Achievement Completion: Jumping Puzzles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: soliloqui.9248

soliloqui.9248

I completed all the jumping puzzles and expected some type of “Achievement Completion: Jumping Puzzles 100%”. I was very distraught when I ran through all three Mists in one evening to completely acquire all achievements on this list and… nothing. Will there ever be a benefit to completing all of everything? Other than the dissolution of the obsessive compulsion I had to complete the puzzles. A secret jumping puzzle would be nice. Or a title. Or really, any kind of recognition. Just a thought.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Each jumping puzzle has a reward chest (or another kind of reward like a Rich Vein) at the end. Each also gives out 10 AP.

I wouldn’t mind a special JP title for doing all of them, but given that new JP’s are always going to be added to the game, that might get problematic.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

If they added a decent reward for completing all the jumping puzzles a lot of people would probably say it’s unfair because “jumping is too hard”.

Also, a solution to the problem Zaxares mentioned about new JPs being added to the game could be a title you get based on how many unique JPs you’ve completed instead of it being from of finishing the entire achievement tab.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

(edited by Aguri.2896)

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

A title for completing all jumping puzzles wouldn’t be a problem. I mean, we already have something similar, “Been There, Done That”. It’s awarded for unlocking all waypoints, PoI’s, Vistas, and Hearts. But, ANet adds new hearts and PoI’s on a pretty regular basis.

Yet, people who have that title don’t have to go and unlock every single new thing added to retain it, do they? You earn it once, and it stays with you.

I don’t see this being an issue with a title being unlocked by having all JP’s completed. You earn it once by finishing all JPs, then even if they add a new one, you should still have the title unlocked.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The problem is they keep adding jumping puzzles. You’d never really be complete.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Or words to that effect.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

The problem is they keep adding jumping puzzles. You’d never really be complete.

Again, having them all completed just once will unlock the title, just like how it already works with Been There, Done That.

It’s not that hard to understand…

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

But the problem there would be that it’d be much harder for newer players to get the title than older ones. Instead of doing, say, 30 JP’s for the title, you now have to do 60 JP’s. That’s twice as many as there originally was, and some of the new JP’s might be super kittenes like Not So Secret.

You could get around this by putting new JP’s in their own category, I suppose (like the new one in Dry Top), but that actually bothers me more than not having a title for having done all of them. I’d prefer to see all the JP’s be in their own category.

Anyway, as far as titles go, I’m quite happy with my “Honors in Applied Jumping”.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Again, having them all completed just once will unlock the title, just like how it already works with Been There, Done That.

I assume Vayne means that if/when they bring in new JP’s you would have to complete it to be allowed to keep/use the title again.

They have this same problem in Runescape with their “questmaster” cape. Basically you get to use/show off that you have completed every quest in the game. However every time they bring in a new quest everybody has to do it to be able to wear said cape again. It’s a silly treadmill of sorts…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Because it’s hard they need to add new Armor/Weapon skins that’s exclusive to the puzzle to reward those who truly are skill-ful at the content.

Skills should reward players!

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

I assume Vayne means that if/when they bring in new JP’s you would have to complete it to be allowed to keep/use the title again.

They have this same problem in Runescape with their “questmaster” cape. Basically you get to use/show off that you have completed every quest in the game. However every time they bring in a new quest everybody has to do it to be able to wear said cape again. It’s a silly treadmill of sorts…

Right.

But.

It doesn’t work that way. We already have an achievement THAT ALREADY WORKS LIKE what the suggested jumping puzzle achievement does.

Doesn’t anybody know how “Been There, Done That” works? Seriously? Once you’ve unlocked it once, you keep it. Even after they add more points of interest. Even after they add more renown hearts. No matter what they add, the people that already have “Been There, Done That” keep it. It’s theirs permanently.

The Jumping Puzzle title achievement would work, hypothetically, the exact same way. It wouldn’t matter if more jumping puzzles were added. You’d still keep the title.

Seriously. People. Not that hard to understand.

But the problem there would be that it’d be much harder for newer players to get the title than older ones. Instead of doing, say, 30 JP’s for the title, you now have to do 60 JP’s.

Again, this is how it works with Been There, Done That, yet that achievement is still in the game. If you complete it now, you’ll have a handful more stuff to earn (they have added more PoIs and Hearts since launch…), yet it’s still available for people to earn. Yes, the later you get it, the more work you have to do, but that’s just how it is. It’s no reason to not have an achievement just because it would work that way. Especially since we already have a precedent.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

(edited by ShadowDragoonFTW.3418)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They need a title like Jumping Master classic, that gives you a title if you get all the original puzzles. Then it’s an even playing field for everyone.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Honestly, I think it would work.

They could add a multi-tier meta-achievement that counts how many unique jumping puzzles you have completed, and after adding x new jumping puzzles, add a new tier to the achievement.

Titles could work in a similar way. A new title after 10, 20, 30 jumping puzzles.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Right.

But.

It doesn’t work that way. We already have an achievement THAT ALREADY WORKS LIKE what the suggested jumping puzzle achievement does.

Doesn’t anybody know how “Been There, Done That” works? Seriously? Once you’ve unlocked it once, you keep it. Even after they add more points of interest. Even after they add more renown hearts. No matter what they add, the people that already have “Been There, Done That” keep it. It’s theirs permanently.

The Jumping Puzzle title achievement would work, hypothetically, the exact same way. It wouldn’t matter if more jumping puzzles were added. You’d still keep the title.

Seriously. People. Not that hard to understand.

But the problem there would be that it’d be much harder for newer players to get the title than older ones. Instead of doing, say, 30 JP’s for the title, you now have to do 60 JP’s.

Again, this is how it works with Been There, Done That, yet that achievement is still in the game. If you complete it now, you’ll have a handful more stuff to earn (they have added more PoIs and Hearts since launch…), yet it’s still available for people to earn. Yes, the later you get it, the more work you have to do, but that’s just how it is. It’s no reason to not have an achievement just because it would work that way. Especially since we already have a precedent.

I understand it, but you have to admit there is a HUGE difference between the odd point of interest here and there compared to the multitude of jumping puzzles that they could add. Seriously how long would it take to go and hunt that 1 or 2 new point of interest? Now how long might it take to do that all new, harder than ever before JP that they add to the game? As for the hearts I am sure they only added those extra ones to help balance out the starter areas with regards to the new player levelling thing so I doubt they will add any more of those in the future. Even so it only took me tops 10 mins to complete the 3 new hearts and they were in no way at all a challenge.

It’s like Zaxares.5419 said, some players would have it a lot easier than others. Right now I have all complete so that means I would get the title right? Now lets fast forward the game 5 years and lets say they have added another 20-30 jp’s by then. So new players have to do a lot more work than me?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Now lets fast forward the game 5 years and lets say they have added another 20-30 jp’s by then. So new players have to do a lot more work than me?

And how many zones do you think they’ll add by then? Full, fleshed-out zones, not just little segments like we’ve been getting with the Living Story.

A lot of people think that, once we get so far into the living story, some of the zones we’re in right now will become full zones like the ones that existend since launch. Which means, every vista, PoI, skill point, and waypoint in, say, Dry Top, will be needed to get Been There Done That. And that’s one zone that’s been added during one single season of Living Story (theory is it will be finished at the end of Season 2). So, let’s add four more new fairly large zones, all of which need to be level 80 to even get into.

Is it still fair for people to be grandfathered in to BTDT? Because I think so. If you get there early, and earn the achievement early, then that’s your bonus. You have to do less to retain it than, comparatively, new people would. They’re late to the party, but they can still earn the achievement and title, they just have to do more work for that. I think that’s completely fair, especially when using your example of “five years down the line”.

If you honestly think nothing is going to change enough in five years that it will be “unfair” for new players, then you haven’t been paying enough attention to the state of the game to this point. People are already grandfathered into Traits without having to unlock them for their characters, and that’s hardly the only thing.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]