Achievement cap [Merged]

Achievement cap [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

No. It does not need a cap. You think it should have a cap based on other repeatable AP, but that’s not the same as need.

The cap was put in place after multiple threads appeared on the forum begging for a cap because people were doing hours each day of daily AP grinding. However the reason they were doing all that AP grinding was removed and this also removed that reason for the cap. I think ANet should reconsider the AP cap. It’s part the rewards for doing dailies that has been in place for years and removing it from veterans is penalizing those who have played the most.

Precisely.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Salvage has a max AP cap.
The Bandit repeatable has a max AP cap.

If it’s repeatable, it does need a cap at some point. 15k is A LOT of AP just from Dailies(Dailies/Monthlies). Right now that is little less then half of what is listed. 15 000, and you only get 10 a day right now. Yes. It does need a cap.

A poor comparison at best. Daily is limited to once a day. Salvage can be done hundreds of thousands of times per day.

At launch, Agent of Entropy had no AP cap. A few people used it to reach over 25k AP in just a few months. Anet quickly capped it (and every other infinitely repeatable achievement) and rolled back the AP of everyone who had exceeded the cap.

That is completely missing the point. The daily AP is already naturally limiting because you can only ever do it once a day. Ever since they changed the daily to give a static 10 AP the original reason for capping is also no longer relevant either unless someone is going cry about having to continue playing to stay on the leaderboard.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You make an interesting point and when I get up to that stage, I’ll be keen to see if I feel differently about the AP.

You most likely won’t. He was like that since day one, it has nothing to do with his current playing time and AP gained.

If it’s repeatable, it does need a cap at some point. 15k is A LOT of AP just from Dailies(Dailies/Monthlies). Right now that is little less then half of what is listed. 15 000, and you only get 10 a day right now. Yes. It does need a cap.

A poor comparison at best. Daily is limited to once a day. Salvage can be done hundreds of thousands of times per day.

At launch, Agent of Entropy had no AP cap. A few people used it to reach over 25k AP in just a few months. Anet quickly capped it (and every other infinitely repeatable achievement) and rolled back the AP of everyone who had exceeded the cap.

That is completely missing the point. The daily AP is already naturally limiting because you can only ever do it once a day. Ever since they changed the daily to give a static 10 AP the original reason for capping is also no longer relevant either unless someone is going cry about having to continue playing to stay on the leaderboard.

I think he was supporting your argument, not countering it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Yes, good old Malediktus delivering again.^^

Even after careful reading over and over again, I still don´t really get it. So someone like Malediktus with 30K+ achievement points is/was really worried about people catching up with him when they enter now? Really? I played not exactly for AP in the first years but still have nearly 22K and so have some dailies left, but I am pretty sure that someone entering today will never catch up with me if I keep on playing.
This is just as entertaining as people complaining that they had to farm long and hard if they wanted to squeeze out every AP before it was capped at 10.
And as a little sidenote, nobody cares if you fought hard for AP, it is the same as that nobody cares if you have a legendary or not. Like everyone with over 15K, I probably did some really stupid stuff too like making some collections with a laughable reward, conquering thousands of towers or killing 5K minotaurs. But that is exactly my fault and nobodies else.

Having said that, the AP cap is stupid and should vanish or at least be expanded. There is no reason for a cap as an Ap is an AP. It is of no difference if you got the AP because you were the guy who kicked the last mushroom right between the mushroom kings legs or if you got it because you vanquished Scarlet. That´s what titles are for.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I think it’s less to do with people catching up but rather devaluing AP over time if the cap was removed.

You’d basically make the permanent achievements worth less over time since you get 10 AP every day, forever.

Personally I have 32.4k AP and I don’t use any of the reward skins so I don’t care if people can get it easier or whatever but I’d rather they add more content which will in turn mean more AP rather than devolve the game further into daily wars 2.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Its fine that you see it differently, but its still nonsense. There is literally zero achievement in doing the dailies nowadays. Back in the old days there were times where you needed 4 hours of effort if you wanted to get all daily AP (I think the max was 16 AP per day back then), now you get 10 free AP for spending 5min to do the most trivial 3 out of 12 choices.
The historic achievements are a reward for doing specific tasks as a specific point in time – tough luck if you missed them, I am missing 20 of them, too. If they were added to a combined daily/monthly/historic cap it would have basically been a waste of time to do most of them. Example: Who would redo festival minigames dozens of times if you can get the same in a few days of dailies of 5min each?
There were a lot of things I only did to get an edge over other people so I would be very upset if people could make up for it by doing a few days of trivial 5min dailies.

You are so petty. Wanting to lock newer players out of not insignificant account bonuses because you think they somehow don’t deserve it due to joining the game after you did. No new player is going to catch up to your AP, whatever it is, by doing dailies even if the amount of AP given from them was doubled. Both you and these players share the same AP cap from dailies (and you also benefited from being able to do monthly achievements and get more AP from dailies for a while, something the newer players don’t have the benefit of), yet the new players are forever locked out of the historical achievements that you finished. They won’t catch up to you, they just won’t. So I don’t see why you are so kitten worried about it.

But that doesn’t change the fact that these players still deserve the same chance that you had at getting the account bonuses and skins from the achievement chests. If you’ve been playing since launch then you could have started obtaining pinnacle skins before you had been playing GW2 for 3 years. But for a newer player, unless LWS3 comes with thousands of new AP to collect, they will have to spend the better part of 5 years to get their first pinnacle skins. That’s not fair to them, and there is no reason to be so petty over this since it literally doesn’t affect you at all.

Really now its the account boni? They are hardly worth mentioning and I would not even notice if Anet would remove the useless account boni entirely.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_rewards
Really the boni are very small for the effort spent, Anet might as well switch them over to the 30 days login reward.

I think it’s less to do with people catching up but rather devaluing AP over time if the cap was removed.

You’d basically make the permanent achievements worth less over time since you get 10 AP every day, forever.

Personally I have 32.4k AP and I don’t use any of the reward skins so I don’t care if people can get it easier or whatever but I’d rather they add more content which will in turn mean more AP rather than devolve the game further into daily wars 2.

I frequently use the high AP rewards because they actually take effort to get. I could produce several legendaries per month if I wanted to do that, reaching the next AP reward takes much more effort.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

What about individuals who enjoy GW2, but because of school or work can’t play for hours a day? In that sense, the Daily giving 10AP is something. It’s not a whole lot, really. But not everyone has the time or interest in WvW or PvP. And no, this is not an argument for “everyone must be a w1nnerrrrrr!!!!”. It’s just 10 bloody AP. That’s it. If someone only has time for Dailies, then why should any hard-core players be worried? It’ll still take a long time for those individuals to unlock the next reward chest, so why hurt players with little game time?

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Achievement points are a feature which is aimed at completionists. They will prevent this kind of players from running out of content and contribute to player retention by extending the lifetime of the game.
Losing out a hit-or-miss achievement is a slap in the face for any true completionist and can lead to that player losing interest on AP hunting. Temporary AP also makes the feature a lot less valuable at retaining new completionist minded players.
So, basically, hit-or-miss AP should never be a thing. There are many other ways to reward players for partaking on temporary content.

Dailies also mitigate content droughts and contribute to player retention by preventing players from losing touch with the game even if it’s just for a few minutes a day.

ANet had the amazing idea of mixing both concepts and created a mess which, in my opinion, is already far beyond salvation.

For non completionist players, achievement points are nothing but a reward track. For long term non completionist players, it’s actually close to a daily driven reward track, so when they reach the cap they suddenly find dailies a lot less appealing, and the daily feature loses value as a retention tool.
The removal of the cap, on the other hand, destroys the AP feature for most completionist players … well, for those who are left, as the ridiculous amount of “hit-or-miss” AP introduced over time plus a little 4 years worth of dailies barrier renders the feature mostly useless for any non veteran player.

This is a problem we would not be facing if we would just have had two independant reward tracks, one for regular AP, promoting completionism, and another one for daily/temporary AP or whatever they want to call it, encouraging regular play (although there are probably better solutions involving account bound currencies).

I just hope they’ve learnt for future releases.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Huh, it does, and I’ve maxed it out already (6 times for 30 AP total). So, I guess I don’t need to do it anymore…

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Achievement points are a feature which is aimed at completionists.

I thought they were aimed at people who want to brag about trivial things.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

People will usually show whatever accomplishment they feel “proud” about, be it the AP score, a legendary weapon or some specific title, and probably only like minded people will appreciate it to some extent.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Its fine that you see it differently, but its still nonsense. There is literally zero achievement in doing the dailies nowadays. Back in the old days there were times where you needed 4 hours of effort if you wanted to get all daily AP (I think the max was 16 AP per day back then), now you get 10 free AP for spending 5min to do the most trivial 3 out of 12 choices.
The historic achievements are a reward for doing specific tasks as a specific point in time – tough luck if you missed them, I am missing 20 of them, too. If they were added to a combined daily/monthly/historic cap it would have basically been a waste of time to do most of them. Example: Who would redo festival minigames dozens of times if you can get the same in a few days of dailies of 5min each?
There were a lot of things I only did to get an edge over other people so I would be very upset if people could make up for it by doing a few days of trivial 5min dailies.

You are so petty. Wanting to lock newer players out of not insignificant account bonuses because you think they somehow don’t deserve it due to joining the game after you did. No new player is going to catch up to your AP, whatever it is, by doing dailies even if the amount of AP given from them was doubled. Both you and these players share the same AP cap from dailies (and you also benefited from being able to do monthly achievements and get more AP from dailies for a while, something the newer players don’t have the benefit of), yet the new players are forever locked out of the historical achievements that you finished. They won’t catch up to you, they just won’t. So I don’t see why you are so kitten worried about it.

But that doesn’t change the fact that these players still deserve the same chance that you had at getting the account bonuses and skins from the achievement chests. If you’ve been playing since launch then you could have started obtaining pinnacle skins before you had been playing GW2 for 3 years. But for a newer player, unless LWS3 comes with thousands of new AP to collect, they will have to spend the better part of 5 years to get their first pinnacle skins. That’s not fair to them, and there is no reason to be so petty over this since it literally doesn’t affect you at all.

Really now its the account boni? They are hardly worth mentioning and I would not even notice if Anet would remove the useless account boni entirely.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_rewards
Really the boni are very small for the effort spent, Anet might as well switch them over to the 30 days login reward.

I frequently use the high AP rewards because they actually take effort to get. I could produce several legendaries per month if I wanted to do that, reaching the next AP reward takes much more effort.

Yes…. Hardly worth mentioning. At 30k AP you have gotten
+18% gold find
+18% magic find
+24% karma gain
+36% XP
All of the zenith skins
More than half of the Hellfire and radiant skins
Several Pinnacle skins
2,400 gems
6 exclusive titles

Those rewards aren’t insignificant. But even if they were then that is all the more reason to make them more accessible to newer players. According to you these rewards are meaningless anyway, so why does it matter if ANet helps newer players by allowing them to get the same rewards you got for the same amount of time and effort put into the game instead of almost double that? Newer players deserve the exact same chance that older players got at getting these rewards. And making newer players do dailies for almost 5 years straight, on top of completing nearly all other currently available achievements, to get there is not giving them the same chance. Like I said before, there is nothing a newer player could do to catch up to your AP because of all of the historical achievements that you did, all the AP you have that is simply inaccessible to newer players. You shouldn’t even be bothered by newer players earning AP because they quite literally cannot catch up to you unless you quit the game, even then it would take them several years.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

I almost never do my dailies, as the AP from them is capped. Why do it today when
a) I’ll reach the cap sooner or later, making going out of my way to do dailies pointless
b) not like I’ll reach 40k (or whatever it is) AP for the radiant back skin even if I do cap out my daily AP

Hell, the AP rewards are so crappy (looking STRAIGHT at the potato weapon skins that I’ve literally NEVER seen anyone using) that I’ve pretty much completely given up on actually getting more AP.

Achievement cap [Merged]

OriOri.8724

I use those Zenith skins, I happen to like some of them.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Wrong. At least in my case.

I do like putting up a title, but mine is from GW1, so it hardly applies.

My reason is to get the radiant set of armor skins. Without the cap, it was going to take me 6-7 years. With it, I’ll never make it.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Takato.5013

Takato.5013

I would like to say that the idea of merging the daily with the old monthly is extremely frustrating.

With the sum, I have the 15K from the daily, and it ended with my favorite hobby, which was to make the daily and increase the AP points.

If the idea of the sum of daily with the monthly is to encourage new players, I think it is extremely ridiculous because it ends up putting down the old players that have been supporting the game since the launch of GW2.

In short, I am very sad and disappointed with this decision of the Arena.

I do not know if anyone in the Arena will see it or, if seen, will give it importance.
But as a player ,or better, as a client, I had to say it.

Thank

(edited by Takato.5013)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

The last time i was in this thread was 26 days ago. I easily breached the 22K barrier with dailies maybe making half of my points and putting me solidly in the top 100 players of Millers sound. The best AP guy from my guild has 28K and is gaining much more AP than me because he does every ridiculous AP he can get his hands on, even the orchestra one, and he is top 10. Still we could be at the same point of you look at the leaderboard as we both stand at 90%. So it is basically worthless for anyone not in the top 100 of all! GW2 players and makes a poor argument anyway.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

It has been a month, and this topic has come up a few times now, both here and reddit, and still the Anet wall of silence on this topic continues, can a DEV who reads this forum please reply to this, or go ask someone who knows, if and when the cap will be increased/removed, so that people can continue getting the AP on dailies,

Those who are 10k behind me wont catch me no matter what, those who are 10k ahead of me I wont catch, its not about them, its about what I can achieve and being restricted for something that makes no sense shouldn’t be happening in a game like this.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I have been here since day 1 of the 3 day head start and pretty much done the daily every day and the monthly pretty much every month when that was a thing. The only exception to this was I was without a computer for 3 months.

Having said all of that I have just hit 21k achievement points and finally got my Radiant boots. Want to know how much AP’s I have from my daily? Barely even halfway through my 15k cap.

I think the current system is fine and working as intended. If it continued to let players get AP points every day it would seem like an endless thing and as others have stated, it would seem for some of us as no way to ever catch up. Even if we are long time players ourselves.

Focus on your own personal goals, the AP chest rewards and forget about this “competition” thing. Heck I left another game that was super grindy and a leaderboard fest for this game simply because it’s a lot more fun and less stressful imo, I don’t EVER want to go back to something like that.

Now if you simply want the daily to continue giving you points simply because you want easier APs and without having to put in the time and effort to earn the rest of the achievement points. All I can say to that is, “just do it” lol, suck it up and do them! :P

I would however have absolutely NO issue if they took away APs from our current totals from old/past events that are not possible to do anymore. So too the AP’s for the old monthlies since we can’t do those anymore.

However I would expect they add more achievements that everyone could do or adjust the points needed on those AP chests to cover some of the losses of our totals.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I’ve been also playing since day 1 of 3 day head start and I recently hit 22k achie points. My daily+monthly points aren’t even half way there to 15k.

With the cap I can finally slowly but surely catch up to people who have 30k cause of their maxed out dailies. If they increased the cap I’d be super annoyed.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Having rewards for AP and cap for them makes absolutely no sense. Issue with people wasting hours and hours daily was solved long ago.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

Having rewards for AP and cap for them makes absolutely no sense. Issue with people wasting hours and hours daily was solved long ago.

it makes perfect sense, dailies are not achievements and should never have rewarded AP at all

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Daily’s should never give AP anyways it really unfair to new players,this 15k cap kinda give them change but it will take lot of years and GW3 will be out at that time when they finally catch up :I

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Daily’s should never give AP anyways it really unfair to new players,this 15k cap kinda give them change but it will take lot of years and GW3 will be out at that time when they finally catch up :I

No it wont give them a chance we still got all the historical ap rewards that they will never get.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

it makes perfect sense, dailies are not achievements and should never have rewarded AP at all

Flash news – not everyone is NEET to sit there for days and grind AP from achievements he not enjoy.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

how about we remove AP from dailies entirely….
The 10AP rewarded for doing some menial tasks once per day definitely undermines a lot of other sources of permanent AP.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

My suggestion would be to keep the daily achievements, even raise the cap if it’s so wanted. But then make sure we can see permanent achievement points of other players and give a reward based on only those points.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Why is there an cap for achievement points concerning daily/monthly totals?

Per wiki : There is a cap of 15,000 Arenanet Points.png for daily and now-defunct monthly achievements combined. Once the cap is reached, additional points from the “Daily Completionist” meta achievement will no longer increase the account’s achievement points, but individual reward bonus chests will still be given out.

Frankly, I would reward 0 AP for dailies and monthlies if I had my say (and I got over 26k AP myself btw).

APs should mean something instead of just being a cheap reward track. It should be a measure of what you have accomplished in the game instead of just a variation of “/age” and how “crazy checklist oriented” you are.

Achievement cap [Merged]

OriOri.8724

Says someone who has maxed the AP he can get from dailies. If they really are so trivial and don’t deserve to reward AP then you shouldn’t care if ANet retroactively removes all AP everyone has gained from dailies right? So 15,000 less AP for you, you lose all the rewards you have gained from those chests and then everyone is happy because we don’t have to worry about daily AP again

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

To satisfy both parties, they should increase the cap by say, 1000 per year. So you have to do dailies for 100 out of 365 days instead of everyday. This will not devalue permanent achievement since there will be a cap and people who relies on daily AP can still get progress even if it’ll be time gated (i.e. every year). I haven’t maxed out my dailies yet either.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

how about we remove AP from dailies entirely….
The 10AP rewarded for doing some menial tasks once per day definitely undermines a lot of other sources of permanent AP.

In effect, the cap does that — without punishing folks who already earned rewards via daily AP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Achievement cap [Merged]

OriOri.8724

To satisfy both parties, they should increase the cap by say, 1000 per year. So you have to do dailies for 100 out of 365 days instead of everyday. This will not devalue permanent achievement since there will be a cap and people who relies on daily AP can still get progress even if it’ll be time gated (i.e. every year). I haven’t maxed out my dailies yet either.

If they keep increasing the cap then they need to increase the amount of AP that newer players can get from dailies, considering we didn’t benefit from having monthly achievements. At just 15,000 as a cap, it would take 1,500 days of doing dailies, over 4 years, to hit 15,000 if the cap was never increased.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If they keep increasing the cap then they need to increase the amount of AP that newer players can get from dailies, considering we didn’t benefit from having monthly achievements. At just 15,000 as a cap, it would take 1,500 days of doing dailies, over 4 years, to hit 15,000 if the cap was never increased.

Check the math again: increasing the cap by 1,000 means slowing the rate the newbies catch up, not preventing it from happening. It took veterans 4 years to hit the camp (3.5 for some); it will take newbies 3.3 months longer each time ANet raises the cap.

That doesn’t mean ANet should do it, of course — I just mean that I don’t consider newbie difficulties to be a sufficient reason to dismiss it.

As I’ve said before, I don’t think ANet should have added a cap; I think instead they should have removed the leaderboards (it’s PvE, not a competition). And, as I’ve said before, now that there is a cap, I don’t think it’s worth the time to remove it — people playing just for the AP aren’t usually the happiest of players, so unless ANet just wants more logins to show their investors, increasing the cap isn’t going to benefit the community.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

Says someone who has maxed the AP he can get from dailies. If they really are so trivial and don’t deserve to reward AP then you shouldn’t care if ANet retroactively removes all AP everyone has gained from dailies right? So 15,000 less AP for you, you lose all the rewards you have gained from those chests and then everyone is happy because we don’t have to worry about daily AP again

Joke is on you here. Deleting daily/monthly AP is something I suggested before. Though I suggested doubling AP of all permanent achievements in return (would put the current max possible AP at ~36k)

Achievement cap [Merged]

OriOri.8724

Joke is on you here. Deleting daily/monthly AP is something I suggested before. Though I suggested doubling AP of all permanent achievements in return (would put the current max possible AP at ~36k)

Nope. Most of the historical achievements already gave out way more AP than they should have considering the effort put into them. They need to stay where they are. You wouldn’t get your old AP doubled, you would just lose 15,000 AP from losing your dailies. Which would drop you to what, 16,000-ish AP?