Achievements Bugged? [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

In the past,i’ve lost a few hundred achievement points after a patch.Learning from history i decided to take a screenshot of my points as i fear it might be affected again in the 13 feb patch. True enough it happened again.
This time i lost 100 points, attached herein are the pictures of my points and the title to prove that it has been achieved before but now has lost a few points in some areas like Gold hoarder,lifetime survivor,weapon master,slayer etc.
Kindly assist to give back the lost points,thank you.

Attachments:

Posted by: WreckSC.1835

WreckSC.1835

Just to add to the oddness on this bug as a bit of info:

I too have lost the various achievements as mentioned already in this post however the weird bit was how I noticed it last night and it was when the Sword kills Weapon Master achievement popped back up for me hitting 5k again.

I was on my engineer, using a rifle at the time! (No I currently wasn’t using a kit and I hadn’t picked up an environmental weapon) So to have the achievements dissapear is one thing but to pick one back up when using a rifle (on a class that can’t even use a sword) was very very strange.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Same. I was using my engineer when i re-completed my staff master.

What i find funny about this whole incident is how their “no updates” update still manages to screw stuff up.

Posted by: Thanospy.7058

Thanospy.7058

I have not received the error coffers pvp rewards, anyone else have this problem?

Posted by: Asdyem.9865

Asdyem.9865

My pumpkin carver achiv is back to 0.

Posted by: Evning.8495

Evning.8495

Hey its been a day, and i understand its a rather important date, i dont expect much done.

But Lifetime Survivor has been unrecoverable for me.
4.9/5.0
I asked once, and i ask again, is this normal for the bug, or is this only me?

I dont feel like playing until this is fixed, i worry that it would complicate and i would lose the achievement completely.

Is there an emergency task force looking to solve this bug or not? Or are you all going to coast till the next patch in 2 weeks.

Dont Let this bug become another sticky note on the white board.

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

Ok, so there’s no need to freak out as it’s a confirmed bug and will be, sooner or later, addressed and we are not required to redo all those achievements, right?

Anyway, stuff i lost (by one point):

• Gold Hoarder
  • Master of Overkill
  • Staff Master
  • Scepter Master
    (oddly enough, Greatsword Master is still at 5k, unaffected)
  • All You Can Eat
  • Miniature Collection
    (again, oddly, Thirst Slayer is unaffected – still maxed)
  • Pumpkin Carving (completely reset)
  • Centaur Slayer
  • Harpy Slayer
  • Indiscriminate Slayer
  • Bandit Slayer
  • Dredge Slayer
  • Elemental Slayer
  • Flame Legion’s Bane
  • Fish Slayer
  • Inquest’s Bane
  • Nightmare Court’s Bane
  • Wurm Slayer
    (again, if it helps, those Slayer tracks have not bugged out and are still on 1k kills: Ghost, Grawl, Krait, Zhaitan’s)

Also, my Lifetime Survivor is untouched.
Just logged, haven’t progressed in any track since 12.02 yet.

Posted by: Turin.1024

Turin.1024

Just to add to the oddness on this bug as a bit of info:

I too have lost the various achievements as mentioned already in this post however the weird bit was how I noticed it last night and it was when the Sword kills Weapon Master achievement popped back up for me hitting 5k again.

I was on my engineer, using a rifle at the time! (No I currently wasn’t using a kit and I hadn’t picked up an environmental weapon) So to have the achievements dissapear is one thing but to pick one back up when using a rifle (on a class that can’t even use a sword) was very very strange.

Some utility skills count as weapons for some reason, for example an elementalist’s arcane blast will count as a sword kill.

Posted by: SandruDaniel.4386

SandruDaniel.4386

Daily kill Variety achievement bugged too? I killed all kind of mobs all day and still 0 for Daily Kill Variety.Anyone else got to 0 too ?

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

It seems the affected achievements are different for everyone. And also if it is solved is different for everyone. For me Master of Overkill and Lifetime Survivor are still bugged. For some of the members of my guild these are solved. Strange.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Daily kill Variety achievement bugged too? I killed all kind of mobs all day and still 0 for Daily Kill Variety.Anyone else got to 0 too ?

Because most likely you are looking at tomorrow’s daily. Check your clock/date settings.

As for the achievements I redid all the ones I lost. Included were a lot of slayer ones, the gold hoarder, overkill and some weaponmaster ones. waiting for anet to fix this will no doubt take a while.

Posted by: General Belisarius.2548

General Belisarius.2548

So we don’t have to redo them all right? This is terrible how does this happen over and over again. Please fix it all and set it right and specifically clarify what will happen and when you will fix the mistake it’s very disheartening to k ow how progress and achievements arnt safe anymore.

Posted by: SeppH.1836

SeppH.1836

Long shot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point#Accuracy_problems

I only appear to have lost about 10 achievements, totaling around 50 points, yet my achievement points dropped with at least 100. I know I had around 4350, and after the patch + daily 4250.

Anyone else seeing more achievements points gobbled up than the lost achievements make up for?

Yes. By a factor of about 4 to 3. If that makes sense. (200 points regained vs 150 on paper lost.) I didn’t do precise math though, only accurate to 1 digit here observing a change from 5.5k to 5.7k.

But… here’s my issue, having a) been a programmer, and b) used the gem store. How can they so keenly keep track of gem usage and fail to keep tally of achievement points? Integers are not exactly foreign objects.

So how is floating point math is to blame. Something else may be going on?

Floating point math is not to blame, but if this is the cause, the programmer that casted that integer to a float without proper unit tests is :P

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

What I don’t understand is: this is something an automated test could catch. Seems to me that there is a major lack of testing going around.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: Bean.1247

Bean.1247

Test the game ? ppffftt In GW2 the game tests you !

Sleep is a sign of caffeine deprivation !

Posted by: ppenguin.3465

ppenguin.3465

An issue i am run into yesterday was the Daily achievement as it would not allow me to get Carver, Veteran kills, nor Dodger. So, i couldn’t complete it. I want the rewards for the daily as i did complete every task.

I very rarely get logged out once Im in a zone however last night got logged twice since maintenance update.

Noticed when zoning into an area i am good but after zoning into & out of areas a total of 4 times, on the 4th one i get logged out.

Posted by: Jeremy.9875

Jeremy.9875

Test the game ? ppffftt In GW2 the game tests you !

The statement of the year right here.

Posted by: Kantankerus.6081

Kantankerus.6081

Overkill, Lifetime Survivor and many Slayer achievements all effected on my account, as well.

Posted by: Lucky.3298

Lucky.3298

welcome to beta?

sorry I don’t want laugh on problems, but seriously, why update can’t be tested before it became life?

I have all these bugs now + some one time bug (reported in game) like not getting correct DE reward or broken event; or some small issue like (NO RESULT) on sold items by trade post.

Feel very sad…

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Others have said it, but I lost Pumpkin Carver

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

rootnode.9546

I think we can safely label the beta events as public alpha testing and consider us being in beta phase right now.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: Inso.2195

Inso.2195

Overkill, Lifetime Survivor and many Slayer achievements all effected on my account, as well.

Same here, i have to fix my slayer achievements “manually” but lifetime survivor seems to stuck at 499k no matter how many hours im playing.

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

So unfortunately, the Slayer ones can be re-achieved by just playing the game. However, The Gold Hoarder, Overkill, i hope are on the fix it list.

So while the “To clarify, I am not telling you the solution is to go out and do them all again, just that when a solution does come about you will regain those points.” statement is comforting, i THINK the Slayer points may not be given back, because i THINK by then, many may have already reclaimed some or all of them by the time a fix rolls around.

So i will wait by playing more and expect a fix to the Gold Hoarder and Overkill achievement tiers.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Just noticed that the Daily Kills % is incorrect, not sure if it was correct before.

49/50 is not 98%, last time I checked… at least it works properly, just a cosmetic issue.

49/50 is 98%.

Edit: Ninja’d

Yes, I definitely deserve to be mocked and laughed at for that. For some reason I was thinking 5% increments… My math brain was obviously not working at that moment.

A

Posted by: Rudi.9230

Rudi.9230

sigh still not fixed

Jade Quary
Kneel Before Us [IMBA]
Pisces Rudi – Mesmer

rootnode.9546

sigh still not fixed

And still a major lack of communication. As always. Since Guild Wars 2 they are like goldfish…the make a mistake, people complain about the lack of communication. Then they try a bit harder for a day or two and then it starts all over again.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

sigh still not fixed

And still a major lack of communication. As always. Since Guild Wars 2 they are like goldfikittenhe make a mistake, people complain about the lack of communication. Then they try a bit harder for a day or two and then it starts all over again.

They are working on a fix. That has already been stated. Why do people always want an update when there is nothing new to update? Should they stop all of their work every hour to ensure that you know they are still working on the thing they told you they were working on already?

They’re working on it. They’ll fix it. When there is something new for them to communicate, they’ll do so. Patience is a virtue, try it out sometime.

Posted by: Diy.5296

Diy.5296

Well last time, they messed up achievement completion, it was fixed within a day. So the fact, it’s taking a while, coupled with the fact, they are looking into it, rather than id’d and will assuredly fix it soon, has some worried, they are kitten out of luck.

rootnode.9546

sigh still not fixed

And still a major lack of communication. As always. Since Guild Wars 2 they are like goldfikittenhe make a mistake, people complain about the lack of communication. Then they try a bit harder for a day or two and then it starts all over again.

They are working on a fix. That has already been stated. Why do people always want an update when there is nothing new to update? Should they stop all of their work every hour to ensure that you know they are still working on the thing they told you they were working on already?

They’re working on it. They’ll fix it. When there is something new for them to communicate, they’ll do so. Patience is a virtue, try it out sometime.

It’s about the general lack of communication. Take a look at the profession specific forums. You can go 4-5 pages back without a comment from a dev (except ranger & thief, but for the ranger it’s just a “closing this topic” and for the thief it’s a very old comment in a very long thread).
And in this case here, it’d sure help to have a comment on what caused the bug. First of all, it’d be good to know how and why such things happen to understand why such a ridiculous and kind of random bug occurs and second of all, why such a thing wasn’t detected by automated testing.

It’s not the bug itself that is “upsetting” me. I could care less if I have 50 points more or less at the moment. It’s just the handling.

Example: “We are aware of issues with the achievements. Especially for the lifetime survivor, which is not that trivial to regain as the others.” Bad. Bad Kitty. We sure hope that you’re aware of the problem. There’s been enough posts about it.
Instead, it could have said: “We have identified the cause of the achievement bug and are working on it. The fix should go live in the next few days.” or “Our dev team is currently looking into it and we will keep you updated about the progress.”
In addition, instead of just posting on twitter and then, a few hours later on the forums…

It’s just that their communication style has plenty of room for improvement. I mean, they manage to keep us updated on Facebook about every picture some player has drawn and every single kitten screenshot. But they tend to omit really talking with the community (except very rare cases).

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Since this is a huge issue, i am pretty sure they will fix it eventually. Atm, they probably had no idea how it happened or how to fix it and therefore had no idea when it will be fixed. Also, while the issue is big the consequences atm is not so just carry on as per normal while they work on it.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Like most people, I have a whole pile of achievements which I’d completed that got un-completed during the latest patch. Of them, pumpkin carving is the annoying one since it cannot be regained. Hopefully they get fixed on the 26th.

One interesting bit that has come out of this…my new mezzie loves the Feedback glamour, especially after casting Illusionary Warden, but even by itself. Anyway, she’s now ‘completed’ most of the projectile weapon achievements like Longbow Master, Dagger Master, etc even though she cannot actually use those weapons. Apparently reflected weapons count towards those achievements, and since I’d already actually completed them and only needed one to recomplete, it made it obvious what was happening which is something I didn’t know before.

What do your other characters use? All achievements are account wide, IIRC.

Posted by: Kalea.9167

Kalea.9167

It’s not the bug itself that is “upsetting” me. I could care less if I have 50 points more or less at the moment. It’s just the handling.

Example: “We are aware of issues with the achievements. Especially for the lifetime survivor, which is not that trivial to regain as the others.” Bad. Bad Kitty. We sure hope that you’re aware of the problem. There’s been enough posts about it.
Instead, it could have said: “We have identified the cause of the achievement bug and are working on it. The fix should go live in the next few days.” or “Our dev team is currently looking into it and we will keep you updated about the progress.”
In addition, instead of just posting on twitter and then, a few hours later on the forums…

It’s just that their communication style has plenty of room for improvement. I mean, they manage to keep us updated on Facebook about every picture some player has drawn and every single kitten screenshot. But they tend to omit really talking with the community (except very rare cases).

So many, many, many times over; this.

Expectations management is the key to customer satisfaction. Lack of communication on their part now for this matter does have ramifications now for players. Whether it is dissatisfaction, players running around spending precious free/play time re-doing things they normally should not have to, gamers bad-mouthing the game or creating bad feelings for the company, any number of things — these things could be managed better by a simple regular update saying “We are still working diligently to fix this for you.” Or some such public relations ‘stuff.’

The point being is that many of us would be happier to have the solution itself delayed by the 5-10 minutes that expectations management would take each day, or each 6-12 hours, to keep us happy given what we have put in to achieve in the first place, rather than get a fix on a particular date.

It’s not that things break; yadda yadda things going to break in millions of lines of code moving from stage/test to production even if we did have a public live test environment where we could migrate our characters to view real time changes before they go live… Things would still break. Maybe fewer things, but things would in fact still break. But managing players’ expectations can keep spirits high, people still playing in the game, money still being spent, rage on forums down, it can work all sorts of miracles. Something that whichever management individual or individual with the power to make the choice to invest the time to perform the expectations management at ANet has obviously declared not worthwhile.

That’s the more grievous problem here, and what chips away at customer faith in the long run, in my opinion.

rootnode.9546

So many, many, many times over; this.

Expectations management is the key to customer satisfaction. Lack of communication on their part now for this matter does have ramifications now for players. Whether it is dissatisfaction, players running around spending precious free/play time re-doing things they normally should not have to, gamers bad-mouthing the game or creating bad feelings for the company, any number of things — these things could be managed better by a simple regular update saying “We are still working diligently to fix this for you.” Or some such public relations ‘stuff.’

The point being is that many of us would be happier to have the solution itself delayed by the 5-10 minutes that expectations management would take each day, or each 6-12 hours, to keep us happy given what we have put in to achieve in the first place, rather than get a fix on a particular date.

It’s not that things break; yadda yadda things going to break in millions of lines of code moving from stage/test to production even if we did have a public live test environment where we could migrate our characters to view real time changes before they go live… Things would still break. Maybe fewer things, but things would in fact still break. But managing players’ expectations can keep spirits high, people still playing in the game, money still being spent, rage on forums down, it can work all sorts of miracles. Something that whichever management individual or individual with the power to make the choice to invest the time to perform the expectations management at ANet has obviously declared not worthwhile.

That’s the more grievous problem here, and what chips away at customer faith in the long run, in my opinion.

Exactly. I’ve played Guild Wars 1 from day 1. Sure, there have been bugs, there have been balancing issues, but it was lots more community centered. I can’t recall how often we’ve seen GMs online talking to the players and in general, it felt more like they cared. But at the moment it feels like “shut up, give us the money, so that we can completely ignore what our customers want and instead give them more content, badly designed big time events and don’t waste our time on bugs”.
I mean… there are bugs since the first beta weekend that haven’t been resolved yet. Use blink on a Mesmer while running and you’ll hover and not be animated. This is so ridiculously easy to fix, but nope…still there. But hey, instead we have an island full of crabs.

I don’t expect every little bug to be fixed right away. I just expect more communication. This achievement bug for example. It’d be nice to know how a fix that was supposed to fix crashing issues could ruin the achievement system. And it’d nice to know how long they think it’s gonna take.

There’s no harm whatsoever to update us with a little “Hey guys, we’ve encountered some problems along the way, it’s going to take until next week”. There’s more harm in no status updates at all.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

What this achievement points loss, after a so called server maintenance / reset, further confirms to me it that Anet does much more ‘tweaking’ to the game during these periods than they let on.

This has an impact on players who have been or are trying to collect statistics on loot drops, ecto salvage rates, etc. This basically invalidates any probability assumptions derived from statistical analysis because the game is not even a natural RNG system.

It is more likely that Anet fiddles with a lot more game mechanics during server maintenance than with designated patches or content updates.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

rootnode.9546

What surprises me more is that some of the achievements are bugged only for a part of the players and some other achievements for another part of the players.
It should affect the same achievements for all players. I’m starting to think that it’s the same for loot drops At least that would explain why I’ve only found around 10 exotics since release ^^

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

So unfortunately, the Slayer ones can be re-achieved by just playing the game. However, The Gold Hoarder, Overkill, i hope are on the fix it list.

So while the “To clarify, I am not telling you the solution is to go out and do them all again, just that when a solution does come about you will regain those points.” statement is comforting, i THINK the Slayer points may not be given back, because i THINK by then, many may have already reclaimed some or all of them by the time a fix rolls around.

So i will wait by playing more and expect a fix to the Gold Hoarder and Overkill achievement tiers.

While overkill can be hard for some classes it should be doable if you have a level 80. Go to southsun cove with highest singletarget, singleshot dps character. stack anything that gives you higher dps and go attack white critters. Took me about 5 crabs before I got it again.

Kalea.9167

While overkill can be hard for some classes it should be doable if you have a level 80. Go to southsun cove with highest singletarget, singleshot dps character. stack anything that gives you higher dps and go attack white critters. Took me about 5 crabs before I got it again.

Thanks for tidbits like this. While waiting for feedback from ANet on this issue, I’m sure many of us are chasing down the ones that we have control over (in spite of how it may derail our other plans). This was one I remember getting by surprise on one of my non-mains, and I couldn’t remember where.

I feel for the folks who are looking at Miniature Collector unflagged. Even redoing lifetime survivor (should I pick a day to work on zone completion for an alt in Orr) is do-able; it’s just a huge time investment the way it’s coded now. (Got all skills maxed, not going to grind skills just to get it done again. Wasteful.)

Blah. Things like this drive home why I used to get hammered on expectations management when my old boss was let down on something.

Rudi.9230

agh still not fixed ~_~
make me lazy to play

Jade Quary
Kneel Before Us [IMBA]
Pisces Rudi – Mesmer

Posted by: DrakeDK.9527

DrakeDK.9527

My broke achievements:
[Hero]
Life time Survivor: 499,999/500,000

[ Tradesman: ]
Gold Hoarder: 1,999,999/2,000,000

[ Weapon Master: ]
Master of Overkill: 299,999/300,000

I couldn’t complete “Hints Completitions” because i have all hint but I have 79/83 hints completed

Attachments:

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

It shouldn’t be that hard to update the DB where fields are *,999 to the full value.

Not even Bad Luck Brian would get killed at 499,999 xp or have 199g 99s 99c :S

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Jeremy.9875

Jeremy.9875

Seriously? No update from Anet on this yet?
As a long tome GW player, since the original’s release, I have been very disappointed with their lack of communication in several areas. Did they learn from the Carnival Cruise Line School of Public Relations. Let us know whats going on.. Please!

Rudi.9230

lol
just give all player 200g + item plus exp for survivor + item to summon pumkin infinity

Jade Quary
Kneel Before Us [IMBA]
Pisces Rudi – Mesmer

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

What surprises me more is that some of the achievements are bugged only for a part of the players and some other achievements for another part of the players.
It should affect the same achievements for all players. I’m starting to think that it’s the same for loot drops At least that would explain why I’ve only found around 10 exotics since release ^^

Hey, you’ve got me beat! Not counting exotics I’ve received for higher level map completions, I’ve only ever received one exotic in a drop. Unfortunately, it really wasn’t worth much. I was thinking, “If you’re gonna give me 1 exotic every 6 months, then at least let it be one I can sell!” lol

Posted by: Zafer.2391

Zafer.2391

Please Ncsoft, dont add GW2 to the list of the MMOs you have killed and sell Anet to Blizzard. They know how to fix bugs and actually have a decent customer support.

rootnode.9546

Oh, just noticed that Pumpkin Carver is completely at 0. I still have the title Master Carver though.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: LoonieMoonie.8379

LoonieMoonie.8379

During a January update: still have the Pumpkin Carver Title, but lost the 17 points for it.

During the most recent server maintenance, lost 55 points: 3531 points before server maintenance, 3486 after – took screenshots.

40 points in Slayer categories lost, reset to 999/1000: Centaur,Spider, Indescriminate Killer, Dredge, Ghost, Nightmare Court’s Bane, Skritt, and Zhaitan’s Bane.
These seem to correctly completing, as I kill the respective category.

10 points in All You Can Eat, did complete/regain already.

Lifetime Survivor reset to 499,999 and points gone. Spent a lot of time and used boosters to get this one…not too happy at prospect of having to redo this one.

Weapon Master- Overkill – reset to 299, 999 from 300, 000, but does not appear points were deducted.

I have lost achievement points in the past, most notably a bunch during a November patch, but I had no way to accurately determine where I lost the points. I have since been trying to track, but that is not always possible, not to mention not realistic to have to screenshot everything prior to logging off before an announced patch/maintenance.

A cummulative counter of points gained in daily/monthly categories, would have been helpful to players keeping track of total achievement points.

(edited by LoonieMoonie.8379)

Posted by: doenerfritze.2648

doenerfritze.2648

Just to be on the “list”: Same thing here.

Master of Overkill, Lifetime Survivor and some Slayer Achievements, which are mostly redone by now, are reduced by 1.
Also the Pumpkin Carver is completly empty (Title still exists), but that’s from the January Update as others stated already. Last but not least, the Hints Achievement (82/83 with all Hints checked), which is by far the oldest Bug.

So nothing “new” here.

Posted by: HierUndDa.9235

HierUndDa.9235

Same here, couple of slayer achievments missing which are all redone.. still missing gold hoarder achievment which is most annoying :/
and as for everybody the pumking carver achievment is bugged since ages

Kalea.9167

A cummulative counter of points gained in daily/monthly categories, would have been helpful to players keeping track of total achievement points.

Too true.

I know how many dailies I have missed (4 pve, 3 pvp) and monthlies (the pvp portion of the first pve, so what would that be worth?? etc), but not how many I have completed. I’d need to pull a calendar out and look at it. It would be nice if there was a running total. I also no longer have a way to look up easily how many points the old style daily total was worth vs. the new one. Someone might have it archived somewhere, but since this last mess, I took the time to actually create a spread sheet and document what I’ve done, point totals. This is silly. I’d rather take the time to play than to bookkeep on behalf of a computer.

I know I mentioned previously that not everything could be caught on a beta server due to idiosyncracy of live vs. test. But… a database (really can’t think of a non-inflammatory descriptor here uhm…) error of this magnitude is the sort of thing you would think some of us might have caught.

Why isn’t there a public test server? Am I mis-imagining how things must work going from dev to test where testing is performed?

Anyway, back to (re)installing a different game on this new machine; came by to see if ANet had said anything about this before the long weekend. Such things will influence my spending habits.

Rudi.9230

no reply from anet? ~_~
keep refreshing this page 2 days no respond no fix
sigh…..

Jade Quary
Kneel Before Us [IMBA]
Pisces Rudi – Mesmer