Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

670 is enough for a long time

I took an arrow to the knee

8 months and zero optimization

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

Yeah, would really like some open world PvE optimizations, DX10/11 support, and any of the bugs that have been around since beta fixed…doubt we’ll ever get them though. :\

Do you have a SweetFX that Won’t crash the game I can download?

I prefer FXAA PPI. Quick and easy to set up and run. Can use it in many games without installing it in each game or copying configuration files anywhere. All profiles are switchable, copyable, removable within the program.

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject/wiki
Grab the latest FxaaToolSVN117 from the ‘Files’ tab.
Hitting the download button from the main page is the FxaaToolSVN112 as it hasn’t been updated with the latest version available.

Take a peek, see if you like it.
Left vs. Right – Before and After
Misc. Scenes
Waterfall Scenes

May I ask what settings you use for that? As someone else mentioned, SweetFX crashes a lot for me, yet I want a more sharp visual experience for GW2.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

For all you that have mega rigs but are not getting your super performance, would you happen to be running SLI/Crossfire? I’ve always avoided multi-gpu setups because lots of games just have problems with them. I’d rather drop more money on an single expensive card because it is much more reliable. At 1080 resolutions, multi-gpus really aren’t needed.

No. Im aware that sli/crossfire is mostly crap (gets much better now days though) but this is just bad, very poor optimization. Anyone else noticed that each time there’s a new nvidia driver it never improved performance of gw2 (in driver notes)? Nvidia themselves said its on anet’s end…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: jfeez.8209

jfeez.8209

I always enjoy these reading these threads… DX11 support is needed, but the renderer needs optimization, in fact if it was possible i would have anet work on a deferred renderer and get some lovely dynamic lighting/image based lighting. That would make a massive difference to the visuals, but would be more expensive, however doing this would mean alot of new tech would be added which would counter the performance hit of a deferred renderer, so for people who couldnt run full dynamic the frame increase would be pretty big (cryengine runs fully dynamic lighting which is why most games look super sexy in it). My desktop pc runs gw2 at about 50-60 fps in eyefinity from 3 1080 screens with bevel offset (running a 6970) so the game is not that poorly optimized.

Posted by: ThePaladin.2140

ThePaladin.2140

@code yeah system does indeed restart or at times start artifacting. I guess I’ll need to replace my cards with something that has a little more umpf thats compatible with gw2. Still Anet should really sit down with amd and nvidia.

Posted by: raiden.9024

raiden.9024

The game’s been in dev for 5 years (can’t remember if that’s correct) and technology has advanced a lot during that time frame, I would gamble on that they’ve reached or are soon reaching their technological limits with the engine and not really a great deal they can do.

So they make it work for GW3 ! as that’s the reason they scraped more xpacs for GW1 engine limited.

as for ppl giving off to ppl who quote metro 2033 that its not a MMO while its not it is used to benchmark PC’s

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Yeah, would really like some open world PvE optimizations, DX10/11 support, and any of the bugs that have been around since beta fixed…doubt we’ll ever get them though. :\

Do you have a SweetFX that Won’t crash the game I can download?

I prefer FXAA PPI. Quick and easy to set up and run. Can use it in many games without installing it in each game or copying configuration files anywhere. All profiles are switchable, copyable, removable within the program.

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject/wiki
Grab the latest FxaaToolSVN117 from the ‘Files’ tab.
Hitting the download button from the main page is the FxaaToolSVN112 as it hasn’t been updated with the latest version available.

Take a peek, see if you like it.
Left vs. Right – Before and After
Misc. Scenes
Waterfall Scenes

May I ask what settings you use for that? As someone else mentioned, SweetFX crashes a lot for me, yet I want a more sharp visual experience for GW2.

Here is my “GW2.profile” configuration file.
MediaFire DL
Save it someplace and then inside the program click on ‘Import’ and select it, then select where GW2 is installed. It will add the files and the ‘.profile’ file to your ‘Profiles’ folder inside where you installed the program.

If you don’t want to mess with importing the settings then here are some screens of what I am currently using, including the effect chain. As you can see in the ‘Game’ tab, I run Pre-Sharpen enabled as well as Post Sharpen. Also, on the EffectChain tab, since I have SepiaPass disabled, the Shader lines where I have SepiaPass selected do not get run, and yes, doubling the BloomPass does run it twice, to make it more intense. The order of the effects makes a major difference on the end results.

The old FXAAPPI would allow for making changes on the fly while in game, now changes you make take effect when you ‘save’ them and you then reload an area…like go back and forth through a portal, or hit another waypoint in the main town (so it’s free travel)..whatever gives a loading screen.

If you run into some issues or want some assistance or suggestions for some settings or how to get your game to look a certain way then I’d be glad to respond to any PM’s about it.

Attachments:

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

A “Next Gen” MMO with no DX11 or 64bit client =/= Next Gen

But then again GW2 has been demoted to the “Dime a Dozen MMO” category anyways now.

Next wave of MMO’s with all the new features and DX11 support out the box will be here soon….lets see if any of those stick.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

But then again GW2 has been demoted to the “Dime a Dozen MMO” category anyways now.

Next wave of MMO’s with all the new features and DX11 support out the box will be here soon….lets see if any of those stick.

it’s harder to use different lighting on DX11, so I highly doubt that they will go with that. I wish them to though.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

If it goes to DX11, I’ll probably have to stop playing rather than just be taking a break. Frankly, I can’t afford a new computer right now and that’s what it’d take for me to get something in motion to be able to run DX11.

Mostly because I’d have to buy a newer version of Windows, which would then require more upgrades (which I can’t do) . . .

I would like to choose to stop playing GW2, thank you, rather than be forced to quit due to tech specs.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

If it goes to DX11, I’ll probably have to stop playing rather than just be taking a break. Frankly, I can’t afford a new computer right now and that’s what it’d take for me to get something in motion to be able to run DX11.

Mostly because I’d have to buy a newer version of Windows, which would then require more upgrades (which I can’t do) . . .

I would like to choose to stop playing GW2, thank you, rather than be forced to quit due to tech specs.

well if they put in DX11 support, normally their leave support for Dx10 and Dx9 in. Most games today have you chose which Dx do you want to use

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

Hoping to keep this topic up even one dev would eventually show up here.
Not so high hopes thought ;D

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I’m still debating on either grabbing a 660ti, or simply buying a new comp. There’s really not much else I can upgrade in mine,

No need to get a completely new rig, your core components are totally adequate. Though a SSD drive to install the OS on and run your main game from is basically mandatory these days.

A new Gfx card is really your best bet, maybe the wifey can get your old one. It´s pretty power efficient, so should run in older computers.

I´d get the new 650ti Boost over the 660ti . Adequate performance but dramatically higher power efficiency.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

We need them to optimize GW2 for WINE, at least.

They had stated there are no plans for a LINUX distribution. So at least let us run it on WINE, pretty please?

HawkMeister.4758

We need them to optimize GW2 for WINE, at least

Uhm, sorry but no.
They are already supporting an Apple client, that has a marginal userbase below their worldwide WinXP 32bit user clientèle.
Adding another marginal userbase to support is not exactly a good idea when their core client is crap.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Even though we haven’t posted here, this thread has been already forwarded to the team with your concerns, so rest assured they are aware of all this.
In any case, we will ask them if they can drop a couple of lines here.

Thanks for your understanding.

HawkMeister.4758

<3
:)

And if the Devs are actually reading this, a short info on the situation with the out-of -house Umbra Occlusion Culling module would be very appreciated.

Are those Icelanders still of the opinion their code is working perfectly but everybody elses is crap, or do they actually help in the troubleshooting?

EditEdit: Please take a look at your FPS Limiter, something just isn´t right there.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Lowering resolution helps too.

lol you’re suggesting to lower rez (from only 1080p) in 2013 o.O . I’m not playing on a Dell pc from bestbuy lol lowering rez should NEVER be an option.

Most people still don’t even have a high definition monitor with their PC’s, you do realize this? If your computer can’t handle the resolution, I would say it IS an option :P

If you don’t have a monitor from 2006 (that’s when the vast majority of monitors switched over to being able to support 1080p which, in the modern monitor world, is now an outdated resolution), then you really can’t complain. Having a monitor that is more than 7 years old is pushing the envelope, even from an extremely frugal person’s standpoint.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

lol you’re suggesting to lower rez (from only 1080p) in 2013 o.O . I’m not playing on a Dell pc from bestbuy lol lowering rez should NEVER be an option.

Most people still don’t even have a high definition monitor with their PC’s, you do realize this? If your computer can’t handle the resolution, I would say it IS an option :P

If you don’t have a monitor from 2006 (that’s when the vast majority of monitors switched over to being able to support 1080p which, in the modern monitor world, is now an outdated resolution), then you really can’t complain. Having a monitor that is more than 7 years old is pushing the envelope, even from an extremely frugal person’s standpoint.

I had a CRT until a year ago, when my family had a flatscreen which was getting tossed out at work after system upgrades. Nothing wrong with it, they were just getting new monitors. And it’s still not HD capable, it still uses VGA.

Why don’t I upgrade? I shall open my wallet and you can see moths fly out. $20 for gems once in six months I can do. $200 once every four months? No.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I’m still debating on either grabbing a 660ti, or simply buying a new comp. There’s really not much else I can upgrade in mine,

No need to get a completely new rig, your core components are totally adequate. Though a SSD drive to install the OS on and run your main game from is basically mandatory these days.

A new Gfx card is really your best bet, maybe the wifey can get your old one. It´s pretty power efficient, so should run in older computers.

I´d get the new 650ti Boost over the 660ti . Adequate performance but dramatically higher power efficiency.

I would like to have an SSD, but haven’t gotten one or done the research on moving my OS to to SSD. Actually I think my current HDD is on the lower spectrum of my experience rating. I’ll check out the 650ti, just seemed silly to take 1 step up, but I see your point. Sadly that computer can’t use this card, or the 450. She definitely needs an entirely new computer :P

I’ll have to compare GW2 to the newer MMO’s and see how much different the newer generation is with optimization.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

We need them to optimize GW2 for WINE, at least

Uhm, sorry but no.
They are already supporting an Apple client, that has a marginal userbase below their worldwide WinXP 32bit user clientèle.
Adding another marginal userbase to support is not exactly a good idea when their core client is crap.

Uhm. Yes. There are tons of people going out of their way with workarounds to use GW2 on Linux. Check the Tech Support forums, and Youtube.

I’m also pretty sure the devs mentioned somewhere they WILL optimize it for WINE, since a Linux release is not planned.

GW1 is famously one of the most stable WINE games on Linux ever. Why not continue the trend with GW2?

Posted by: Kiran.2705

Kiran.2705

WvW fights don’t just butcher graphic performance, they also murder the server. Skill lag makes the fight extremely painful to participate in. Only the 1 skill works. You can not cast or heal, and if you go down you’re staying that way. A massive FPS and server streamline fix is in order. I may quit WvW altogether until they find a way to make it more enjoyable.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Hi everyone,

Even though we haven’t posted here, this thread has been already forwarded to the team with your concerns, so rest assured they are aware of all this.
In any case, we will ask them if they can drop a couple of lines here.

Thanks for your understanding.

I just hope the response wont be “We are continuously working on optimization…” or similar since we have been hearing that for over 10 months and besides severe workaround such as those implemented in WvW there have been zero performance improvements as far as CPU optimization is concerned. Not only does the game not scale well over multiple cores (hampering AMD cpus even more) but its also suffers from very bad polygon occlusion.
To see this in action open your settings to see your frames and go to any corner in any map that has a large simple structure opposed to that corner such as a hill or a big wall that covers your entire view. Look towards the hill (centre) then towards the corner.
Even though you ll see less actual polygons drawn towards the centre (facing the hill) your framerate will be much lower.
A perfect example of this currently is just after exiting the shortcut wurm in SAB or at the king frog area.

Yes MMOs are more CPU intensive when there are many characters running around casting spells but even so GW2s base engine is just terrible.

Also even though it has been widely requested we still have no option of tuning down particle effects that would help in performance and gameplay as with all the effects going off you often can not tell a mobs attacks or where they are facing. Fire and hit effects are particularly problematic in this regard.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I just hope the response wont be “We are continuously working on optimization…” or similar

Question!

What if they actually are continuously working on optimization (with its own team, like everything else)? And they just haven’t found a solution which works for a majority of the players (remember, they do have access to what settings you’re using)?

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

This is not a compatibility problem. The game works on all dx9 cards and CPUs that meet the base requirements. It is an optimization problem.

They definitely are continuously working on it. It is a very general term encompassing many things in game development. Even client performance optimization addresses many areas from map design to something like using different compiler parameters.

However the problem is there have been no real results in CPU usage optimization. Lots of supposed work but no actual results and the same phrase over and over. Nope, not doing it for me.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This is not a compatibility problem. The game works on all dx9 cards and CPUs that meet the base requirements. It is an optimization problem.

I’m not entirely sure it’s a mutually exclusive issue, but then again . . . I don’t work on video drivers or graphic specifications. I don’t even program. I am an end-user, with no experience in mucking around in anything other than making sure hardware doesn’t break down and software is installed properly.

The question was more: “If that’s what they’re doing, and they haven’t got a solution yet, then what are they supposed to tell you?” which you kind of sidestepped to address whether or not it was a compatibility issue.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

MMo have to have less graphics capability than single player game. Developers of MMO’s need to cut corners to make the game run smoothly on their servers.

It would require a game new engine and faster computers to make a MMO look like crysis 3.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

DirectX 11 support =/= Game only playing on DirectX 11 . Most Dx11 games also have a Dx9 mode .

Posted by: tolkien.6317

tolkien.6317

MMo have to have less graphics capability than single player game. Developers of MMO’s need to cut corners to make the game run smoothly on their servers.

It would require a game new engine and faster computers to make a MMO look like crysis 3.

The server tech side has nothing to do with client graphics performance. The two are unrelated. The only issue is the size of MMO worlds and the potential number of characters on screen at a time. A single player game can guarantee a limit to what is drawn onscreen at any one time. An MMO can’t really, except through other means – some of which are reducing the number of pollies in the world geometry and character models, and limiting the number and complexity of effects etc. That means lower detail generally for the most part.

(edited by tolkien.6317)

Angelus.1042

I just want DX11 for the optimization aspect since it handles better then DX9 does I dont care if I get pretty effects…also a 64 bit client.

Also for people who dont know most games have the choice of DX9 and DX11 so you can still run DX9 if you want or your system dont support 11.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I started noticing the performance of the client/server going downhill from the dreaded Nov 15th weekend. The karka event was the start of everything on a downward slide for me, it’s like the game reduced it’s performance capabilities by half from just that one event, and never really regained the same flare it had before.

I don’t want to address this from a tech perspective, I’m just giving my own observations as to what happened and when it started. From what I could see, I believe the culling really started taking a massive hit on the performance of the game, and again, only from what I’ve seen, the patches that we’ve had for this have worked around the issue rather than attacking it.

So yes, I fully believe some big-time optimisation is in order for the game, and I think it’s long overdue. My system specs should be well above what the game can dish out, but yet I’m struggling to get 15FPS during a typical dragon fight. I also have an SSD on the way which should help.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

My concern is that the meta game is designed around multiplayer engagements yet Anet have admitted that events like the karka event in Nov far exceeded the game engine’s capacity. I fear that optimizations may be a lot more complex than just a few tweaks and this seems to be born out by the slow progress so far. I wouldn’t hold the breath for quick improvements.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

For all you that have mega rigs but are not getting your super performance, would you happen to be running SLI/Crossfire? I’ve always avoided multi-gpu setups because lots of games just have problems with them. I’d rather drop more money on an single expensive card because it is much more reliable. At 1080 resolutions, multi-gpus really aren’t needed.

No. Im aware that sli/crossfire is mostly crap (gets much better now days though) but this is just bad, very poor optimization. Anyone else noticed that each time there’s a new nvidia driver it never improved performance of gw2 (in driver notes)? Nvidia themselves said its on anet’s end…

Sli is Not crap in Anyway,neither is crossfire.You know this if you ever actually Had an sli or crossfire system.Ive had my very first Multi Gpu system,with 2 “Voodoo 2” cards back in 99´.Since 2005 ive Always had SLI starting with the 8600gts.Back then..there were some problems with sli,like flickering shadows bad gpu optimizations,bad support for alot of games.But saying that sli or crossfire these days are crap,is an ignorant statement.SLI has always doubled my fps in most occasions,an will for everyone else with the proper hardware set up.If i start up Gw2 now with using 1 card,my fps is about 35 – 45% Lower then when using SLI.

As for the rest,we can definetely use a 64bit client,basic DX11 support for better hardware optimizations ( not talking about tesselation etc,since that wont happen anyway ).And i honestly think we could use a slider for the particle effects showing on screen,it creates a huge lagstorm for alot of people with low/mid end hardware,eventhough theyre already playing on the lowest settings possible.They should be possible to control the particle effects to some extent.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Angelus.1042

IM still suprised there is no particle effects slider….in GW2

Hell an 8 year “Old” game like wow has more options on the graphics settings…even to reduce spell effects… AND they added a DX11 and 64bit client quite a while back…which did make a difference..especially in the new content where they have increased graphics requirements….DX9 runs aroun 40 fps and using DX11 mode I get constant 60FPS (except for in the Sha of anger fight…if people know what Im talking about that can be brutal on any computer)…and yes they finally got DX11 working in WoW without it crashing all the time lol…but at least its there and even on an “old” game like that it made a difference along with the 64bit client.

…not here to instigate a WoW vs GW2 war Im just using it as an example….since WoW and GW2 are the 2 main MMO’s I play.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

IM still suprised there is no particle effects slider….in GW2

I’ll take a toggle for visual effects, like old venerable EverQuest. I always ran with it off on that game too.

HawkMeister.4758

I’m also pretty sure the devs mentioned somewhere they WILL optimize it for WINE, since a Linux release is not planned.

GW1 is famously one of the most stable WINE games on Linux ever. Why not continue the trend with GW2?

Ok, all for it then, if it means that the standard client´s code gets streamlined and stops behaving so erratically.
Like for example on the character menu full 60 FPS in windowed mode but breaks in to 39 when switched to fullscreen.

AND sometimes it happens like that, other times it doesn´t!
Meaning something is really wrong with (probably)the hardware detection, or ANet has found a way to write code dependent on sunspots and/or astrological alignments.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Please take a look at your FPS Limiter, something just isn´t right there.

It’s been broken for…ever, despite having been reported countless times. Just shows how much work is done on the engine.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

HawkMeister.4758

Yeah, just tried the Moto Dungeon again and I´m suddenly getting FPS in the tens!
Completely ridiculous.
Definitely didn´t get that low FPS when it was introduced. Oh well.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Seems like they’re sometimes having problems with items that stack (bandit cave bombs anyone?) or just don’t care about polycounts. See here for example:
http://i.imgur.com/n22xNal.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iCgwAfw.jpg
That are rare occasions though (never checked if this was fixed, I submitted it as a bug).
I’m more concerned with the high CPU usage, both client- and serverside which mainly hits you in WvW and large world events.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

I think the issue with the optimization is a lot of code is processed at the CPU level, since GW2’s network packets = an update in the game-world and a lot of those are connected to other variables.

This goes to show that either:
a.) data is loaded as packets arrive (meaning data is processed and loaded to RAM from disk per new information update)
b.) data has too many dependencies such that every update increases CPU use by a near exponential rate because it updates other components as well

The GPU doesn’t get stressed that much since final data is rendered there.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I doubt it’s going to get much more optimized. It’s built off of an old engine in DX9. I’m actually amazed it runs as well as it does sometimes.

I doubt it too. I mean just look how long it took for them to realize that PVE and PVP should have been separate from the very beginning with the problems it causes people on either side when trying to balance.

I doubt this will be a priority until an expansion.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Caveth.3268

Caveth.3268

I know this thread is old – but it’s still very relevant. Is there any news of any optimizations for Guild Wars 2 coming any time soon?

I’ve been searching all over for information on optimizations and things like direct x 11 support for gw2, but I can’t find anything.

HawkMeister.4758

Because there isn´t and never will be.
The Devs are hard at work on Open World culling, so they told us ages ago.

I just gave up and got Intel hardware, now I actually can enjoy LA and WvW.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Caveth.3268

Caveth.3268

Because there isn´t and never will be.
The Devs are hard at work on Open World culling, so they told us ages ago.

I just gave up and got Intel hardware, now I actually can enjoy LA and WvW.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if arenanet gave up on optimizations… they haven’t fixed a lot of bugs in the game either.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Almost a year later and we still see reflections taking a massive hit on performance even with high end hardware.
I have lost all hope for any more performance optimizations.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

For all the FPS hungry people out there, I would suggest going out and mowing a few lawns on weekends, save up your money and buy a decent graphics card—Nvidia GTX580 or higher.

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

For all the FPS hungry people out there, I would suggest going out and mowing a few lawns on weekends, save up your money and buy a decent graphics card—Nvidia GTX580 or higher.

That’s not the issue. Did you even read the thread ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Years ago a.net claimed GW2 would run on contemporary mid-specc laptops. They actually made true on that promise, it runs just fine on my company laptop without dedicated videocard.

A “next gen” MMO can never be popular, because the masses can’t play it. 64 bit and directX 11 actually hamper the game more than it helps. As it stands, the graphics are already superb. I don’t want “next gen”. Good enough more than suffices.

I travel on a weekly basis, and about 50% of my play time is on my company laptop (other half on my i7 rig). If “improvements” mean it won’t run on my company laptop anymore, I’ll pass. Rather have none.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

No lol i can handle games like metro 2033 (without DoF) or TW2 (without ubersampling) maxed out, gw2 shouldn’t even be a question. The large majority of people using their pc’s to game are on 1080p screens.

metro 2033 is an old game. My laptop can handle it O_o. Can you handle high performance games that came out this year? Lara Croft? Crysis 3? Because Guild Wars 2 has highly improved graphics and is an MMO which in itself is very demanding. It also came out in 2012, not in 2010 (which is when metro came out). Then compare it to other MMOs that came out on the same year – how well can you run, for example, Terra?
edit: what game is TW2? I googled it, I don’t have it on my steam and have no idea what it is. I’m curious.

Are you serious? Metro 2033 is in the top three most demanding games out now, yes, 2013… Tomb Raider all maxed without stupid stressfx runs at 50fps+ (this is far from a demanding game lol this is a console port…), crysis 3 maxed (shaders/shadows on high instead of Ultra tho) ran at 43-60 fps. TW2 is The Witcher 2, best looking third person game available in 2013 even though is a 2010 game (looks a gen ahead of crappy tomb raider 2013). I’m playing with a gtx570@ core 920 and i5 2500k@4.3… i shouldn’t be playing gw2 at ~15fps on the lowest possible settings in wvw.

it must be one of those glitches I was talking about then. When PC is far beyond the requirements, but for some reason game runs slower than it would on a calculator. I don’t really think that such hardware miss-matches will be fixed though.

There’s no such things. It could happen when your drivers are outdated, that’s it. Mine aren’t and the reason why gw2 runs so poorly is because its almost 100% cpu dependent, which is extremely stupid and the reason why the game runs at same fps (in zergs) no matter what settings your game is at. This is what needs to be addressed and in 8 months we got absolutely nothing, nothing to the point of not even mentioning later this year optimization.

There are no such things as specific hardware to hardware and hardware to software issues? Right, guess it is time to stop following this topic here.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The game needs it badly but instead we get new ridiculously priced items (with juicy RNG) in gem store. Look at Skyrim for example, not only the game looks significantly better (modded of course) but in same amount of time they’ve achieved ~double frame rate. Time to optimize gw2, this is not a looker like Crysis 3 and should run waaay better than it is.

It’s easy to achieve double frame rate when you released your game with most compiler optimizations disabled.