in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Apparently I’m hungry enough to eat forum bugs. /CHOMP

Action Camera: Further Information

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Short form, point and shoot. There’s now a toggle that will bring up a reticle and when it’s over something, that something becomes the target.

There are a few additional targeting changes being tossed in at well.

https://youtu.be/6kbTbs3YC_g?t=1h5m23s

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

Ok, thanks everybody!

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

I have the strafe keys, Q and E, bind to A and D. Does it work as it’s supposed to in action camera? If I start to Rapid fire a mob on my left, pressing D to strafe to the direction I was moving, does the character face the mob?

Posted by: Trickfully.1830

Trickfully.1830

hey joel. amazing work youve done REALLY hyped for it. Just a question tho, i really like when i run around and just explore to have my char in the middle of the screen. But in combat have it to the side. Would it be possible to have an option where theres 2 states of the horizontal camera postion?

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

Question… and it may have been asked before.

Will there be an option to have the camera follow a locked target without having to move the mouse? That is so you will always have the target in the center of the screen?

And also, thank you for the new camera system! :-D

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

Hello. As a ranger main i was wondering about the Celestial form skill 1. How can we heal our mele team mates when they are close to the boss because the cursor will target/lock on the boss because he’s way bigger than the characters? Also if we have snap target and auto lock is our #1 be dropped always in the center of the boss?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

So will action camera allow us better accuracy to fire at people’s heads on top of WvW walls and be able to hit them easier or will the same invis target barriers be in place? My Thief can fire Skill1 arrows at people right on edge of wall and get obstructed dispite a clear visible path to their character if I viewed them in first person mode for example.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: ArtemusHunter.9521

ArtemusHunter.9521

Question for Joel:

Did you ever consider binding dodge to right click? This action camera is cool, and I like the idea of basically adding a focus target option(that’s what right click lock target sounds like in my opinion), but I’ve personally been using ICM for a long time now and dodge right click feels like a better fit.

Also, will the lock target option be able to be rebound?
(if so, I think I’ll bind it to Shift+F or something and think of it as a focus target thing, and put dodge on right click if possible.. lol)

IGN: Floyd Hunter
TheRavingNecromancer.tumblr.com

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Two questions

1. Is there any problem with using a mouse program to rebind right and left mouse click to different buttons to fix the issue you guys have with mouse input? And could that effect ICM negatively?

2. Will there be an option to reverse the two buttons? I find holding down the right MB and tapping the left is much easier.

The reason I ask is right now I have my autoattack keybind set to 9 and my dodge keybind set to 0, and I use software to change the input from the left and right mouse buttons to be read as 9 and 0. And I use this with the ICM mod which holds the right mouse button down for me. The result is that I autoattack with my left mouse button, and dodge with my right while using a targeting reticule.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

If you have the option to re-target skill mid use and your target goes into stealth will it continue to ‘track’ them like on live or will it ‘re-target’ to shooting at the cross-hair where there is no other target in your cross-hair.

For example I’m playing ranger and use my rapid fire(long bow 2) skill with re-target disabled and a thief goes into stealth. I continue to hit him with rapid fire until the end of the attack.
I’m playing ranger and use my rapid fire(long bow 2) skill with re-target enabled and a thief goes into stealth. What happens?
No other target selected

• I continue to hit the thief
  • I start shooting at my crosshair

Other target get’s selected (aimed at)

• I switch to the new target

I feel like it should be:
No other target selected

Other target get’s selected (aimed at)

• I switch to the new target
Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

Posted by: CorliCorso.6254

CorliCorso.6254

Did you ever consider binding dodge to right click? This action camera is cool, and I like the idea of basically adding a focus target option(that’s what right click lock target sounds like in my opinion), but I’ve personally been using ICM for a long time now and dodge right click feels like a better fit.

I think they addressed that during the stream – it was mooted, but current right-click behaviour is too embedded in the code to be able to change it right now (or something along those lines)

Posted by: ArtemusHunter.9521

ArtemusHunter.9521

I think they addressed that during the stream – it was mooted, but current right-click behaviour is too embedded in the code to be able to change it right now (or something along those lines)

I had just watched the video of the stream before I asked. It wasn’t addressed, all he said was that they weren’t sure what to do with right click at first, that the first thought was a zoom feature – but that it didn’t work, then they thought of it being rebound to the second skill, but that it didn’t work with some weapons, then finally they settled on the lock target.

Nothing else was stated on what it could of been and he proceeded to move onto the next part – showing off the lock target feature. If it had been stated during the stream/recording, then I must of missed it because that doesn’t sound familiar.

IGN: Floyd Hunter
TheRavingNecromancer.tumblr.com

Posted by: SpudMan.5041

SpudMan.5041

Just want to say I’m going to play this game again purely because of the new action camera feature. Keep it up ArenaNet! This will make it super easy for those of us wanting to play the game with xpadder

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Two questions.
Has this been tested with anything resembling the actual network latency most players of this game have?

Has this been tested with the horrific framerate stutter from massed particle effects?

This has been tried in MMOs before. Even the hyperbole isn’t new. Systems like this require the cursor/target to actually be where you see it on screen, and skills to fire without delay.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Xion.5694

Xion.5694

Do we get an xbox controller support for this feature?

Posted by: AlumAtWar.8206

AlumAtWar.8206

I saw the description of the camera changes and play GW (since intial release) and played many fewer hours of GW2 as it does not play like real Guild Wars franchise. I have only continued to play GW2 as I personally do not like FPS – gives me vertigo. I have yet to purchase HoT and after the recent changes to make it more like a FPS should I just retire from this franchise. I know allot of you like these changes and just ask for input before making a purchase. Constructive advice would be appreciated.

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

Any plans on lowering the target? It looks a bit high. Maybe give us some horizontal and vertical options like in Elder Scrolls Online?

Thanks!

Posted by: StickAndMove.6419

StickAndMove.6419

I have only continued to play GW2 as I personally do not like FPS – gives me vertigo. I have yet to purchase HoT and after the recent changes to make it more like a FPS should I just retire from this franchise. I know allot of you like these changes and just ask for input before making a purchase. Constructive advice would be appreciated.

This is not a mandatory change and there will be a toggle button used to swap between the two modes. It is unbound by default so, come launch, you won’t have to do anything.

If that’s the only thing preventing you from playing then you have no reason to go.

Posted by: Tundraboy.9256

Tundraboy.9256

On the stream when you said you played around with the idea of having RMB be your 2 weapon skill, could that maybe one day be a toggle (between Target/Dodge/Skill 2) if having full keybind options causes problems?

I only ask because the 5 skills would fit perfectly as

LMB 1 – RMB 2 – Scroll up 3 – Scroll down 4 – MMB 5

then i could bind shift to dodge instead of shift plus keys, and bind tab to target to have my dream keybinds =P

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered already. Have not looked through every post in the thread.

Q: Is there a way to get your mouse pointer back without having to exit the action mode? Like, for clicking on popup messages and the like. Or do I have to toggle the mode on and off and on again?

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered already. Have not looked through every post in the thread.

Q: Is there a way to get your mouse pointer back without having to exit the action mode? Like, for clicking on popup messages and the like. Or do I have to toggle the mode on and off and on again?

When you get a dialog box appear, such as talking to an NPC, action cam with auto toggle off to bring your pointer back, then re-enable when the dialog box closes. Same as when opening your inventory or hero panel.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

When you get a dialog box appear, such as talking to an NPC, action cam with auto toggle off to bring your pointer back, then re-enable when the dialog box closes. Same as when opening your inventory or hero panel.

Alright. I never tried it with NPCs. Just had this issue yesterday when the game spammed we with a “could not connect to login servers” every other second and I could not click it away without toggle off action camera.

What about when you get party invites? Does the mouse appear then as well for you to click on it, or? Or when you have selected another player and want to get that menu with Whisper, Invite, Report and so on.

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

Just wanna say, such a good job on this Joel, very impressive that changes made by one dev made it into such a significant release. I’m still using my ICM to hide minimap and using your camera changes for action camera, works really well so far no complaints :O

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Alright. I never tried it with NPCs. Just had this issue yesterday when the game spammed we with a “could not connect to login servers” every other second and I could not click it away without toggle off action camera.

What about when you get party invites? Does the mouse appear then as well for you to click on it, or? Or when you have selected another player and want to get that menu with Whisper, Invite, Report and so on.

As far as I can tell, the pointer only appears automatically when you initiate the dialog windows yourself, so when you talk to an NPC or open your inventory. It doesn’t appear when dialog windows pop up without you doing anything, so party invites, system mesages, etc.. This is likely designed this way to prevent these kinds of messages interupting you while fighting. Otherwise, you might get a party invite mid fight and it suddenly changes how you play.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I’d like to ask for the normal camera mode to be worked on and regain some of the sensitivity it used to have. The action mode isn’t working for me right now; it might become an option when I put some work into it, but in the meantime I’d like to be able to play like I used to – without a hurting wrist – and without spending hours upon hours to tinker with my mouse settings ;) Help me!

Posted by: Bambu.4270

Bambu.4270

Dunno if you take suggestions but could you change the cursor location behaviour when toggling off the action camera? It would be nice for the cursor to appear in middle of the screen instead of who-knows-where it was before when toggling action camera off!

That’s progress. Hooray for progress!

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Will the “Snap Ground Target” option receive a proper toggle key instead of a hold-down-to-toggle? That would be 20 times more convenient and less painful to the hand.

Is it possible to get a keybind for toggling autotargeting on and off? It will be especially useful when switching between classes that have a lot of movement skills (and attack without a target), and those that require a target for most skills; or even when doing different things on a single class.

The complexity of this depends on what the keybind will do. If it acts to simply toggle the state of the option for autotargeting (i.e. the state of the checkbox in the options menu), it would legitimately be pretty simple; however, I don’t believe we have precedent for a keybind like that, so it might be an argument waiting to happen. If it instead acts as an override for the usual option, all places in code that reference the state of the autotargeting option would need to be updated to also check for this toggle state, and we would need to be careful about when the override state is preserved vs cleared, etc. It is an on the table™ sort of thing but I can’t give any guarantees.

Pretty please add a simple toggle-on-keypress for “Snap Ground Target”, just like the one for the Action Cam (nice job with that, btw).
The current hold-down-to-toggle (= toggle-on-keydown + -keyup) is quite strenuous to use. I could circumvent this with a script, but hey, playing this game should not require or encourage that. Playing engineer is RSI-promoting enough. ^^

Ceterum censeo we need a keybind for “Stop ability activation & auto-attack” that works with anything including kits.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: Raygou.8637

Raygou.8637

Hey, I really like how the action camera feels and how it changes the gameplay, however every time I turn it on the dot/cross hair in the middle of the screens bugs me a lot, it looses the immersiveness that the action camera offers.
I don’t know if anyone suggested this yet, but I think that it would be useful to be able to toggle the dot/cross hair off.

(edited by Raygou.8637)

Posted by: MeMosh.1820

MeMosh.1820

Hello,

Some feedback: I was thinking, could you make the right mouse click trigger your second skill during action camera? similar to how left mouse click works.

Right now right click feels wasted during action camera, since it’s only used for targeting.

Posted by: Uthrax.5740

Uthrax.5740

Option for keeping the backward button ‘s’ as-is. Annoying for me when my character turns around and runs towards the screen. I use the ‘about face’ hotkey for that.

Right-mouse button for dodge or skill 2 would be awesome too.

Other than that I love the action camera.

“If there is one sound that follows the march of humanity, it is the scream.”
-David Gemmell

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Out Of Action

I gave it the old Harvard Try for the past couple of weeks, but I’ve given up the Action Camera (AC) for now.

On the bright side, I love how the Action Camera keeps my character in mouse-turn mode. My right mouse button was grateful for the break. The targeting reticule is awesome, and I really love the heads-up in-range indicator, which is much more natural than having to look down at my skill bar all the time to see if I’m in range. Given how unforgiving GW2 is about using skills against targets that aren’t in range, it was a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately, I encountered a lot of trouble with the Action Camera.

It’s way too hard to keep the crosshairs on moving targets while dodging and running to get outside of AOE circles, which is the most common combat situation in just about all HoT content, and even in 1v1s against easy single mobs in Central Tyria, it can be a pain.

Losing autoattack and having to reestablish it each time the crosshairs drift off target results in having to spam the attack buttons to keep autoattacks going, which negates the point of autoattacks in the first place and is a not a problem with normal mode.

The left mouse button doesn’t maintain autoattacks unless held down, which becomes tedious in long fights, especially when moving around and evading. It’s also not consistent, as with some weapons it does seem to maintain autoattacks as long as the crosshairs are on target, while it doesn’t with others. I went back to using my old autoattack button instead of the left mouse button after a couple of days, because it was far more reliable and consistent.

When zoomed out in third-person view, it is extremely easy to have this happen constantly, and due to parallax effects, it can be difficult to acquire and maintain a new target reliably. It’s especially problematic during boss fights, and worst of all in world boss fights when the camera zooms out even more.

I can’t count the number of times I would find myself in the middle of a typical particle-effect and AOE battle storm not attacking when I thought I was, or fired off a skill only to have it misfire and go on cooldown because the crosshairs weren’t “on target” enough, despite being aimed visually at a large target.

With siege weapons, AC is clumsy, and getting knocked into cursor mode by interaction prompts during story and dynamic events really messes things up, especially in the middle of combat. The toggle button for switching between AC and normal mode became one of my most-used buttons because of these and other collisions with the rest of the interface.

Due to the “short leash” movement scheme, in which the character behaves as if being dragged around instead of moving where directed, jumping puzzles are a nightmare, navigating tricky terrain is awkward and any movement requiring precision is harder to do.

I would strongly prefer it if the character always faced wherever the crosshairs were pointing, like a permanent mouse turn mode. Doing that would make movement more precise and solve all the problems caused by the “leash”.

It’s not clear if there’s a way to look around without changing direction while running or gliding, so I found myself missing being able to do that easily in normal mode, and usually switched into it to do that.

Despite my strongly preferring to stay in AC mode as much as possible (I hate having to hold the right mouse button down just to be able steer my character without using turning keys, which are much worse), I ultimately found myself switching back to normal mode more and more as time went on.

I really, really wanted it to work, but the Action Camera just ended up feeling like a handicap instead of an advantage.

I love the concept, would continue using it if it wasn’t so squirrelly, and in many ways, it’s almost there, but the Action Camera just doesn’t play well with the skill paradigm under its current constraints.

I hope to see another pass correct some of these problems soon. Until then, I guess my poor old right mouse button is going to continue to suffer more wear and tear as I keep it pressed down for mouse turning.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

As far as I can tell, the pointer only appears automatically when you initiate the dialog windows yourself, so when you talk to an NPC or open your inventory. It doesn’t appear when dialog windows pop up without you doing anything, so party invites, system mesages, etc.. This is likely designed this way to prevent these kinds of messages interupting you while fighting. Otherwise, you might get a party invite mid fight and it suddenly changes how you play.

I’ve been experiencing the exact opposite – every time the server-change dialog pops up it changes the mouse from action-cam to pointer and does interrupt my fighting. Is there some option you have on that keeps the mouse in action-cam mode unless explicitly toggled off?

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Why has the usual camera been changed again from “the cursor always in the middle”?
No offense but playing with this ever changing camera is really exhausting. I’m not interested in the Action camera or first person view but the usual camera is changed nearly every week and I’m tired of adjusting my mouse which always takes me a few hours or days and some changes I just can’t buffer anymore.

Posted by: crazymonster.4693

crazymonster.4693

i dont know if someone have already asked this but do any one know how to enable the action camera i cant find the option to do it

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

i dont know if someone have already asked this but do any one know how to enable the action camera i cant find the option to do it

Yeah, that can be a little confusing,

Game menu (top left of UI)
Options
Control options
Camera
Toggle Action Camera (you’ll need to set a key bind)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I found a problem with the action camera and the party system. If I’m using the action camera and hit P to open up the party panel, then I’m stuck. I can’t close the party panel, select anything on the party panel, use any skills or turn off the action camera The only way I’ve found to get out of this is to have a prompt come up to do something, such as speak to an NPC or accept a low population map transfer, or to get out of the game with alt tab, log out then log back In.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

I would like to request that the “smart autotarget” feature, where it only autotargets if you are reasonably oriented toward a potential target, be implemented into the normal camera mode.

Separately, it would also be nice if you could set autotargeting to only pick up on hostiles and never on neutrals.

Posted by: kvazarsky.9468

kvazarsky.9468

After spending quite a lot of time with action camera in pvp and pve, I’d like to see additional options:

• Right mouse button target enemies only (on/off).
    Because in most situations in every game mode you want to target enemy, not your fellow player.
  • Vertical slider for crosshair (from current position to upper part of the screen).
    Because crosshair in the center is great for playing with camera close to character, but not so much when you want to zoom out to see more and still be able to effectively use action camera. At this moment I have to sacrifice better battlefield overview for targeting and vice versa. I tried a lot of camera options in game, but they’re made to play with mouse cursor targeting, not a crosshair.

PS. Action Camera is still my #1 feature of GW2HoT (the second one is 64-bit client).

Posted by: angvl.1238

angvl.1238

I started to use this today .Any idea how to lock targets? Example i use previous enemy to lock a target at my right and if the crosshair is at another target at my left the attacks keep hiting the left target.. it doesnt update with the new target

Swim (always with chickens)

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

SUGGESTION:
I was trilled when the Action Camera was implemented but i found out short after that I didn’t feel to have enough control on what was around me especially behind, since I use sometimes to place the Marks with my nectro behind me in certain situations.
Anyway i really enjoy the Crossair pointer, the litthe circle that attacks what enters a certain range, so I thought woudn’t be awesome to switch the current pointer with the Crosshair and implement the range and modes that make the action camera so awesome on the standard camera?
I think it would, I see no issues with it since you can still click the enemies but it would be easier to catch them + the freedom to rotate the camera indipendently to where your mouse is, and the option to click on your skillbar if needed.
Anyone else interested in it?
I don’t really know how hard it could be to take a part of one mode and paste it to the other one but it would really make everything easier, at least for me.
Also the attack with the lmb would be the best ‘^’ .

Posted by: Tiilimon.6094

Tiilimon.6094

I think a lot of these frustrations could be solved by adding a “push to cursor” button that you hold down to move the cursor around while in combat cam mode.

If you have problems keeping track of whats behind you, I suggest binding About Face and Look Behind to something like G and B, so you can look behind/turn 180 degrees but are still able to press space with the fleshy part of you thumb.