A client for OS X

A client for OS X

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Graig.1739

Graig.1739

hey i just wanted to say thanks for a mac client. downloading this now.

i have the retina macbook pro too. it’s designed to get that hot under heavy performance. theres not much you can do about the temperature, that’s just how warm it’s going to get while playing games.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Leviathan.5397

Leviathan.5397

ROFL, I can’t imagine how terrible the performance on Mac OS X will be, compared to the PC version, which is an unoptimized mess.

Good luck playing at 15 frames per second.

I run GW2 on my two year old MBP bootcamped. I run it at high (not ultra) settings and get a smooth 50-60 fps. My wife runs it on my new retina display MBP bootcamped on ultra settings and gets 60+ fps. By the way, the retina display makes the game look AMAZING.

u mad bro? lol

A client for OS X

Posted by: hoops.4208

hoops.4208

@Mystic, this is basically from your computer working hard to run the game.. Not much you can do except make sure you’re using it on a hard surface.

butts

A client for OS X

Posted by: DeathByCactus.3954

DeathByCactus.3954

Mystik, upgrade/OC your 650m. You won’t have a problem then.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Bazz.2874

Bazz.2874

Where I have no argument against an OS X client, I just wanted to state that OS X is not the future… Android is. That is all =D

Agree, but right now, and for a year or so, OS X is SO far ahead of Windows in sheer reliability and usability that this is a great thing for ArenaNet to do.

If I could I’d go to linux as well, but it’s just too much hassle right now. If webOS evolves to the point that OS X is now (or 10.7 at least) it’ll be a major player.

I recently upgraded my iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy SIII and even though it’s still running ICS it’s very much improved on iOS. Hopefully this is an indication that webOS will be very good indeed.

A client for OS X

DeathByCactus.3954

ROFL, I can’t imagine how terrible the performance on Mac OS X will be, compared to the PC version, which is an unoptimized mess.

I run GW2 on my two year old MBP bootcamped. I run it at high (not ultra) settings and get a smooth 50-60 fps. My wife runs it on my new retina display MBP bootcamped on ultra settings and gets 60+ fps. By the way, the retina display makes the game look AMAZING.

u mad bro? lol

I am over 60fps maxed out on a 54" Plasma. No. The two year old MBP’s should still be running the 650m. Not a bad card, just not great for any game graphically intense. Which GW2 is not.

Retina is nice, if you are a photoeditor. If not, it’s pretty much a waste.

(edited by DeathByCactus.3954)

A client for OS X

Posted by: Thadren Calder.1397

Thadren Calder.1397

WOOT now i can play more while at work

A client for OS X

Posted by: MindTooth.1829

MindTooth.1829

Nice to see the client available for the Mac-platform. However, still some bugs to iron out

A client for OS X

Posted by: Philio.8956

Philio.8956

I’ve had a MBP retina for a while and have to say that games run sweet on Windows via boot camp (GW2 no exception, looks fantastic and runs fantastic), sure it literally burns your fingers off during play but it’s ok for a short gaming session. Generally I’ve found Windows to be a faster and smoother than OS X (both Lion and M. Lion) both in desktop and gaming and don’t really see the merit of native OS X clients when Windows outperforms in every way in the games department. This is certainly the case for all the Blizzard games excluding World of Borecraft which I don’t play so haven’t tried.

A client for OS X

Leviathan.5397

u mad bro? lol

I am over 60fps maxed out on a 54" Plasma. No. The two year old MBP’s should still be running the 650m. Not a bad card, just not great for any game graphically intense. Which GW2 is not.

I don’t find it to be a waste. I find it to be gorgeous. And when I plug my MBP into my 60" LED-LCD tv it looks gorgeous there too. But the kids are usually playing the Xbox while I’m playing GW2 so I’m okay with playing on my 15" of retina display.

It’s not like I’m trying to compensate for anything…. haha

A client for OS X

DeathByCactus.3954

u mad bro? lol

I don’t find it to be a waste. I find it to be gorgeous. And when I plug my MBP into my 60" LED-LCD tv it looks gorgeous there too. But the kids are usually playing the Xbox while I’m playing GW2 so I’m okay with playing on my 15" of retina display.

No, I don’t think you are. I just don’t see the point of playing on a super hi-res screen with sub-par equipment is all. At a ridiculous price point. Dunno, I have been trying to tell the GF the same thing. She just wants the Apple, not a fast computer.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Vargaz.2487

Vargaz.2487

Oh man Oh man Oh man, cant wait to put this badboy up on my Imac! : )

A client for OS X

Posted by: Tom.3981

Tom.3981

This is awesome. However I cannot type the character @ in the login field (even with a copy/paste or the character viewer app). So unfortunately I cannot login.

I tried my Id as well (Tom…) but the system expects an e-mail address.

A client for OS X

Leviathan.5397

u mad bro? lol

No, I don’t think you are. I just don’t see the point of playing on a super hi-res screen with sub-par equipment is all. At a ridiculous price point. Dunno, I have been trying to tell the GF the same thing. She just wants the Apple, not a fast computer.

Meh, I’m just trying to break your balls, man.

I guess we can only go on our own experience and personal judgements on what is “sub-par” or “ridiculous” for a price point. I’ve been a software developer for 10 years. I know computers and operating systems. I’ve been a Windows developer for most of my career and lately (last two years) used Mac exclusively. In my own experience the higher price of Apple’s computers is worth it.

For me it’s like comparing a luxury car to a more moderately priced one. Now I don’t care about cars. I’m happy driving around in a regular ol’ Mazda. I have other friends who swear by their Lexus or BMW. For me I feel like they are paying a “ridiculous price point”. So, I actually understand where you are coming from.

I wouldn’t call myself an expert necessarily, but I do know more than the average bear about computers and software. It’s not only my personal opinion, but also my professional one, that Apple makes a better OS. Plus the fact they control the hardware and software of their products makes for a better product.

But all of that is tooooo reasonable and we should just go back to flaming each other and maybe making kitten jokes or something. That’s way more entertaining!

P.S. And also don’t forget! We all just love playing GW2, so why be all Ewww MAC or Ewwww PC! Let’s just all be happy more people can play a great game.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Nutshel.7264

Nutshel.7264

I don’t know how cinder works, but I know that OS X games runs on OpenGL, does that mean GW2 has OpenGL port? If so will you please implement it in windows version as well(mostly to enable running it decently on other platforms via wineHQ)

A client for OS X

Posted by: crispin.8705

crispin.8705

Running it currently in win7 64 bootcamp on a mac pro maxed out and getting 70fps. But… if all my characters will be there i am going to try this and report back!

A client for OS X

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Just wanted to say thanks for the port. Think I’ll buy some gems as a thank you.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Berenlut.1452

Berenlut.1452

I think is a great step in closing the gap between PC and Mac gaming a little. Now the dream would be, to have PC, Mac and Linux players all playing at the same time. A great world.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Mac is horrible for gaming, imo this is a step backwards. To each his own, though.

I would like if people just built their own PC for 700 bucks that will last them years of great gaming instead of paying for an overpriced Mac with mediocre performance.

And hell, if you forked out the 1-2 grand that those macbook pro’s cost you could get an uber PC that runs anything in ultra with sli and everything but people just love throwing money at Apple.. what a waste. :/

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

A client for OS X

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Now if the overenthusiastic Mac-haters could just keep their opinions to themselves, we’d all be even happier

Seriously people, no one is forcing you to pay for or play on a Mac, so just let us Mac-Users be happy that we don’t have to keep switching to Windows when we want to play.

I love you Anet for providing me with that chance Will even upgrade to lion now…

Polka will never die

A client for OS X

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

One of the happiest days and announcements of my life. Not only has GW2 finally come out, but now I can use it on my 5800$ mac without booting into bootcamp. You guys really have thought of everything. Using a

Specs:
17inch early 2011 macbook pro
2.3 GHZ intel core i7
8 GB of Memory 1333 MHZ DDR3
(Solid State Drive aka flash memory)
AMD radeon 6750

Thanks Anet.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

A client for OS X

Rukia.4802

One of the happiest days and announcements of my life. Not only has GW2 finally come out, but now I can use it on my 5800$ mac without booting into bootcamp. You guys really have thought of everything. Using a

Specs:
2.3 GHZ intel core i7
AMD radeon 6750

Thanks Anet.

I hope that price is a joke….

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

A client for OS X

Posted by: Mostly Harmless.4308

Mostly Harmless.4308

Just another quick call out to say thanks to ArenaNet – I really appreciate the effort!

As for the trolls, please, go enjoy your cheap, awesome PCs; we’ll enjoy our overpriced, mediocre Macs; and everyone will be happy :-)

A client for OS X

lilz shorty.1879

Specs:
2.3 GHZ intel core i7
AMD radeon 6750

Thanks Anet.

no joke lol all my 17inch macs have cost that much. My mom just hits the highest spec for each part at the time. Whichever is the higher number she clicks lol.

“Best Guardian NA”

A client for OS X

Posted by: Piia.7659

Piia.7659

We shouldn’t be encouraging Mac users to game… They run mobile processors. So I found it laughable when ANET said that requirements are not finalized. Their computers are pretty much all the same.
With that said, I guess it doesn’t matter too much if I buy the mbp for my GF, regardless of how much money I am throwing away for an OP aluminum kiddie computer :/.

Newsflash: All Intel based notebooks run mobile processors and GPUs. This is not limited to Macs (including the iMac family), but also Alienware & ASUS (who produce some of the finest gaming laptop rigs in the biz). Mobility hardware has made leaps and bounds of progress in recent years in terms of capability. Power supply is probably the biggest issue as games continue to push hardware to extremes, and most laptops don’t have hundreds of Watts powering their systems as opposed to tower systems.

Still, you can’t ignore the fact that people are getting tired of having huge rigs take up entire rooms of their homes. Mobility PCs are very much in demand… the choice is up to the consumer as to which brand they buy, and Macs are on the rise largely because of their seamless integration with devices (Tablets, Phones, etc.). This is the direction that technology is going, and devices are becoming a big part of the complete technology picture. Many games integrate device based tools to complete the user experience.

Time to get out of the dark ages, friend. The 90’s are way over.

A client for OS X

Rukia.4802

Specs:
2.3 GHZ intel core i7
AMD radeon 6750

Thanks Anet.

no joke lol all my 17inch macs have cost that much. My mom just hits the highest spec for each part at the time. Whichever is the higher number she clicks lol.

That is insane man. The PC I could build with that money… lmao, /drool

A client for OS X

lilz shorty.1879

Is there a way to override the function keys so I can use them? Same with the zooming in and out function. Can’t seem to use that on my mouse either.

“Best Guardian NA”

A client for OS X

Posted by: SpookyElectric.1507

SpookyElectric.1507

I just got the game running in WineSkin today, and literally 5 minutes later I see this announcement.

So you’re welcome, everyone.

A client for OS X

lilz shorty.1879

Specs:
2.3 GHZ intel core i7
AMD radeon 6750

Thanks Anet.

That is insane man. The PC I could build with that money… lmao, /drool

Lol funny thing is my mom built a XPS dell one for nearly the same price but I didn’t use it and my sister broke it -_-. I so would’ve used it just for this game though lol

“Best Guardian NA”

A client for OS X

lilz shorty.1879

Is there a way to override the function keys so I can use them? Same with the zooming in and out function. Can’t seem to use that on my mouse either.

actually i only got the function keys to work. What about the zooming funciton?

“Best Guardian NA”

(edited by lilz shorty.1879)

A client for OS X

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

The function keys can be avoided by moving while using them – e.g. if you are strafing using E and triggering F1 at the same time. Or you could remap them Haven’t quite found a decent spot my small hands can reach, so I’m still getting used to either clicking them or moving while activating my lovely death shroud ^^°

Polka will never die

A client for OS X

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

Downloading now. Been running bootcamped via Win 7 with 16gb RAM and HD4000 gpu.. only assuming it will be the same or better based on the experiences noted in previous posts from people playing on pre-2012 machines.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Naminator.9316

Naminator.9316

While I’m happy that more people will be able to play this game, I’m not exactly sure that there is a big enough audience on the macs to bother with such a huge investment of time.

Maybe you guys should work on implementing some proper SLi support? Or maybe some Dx11 support?

OR BOTH?

The performance level of GW2 as it is right now is pretty bad. Implementing Dx11 could fix a lot in terms of performance. We don’t need to have tessellation or any of that other stuff, just the optimizations that Dx11 hardware provides.

When WoW implemented Dx11 my frame rate jumped 35%-50%, we need that same think for GW2, especially since pretty much ALL new laptops come with some kind of Dx11 GPU.

Come on ANET! You’ll be the next Warhammer Online if you fail to optimize the game.

A client for OS X

Posted by: pmiles.3489

pmiles.3489

A client for OS X

Posted by: CptBadger.5918

CptBadger.5918

Well, that’s cause Macs are pretty much PCs these days. EFI is the only difference. So if you run it via Bootcamp, you get the PC performance.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Arena Net: Since this is obviously based upon Wine technology, I would have preferred to see you spend your efforts on helping Codeweavers with their Crossover software. Why re-invent the wheel?

A client for OS X

Posted by: Piia.7659

Piia.7659

Arena Net: Since this is obviously based upon Wine technology, I would have preferred to see you spend your efforts on helping Codeweavers with their Crossover software. Why re-invent the wheel?

I tried playing this game via Wineskin, and I can tell you that this install-based client sure doesn’t perform as badly as that did. While I didn’t work on this project, it appears to be a genuine game client.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Kanonier.2094

Kanonier.2094

I have an older White Macbook Unibody – the last White Mac made with a 2.26 Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of memory, and an Nvidia 9400m and the client worked. A little laggy, but it worked. I honestly think its just because the client is in Beta because the game would run great, then slow back down and repeat this process. I fought a Basilisk and it worked fine in combat. My computer got as hot as it would if i were to play any other game.

Hopefully the devs see this.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Parczival.1735

Parczival.1735

I’ve been playing since the 3-day head start on a mid-2011 iMac, 27", 2.7 GHz Intel i5, 4GB RAM Bootcamp, Windows 7.

I noticed how hot the computer gets. Here are some general stats:

HD: Macintosh HD: 117 F
CPU A: 110 F
GPU Diode 131 F
GPU Heatsink 130 F
Ambient 72 F
Memory Controller 122 F
Optical Drive 112 F

Some days it is higher than others. Sometimes the back of the computer is hot to the touch, and I have to take my hand off.

I play 1.5 – 2 hours at a time, and no more (because of this heat thing).

Has anyone else running bootcamp had this issue? I noticed one person @mystic mentioned it. Also, @Deathbycactus said something about upgrade/OC your 650m …I don’t know what that means.

Also, I’d like to echo everyone’s “THANK YOU” for including Mac users.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Jester.3265

Jester.3265

The big problem with releasing OS X versions is that the grand majority of Apple computer users use Macbooks, many of which are not up to snuff for running a current gen game. They lack the dedicated video cards. Not to say that they shouldn’t do it though.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Ernjo.2096

Ernjo.2096

Quickly read through the thread. Downloaded the client for OSX, copied GW2.dat, launched the client. Had some critical error after which the game downloaded an update. Now the game is working like a charm! The framerate is a bit lower. Used to run it almost everything maxed, now running on medium settings.

My computer is an older one, a MacPro 3.1 with single quad core, 6GB memory and an ATI HD5870 with 1GB memory. I hope they either optimize the game for this video card and OSX, or there will be a better video card available soon for the Mac Pro. :P

Thank you ANet guys for listening to your customers! This is something I’ve been waiting for a long, long time! Hello Guild Wars and goodbye Windows!

A client for OS X

Posted by: Kanonier.2094

Kanonier.2094

Ernjo – You have an awesome machine, however, i would seriously consider upgrading your memory, that should put you back up to decent settings!

A client for OS X

Posted by: JuremoPakwim.8392

JuremoPakwim.8392

One more for an official Linux version just saying.

SELECT signature FROM dumbpatters WHERE forumreference = 1;
0 rows returned.