Account wide dyes

Account wide dyes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Before launch dyes were account wide, but were changed to a per character basis for launch.

I think it’s time this was reversed to account wide as it was intended, this would mean you only need to get the dyes once for your account.

everything else is account wide or on the way to becoming account wide, some of them I could care less about but this was originally the way dyes worked.

you gave us time gates and stuff that really kitten us up the least you can do to compensate is make dyes account wide again !

(edited by Latinkuro.9420)

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

and kitten off the folks who put down hundreds of gold to have Abyss on all characters.

I get the idea and I think its a great one, about a year and a half ago. That ship has sailed. At this point, they could ADD NEW DYES and make them acct bound… That’s an idea. They’ll be a crapton more expensive unless they drop readily, but… they won’t

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Post #29173 regarding dyes not being account bound is surely the one that will change it all.

All hail post #29173!

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

If dyes were account bound. Then you wouldn’t be able to sell them on the TP and would have to rely on RNG to get the one you want.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I would just want the Seasonal dyes to be account bound, like the F&F dyes, or the Sunless Dyes.

Normal dyes should stay character bound, though. They’re not even that expensive, most of them.

I ? Karkas.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

As I posted in the Black Lion forum, just send any duplicate dyes back to the owner in the mail. Hopefully the increased demand (from dyes being better) will balance out the extra supply from people who decided to buy Abyss on half a dozen alts.

It would make the game more fun for collectors and, more importantly, make the gem store dye packs more appealing because completing the set becomes a reasonable and desirable goal again. I think that like the binding changes made/being made to infinite gathering tools, the account locker, and WXP, this is the sort of game improvement that we can hope for from ANet.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

And for those of us who like our characters to be separated from each other, to individually progress on their own, what would we get out if it?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Bron.9647

Bron.9647

If dyes were account bound. Then you wouldn’t be able to sell them on the TP and would have to rely on RNG to get the one you want.

The OP means that they would be available to all characters upon use, not that the item would be account-bound before use.

And for those of us who like our characters to be separated from each other, to individually progress on their own, what would we get out if it?

So, you’re saying you want less options? There’s no reason you would have to use the same colors on different characters…just because you have a dye doesn’t mean you have to use it.

Account wide dyes

zenleto.6179

So, you’re saying you want less options? There’s no reason you would have to use the same colors on different characters…just because you have a dye doesn’t mean you have to use it.

Nope, that’s not what I’m saying at all.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

When dyes were account bound access to them was also time gated. The current system is superior to what existed before launch.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Sorry I meant to say account wide NOT account bound.
in beta once you acquired a dye you had it for your entire account not just one measly toon.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Margarita Sublime.5708

Margarita Sublime.5708

I agree with making dyes account wide. I have a lot of characters and most of my money is going to dye purchases and that is frustrating.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: MisterElliott.2481

MisterElliott.2481

Post #29173 regarding dyes not being account bound is surely the one that will change it all.

All hail post #29173!

Hail, and bring us to a brighter future!

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Wouldn’t that be “a more colorful future” ?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

This is a huge flaw in the game IMO. I would have a lot more dyes and be a lot happier with my toons if I could share dyes among them. As it is, I simply refuse to pay 80g for a dye for ONE character. And what does it matter to ANet if it’s per character or account? This would be a something huge they could do that would make (what I would assume to be) a huge portion of the player base happy.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Account wide dyes

Posted by: siralius.9517

siralius.9517

This is an awesome idea. Definitely need to make dyes account wide. And it should be retro-active when they implement it.

I’m just going with the flow.
Let’s make it “Casual Friday” errday.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

Not going to happen. Dyes wont be worth anything on TB so what good would those who who bought more than get the extra ones back. Everyone would want the gold they spent on them to be returned, that is the only way this will be acceptable.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: siralius.9517

siralius.9517

Not going to happen. Dyes wont be worth anything on TB so what good would those who who bought more than get the extra ones back. Everyone would want the gold they spent on them to be returned, that is the only way this will be acceptable.

Eh, plenty of things we just have to take in stride in an MMO. So you spent some extra gold on extra dyes. Eh.

I’m just going with the flow.
Let’s make it “Casual Friday” errday.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The entitlement is over 9000.

I ? Karkas.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

There are a lot of dyes that look really good that are not anywhere near top price. You want abyss, great go get it. You want a black/white colour that matches your armour/character you can get it for about 2 gold max.
The rarest is just that, if you want it you will unfortunately pay for it one way or another.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I disagree. Every MMO has to “destroy” gold somehow, to keep the inflation low. This will be done with the TP, that’s why there is no 1-1 trading option. 10% of all the trading gold is eaten by Evon Gnashblade and that’s good.

Dyes aren’t that expensive if you think about the endgame of GW2 → visual appearence.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Yes it was account bound in the beta’s- but you are forgetting the mess with the seed and the npc.

I like what we have now honestly- every time I pick up a dye I think oooyhhh

I like having different dyes on all my characters and spending ages thinking up a theme that suits them.
None of them use the same dyes so far

Dyes are really not that expensive- I sell most of my high end ones because I often prefer the less expensive ones.

If I do want an expensive dye for whatever reason I just buy it

Gunnar’s Hold

Account wide dyes

CrashTestAuto.9108

The dyes that “everyone” has might go down, but the other ones could go up. Suddenly, rather than being worthless, the less popular dyes would be things that every collector wanted one of. Moreover, there’d be a good reason to have how ever many different shades of green, so demand for those may go up too.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: neko.9028

neko.9028

It will never happen, because if this happens the gemstore dye kits are not going to profit them, that is literary the ONLY reason to why they are NOT accountbound. If I remember correctly this was a choice made by the woman who runs the gemstore, Cox.

mehh

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I agree with making dyes account wide. I have a lot of characters and most of my money is going to dye purchases and that is frustrating.

And this is why they won’t change it.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Cox.

Nice name.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Sorry I meant to say account wide NOT account bound.
in beta once you acquired a dye you had it for your entire account not just one measly toon.

Yeah and in beta it was account bound. You have to make a compromise some where.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I’m sure both of you would manage.

I also fail to understand how RNG dye drops (or BLTP purchases with shared funeds) are progression . But that’s just me.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Account wide dyes

CrashTestAuto.9108

It will never happen, because if this happens the gemstore dye kits are not going to profit them, that is literary the ONLY reason to why they are NOT accountbound. If I remember correctly this was a choice made by the woman who runs the gemstore, Cox.

As I’ve said many times, and I suspect I’m not alone. I don’t buy gem store dyes BECAUSE dyes are soulbound. It isn’t just the fact that gem store dyes are hugely pricey for only one character, but the fact that there is no incentive to “complete the set”. If dyes were account bound, then having them all would be feasible for collectors. Thus collectors would buy even dyes they didn’t like. They’d also be happier to get RNG packs because 1) they’d be more fun for a collector (“RNG” packs in real life are pretty much only made for collectibles) and 2) there is more incentive to buy because you aren’t just going for the specific dye you want as they all have value in completing the set (even the non-new ones).

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Catbriar.4195

Catbriar.4195

Just like CrashTest, I never bought any dyes from the shop because I don’t have a main, per se. Instead, I have too many characters all wanting the same palette to choose from. I’d have been so excited to have collected EVERY color if it were account-wide. It would have become a money sink, fersure.

Instead, I was disappointed it wasn’t an option even at a higher cost and spent nothing on dyes.

From an OCD standpoint, it’s all (potentially) or nothing, actually.

Despite wandering off from Guild Wars 2 (and, yes, this little dye issue was part of that drift,) I still care enough that I check back now and then to see if anything has changed for the better. An account-wide dye system would be a lovely enticement to come back and really start to develop all the characters I had such grand plans for…

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

All hail post #29173!

^
Plus if that ever happened. “OMG I FOUND ABYSS DYE ON THIS CHAR AND I HAVE IT ALREADY ON MY ACCOUNT, I SELL IT AND I AM RICH” /Opens Trading posts, tries to sell: “Abyss Dye: Higher buyer 23s. Lowest seller: 25.4 s.” / PokerfacegiveusbacksoulbounddyesalreadyANET

\||||||/
O°v°O

Account wide dyes

Taygus.4571

Despite wandering off from Guild Wars 2 (and, yes, this little dye issue was part of that drift,) I still care enough that I check back now and then to see if anything has changed for the better. An account-wide dye system would be a lovely enticement to come back and really start to develop all the characters I had such grand plans for…

you’re saying that you’d come back if only your characters had the same colours? …

right……….

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Before launch dyes were account wide, but were changed to a per character basis for launch.

I think it’s time this was reversed to account wide as it was intended, this would mean you only need to get the dyes once for your account.

everything else is account wide or on the way to becoming account wide, some of them I could care less about but this was originally the way dyes worked.

you gave us time gates and stuff that really kitten us up the least you can do to compensate is make dyes account wide again !

You know, this game already has the best dye system of ANY I’ve ever played. GW1 you had to rebuy dye every time you dyed something. It’s like that for a lot of games. I have no complaints about it, even if they’re not account wide.

Also, I’ve made good money off selling abyss dyes.

Account wide dyes

Catbriar.4195

you’re saying that you’d come back if only your characters had the same colours? …

right……….

I think my rationale (my highly personal rationale) is a lot more credible than someone proposing to know exactly what others’ motivations are. Sarcasm isn’t a good shade on you.

Collections do hold a special attraction to me, such as the shinies in Rift and EQ2, or the archaeology toys, pets, and mounts in WoW, ingredients in Skyrim, currencies in Path of Exile, all the cards in Hearthstone, etc. Collecting gives a warm fuzzy to those who enjoy accumulating the pixels. It’s a hook. Without the hook, the yen to travel exceeds the yearn to keep logging in.

Certainly, it wasn’t the only reason I didn’t invest the sort of time into GW2 that I gave GW1. I haven’t entirely given up on the idea that eventually I’ll get back to it. That’s why I check the forums and the main news page. Inventory increases and account-wide dyes are the top two things I hope to see.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

right……….

Dyes being account wide would be a carrot for her to return to the game. Whether or not just a single carrot would be enough to get to return or not is something she has not said. And by return I mean more than for a week or two.

I’m torn. On one hand, I’d love to see this kind of stuff be the “BiS” grind. Getting the colors you want on your characters. Like in GW1 where it was the appearance of the characters was what you chased after instead of chasing more powerful items. This is better supported by dyes being character bound. You didn’t unlock Appearance A on one character and have it be available to other characters.

On the other hand, dye drops are so rare that it makes the really rare dyes incredibly expensive. Too expensive for a person with multiple alts to really want to shoot for having on all characters. Not to mention it makes it so that the person doesn’t want to not use that color ever again due to how expensive it was. And they can’t use it on another character.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I would just want the Seasonal dyes to be account bound, like the F&F dyes, or the Sunless Dyes.

Normal dyes should stay character bound, though. They’re not even that expensive, most of them.

This. Keep the standard dyes as is.

The special dyes (Toxic, Flame & Frost, Metallurgic, etc.) however, should be an account unlock.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

This. Keep the standard dyes as is.

The special dyes (Toxic, Flame & Frost, Metallurgic, etc.) however, should be an account unlock.

I’m ok with this. Those need to go down in price.

Account wide dyes

Taygus.4571

right……….

I think my rationale (my highly personal rationale) is a lot more credible than someone proposing to know exactly what others’ motivations are. Sarcasm isn’t a good shade on you.

Collections do hold a special attraction to me, such as the shinies in Rift and EQ2, or the archaeology toys, pets, and mounts in WoW, ingredients in Skyrim, currencies in Path of Exile, all the cards in Hearthstone, etc. Collecting gives a warm fuzzy to those who enjoy accumulating the pixels. It’s a hook. Without the hook, the yen to travel exceeds the yearn to keep logging in.

Certainly, it wasn’t the only reason I didn’t invest the sort of time into GW2 that I gave GW1. I haven’t entirely given up on the idea that eventually I’ll get back to it. That’s why I check the forums and the main news page. Inventory increases and account-wide dyes are the top two things I hope to see.

There are other collections, to say dyes is the incentive needed to bring you back in well shrugs..there’s more to the game.

Account wide dyes

zenleto.6179

I’m sure both of you would manage.

I also fail to understand how RNG dye drops (or BLTP purchases with shared funeds) are progression . But that’s just me.

Yeah, I can see your failure there.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I’m sure I’m in the minority on this, but I actually like the system the way it is. If I get a duplicate dye, I have the option of either giving it to an alt or selling it. My characters are all completely different, and I’ll want different dyes on each one anyway, so I don’t really need to have the same dye pallet for each character.

But that’s just me.

Account wide dyes

CrashTestAuto.9108

I’m sure I’m in the minority on this, but I actually like the system the way it is. If I get a duplicate dye, I have the option of either giving it to an alt or selling it. My characters are all completely different, and I’ll want different dyes on each one anyway, so I don’t really need to have the same dye pallet for each character.

But that’s just me.

It isn’t about the palette for me, it’s about the collecting. When I started playing I opened every single unidentified dye I got, and never bought a single dye off the TP. It was a game I was playing where I wanted to collect them all for fun. Each unidentified was a new bit of fun. Then I found out they weren’t account bound and boom, not fun anymore.

That’s why I don’t buy gem store dye packs. There’s no fun in the RNG (at least for me) because it isn’t a collectable, you’re hoping for a specific dye (either for your palette or just the most expensive one to sell). Its far more practical in that case just to go to the TP and buy the one you actually want.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

and kitten off the folks who put down hundreds of gold to have Abyss on all characters.

Has anybody forced you to waste all the money? NO

Never have read bigger nonsense so far, than this here before.
You’ve written this BS here only, because of the true reason that you ‘d dislike the fact that you’d not be able anymore with account bound dyes to make big profits from sellign them.
Any person with half of a brain would find it good to have accoutn bound dyes, because it simply reduces massively the senseless GRIND in this game to the smalles possible point and this can be only good for the game to reduce grind.

Dying in this Game is a feature for personal character customization. It shouldn’t be something that players could use to make profit with.
ANet makes enough profit from adding special dyes like they did already several times ..
Theres no need for ANet to let the normal dyes to stay charaster bound.
And even if there should be sellable dyes, its enough if just unidentified dyes would be the only sellable dyes, because its the only consumeable dye, that has a fair price and is on similar value like globs of ectoplasm around.
No single dye in this game should be sold for douzens over douzens of gold via TP.

Makign dyes character bound just cripples unneccessarely the whole character personalization system, because you know, you could dye your alts basicalyl with all of the dyes you’ve collected with your Main Character, but no, that brain dead crippling character bonding makes it impssible to share the already unlocked dyes with your alts, what makes the whole system alt unfriendly, because the stupid system forces you to get somehow first agai nand again and again one and the same dyes, if you want to color multiple alts with the same colors, even if you already posses basically the wanted dye.

People should stop with their selfish attitudes andshould find themself other thigns with that they can rip off other players for their personal profits, other than dyes, so that all players can profitate together from this change makign the whole game alot more alt friendly and FUN.

Thats far more important for a game, than brain dead rich players getting only richer and richer through selling their tons of rare dyes for as much as possible gold in the TP, what would be only possible, as logn the dyes stay as they are and don#t become accountbound.

With making Dyes accountboumd, Anet should remove the basic Dye Kit in the Ingame Store and replace it with a cycle of new and returning special dye kits that are seasonal.

We speak here about more than 400 dyes. Its ridiculous for a game, that is all about fashion and character customization to force its players to collect all of these 400+ dyes individually for each character…

Dyes should be usable for all of your characters, just like Achievement Point Rewards.
I even think it would be awesome, if players could unlock every 100 Achievement Points or every 250 Achievement Points a new dye for the Account.
This would further incentivite players to work on Achievements to speed up that way unlocking more and more character customization options ect.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

If you wanted to see people’s heads explode, you could make the dyes bought from the Black Lion store be account-wide and the ones we find in the world remain per-character.

I might actually buy a few of them then without massively perturbing the market.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

this is a horrible idea, i cant think of a better way to destroy the price of dyes

Account wide dyes

Catbriar.4195

We speak here about more than 400 dyes. Its ridiculous for a game, that is all about fashion and character customization to force its players to collect all of these 400+ dyes individually for each character…

Dyes should be usable for all of your characters, just like Achievement Point Rewards.
I even think it would be awesome, if players could unlock every 100 Achievement Points or every 250 Achievement Points a new dye for the Account.
This would further incentivite players to work on Achievements to speed up that way unlocking more and more character customization options ect.

I love this idea, Orpheal! As Seera astutely observed, this would be such a good carrot. The kind of carrot that makes the finest carrot cake. ^.~

I’d definitely be drawn back into playing, collecting, and avidly getting acheevo points if your idea was implemented in some fashion.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I love this idea, Orpheal! As Seera astutely observed, this would be such a good carrot. The kind of carrot that makes the finest carrot cake. ^.~

I’d definitely be drawn back into playing, collecting, and avidly getting acheevo points if your idea was implemented in some fashion.

Or at least let the common dyes be account bound. And the rare/exotic dyes be character bound.

That way those who want a wide variety of colors across all characters can have their tea. And those who want a sense of character progression through colors can keep that to some degree.

Account wide dyes

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

PSA to the community:

In order to get Account Bound dyes, you’re going to have to show ANet a way that they can monetize that better than the current systems without making the community at large upset.

ANet is a business and in this partly to make money (They’re fairly less concerned about the money than other companies thankfully). They hired someone from Nexon to oversee monetization of this game for that reason. Originally they wanted Dyes to be account bound (maybe regardless of the system they ended up implementing), they went with soulbound after bringing in the people focus on monetizing.

You’re best bet to change the current system is to show how to make Account Bound dyes be a win for the players and a win for ANet’s profits.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Account wide dyes

ozmaniandevil.6805

I honestly believe the ONLY people that foresee a problem with account wide dyes are those that have some worth 50g and up on the TP and don’t want to see their profits die. I don’t feel sorry for you. This game is about character customization but I can’t customize my characters as much as I would like because I could EASILY spend 500g on dyes for ONE character. But that is absurd, so I just don’t do it. Instead I just sigh and realize it’s one more thing that makes me unhappy about this game (the list is piling up, sadly).

Account wide dyes

ozmaniandevil.6805

PSA to the community:

In order to get Account Bound dyes, you’re going to have to show ANet a way that they can monetize that better than the current systems without making the community at large upset.

ANet is a business and in this partly to make money (They’re fairly less concerned about the money than other companies thankfully). They hired someone from Nexon to oversee monetization of this game for that reason. Originally they wanted Dyes to be account bound (maybe regardless of the system they ended up implementing), they went with soulbound after bringing in the people focus on monetizing.

You’re best bet to change the current system is to show how to make Account Bound dyes be a win for the players and a win for ANet’s profits.

Can you show me how they make money with this now? It’s the players reaping the big profits here, not ANet. I don’t see how the company itself could care one way or another.

Account wide dyes

Catbriar.4195

Hmm, what about something like this:

Tie-dyed! Oh noes, you washed your vivid t-shirt with the white fluffy towels! Everything is dyed! This item when purchased will make a color bleed over into all your characters’ dye charts. Cost—200ish coins.

It’s not a dye itself; it can only be applied to colors you already know. But it’s a method of having a dye found once and then known to all alts (and subsequent alts, I would hope.)

But Anet must also consider the revenue loss of the current system. I would have been spending quite a lot on dyes if they were account bound already. As it stands, I’ve spent very little in the shop. Only a bit on inventory upgrades and one appearance changing pack.

The dye system could have been something I really threw my energy and money into, getting even more attached to my characters and purchasing more luxury items for them. Instead, the character bound issue pushed me away to more rewarding time(&cash)sinks. :}