APACB-Choir Bells doing something about it

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vlad.1739

Vlad.1739

What this is about.

After listening to 3 people play their choir bells in Lion’s Arch at the same time I became annoyed at the lack of ability to tune them out. Choir bells add little to no value to the game and frankly only serve as an annoyance to other players the majority of the time.

What are us annoyed folks going to do about it?

Form a group APACB (Angry People Against Choir Bells) Our demands are simple, allow us to toggle off choir bell sound or make the item so only as to be heard by the players party or squad if a commander.

These demands have been made before and A-Net has done nothing about so we will force them to do something about it.

Just like every other bunch of angry people we form a mob and protest. You ask how? We use the very thing that annoys us the dreaded item known as the choir bell. Now that server guesting is implemented. We are able to group together and form a mob in LA on servers and spam those choir bells. A-Net will have to take notice and do something about those choir bells. The public will complain and we will tell them why we will put enough pressure on A-net to something about those unbreakable choir bells.

Once I gather like gather enough like-minded people we will form a guild and mobilize I will edit this post with details

Many people agree choir bells are annoying. A few reasons why many people find choir bells annoying: They are bells and their sound is not appealing as most musical instruments. People do not want to listen to bads play. Even if the player of the bell is good they are disturbing our game play environment and the feel of the game cities. Make our cities peaceful or else nobody will have any peace.

Finally if you support this cause post to keep this Thread up with how choir bells have annoyed you

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I waited forever for them to do the same thing with the Mad King costume’s annoying jokes, which can drive even Buddha to an insane rage when spammed.

As you can see, not much came of that wait, either. =D

Enjoy the bells!

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

I don’t… wait what? Are you serious?

If you are really annoyed by them, then go to an other city (all the towns have tp/bank/crafting) Or… or… Here is an idea: TURN OFF YOUR SOUND!

I’m a genious I know.

Yours,

A happy bell spammer

(edited by Humposaurus.5764)

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Or maybe you can just turn off sound when they’re annoying.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Scrooge has entered, stage left.

Seriously…mute your headphones.

Its not really that bad.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Tolmos.8395

If you are really annoyed by them, then go to an other city (all the towns have tp/bank/crafting) Or… or… Here is an idea: TURN OFF YOUR SOUND!

I’m a genious I know.

Yours,

A happy bell spammer

That really isn’t an acceptable solution under any circumstances. Players shouldn’t be able to grief others to the point of depriving them of being able to stand in the city they want and listen to the game’s ambient sounds and music. The fact that your suggestion is the only possible alternative at the moment shows exactly what is wrong with the current system, and exactly why a toggle should be made for town clothes generated sounds.

Vlad.1739

So how about I tell You to go play chess without the chess pieces sure you can use something else as the chest piece but it sure is not the same as playing chess. (not the best example but this gets the point across). You are asking me to alter my game due to an item introduced with little thought. A-net did something about town noise grief in guild wars 1 when people got mad and we are going to make them do something about it again. Your point is invalid the definition of being griefed is to be forced to alter your gameplay due to other player in a manner that is not intended or enjoyable to you. Sound is an important aspect of the game as it sets the mood of the city. In before people complain about NPC banter the lines are great and its A-Nets fault again if they say their lines to frequently.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

What this is about.

After listening to 3 people play their choir bells in Lion’s Arch at the same time I became annoyed at the lack of ability to tune them out. Choir bells add little to no value to the game and frankly only serve as an annoyance to other players the majority of the time.

What are us annoyed folks going to do about it?

Form a group APACB (Angry People Against Choir Bells) Our demands are simple, allow us to toggle off choir bell sound or make the item so only as to be heard by the players party or squad if a commander.

These demands have been made before and A-Net has done nothing about so we will force them to do something about it.

Just like every other bunch of angry people we form a mob and protest. You ask how? We use the very thing that annoys us the dreaded item known as the choir bell. Now that server guesting is implemented. We are able to group together and form a mob in LA on servers and spam those choir bells. A-Net will have to take notice and do something about those choir bells. The public will complain and we will tell them why we will put enough pressure on A-net to something about those unbreakable choir bells.

Once I gather like gather enough like-minded people we will form a guild and mobilize I will edit this post with details

Many people agree choir bells are annoying. A few reasons why many people find choir bells annoying: They are bells and their sound is not appealing as most musical instruments. People do not want to listen to bads play. Even if the player of the bell is good they are disturbing our game play environment and the feel of the game cities. Make our cities peaceful or else nobody will have any peace.

Finally if you support this cause post to keep this Thread up with how choir bells have annoyed you

I’m with you on this. “Turn off your sound”, from the mouths of players, is not an acceptable solution for bell spamming.

If this is ok, then it should be fine if I just open one end of a portal and leave it like that, over and over and over in town, so everyone can hear the feedback.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

#TeamJadeQuarry

ophidic.1279

Haha omg someone used the bell for good instead of evil!

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

That’s…AMAZING.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Choir bells are great but there really should be an option to turn off the sound. I cant be hard to add a new ‘volume control’ that includes all event items as they already have 5 different volume adjusts.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Its not really that bad.

No one should have to mute the game because 1 person wants to be annoying. Bells should only be heard by the player, or in the players group.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Tolmos.8395

Awesome video.

BUT, that video would still have happened regardless of whether other players could toggle a mute that relieves them of the incessant “DING DING DING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING
/gasp
DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING
/le draw in breath
OMGLISTENTOMYDINGSDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING
/herecomesthefinale
DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING”

>_>

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Saving my golds for bagpipes.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I just report them for harrassment/spamming, especially when they intentionally follow me around.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Deroy.2457

Deroy.2457

Really? Just got to another spot or mute your sounds.
What’s being requested in this thread is utterly selfish and and a real kick in the balls for the people who own a set of bells.

The bells aren’t even annoying to begin with and the fact you decided to stay around and listen contradicts everything.

Tolmos.8395

What’s being requested in this thread is utterly selfish and and a real kick in the balls for the people who own a set of bells.

So it’s not selfish for someone to expect other people to vacate areas or lose the ability to hear all music/ambient sound in the game because they want to spam “DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING” over and over? Instead, asking for a PERSONAL toggle which would stop the annoying town clothes sounds from being heard only by that single character is the selfish option?

All I can say to that is…

Attachments:

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

Vlad.1739

I was an unwilling audience near my bank. Pretty hard not to listen when they are in the middle of the MF and bank area. To all you defensive people out there stop barking nonsense. First you tell me to gimp my game and then attempt to use technicalities in the English language to warp what I have stated. I am not here for your politics. A-net stopped tonic sounds in town in GW1 they can fix this too. They just need a little push because they are lazy.

ophidic.1279

So it’s not selfish for someone to expect other people to vacate areas or lose the ability to hear all music/ambient sound in the game because they want to spam “DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING” over and over? Instead, asking for a PERSONAL toggle which would stop the annoying town clothes sounds from being heard only by that single character is the selfish option?

So it’d be ok to just walk up and call you names over and over again? I mean you can always just move or plug your ears, right?

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

So it’d be ok to just walk up and call you names over and over again? I mean you can always just move or plug your ears, right?

Oh wait, in real life that’s harassment and you can be arrested for it.

…and get your cutesy little image macros outta here.

Elyl Jrend

Tolmos.8395

I’m sorry, but… aren’t you agreeing with me?

Are you sure you’re replying to the right person?

Tolmos.8395

No, are you that self-absorbed?

What a strange little person you are.

I’m suggesting that they allow a toggle so that players can mute town clothes sounds, a FAR better solution than requiring them to vacate towns or mute ALL sounds simply because someone wants to follow them around going “DINGDINGDINGDING”.

You are suggesting…?

ophidic.1279

I don’t know anymore. All I know is people defending these spam buckets has gotten me all fired up! LOL

Elyl Jrend

Tolmos.8395

I don’t know anymore. All I know is people defending these spam buckets has gotten me all fired up! LOL

lmao I’m confused

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

Whenever a bell choir spammer comes near I just take out my trusty Greatsaw and just spin the noise away in a beautiful shower of loving engine blaring peace.

ophidic.1279

Regardless.
Anet should do something with these bells.

It doesn’t happen to me tons, but when it does… oh man. :P

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

lmao I’m confused

Well… sorry, if I gave you poop over the wrong thing!

Elyl Jrend

Tolmos.8395

lmao I’m confused

lol distension in the ranks! We won’t get far if our own front lines are fighting each other!

Now, reface the enemy and charge ahead. Remember our battle cry: “FOR PEACE AND QUIET!”

ophidic.1279

“FOR PEACE AND QUIET!”

Hahahaha yes!

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

lmao I’m confused

Well I never heard that phrase before. Internet you are indeed the teacher of all knowledge.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

In Lord of the Rings Online there’s an option to enable/disable any musical sounds coming from other players (this game also allows players to play musical instruments). I don’t see why the same option can’t be available here. I also don’t see why anyone would oppose such a suggestion. Telling people to move away or disable their game sound is about as unhelpful as telling people not to use their bells in the first place.

ophidic.1279

lmao I’m confused

Well I never heard that phrase before. Internet you are indeed the teacher of all knowledge.

I woulda’ said the adult ‘swear’ word which normally completes that phrase, but I figured they’d infract that, so I said “sorry to give you poop.”

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

In Lord of the Rings Online there’s an option to enable/disable any musical sounds coming from other players (this game also allows players to play musical instruments). I don’t see why the same option can’t be available here. I also don’t see why anyone would oppose such a suggestion. Telling people to move away or disable their game sound is about as unhelpful as telling people not to use their bells in the first place.

See there we go!

Also that’s neato that lotro has instruments. I remember playing Two Worlds and was kind of excited at the instruments, but the mini games for them were pretty hard. =/

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

I’m a genious I know.

Yours,

A happy bell spammer

That really isn’t an acceptable solution under any circumstances. Players shouldn’t be able to grief others to the point of depriving them of being able to stand in the city they want and listen to the game’s ambient sounds and music. The fact that your suggestion is the only possible alternative at the moment shows exactly what is wrong with the current system, and exactly why a toggle should be made for town clothes generated sounds.

you really want to listen to some of banal NPC chit chat? ‘whoever thought a government run by pirates would ever succeed?’ (that conversation makes me cringe everytime i hear it because of the ‘it would seem’ at the end; i dont even know why) or ‘your head looks funny’

i like the choir bells; if i see/hear someone playing one (nicely) i go and stand/sit by them and listen for a bit

if it were implemented that only one choir bell can be heard at once then thered be no chance of anyone forming up a choir bell band (which -if there isnt already- im hoping for)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: Avinz.2456

Avinz.2456

I like the choir bells. It’s nice to hear Zelda while I’m messing with my bank. I just hope they don’t make it so only the player can hear it as that would ruin it for those of us that like it.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

We need … the cone of silence!

Honestly, those things always pop up. Even listening to “for great justice” on cooldown all the time gets boring as well. Perhaps there could really be a sort of a “cone of silence” in the main areas around the bank etc.

Of course I’m all for individual toggles, might just be an easier solution to implement.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I guess I have had the good fortune to be around good players (of bells) so have been more delighted than annoyed. Not to derail the thread but annoyance for me is being in a fight where two players have a legendary GS. The entire fight is obscured—no enemies appear, no allies, just GS animations screen-wide. It’s worse than culling. Now that is annoying. How about an option to turn off legendary animations?

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

People will always be outrageous and even annoying, especially in large social settings like LA.

The best solution would be, as in Guild Wars, the ability to manually select one’s district. Was so nice to be able to get away from unpleasant people. Just ignore those that suggest muting your sound or leaving town, they’re being childish in that they want you to “deal with them”. That’s what I liked about Guild Wars, had a menu to stay where you are and leave them out.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

The best solution is to add more sound sliders to the game, let people chose what parts of the game they want to or don’t want to hear.

Don’t line bell sound effects or mad king thorn jokes, put in a sound slider for that.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

I haven’t seen the OPs problem, I rarely hear people playing the bells, and when they do they are attempting to play music. They don’t always do the best job of it, but there are other, more annoying methods to spam sound effects that don’t require the troll to spend a silver for every minute of trolling.

I would love more options, I am a pro-options kind of person, and while I probably wouldn’t adjust it myself I would be all for a volume slider for player made sound effects. Just for more ways to customize your play experience.

But bells seems to be a silly reason for it, and I would rather have the live dev team spend time working on important issues.

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

I was thinking of getting it for my Thief, or perhaps on my 2nd account and make a a bell + quip duet.

Oh man, I might just do that
checks Spidy for price

42g! not so bad after all, prepare citizens of LA!!

1+1 = potato

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Its not really that bad.

No one should have to mute the game because 1 person wants to be annoying. Bells should only be heard by the player, or in the players group.

Conversely…no one has any right to tell any other player who paid hard cash (just like you did) for the game how they can enjoy their time in game. If thats spamming choir bells, then so be it.

Aforementioned bells being a legit part of the game. I don’t like sunglasses and ballcaps either. But I’d never say anyone couldn’t sport em if they wanted.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Yours,

A happy bell spammer

Well, you make a great case for these guys by highlighting how you enjoy griefing people with the bell.

Here is an idea: play the bell sounds locally (ie on the bell player’s client) but not globally (ie everyone else’s client).

Or better yet, just put in a toggle.

I haven’t logged in in over three weeks now; have the bell players really gotten that bad? It was only a minor annoyance during Wintersday, and thankfully most of the initial people who shelled out for bells had at least some small amount of musical talent.

Conversely…no one has any right to tell any other player who paid hard cash (just like you did) for the game how they can enjoy their time in game. If thats spamming choir bells, then so be it.

And nowhere, or at least certainly not in non-PvP zones, should players be able to grief other players. Wasn’t that the whole point of multi-tagging mobs and personal gathering nodes?

You see the guy I quote; “go to another zone” and “turn off the sound” are his suggestions. That’s a pretty drastic effect to force on other players. If it was some sort of graphics-gasm that could push clients on low-end machines to crash, I’m sure they would fix it.

Aforementioned bells being a legit part of the game. I don’t like sunglasses and ballcaps either. But I’d never say anyone couldn’t sport em if they wanted.

Nothing about the sunglasses or ballcaps induce players to change their in-game behavior.

Impressive, but it’s not like other players in-game hear it that way.

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Awesome..so charming with the Ausran too hehe

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Seriously? You don’t even have to leave the town. You can only hear the bells if you’re within a certain distance from them.

Just move to a different spot until you can’t hear them anymore. Very cool bell videos!

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

So today, a mesmer was near the bank in LA today was spamming it’s # 1 great-sword for a good 30 mins before leaving. That swoosh sound really annoyed the kitten out of me. So like make a group stopping that, while we are at it, i shouldn’t have to listen to the human and asura talk about where the latrine is every 5 mins, let make a group for that, we can call it Constantly Raging Against the Potty.

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

First off:

The bells ARE annoying. As semi cool as playing “Still Alive” on the bells is, IT WAS THE MOST ANNOYING THING I EVER HEARD!

Secondly:

The people SICK of the bells are NOT ASKING FOR THE BELLS TO BE REMOVED! They simply want a FEATURE added to the game that when I ignore someone, then all sounds and SFX and chat is muted. It’s like they wouldn’t exist…

AND THAT IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE, since the bell would not be removed and those who find the bells annoying could have their peace.

Those who ring the bell earned what they have, but you CANNOT impede the fun or entertainment of somebody else. THAT IS GRIEFING. You know it, I know it.

Having a way to mute sounds from ignored players is just a compromise so that everyone would get what they want.

What does it hurt you if you like the bells and decided to spam it all day, but that guy doing some crafting at the tables has you on ignore? None. It hurts noone.

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

you really want to listen to some of banal NPC chit chat? ‘whoever thought a government run by pirates would ever succeed?’ (that conversation makes me cringe everytime i hear it because of the ‘it would seem’ at the end; i dont even know why) or ‘your head looks funny’

i like the choir bells; if i see/hear someone playing one (nicely) i go and stand/sit by them and listen for a bit

if it were implemented that only one choir bell can be heard at once then thered be no chance of anyone forming up a choir bell band (which -if there isnt already- im hoping for)

But there is an option in game already that you can mute NPC dialog. You don’t HAVE to listen to that convo if you don’t want to. YOU CAN MUTE IT. But except for muting sounds, you can’t turn off bells because its a weapon.

The problem with the bells is that they are dissonant with everything. Every tone was murder to the trained musicians ear. If the sounds were angelic, smooth, in harmony even soothing, it would be less of an issue. But the people spamming are doing so because it is annoying and THEY KNOW IT! That is why they are doing it. To GRIEF people. And I feel, while extreme that the OP and those who’ve preceeded him are well within their rights to be annoyed and want some action.

After all, as someone else already pointed out, A.Net removed the “CITIZENS!” from the game BECAUSE IT WAS ANNOYING! Why should bells be any different?