Action Combat

Action Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fairymore.8609

Fairymore.8609

I would like to start a discussion to help me understand why more MMOs(including GW2) do not have the level of action combat that is found in games like Vindictus or Dragon Nest.

I enjoy the combat in GW2, it helped me realize how a small change like not needing a target selected to cast abilities could make combat in a MMO feel more fast paced and engaging. Having played several other MMORPGs in the past this is a big deal for me. For this (and many other reasons) I adore GW2 and happily hold it as my favorite game.

However the Action Combat that is found in Vindictus or Dragon Nest is significantly different than in GW2 or even Tera(which prides itself on action combat). It looks and feels (when you play it) as if you are in a completely different league. For some context please view the videos below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7WI88DnE4g
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=X3rjKG1AqhY&feature=endscreen

To me it looks like GW2 could have reached this level when I look at several features and how they work
-aoe for damage(not all) and support spells/abilities
-your damage ability/spell meant for target A, hits target B simply because target B walked in front of it.
-Dodge ability
-Fewer abilities available on spell bar/interface
but instead the game decided to take a middle way, somewhere between “point and click” and as Tera calls it “True Action Combat”. Why do you think it did so? And why isn’t this level of fast paced action combat seen more in MMORPG’s today?

Action Combat

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Can only agree, never played DN, but have played Vindictus (and still am a bit), and DN seem to have somewhat similar combat to Vindictus from those vids you posted.

YOu did however forget the imo one and most important feature that GW2 have (and the one thing that imo makes gw2 closer to action combat than Tera), the fact that you can move while casting 90%+ of abilities.

However at this state i fear it is too late to alter a thing such fundamental as the basics of combat, to achieve true action combat in gw2

An MMO with true action combat, and a open world would be pretty dang close to my perfect game

Action Combat

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Well. I think the action combat is done right since you are able to move while attacking (As stated by GummiBear above me). Mix that with dodging and real attack-tracking (Meaning that you won’t get hit by an Ai attacking when you are behind it), then you’ll get a combat system closer to a real action combat game.

P.S. I never played Vindictus and DN

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Action Combat

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Western taste have long been different from that of Easter gamers. Being pioneers in MMO’s, most games were point-and-click because of PC limitations and most gaming companies take the success of older games and make games that play a lot like them. Far from Westerners’ favorite, which can be summarized as “Cars, Guns, and Sports,” some classic Asian console games are action RPGs. So Easterners, due to the different in taste, try to incorporate these things into MMOs.

That’s my opinion on the topic so far.