AMA on Reddit [merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

The two questions I really wanted answered were never asked.

• PD5: Less and less people are interested in running story-modes, which is hurting new players. What plans are there to fix this? Increasing the replayability value for players who have already run it as an example?
  • TF1: It’s been previously stated that old content will receive new updates as content is released. What are the plans for updating maps like Orr, where they are seen more of as an “annoyance” then a “challenge”?

This kinda sucks if you don’t have a reddit account and aren’t interested in opening one. Basically it excludes you from participating in an interactive meeting with the developers that’s supposed to be ‘open’ to the public…

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

Imo the biggest screw up they did was limiting how you could get ascended gear, making running FoTM did not score much imo. If they would have made craftable version’s, and pvp version’s from the get go, I think alot of this firestorm could have been negated or atleast deminished.

ANet initially introduced Ascended gear via the FotM. They have written that this, perhaps, was the wrong way to go about. However, this new gear tier will roll out throughout the game; which will mean it will provide more accessible ways to get it.

The major problem with that is if we apply the current grind for ascended items to other avenues all you’re looking at is more flavors of grinding available. Think about it, 2000 badges of honor for 1 item, 1 million karma per item, or 20 dungeon runs for 1 item. Not to mention that both karma and WvW have severely limit stat combinations. They could add 20 different ways to get ascended items but if the current grind is any indicator they still wouldn’t be more accessible.

Read the AMA. They stated that they realized that the price of ascended items were disproportionate in certain ways to the amount of work they wanted people to put in for them in comparison and they’re looking in to it.

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

That is such a great neutral answer. Certainly keeps us Oceanic people guessing till the next event huh? :P To be fair I don’t think he couldn’t have answered differently as the real answer will be how they handle their next few events. If I am not even given the chance to participate then I think this is the wrong game to be spending my time on.

I’ve seen it explained in other threads by ANet people that the timing is based on when they have the greatest number of people on. For us in the western pacific, GW2 is really quiet in our prime time, so to be involved in GW2 prime time event we need to wake up extra early.

If they continue to cater to their “greatest number of people” 100% of the time, then 100% of the time they aren’t catering to anyone else. I just wanted to know for certain, from the horse’s mouth, what their plans were for that.

Given that it sounds like 1 time events aren’t being ditched it will be interesting to see what they actually do. As previously mentioned, if I don’t have a reasonable chance to participate not sure I should stay. Also leads me to wonder why they have european based servers in the first place if they aren’t going to use other timezones. :P

Don’t get me wrong: I don’t mind missing events if I really can’t make them. But if almost everyone in my timezone misses an event due to timing that’s a different story.

Yet they knew before the games release date about this event and just iggyed us all in oceanic time zones, so i have asked Please explain? we deserve that much not an answer that is just treating us like dummies that they don’t care about.

Posted by: Alchemist.3692

Alchemist.3692

This wasn’t asked during the AMA but I’m sure a lot of people are curious about it. Linsey mentioned a “scavenger-hunt” type of method for getting precursors. Can someone maybe elaborate on it, and perhaps give a timeline on when it might be expected?

The biggest concern I have is that while RNG is a ridiculous concept altogether, hunting for a specific enemy in hopes of an RNG drop (such as the rumors of getting precursors from Jormag) is only moving sideways and not forward. I (and I’m sure many others) don’t mind challenges in to getting the precursors (just like how getting the gifts are challenges and not an RNG fest) but if it’s just going to be another ridiculous gamble – then just leave them as it is.

Could we maybe also get a comment on the amount of RNG involved in the acquisition of precursors?

Posted by: Nate Gray.9241

Nate Gray.9241

Got to admit, a lot of that made me breathe a sigh of relief. Also while I appreciate (and empathize) with a lot of the frustration happening, some people were pretty blatantly rude with their questions, I’d hope we were all more mature than that. Chris is a bigger man than I am, I’d have ignored those questions entirely.

I honestly don’t mind new tiers of gear, what I mind is when ridiculously difficult ones like legendary and, currently, ascended, become stronger than what is realistically available. If this were any other game, it would be expected, but that’s not what was promised for GW2 and thus that’s why I’m here. But they seem to realize it wasn’t a good call to roll this new content out like they did and are going to work out something to make it more accessible, so I’m back to the ‘benefit of the doubt’ stage. As for Legendaries being infusable, I feel like that should bother me but it doesn’t; they are incredibly difficult to get, I don’t mind them having that extra bonus provided someone with a legendary will still overall find challenge fighting someone with just a rare/exotic.

Posted by: Osprey.6587

Osprey.6587

Well, I guess the bottom line here is what’s done is done and they aren’t going to remove it or rectify the situation. I’m a little saddened by that. I was truly excited to be able to play an MMO I didn’t have to work like a job to keep up with gear progression but that game no longer exists and consequently, I will not be returning.

I’ve gone back to playing World of Tanks the last week or so and I’ve spent nearly $50 in their cash shop. At least there I know my top tier tanks are still going to be top tier when I log in daily.

Posted by: Maz.8604

Maz.8604

Imo the biggest screw up they did was limiting how you could get ascended gear, making running FoTM did not score much imo. If they would have made craftable version’s, and pvp version’s from the get go, I think alot of this firestorm could have been negated or atleast deminished.

ANet initially introduced Ascended gear via the FotM. They have written that this, perhaps, was the wrong way to go about. However, this new gear tier will roll out throughout the game; which will mean it will provide more accessible ways to get it.

The major problem with that is if we apply the current grind for ascended items to other avenues all you’re looking at is more flavors of grinding available. Think about it, 2000 badges of honor for 1 item, 1 million karma per item, or 20 dungeon runs for 1 item. Not to mention that both karma and WvW have severely limit stat combinations. They could add 20 different ways to get ascended items but if the current grind is any indicator they still wouldn’t be more accessible.

Read the AMA. They stated that they realized that the price of ascended items were disproportionate in certain ways to the amount of work they wanted people to put in for them in comparison and they’re looking in to it.

Damage done. Gold sales made. Material cost lowered when the threshold of players willing to RMT to cut out grind is reached. ArenaNet rewarded for pr nightmare. Paves way for future ‘mea culpas’ with initially prohibitive grinds to suck money from trusting playerbase.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Damage done. Gold sales made. Material cost lowered when the threshold of players willing to RMT to cut out grind is reached. ArenaNet rewarded for pr nightmare. Paves way for future ‘mea culpas’ with initially prohibitive grinds to suck money from trusting playerbase.

Doctor Solus… is that you?

Posted by: Maz.8604

Maz.8604

Doctor Solus… is that you?

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Posted by: Illiander.8049

Illiander.8049

Well, they’ve contradicted themselves in their answers already, so I don’t think I’ll believe anything they say:

4: Ascended Gear is designed to fill the ‘Time’ gap in regard to the distance between exotic and Legendary in terms of progression.

9: With regard to minimal Grind, how is going from 5 Ectos to 50 Ectos for a piece of gear minimal? 5 T6 items to 250 T6 items, minimal?
9: Good point Nacho. We are currently discussing these particular items and it is fair to say that we don’t want have such big hikes in requirements moving forward.

So they say that they want Ascended gear to be hard to get, but that they don’t want it to be hard to get. Right. Life of a PR mouthpiece I suppose.

Playing on Gentoo.

Azjenco.9425

Well, they’ve contradicted themselves in their answers already, so I don’t think I’ll believe anything they say:

4: Ascended Gear is designed to fill the ‘Time’ gap in regard to the distance between exotic and Legendary in terms of progression.

9: With regard to minimal Grind, how is going from 5 Ectos to 50 Ectos for a piece of gear minimal? 5 T6 items to 250 T6 items, minimal?
9: Good point Nacho. We are currently discussing these particular items and it is fair to say that we don’t want have such big hikes in requirements moving forward.

So they say that they want Ascended gear to be hard to get, but that they don’t want it to be hard to get. Right. Life of a PR mouthpiece I suppose.

Not to play devil’s advocate, but the answers are being taken out of context here.

The time gap between exotics and legendaries mean that exotics now are easily obtained, and legendaries are supposed to take a very long time. Right now, there is nothing that takes a moderate amount of time and effort and feels worth getting.

But as question nine states, as of now ascended gear doesn’t fill that gap efficiently. It’s far closer to the legendary grind than the exotic ease of attainability. They also seem to realize that dropping large difficult to find numbers on gear is a lousy way of to make something hard to obtain. Thus they are reworking ascended gear so it’s more of a challenge to get, a bit more of a challenge than exotics, while not making it a total grind, gold digging schlep like it is to get a legendary.

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

But as question nine states, as of now ascended gear doesn’t fill that gap efficiently. It’s far closer to the legendary grind than the exotic ease of attainability.

It also pushes the Legendary even further because it uses the same mats, and for some of them in the same quantity.

Let’s just say that pre-Ascended, exotics were a week away once you dinged 80, and a legendary was 6 months away.

So they add in Ascended, and it looks like a piece is like 2 months away (using the above time scale) for an infused piece. But that also pushes a legendary to now 7 months or so.

So much of what they say really doesn’t make much sense and it feels like they simply haven’t thought anything through.

If you want to fill the gap, the gap filler really needs to be something you can do concurrently with a legendary, not as a “precursor” that pushes the legendary further, because right now each piece of infused Ascended does push that legendary a bit further, just widening the gap.

Everything about this patch just oozes “We know this patch isn’t ready, but we MUST put it out before Thanksgiving, no matter what” and we’ll just fix it later. Every aspect of the patch is/was bugged, just like so much of the 3 month old content that’s sitting around not being done (especially now that FotM has best in slot for 3 slots).

Except they haven’t done anything for a week now, and the AMA really doesn’t say anything beyond “yeah, we know we messed up, we’ll get to it, promise!”.

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

But as question nine states, as of now ascended gear doesn’t fill that gap efficiently. It’s far closer to the legendary grind than the exotic ease of attainability.

It also pushes the Legendary even further because it uses the same mats, and for some of them in the same quantity.

Let’s just say that pre-Ascended, exotics were a week away once you dinged 80, and a legendary was 6 months away.

So they add in Ascended, and it looks like a piece is like 2 months away (using the above time scale) for an infused piece. But that also pushes a legendary to now 7 months or so.

So much of what they say really doesn’t make much sense and it feels like they simply haven’t thought anything through.

If you want to fill the gap, the gap filler really needs to be something you can do concurrently with a legendary, not as a “precursor” that pushes the legendary further, because right now each piece of infused Ascended does push that legendary a bit further, just widening the gap.

Everything about this patch just oozes “We know this patch isn’t ready, but we MUST put it out before Thanksgiving, no matter what” and we’ll just fix it later. Every aspect of the patch is/was bugged, just like so much of the 3 month old content that’s sitting around not being done (especially now that FotM has best in slot for 3 slots).

Except they haven’t done anything for a week now, and the AMA really doesn’t say anything beyond “yeah, we know we messed up, we’ll get to it, promise!”.

Then leave. The guy was up for hours answering the questions while people insulted him and still all people can do is give him a hard time. Seriously man, if you’re not happy, leave. They admitted they made several mistakes, said they want to build a rapport and better level of communication and design a better quality process in general. Its all they can do..they are not magic, they cant undo their mistakes.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Here is the problem, exotics are already pretty grindy to obtain for most people. Even at 3g per piece of gear(cheap!) you’re looking at 36g for 6 armor pieces, 2-4 weapons, and 5 accessories. At 1g an hour(assuming no exotics/loadstones/etc drop) that’s 39-45 hours of grinding. But wait! we have to put runes in them! Want the rune of divinity? That’s another 36g, or 12g for another decent rune set. Then yet another 4-8g for weapon sigils. At least So upwards of 60 hours of grinding at the low end for a single set of gear.

Want just a dungeon set? If I remember correctly it’s 30 dungeon runs over 10 days at 3 new paths a day to get 6 pieces of gear(20 runs) and 2 weapons(10 runs). So if you’re doing a short dungeon(30mins) you can get it in 15 hours, IF that dungeon set has the stats you want. Otherwise you’re looking at 1hr+ dungeons and upwards of 30 hours. Remember that this is also the NERFED version, the grind used to be something like 90 dungeon runs. To give you a better idea, back in WoW vanilla I never did any dungeon more than 12 times to get a piece of loot I wanted(dire maul north orge staff only staff with +damage at the time!). 30 raids of MC would gear everyone out.

Karma? Limited stats and grinding takes just as long as money. At 387 karma per event(iirc) it takes 651 events to get a karma set. If someone saves all karma while leveling that’s ~60k upon hitting 80, leaving 496 events to go! Even at 5 minutes per event(not likely!) that’s 41 hours, 82 hours at 10 minutes. Anyone is free to do the math with karma jugs!

Badges of honor? LOL, you’ll get the karma for karma gear in WvW before you’ll get the badges.

My point is that for most people 30-80 hours for a single set of gear is already out of reach. I know many people who quit upon reaching 80 because they simply didn’t want to grind to get top statted gear, mostly because this game was touted by having easy to gain max stat gear and horizontal skin progression. Now they are putting in ascended at it’s 30-80 hours PER PIECE. Even if they lower the grind on it, it’s still going to be above current exotics, thus out of reach of most. I don’t even want to grind for a 2nd set of exotic gear set because it’s already painful and now we have ascended? If they are looking into things then they need a really drastic overahul of all current items to ease people into gear grinding.

ArenaNet failed at vertical loot progression if that is what they wanted to go for. WoW is very good at progressive tiers of gear so you feel like you’re constantly accomplishing something. GW2 you go from hodge podged gear at 79 to 80 rares right away because they are cheap. The jump from rares to exotics is huge. A full set of rares takes all of 3-4 hours(4g maybe using orbs for runes/sigils). You go from 3 hours to 30hours in a single gear jump. In WoW the investment was pretty even. The end result might be an epic set taking you 60 hours to get, but you got 2-3 upgrades getting there most of the time.

Ditton.3149

Here is the problem, exotics are already pretty grindy to obtain for most people. Even at 3g per piece of gear(cheap!) you’re looking at 36g for 6 armor pieces, 2-4 weapons, and 5 accessories. At 1g an hour(assuming no exotics/loadstones/etc drop) that’s 39-45 hours of grinding. But wait! we have to put runes in them! Want the rune of divinity? That’s another 36g, or 12g for another decent rune set. Then yet another 4-8g for weapon sigils. At least So upwards of 60 hours of grinding at the low end for a single set of gear.

Want just a dungeon set? If I remember correctly it’s 30 dungeon runs over 10 days at 3 new paths a day to get 6 pieces of gear(20 runs) and 2 weapons(10 runs). So if you’re doing a short dungeon(30mins) you can get it in 15 hours, IF that dungeon set has the stats you want. Otherwise you’re looking at 1hr+ dungeons and upwards of 30 hours. Remember that this is also the NERFED version, the grind used to be something like 90 dungeon runs. To give you a better idea, back in WoW vanilla I never did any dungeon more than 12 times to get a piece of loot I wanted(dire maul north orge staff only staff with +damage at the time!). 30 raids of MC would gear everyone out.

Karma? Limited stats and grinding takes just as long as money. At 387 karma per event(iirc) it takes 651 events to get a karma set. If someone saves all karma while leveling that’s ~60k upon hitting 80, leaving 496 events to go! Even at 5 minutes per event(not likely!) that’s 41 hours, 82 hours at 10 minutes. Anyone is free to do the math with karma jugs!

Badges of honor? LOL, you’ll get the karma for karma gear in WvW before you’ll get the badges.

My point is that for most people 30-80 hours for a single set of gear is already out of reach. I know many people who quit upon reaching 80 because they simply didn’t want to grind to get top statted gear, mostly because this game was touted by having easy to gain max stat gear and horizontal skin progression. Now they are putting in ascended at it’s 30-80 hours PER PIECE. Even if they lower the grind on it, it’s still going to be above current exotics, thus out of reach of most. I don’t even want to grind for a 2nd set of exotic gear set because it’s already painful and now we have ascended? If they are looking into things then they need a really drastic overahul of all current items to ease people into gear grinding.

ArenaNet failed at vertical loot progression if that is what they wanted to go for. WoW is very good at progressive tiers of gear so you feel like you’re constantly accomplishing something. GW2 you go from hodge podged gear at 79 to 80 rares right away because they are cheap. The jump from rares to exotics is huge. A full set of rares takes all of 3-4 hours(4g maybe using orbs for runes/sigils). You go from 3 hours to 30hours in a single gear jump. In WoW the investment was pretty even. The end result might be an epic set taking you 60 hours to get, but you got 2-3 upgrades getting there most of the time.

Exotics hard to get? Ive equipped all 4 of my 80’s in pure 80 exotics in less than 2 days after getting 80…you can run a dungeon all paths and get 180 a day..that is a piece a day..so yeah..this holds no validity. Not to mention you get about 12 if you complete all the 60-80 areas..which will get you to your 80 sets. There are plenty of ways to get exotics easily.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The time gap between exotics and legendaries mean that exotics now are easily obtained, and legendaries are supposed to take a very long time. Right now, there is nothing that takes a moderate amount of time and effort and feels worth getting.

Yes there is. Try the ultra rare expensive exotic weapon skins from Mystic forge. Try to get 3-4 full sets of different stat builds. Try to do the same with 2 alts.

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Exotics hard to get? Ive equipped all 4 of my 80’s in pure 80 exotics in less than 2 days after getting 80…you can run a dungeon all paths and get 180 a day..that is a piece a day..so yeah..this holds no validity. Not to mention you get about 12 if you complete all the 60-80 areas..which will get you to your 80 sets. There are plenty of ways to get exotics easily.

Obviously not for you.

8 days to get a dungeon armor set, if you run 3 paths a day. weapons add another 1-2 days.
Crafted is easiest, but stat variety is limited, and price trend is up up up with the ascended grind skewing material prices way up. 10-20g at cheapest, considerable amount for some of us.
Karma armor may be easier if you haven´t found anything to spend karma on, but stats are even more limited.
Wvw badges….who are we kidding?

It´s time consuming for some of us, too much for many infact. Personaly i was starting to acquire different armor sets to support builds i wanted to playwith, but as i saw ascended hit the fan, i just couldn´t be arsed anymore, i propably will struggle to keep one armor set up to date

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Yes there is. Try the ultra rare expensive exotic weapon skins from Mystic forge. Try to get 3-4 full sets of different stat builds. Try to do the same with 2 alts.

Oh right, the destroyer core backpiece, and the destroyer lodestones rings, oh and the destroyer lodestone armor. Oh wait, there is none. :p

Not to mention this basically pidgeonholes you into farming type X lodestones. Or farming for gold to get lodestones. Hell you might not even like the destroyer or corrupted gear.

Sure you’re right, it does indeed “fill the time-gap” But it certainly doesn’t have the content to go with that gap.

And 3-4 full sets of different stat builds is completely ridiculous. I already cant be bothered to change my armor every content piece I do and I only have two sets.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: kineticdamage.6279

kineticdamage.6279

So … while I salute Chris ultra dedication for this AMA (9 hours straight, wow) …
He didn’t give answers on the most important topic about current boredom :

“PD1: GW1 had hundreds of skills for each of it’s classes. Can we expect skill additions for GW2 as well? If so, will they only be added in expansions? Are there plans to add them with major non-expansion content updates?”

(and moreover, PD1 to PD4)

I was waiting for this precise answer to know if I’d log on again …

People were so maniac with the gear questions that he duplicated the same answer about it around 10 times. I don’t play for gear, I play for playing the game. It’s crazy how majority of players are still obsessive with the shiny armor syndrome.

(edited by kineticdamage.6279)

stof.9341

Oh right, the destroyer core backpiece, and the destroyer lodestones rings, oh and the destroyer lodestone armor. Oh wait, there is none. :p

Not to mention this basically pidgeonholes you into farming type X lodestones. Or farming for gold to get lodestones. Hell you might not even like the destroyer or corrupted gear.

Sure you’re right, it does indeed “fill the time-gap” But it certainly doesn’t have the content to go with that gap.

And 3-4 full sets of different stat builds is completely ridiculous. I already cant be bothered to change my armor every content piece I do and I only have two sets.

There’s more variety than that in mystic forge gear but meh. From expensive to cheap. You haven’t seen the Foe Fire’s Greatsword? The Ambrosia focus?

What if I want to change builds? I cannot use half my skills due to a lack of condition damage gear. I cannot use some traits due to a lack of healing power gear. All that grind hurts experimentation with builds.

What about the fact that all the efforts you put into exotics today are already planed to be wasted later? Why oh WHY must every grindy MMO in the planet make it 100% useless to gear with intermediary rarities because one you bind it, there’s no more use for it. Why couldn’t ascended rings be all crafted by upgrading a corresponding exotic ring with some common material drop from the fractals? For example, the vials of the mists aren’t RNG drops anymore, you get one guaranteed at the level 10 daily and you need 5 + 24 skill points + exotic ring + 50 T6 mat corresponding the the ring and bam, you got the ascended ring you wanted?

Why must ascended gear implementation mean that all my exotics I bought because I was under the impression they’d be the BiS in their class for a long time be now only worth the ectos I’ll get once I salvage them?

(edited by stof.9341)

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

I really liked the AMA and the responses.

The guy explained their thinking in detail, and answered a lot of very difficult questions quite openly. It was courteous to players while still being positive and decisive about GW2.

ArenaNet are the most communicative and honest MMO makers out there (alongside the people who made Rift). In comparison companies like Funcom, Bioware and Blizzard never admit mistakes and have a really arrogant and smug attitude.

People won’t be mad about the ascended items thing forever, it’s already just another part of the game.

The whining is only overshadowing what is a really good and open communication about what ArenaNet are doing with expanding the game and moving it forward.

Posted by: Ravina Gray.4719

Ravina Gray.4719

Hi Landeyda,

Thanks for taking the time to post your questions. Mike O will respond to the top question and I will respond to the bottom section.

Ascended Gear is designed to fill the ‘Time’ gap in regard to the distance between exotic and Legendary in terms of progression and in retrospect would have been better to have been rolled out pre launch.

I would also like add that we have never said there would be no vertical progression. We do intent to focus on horizontal but we will have vertical progression moving forward with the focus on zero grind and a very low power curve.

Please understand that we see the community as a ‘whole’ and therefore are not intending to design again for one specific type of player over another. This is a misconception and one that is not promoted by the team. We will continue to develop the game for the community as a whole offering game play that caters to lots of different types of players in a unified approach that will evolve over time based on feedback and the direction the team as a whole wants to take.

chris

This seems to me precisely what they did do. Design for one specific type of player with no feedback – just demands and once you start changing a game on the demand slope it’s impossible to please the community as a whole and never ending.

Ok so now we have vertical progression the next demand (already hitting the forums) make it easier… then it’ll be automatic dungeon finder, dedicated healers and tanks, mounts, gearscore, arena it’s a very slippery slope. And it’s a fact that Blizzard just do that stuff better shown by the customer base – all of the clones have (had) very small customer bases.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Without getting into the specifics of the questions/answers themselves, I just wanted to post in the chance that the staff involved would see my thanks for them doing this regardless. It’s nice to see some interaction like this, and it makes me think of the times when folks bombarded Gaile Gray with questions in Lion’s arch in Guild Wars and folks frantically screenshot’d the replies for the rest of the community.

I wonder if there’s ever a chance something like this would ever occur on the official forum and not over at reddit.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

I for one appreciate the effort Chris put in yesterday to set the record straight, but the game is still broke IMHO and we got a lot of words so at the moment I’ll be taking a pass until the game starts to look like something I want to invest my time in again.

I hope they pull it out of the fire, I really do I love the game, the combat , the look and the respect the game had to allow players to advance in the game regardless of how you want to play it. GW2 didn’t cater to just those that wanted to spend countless hours rerunning the same content and until it looks like that game again I’m out.

What still burns me is they knew this was going to cause a rift in the community, but they forced it out the door because they wanted to prove they could be “That Game” to a fan use to a particular MMO endgame. It’s difficult to trust a company again that throws its own ideologies out the door so quickly.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Oh I do love you guys. I really do. Forum users are the most diverse and entertaining of folk.

In an attempt to apply transparency to the many, MANY, complaints (legitimate or not) they face the issue of being taken out of context or just straight up having their words twisted.

The answers are vague, but with half a brain it is obvious why they are. They are obviously trying to be as straight-forwards as they can be, but the future is not set in stone. They are continually working to amend the game in ways that they hope the community as a whole can manage and understand.

And, this might get me an infraction but…. could the 4-5 posters who I see smegging up every thread, every day, please just leave. kthxbye. It’s much more enjoyable to read thoughtful posts than copy-pasta.

edit: the kitten censor actually makes my post seem more obnoxious than it was so i’ve removed the words

(edited by Flynch.6034)

Azjenco.9425

Pointing out the very hard to get exotics isn’t exactly the best way to make your case.

Crafting an exotic is perhaps the easiest way, or acquiring those from the TP is perhaps even easier. 2-3 gold per piece, 6 pieces of gear, that’s about 12 to 18 gold, not too bad.
Or running a few dungeons each day, not too bad either, which is how I got my gear and that took me less than a week. Karma is perhaps the hardest, then again, you get karma when doing dungeons and from dailies. It takes around 46 karma jugs, along with the 10 you get for your monthly, it’ll take you less than a month to acquire. If you use a boost, even less.

For the end all gear, a week up to a month isn’t all that bad. From there it’s all cosmetics. Right now, ascended takes a whole lot more to get.

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

stof.9341

Pointing out the very hard to get exotics wont exactly win your case.

Why?

Crafting an exotic is perhaps the easiest way, or acquiring those from the TP is perhaps even easier. 2-3 gold per piece, 6 pieces of gear, that’s about 12 to 18 gold, not too bad.

I’m not living in the same world than you then. For me a full set is at minimum 3 weapons, 6 armor parts and 5 trinkets for a total of 14 items at 2-3 gold each.

Or running a few dungeons each day, not too bad either, which is how I got my gear and that took me less than a week. Karma is perhaps the hardest, then again, you get karma when doing dungeons and from dailies. It takes around 46 karma jugs, along with the 10 you get for your monthly, it’ll take you less than a month to acquire. If you use a boost, even less.

Once again, you forgot that gear isn’t limited to just the armor. But hey, I’m guilty of that too. I forgot how much the runes cost too. The most common choices are, strangely enough, the most expensive by far. Some rune sets cost as much as a full set by themselves.

For the end all gear, a week up to a month isn’t all that bad. From there it’s all cosmetics. Right now, ascended takes a whole lot more to get.

This only gives you ONE set of stats. How can you experiment with stats and builds when it takes you 50g to buy a full set of a specific stat? Try with rares? But if the result is that the build isn’t working that well, is that the fault of the build or of the weaker stats from rares?

Your berserker gear isn’t survivable enough for dungeons? Just go grind 50g, buy some power/toughness/vitality and try if it works better! Ah, you just noticed that you don’t gain very much survivability with it but the damage output has been reduced significantly? Well you got a chance at getting ectos and ori with that set! It’s not all wasted see? And you’ll save 80% of the runes you used too! Aren’t they so kind?

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Well, I read the AMA text.

TL:DR – ArenaNet is going to do what it wants with Ascended gear, no matter what anyone says, and they won’t grow a spine and actually stick to any principles. They’re wishy-washy, difficult to pin down, and don’t appear to have a clue.

I’m done here. Goodbye ArenaNet and GW2. I waited patiently for this AMA in the (vain) hope you’d realize that the game you sold me and the game you have now are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I’m sick at heart that I was actually stupid enough to spend money in your gem store thinking that this was going to be a long-term game for me.

Boy, was I a sucker.

Enjoy your $40. It’s the last you’ll ever get from me, and hopefully many other people. You don’t deserve it.

Not that you will read this, or care. You’ll just ignore this thread until you think you can get away with locking and deleting it. You’ll give virtual “infractions” to anyone who speaks up against the about-face in principles that you just performed.

Point is, you don’t care any more about your game. And your target audience is clearly not your original Guild Wars fan base.

Yes, I’m angry and disappointed and frustrated. I’ve wasted money and time on yet another RIFT/Aion/SWTOR type crap game.

The Spirit of Guild Wars died on 15 November 2012. RIP

Edit: Added an afterthought.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Flynch.6034

TL:DR – ArenaNet is going to do what it wants with Ascended gear, no matter what anyone says, and they won’t grow a spine and actually stick to any principles. They’re wishy-washy, difficult to pin down, and don’t appear to have a clue.

I’m done here. Goodbye ArenaNet and GW2. I waited patiently for this AMA in the (vain) hope you’d realize that the game you sold me and the game you have now are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I’m sick at heart that I was actually stupid enough to spend money in your gem store thinking that this was going to be a long-term game for me.

Boy, was I a sucker.

Enjoy your $40. It’s the last you’ll ever get from me, and hopefully many other people. You don’t deserve it.

Not that you will read this, or care. You’ll just ignore this thread until you think you can get away with locking and deleting it.

Yes, I’m angry and disappointed and frustrated. I’ve wasted money and time on yet another RIFT/Aion/SWTOR type crap game.

The spirit of Guild Wars died on 15 November 2012. RIP

That’s strange, because out of the many replies that I read on reddit, the major repeating statement made by Chris was that they felt the implementation was a mistake and that they are trying to rectify the situation.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Boy, was I a sucker.

Not that you will read this, or care. You’ll just ignore this thread until you think you can get away with locking and deleting it.

That’s strange, because out of the many replies that I read on reddit, the major repeating statement made by Chris was that they felt the implementation was a mistake and that they are trying to rectify the situation.

if they manage to, they will restore much of the faith and respect many players lost in them…
But we need facts and not words .-.

Fixes are not hard also…
Just made ascended gear easy to get as exotic….despite i spent all i have to buy/farm mats for the backpack i would gladly accept that.

If people wants a status symbol it should be legendaries and be only aestethic.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Flynch.6034

Boy, was I a sucker.

if they manage to, they will restore much of the faith and respect many players lost in them…
But we need facts and not words .-.

Fixes are not hard also…
Just made ascended gear easy to get as exotic….despite i spent all i have to buy/farm mats for the backpack i would gladly accept that.

If people wants a status symbol it should be legendaries and be only aestethic.

We shall see how it pans out. I’m 100% behind the no-grind guys and I agree completely with the philosophy that it should be enjoyable to get the items and not a massive time-sink.

I also believe that Anet do not want this introduction of gear to be a massive time-sink, but currently my most basic hope is that the community will appreciate that they are people, they make mistakes, and mistakes are easily fixed.

Azjenco.9425

Pointing out the very hard to get exotics wont exactly win your case.

Why?

Because the problem a lot of people have with ascended gear is that it’s the next level on the power plateau. And getting there is a huge schlep. With exotics, you only need the easiest to find exotic items, no matter how ugly and undesirable you find it, because from there you just need to find the look you want.

Two places I missed though. Yeah, trinkets I kinda forgot about. I think some of mine are still rare or even masterwork. For some reason I don’t care a whole lot about them, but that doesn’t mean others feel the same, so yeah, my bad.

The other one is stat builds. For me this isn’t huge either, because I’m very flexible around my stats. I want my armor to be something specific, then I fine tune my traits. But again, that represents me, and not everyone.

I know exotics seem a huge schlep, and I’d like the game to have great variety to obtain those across the board, and then worry about looks.

Ascended gear should differentiate their way of acquisition, I think. There should be the one way to get exotics, which is the easier path of least resistance. And the ascended gear should have the deeper, more thorough way of acquiring your goal.

I really don’t mind having to play a lot to get what you want, I mean that’s what it’s all about. The more you play the more you’re rewarded. When it starts feeling like work (a grind) to get items, then the game is failing. This is what I think Chris was referring to last night. This is what they’re working towards, which is also why legendary items are getting a rework and a scavenger type of system.

This is what it should be like:
Exotics – Moderate play
Ascended – A lot of play
Legendary – Dedicated play
Play should never be replaced with work/grind/hassle/deep pockets.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

I went in with fairly low expectations, but I will say that I was somewhat pleasantly surprised. I’m impressed that Chris was willing to stick around for so many hours, and was willing to discuss the serious issues. Great job, sir.

Many of the answers were ambiguous, of course, but I certainly feel like I got a sense of the direction they are trying to move in, and I also definitely feel better that ArenaNet was willing to admit they made a mistake and apologize. Color me slightly impressed.

I’ll be managing my expectations more carefully in the future, but I’m cautiously optimistic based on what I heard last night. I’m hoping their goal of improving communication overall actually comes to fruition. It REALLY helps to have some idea of what’s going on behind the scenes and in their heads.

stof.9341

Two places I missed though. Yeah, trinkets I kinda forgot about. I think some of mine are still rare or even masterwork. For some reason I don’t care a whole lot about them, but that doesn’t mean others feel the same, so yeah, my bad.

If you don’t care for your gear, why discuss with people that care?

This is how it should be like :
1 set of Exotics – Moderate play
2 sets of Exotics per chars with 3 chars – A lof of Play
1 Legendary – Dedicated play

This is how it is now :
Motivation to farm multiple sets and gear up alts to vary the experience : 0

Posted by: kistell.5684

kistell.5684

Boy, was I a sucker.

Not that you will read this, or care. You’ll just ignore this thread until you think you can get away with locking and deleting it. You’ll give virtual “infractions” to anyone who speaks up against the about-face in principles that you just performed.

Point is, you don’t care any more about your game. And your target audience is clearly not your original Guild Wars fan base.

Second this post.

I was holding off for the AMA and it was exactly as i had expected, sufficient to say GOOD BYE.

As for Anet you will no-longer get any more funds from me ever again. I applied for a refund and was refused a refund on my game but told i could get refunded on all my gem purchases but they would PERMANENTLY BAN my account.

Well your idle threats mean nothing i have instructed them to do so id rather have some thing back than have egg on my face for believing the manifesto which was sold to the user base, when behind the scenes they knew it was just PR spin and totally untrue.

Good bye and i have the others staying enjoy it, and for those who tell people good riddance don’t forget the more people who leave the more you destroy your own community, although fan boys like that are to daft to understand that.

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

That´s one of the points I don´t understand: he knows it´s an awfull grind and he must have known it before – but why did they make it such a grind then?

He also stated they MIGHT make it less of a grind, not that they certainly will if they find other ways around it. In my eyes there´s still a chance we´ll get only alternative ways of grinding.

Flynch.6034

That´s one of the points I don´t understand: he knows it´s an awfull grind and he must have known it before – but why did they make it such a grind then?

He also stated they MIGHT make it less of a grind, not that they certainly will if they find other ways around it. In my eyes there´s still a chance we´ll get only alternative ways of grinding.

Perhaps they simply underestimated the level of backlash they expected, or they dun goof’d.

I suspect they balls’d up the metrics and now are back-pedalling. Which is awesome imo as this means they appreciate their mistake and they appreciate the community.

The issue surrounding ‘grind’ is that it is completely subjective. If someone does not enjoy the game, but instead plays it anyway just because they have nothing else going on, then they will class killing more than 5 mobs in a 5 minute window a ‘grind’

(I’m not even poking fun at anyone here, i’m being serious)

And if someone is enjoying the game and taking it slow or whatever, logging on for a couple hours here and there, then killing 5 mobs in a 5 minute window is not a grind.

There is no way to appease the millions of players at once. Hell, WvWvW could be seen as a grind if someone does it purely for tokens.

edit: hungover typing ftw

Posted by: Razarei.2809

Razarei.2809

OH my god LEAVE the ascended horse alone. It’s dead, stop beating it. This was a great AMA and you doomsayers can either leave or stay. Either way most of us who have a brain won’t care about your selfish ways.

I feel sorry for Chris having to apologize on behalf of himself and the company for issues and exploits and segregation brought on by the players themselves. Even before the patch there was constant segregation.

The lack of intelligence in this whole thread is just outstanding.

Elementalist – Blárp, Razarei, 55HPMonk, Need More Defense
Revenant – Master Blárp [Desolation]

Azjenco.9425

If you don’t care for your gear, why discuss with people that care?

This is how it should be like :
1 set of Exotics – Moderate play
2 sets of Exotics per chars with 3 chars – A lof of Play
1 Legendary – Dedicated play

This is how it is now :
Motivation to farm multiple sets and gear up alts to vary the experience : 0

Nice going, taking that completely out of context. Did I say I don’t care about gear? Nope, so thanks for making your own assumptions, because that always goes down well in a discussion. In fact, I tried to be civil, but you’re making it difficult if you’re going to be kittening rude.

I even said I collected an entire dungeon set, and I’m still refining my look. So remind me how I “don’t care for my gear”. Trinkets aren’t cosmetic, so to me they are secondary. Once I have my gear stats and look down, then I’ll start worrying about accessories.

And no, the points I gave and you replied to aren’t quite accurate as the game stands at the moment. Right now it’s more like:
Exotics – Moderate play
Exotics for three characters = 3x the amount of play for each character, and I fail to see how this is a problem if you’re going to play with your alts…
Ascended – Grinding/paying a lot
Legendary – Grinding even more/paying crap loads/decent amounts of luck

Very little about ascended items and legendary items promotes play, it’s far more geared towards grinding

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

Posted by: Razarei.2809

Razarei.2809

Oh I do love you guys. I really do. Forum users are the most diverse and entertaining of folk.

In an attempt to apply transparency to the many, MANY, complaints (legitimate or not) they face the issue of being taken out of context or just straight up having their words twisted.

The answers are vague, but with half a brain it is obvious why they are. They are obviously trying to be as straight-forwards as they can be, but the future is not set in stone. They are continually working to amend the game in ways that they hope the community as a whole can manage and understand.

And, this might get me an infraction but…. could the 4-5 posters who I see smegging up every thread, every day, please just leave. kthxbye. It’s much more enjoyable to read thoughtful posts than copy-pasta.

edit: the kitten censor actually makes my post seem more obnoxious than it was so i’ve removed the words

This, so this. This is why I couldn’t represent a company. I’d want to slap everyone who asks me something stupid or twists my words for the sake of their own beliefs.

I have to say, I have learned a lot about life from this AMA- People are kittens.

And annoying.
And spoilt.
And attention seekers.

Elementalist – Blárp, Razarei, 55HPMonk, Need More Defense
Revenant – Master Blárp [Desolation]

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

It’s kinda nice that they are owning up to some of the poor design choices they made but most of them were so blatantly bad that they make me doubt their foresight or even common sense.

Good intentions aside, they better learn from all of this and avoid releasing such kitten, half-baked content in the future. Also they better rectify said issues/bugs/imbalances fast since a lot of great games are getting released for the holidays and players’ good faith and patience is running out.

I’m still not sure how obtaining ascended gear bridges the time gap between exotics and legendaries by the way. It’s not like ascended are precursors or anything. If nothing the ectos and mats you have to spend on getting the ascended could have gone towards obtaining your legendary. It actually broadens the gap. Hopefully they will reduce the mat cost and add alternative methods of obtaining them like they said and soon for that matter.

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

The AMA was just PR bullkitten and lies.

Any person who followed the developement of the game and read the manifesto (and remembers it) knows.

Ditton.3149

So … while I salute Chris ultra dedication for this AMA (9 hours straight, wow) …

“PD1: GW1 had hundreds of skills for each of it’s classes. Can we expect skill additions for GW2 as well? If so, will they only be added in expansions? Are there plans to add them with major non-expansion content updates?”

People were so maniac with the gear questions that he duplicated the same answer about it around 10 times. I don’t play for gear, I play for playing the game. It’s crazy how majority of players are still obsessive with the shiny armor syndrome.

He said in a post that class changes, balances, bugs, PvP and WvW were all handled by a different department and he didnt want to give answers he was not sure of, but would try to get separate AMA’s for all of those parts of the game as well.

Posted by: kineticdamage.6279

kineticdamage.6279

He said in a post that class changes, balances, bugs, PvP and WvW were all handled by a different department and he didnt want to give answers he was not sure of, but would try to get separate AMA’s for all of those parts of the game as well.

Ah, thank you Ditton I saw the PvP part, but didn’t see it was concerning the core fight mechanics too.
Thanks.

Flynch.6034

The AMA was just PR bullkitten and lies.

Any person who followed the developement of the game and read the manifesto (and remembers it) knows.

So he was lying about them realising they made mistakes with the implementation of the new content and that they want to make changes to future content to ensure this doesn’t happen again?

Ok then.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Try this:

“We wanted Ascended gear to not be easy to obtain, but we kinda overshot the mark. We’re looking at it again, stay tuned.”

Which means, naturally, they may decide “heck with it, just leave it, it’s not worth riling the community up yet again”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Ditton.3149

Boy, was I a sucker.

Second this post.

I was holding off for the AMA and it was exactly as i had expected, sufficient to say GOOD BYE.

As for Anet you will no-longer get any more funds from me ever again. I applied for a refund and was refused a refund on my game but told i could get refunded on all my gem purchases but they would PERMANENTLY BAN my account.

Well your idle threats mean nothing i have instructed them to do so id rather have some thing back than have egg on my face for believing the manifesto which was sold to the user base, when behind the scenes they knew it was just PR spin and totally untrue.

Good bye and i have the others staying enjoy it, and for those who tell people good riddance don’t forget the more people who leave the more you destroy your own community, although fan boys like that are to daft to understand that.

Actually the better the game becomes the more people will come in, but you can keep spouting incessantly negative speculation if you like. Good bye, wish you well.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

….

Hopefully then they ll still answer the most important question E7, I would really dislike it if the new story also contains Trahearne.

Flynch.6034

….

Hopefully then they ll still answer the most important question E7, I would really dislike it if the new story also contains Trahearne.

I really, really, really hope Trahearne is never featured as a prominent part of the storyline in future and i’d willingly pay £100 to have him removed from his lofty and undeserved status in the current storyline.

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Lies? Well, not entirely. When they desecrated the Manifesto, yes, I agree. However, now, they did show you their plans. Not in direct terms, but they’re are all on the table.

They told you straight up that they won’t be adding a “new” Rarity of Gear, “such as” ascended.

But “legendary” is not a “new” Rarity of Gear, right?

They have told us, in sly wording, what none of us wanted to hear. Legendary gear will be the ultimate cap. It’s just not coming this year, and there will be other ways than dungeon grinding to achieve it.