Account Actions and 6 month suspensions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Since there has been a lot of chatter about account actions lately, I’ll go ahead and answer some common questions that have popped up.

Why 6 months, why not Permanent?
This would imply that some accounts are not being permanently banned, and that’s not true.

When looking at what action is given to an account, the intent of the behavior is taken into account, and will it likely be continued if the player were to return. There is very sound data to support that players that know they will be able to get their accounts back are significantly less likely to resort to the same behavior quickly (aka buying a new account and botting/cheating on that).

The main goal with performing an action on anyone’s account (that isn’t directly related to RMT) is to correct that behavior, not remove the player. If a player returns after any suspension and continues to break the rules, there is a good chance that they will no longer have that chance to come back again with that account.

When the intention of the behavior that breaks our rules is entirely malicious towards our playerbase or our game, we won’t be granting any sort of chance to return.

Does this mean that if someone botted they get to keep everything?
Absolutely not, in most cases we are attempting to remove what we can before the player returns. However, there are just going to be some things we can’t remove.

While it is very true that there is a possibility that that player gained an advantage for a short period of time that they were able to break the rules, a 6 month suspension carries with it a significant enough penalty to offset that

How about previous actions before this was implemented, are they going to be treated the same?
That entirely depends on the action in question. At the time of previous account actions, the actions taken on accounts were deemed appropriate for the offense, which means they will stand.

A good example of this in action would be this:
Currently many states (in the US) consider any theft over $500 to be a felony. Back in 1916, a theft was considered a felony at ~$20.

The game is much different than it was 3 years ago (which might as well be 100 years for a MMO).

If you have any questions about a specific account action, you can feel free to open a ticket with Customer Support.

What do you mean the last year? 6 Month bans haven’t started until the end of last year.
We have been using suspensions for RMT Gold buying for over a year now. Data shows that these suspensions are very effective and are performing the desired effect of stopping repeat buyers from purchasing.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

From the company’s point of view I can certainly see why you wouldn’t perma ban a gold buyer as they’re likely to buy gems legally and sellers perma ban is obvious. I haven’t had to try 6 times to get into a JP since your ban wave so I guess you nabbed a truck load, GG.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

… Dhuum? Please?
/puppy eyes

Posted by: Dreggon.6598

Dreggon.6598

For newly-released content, how are we the players meant to distinguish between intended features and unintended interactions?

I remember people getting banned back at the launch of the game for selling karma-made cooking items for coins, and racial armor being really cheap, and snowflake salvaging, etc. Would you still ban for things like that if they happened again?

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

From the company’s point of view I can certainly see why you wouldn’t perma ban a gold buyer as they’re likely to buy gems legally and sellers perma ban is obvious. I haven’t had to try 6 times to get into a JP since your ban wave so I guess you nabbed a truck load, GG.

I would want to see your face 6 months from now, when you will see that truckload of players coming back and wearing the skin of Wintersday you did not manage to obtain, because of them.

@Chris Cleary: Thank you.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

… Dhuum? Please?
/puppy eyes

Why not just make the toon an enemy to all? Wouldn’t that be an interesting way to get banned?

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Player caught bot or cheat if only suspend should also get account reset to no thing. Lose all gold, character, achievement, stuff. This way is between suspend and ban. If want to play again after suspend can do but have to start over. Do not do much good if cheater have 1,000 gold of thing in bank before they cheat and get to keep. Never know if they make that while cheat before caught. Make cheater start like new account if want to play again.

Cheater probably not person that buy gem with money. So no reason to welcome back after suspend unless just want number of people play GW2 for report. If you want this cheater back for number of player play GW2 then make start over with nothing on account.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Alin.2468

6 months is OK.
After 6 months they will come back, wearing all the rewards you did not obtain (because of them), and that will motivate all players to continue the fun with honesty, hard work, and non-automated grind.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

… Dhuum? Please?
/puppy eyes

Why not just make the toon an enemy to all? Wouldn’t that be an interesting way to get banned?

that would be funny
but the banned play shouldnt be able to deal damage then ofc

just like the Silverwastes bugged Bandit buff …
it made you attackable for other players while you coulnt attack anyone yourself^^

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Aidenwolf.5964

I would want to see your face 6 months from now, when you will see that truckload of players coming back and wearing the skin of Wintersday you did not manage to obtain, because of them.

I’m almost done with my 10k drinks I earned from doing the JP. Get on my level.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

There is no level to get on, drink prices might fall later on or the very next day and suddenly, it becomes a cheap cheap skin.

gaem not made for mi
===========

Aidenwolf.5964

There is no level to get on, drink prices might fall later on or the very next day and suddenly, it becomes a cheap cheap skin.

I don’t care what it costs I earned mine. I smell envy.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

Personally I think people who bot should be permanently ip banned but at least something is being done.

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Roxanne.6140

Don’t worry dear, I’m not interested in a cheap cheap skin. Deep down I am really shallow.

gaem not made for mi
===========

(edited by Roxanne.6140)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My hat is off to you. I’ve only managed to get about 5500 drinks so far. But I really really hate farming.

Aidenwolf.5964

Don’t worry dear, I’m not interested in a cheap cheap skin. Deep down I am really shallow.

No idea why you’re yapping in the first place but I’m sure with your months in game you could easily afford to buy it, I paid nothing for mine. So cheap.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Absolutely not, in most cases we are attempting to remove what we can before the player returns. However, there are just going to be some things we can’t remove.

“just going to be some things that we can’t remove”.

If this was a ban wave for the winters day jumping puzzle, that means that each of the banned accounts would have a total of around 20 items specifically that would need removal (that is if they were opening the gift loot at all). Most probably weren’t doing that, so there is only 1 item that needs to be removed from the accounts.
Your choice of words in this simple case tells me there’s going to be a solid spike of activity in Wintersday Present trading come early June.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Aidenwolf.5964

just going to be some things that we can’t remove”.

If this was a ban wave for the winters day jumping puzzle, that means that each of the banned accounts would have a total of around 20 items specifically that would need removal (that is if they were opening the gift loot at all). Most probably weren’t doing that, so there is only 1 item that needs to be removed from the accounts.
Your choice of words in this simple case tells me there’s going to be a solid spike of activity in Wintersday Present trading come early June.

Back on topic this is a very important question, what can’t be removed?

@Vayne thanks.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

@Vayne thanks.

I doubt they can remove achievement points and titles earned while botting/hacking.

Edit: might not be able to remove exp gained or progress through a mastery line either.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A good point, Flesh. That makes sense. But AP and titles don’t actually get you anything advantageous in game the way the botted gifts full of valuables do, so hopefully the ill-gotten gains that are actual gains will be removable.

Aidenwolf.5964

@Vayne thanks.

I doubt they can remove achievement points and titles earned while botting/hacking.

Which would include the skin likely as it’s in the wardrobe and equally tricky.

PugLife SoloQ

(edited by Aidenwolf.5964)

Just a flesh wound.3589

@Vayne thanks.

Which would include the skin.

If the skin is in the wardrobe it probably can’t be removed without rolling back the account. Same would be for any progress on how many alcohol used or if they got the JP achievement. Physical items and wealth can be removed. I have doubts about their ability to remove progress or items now inside the UI, such as the wardrobe, without an account rollback.

ANet may give it to you.

Aidenwolf.5964

@Vayne thanks.

Which would include the skin.

If the skin is in the wardrobe it probably can’t be removed without rolling back the account. Same would be for any progress on how many alcohol used or if they got the JP achievement. Physical items and wealth can be removed. I have doubts about their ability to remove progress or items now inside the UI, such as the wardrobe, without an account rollback.

Ya just edited mine before you posted. That’s a shame as I’ve broken fingers going after mine.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

A 6 month suspension means they don’t get their daily AP, they don’t get their laurels (and other stuff), they don’t get to ‘advance’ their character, they don’t get to craft the daily timegated stuff. WE can.

Let them have their oh so precious skin, while they lose out on 6 months of playtime, we can have all that is obtainable ingame and have some fun . They either need to start over with a new account or wait and let us take them over by a long shot.

So who’s the smart ‘player’ now ? I think we are.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Plus they will come back tainted if they do come back. It is possible too that they will have lost any friends they had and perhaps their guild might have thrown them out as well. Who would want a cheater as a friend or guildie? They will have their Winters Day shoulders (if they get to keep them) in your summer. I don’t think anyone will be impressed.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

all for a pair of shoulders that are as ubiquitous as those crappy white wings..lol

Posted by: MarkoNS.3261

MarkoNS.3261

This is silly just perma ban every cheating “player” and be done with it.

Roxanne.6140

No idea why you’re yapping in the first place but I’m sure with your months in game you could easily afford to buy it, I paid nothing for mine. So cheap.

How’s it sound if I popped 1 copper into your polly pocket for daily farming of my home node instance?

gaem not made for mi
===========

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I think six months is harsh if the cheater only used the drinks to get the shoulder piece rather than a gold farm. Zeroing out the drink count if they hadn’t achieved it yet, removal of the shoulder piece if they had and a suspension until the event over would have been enough punishment for a first timer IMO as they didn’t hurt the economy.

That goes out the window as soon as they start selling drinks however as they are mucking with the economy and that affects everybody.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think six months is harsh if the cheater only used the drinks to get the shoulder piece rather than a gold farm. Zeroing out the drink count if they hadn’t achieved it yet, removal of the shoulder piece if they had and a suspension until the event over would have been enough punishment for a first timer IMO as they didn’t hurt the economy.

That goes out the window as soon as they start selling drinks however as they are mucking with the economy and that affects everybody.

Every gift farmed via botting hurts the economy.

• If they keep/use all the contents of the gifts, then they reduce demand.
  • Anything they sell increases the supply.

In both cases, the person using the hack enjoys the benefits at the expense of anyone else doing it legit.

Regardless, ANet chose 6 months because it’s effective in getting people to stop cheating. Too long and people buy new accounts and go back to their old behavior; too short and they are too tempted to try it again on the same account.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

TL:DR – We do not perm ban people any more (copied from wow!) to be able to fight the shrinking population of our players any time now or in future and keep the false impression that our game is alive.

This will bite the revenue of any company in long term because there are people who dislike the fact that there are people who broke the rules in the past and crippled their game experience in some way allowed to play again and didn’t even loose their PAID accounts. (loosing paid account served as punishment for their crimes where 6 months bans serves as vacation for them where they just play f2p account of other games meanwhile)

Example: Next time I see one of those fancy outfits at gemstore a bell will ring somewhere that will remind me that this company allow those people who broke the rules and negatively affected my gameplay in some way to play again without loosing any money for their actions and I will simply not buy any gemstore items till they are properly punished. (TL:DR – maybe devs will pay from their pockets for every player they didn’t properly punish!)

(this applies for every other online game)

(edited by Luna.9640)

Posted by: Earix.5684

Earix.5684

A good example of this in action would be this:
Currently many states (in the US) consider any theft over $500 to be a felony. Back in 1916, a theft was considered a felony at ~$20.

Oh good to know. So back in 1916, GW2 would have been considered a felony?

WvW player here. Couldn’t resist.

Earix – GvG Player – Druid / Soulbeast
Pirate Chips [LAYS] – Server Hopping (EU)

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

If they gave 6 months of ban for botting…they should revert all the perma bans on the forum to the same period. That would be fair

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Lol, yet another person who doesn’t realise that using the item instead of selling it is indeed “spending” money. You’ve literally “drank” away hundreds of gold.

Posted by: Grort.2750

Grort.2750

“just going to be some things that we can’t remove”.

Is it possible they could have sold a chunk of the presents ‘earned’ by botting, therefore requiring anet to try and figure out exactly how much gold they need to remove from the account.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Lol, yet another person who doesn’t realise that using the item instead of selling it is indeed “spending” money. You’ve literally “drank” away hundreds of gold.

As if making hundreds of gold was difficult to begin with?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Why are so many people assuming suspended accounts won’t get rolled back to the last backup made before Wintersday started? ANet removes gold from accounts that were purchased from gold sellers in addition to the suspension, it’s not going to be any different in this case.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why are so many people assuming suspended accounts won’t get rolled back to the last backup made before Wintersday started? ANet removes gold from accounts that were purchased from gold sellers in addition to the suspension, it’s not going to be any different in this case.

Because he said this

If they rolled the account back they wouldn’t have to attempt to remove what they can and there wouldn’t be some things they can’t remove.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Extremely, go try it in WvW.

I’m more concerned about the Resonating Sliver fiasco. Players whom bought slivers off the TP during that brief window gained a huge advantage.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Kittelinho.4958

Kittelinho.4958

you could do the same in guild wars 1. just an idea :P

echo.2053

Extremely, go try it in WvW.

I’m more concerned about the Resonating Sliver fiasco. Players whom bought slivers off the TP during that brief window gained a huge advantage.

you can go to eotm to make gold there and still be in wvw.

a huge advantage how? I stopped wvwing months ago – not in this loop. Why wvw pve for less gold when you can just regular pve while getting other players troll killed and still earn more gold?

Posted by: Stoaga.8190

Stoaga.8190

This is an improvement by the way. Not sperging out like hell and perma banning people left and right is what a professional company would do. Shame you guys didnt do the same in gw1 or earlier stages of gw2.

Alin.2468

From what I understand, Summer 2016 is perfect for completing Winter 2015, because many drinks will come back in Trading Post.

Thank you ArenaNet for decisions of 6 months suspensions. We will have many snowflakes and many winter drinks in summer.

Just a flesh wound.3589

From what I understand, Summer 2016 is perfect for completing Winter 2015, because many drinks will come back in Trading Post.

Thank you ArenaNet for decisions of 6 months suspensions. We will have many snowflakes and many winter drinks in summer.

If ANet didn’t remove them first.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: xan.8936

xan.8936

This whole incident saddens me. A year ago I had all my chracters deleted ( 8 level 80s 3 map completion 3 legendaries, 4 ascended weapons, 2 full sets of ascended armor and all level 500 crafting disc. First reaction I thought someone hacked my account and went back and forth with CS for over six months. They assured me no one hacked my account and did not return anything.

All progress being lost forever I left guild wars after being an avid player for over eight years. One year later I finally found out what happened. I work on the road all day and usually take my lunch at the public library near a big university. I would usually play gws there at lunch as alot of other people would game there as well. I would sometimes leave game on the character select page if I had to go to the bathroom or take a call as i was in the corner of the library. A person I vaguely knew ended up deleting all my characters when i was in the bathroom because he thought it would be funny. I didnt find this out until the one year mark as well when he told me.

I immdeiately contacted CS again after a whole year and told them. I begged them that thousands of hours went down the drain and to at least return my deleted account bound ascended and legendary stuff if they could not give me back my map completions and 500 crafting. They sent back refusing everything.
I was heartbroken. Gaile was very supportive of me and offered her condolences which was really nice of her. I left the game again along with some of my close friends that played because they were disgusted ny the whole incident.

Over some time I came to terms with the matter and realized some fault being my own as I am too trusting a person. I then bought HoT and now have only one level 80 with exotic gear. I am having fun again and think HoT is actually quite good but I will never be the same. I still buy gems now as I did before so I can try to obtain the things I need to play again.

But after seeing this new situation, that people are grossly cheating and probably going to be able to possibly keep some things that they obtained by cheating and I can’t even get my account bound thing back that I worked hard for thousands of hours makes the old wound re open.

I will continue to support Arena Net financially and emotionally as I have for many years as deep down I think they are a great company, but this new information really has me feeling down.

(edited by xan.8936)

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

Personally I think people who bot should be permanently ip banned but at least something is being done.

IP ban would do next to nothing. That’s not how things work anymore. An IP can change like the weather in Texas. This includes mac address as it simply requires swapping out $10 worth of hardware. It’s is one of the least reliable ways of locking out a user, and since IPs are recycled it runs the risk of locking out someone who did nothing wrong.

echo.2053

~snip~

players are out for lives when theres a drop of blood in the ocean. You can’t legitimately say everything since account creation was obtained through botting just becuase they were caught now. In other instances the items that were obtained hit the market and were bought by honest players. so they should be punished too by removing those items with little to no chance of compensation?

6 months is quite a while to see which digital pixels you retained, fairly good chance they wont be returning on their own

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Because he said this

If they rolled the account back they wouldn’t have to attempt to remove what they can and there wouldn’t be some things they can’t remove.

When he says that, I’m assuming he means they can’t remove the gifts/drinks and gold that have already been put into circulation rather than what the accounts still have in their inventory.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Because he said this

When he says that, I’m assuming he means they can’t remove the gifts/drinks and gold that have already been put into circulation rather than what the accounts still have in their inventory.

Might be hard for them to remove achievement points, skins, and other account related stuff without a rollback.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Because he said this

Might be hard for them to remove achievement points, skins, and other account related stuff without a rollback.

Personally I don’t give a kitten about their AP and such, I want confirmation that their inventory items gained through the hack were removed. If they are so kittening concerned about the economy in this game, the least they could do is act like it. Botting floods the market with ill gotten goods. Banning these accounts temporarily simply delays the botters ability to sell their goods for gold which will probably just be sold for cash anyway.
As for their yet-to-be-sourced “data” on how temp banning is good… Now that the info is openly known, botters will simply adjust, and your precious “data” about banning is now useless.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!