 45 euros (+10 for that character slot for us with 8 and over geared alts) they dream we’ll be spending now.

I don’t see how this changes which editions veterans would buy. We would still get the exact same package we get now, minus the core game which we can’t even use anyway.

If every package is $5-10 less, the options are really no different, they just don’t rip off existing players.

$50/75/100 vs $40/65/90

Anyone planning to buy the Deluxe is still going to choose that package at $65 or $75

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

So, if I were to assume upon purchasing the core game that I’d have all character slots necessary for all the professions, I would be right complaining to the forums about that not happening?
Or maybe that’s not enough. Maybe I would have assumed that I’d have 40 character slots, because it’s normal to me that I’d have 8 professions of each race. Or maybe even 80 slots, because I also want both genders for each combination.

I say ‘reasonable expectations’, you immediately start making statements, which show by their obvious sarcasm that you yourself believe to be not only unreasonable but completely outlandish, and yet you expect that to be an argument in your favor? Leave your outlandish emotionally charged drama to your afternoon soaps where it belongs.

We both have the same definition of reasonable expectations, you just showed that yourself by specifically outlining what you believe is not reasonable, I’m just being logical about it and you, well, aren’t.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Beast Sos.1457

The core game came with WAYYYYYYYYYYY more content and was $60. Why would I complain about not having 8 character slots?

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Far more money and sales would be made via the following solution (prices not included but would be cheaper).

^^

Edit: yeah mixed the quote.

(edited by papry.8096)

Axelwarrior.9084

I say ‘reasonable expectations’, you immediately start making statements you yourself know to be not only unreasonable but completely outlandish, and yet you expect that to be an argument in your favor? Leave your outlandish emotionally charged drama to your afternoon soaps where it belongs.

We both have the same definition of reasonable expectations, you just showed that yourself by specifically outlining what you believe is not reasonable, I’m just being logical about it and you, well, aren’t.

I’m only showing you that “reasonable expectations” is subjective.
If you say that the product should be “containing all necessary parts and accessories for use” and translating that to mean “WELP, THAT MEANS I GET ALL THE CHARACTER SLOTS I NEED FOR FREE.”, why not expect it for the core game? Why not interpret the “all character slots I need” part as “One for each profession, gender and race”?
Is it getting more and more outlandish and ridiculous? But where did it start?

mrstealth.6701

Far more money and sales would be made via the following solution (prices not included but would be cheaper).

^^

That quote was actually from mordepth.7615

Posted by: Isoa.3284

Isoa.3284

I Wont be paying 50 euros for this relatively small looking “expansion” without even a extra character slot for making the new class,i would need to delete one of my existing lvl 80’s or pay even more money.I have played this series ten years and always pre-ordered everything but not this time.

Uncle Nasse-Warrior-Semper Dius

(edited by Isoa.3284)

Beast Sos.1457

I say ‘reasonable expectations’, you immediately start making statements you yourself know to be not only unreasonable but completely outlandish, and yet you expect that to be an argument in your favor? Leave your outlandish emotionally charged drama to your afternoon soaps where it belongs.

If you say that the product should be “containing all necessary parts and accessories for use” and translating that to mean “WELP, THAT MEANS I GET ALL THE CHARACTER SLOTS I NEED FOR FREE.”, why not expect it for the core game? Why not interpret the “all character slots I need” part as “One for each profession, gender and race”?

Like I said above, its not expected from the core game because the core game came with so much content.

Axelwarrior.9084

Like I said above, its not expected from the core game because the core game came with so much content.

You don’t know how much content the expansion has. I also don’t see how the amount of content has anything to do with Conncept’s argument.

Beast Sos.1457

You don’t know how much content the expansion has. I also don’t see how the amount of content has anything to do with Conncept’s argument.

I’m not trying to support Conncept’s argument I just seen that you said why not complain about not getting all character slots for the core game and I gave you the reason. We dont know how much content is coming out with HoT thats why I said if it does have a lot more content than we seen then I most likely will buy it. But as it stands a extra character slot is the least we can get.

Posted by: WSG Delen.9203

WSG Delen.9203

Ok, I have relented and bought HoT both for myself and my pal BUT neither of us received a CD Key for the base game. While this may be of limited use as both of us already own the base game having the CD Key would have allowed us to have second accounts. Given the store clearly states “includes Guild Wars 2 core game” they are in contempt of the trade description act in the UK by not delivering CD Keys for the Core Game.

Posted by: Skeletor.9360

Skeletor.9360

Come now 60 dollars is well worth it. After all people were screaming for new content and not bug fixes etc. You have to pay for what you ask for right? The exapnsion is super good if you WvW and PvP.

Beast Sos.1457

Come now 60 dollars is well worth it. After all people were screaming for new content and not bug fixes etc. You have to pay for what you ask for right? The exapnsion is super good if you WvW and PvP.

It’s been 3 years….OF COURSE people are going to be asking for more content. Just because Anet took ages to release new REAL content doesnt mean we should be charged more. WvW and PvP updates are actually going in without the expansion so you dont need it for those.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Ok, I have relented and bought HoT both for myself and my pal BUT neither of us received a CD Key for the base game. While this may be of limited use as both of us already own the base game having the CD Key would have allowed us to have second accounts. Given the store clearly states “includes Guild Wars 2 core game” they are in contempt of the trade description act in the UK by not delivering CD Keys for the Core Game.

It dose say for new players. And this is what some of the kitten storm is about.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Just because they did something in the past doesn’t guarantee they’ll keep doing it, unless they’ve said so. If they ever said “We’ll offer a character slot every time we introduce a new profession, in all our future games”, then you’re right to be kittened.

You specifically asked, “Why would you make that assumption, then?”

I gave you reasons why that assumption would be made. If ArenaNet has done that before on 2 occasions it would stand to reason they would do it again. It wasn’t just a blind assumption on their part. It was an educated guess that they would do something that they have done in the past a 3rd time.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

mrstealth.6701

This is unfortunately (for us and Anet) the “offer” they decided go to with. Despite the fact that the pre-purchase page states both are included, the core game is only for new accounts. The wording is quite unclear, but does imply both are included. Such offers usually give clear language (in the ‘fine print’ below) to clarify under which circumstances the offer applies or does not apply. This is the very reason that false advertisement laws exist, and why such clarifications are necessary (or even required by law).

Posted by: matrix seishin.5312

matrix seishin.5312

In that case I guess the only way to make them listen is to STOP… but not with the posts. I declare Monday, 22th of June the day we stop playing GW2. When they see the massive drop in player base, they will listen. Spread the word. Even if it is only for 1 day, let’s just stop, all of us. Stop buying in-game stuff, stop their in-game economy, stop their player base, blow the forum, blow the system.

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Gotta love this video pretty much sums up what Anet is trying to do.

Axelwarrior.9084

You specifically asked, “Why would you make that assumption, then?”

I gave you reasons why that assumption would be made. If ArenaNet has done that before on 2 occasions it would stand to reason they would do it again. It wasn’t just a blind assumption on their part. It was an educated guess that they would do something that they have done in the past a 3rd time.

Sorry, I guess I didn’t express myself well.
By “assumption”, I meant taking it for granted and therefore complaining when it doesn’t happen.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

When you pre-order a expansion you know what is coming with it. It’s not a gamble like it is right now. When I said incomplete I meant a lack of content. I should have worded that better, my mistake. Usually you if you pre-order its incomplete when it comes to bug fixes and such not a huge chunk of content missing.

Please quit making stuff up. Most every older mmo I have ever played over the past 15+ years offered preorders on expansions where very few people knew what exactly was in them. Heck, even the beta testers had to agree to non-disclosure agreements until open beta or actual release.

You haven’t played mmos, or computer games for very long if you truly don’t think that preorders are always a gamble. Heck, even expansion or addons to fps games are a gamble, as noone knows everything that might be in them until they release.

Good grief, some of the deliberate and unintentional misinformation that is thrown around in these kinds of threads is just mind boggling.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Mooncaller.9634

Mooncaller.9634

It dose say for new players. And this is what some of the kitten storm is about.

It does? Where?
Please find, quote, and screen shot the unambiguous language where it says “core game for new players” or equivalent.
Because I’ve been through the sales page, through the FAQ, through the Privacy Agreement, and through the Terms of Sale and it’s not anywhere in there about “core game for new players”.

Teon.5168

It’s been 3 years….OF COURSE people are going to be asking for more content. Just because Anet took ages to release new REAL content doesnt mean we should be charged more. WvW and PvP updates are actually going in without the expansion so you dont need it for those.

That is only your opinion. I think there has been plenty of “real” content released since I bought GW2 34 months ago. And I know lots of others who also feel that way.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: farshid.5048

farshid.5048

at least give me 5 character slot that comes as part of the original game when I buy the expansion! Is that too much to ask for 99euro that I paid and later found it would just adds up to my current account?

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

Gotta love this video pretty much sums up what Anet is trying to do.

Arena net deleted the other video: so instead of fixing problems, solution- sweep more problems under the carpet? But there is a problem? There is no more room under the carpet? The waves of truth can not be hidden too long anymore.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Beast Sos.1457

Please quit making stuff up. Most every older mmo I have ever played over the past 15+ years offered preorders on expansions where very few people knew what exactly was in them. Heck, even the beta testers had to agree to non-disclosure agreements until open beta or actual release.

You haven’t played mmos, or computer games for very long if you truly don’t think that preorders are always a gamble. Heck, even expansion or addons to fps games are a gamble, as noone knows everything that might be in them until they release.

Good grief, some of the deliberate and unintentional misinformation that is thrown around in these kinds of threads is just mind boggling.

Obviously youre not going to know every last detail but there isnt such a huge chuck of info missing….I usually know what to expect when I pre-order a game. We only seen 3 things coming into HoT, elite specs, guild halls, and verdant brink. That is not at all worth them announcing pre-purchase, ESPECIALLY at these prices.

Posted by: Mooncaller.9634

Mooncaller.9634

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Unsolicited-Legal-Advice-to-A-Net-NCSoft/first#post5177136
I think it’s cute that this thread got closed. May have been uncomfortable to leave open I guess.

mrstealth.6701

The only information on the pre-purchase page is the follow.

The text on the “buttons” for choosing your game edition

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion(includes Guild Wars 2 core game)

And the text in the pop-up tooltip when you mouse over those choices (emphasis my own)

A game serial code for account creation or upgrade for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion and the award-winning Guild Wars 2 core game.

The first clearly lists both products, implying that all customers get both.

The second is unclear, giving information can imply both inclusion and exclusion of the core game for existing customers. The text is very ambiguous as to whether “a game serial code” is given to encompass both products or for each product. The core is listed as an “and” appended to the end of the statement.

That tooltip should be more like the following

One game serial code for account creation for the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion including the award-winning Guild Wars 2 core game , or the upgrade an existing Guild Wars 2 account for the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorn expansion.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Unsolicited-Legal-Advice-to-A-Net-NCSoft/first#post5177136
I think it’s cute that this thread got closed. May have been uncomfortable to leave open I guess.

I mean, that thread did basically arm players with relevant, and legal information.
Why would any company keep that on the forums.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Beast Sos.1457

That is only your opinion. I think there has been plenty of “real” content released since I bought GW2 34 months ago. And I know lots of others who also feel that way.

Only my opinion? I know more than enough people who feel the same way. LS season 1 was a mess, expect the end which I admit was fun,season 2 has some nice boss mechanics but not much content and some QL updates, some for the better and some not so much….almost forgot to mention SW and DT which were fun maps SW more so, but we are talking about 3 years here so that is quite lackluster.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Link me the official buy page or FAQ where it says this, because by law that is where it should be.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Teon.5168

Obviously youre not going to know every last detail but there isnt such a huge chuck of info missing….I usually know what to expect when I pre-order a game. We only seen 3 things coming into HoT, elite specs, guild halls, and verdant brink. That is not at all worth them announcing pre-purchase, ESPECIALLY at these prices.

Like I said, if you truly believe that, then you haven’t been playing computer games for very long.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Wolfheart.1879

Wolfheart.1879

Would love to know how “Moderator” thinks it derailed. Aside from some frustrated asides it was largely on the tracks.

Thing is now, whether you agree with this being a problem or not, it has become big enough, both in terms of players talking and complaining, and in terms of wide gaming media coverage, that Anet keeping silent on the matter does them no favours and is now seriously damaging. Even the articles that are more on the side of Anet are tearing into them for not responding.

Seriously, Anet, stop ignoring the issue at hand. Come out and justify and defend your position, or say it will be changed. Just…..say something, for your own sakes. This isn’t endearing you to new players who may read the game background on reddit or news sites, or a google search, and it is driving your loyal customers who have supported the game financially and would otherwise continue to do so away. Anet gains nothing at all by keeping schtum now, and stands to lose a lot of reputation and revenue. This isn’t a flash in the pan thing, and it is something a lot of players are talking about, one way or another. You need to engage and speak to players concerns and thoughts if you want them to follow you down the game’s journey.

Divinity’s Reach is home to some top-tier criminal masterminds.
The kind of people who will set an orphanage on fire after locking themselves inside it.

Teon.5168

Only my opinion? I know more than enough people who feel the same way. LS season 1 was a mess, expect the end which I admit was fun,season 2 has some nice boss mechanics but not much content and some QL updates, some for the better and some not so much….almost forgot to mention SW and DT which were fun maps SW more so, but we are talking about 3 years here so that is quite lackluster.

And that is just their opinion, too. Just like the friends that I know who think there has been plenty of new ‘real content’ is just their and my opinion as well.

Please don’t pull some sort of “I am sorely offended” card when someone calls you on stating your opinion and trying to present it as concrete fact.

The phrase “real content” is purely subjective, and the meaning of that phrase varies depending on who you talk to. There is nothing wrong with your opinion……just don’t try to overstate it like it is some sort of well known “fact”, when it is far from that.

Jmo, of course.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Beast Sos.1457

Like I said, if you truly believe that, then you haven’t been playing computer games for very long.

Maybe maybe not. At the end of the day that doesnt change the fact that, for all we know, this expansion is a dairy farmer’s dream.

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Sadly, Arena Nets generous offer toward new players has mutated into this bile filled cesspool of greed, entitlement and miss understanding. Those that cannot understand that this was an act of generosity and not a slap in the face to all existing players are not worthy of any freebies.

Maybe. But you know what they tell : Hell is paved with good intentions.

(edited by Valmir.4590)