AMA on Reddit [merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Also, a vocal minority cannot overtake Reddit, they would get downvoted to oblivion.
Valid concerns of the majority of players will naturally rise to the top.

What about the minority that need to have an issue addressed that is game breaking for them?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Also, a vocal minority cannot overtake Reddit, they would get downvoted to oblivion.

What about the minority that need to have an issue addressed that is game breaking for them?

Given how Reddit is set up, any reply to his first post “Hi, I’m here!” is going to show up in his new messages. He’ll either get to it as he has time, or will wind up bogged down by being repeatedly asked the definition of “grind” until he has no more time left.

. . . no, i’m not kidding, that question got repeatedly asked. In many different phrasings, as if trying to get him to give two inconsistent answers.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

I’ve had this feeling for a while now and now seeing some of it from his responses.

They were trying to make a “different” sort of MMO, trying to do things differently from the current MMOs on the market. Trying to challenge the system. But in the process they’re slowly realizing that there’s a reason a lot of these systems are being used to begin with. So, they end up slowly inching these systems in.

ie, the comment about not wanting rez rushing – probably the reason why there are no waypoints in the Fractals.

I still remember one of the early videos about dungeons (right before the first Beta Weekend started). Wasn’t the original plan to have bosses that don’t tether (you can drag them anywhere in the dungeon), with HPs that don’t reset (if you wipe and go back, the HP will stay where it was when you wiped)?

Imagine my surprise when I went in to Ascalonian Catacombs the first time and it wasn’t similar at all to what I watched.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As much as I was concerned about the FotM and Ascended, I have read Chris Whiteside’s responses so far, and am going to continue playing the game. I may return to paying for gems once the promises to make the Ascended gear accessible in many aspects of the game are actually patched in.

Posted by: TravisTrout.6803

TravisTrout.6803

Obviously the key phrase I’m going to point you to in that quote is, “if someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it”.

In other words, pretend that the rest of the quote was never said so that we can revise history. Here’s the actual quote:

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it*, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”*

There’s no period after “it” in the actual quote. There was a comma, and what follows the comma is exactly the opposite of the game you are now making. You have flipped a perfect 180, and ONLY through revisionist history can you disagree.

I would have had a lot more respect for Anet if they just came out and said, “Yeah, we changed our minds. All that stuff we said before, we’ve decided we were wrong.”

But no, they didn’t say that. Instead they’re trying to spin it so it looks like this is what they meant all along. I find this insulting. Whoever wrote that PR nonsense isn’t smart enough to fool all of us.

(edited by TravisTrout.6803)

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

I’ve had this feeling for a while now and now seeing some of it from his responses.

They were trying to make a “different” sort of MMO, trying to do things differently from the current MMOs on the market. Trying to challenge the system. But in the process they’re slowly realizing that there’s a reason a lot of these systems are being used to begin with. So, they end up slowly inching these systems in.

ie, the comment about not wanting rez rushing – probably the reason why there are no waypoints in the Fractals.

I still remember one of the early videos about dungeons (right before the first Beta Weekend started). Wasn’t the original plan to have bosses that don’t tether (you can drag them anywhere in the dungeon), with HPs that don’t reset (if you wipe and go back, the HP will stay where it was when you wiped)?

Imagine my surprise when I went in to Ascalonian Catacombs the first time and it wasn’t similar at all to what I watched.

The problem is, Guild Wars 2’s itemization is horrible and lacks in comparison to any modern MMO. If one wants to gear grind, there are options out there that do gear grind better.

Posted by: grumbles.5412

grumbles.5412

I’m curious if the implementation was such a mistake and so many aspects around ascended gear was done wrongly and they knew it wasn’t how they wanted to go about doing things Why did they push it through?

Never used Reddit so perhaps someone could ask this for me.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

arcaneclarity.5283

I’m curious if the implementation was such a mistake and so many aspects around ascended gear was done wrongly and they knew it wasn’t how they wanted to go about doing things Why did they push it through?

It was already asked, twice. Both times it was ignored.

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Since it was on the same weekend as the “free weekend” deal I guessing they did it as a showcase to show new people what GW2 is all about … epic battles … exploration … sweet sweet loot (for some atleast) …

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

“More generally, I hope we’ve been clear that GW2 is not a game with virtually no stat progression in it like GW1 was. That’s why GW2 shipped with a higher level cap, and with a hard separation between PvE and PvP. In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.”

BOOO! Please do not increase the level cap!

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

arcaneclarity.5283

Honestly, I can only remember this type of backlash and the kind of scenario where a MMO company pushed through with their decision despite outrage. It happened with CCP and their monocle debacle. They aptly reversed their decision and apologized. It was said that the whole thing could have sunk the company.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

More generally, I hope we’ve been clear that GW2 is not a game with virtually no stat progression in it like GW1 was. That’s why GW2 shipped with a higher level cap, and with a hard separation between PvE and PvP. In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.

BOOO! Please do not increase the level cap!

It’s been stated several times it would happen… both prelaunch and atleast once with the AMA. It isn’t and shouldn’t have been news to people.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: maaprid.2168

maaprid.2168

Let’s get to the real good stuff like when I can dye and change my hair!!

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Would you say their concerns there are pretty much in line with those stated at the Official Forum for GW2 here?

arcaneclarity.5283

Would you say their concerns there are pretty much in line with those stated at the Official Forum for GW2 here?

Pretty much mirrors it. In fact, I think there’s even more vitriol since they aren’t censored by moderators.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

The problem is, Guild Wars 2’s itemization is horrible and lacks in comparison to any modern MMO. If one wants to gear grind, there are options out there that do gear grind better.

Now that is fact, they really can’t even compete and we all thought they weren’t trying to compete, so it was all good.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Power creeps creeps; that’s why they call it power creep.

To be fair, power creep is different phenomenon that is just part of the treadmill symptom. We had power creep in GW1 without ever getting more powerful gear. Skills combinations became more powerful with each expansion, making content easier and easier to complete, requiring harder and more unforgiving content to stay challenging. Power creep is a problem, but it’s a different pair of shoes compared to gear treadmilling. They are connected, though.

Power creep specifically deals with the power level. So, if you see a 5, 3, or 1 for a given power, you know that 5 is the highest power and that is the one you want to get. In MMO’s the creep of power level is associated with gear, armor, weapons, enchantments (whatever they are called). For people who define progression in this manner arriving at the new power cap is never satisfying as they will soon “want something to work toward”, so a new instance of the treadmill will need to be created.

It is a never-ending cycle, hence power creep. And those completing their latest treadmill assignment, will find no change in relative power to other players or the environment. So, for those embarking on a never-ending cycle of going nowhere, we salute you.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Chris Whiteside

We do not believe we have gone against any of our principals,

He keeps repeating this, yet this has been pointed out repeatedly, so many of us obviously believe that they have went against their own principals. We were marketed their philosophy and principals with every PR statement leading up to release. This is what we made our purchasing decision on. Yet he continues this line. Honestly, this whole AMA has done nothing but insult my intelligence.

Even though they have now admitted that obtaining Ascended gear is a grind(quote below), it does not change the fact that they did intentionally implement this obvious grind into the game they touted for years as not being grindy. Even for those that believe there is no violation of the core philsophy/manifesto, there is an undeniable contradiction between ascended gear and the pre-release assurances that exotics and legendaries would be statistically equal.

Mike OBrien on Reddit

Introducing new rewards for playing new content doesn’t have to lead to grind, but for two of the three examples (item types) we introduced in November, it did. The design team is aware of that and fixing it.

Anet does deserve some credit for acknowledging this, and working towards a fix. Unfortunately a lot of damage has been done, and all any of us can do is wait and see if an adequate fix gets implemented. I am holding my final judgement (and decision of whether to continue playing this game or not) until I see some details on how they intend to balance the new gear and methods of acquiring it.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

tkalamba.2541

Some yes, but they’ve become a pretty obvious minority. Reddit has grown to dislike anyone who constantly repeats the same complaints over and over again. A majority are more worried about bugged events, and other issues, Ascended gear talk has basically disappeared aside from an odd post everyonce in a while.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think it should be ignored; there are very few times when a company should air out who . . . exactly . . . made what decision . . . precisely . . . just because someone asks. All that needs to be said is “that decision was made, it was a mistake, we’re hoping to rectify it”.

They already admitted it was not implemented well, they’ll try to fix it and try to not repeat this in the future. Asking for someone specific to lay the blame on is . . . a little petty.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Pretty much mirrors it. In fact, I think there’s even more vitriol since they aren’t censored by moderators.

Difference is on Reddit, someone can much more easily put together several extra accounts and appear as a crowd of like-minded people.

arcaneclarity.5283

I think it should be ignored; there are very few times when a company should air out who . . . exactly . . . made what decision . . . precisely . . . just because someone asks. All that needs to be said is “that decision was made, it was a mistake, we’re hoping to rectify it”.

They already admitted it was not implemented well, they’ll try to fix it and try to not repeat this in the future. Asking for someone specific to lay the blame on is . . . a little petty.

Except the issue isn’t about implementation, it is about the fact that it exists at all. The whole idea that it wasn’t implemented well is a poor deflection.

tkalamba.2541

“HI All,
you are definitely not to late for questions. i am just taking a breather and then i will start answering some more. I would imagine that i will be continuing with the AMA for at least another 4 hours.
Chris”

He’s goin to be at it for a bit.

Posted by: Batomaru.1930

Batomaru.1930

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Except the issue isn’t about implementation, it is about the fact that it exists at all. The whole idea that it wasn’t implemented well is a poor deflection.

The issue about “so whose idea was it” isn’t about implementation either, it’s about assigning blame to one person after pretty much the team said “yes, that’s on us”.

Posted by: Ora.8945

Ora.8945

I asked if we’re going to need to get new legendaries when the level cap increased, or if what Linsey says here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/ about them always being best-in-slot is true.. hope he answers

arcaneclarity.5283

The issue about “so whose idea was it” isn’t about implementation either, it’s about assigning blame to one person after pretty much the team said “yes, that’s on us”.

Notice the original post. Why did they push it through? It’s interesting that you are trying to deflect this specific conversation.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Notice the original post. Why did they push it through? It’s interesting that you are trying to deflect this specific conversation.

. . . maybe because at this point the “why” isn’t as important as the fact that it happened? That this fallout fractured the community and made so many people upset at ArenaNet or specific people within their employ. That they’re left in this position where there is a very real possibility this game is going to be bombed out of existence by people unhappy with this, and their work on this is wasted.

“Why?” is the least of my concerns. “What are you folks going to do about it?” is what I think is the most important thing.

. . . and I meant ArenaNet, not you.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

All is NOT lost people!

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

arcaneclarity.5283

. . . maybe because at this point the “why” isn’t as important as the fact that it happened? That this fallout fractured the community and made so many people upset at ArenaNet or specific people within their employ. That they’re left in this position where there is a very real possibility this game is going to be bombed out of existence by people unhappy with this, and their work on this is wasted.

“Why?” is the least of my concerns. “What are you folks going to do about it?” is what I think is the most important thing.

That why is very important. If that why is because Nexon purchased 14.7% of NCsoft, then there is zero hope ArenaNet will see the error of their ways and we can just move on quietly.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

“E9:There are no ways to repair inside of fractals aside from cash shop items, providing an inherent advantage to people who pay for advantages. Can this be fixed?

Well it certainly wasn’t designed to be a monetization resource, however i do see your point. We wanted to get rid of rez rushing and focus more on parties working together to not die and die less (-: We will continue to monitor the need for repair in the fractals and go from there.

Sorry if i am not giving more details here but this is something i would like to get metrics on.

Chris"

Who are you trying to fool here? THE MOMENT I saw the article about having a hub between 3 fractals where you could repair and sell items, the first thing that crossed my mind was that repair canisters were going to play a major role here.

You developed this content for 3 months, and you are telling me that the though NEVER CROSSED YOUR MIND?

What you are doing here is basically lying in the face of your players, and unfortunately for you it’s extraordinarily telling this time around.

Just wow…

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

arcaneclarity.5283

Anyone notice the lack of any comments by Colin Johanson since this entire Ascended fiasco started? He is the one that constantly fed us the PR that convinced us to buy the game.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

That why is very important. If that why is because Nexon purchased 14.% of NCsoft, then there is zero hope ArenaNet will see the error of their ways and we can just move on quietly.

Ah! Well, that could be important to you, very well . . .

They did answer that:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13tuac/im_the_studio_design_director_on_guild_wars_2_ama/c777tvi

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Colin Johanson

What about Eric Flannum?

arcaneclarity.5283

That why is very important. If that why is because Nexon purchased 14.% of NCsoft, then there is zero hope ArenaNet will see the error of their ways and we can just move on quietly.

They did answer that:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13tuac/im_the_studio_design_director_on_guild_wars_2_ama/c777tvi

That didn’t really answer it. Nexon would have pushed on NCsoft, and NCsoft would have pushed ArenaNet. There would never have been any contact between Nexon and ArenaNet.

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Chris Whiteside

We do not believe we have gone against any of our principals,

He keeps repeating this, yet this has been pointed out repeatedly, so many of us obviously believe that they have went against their own principals. We were marketed their philosophy and principals with every PR statement leading up to release. This is what we made our purchasing decision on. Yet he continues this line. Honestly, this whole AMA has done nothing but insult my intelligence.

It reaffirmed mine.

I feel that he’s right, no manifesto contradiction was committed, I’m happy to see more low-power-curve goals.

WoW asked too much of me to stay relevant, GW2 asks just enough to keep me playing, without making feel like every hour spent living life is another hour falling behind my more dedicated friends.

Manifesto: AAA MMO with great lore and interesting gameplay, no content gear gates, no sub fee, Wv3, sPvP with no gear advantage, no mandatory grind to stay relevant.

They delivered.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

arcaneclarity.5283

Colin Johanson

What about Eric Flannum?

Him too. I think this is the first time I’ve seen Christ Whiteside step up as the role of PR. So why him? You think if they wanted to smooth over things with the community, the logical conclusion, whether it would actually work or not, would be to get the people who used to talk with the community in the past.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

They did answer that:

That didn’t really answer it. Nexon would have pushed on NCsoft, and NCsoft would have pushed ArenaNet. There would never have been any contact between Nexon and ArenaNet.

It’s certainly plausible, but there are three options now:

- They’re lying outright and Nexon does indeed have a say. They know Nexon has a say, and it is unavoidable.
- They don’t know if Nexon has a say since it would route through NCsoft. So their statement is correct only in the way that they are unaware of it.
- They’re correct entirely and Nexon has nothing to do with how ArenaNet develops content.

Take your pick, I only accept #3 because I assume they wouldn’t bother lying about it blatantly if it was true, only answer it with a further nonanswer such as “there are no Nexon representitives currently in this office today”.

tkalamba.2541

They did answer that:

- They’re lying outright and Nexon does indeed have a say. They know Nexon has a say, and it is unavoidable.
- They don’t know if Nexon has a say since it would route through NCsoft. So their statement is correct only in the way that they are unaware of it.
- They’re correct entirely and Nexon has nothing to do with how ArenaNet develops content.

Take your pick, I only accept #3 because I assume they wouldn’t bother lying about it blatantly if it was true, only answer it with a further nonanswer such as “there are no Nexon representitives currently in this office today”.

From what I understood, the stake Nexon has is nowhere enough to be considered a controlling share of the company. They won’t really be able to dictate the state of the game. They just stand to make some profit if it is successful.

arcaneclarity.5283

They did answer that:

From what I understood, the stake Nexon has is nowhere enough to be considered a controlling share of the company. They won’t really be able to dictate the state of the game. They just stand to make some profit if it is successful.

They are the largest shareholder which means they have the largest influence at shareholder meetings.

Posted by: TravisTrout.6803

TravisTrout.6803

I feel that he’s right, no manifesto contradiction was committed

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

This is no case resting on a sound, reasonable, logical basis that can refute this obvious contradiction of their stated philosophy.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Him too. I think this is the first time I’ve seen Christ Whiteside step up as the role of PR. So why him? You think if they wanted to smooth over things with the community, the logical conclusion, whether it would actually work or not, would be to get the people who used to talk with the community in the past.

Too many possible answers. Occam’s razor suggests that it the lead designers simply don’t have any time to waste with showing presence because they are working on hard an expansion.

tkalamba.2541

They did answer that:

They are the largest shareholder which means they have the largest influence at shareholder meetings.

Shareholder meetings don’t dictate the direction a game takes though. They may influence some future acquisitions and the like, but day to day matters, and the general state of a game won’t be affected by that 15% stake.

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Take your pick, I only accept #3 because I assume they wouldn’t bother lying about it blatantly if it was true,

Please….

It´s videogame industry, blatantly lying about things is the bread and butter. I´m not saying this is the case but being as naive as to think that people who have their monetary gain on the line only wish for the best of you is just…well naive

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

no spvp questions answered, at least they are consistent with the crap state of spvp.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

I think “moving forward” in every answer is an attempt at subliminal manipulation. They want us all to forgive and forget and just keep playing.

It sounds so positive and up-beat, doesn’t it? Almost… hypnotic…. (zombie voice)… moving… forward…

It is definitely a technique used by PR. Youtube Julia Gillard (Australian Prime Minister) Moving Australia Forward. In our last major election she used “Moving Forward” so many times there were parodies made on it. It was more obvious during the election because of her lack of charisma you could tell it was a technique she hadn’t mastered.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

Tobias Trueflight.8350

They did answer that:

That’s what I understand, but I don’t understand boardroom politics (or else I’d probably be on one now going for that controlling interest). Most people are throwing around that they own the largest single pool of shares, but they still only have something like 14.7%?

It doesn’t seem like that’d be able to control anything unless they could bully or throw their weight around with it . . . which would probably work for too long if it was done repeatedly.

Then again – I don’t know boardroom politics.

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

“E9:There are no ways to repair inside of fractals aside from cash shop items, providing an inherent advantage to people who pay for advantages. Can this be fixed?

Well it certainly wasn’t designed to be a monetization resource, however i do see your point. We wanted to get rid of rez rushing and focus more on parties working together to not die and die less (-: We will continue to monitor the need for repair in the fractals and go from there.

Sorry if i am not giving more details here but this is something i would like to get metrics on.

Chris"

Who are you trying to fool here? THE MOMENT I saw the article about having a hub between 3 fractals where you could repair and sell items, the first thing that crossed my mind was that repair canisters were going to play a major role here.

You developed this content for 3 months, and you are telling me that the though NEVER CROSSED YOUR MIND?

What you are doing here is basically lying in the face of your players, and unfortunately for you it’s extraordinarily telling this time around.

Just wow…

Hi Gab Superstar,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just wanted to take the time to correct some of your assumptions. Let me be very clear here:

‘At no point did we discuss or design lack of repair points in fractals to be a monetization gain for us.’

It may not be obvious to you (which is totally understandable) that this team is spinning many plates at a time and sometimes we miss things. So let me explain how we came to design there being no repair point in fractals:

- We wanted groups to win encounters through skill rather than blind force, therefore…
- We removed rez rushing. We removed way points and replaced them with checkpoints that could only be used when the whole group was down, this meant….
- That group members would spend more time keeping players alive resulting in less deaths. Should a group come across an encounter that is to hard…
- They would stop playing or spend the time to work out the encounter or both.
- We absolutely did not want players continually running into their deaths.
- The decision was therefore made that there was no need for repair points.

Due to a lot of things going on at once we did not realize that this could be seen as a cheap way to monetize our players and had we have thought of this (thanks to the original poster for bringing this to our attention) we would have/will look at the system and see if we can fix the issue with breaking any of the design pillars surrounding FotM.

I hope this sheds some light on the concern.

Chris

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Take your pick, I only accept #3 because I assume they wouldn’t bother lying about it blatantly if it was true,

Please….

It´s videogame industry, blatantly lying about things is the bread and butter. I´m not saying this is the case but being as naive as to think that people who have their monetary gain on the line only wish for the best of you is just…well naive

I didn’t say they want the best for me. I said they could come up with a much better lie or dissemblance if they wanted to. I also have the naive belief that people don’t always lie from both sides of their mouth, any time they open it.

I live in a strange world. It’s called “cautious optimism”.

arcaneclarity.5283

They did answer that:

That’s what I understand, but I don’t understand boardroom politics (or else I’d probably be on one now going for that controlling interest). Most people are throwing around that they own the largest single pool of shares, but they still only have something like 14.7%?

It doesn’t seem like that’d be able to control anything unless they could bully or throw their weight around with it . . . which would probably work for too long if it was done repeatedly.

Then again – I don’t know boardroom politics.

The majority of the stockholders are never present at stockholder meetings as they are a publicly traded company. Stock holders elect a board of directors, and the CEO. They have all the power of how a company operates.