AN please add more skins NOT outfits!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arisen.2560

Arisen.2560

New Slayer outfit? It looks awesome indeed! Yes I like it but I just want part of these armour parts to be used as my mix-mathced customized sets. I hate when I’m forced to wear whole parts as a set just for shoulders or helmets. Currently available skins in a gemstone is outdated. Seriously add more skins for better armour customization, not whole outfits.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

This has been a topic that has come up numerous times on these forums, and typically it comes up more frequently around the release of a new outfit.

Unfortunately, despite the frequency of this topic and the regularity of more armor requests, ANet has shown little interest in adding new armor. Even the amount of new sets added in the expansion was relatively low and as far as I am aware, they are against adding new armor sets to the gem store as a whole.

It is unfortunate because more customization is better. I don’t think I’ll ever buy any of the new outfits that come out, no matter how good they look, simply because of their shortcomings.

Posted by: grizlo.5826

grizlo.5826

Oh I second this the new outfits look great but i simply don’t want to be locked to the whole thing. It’s such a shame I would have bought quiet a few of them for one part of them.

Arisen.2560

Man, this is the time when Anet really should reflect players’ demands.

Posted by: Cyrotek.7019

Cyrotek.7019

I aggree. I even think more people would buy this stuff if it wasn’t “all or nothing”.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

They dont do this out of spite, they do it because outfits are easier to design because they dont have as much clipping issues as mix and match armor skins.
If they release armor skins in game, its usually single skins and mostly gloves, helmets or shoulders and weapons.
Chest pieces and pants generate too much clipping issues.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Hear hear. More skins, less outfits. Outfits form Clone Wars 2. We all literally look the same minus dyes. With skins we can mix and match.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

They should have just taken my suggestion and let us mix and match outfit with armor skins…

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Manthas.6234

Manthas.6234

The amount of armor skins we got with the expansion really troubles me. The game started with the huge amount of armor skins and that was a really nice surprise. Now it seems like most of the designers were fired or left the company.
The excuse to add more outfits instead of skins because of clipping issues seems like a joke to me. If some pieces doesn’t match that good, we could always try another piece, at least that’s what I do.
Another excuse about outfits being easier to make is just another joke. As I said, at release we got a great amount of skins. I don’t know how hard it was to develop those and I don’t really care. They’ve already did this before, it can’t be any harder to do this now.
I understand its all about the profit and outfits might be more profitable. But getting lazy and creating skins just for a quick cash doesn’t really improve this game. We all want gw2 to improve, but now I feel that developers are just sitting there waiting for my money. I don’t like that feeling.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

They’re adding outfits because they can sell them in the gemstore for $9 each, or stuff them into a forced bundle with unwanted junk for $25. Anet stated a while ago that they wouldn’t be putting any more armor sets/skins in the gemstore, so this is what we get. It lets them keep their word, while being greedy at the same time.

Yeah, Anet is a company and companies exist to make profit. But there needs to be some sense of balance between the profiteering and giving some value and appreciation to customers. kitten expansion added a month or two worth of new armor sets and weapon skins. In fact, I think we’ve already seen more skins added via the gemstore (counting BL weapons, because they are gemstore skins) since HoT’s release, than the expansion itself added.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Armors instead outfits would be better for players, at least we could mix skins.

For what it seams, anet is doing outfits trough TP and armor skins trough pve farm.

Thanks, but change once in a while please.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

This has been a topic that has come up numerous times on these forums, and typically it comes up more frequently around the release of a new outfit.

I could set my watch by it, honestly. It’s tiresome. -_-

The previous director responsible for this has said:
Skins are in game content.
Outfits are gem store.

There are likely some technical limitations for the separation.
But, there’s a new person in the director’s chair, so maybe that will change.

It does seem like a better monetization plan to sell Outfits as a whole piece and unlock individual skins to go with it, so I hope they’re investigating that as an option.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Why not both? I like skins and outfits.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

They dont do this out of spite, they do it because outfits are easier to design because they don’t have as much clipping issues as mix and match armor skins.

Monk outfit says hi. :\ Remember the big kerfluffle over phantom legs and gigantic hips on female humans? I think it also hit the Norn gals too.

The sniper outfit on Charr also says hi. It clips with my face.
My. Face.

If they’re going to justify “no clipping” as an excuse, they could at least do the job right.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Nadesh.7953

Nadesh.7953

Outfits are nice but I would like to see some armors too.

An idea for the outfits (this was suggested before) would be to have an option to turn on an off the helm, apart from the gear option. This would let us use our current helm instead of the one of the outfit, and if we don’t want any then turn off both.

This idea would also help to prevent some visual bugs like display the outfit’s helm underwater.

Another idea could be the oposite. Besides of the option to turn off the outfit’s helm, they could add an option to display only the outfit’s helm.

Any of this is a solution but at least would give some flexibility.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Too much work, won’t happen.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

They dont do this out of spite, they do it because outfits are easier to design because they dont have as much clipping issues as mix and match armor skins.
If they release armor skins in game, its usually single skins and mostly gloves, helmets or shoulders and weapons.

Wanze, I thought they did it because players asked them not to sell armors in the gemstore? I’ve heard that repeatedly. Is it not true? And, assuming for the moment that it is, knowing that they are a company that exists to make money, anyone who thought we would then see more armor skins via in-game means was being naive.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Especially after an expansion…

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Didn’t they say that they were not going to make anymore armor skins, those would only be obtainable in game, and werebow spolely focusing on outfits for the gemstone?

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

(edited by TheLastNobody.8319)

Arisen.2560

Arisen.2560

We all know that few clipping issues are forgivable and it’s been how long? Nearly 3 years after the launch and no new skins since the very first season. Primeval skin and Braham skin are still my top favourite armour skins now :/ I just feel like that they are not ambitious at all into their games. I’m feeling that they are becoming lazier.

Wanze.8410

Wanze, I thought they did it because players asked them not to sell armors in the gemstore? I’ve heard that repeatedly. Is it not true? And, assuming for the moment that it is, knowing that they are a company that exists to make money, anyone who thought we would then see more armor skins via in-game means was being naive.

i dont think they really released more armor skins in the gem store than they released in game. I think its 6 for each armor class in the store and probably about the same in game, if not more.
Im not too big on style but single armor skins are probably pretty even as well or in favor of in game skins by now.

But everyone who thought we would get new armor sets in game at the same pace as outfits in the gem store, is being naive, yes.

Wanze.8410

We all know that few clipping issues are forgivable and it’s been how long? Nearly 3 years after the launch and no new skins since the very first season. Primeval skin and Braham skin are still my top favourite armour skins now :/ I just feel like that they are not ambitious at all into their games. I’m feeling that they are becoming lazier.

Halloween this year introduced 3 new single armor skins, thats half a set. Get 3 more with wintersday and its a full set.

Arisen.2560

And if they were intended to add new armours as part of expansion, not cash-grabbing merchandise, they should have added more variations. So far, I see four (Bladed set, Leystone set, guild set and finally mistward set). For my opinion, bladed set looks freaking ridiculous.
It doesn’t look authentic at all. I haven’t seen anyone equipping full set. Leystone? Yeah I would take only for helmet. The problem with these two sets are that they are excessively inclined to specific thematic area (bladed, rocky look) that it is really hard to mix-match with other styles. The only armour set I highly would recommend to have is Mistward armours. New guild armours look authentic though, yet it is guild armours, which becomes meaningless if player is not in a guild and prefer the solo play. New elite specialization armours? Oh yes, some of them look amazing such as Herald’s Shoulderplate and Reaper’s hood. They look kitten but as a warrior who chose berserker elite specialization, what do i get? A freaking skull helmet that look like a low-level bandit gear? Man you’ve got to be kidding!

Arisen.2560

Halloween this year introduced 3 new single armor skins, thats half a set. Get 3 more with wintersday and its a full set.

Arisen.2560

You sure that those are skins? Not outfits? If they were skins, I should be able to use parts of them separately as customized mix-match armour sets.

Wanze.8410

And if they were intended to add new armours as part of expansion, not cash-grabbing merchandise, they should have added more variations. So far, I see four (Bladed set, Leystone set, guild set and finally mistward set). For my opinion, bladed set looks freaking ridiculous.
It doesn’t look authentic at all. I haven’t seen anyone equipping full set. Leystone? Yeah I would take only for helmet. The problem with these two sets are that they are excessively inclined to specific thematic area (bladed, rocky look) that it is really hard to mix-match with other styles. The only armour set I highly would recommend to have is Mistward armours. New guild armours look authentic though, yet it is guild armours, which becomes meaningless if player is not in a guild and prefer the solo play. New elite specialization armours? Oh yes, some of them look amazing such as Herald’s Shoulderplate and Reaper’s hood. They look kitten but as a warrior who chose berserker elite specialization, what do i get? A freaking skull helmet that look like a low-level bandit gear? Man you’ve got to be kidding!

If you expect to like every new armor skin they introduce, you are being even more naive.

Wanze.8410

You sure that those are skins? Not outfits? If they were skins, I should be able to use parts of them separately as customized mix-match armour sets.

No, im not sure, because i dont know what you are talking about.
Maybe learn to quote posts you are referring to.

Arisen.2560

No actually, I think majority of people are not interested in most of fluffy outfits and even newly released armours except the Mistwards (seen tons of heavy armour classes wearing those). Half of new outfits released cannot be even seen being wore in my opinion. And of course I really have to be naive just for this time since I’ve been unsatisfied with most of outfits till now except the Slayer which looks awesome. I really want to stick to Fashion Wars 2 you know.

Arisen.2560

No, im not sure, because i dont know what you are talking about.
Maybe learn to quote posts you are referring to.

Arisen.2560

If you don’t know difference between outfits and skins, well then, so be it.

Wanze.8410

I know the difference and i was talking about the new halloween skins.

If you dont know how to quote, so be it.

Arisen.2560

I know how to quote, just feel no need to do it for you

Arisen.2560

Oh and as far as I know, there are no other Halloween skins beside weapons and separate shoulder skins which of course are not whole armour sets that I was referring to.

Wanze.8410

Oh and as far as I know, there are no other Halloween skins beside weapons and separate shoulder skins which of course are not whole armour sets that I was referring to.

You dont need whole armor sets, if you want to mix and match.
There was a helmet, shoulder and glove skin released with halloween.
Good luck.

Arisen.2560

You dont need whole armor sets, if you want to mix and match.
There was a helmet, shoulder and glove skin released with halloween.
Good luck.

Ya, the only helmet I liked was Grenth Hood and Stag Helmet. For shoulder, Slayer would be great but that’s just a whole outfit. Thnx for wishing me a “good luck” anyway.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Pretty sure Wanze was referring to these 3 skins, available in game (outside of the gemstore) :

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nightfury_Skin
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shackles_of_Madness_Skin
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Karka_Helm_Skin

Interesting to point out that once again, these armour pieces are just head, shoulders and gloves. Like Wanze said, chest and legs are a clip-fest waiting to happen. I can think of a few gem-store armour sets that have been just head, shoulders and gloves (and in one case, feet). Lawless, shadow of the dragon, Scarlet’s, Toxic… perhaps there are more.

Also, head, shoulders and gloves are pretty gender-netural (and apart from gloves, race-neutral too). Chest and leg pieces probably take the longest to design because there need to be multiple different designs to accomodate both male and female forms. I would imagine that there would be some altering (or lengthy design process) to ensure that a chest piece looks good on both the skinniest sylvari and the burliest norn.

What Wanze said in his previous posts (regarding clipping) is also very true. Outfits are far easier to make than full armour sets. My guess is that they also sell better because they’re slightly cheaper and any armour class can use them. Outfits appear as regularly as they do because they’re easier to make. You certainly can’t expect to see 3 armour skins in-game (one for each weight) in the same time you can expect to see one new outfit.

PS: To quote somebody, you hit the “quote user” button (looks like an arrow on the bottom right of the person’s post). You then get led to a proper reply box page (instead of the quick reply box you see at the bottom of the thread page). You can then write whatever you want underneath the text that’s already there. You don’t need to have the quote and your response in separate posts.

EDIT: Looks like you got your responses and learnt how to quote properly in the time it took me to write my response. Oh well. :P

Posted by: xcheese.6345

xcheese.6345

This has been a losing fight for over a year now. The fact of the matter is that it’s easy to make outfits (armor entails clipping), and anet has shown through all of its actions it’d rather do what’s easy than what’s good/right.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

This has been a losing fight for over a year now. The fact of the matter is that it’s easy to make outfits (armor entails clipping), and anet has shown through all of its actions it’d rather do what’s easy than what’s good/right.

Well, A-net is a business after all. They’re going to make the best move economically.

Not entirely discrediting the forum complaints about “not enough armours” here, but it’s not exactly a valid way of discerning whether outfits are more or less popular than armours.

My guess is that if they were to stop making outfits (to make armours), people would also be complaining a bunch, heck- maybe even more.

So, I would bet that outfits are ultimately more profitable and popular, considering that A-net have the metrics from the gem-store to work with, and are constantly churning out more outfits.

Arisen.2560

Pretty sure Wanze was referring to these 3 skins, available in game (outside of the gemstore) :

Interesting to point out that once again, these armour pieces are just head, shoulders and gloves. Like Wanze said, chest and legs are a clip-fest waiting to happen. I can think of a few gem-store armour sets that have been just head, shoulders and gloves (and in one case, feet). Lawless, shadow of the dragon, Scarlet’s, Toxic… perhaps there are more.

Also, head, shoulders and gloves are pretty gender-netural (and apart from gloves, race-neutral too). Chest and leg pieces probably take the longest to design because there need to be multiple different designs to accomodate both male and female forms. I would imagine that there would be some altering (or lengthy design process) to ensure that a chest piece looks good on both the skinniest sylvari and the burliest norn.

What Wanze said in his previous posts (regarding clipping) is also very true. Outfits are far easier to make than full armour sets. My guess is that they also sell better because they’re slightly cheaper and any armour class can use them. Outfits appear as regularly as they do because they’re easier to make. You certainly can’t expect to see 3 armour skins in-game (one for each weight) in the same time you can expect to see one new outfit.

PS: To quote somebody, you hit the “quote user” button (looks like an arrow on the bottom right of the person’s post). You then get led to a proper reply box page (instead of the quick reply box you see at the bottom of the thread page). You can then write whatever you want underneath the text that’s already there. You don’t need to have the quote and your response in separate posts.

EDIT: Looks like you got your responses and learnt how to quote properly in the time it took me to write my response. Oh well. :P

For quoting, that’s what i did in the end for proper replying to stop exchanging meaningless provoking. And for armour… come on it’s been over 3 years. They could have added at least 1 or 2 armour skins. I just felt like they are becoming lazier compared to very first season. If they’ve decided not make skins anymore, it cannot be helped but just like I’ve said few clippings do not matter as they are unavoidable.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

I bought one outfit. Found out how they work and will not buy another. Voting w/ my pocketbook.

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

Balthazar Skin – Take off your helmet and your head is suspended in orange colored air. Or.. “Yo dawg, we heard you like head so we put head on your head…”

Lyssa – Wings on your chest? And one gender gets only one wing.

Meldandru – Transformers Quintessons helmet.

Wanze.8410

For quoting, that’s what i did in the end for proper replying to stop exchanging meaningless provoking. And for armour… come on it’s been over 3 years. They could have added at least 1 or 2 armour skins. I just felt like they are becoming lazier compared to very first season. If they’ve decided not make skins anymore, it cannot be helped but just like I’ve said few clippings do not matter as they are unavoidable.

3 new armor skins and 4 new weapon skins earned in game during halloween was quite an improvement compared to earlier festivals.

Arisen.2560

3 new armor skins and 4 new weapon skins earned in game during halloween was quite an improvement compared to earlier festivals.

Anet is really into weapon skins that’s for sure. 3 armour skins is fine too, though they are not full armour sets. I remember there were standard lvl 80 exotic gears with mad king runes with no visual difference.

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

What do you play for on a daily basis?
Like what do you hope to achieve by sinking hours into the game?
You have all the gear you ever wanted?
What is left but fashion?

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

But we can expect the disparity to be far less severe. Maybe a new armor set for every 3-5 outfits. That would give us a few new sets a year, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

In 3 years, they managed to add only a couple sets that are obtainable ingame. I think it’s like 3 or 4 for the core game, and that’s being generous by including the brilliant/hellfire sets that very few, if any, have actually been able to get yet. We basically have the glorious sets from pvp, and the carapace sets from Silverwastes. I really don’t want to count luminescent, as it’s just carapace with a blue texture or shader effect over it. And it’s also only obtainable if you have LS2 unlocked, which is not free unless you were actively playing when it was released.

HoT gets us 2 new somewhat easily obtainable sets, and 2 more that are linked to guild halls and walled behind massive upgrade barriers (are these even full sets?). And at some point legendary armor will become obtainable.

Of course, during the first couple years a more reasonable selection of sets was added via the gemstore. But that was only way they were being added, which a lot of people didn’t like. Unfortunately for us, Anet’s “solution” to that was to go the greedy route and promise to keep the gemstore additions limited to outfits, and make new armor skins in-game items. They have technically kept their word, but completely ‘forgot’ to actually add armor sets to the game, in favor of simply cranking up the production rate of outfits they can sell for gems. HoT hasn’t even been out for 2 months yet, and they’ve already added more new outfits since its release than (realistically obtainable) armor sets included with it.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

“clipping” is a really really bad excuse.
some of the best armour in the game has clipping galore, arah sets for example.
Anet don’t care or they’d have changed them,
the players don’t care or they wouldn’t use them (and would complain)

i honestly can’t understand why they don’t release outfits as armour skins, they’d make so much more money,
for the small amount of additional effort involved in creating tooltips ad thumbnail art they’d end up making so much more money.

put it this way,
if outfits were armour skin sets i can’t really think of any that i wouldn’t have bought.
as it stands i bought 4-5 (long ago) and i don’t plan on buying any more.

c’mon anet , give us armour skin sets, make money, everyone is happy for once.
i don’t get their reluctance to sell us what we’re all eager to buy.
instead hundreds of hours are getting wasted on these outfits that the majority of players are sick to death of.
its beyond nonsense.

(edited by Liewec.2896)

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Balthazar Skin – Take off your helmet and your head is suspended in orange colored air. Or.. “Yo dawg, we heard you like head so we put head on your head…”

Lyssa – Wings on your chest? And one gender gets only one wing.

Meldandru – Transformers Quintessons helmet.

At the risk of sounding like an utter basement dweller, you’ve got the names wrong: Dwayna has the wings, Lyssa has the creepy faces.

In regards to the actual topic, at a certain level I can appreciate, even prefer that Anet keep full armor sets something acquired ingame as opposed to the gemstore. But of course, in order for this to work to, well, anyone’s satisfaction Anet need to actually start getting their backsides in gear and MAKE more armors, irregardless of the increased difficulty in comparison to outfits. I myself am very disappointed with the woeful lack of new skins, both armor and weapon, released in HoT.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: SqualZell.7813

SqualZell.7813

here is an idea,

break the outfits into slots
you still need to buy the whole thing for the same price, but you can pick and choose which goes where
so the chest of the slayer, the head of the cook the boots of the pirate… wtv.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

here is an idea,

break the outfits into slots
you still need to buy the whole thing for the same price, but you can pick and choose which goes where
so the chest of the slayer, the head of the cook the boots of the pirate… wtv.

…so basically skin packs without transmutation charge. Basically what i suggested way back when…