Achievement Leaderboards

Achievement Leaderboards

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

Leader boards and such ladders are supposed to be competitive. Given that, I think it’s irrational to throw away the achievement points gotten from doing the daily/monthly; it shows dedication to playing the game. If someone plays the game every day for a year, and I decide to take a couple of moths off, of course they should be ahead of me on the leader board. They put more time and more dedication into the game than I did, and demanding I should be on equal footing with someone who played the game months longer than I is just absurd.

Also, asking to be able to catch up to someone who has been playing the game for a year longer than you is just absurd.

Also, look up the definition of ACHIEVEMENT. Your argument is invalid.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Aaron.6103

Aaron.6103

The #1 guy will have to do 100% of the dailies every day for those extra few points to guarantee that spot. Sounds troublesome, but some people are just that hardcore to be #1.

In the end, the amount of achievement points will be tied to how many days you’ve actively played, giving no chance for a new account to ever catch up to a veteran. Just a years worth of dailies by itself is a huge gap (10 points a day, 365 days = 3650 points). Isn’t it basically the same thing as being able to buy points through salvaging (age vs gold)? On the other side however, what would be the point of an achievement scoreboard once a lot of people have 100%’d everything, though the 100%ers are usually a very small minority.

Saw a post where someone already has 25,000 points what is the most anyone has so far?

I’m that someone.

I doubt anyone got higher. I cornered the salvage market for months in order to get that high.

Unless you’re also the guy recently featured in an anti salvaging achievement point thread, someone else has around 36k points. Don’t remember where the thread is, was a week or two ago.

Yeah that was me, you’re misremembering the number.

Nah, the guy with 35,000 achievement points is me. This will be my first and probably only forum post, because I don’t usually like bragging. Achievement points are not the only thing I have. I also have three legendary weapons and have about 40 Agony resist with of ascended gear on my main and 8 level 80s one for each class. Anyway, I do like this change, this will allow me more free time to do more things in the game. Hopefully I’ll still be in the top of the leaderboards once all my points are removed, I have not missed a single daily since the game out so there’s a good chance.

Attachments:

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Nah, the guy with 35,000 achievement points is me.

It was you. (original source)

I have not missed a single daily since the game out so there’s a good chance.

But have you 9/5 the daily since the change, because those extra 4 points will end up being worth a lot – 1460 a year, making them worth a lot more than any other achievement. You’re probably already doing this however.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

The players who have high agent of entropy achievement points are using it to make money. The only thing that agent of entropy does now is show other how much money players have made with it. Easy to figure out that you can make money salvaging some how, with agent of entropy giving infinite points and being in trademans achievement window.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

(edited by Ulion.5476)

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Instead ‘truncating’ the values with a cap and effectively removing all that progress, can’t you split the surplus into entries in a separate category for unlimited repeatable things that do not add achievement points?

Like some sort of ‘overachiever’ rating that doesn’t count for rankings and it’s not viewable by others anywhere but in the website rankings, and it’s only for informative purposes.

Or maybe simple stats that count the things you’ve done, but do not add achievement points past a number, they just keep the extra values as a record.

Maybe simply keeping the numbers increasing past the cap without adding more ranks or points in the achievement panel, like many titles did in GW1.

I don’t have big numbers on anything of that. But I think those who got big numbers will feel like they have lost something.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Of course people will feel like that are lose something when they log in and see most of their achievement points gone. But what items do you gain from achievement pts? Nothing.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Of course people will feel like that are lose something when they log in and see most of their achievement points gone. But what items do you gain from achievement pts? Nothing.

Nothing….. yet.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

idk how i feel about an achievement ranking board. i think i feel the same way that i felt about Legendary Survivor in GW1 once you could use Lightbringer Scrolls in Kilroy’s Boxing Dungeon to get it or just trade in the hammers. With Infinitely repeating points being given out(even though they are capping them) it’s not all that impressive. It makes the number feel pretty arbitrary. It would be more impressive if we know what the max number was available and see how many points the leader had out of that. With Agent of Entropy, it is just kinda like, “Oh, that dude has wasted a ton of time salvaging stuff. Cool. I guess.”

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Coming from a background of doing competitive WvW since the Pre-release I see WvW players getting snuffed out again. I have 106 achievement point in my WvW category and though I play PvE a lot I know that many people in my guild do nothing more than WvW, and miss out on being top leaders of things like this. I notice that nobody who’s got more than 7,000 achievement points and has posted their account screens has had anything more in the realm avenger achievement than the tier 1 shield. I’m severely disappointed yet again that ANet’s design for another newly implemented game system has turned it’s back on fellow DubvDubers.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Articluna.4509

Articluna.4509

Coming from a background of doing competitive WvW since the Pre-release I see WvW players getting snuffed out again. I have 106 achievement point in my WvW category and though I play PvE a lot I know that many people in my guild do nothing more than WvW, and miss out on being top leaders of things like this. I notice that nobody who’s got more than 7,000 achievement points and has posted their account screens has had anything more in the realm avenger achievement than the tier 1 shield. I’m severely disappointed yet again that ANet’s design for another newly implemented game system has turned it’s back on fellow DubvDubers.

I’m sorry to hear this.

Attachments:

OooOOoohh, box of shinies. So many shinies!
Outsource rng → profit.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Closing out/capping repeatable AP points is a mistake. Especially if you intend to introduce a “leaderboard”. In having the same available points to earn, there won’t any use for the new feature, as everybody will pretty much be neck and neck at the top tiers.

If the repeatable points are going to be nerfed on those accounts that earned them already, they should roll back all the APs earned from dailies as well. For all intents and purpose those are exactly the same thing, and taint the leaderboards in the exact same way as repeatable (infinitely repeating) tracks like Dungeon Hobbyist, Salvaging, etc. do.

Think about it.

As we warned earlier this year, we’ll be closing out the infinitely repeatable achievements and capping them at a reasonable achievement number due to these rankings and the rewards we plan to add to total achievement points someday. These achievements will get capped with this release.

Daily/Monthly achievements won’t be changed.

If the infinitely repeatable AP tracks are removed, and points that were earned above your threshold are removed from player that previously earned them, how can you justify letting players keep AP points earned for dailies?

Essentially you’re closing out a large portion of the player base that didn’t play since launch, as they will never have the same opportunity to catch those that did. How is this fair in a leaderboard/reward scenario?

At least with uncapped repeatable AP content, there is a chance for newer players to compete. I’m quite annoyed that Dungeon Hobbyist is being removed, specifically.

(edited by Firebaall.5127)

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: warmaster bacon.3548

warmaster bacon.3548

Saw a post where someone already has 25,000 points what is the most anyone has so far?

I’m that someone.

I doubt anyone got higher. I cornered the salvage market for months in order to get that high.

someone on reddit got a screencap of someone with 35,000

Achievement Leaderboards

Firebaall.5127

someone on reddit got a screencap of someone with 35,000

Which I understand is mainly from salvaging (as all those in the 5 figure AP club, are likely to have done). I agree these need to be rolled back and capped.

That makes sense.

Removing all repeatable AP tracks is not a well thought out move. There should always be something available to earn points through true game effort in a repeated fashion. ala Dungeon Hobbyist.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Removing all repeatable AP tracks is not a well thought out move. There should always be something available to earn points through true game effort in a repeated fashion. ala Dungeon Hobbyist.

You mean how many cof p1 runs can someone do each day? What a nice achievements and “true game effort” that is.

Achievement Leaderboards

Firebaall.5127

You mean how many cof p1 runs can someone do each day? What a nice achievements and “true game effort” that is.

Compared to salvaging thousands (100’s of thousands of times)? Yes, playing the dungeons paths is true game effort in comparison.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Seriously, some people really don’t know have a life besides GW2 lol.

As long as I get a good AP —→ Laurels then I’m happy.

I really hope the conversion is not as high as 100AP=1 Laurel…

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

I’m sorry to hear this

Attachments:

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

I understand the PvP leaderboards, but a leaderboard for achievement points is completely unnecessary.

Achievement Leaderboards

Viking Jorun.5413

I’m still unimpressed with the amount of WvW those of you with more than 7k achievement points have done. You’re on rank 2. Congrats. I have 42k kills in W kittenittenhus rank 4, nearly rank 5. My point is that those of us who WvW and rarely PvE will find little to no love in this achievement tracking system.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I have about 6,200 achievements and I don’t go out of my way to do repeatable achievements. I don’t see my achievement score dropping that terribly much.

Achievement Leaderboards

Verdelet Arconia.6987

I’m still unimpressed with the amount of WvW those of you with more than 7k achievement points have done. You’re on rank 2. Congrats. I have 42k kills in W kittenittenhus rank 4, nearly rank 5. My point is that those of us who WvW and rarely PvE will find little to no love in this achievement tracking system.

nothing impressive with wvw kills actually. you can be fully equiped with ascended/exotics and kill lvl 2 players with blue rarity amours for a kill count.
at least in spvp everyone is of the same level with equal amount of trait points and has the same standard equipment available to them for free

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

If the infinitely repeatable AP tracks are removed, and points that were earned above your threshold are removed from player that previously earned them, how can you justify letting players keep AP points earned for dailies?

Essentially you’re closing out a large portion of the player base that didn’t play since launch, as they will never have the same opportunity to catch those that did. How is this fair in a leaderboard/reward scenario?

So it’s not fair that the players who have played consistantly since day 1 are going to be at the top of the leaderboard?

Okay.

We’re talking about a leaderboard for achievements. Things that people have achieved while playing the game. If I’ve played longer than someone, I think it’s fair that I have a larger potential for achievement.

Plus, if they actually removed daily/monthly, there would be a hard cap on achievement points, and a leaderboard would just look stupid in a few year’s time when 1000+ people have ALL the achievements possible.

In my opinion, the leaderboard will be mostly based on daily/monthly, and I don’t think there is a huge problem with that.

Quick math.

9×30×6 = Around 1620 points from dailies alone so far. And that’s not counting the extra 4 points we’ve been able to grab for the last little while.

That’s in no way comparable to the ridiculous numbers reached from Agent of Enthropy.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

The players who have high agent of entropy achievement points are using it to make money. The only thing that agent of entropy does now is show other how much money players have made with it. Easy to figure out that you can make money salvaging some how, with agent of entropy giving infinite points and being in trademans achievement window.

Uh not true. Entropy shows how much money you’ve spent, not how much you’ve gained. Do you have any idea how much it would cost do get that many achievement posts? I reckon that person has spent well over 1kg buying the cheapest salvagable material. And you need 200 of those to get ONE point.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Achievement Leaderboards

Viking Jorun.5413

nothing impressive with wvw kills actually. you can be fully equiped with ascended/exotics and kill lvl 2 players with blue rarity amours for a kill count.
at least in spvp everyone is of the same level with equal amount of trait points and has the same standard equipment available to them for free

Not my point. My point is that people who WvW over PvE are getting snuffed on these rankings.

Achievement Leaderboards

Verdelet Arconia.6987

Not my point. My point is that people who WvW over PvE are getting snuffed on these rankings.

Ah ok,understood your point. Yeah,not much achievement points for wvw and the progress to next tier is very far apart

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

An Achievement Leaderboard?

Really?

There was nothing else for the Dev’s to spend their time and money on then to elevate some players above others and make them “special” as opposed to the other 99.9% of us?

Now we will all be judged by our position (or lack thereof) on the Achievement Leaderboard.

Bad move, Anet.

Achievement Leaderboards

Viking Jorun.5413

An Achievement Leaderboard?

Really?

There was nothing else for the Dev’s to spend their time and money on then to elevate some players above others and make them “special” as opposed to the other 99.9% of us?

Now we will all be judged by our position (or lack thereof) on the Achievement Leaderboard.

Bad move, Anet.

I can agree with this. The fact that they’re creating more opportunities for elitists to boast makes me sad.

Achievement Leaderboards

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I’m not an elitist.

In game I’m probably one of the nicest people you’ll meet.

But I sure as sugar will be trying to get to the top of these leaderboards. Because being the top of something is cool, even if you aren’t going to brag about it. A lot of player want to acheive everything in a game, so knowing they are closer than a lot of other people is fairly appealing.

Also, I started achievement hunting lately and I’ll tell you, some of the things that you normally don’t do that are required for achievements are very fun. A lot of the jumping puzzles for example are amazing. The end of Griffon Rook Run for example…

Breathtaking.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Getting rid of the salvaging achievements is a step in the right direction, but dailies still ruin it. Looking at someone with a high achievement score doesn’t tell me they’ve mastered a whole lot of aspects of the game, it just means they log in for 15 minutes to finish their daily every day and haven’t taken a long break from doing so. They could have hardly done anything else at all in GW2 for all I know. It isn’t exactly impressive.

As time goes on it’s going to get even worse. The regular achievements you get for actually achieving things in the game will be a drop in the giant daily bucket to the point where you might as well just rename achievements into “dailies completed”. Hope you aren’t a new player that cares about achievements. It makes me really not care about them.

(edited by Vargs.6234)

Achievement Leaderboards

Viking Jorun.5413

I’m not an elitist.

In game I’m probably one of the nicest people you’ll meet.

But I sure as sugar will be trying to get to the top of these leaderboards. Because being the top of something is cool, even if you aren’t going to brag about it. A lot of player want to acheive everything in a game, so knowing they are closer than a lot of other people is fairly appealing.

Also, I started achievement hunting lately and I’ll tell you, some of the things that you normally don’t do that are required for achievements are very fun. A lot of the jumping puzzles for example are amazing. The end of Griffon Rook Run for example…

Breathtaking.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve been doing the same thing for a while and I’m currently at 6,683 points, but I feel that the leaderboards will be gated in the sense that those people with the crazy high amounts will always be at the top and those of us who haven’t worked on Agent of Entropy or done all of the PvE content since launch won’t ever be able to be on the top.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Zak Mcracken.5286

Zak Mcracken.5286

Uh not true. Entropy shows how much money you’ve spent, not how much you’ve gained. Do you have any idea how much it would cost do get that many achievement posts? I reckon that person has spent well over 1kg buying the cheapest salvagable material. And you need 200 of those to get ONE point.

This perception is incorrect. Unless you are buying the wrong salvageable materials you should be making money by salvaging. The margins are usually very small because the market is competitive and the salvaging itself is very tedious so it is not as worthwhile as the more mainstream ways of making money, ex. CoF farming, meta-event spamming.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Kat Dugan.1387

Previous

Kat Dugan.1387

Gameplay Programmer

@ColinJohanson: Really looking forward to this, I think it’s essential that goals be put in that aren’t dependent on constant dev time.

You have any idea if you guys will be able to save the actual salvage amounts even if they aren’t counted towards the AP score? Would be a shame to throw away 1.5 million salvages even if it’s just something people can see themselves. (Would be a nice idea to apply this to all capped achievements as well.)

Yes, the actual repeatable achievement counts will still be tracked. Unfortunately you won’t be able to see your totals in this upcoming release. We’ll make it visible from the achievement panel in a future update.

Achievement Leaderboards

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I’m not going to lie, I’ve been doing the same thing for a while and I’m currently at 6,683 points, but I feel that the leaderboards will be gated in the sense that those people with the crazy high amounts will always be at the top and those of us who haven’t worked on Agent of Entropy or done all of the PvE content since launch won’t ever be able to be on the top.

No worries sir! They are taking away the points gained by Agent of Entropy. They have announced as such.

So just the players who have been faithful to their dailies since Day 1 will be on top. But on top of those will be the players who have been faithful to thier dailies as well as doing achievement hunting.

I myself am only at like 5400. Hearing about people at 7k+ without using Agent of Entropy just scares me. Makes me think the leaderboard might be fair anyway, regardless of dailies, because even without dailies, they would be leagues beyond me. I’ll just be happy to be in the top 10%.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

My thoughts…

Leader boards are naturally competitive and need to measure infinitely scaling progress and/or progress that can be reset. They measure who is best at something daily/weekly/monthly/yearly/foreverly. A leader board is not a leader board if it only measures capped achievements.

Leader boards can be applied to sPvP and WvW without producing dissonance because that content is also naturally competitive. As well, all progress on a PvP leader board is gate-kept by other players and not content. While players argue for better class balance, we never argue that the developers make PvP or WvW easier. PvP and WvW leader boards will not increase the work load of objective balancing nor introduce subjective balancing issues.

GW2 PvE is designed to minimize competition between players and the bulk of PvE achievements are hard-capped. Leader boards are tuned 180 degrees out of sync with GW2 PvE and will create dissonance. PvE achievements should be saved for something like a HoM on a stick, something that delivers on the philosophy of play to display. The social aspect of GW2’s PvE is too important to risk.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

I don’t know when ppl will realize that there is no point in having those leaderboards even in spvp. As long as the achievments are just a matter of time to get.

These leader boards make sence when there are achievments like:
for pve:
-Complete each fractal on scale 80 naked
- complete dungeon / in a certain time limit
- solo some dungeonbosses
- do certain dungeons without ever getting hit by boss attack ( dunno if you can see if he actually was in the fight )
for spvp:
- hold point against 3 guys in a match ( with a certain high hidden ranking ) over 3 minutes
- hit 5 ppl with a trebuchet shot
- win a tpvp match ( certain hidden ranking as we’ll ) without getting killed
for wvw:
- get a t3 tower / keep / castle in a certain time
- kill over 500 ppl without getting (killed ultimate wvw survivor)
- heal up 10 ppl in a certain time 2 mins

at the moment achievments are just a matter of time not of skill.
As posted before.. I’m scale 80 fractals since about 3 months, still I got less achievment points in fractals for going so deep than ppl who have unlocked scale 28 but played 500 fractals already.

I really up for the competition of getting on top of the boards .. if anet manages to make it hard to get there, so it’s a matter of skill not of time.. in pvp as we’ll as in pve and wvw all achievment points aren’t skill related. It doesn’t matter if you kill or get a tower in t6 or in t1(or if you took down a t3 castle or a t1 wood castle). It doesn’t matter if you play good in spvp to get loads of achievment points you just have to play a certain time. It doesn’t matter if you play good in pve as we’ll you just have to go for the 1000 ettins ect kills..

first scale 81 fractals

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Patrikan, while some of your ideas for achievements sound like fun and worthwhile, they are missing something important, the ability to be applied to a ranking system.
I’ll use just one example: completing each fractal on scale 80 naked.

How would you rank one player’s nude fracting over another player’s without using time? Unless you measure how quickly a fractal is fracted while nude or the number of fractals fracted nude per minute, there is no way to compare nude fracting.

Leader boards will always measure time.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan, while some of your ideas for achievements sound like fun and worthwhile, they are missing something important, the ability to be applied to a ranking system.
I’ll use just one example: completing each fractal on scale 80 naked.

How would you rank one player’s nude fracting over another player’s without using time? Unless you measure how quickly a fractal is fracted while nude or the number of fractals fracted nude per minute, there is no way to compare nude fracting.

Leader boards will always measure time.

Maybe this was a bad example / maybe I’d change it on whole party needs to be nude and it’s only for the bosses. ( there’s a similar achievment in diablo 3). The bosses are already quite hard on that scale ( we’ll most of the bosses ). Doing em Nude with a whole party would be an extra Challenge.. For doing those nude you need more time yes / and can’t get hit by mobs in some cases at all ( it’s basicaly similar to achievment not getting hit at all during a bossfight or somthing:))

first scale 81 fractals

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I doubt that any reward for achievement points would give any competitive advantage and that would be the only reason I would see acceptable for fretting over new players not having daily, monthly, repeatable points. Why shouldn’t someone who has been playing longer have more achievement points?

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Achievement Leaderboards

Firebaall.5127

So it’s not fair that the players who have played consistantly since day 1 are going to be at the top of the leaderboard?

Okay.

We’re talking about a leaderboard for achievements. Things that people have achieved while playing the game. If I’ve played longer than someone, I think it’s fair that I have a larger potential for achievement.

Plus, if they actually removed daily/monthly, there would be a hard cap on achievement points, and a leaderboard would just look stupid in a few year’s time when 1000+ people have ALL the achievements possible.

In my opinion, the leaderboard will be mostly based on daily/monthly, and I don’t think there is a huge problem with that.

Quick math.

9×30×6 = Around 1620 points from dailies alone so far. And that’s not counting the extra 4 points we’ve been able to grab for the last little while.

That’s in no way comparable to the ridiculous numbers reached from Agent of Enthropy.

It’s not a question of a larger potential for achievement. It’s a question of locking out players from the same opportunity. With no repeatable content for points, there’s 100% no way for a new player to ever compete with those that did daily rewards from day one.

None.

So you believe it’s a certain group of players that deserve to hold leader board placements only because they played earlier (not necessarily longer)? That other players no matter how much they play can’t compete with them?

That’s elitist, stinks of exclusiveness, and a down right kitten poor view. Even if new players PLAYED more, DID more, they will never, ever have a chance to place higher on the leaderboards. than those that started dailies earlier.

Dailies should not be counted, if repeatable content APs are not available. To say otherwise, is wrong. It’s black and white.

In terms of fairness, repeatable achievements like the agent of entropy should be capped, due to it’s ease of point generation. Something like Dungeon hobbyist is pure insanity to remove.

(edited by Firebaall.5127)

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

So you believe it’s a certain group of players that deserve to hold leader board placements only because they played earlier (not necessarily longer)? That other players no matter how much they play can’t compete with them?

That’s elitist, stinks of exclusiveness, and a down right kitten poor view. Even if new players PLAYED more, DID more, they will never, ever have a chance to place higher on the leaderboards. than those that started dailies earlier.

Dailies should not be counted, if repeatable content APs are not available. To say otherwise, is wrong. It’s black and white.

In terms of fairness, repeatable achievements like the agent of entropy should be capped, due to it’s ease of point generation. Something like Dungeon hobbyist is pure insanity to remove.

None of this should be counted and I cringe at all the wasted time and money already spent to create a system to separate the community.

How long before your position on the leaderboard, or your position as last marks you as a “baddie” and you are ostracized.

Seriously, this is creating an elitist community who will try and bully others with the claim, “well I’m #3 on the leaderboard, I’m better than you, know more about the game than you so you just stfu.”

I’ve spent time on these forums defending the game and Anet, but every time they do garbage like this, it makes my defense harder and harder and my desire to play less and less.

That is sad. A game company deliberately creating a hierarchy within their own game so their players can be called names and abused by others.

Another check mark in the “cons” list of reasons not to play.

Thankfully I found out about this and other stuff in time. I sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay and was going to buy gems with that money out of Paypal.

I’ll be transferring that money into my bank account instead.

(edited by Halanna.3927)

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Euryon.9248

Euryon.9248

When you join a new game and notice that you can never “catch up” it can put you off and make you leave the game.

If not being able to “catch up” to people who have been playing the game for months on a “leaderboard” that has nothing but symbolic significance deters someone from playing the game, then they weren’t playing for the right reasons in the first place, and probably would have left sooner or later anyway. And frankly, I’m not interested in playing with someone whose primary purpose is to see their name on such a leaderboard.

How long before your position on the leaderboard, or your position as last marks you as a “baddie” and you are ostracized.

Seriously, this is creating an elitist community who will try and bully others with the claim, “well I’m #3 on the leaderboard, I’m better than you, know more about the game than you so you just stfu.”

If you’re playing the game with people who act like this, you need to find a new guild. If not, then wtf do you care what a bunch of strangers think about your position on a leaderboard?

There is a whole mindset going on here that is completely foreign to me. It’s like some kind of metagame where position and prestige are the real game, and the actual playing is secondary or even irrelevant.

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

I’m surprised there aren’t more leaderboards and comparable competitive achievements and stats in the game or other MMOs. MMO players are ridiculously competitive by nature and love having their name up in lights, or that special gear, mount, etc. I am guessing its because 95% of the MMO playerbase were shunned at school, maybe bullied, have very few friends if any at all, are unemployed, have poor personal hygiene, etc. Its a chance for them to be a keyboard warrior for a moment and actually become someone or something that they never could possibly achieve irl. More developers should be aware of this fact.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It very much depends. In GW1 a big problem existed with ToPK rank that was discouraging for new players. If players have the decency to not exclude people on achievement score, it won’t be a problem. We all know how theory and practice works in this scenario …

As far as “catching up” goes. Every new player should have reasonable expectations to get the top rewards in a few months of playtime. That means, getting every non-repeatable achievement should lead to the top available gear.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I honestly don’t even know why they are making a leaderboard for this. The only people on it will be people who have never missed a daily or monthly (pve and pvp).

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Achievement Leaderboards

Verdelet Arconia.6987

its great that the achievement such as salvaging is finally capped leaderboards with 35k,25k points because of extreme salvaging is pretty pointless hehe

Attachments:

Achievement Leaderboards

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Everything else you said is basically a repeat of what everyone else is already saying. But I’ll touch on the above…

If I played earlier, but not longer than you, and you did your dailies, you would have more achievement points than you.

If I played earlier, and have continued to play, and have continued to earn more achievements than you, than of course you won’t have as many points as me.

You’re calling me an elitist (which I’m not even close to being), but while we’re throwing around words that usually don’t fit, you sound entitled because you expect to be able to be a the top of the leaderboards even though you didn’t put in as much time and effort as someone else.

You’re all going to complain no matter what happens, so why does it matter?

If they keep dailies, you’ll complain they need repeatable achievements in order to make sure new players can be #1 if they try hard enough.

If they keep ALL repeatable achievements, you’ll complain that agent of entropy abusers will be #1 always.

If they removed ALL repeatable achievements (including dailies), you’ll complain that it’s just a race to see who can finish all the achievements first, then it will just be a bunch of people with 10,000k points (for example).

So you’re entitled and a complainer (which I’m sure you’re not by the way, but if you’re going to call me names, I might as well do the same).

So far the only good suggestion I’ve seen is to make more “achievement style” achievements. Things that are difficult to do, and not just time consuming.

To that, I agree.

But stripping people of a large portion of their achievements for doing something every day seems pretty cruel just so that you can feel like you have a chance of getting into the leaderboards (even if you don’t). Agent of entropy was silly though, so I’m sure we can all agree about that.

Achievement Leaderboards

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I honestly don’t even know why they are making a leaderboard for this. The only people on it will be people who have never missed a daily or monthly (pve and pvp).

That’s not true at all.

I haven’t missed a daily/monthly. I have something like 5400 points. And I have been getting plenty of other achievements too.

I see a lot of people running around with 7,000+ points. That to me is enough proof that hard work will get you into the achievement boards ahead of the people who have done dailies consistantly.

In the long run though, the people who did their dailies will slowly start to take over as they achievement hunt. And I don’t see an issue with that.

Even if they weren’t doing their dailies, people who have played the game since day 1 should have more achievements than people who just started playing. And over time, they will continue to get higher. While the new players have a chance, in reality they don’t. And eventually there would be a cap, and once that cap hits the leaderboard would be stupid and pointless.

Maybe it’s stupid and pointless now. But if it is, there’s no need to complain about it. The “elistists” will brag about it, you’ll laugh at them for bragging, and the world will move on.

One of these days the forums will learn to stop complaining about everything ANET adds to the game and instead realize that ANET is constantly giving us new content and new goals to achieve. Instead of saying “It’s awesome that ANET is giving us stuff, but I don’t like one thing about it”, we hear “This is stupid, why bother adding it if it isn’t the way I want it?”.

Achievement Leaderboards

Verdelet Arconia.6987

Dear Anet Devs, please give me the option to stop my points from increasing,i like the number haha!

Attachments:

Achievement Leaderboards

Posted by: Boolet.2968

Boolet.2968

That’s not true at all.

I haven’t missed a daily/monthly. I have something like 5400 points. And I have been getting plenty of other achievements too.

I see a lot of people running around with 7,000+ points. That to me is enough proof that hard work will get you into the achievement boards ahead of the people who have done dailies consistantly.

In the long run though, the people who did their dailies will slowly start to take over as they achievement hunt. And I don’t see an issue with that.

Even if they weren’t doing their dailies, people who have played the game since day 1 should have more achievements than people who just started playing. And over time, they will continue to get higher. While the new players have a chance, in reality they don’t. And eventually there would be a cap, and once that cap hits the leaderboard would be stupid and pointless.

Maybe it’s stupid and pointless now. But if it is, there’s no need to complain about it. The “elistists” will brag about it, you’ll laugh at them for bragging, and the world will move on.

One of these days the forums will learn to stop complaining about everything ANET adds to the game and instead realize that ANET is constantly giving us new content and new goals to achieve. Instead of saying “It’s awesome that ANET is giving us stuff, but I don’t like one thing about it”, we hear “This is stupid, why bother adding it if it isn’t the way I want it?”.

I’ll agree with you that dailies aren’t everything, having missed at least 20 dailies due to moving across the country, and not starting spvp dailies/monthlies until january… And I have 7,101 achievement points currently.

Though, I do say that it’s somewhat depressing to be at such a high amount, and due to my stance of NOT exploiting the trading post for profit, as I see doing so to be an enormous kitten move… I have yet to achieve a single legendary, get a single full set of T3 armor, I don’t have any minipets… etc. Pretty much all the “money” achievements, I’m lacking in. (including salvages)

Here, take a looksee at them.
http://i.imgur.com/lIMqSPk.jpg?1
And for those curious…
http://i.imgur.com/PXxqDgG.jpg?1

Ironically, I have 100% world completion on my war, it bugs out and shows 0% sometimes. Too lazy to get a proper picture.