"Achievement Collectors"

"Achievement Collectors"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

Okay so to be perfectly honest, these so-called “achievement collectors” are getting on my nerves. Basically there are some people who have made it a goal to essentially fulfill and collect every achievement in the game. Including (and especially) the limited-time, living story achievements. And lately there has been a lot of talk and a lot of whining and a lot of raging etc about not having enough time to finish said achievements, or “unfair” achievements being added (due to location or activity required to get them).

So I was just curious. How many people are in this boat of needing every achievement? And why? I mean I’m all for making goals, but when I have to go grind for hours while working on my goal of The Dreamer I don’t complain about how cruel Anet is to not make legendaries easier to get. If you ever had to miss an achievement, or an entire living story, what would you do?

And for people who aren’t trying to achieve every achievement achievable in the game, have you noticed this too? I mean personally I feel like in the last couple weeks, the most complaining I have seen from anybody about gw2 is “achievement collectors” complaining about not being able to get their achievements. So yeah. Talk.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Well, since the moment the achievement reward chests appeared, it came apparent to most players that something nice could be gained with their achievement points..
And because “the more achievement points, the more rewards”, it’s normal that you have achievement kittens roaming around..

Just /laugh @, wave, and move on..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Why so mad? If somebody wants to use their achievements list as a checklist like its designed to be than that’s there prerogative.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I’ve got two opinions on the matter.

On one hand, forum people not qualified to treat people with OCD, they should find help from the proper channels.

On the other hand, I don’t like missing out on the story, but life simply isn’t fair. Apparently this is the most effective model for a.net to generate money and that’s their main concern. A million threads won’t make A.net into charity.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I once wrote a dissertation about motivational theories and how they can be applied in the context of e-learning software.

There are different things that motivate people. There are intrinsic motivators (meaning the motivation comes from within you) and extrinsic motivators (someone else gives you a reward).

Different personality types respond to different motivators. As a general rule, introverts are more likely to respond to intrinsic motivators and extroverts are more likely to respond to extrinsic motivators, but it is fairly mixed and individual.

Bottom line: for some people, reward completion is what motivates them to play, and other players find their motivation in other aspects of the game. Guildwars 2 offers a lot of different things so various personality types ALL get hooked and keep playing.

Take one of those motivators away, and you will drive some of the gaming population away.

There is no universal truth – there is no “good motivators” and “bad motivators”.

The fact that you don’t feel you need to achieve achievement completion doesn’t mean you’re right, or better at gaming, or life. It just means that your brain is differently wired.

I hope that explains it, at least a little bit.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Even though I am predominately a PvP players, I see no reason to complain about achievements giving rewards, or how you are forced to do them. There is nothing important in the Achievement system worth grinding several dozens of hours unless you want to.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Honestly, the achievements have been there to annoy the compulsive hoarders since the beginning.

First we had the icons. I still remember people complaining about how Legendaries were supposedly “mandatory” because the icon in the menu was “taunting” you to get it.

Then we get the leaderboards. Naturally, there are people who play games to get and stay on leaderboards. That’s not a bad thing, really. It’s a personal progression, the developers don’t have to do much at all for it. In this case, all they have to do is attach a point system to exploring the Living Story content.

Finally, the achievement rewards attracted people who were previously not hoarding those points. And of course, that made the impulse even stronger on the previous hoarders.

Honestly, if you ask me, I say let them be. It’s better that they get their “progression” than have them complain about lack of raids or treadmills or whatnot.

I also don’t think that too many people are going to start hoarding the points if they didn’t already do that. At least not for extended periods of time. I can totally see someone going for 5,000 if they’re at 4,000, or going for 10,000 if they’re at 7,000. But I can’t see someone who’s at 2,356 going for 25,000 just for the rewards.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

I believe people think those achis are mandatory to gain just because they are given “in bulk” atm. I, for example, gained almost 6k APs since the start of the game, nothing serious, right? I feel that getting 1g + some stuff every day is nice but if I got them in “normal” pace I would barely notice this.
I mean I get in 12 or so days rewards I should be given in like 9(?) months of play time. At this point I must mention I didn’t farm anything. I just did dailies/monthlies, map unlocks, the usual mat farming some wvw and pvp and such. My list of achis is full of holes still. Oh and I usually played for like 2-3 hours per session not even every day (casual player).

Why complain about stuff you will get eventually? Or is it some newcomer who wants all the stuff ASAP just because he bought the game?

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

After level 80, story completion and map completion, Achievement Points are the only indicator remaining of any character progression.

This is why they are so popular.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

On one hand, forum people not qualified to treat people with OCD, they should find help from the proper channels.

What makes you think people that like to get all the achievements meet the diagnostic criteria for OCD? Achievements and accomplishments are synonymous. For many doing all the achievements gives someone a sense of accomplishment by completing them through game play. Believe it or not, not everyone just does the achievements for a shiny. Sorry it is kind of a pet pieve of mine when people label others based on misconceptions of mental illness.

Back to topic, people that want 100% achievement from an event should understand that not all of them can be accomplished inside their comfort zone. For example the jump puzzle for the kite in WvW. I feel these achievements are meant to provide a challenge for most aspects of the game and to accomplish them all a player needs to realize that. I know I had to go a long way outside of my comfort zone just to get the 16 achievements for the event. Eventually I did it and actually had fun conquering the challenge and having a sense of accomplishment. Now I’m working for more of the event achievements off and on as a change from my normal style of play.

The Burninator

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

After level 80, story completion and map completion, Achievement Points are the only indicator remaining of any character progression.

This is why they are so popular.

Hit the nail on the head!

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

I like achievements. They are goals for me. People who criticize achievement collectors usually misunderstand. Sure some its just a number. But to me its a tangeble “I did that” list. I love the thing that shows your almost done achievements now, since it gives me a shorter term goal to do. I dont get mad at having to earn them, though I hate feeling timed to get them, since I play on and off alot, but I do try to earn them. Hell, I got every single Southsun Achievement without having anyone let me win Crabtoss.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I used to be a completionist, but then I missed a point, the Halloween Jumping puzzle. So I said, oh well, screw it. Nothing I can do about it, until maybe next year.

It probably is a touch of OCD, but what can you do. That sort of thing is what made me a successful editor.

It’s not whether or not you have flaws, it’s how you use them to your advantage that counts.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I recently became a completionist, but I’m not going to fuss about missing out on temporary achievements due to lack of time, or missing out on achievements due to lack of skill. Why am I doing this?
1. It’s not a bad goal while waiting to have enough money to go for a legendary.
2. having all hero, explorer, slayer, weapon master, etc achievement tabs filled would feel good
3. I want some shinies. I just must admit – I want some shinies!
I’m pretty sure that I’m not ruining anyone’s experience by doing these. I don’t whine on the forums, I don’t whine in game and if I’m doing a slayer achievement in a quest area where other people would need those for a quest I just jump servers as soon as I see a person.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

What makes you think people that like to get all the achievements meet the diagnostic criteria for OCD? Achievements and accomplishments are synonymous. For many doing all the achievements gives someone a sense of accomplishment by completing them through game play. Believe it or not, not everyone just does the achievements for a shiny. Sorry it is kind of a pet pieve of mine when people label others based on misconceptions of mental illness.

A lot of threads about achievement hunting start with “I have OCD and that’s why I have a problem with this”. Well… my general response to people with OCD is that we’re not qualified to help them. For people who don’t have OCD, missing a few shouldn’t be that big of a deal. It’s a game after all (point #2 which you failed to add in your quotation)

Misquoting isn’t a nice thing to do, especially because I covered both cases if you put that specific quote in context. Please read and quote an entire post before you pass judgement.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

A lot of threads about achievement hunting start with “I have OCD and that’s why I have a problem with this”. Well… my general response to people with OCD is that we’re not qualified to help them. For people who don’t have OCD, missing a few shouldn’t be that big of a deal. It’s a game after all (point #2 which you failed to add in your quotation)

Misquoting isn’t a nice thing to do, especially because I covered both cases if you put that specific quote in context. Please read and quote an entire post before you pass judgement.

I think lots of people, including myself, use the term OCD not as a medical condition (which I don’t have), but as a description of my behavior. I know for a fact I don’t have OCD because not that much bothers me. If I miss something I miss it. I’m pretty relaxed about most things.

But a lot of people confuse other things and symptoms for OCD and to communicate with people, people use the word. I seriously doubt most people who say they’re OCD are actually people who have been diagnosed with it.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not a completionist, per se, though I do like to complete as many achievements as I feel comfortable doing so.

I like the fact they are there, as it gives me something to do; isn’t that their purpose, anyway? To give us things to do in-game? In Living Story, they are kind of a bonus. I’d be doing some of those tasks, anyway, so it’s great to be rewarded with a gold star, (and a shiny, if applicable), as well! =)

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I was in this boat until I went on a ski vacation and missed most of the Wintersday celebration. Once you miss one event, you really stop caring about getting every achievement. Even now, I just try to get the meta-reward. Anything else after that is just to boost my AP and if I don’t finish it, whatever.

There are those that have not missed any, though, so I’m sure the pressure is on for them to complete everything.

It’s nice not having that pressure.

I suggest that everyone who has not missed a Living Story achievement, to just let go and let one slip. I know it’s hard, but you will be a better person for it in the long run. You will no longer be a slave to the two week time-frame! You will get your meta done and still have almost the entire two weeks left and you will feel great!

Oh no, event’s over and you missed 2 achievements? You won’t care!! You will just focus on the meta of the next event!

Oh it’s glorious to be free!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

I was in this boat until I went on a ski vacation and missed most of the Wintersday celebration. Once you miss one event, you really stop caring about getting every achievement. Even now, I just try to get the meta-reward. Anything else after that is just to boost my AP and if I don’t finish it, whatever.

There are those that have not missed any, though, so I’m sure the pressure is on for them to complete everything.

It’s nice not having that pressure.

I suggest that everyone who has not missed a Living Story achievement, to just let go and let one slip. I know it’s hard, but you will be a better person for it in the long run. You will no longer be a slave to the two week time-frame! You will get your meta done and still have almost the entire two weeks left and you will feel great!

Oh no, event’s over and you missed 2 achievements? You won’t care!! You will just focus on the meta of the next event!

Oh it’s glorious to be free!

Yeah like I don’t have a problem with people collecting Achievements, I really don’t. My biggest problem with it is that some of these people are getting really stressed/upset about the Living Stories and getting all of the limited-time achievements. I just feel like when it gets to that point that you’re stressing out and complaining in forums/map chat about how unfair something is because you may not be able to get all the achievements..Well first of all it doesn’t sound like it’s a fun goal anymore, and secondly when it reaches that point it starts to affect everybody else. If you want to frustrate and stress yourself out by trying for every single little achievement, fine. But there’s no reason to ask Anet to change the game for your personal play style, or complain in map chat about how you can’t get some achievement, or expect people to stop and let you win 1st place in a mini game (and possibly get mad when they don’t.)

Anyways Draknar, I quoted you cause I said something about this to someone in another thread..That eventually, you’re going to miss something. For whatever reason, it’s going to happen. And at that point, what can you do? You’ll never get them all..And I suggested like you’re saying, that maybe when you reach such a high level of frustration over an achievement or set of achievements, to just let it go. Because there’s no reason to get that stressed over something in a game. I never cared about collecting achievements, but in a similar kind of story, ever since I started this game I had the goal to collect ALL the dyes. My personal rule was that I couldn’t buy dyes off the tp, I had to drop/find/craft them all myself. I like the feeling of dropping a dye and seeing what’s in it, y’know. It’s exciting and a surprise and it felt a little like cheating to just go buy dyes. ANYWAYS then the Flame and Frost event happened…And Anet introduced limited-time, super rare dyes only available in the gem store. With only a chance to even drop them. I have to admit, I got pretty upset over this. Because I don’t have a ton of money to spend on gems for a slight chance to drop even one of these dyes..And this was when I realized that I’m probably not going to be able to obtain all of the Flame and Frost dyes. It’s just not going to happen, and there’s not anything I can do about that. So I let it go. And I mean it was a disappointment, but you get over it. Because in the end, it doesn’t really matter if you have every single dye ever released on gw2, or if you have every single little achievement. We all have limitations and our goals should be realistic. When your limitations and your goals start to oppose eachother, then it may be time to rethink your goals.

And I mean I’m still trying to collect all the dyes that are not flame and frost dyes, and maybe one day I’ll start buying those off the tp if I ever get like, really really rich (not likely). So if you’re an Achievement Collector having issues with the fast pace of Living Story, or latency issues with mini-games, or whatever..Maybe just tweak your goals a little bit. Like say “I still want to get all of the permanent Achievement Points, and I’ll get as many Living Story ones as I can, but if I miss a few it doesn’t matter.”

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Yeah like I don’t have a problem with people collecting Achievements, I really don’t. My biggest problem with it is that some of these people are getting really stressed/upset about the Living Stories and getting all of the limited-time achievements. I just feel like when it gets to that point that you’re stressing out and complaining in forums/map chat about how unfair something is because you may not be able to get all the achievements..Well first of all it doesn’t sound like it’s a fun goal anymore, and secondly when it reaches that point it starts to affect everybody else. If you want to frustrate and stress yourself out by trying for every single little achievement, fine. But there’s no reason to ask Anet to change the game for your personal play style, or complain in map chat about how you can’t get some achievement, or expect people to stop and let you win 1st place in a mini game (and possibly get mad when they don’t.)

Some people complain because they want the rewards without making an effort to get them. Posting a message here takes almost no effort, and once in a while the devs cave in – or appear to do so – and make things easier or just hand out stuff. So the potential reward is higher than the effort involved, unlike actually playing the game and attempting to earn the rewards.

There are others, though, who really are compulsive about ticking off all the boxes and such. Someone who actually has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder doesn’t do these things because they are fun or because they like doing it – it’s a compulsion, choice is not involved.

What happens is there is a difference in the way the person’s brain works. If you ever left the house and had a feeling you forgot something – left the oven on or something – then you know how they feel all the time. When something isn’t done, the feeling won’t go away – and often even when it is done, it won’t go away either. That’s why people with OCD do things like locking and unlocking the front door 25 times in a row – they come up with systems to help cope with the feelings and make them subside for a while.

If someone really does have OCD, they should not be playing this game. It’s not set up to allow for that kind of behavior, you can only keep up with the changes for so long but eventually real life will interfere and you’ll lose your chance to get an achievement or a reward, and you can’t go back later to get them. This will just lead to frustration so the best thing to do is to avoid that situation in the first place.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have about half of what the top ten leaderboard people have. If I wanted to reach that goal tomorrow I would be seriously out of luck. I also have about 1600 hours played which is a fraction of the time of the people at the top of the boards. I would not physically/emotionally be able to do so. I see no need to get to the top of the board myself but people have different wiring as was posted above.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

The “I have limited time” argument is a fallacy here. As long as there are new incoming LS achievements, it simply does not matter whether you completed the one before. There will always be enough to do to earn points, in fact, apparently more than you have time for. Only people who really HAVE a lot of game time will be possibly feeling the pressure to complete each and every mini-achievement of a LS as they may have run out of achievements to do already.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I’m at 7k and change on achievements (top 10% of players). I got them just by playing the game without intent to fulfill them for achievement points. I do, however admit to playing the game too much.

I do do the new content as it’s new and fresh. I usually get my dailies done just goofing around.

I will admit to using the achievements panel on Jumping Puzzles, not to max them out but to find ones I had overlooked.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

I’m at 7k and change on achievements (top 10% of players). I got them just by playing the game without intent to fulfill them for achievement points. I do, however admit to playing the game too much.

I do do the new content as it’s new and fresh. I usually get my dailies done just goofing around.

I will admit to using the achievements panel on Jumping Puzzles, not to max them out but to find ones I had overlooked.

I’m just shy of 8,500 and I’m the same. However, I do enjoy having a task in the game so I’ll try to complete as many daily categories as I can (PvE, PvP, and WvW). Usually there’s only a few left after just playing the game normally.

I also try to complete as much living story as I can, got everything but the charged quartz done in this one.

You don’t have to do anything. The rewards are always available without completing all the achievements, maybe there’s 10 or 20 points you won’t get … that just means you might need to wait a couple more days to get your next chest. I didn’t get the two hard dungeon achievements in the last one, that’s 30 points I think, but I’m not crying over it.

People will probably calm down about it a little bit once we stop getting the reward backlog.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

(edited by Nabrok.9023)

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

there are ppl with 10 000 ap when the new rewards were announced we are the idiots for not doing every single kitten in this game : )
they score big time

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

I’m an AP collector and here is my philosophy… I take the 80/20 rule. 80% of the AP’s will take up 20% of your time BUT getting the last 20% of APs will take up 80% (grinding) of your time.

I only go for the initial 80% of the APs and simple don’t peruse grindy APs that are not fun for me. I’ll be in the top collectors, but I’ll never be first and I’m okay with that.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I don’t care about the normal achievement hunters. The ones that really get on my nerve and kitten me off are the ones with massive entitlement issues, who whine all day and would want to take stuff away from people like me just so that they can have a bigger achievement score. kitten those guys.

The good thing about achievements and titles is that if you put a skill gate on them, the people who cannot meet the required skill are not denied of anything other than a couple letters, or an abstract number… however many of the low skill achievement hunters with entitlement issues can’t even accept that… they are ever insistant on adding more and more stuff that is only time gated, not skill gated.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

there are ppl with 10 000 ap when the new rewards were announced we are the idiots for not doing every single kitten in this game : )
they score big time

We’ll see exactly how big on thursday night when people get their 5k chests.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle

As others have pointed out, these people tend to be [not so] lovingly referred to as ‘Completionists.’

Of which, I was one…until I hit the age of reason (RIP: George Carlin)

In my case, it was simply the dislike for leaving things undone. I tend to be highly organized and logical when it comes to games. The achievements list was not only a set of goals, it was an in my face challenge to do it all….

…And then I found the jumping puzzles. Oh boy. I laughed, I cried, I frustrated the kitten out of myself, and then finally tossed in the hat. My OCD inner demon was forced to lie down and submit to the fact that those…just aren’t going to happen aaaaaanytime soon.

…Then came the holiday achievements, and the living story with their one offs and time locks. I think the inner demon may finally have died….

That being said, I find my game play much less stressful and carefree when I just…don’t care. The achievements are still goals for me, but nothing I am in a mass rush to complete. I try for each living story goal, and if I get it..woohoo, if I don’t..oh well. I only really worry about getting enough for the meta anymore. Beyond that, I’m not going to stress myself out over whether or not I’m going to manage any additional achievement within the given time frame (especially when it involves jumping puzzles!)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

I’ve been able to clear through most of the living world content in less than a day, the only exception has been restricted achievements such as “eat a fruit at first light on the fifth day, then look to the east.” or if you want a recent example: The like clockwork achievement which you require 8 days to complete.

I’ve always been a trophyhunter on the PS3 and I fully intend to get as many achievement points in GW2 as I can, however I already know there are sections of the game that I will not touch due to it simply being too boring, how this all can actually annoy you is beyond me tho.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

There’s been a lot of people complaining that they can’t get the “entitlements” they are “entitled” to. And they don’t realize that it’s pronounced “achievement” and has a different definition from “entitlement.”

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

An achievement system has been a part of all the major games I have played. And, I’ve noticed that some players derive more pleasure from collecting achievements than others. What I don’t understand is why that would be an issue for players. I’ve, personally, never felt the need to monitor others playstyles or be overly concerned about how people choose to derive pleasure from a game.

That said, achievements have changed in GW2 as they are now tied into a major reward system and function in line with the dailies and monthlies. I would expect there to be more focus now on collecting achievements here than in other games I have played. I don’t have a problem with introducing reward around achievements as they are accomplished through playing the game and I believe that reward in games should be around playing the game, both intrinsic and extrinsic reward. So far, what I see Anet doing is introducing reward through various game systems in an apparent attempt to distribute it across playstyles. The only thing I would change would be to remove vertical progression as the underlying element that drives the system.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

If you have legitimate OCD you probably should steer clear from any game with an extensive achievement points system. It’s a recipe for disaster.

If you do not have diagnosed OCD, then I highly highly highly suggest taking the plunge of missing one of the Living Story achievements. God it feels so good to be freeeeeee! Each LS I give my best shot to finish them all. But once I get my meta now I’m like, “whatevs” if I don’t finish them all. Sure I want them all, but when the new patch ends and I miss out, I don’t even think about it anymore.

And Genavelle, I’m glad to see others have enjoyed the same freedom. I’m sorry to hear your dye plans were ruined, that must have been tough! Luckily you aren’t prevented from finishing it forever, so you can always technically work towards your goal. Good luck!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

Honestly, I’ve seen more people complaining about people that want to get all the achievements than I’ve seen people complain about missing achievements.

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i feel the pressure. even if i skipped the 2 nightmare jumping puzzles in halloween and wintersday.
but i do feel the pressure. i usually try to complete all the new achievement as fast as i can, because i’m scared of missing something.
but i surely now i won’t die if at the end i’ll skip something again.
i stopped farming all the daily achievement when i realized i was hating the game for doing so, there was a moment it felt like a job, i surely would gladly do it if they pay me with real money, which i can spend to pay my internet connection^^

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

hi there,
i mostly pve and love achievements, it just takes that bit of brain to avoid ridiculus ones,
100k drinks? seriously?
Or the ones not meant to be reached by my playstile
I definetly won’t grind wvw to 250k kills ie lol.
now for the time gated ones i kinda agree that is a bit lame, what i’d do is to give the possibility to these players to experience old content trough a sort of gem store purchase, or whatever.
I know some stuff would be problematic at best, like crab toss, is just an idea not a blueprint.
i’d pay miself to do mad king tower again after all these months.
but i’d be perfecly fine too if they make mad king available again next nov..
won’t cry if they don’t, anyway lol

"Achievement Collectors"

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Nothing wrong with being a completionist.

There is something wrong when people want to change the game to suit that need though, especially the leaderboard crybabies when they want to take away other people’s points because they don’t approve of how it’s acquired. In games that are actually competitive, we tend to call these people scrubs. If you are upset about your lack of success, complain and whine loudly, while not thinking of a way to change your approach and hone your skills therefore never having a chance to improve, you are a scrub. These aren’t completionists— they want to twist the game so they can complete it.

Like every game, there are many scrubs. These people often paint the game in black and white, usually arriving at the inevitable conclusion that the game is rigged against them and if the game was fair they would completely own everyone. They will often trivialize the game play and saying that “any idiot could do it if they spammed mouseclicks/1”. What they don’t realize is that by doing this, they are making themselves look even worse when they can’t overcome something so banal. So it doesn’t matter if Guild Wars 2 is banal and easy. They’re still mediocre at a banal and easy game. Whoops. Nothing has changed. If one really saw a “competition” such as the leaderboard to be banal and meaningless, then if they had any so called “skill”, they would know better and not participate in such a farce.

This is not to say this game is perfect, because it is far from perfect. It is fine to complain about unfun or broken mechanics but one must approach the issues like a human with a brain and give thoughtful analysis rather than excuses. It’s how humanity has survived til today and dominated the planet despite not being the fastest, strongest, or toughest. It’s because we sometimes used our brains and used it to overcome a situation that would have normally killed us. So…. use it. Adapt, and if it doesn’t work, then it’s out of your control so push for change.

Fact is, a lot of people just play in their own corner of the game and don’t realize everyone plays differently, yet they want to twist and contort the game to reward only what they consider suitable (their little corner) at the detriment to others. There is no need to accede to such entitled demands. I also play in my little corner, but I’m not going to vandalize everyone else’s space. It’s no less pitiful then people who only play 1 profession and demand other professions get nerfed despite the fact that they have no idea how it works.

Just people who see competition in everything and want to put themselves above others but are too afraid to go into the mists.

And then there is the true completionist who just does this for their own personal goals and enjoyment. Not a thing wrong with that.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)