A question on behalf of veteran players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No MMO can exist long term without a renewal of fresh players. It’s pretty much a given. People leave ANY MMO, good or bad, for reasons other than in game reasons. And then people burn out, people get jobs, people grow up, people have kids, people have school and don’t have enough time…it goes on and on. Some of those people come back. Some of them don’t.

But without new players replacing leaving players, you might as well close the doors. You’ll do it sooner rather than later. The better the experience for new players, the more players stay. That retention rate is vital to the future of the game PERIOD.

It helps long term players who plan on staying more than you know.

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

Tsssk, as a veteran I have to say fowl play Anet. At this point, do you give a cluck about us still? Because you’re really ruffling some feathers.

lol, nice.

I do think that it is in the companies best interest to attract new players and this update is a good move towards that. I don’t feel the vets are being neglected though. Theres plenty more coming up, this is just one small piece.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I wholeheartedly agree that any MMO needs to keep attracting new players. I just don’t think they need to have the mental capabilities of a chicken, that’s all.

I asked the question before, last QoL-update, if people were really struggling so much with traits. Apparently even back then new players couldn’t count to five anymore.

And now people are so confused about the downed state that they even removed it for the first five levels.

I’m sorry, what? How does this in any way make it more simple to understand?

What level of quality end game players are we raising with this, I wonder.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I wholeheartedly agree that any MMO needs to keep attracting new players. I just don’t think they need to have the mental capabilities of a chicken, that’s all.

I asked the question before, last QoL-update, if people were really struggling so much with traits. Apparently even back then new players couldn’t count to five anymore.

And now people are so confused about the downed state that they even removed it for the first five levels.

The weird thing with that approach is how inconsistent they are about it. At the same time as “we have to slowly ease you into the downed state mechanic”, they remove the thing where you have to unlock weapon skills one by one. Which I always thought was to let new players understand/get used to the individual skills of each weapon through use, rather than throwing them 5 new skills all at once.

I’m not saying that the weapon skill unlock system wasn’t also annoyingly slow, just that that change is completely against their prevailing approach to new players.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

The weird thing with that approach is how inconsistent they are about it. At the same time as “we have to slowly ease you into the downed state mechanic”, they remove the thing where you have to unlock weapon skills one by one. Which I always thought was to let new players understand/get used to the individual skills of each weapon through use, rather than throwing them 5 new skills all at once.

I’m not saying that the weapon skill unlock system wasn’t also annoyingly slow, just that that change is completely against their prevailing approach to new players.

It’s almost like they are trying to address many of the complaints from launch. Like, leveling was too fast, not enough understanding of skills and mechanics and such. Maybe in two years they will address these new complaints?

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

It’s almost like they are trying to address many of the complaints from launch. Like, leveling was too fast, not enough understanding of skills and mechanics and such. Maybe in two years they will address these new complaints?

This is all stuff they put into the chinese version to resolve our issues. We are just getting a port of that change.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Just because they are “for” someone else doesn’t make them against you. They may be giving persons or aspects of the game more attention than others but they aren’t setting out with the goal to marginalize you or to ruin your gaming experience.

Am I disappointed with the news so far? Kinda, some of the new loot looks interesting and I’m a little curious to see these new changes by starting a new character but it is otherwise pretty ho-hum. That doesn’t mean I feel like ANet has anything against me though.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

Just because they are “for” someone else doesn’t make them against you. They may be giving persons or aspects of the game more attention than others but they aren’t setting out with the goal to marginalize you or to ruin your gaming experience.

Well the PS Story (Key farming nerf) change does indeed marginalize my gaming experience.

Posted by: jdawgie.1835

jdawgie.1835

I have followed the Guild Wars franchise since 2006. With this new Sept Feature pack revelation, the game is not looking good. They’re “leaving money on the table” when it comes to us vets. There is very little in the Sept Feature Pack for long-time players. We shall see how GW2 fares against its giant American and Japanese competitors in the next few months. The US competition has a major expansion coming out this November. After what I’ve seen in the expansion’s trailer, Blizzard is looking to grab GW2 fans to their side.

We shall see how this all pans out. I love this game very much, and I don’t want to see it fail. Let’s hope there is something really good in future updates!

Blizzard taking me from Anet as a supporter and fan. NEVER gonna happen. Truth be told I agree with the thread creator to a degree. However Blizzard is famous for giving not a single thought about there vets. Blizz wud rather have 12 year olds running around instead of there B.C. vets.

And like you said we love this game so rest easy bro

Inserrection [RIOT]

Posted by: Tom.8029

Tom.8029

Think of it like this.

When people have their first child, they don’t always know what they’re doing. So with their first child, many mistakes are made to figure out what should and shouldn’t be done.

When the parents have more children, they’re usually more experienced in knowing what to do.

Now, does this mean that the first child got the short end of the stick? Maybe. Does this mean the second child is intentionally treated better? No.

It takes experience to keep your children happy. And happiness takes time.

P.S. Parent = ArenaNet, Children = Players

Primordial Dragons [Drgn]
Fort Aspenwood Elementalist

Vayne.8563

They’re not taking the weapon skills unlock away the first time through. They’re only leaving it so you won’t have to repeat unlocking the skills on another character once you’ve done it once.

It’s that they don’t want to throw too much stuff at you all at one time. Levels 1-5 you’re unlocking weapon skills, learning how to dodge, all sorts of other stuff. They figure by five you have some basics down and they can add something.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I have followed the Guild Wars franchise since 2006. With this new Sept Feature pack revelation, the game is not looking good. They’re “leaving money on the table” when it comes to us vets. There is very little in the Sept Feature Pack for long-time players. We shall see how GW2 fares against its giant American and Japanese competitors in the next few months. The US competition has a major expansion coming out this November. After what I’ve seen in the expansion’s trailer, Blizzard is looking to grab GW2 fans to their side.

We shall see how this all pans out. I love this game very much, and I don’t want to see it fail. Let’s hope there is something really good in future updates!

Blizzard taking me from Anet as a supporter and fan. NEVER gonna happen. Truth be told I agree with the thread creator to a degree. However Blizzard is famous for giving not a single thought about there vets. Blizz wud rather have 12 year olds running around instead of there B.C. vets.

I remember 2 years ago when Blizzard was all over this forum predicting they were going to kill GW2 with MoP but that plan kinda backfired in their face and they lost 3.5 million players. Looks like they are setting up to lose another 3.5 million with their next expac fail.

Posted by: Aivirth.7123

Aivirth.7123

new players bring sure money (you have to buy the game), veteran players (ones with some intelligence) do not buy gems with real money: mystery solved

not that i care about this game anymore, they can do whatever they want while i’ll play something worth my money

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Think of this. What is easier: creating new contents to satisfy veteran players (which cost a lot of money/time) or just simply recycling/editing some features that seem good for new players and hope to hook them into the game, make them spend their money, then have them quit to attract new customers?
As far as anet cares, we are some useless 2 year old garbage data occupying precious server traffic/bandwidth/memory. We are just fillers who occasionally purchase gem store items

Tour

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

ANet, What do you have against us?

We went through the somewhat lackluster personal story, getting even more lackluster rewards. Now you announce that you’re updating the rewards to be mildly interesting, but those of us who already completed it get absolutely nothing. This is only one of many gripes about the announcements so far, but this one seems particularly irritating.

“A Fresh Start” is an interesting choice of words. If you continue to alienate the people who have supported this game (financially and otherwise), recommended it to friends, and done everything they can to be helpful to new players in-game, then it really will be a fresh start, because there won’t be veterans around anymore. This should not be read as a threat; I don’t have immediate plans of leaving, but I think I speak for most vets when I say that, especially on the 2nd anniversary of the game, it would be nice to feel appreciated as a loyal player. With more than a title and a cake gun, that is.

Follow up question: What use is it to make a blog post that only really affects people who don’t yet play the game?

EDIT: Now that this thread has a red post (merci, Stephane!), I’d like to request we try to keep the discussion civil. It’s OK to be disappointed, but it’s not OK to be a jerk about it.

Yep you have a point. The crafting updates look nice to some of us vets who found that lackluster and who knows I might actually start getting actual tier 6 materials to drop for once!

But the rewards have been terrible post level 80 and I personally blame their economist.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Dumbing down the game for the Chinese market stinks of racism. They are just as smart as Americans or Europeans. Granted originally there were problems with the way GW2 introduced players to the game. That could have been fixed by including a real tutorial and making available an index of basic concepts in game but there was no need to mess with the game play.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Eh, you can support and be a fan of more than one game, you know? You don’t have to be “against” WoW just because you’re “for” GW2.

Anyway, I don’t agree that blizzard “don’t care for the vets”, they look like they’re building an expansion pack that might get me back.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I remember 2 years ago when Blizzard was all over this forum predicting they were going to kill GW2 with MoP but that plan kinda backfired in their face and they lost 3.5 million players. Looks like they are setting up to lose another 3.5 million with their next expac fail.

“Blizzard was all over this forum” two years ago? Really? At launch? I can’t say I remember that.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

It’s because once you’ve invested enough time into the game chances are you’re here to stay.

It’s more effective to invest more resources into grabbing new players, since veterans such as myself will probably stay unless they break the game completely at one point.

No point in catering to me or other old players I guess.

I too would wish for some sort of decent reward – maybe some skins or a nice buff – nothing huge or too fancy but something that would’ve said " we know you were with us – here’s a bit of appreciation".

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

The Feature Pack announcements will continue next week and some of them will definitely contain information that’s relevant to those of you who’ve been playing the game for long. We won’t tell you about them until the articles are live though, to keep the element of surprise!

Was that it? Minis and Finishers in the wardrobe?

What a great day for vets!

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: andrew.1798

andrew.1798

Over the past weeks, I’ve welcomed the changes (I’m not going to say balanced) to skills and traits to shift/push the meta a bit.

However, it was stated that this week will contain some stuff for veteran players, but besides adding a miniature and a new finisher tab to the hero panel, the rest of the week looks like “new ways to collect and trade things.”

Is this really all you have to offer veteran players? Is that really what’s going to keep us coming back: collecting and trading?

Hell, I am content with what’s available as I still have fun messing around with random trait spreads (invisible power) in WvW/sPvP. Even then, the game is becoming more and more stale since the horizontal progression is so incredibly slow (we’ve gotten 2 healing skills and a handful of traits that are a bit lackluster in 2 years, yay) with no new weapons for each class/no new utility skills.

Even a decent birthday present would have been nice.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m a veteran player and I ask that the OP NOT ask questions or make comments on my behalf…..thank you.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

The Feature Pack announcements will continue next week and some of them will definitely contain information that’s relevant to those of you who’ve been playing the game for long. We won’t tell you about them until the articles are live though, to keep the element of surprise!

Was that it? Minis and Finishers in the wardrobe?

What a great day for vets!

“relevant to those of you who’ve been playing the game for long”

They didn’t exactly promise a feast

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: enlightened.5396

enlightened.5396

Really underwhelmed by this. Quite sad really. GW2 has so much potential.

Stop tinkering around the edges and give me some substantial new content and places to explore. As a veteran player I need more than changes to the wardrobe.

I know there are a few “features” yet to be announced this week but I don’t hold out much hope. Please prove me wrong. I really do want to carry on playing but I’m so bored with GW2 at the moment.

IGN – San Jacinto
Vanishing Legacy (VALE)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Blizzard was never on these forums officially representing their company. Why would you even say that? Those 3.5 million didn’t all go to GW2 either. They stopped playing altogether, or went to other MMOs. The genre has dozens of MMOs now, so the population is more spread out than ever before.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

What was that saying?

It is better to have 10,000 play for several years, than 1 million to play for several days.

We need content, not stuff that is instantly forgotten simply by leveling up…

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

Follow up question: What use is it to make a blog post that only really affects people who don’t yet play the game?

Hi Puddles,

First of all, we at ArenaNet very much appreciate the support that all players that have played the game for so long have given us. Without you guys, your love of the game and how you spread the word around you, things would clearly not be the same.

Today’s blogpost about the New Player Experience will not have as many visible effects to you specifically as it would have for a brand new player, that knows very little about the game. The new direction system should help you get a clearer and more useful top-tight UI, but also give your new characters better rewards.

As you noted, it is mainly targeted at new players, those that need it the most. We want their learning experience to be better so that they, too, can become veteran players of Guild Wars 2 one day! Learning to play a brand new game, and MMOs tend to be more on the more complex side of videogames, can be a daunting and hard task.

We want more people to be able to walk this path you walked and this is why we implemented the New Player Experience system, to create a route that new players can walk and feel rewarded along the way.

Again, thanks for your support!

On your last paragraph you say you want new players to walk the path we walked. I’m confused how could they you just simplified it for them. There’s no way they can walk that path. Besides where was this learning experience for us vets?? I can tell you! It was by us playing the game, trial and error, experimenting, and last but certainly most important we learned together as a community! Players helping players.

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

So, today we find out that veteran players get to see our finishers and minis in the wardrobe. Surprise!!

Hope more “surprisingly relevant” stuff comes this week. /sigh

Seriously, how could this “feature” patch get any better?? They don’t seem really all that invested at keeping us around.

Vayne.8563

So, today we find out that veteran players get to see our finishers and minis in the wardrobe. Surprise!!

Hope more “surprisingly relevant” stuff comes this week. /sigh

Seriously, how could this “feature” patch get any better?? They don’t seem really all that invested at keeping us around.

In all fairness, this is one of the more requested features. The minipet thing is a big deal to some people…mostly vets. It’s not that easy to remember that just because I don’t care about something doesn’t mean it’s not great for other people.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

What was that saying?

It is better to have 10,000 play for several years, than 1 million to play for several days.

We need content, not stuff that is instantly forgotten simply by leveling up…

That’s so 2k06/GW.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Posted by: DoRnbush.7984

DoRnbush.7984

We’re two (of three) updates into the final week and I still don’t think we’ve seen anything that benefits people that have been playing for the past 2 years. Today’s “feature pack” update of Collection Achievements applies to “veterans” of the April Feature Pack at best as it only counts items that have been unlocked in your wardrobe since it was activated 4/15.

This will be much like when the April Feature Pack released and did not unlock all the cultural armor skins on my account even though I have all the achievements and the Emperor title from collecting them all. The proof was right there, but no, I was expected to dump another 620+ gold into the game to unlock them all again. The same thing applies here. I’m not saying that I should retroactively be given achievement points but please don’t try to pass these off as updates for veterans who have supported this game from day one. Players of all classes benefit from these updates equally.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Hm. I’ll hush until then. But if I don’t get something cool next week I will raise a hell so furious…

Jk thnx for the red post.

Given Anet reputation, you better get the torch and pitchfork ready.

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

veteran player who?

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Man, that mini-pet change is so exciting and relevant.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Specially in WvW where pets will clearly dominates lower tiers.

Vayne.8563

You must have missed the excited comments about it, because obviously some people did find them exciting and relevant. Admittedly it doesn’t mean much to me personally but nothing Anet can provide is going to satisfy everyone.

Lazuli.2098

If there are so many people excited about mini pets why don’t they use them in game. I can go days without seeing a single one (not that I’m complaining).

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

DANG IT man..u literally made me spill my coffee

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

this game is made for SIMS fans and for the facebook generation and Arenanet ignore they sold it as an mmorpg

SIMSwars 2 would say more about the game than Guildwars 2 ^^

(edited by Romek.4201)

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Hey…hey…hey…..atleast SIMS gets DLC content that not only improves but actually puts in a lot of content that appeals to everyone that plays ok?

Don’t insult SIMS please

Lazuli.2098

This is a picture of my sim, Jan, who is based on my Norn guardian.

Attachments:

Posted by: kiwiburner.2186

kiwiburner.2186

I am so excited about this exciting blog post of excitingness!

You see, for years I have struggled, often crying myself to sleep at night, with my failure to teach my dog how to play Guild Wars 2.

[ … ]

In fact, I’m sure if I can convince a couple of chickens from the neighbourhood to pick up the game, we could even form a dungeon team in a couple of weeks. It’s just that easy!

Tsssk, as a veteran I have to say fowl play Anet. At this point, do you give a cluck about us still? Because you’re really ruffling some feathers.

Anet’s goals seem a bit scrambled, but the yoke; is on us.

*yolk

Hey…hey…hey…..atleast SIMS gets DLC content that not only improves but actually puts in a lot of content that appeals to everyone that plays ok?

Don’t insult SIMS please

Yeah, that stripping their games and re-selling them as expensive DLC sure seems to be working out for The Sims: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4

I think we should be thankful anet don’t emulate EA’s disgraceful model.

“poopsock made it past the filters!” -stinkypants.8419

(edited by kiwiburner.2186)

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Dumbing down the game for the Chinese market stinks of racism. They are just as smart as Americans or Europeans. Granted originally there were problems with the way GW2 introduced players to the game. That could have been fixed by including a real tutorial and making available an index of basic concepts in game but there was no need to mess with the game play.

China is known for its media censorship. It could be due to the government’s interference. The government there watches artists like a hawk.

Lazuli.2098

Yeah, that stripping their games and re-selling them as expensive DLC sure seems to be working out for The Sims: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4

I think we should be thankful anet don’t emulate EA’s disgraceful model.

I think they stripped it down and made the program code much smaller so that it could be run on a tablet. If so it will expand their market. I’m not getting sims 4 though.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

If there are so many people excited about mini pets why don’t they use them in game. I can go days without seeing a single one (not that I’m complaining).

Because currently each and every time you log in, change maps, or waypoint after defeat, you have to open your inventory, select the minipet in question and activate it again. Plus it takes up inventory space, and if that mini-Moto my ranger wants to summon for a walk through Mount Maelstrom is currently in my warrior’s inventory someplace deep in Dry Top, the ranger is out of luck (unless I can be bothered to move both to a bank, exchange the mini, then move both back to where they were going).

The update is going to do away with all those nuisances. A mini once summoned (equiped) will stay so until I change its status, I will be able to equip and switch any unlocked mini on any character anyplace in the world, and they no longer clutter up my characters’ inventories. Even though I already have minis out a lot of times these days, I’m sure it’ll be even more often after the update.

kta.6502

Blizzard has 7.8 million subscribers
Anet has 460,000 active players (as of Aug 2013)

Just saying…

(NOTE: Anet hasn’t announced how many players have been playing GW2 in 2014. I only have last year’s numbers. )

kta.6502

This is a picture of my sim, Jan, who is based on my Norn guardian.

Very cool!

Vayne.8563

People have been complaining for a long time about how annoying it is to keep taking out a minipet every single time you port or change zones or die. It takes up an inventory slot as well.

If mini pets aren’t popular, why do minipets from the BL chests sell for 2-3 gold immediately? After all it’s not like you get any achievements for having them.

Vayne.8563

Just saying…

(NOTE: Anet hasn’t announced how many players have been playing GW2 in 2014. I only have last year’s numbers. )

That’s not true. Anet had 460,000 players on line currently at that time (which was a long time ago anyway…they’ll not likely hit that mark again any time soon).

At the time that figure was taken, the game was relatively new and I’m pretty sure they had over 3 million players. That was how many were online concurrently.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

Just saying…

That’s not true. Anet had 460,000 players on line currently at that time (which was a long time ago anyway…they’ll not likely hit that mark again any time soon).

At the time that figure was taken, the game was relatively new and I’m pretty sure they had over 3 million players. That was how many were online concurrently.

not 3 million players – it was 3 million sold copies
and from this 3 million only 460.000 ACTIVE players (online)