A refresher course for player etiquette

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Time to time it is needed to run a refresher thread about etiquette within a game. I know this has been posted before by other in other forms, but it is once again time to refresh ourselves with this.

The most important word that anyone can use for this is respect.

Treat others as you would like to be treated in other words. Last night I had an encounter on my sever which will remain unmentioned. A few days ago two separate members of a guild on my sever purposely trained some mobs onto me.

For those that don’t know what “training” is. I will define. Training is when you cause aggro to be established upon yourself and you lead a line of these mobs into someone else. Thus leaving them to with these mobs on them, which can cause their character to get killed.

To continue; I found out the who the guild leaders of this guild that did this to me and proceeded to whisper to them on what had happened. As a result of this contact I was first called a liar. Then a short time later contacted by one of the regular members of the guild who proceeded to cruse me out in chat.

Within the next hour I suddenly found myself surround by several members of this guild including their leaders who proceeded to bring in a large number of mobs on me and eventually got me killed.

They then rezed me to a point of just below actually fully rezing me. This happened in the two times they succeeded in getting me killed. Act as if they were trying to make up their earlier poor treatment of me. They continued to follow me around for about an hour.

This is called grieving.

This is not how people should treat each other. Be it in a game or in RL. This can also be called bullying. Something that has become something that more and more people are become aware is wrong.

My name reflects my believes. I follow the golden rule. I know not all do the same.

I have been in MMOs a long time. I had thought I had seen it all. Apparently I was wrong. I had never encountered an entire guild of grievers to the point that the leadership itself was involved. Now I have.

My best suggestion I can make to those that do follow the golden rule; is do not hesitate to report someone for this type of behavior. It is wrong and needs to be removed. If you can’t do it in RL you shouldn’t do it here either.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Wow, this is extreme. You remember the name of the guild by any chance? Not that I’m going to call them out or start a trollfight, but I’m sure as hell going to avoid them.

Krosslite.1950

I find it best not to say in public. That would be wrong

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

Report them. It’s probably the only thing you can do. I’m guessing this isn’t the only time they’ve done something like this…and hopefully with enough reports ArenaNet will do something to enforce their rules.

Posted by: SimianChaos.3219

SimianChaos.3219

I think someone has tried this with me when I’m on my guardian. I’ll be fighting a veteran or something and a couple guys will come by trailing mobs and run right past me. This usually doesn’t cause me any problems because of the way I’ve built my character but I’ve seen it happen. Never thought people were attempting to grief me. But now I know and shall keep an eye out for it. It’s a sad truth that people will inevitably find some way to harass their fellows, even in a system as friendly as GW2.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Yeah I’ve seen this before. I called out some kitten for training in /map (I survived the train which included a champion), and proceeded to get a lot of replies to the affect opf “l2p, qq moar” etc follwoed by two guys following me about delibratily training (Again still failing to kill me but it was pretty annoying and prime example of how not to be a good citizen.)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

@ op: Wow that sucks, the fact that it is a guild and not just a random jerk makes it so much worse.
Report them, the less we have of these type of players in the game the better for the community as it can severely influence your view of others.
My husband and I have had mobs trained on us by farmers running for nodes in Orr, Luckily we are a pretty good team and have never died because of this. Often we then see the same player lying dead a few minutes later, his train milling about him. The question then is to help or not to help- so far we always have, since we want to be those kind of players

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Metalripper.5406

Metalripper.5406

I am sensing there is more to this story, players don’t do this kind of trolling without a personal vendetta. If players want to grief, they can simply go to the jumping puzzle in EBT and grief an endless supply of players. Your story doesn’t add up.

Posted by: Bloodtau.4672

Bloodtau.4672

Hope you took screenshots. Get them reported, they will banned from the game faster than they can spell grieving.

Posted by: Dra Keln.2015

Dra Keln.2015

If I occasionally find myself in over my head I train mobs onto other players, and then play my part in killing them. I’m not sure if its bad etiquette but its my first instinct

80 ele
Yaks Bend

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Amazing people will always find a way to grieve. Never seen them do it on purpose. In Orr it will happen just because the mobs are so aggressive that you ll never get rid of some kind of train. In most other places the lease is so short that truly training someone is quiet hard.

Yeah, think you can report them. I believe there is an option in the menu for grieving behavior.

Posted by: Noppy.1348

Noppy.1348

Hey Krosslite,

it’s a bad experience and as you tell it, it got worse. People sometimes train mobs to another player by accident. I mean, when you get a bigger chunk then you can chew, you run, right? And then you sometimes get a train that follows you, so if you pass another player (again, not deliberate) you can be call for that. But in that case its an unfortunalle experience.
On the ohter hand, the story you tell, where the whole guild, including the leaders, come and train you and let you die, that’s just NOT DONE!! No other explanation or hiding behind “peer presure”, you just don’t do that to another person.

So indeed, go report them, try to avoid those kind off people and keep following that golden rule! I know i do the same and i count my blessings that i (so far) never had an planned train on me.

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

I am sensing there is more to this story, players don’t do this kind of trolling without a personal vendetta. If players want to grief, they can simply go to the jumping puzzle in EBT and grief an endless supply of players. Your story doesn’t add up.

Not really, this can happen anywhere. Anyone can simply just think to themselves “mmm I wanna grief someone” “oh look there is some guy, let’s go grief him”

Doesn’t need to be location specific.

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

Wow, I wouldn’t do that to anyone even if I hated em. Whats wrong with people? There are better ways to treat people in this or any game. I’d let everyone know who it was just so people know to avoid them and not end up joining that guild unwittingly someday.

Posted by: Nakatsu Hime.3520

Nakatsu Hime.3520

Ohhh, I always miss out on this kind of fun. I must look too harmless, or cute, or something.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

For those that don’t know what “training” is. I will define. Training is when you cause aggro to be established upon yourself and you lead a line of these mobs into someone else. Thus leaving them to with these mobs on them, which can cause their character to get killed.

REALLY? REALLY? Seriously, I thank people when they pull monsters for me. Farming is a lot faster if you don’t have to pull them yourself.

You should too, that’s etiquette.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

If I occasionally find myself in over my head I train mobs onto other players, and then play my part in killing them. I’m not sure if its bad etiquette but its my first instinct

That is extremely poor form and causes grief to other players. It’s been considered rude and bad form since the beginning of MMORPGs. Don’t do it, if you are at all interested in being a good citizen of the game’s community, and showing common courtesy to your fellow players. If you need help killing some mobs, ask for help. Talk to the other players and get together, so they can CHOOSE to fight.

If the potential is there that mobs you aggroed may end up attacking another player, either figure out some way to avoid it or eat the death. The death penalty is very light in this game, and should teach you a lesson to not get in over your head next time.

Posted by: Noppy.1348

Noppy.1348

REALLY? REALLY? Seriously, I thank people when they pull monsters for me. Farming is a lot faster if you don’t have to pull them yourself.

This will depend on your char and how good you are in handling multiple mobs at once. Not all people are able to stand strong in a train and will surely die. I’m thinking about elementalist or ranger (have only experience with those 2). They play great, but when rushed by a large train, its very hard to survive this on your own. So be carefull with this.

Krosslite.1950

Wow, I wouldn’t do that to anyone even if I hated em. Whats wrong with people? There are better ways to treat people in this or any game. I’d let everyone know who it was just so people know to avoid them and not end up joining that guild unwittingly someday.

Well due to the rules of the forum I am now allowed to do so. As I stated I follow the golden rule:

Do unto other as you would have others do unto you.

My post is as stated was mainly for educational purposes only. Showing an example of extreme grieving. What is unfortunate is that it really took place.

In addition someone stated that there is more to the story then is being said. Again implying I am lying. Let me clarify this issue.

I followed the unspoken rules of MMOs. If you have an issue with a guild contact the leadership and ask them to help you out nicely. I did so. They asked me to provide names. I explained unfortunately due to the train all I saw was the guild tag. It is soon after this that I was called a whiner by another guild leader and cursed out by a regular member. This shows that the “leadership” shared my name to the regular membership. This in itself is something you do not do. Having been a guild leader myself in the past there is an etiquette when someone outside the guild has an issue with someone within your guild. Simply you don’t tell people their names.

I must also add that a member of this guild also tried to pass himself off as an Anet rep. Again something that is against the rules.

This entire issue has been reported and screenshots made as well as any mail saved. This again is the correct thing to do.

I am hoping that I can help someone else in the future if anything like this ever happens to them.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Wow, what a bunch of jerks. Sorry that happened to you. Not sure what server you’re on but I would personally block them all and switch. Yak’s Bend is nice

Posted by: Animus.6073

Animus.6073

Guys, just a small clarification: it is “grief” or “griefing”, not “grieve” and “grieving”. I know it isn’t a big deal but they mean very different things. Grief is not a verb in the English language but in the MMO setting it means harassing other players through verbal or in game abuse. Grieve is a verb meaning to mourn or be sorrowful. Grieving, likewise, indicates the action of a person who is mourning or is in a current state of sorrow.

That being said (sorry, English Major bad habit), I agree that this sort of behavior is very bad form. The pseudo-anonymity that MMO’s create for players lets them act in ways they would be ashamed to act in real life. It is the mark of a very small person.

Posted by: liandral.3275

liandral.3275

Hi Dra,

I suggest you dont do this anymore.

For those of us who have played countless MMO’s, if you aggro too many mobs, run AWAY from other players.

Sometimes you get lucky and outrun or use a stealth skill to de-aggro and end up living, or you die without taking others down with you.

Please have the courtesy to die alone lol.

If you do this, you give other players the choice to choose to help you or not. Often I see another player struggling and will leap in to assist. However I loath those that bring me 7 mobs while I am fighting 2 of my own.

Seriously.. stop doing this ^.^

Krosslite.1950

Guys, just a small clarification: it is “grief” or “griefing”, not “grieve” and “grieving”. I know it isn’t a big deal but they mean very different things. Grief is not a verb in the English language but in the MMO setting it means harassing other players through verbal or in game abuse. Grieve is a verb meaning to mourn or be sorrowful. Grieving, likewise, indicates the action of a person who is mourning or is in a current state of sorrow.

That being said (sorry, English Major bad habit), I agree that this sort of behavior is very bad form. The pseudo-anonymity that MMO’s create for players lets them act in ways they would be ashamed to act in real life. It is the mark of a very small person.

thanks for the correction… I felt I was spelling it incorrectly but the auto-spell check said I was wrong.

Posted by: pandemos.3497

pandemos.3497

This will depend on your char and how good you are in handling multiple mobs at once. Not all people are able to stand strong in a train and will surely die. I’m thinking about elementalist or ranger (have only experience with those 2). They play great, but when rushed by a large train, its very hard to survive this on your own. So be carefull with this.

… lb ranger is extremely strong against large mobs, especially with bar/ss and traps which you’d likely have ready if in orr for farming, etc. qz to take down the champ if there’s one in the group too.

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

Actually, I have to disagree, politeness or courtesy would be more important, not respect.
Respect is earned and not arbitrarily given.
I can be polite and courteous to someone I don’t respect.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

You are so awesome and have so much more class than they do.

Freaking jerks. I hope you reported them! And I’m sorry you had such a lame experience. Come on over to Borlis Pass! We are generally a pretty awesome but jerk-intolerant server <3

Krosslite.1950

Actually, I have to disagree, politeness or courtesy would be more important, not respect.
Respect is earned and not arbitrarily given.
I can be polite and courteous to someone I don’t respect.

I see your point and agree. I should have used those words instead. I knew I was going to be long winded and went with that instead

Posted by: smug.3895

smug.3895

Say it. Name and shame them.

Krosslite, this is just a reminder that forum rules prohibit you from naming and shaming people no matter how much they might deserve it. I know you weren’t going to, but just in case the peer pressure starts getting to you. No need in getting yourself into trouble.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Whining to the guild leader because someone dragged mobs to you was petty on your part. The response of the guild was equally petty.

Sounds like pettiness all around.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

a couple times it happened to me where I trained mobs to players. I ran away from several, with the camera pointing back and promptly ran past other players..
I usually then stop and fight the mobs with them, apologizing afterwards for training (didn’t know it was called that) the mobs on them.
It’s all about honor. If this could happen in RL, I would do the same, going for a beer afterwards.

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

Whining to the guild leader because someone dragged mobs to you was petty on your part. The response of the guild was equally petty.

Actually, as a former guild leader and having guild leader experience since eq1 was released, and having many many guild leader friends, there is nothing petty about reporting people belonging to a certain guild to their leader. I myself have had people in my own guilds that were reported to me from other players. I’ve never once (nor any guild leader I’ve ever known personally) been rude or confrontational with anyone having a problem with any of my members ever. I’m sure it’s not unheard of.
That being said, I would want to weed out the bad apples as long as sufficient proof was shown to me that there was in fact an issue. Some might not like the idea of having to babysit or play politics, but for the good of the guilds name and the respect I would want my guild to command within the overall game community, I would have no issue (and have done so in the past) kicking anyone that was found to be harassing other players.
People play the game for enjoyment and to get away from their crappy hum drum lives. If someone were making it a point to make someone else’s playtime suck, I wouldn’t deem the person being messed with petty for complaining about it.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

When mmo`s were young and actually took you time to advance in people cared about thier reputations on servers. Sending a guild leader or an officer a tell informing theem of thier members poor behavior was the normal thing to do. People didn`t want jackholes in thier guilds giving them a bad name when the guild is trying to maintain a respectable appearance. People got booted from guilds and blacklisted because they didn`t follow the play nice policies and they soon found themselves alone in a game that required teamwork to get anywhere in.

If I were sent a tell that told me that my guild members were harrassing someone, Id give them one warning to clean up thier act or they were gone. Next complaint I got about them would get them booted. I`ve allready done it plenty of times. I wouldn`t want people like that in my ranks to beginwith. But in this game people change guilds like they change underwear so it wouldn`t make a bit of difference here. The OP did the right thing nontheless.

Posted by: Norelation.3067

Norelation.3067

I have no idea how this happened to you. Maybe I’m just blessed with the natural abilities of escaping such situations so I don’t get it. Ignore people of such nature, if they continue to harass you, screen shot/report them. Griefing is looked down upon heavily by moderators and developers of this game, you have plenty of allies.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Good on you for reporting them, Krosslite, and for keeping your head high. This sort of behavior is pretty much bullying and should not be tolerated at all, by anyone.

You can’t mention specific names in the forums, but if you’re on Tarnished Coast, feel free to PM me the names of those involved. I’ll keep an eye out and let my friends know.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

While I get you feel that you were wronged, aren’t you blowing it out of proportion a bit by titling the thread “refresher course in player etiquette”?

We all need to stop and check ourselves because you got griefed once? That’s as disrespectful to all of us as that guild was to you.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

what server is this from? Haven’t seen any of this in my entire play. I get the occassional “oh no a player is getting overrun by mobs let me help him” and he suddenly leaves me, but no intentional training. I hear it in map chat though particularly in wayfarer foothills.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

We all need to stop and check ourselves because you got griefed once? That’s as disrespectful to all of us as that guild was to you.

The title of his thread may have given you that idea, but the contents of the thread aren’t lecturing the community in being a good citizen, but talking about a bad experience that happened to him and encouraging people who might have gone through similar experiences to make good use of the report function.

There’s nothing fundamentally disrespectful about Krosslite’s post. There is, however, something undeniably pernicious about a player or a group of players going out of their way to make someone else unhappy. Suggesting that these two things are similar is just false equivalence.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Kumu Honua.2751

Actually, as a former guild leader and having guild leader experience since eq1 was released, and having many many guild leader friends, there is nothing petty about reporting people belonging to a certain guild to their leader. I myself have had people in my own guilds that were reported to me from other players. I’ve never once (nor any guild leader I’ve ever known personally) been rude or confrontational with anyone having a problem with any of my members ever. I’m sure it’s not unheard of.

Well with the very limited information we have in this post, it’s petty. All the guy says is that some random players dragged enemies to him. I do it all the time when I’m traveling from one place to another and not bothering to kill enemies on the way.

Granted I attempt to avoid others, but sometimes I’m not paying attention. Other times it’s enemies resetting to their “home” position after I have dragged them all. Most notably the wolves when traveling from Starry to Slough waypoints to gather orichalcum in Frostgorge. There’s a good 20 wolves in that one passage and I just sprint past them. If someone follows behind and stops to fight, they will end up with the 20 wolves following me on their head shortly. I’m sure I’ve dropped on others just as often as people have dropped on me.

I don’t go seeking out the guys guild leader and complain enough that the entire guild drops whatever they are doing to retaliate against the complaint. Something doesn’t jive here. There is most certainly something being left out of the equation.

People play the game for enjoyment and to get away from their crappy hum drum lives. If someone were making it a point to make someone else’s playtime suck, I wouldn’t deem the person being messed with petty for complaining about it.

I deem it petty based on the distinct lack of information. Especially on the forums. It’s his side of the story. Most assuredly it’s exaggerated and definitely not all the information.

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I wish people would pull mobs to me… makes farming a lot faster.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Well with the very limited information we have in this post, it’s petty. All the guy says is that some random players dragged enemies to him. I do it all the time when I’m traveling from one place to another and not bothering to kill enemies on the way.

Granted I attempt to avoid others, but sometimes I’m not paying attention. Other times it’s enemies resetting to their “home” position after I have dragged them all. Most notably the wolves when traveling from Starry to Slough waypoints to gather orichalcum in Frostgorge. There’s a good 20 wolves in that one passage and I just sprint past them. If someone follows behind and stops to fight, they will end up with the 20 wolves following me on their head shortly. I’m sure I’ve dropped on others just as often as people have dropped on me.

I don’t go seeking out the guys guild leader and complain enough that the entire guild drops whatever they are doing to retaliate against the complaint. Something doesn’t jive here. There is most certainly something being left out of the equation.

I deem it petty based on the distinct lack of information. Especially on the forums. It’s his side of the story. Most assuredly it’s exaggerated and definitely not all the information.

Regardless of his side of the story or not; it doesn’t matter. He’s just reminding people about game ethics. He is not calling the guild/random people/ or whoever it may be out—That would be a hatepost and we would need more info in that regard. In this kind of post, whether it’s true or not, it’s always good to encourage player etiquette. Quit being so suspicious about something that doesn’t even matter. So what if it happened or not?

EDIT: As a starter for you, when someone is generally concerned about something and is by all means doing his best to not rage like most people do in forums, it’s bad etiquette to just call it petty regardless if you think it is or not. Just don’t say anything at all.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

(edited by ArcTheFallen.7682)

Krosslite.1950

True it is my side of the story.
I must point out though that as was said above this thread is not meant to get your pity, but to encourage reporting such event.
The meer fact that I felt it should have a thread made on it. Shows the magnitude of the situation. Under the guildlines of the forum i have given a fair and honest reporting of facts of this issue.

But to get back on track for the thread.

Those above that said they were guild leaders stated that I did the correct actions. Having been one myself I felt justified in doing what I did. Most here have agreed.

Purposely trianing is wrong
giving my name out to general guild member is wrong.
pretending to be an Anet rep is extremely wrong.
grouping together to harrass someone is wrong

Kumu Honua.2751

Yes of course.

Report inappropriate behavior. However from everything you stated here, contacting the guild leader to complain was in fact quite petty.

So some random people dragged enemies on top of you. Suck it up buttercup. Flee for 20 feet and come back.

You stated however that you went fully out of your way to contact the guild leader and whatever happened between you and that guild leader caused the entire guild to drop whatever it is they were all doing to UNIFY and harass you.

So it makes me wonder what the kitten you did to piss off an entire guild to the point that they would drop their farming in order to kill your character. A feat that is nothing more than a pyrrhic victory.

Posted by: Sabbathius.1465

Sabbathius.1465

OP,

You absolutely should report them for griefing.

Having said that, for your own sanity’s sake, once you report them, don’t dwell on it any more. Just go on with your life secure in the knowledge that karma is a *, and one of these days their filter won’t click into place and they’ll behave like this in real life and it’ll go very badly for them.

Krosslite.1950

OP,

You absolutely should report them for griefing.

Having said that, for your own sanity’s sake, once you report them, don’t dwell on it any more. Just go on with your life secure in the knowledge that karma is a *, and one of these days their filter won’t click into place and they’ll behave like this in real life and it’ll go very badly for them.

That is my intentions. Me writing this thread, in a constructive manner to help others, was my way of venting.

I am playing this game with my cousin. So switching servers is not an option at this time. I will go invisible when I can for the next few week though.

Anyway getting off topic again.

per Wikipedia:

A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways.1 A griefer derives pleasure primarily or exclusively from the act of annoying other users, and as such is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals.2

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Hard to tell how others might react, but if you did this to me, I wouldn’t mind at all. It’s kinda a fun social encounter, whether there is chatting or not (or a simple exchange of ‘thank/welcome’).

And for those not in trouble, but just too busy to be bothered with ‘trash mobs’ on your important schedule, that’s fine, but if you do walk it over me, knowing (as you know) what is bound to happen, at least stop and fight them with that person that will invariably get them, and then move on.

If that doesn’t mess up your “I can make n gold in exactly 45 minutes” algorithms too much.

Posted by: Nyaochan.1756

Nyaochan.1756

Yes of course.

Report inappropriate behavior. However from everything you stated here, contacting the guild leader to complain was in fact quite petty.

So some random people dragged enemies on top of you. Suck it up buttercup. Flee for 20 feet and come back.

You stated however that you went fully out of your way to contact the guild leader and whatever happened between you and that guild leader caused the entire guild to drop whatever it is they were all doing to UNIFY and harass you.

So it makes me wonder what the kitten you did to piss off an entire guild to the point that they would drop their farming in order to kill your character. A feat that is nothing more than a pyrrhic victory.

I’m going to assume the OP knows the difference between someone just running by and dropping mobs on accident, and someone who did so on purpose, which is what sounds like what happened here.

Some people really are malicious just for the sake of being so…

Krosslite.1950

I just found this. Thought it would help:

Guild Conduct & Expectations
Rules of Conduct are vital in any uber MMORPG guilds. Etiquette and proper behavior should be
required among all members of the guild to promote respect and courtesy among guild members.
What you say and do can be easily misinterpreted in any online format so it is very important that
members maintain proper mature conduct between guild members, alliance members and the general
gaming community.

Misconduct and inappropriate behavior will impact negatively on the guild as a whole. Therefore, you
should stress proper conduct among all members of your guild and be prepare to kick misbehaving
members. If you don’t have the will to kick members, you should have a conduct/conflict officer
who is prepare to make the hard decisions.

Cursing
There is no place for cursing in any uber guild. Sure we all slip a curse when we get killed or are
frustrated but when it becomes excessive or frequent, the member should be warned or kicked.
Improper etiquette only brings a negative and hostile atmosphere to the guild environment and should
be avoided. Cursing should never be seen on any community or global chat. Furthermore, many of
your older members may have children near by or watching. My recommendations are to keep it PG
13 in a group setting and anything goes in private.

Foul Play
Members who actively perform activity for the sole purpose to ruining another’s gaming fun should
be warned or kicked. Such activities such as monster pulling, teleporting one to a hazardous zone,
camping a spawning area in PvP, and cheating have no role in an uber MMORPG guild setting. This
type of foul play only brings a negative impact to the hard work you put forth to your guild.

Stalking/Sexual Harassment/Misconduct of Sexual Nature
Members who engage in any harassment behavior of a sexual nature should be kicked out
immediately. Your MMORPG guild has no room for any predators, perverts or stalkers of any nature.
Not only does it negatively impact on your guild public image and reputation, it also will cause an
increase number of member departures from your guild if this type of behavior is tolerated. My
recommendations are to be firm with this anyone misbehaving in this particular aspect and to deal
with the matter privately and swiftly before it becomes a big issue.

http://www.guildhelper.com/conduct.html

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I never deliberately train monsters onto other players, but I think I may have done it inadvertantly once or twice while running from one place to another and I couldn’t be bothered to stop and fight them. If I did wrong somebody in this manner, I apologise!

However, if the person deliberately did it so that they could gain free access to a node/skill point/whatever while the other player did all the work, then that is bad form. I’m not sure if a single incident would be report-worthy, but what the OP experienced at the hands of the entire guild is definitely griefing and should be reported.

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

There’s 2 sides to every story.

OP could have avoided issues by simply reporting the first time and going on about his business.

How did this group of people even find you a 2nd time?

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I’ve done this accidentally once or twice – just recently when I didn’t even realize the mobs would be hostile, since similar mobs elsewhere in the area are friendly and have merchants. My character is very squishy, so I fled and wound up right on top of a guardian. I stayed to help clean up – it’s not that my char can’t fight, but close-quarter ambushes are something it just can’t handle very well.

The problem is that in a lot of places there isn’t a good way for non-melee characters to avoid close combat (at least in the areas I’ve been in). Squishy characters wind up having to do a lot of fleeing, and if other players are around there’s a chance of an unhappy accident. If there were more ways to flee quicker, or even just if trying to run in combat wasn’t an exercise in futility this would be a lot better. Or if mobs didn’t have incredibly long aggro ranges, or if the respawn rates weren’t insanely quick, or if we could map out of combat – there’s a bunch of ways for ANet to fix this. Until then I think we’re going to keep seeing accidental training as people try to deal with really massive numbers of quick-moving mobs when their character isn’t built for close combat.

That’s not what the OP is talking about though – that experience sounds really bad. I’m honestly interesting in knowing what guild this is so I can avoid them, they sound like terrible news. Or at least knowing the server so I know if I need to watch out for them or not. I understand the OP not wanting to run the risk of any more harassment, although I think that’s probably futile. Trolls and griefers always come back for more.

If anyone who likes getting mobs dropped on them is on my server, I’ll be happy to make your farming easier. Or maybe we should ask the Devs for a Looking For Train functionality?