Add pvp to all maps...

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: HamHat.5201

HamHat.5201

Add an option where you can “flag up” and fight other players who also decide to “flag up(not regular players)”, it would make map completion actually fun! The idea here is that only people who chose to “flag up” can fight each other, having no affect on people who are not “flagged up”.

(edited by HamHat.5201)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Add an option where you can “flag up” and fight other players who are “flagged up”, it would make map completion actually fun!

There is PvP for that……….

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Wont happen. Would be fun for level 80 only but still wont happen. I can only imagine the ganking between a perfectly equipped thief and a low level player getting really annoyed, because he wants open world pvp but only with his level range.
Something about keeping the game modes seperate idrk.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Add an option where you can “flag up” and fight other players who are “flagged up”, it would make map completion actually fun!

And WvW which has map completion (although it doesn’t really count for anything anymore).

So no thanks.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP
“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Yeah, I tried open world PvP in another game, where anyone can come along and gank you at any time, even when you’re talking to an NPC, even though there were flagged challenge areas. It didn’t take long for me to uninstall that game.

No thanks.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

(edited by Endless Soul.5178)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

HamHat.5201

Yeah, I tried open world PvP in another game, where anyone can come along and gank you at any time, even when you’re talking to an NPC, even though there were flagged challenge areas. It didn’t take long for me to uninstall that game.

No thanks.

Yes i’ve played a system like that as well, when you can kill just any one it ruins the game. The idea here is that only people who chose to “flag up” can fight each other, having no affect on people who are not “flagged up”.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

No Duelling! I don’t want to see people squabbling over who pwnd whom, and who spammed whom with certain skills in the PvE zones. It’s bad for the community. Keep PvP in the PvP zones please, just like they did in Guild Wars 1.

Also, we’ve already had another repeated Mounts Thread today. We don’t need another Duelling one to add to it!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

No thanks.

Yes i’ve played a system like that as well, when you can kill just any one it ruins the game. The idea here is that only people who chose to “flag up” can fight each other, having no affect on people who are not “flagged up”.

This I wouldn’t mind, but I don’t doubt that it won’t be implemented. I’m sure we’ll be finally having a system that is specifically implemented for duels on release of HoT.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Haleydawn.3764

But again an option where a player can flag up and fight other people who flag up, wouldn’t take a complete over haul. Oh well if the game makers are lazy, can’t do much about that except not buy the expansion.

Do you even know how programming works? Something that seems like it would be easy or “just the push of a button” really isn’t. You’re talking about a function to manually override player characters to become hostiles. In the open world which has been layered with thousands of lines of code.

Guild Halls will have a PvP sandbox and from what I’ve read it sounds really good.

Kitten.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

HamHat.5201

But again an option where a player can flag up and fight other people who flag up, wouldn’t take a complete over haul. Oh well if the game makers are lazy, can’t do much about that except not buy the expansion.

Do you even know how programming works? Something that seems like it would be easy or “just the push of a button” really isn’t. You’re talking about a function to manually override player characters to become hostiles. In the open world which has been layered with thousands of lines of code.

Guild Halls will have a PvP sandbox and from what I’ve read it sounds really good.

Yes I am a programmer, i’m sure they were thinking in the way of adding pvp servers in addition to the megaserver, that would be a nightmare. and if / else statement to turn players read would take work, but not a complete re write.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Haleydawn.3764

Yes I am a programmer, i’m sure they were thinking in the way of adding pvp servers in addition to the megaserver, that would be a nightmare. and if / else statement to turn players read would take work, but not a complete re write.

It’s not something that is going to be essential since we have WvW and sPvP.
Most people who PvE, are doing it because they like PvE, they want to PvP they have two other places to go, by choice. All I remember from games that had duelling while it was fun, you would always get the trolls that would follow people and spam that duel button like it was going out of fashion.

As much as I would like a controlled version as a map in its own right, or utilise the Arena in Black Citadel or even part of The Pavillion in DR, for people to queue as 1v1 random match up possibly with a5 min timer and a 2min re-queue timer, and the ability to just spectate to view build only. It will just not happen.

Kitten.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

There is already WvW… go have at it. that’s as close as you will get to open world pvp.

And to say it wouldnt take much resources to implement is absolutely stupid. You have no idea how much that work it would take to make ALL the PvE maps into something thats totally open world PvP..

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

HamHat.5201

There is already WvW… go have at it. that’s as close as you will get to open world pvp.

And to say it wouldnt take much resources to implement is absolutely stupid. You have no idea how much that work it would take to make ALL the PvE maps into something thats totally open world PvP..

WvW is a joke, and you obviously don’t understand the point of flagging up, it would be a skill you have that lets you fight other people, making new skills isn’t a year of work. So it is you that is not understanding.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Add an option where you can “flag up” and fight other players who also decide to “flag up(not regular players)”, it would make map completion actually fun! The idea here is that only people who chose to “flag up” can fight each other, having no affect on people who are not “flagged up”.

No thanks, I want nothing to do with being followed around a map being told “flag up chicken” or something similar till I am forced to WP out. Even blocking these players would get annoying quite quickly. Keep the PvE maps friendly (well as friendly as they can be) and take your desire to gank to WvW or into PvP where other like minded players await your talents.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

WvW is a joke, and you obviously don’t understand the point of flagging up, it would be a skill you have that lets you fight other people, making new skills isn’t a year of work. So it is you that is not understanding.

Oh, it’s a skill? Can we make it a healing skill, in slot 6? That would be fun! You can flag, but no healing while you’re doing it!

Or do you NOT mean an actual skill that will take a slot in your skill bar? It’s safe to assume you don’t, so it’s not actually a skill. So, it’s an option somewhere you turn off and on, right? Well, that means there will be some time spent making a spot for it in the UI, but I’m sure that can be done.

Now, let’s talk about who can damage who. In PvE, you have two “teams”. Players + Allies, and Enemy NPCs. Pretty easy. In PvP, you can have three teams. Red team, Blue team, and Enemy NPCs (if you’re on the right map). Each team can hurt the other, but it’s still not too complex yet. Head over to WvW, and you now have four teams. Red, Blue, Green, and Enemy NPCs. Four teams where the game has to track who can affect who and how.

Now, let’s say we have open PvP flags, and 10 people in a PvE zone turn them on. (We’ll call them 0 – 9.) You now have the normal Players + Allies team, ten PvP “teams”, and Enemy NPCs. Suddenly, it’s getting more complicated, but that’s not the worst of it. Let’s say that some normal players are fighting a boss (“Ralph”), and Player 4 is helping them. Player 7 comes along and wants some of that action, so they drop a Lava Font into the fight, and follow it up with a blast finisher.

• Ralph is hit by all the attacks, and can hit anyone.
  • The normal players are immune to the Lava Font, and get might from the blast finisher. They can buff each other, Player 4, and Player 7. They can’t hurt Players 4 & 7.
  • Player 4 is hit by Ralph and the Lava Font and blast, does NOT gain the might from the finisher, can hit Ralph and Player 7, and can buff the other Players.
  • Player 7 is in much the same state as Player 4 as to who they can affect and how.

Do you see where this is starting to go bad? Each PvP flagged person is kind of their own side in the battle, but ALSO sometimes part of another side. It’s no where near as simple as a flag or switch, or even as simple as the normal PvP codes. In fact, it can quickly become a huge mess, and if the game was never made to sort this stuff out then we’re talking about a TON of code work. Code that places an additional strain on the servers when it’s run, I might add.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Guild Wars one never had a PvP in PvE option. Guild Wars 2 never advertised themselves as going to have a PvP in PvE option. If the OP is going to refuse to buy the expansion for a 3 year old game because of this, a game that never had this and never advertised this is going to be an option then all I can say is, have fun in vanilla or another game of your choice.

A special thanks to penelopehannibal for 2 drinking hits, dueling and holding ANet to ransom.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

this is not a blizzard wow game dude this is Anet and they will never ever ever ever never ever do that here even if hell freezes over . still will not happen and a whole lot of us players is glad that is not like that .

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Guild Wars one never had a PvP in PvE option. Guild Wars 2 never advertised themselves as going to have a PvP in PvE option. If the OP is going to refuse to buy the expansion for a 3 year old game because of this, a game that never had this and never advertised this is going to be an option then all I can say is, have fun in vanilla or another game of your choice.

A special thanks to penelopehannibal for 2 drinking hits, dueling and holding ANet to ransom.

now that is way too funny thanks for making my day best post i seen in a long time

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Back in the day Everquest use to do something like that, allowed you to turn on a pvp flag while in pve zones, and only those that flagged up could attack each other.

Probably not something to waste development resources on at this point, I highly doubt you would run into that many that would turn the flag on.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Soooo…. costume brawl?

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

The complete separation of PvE and PvP was a core design pillar of the original Guild Wars. It was one of the things done intentionally to set them apart from the pack. GW2 holds to the same philosophy. This isn’t going to change. Not ever. It wasn’t some last minute idea, or something tacked on to the core of the game, it’s an actual core design pillar. If that disappoints anyone, then they are operating under some incorrect assumptions about what the game they are playing is. If not having it means you won’t buy the expansion, then you won’t be buying it.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

• Ralph is hit by all the attacks, and can hit anyone.
  • The normal players are immune to the Lava Font, and get might from the blast finisher. They can buff each other, Player 4, and Player 7. They can’t hurt Players 4 & 7.
  • Player 4 is hit by Ralph and the Lava Font and blast, does NOT gain the might from the finisher, can hit Ralph and Player 7, and can buff the other Players.
  • Player 7 is in much the same state as Player 4 as to who they can affect and how.

Actually i don’t see that complicated. The button could be in the same window as comander tag is and where th switch for mentor will be.

They already are using flags to identify the entities inside the game, that’s why you can see the fauna fighting against the mordrem in SW for example.

They only need to create a new flag that identify the other player as we are talking of 1vs1 as enemy and all the boons and damage only will affect those 2 entities. For the rest they would be seen the same as friendlies, same as when you drop a rain of fire in the NPCs in the cities.

Once this being said, i agree with the rest, including PvP in PvE is a very bad idea more for having strong chances of becoming another source of bad environment within the game.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

HamHat.5201

I guess I just don’t get it. I never saw the fun in grinding or tricking the ai to win(which seems to be all that gw is in pve), but it sounds like this is how people want guild wars. Maybe i’ll get lucky and they will make wvw fun again.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The idea would not affect you or your game play in any way shape or form.

This comment is short-sighted. No AAA game has ever just haphazardly added an open PvP flag without shaping many aspects of the game around PvP. Thus, we see factions, a lore-based rationale for the conflict, etc.

ANet considers GW2 to be a AAA game. They charged a AAA price for it, and they’re charging a AAA price for the expansion. I cannot believe that were ANet to adopt open world PvP, they would do it as you describe.

If they did it the way other games do, there would be impacts to current players game play experience. This would start with the huge amount of development time needed to completely revamp the lore, and to change most of the PvE content to allow for seamless implementation. That would be time that could have been used for things that would enhance the game for many current players. While it may seem like your want is every bit as good as others’ wants, the fact that this game was advertised to not contain open PvP in PvE zones lends weight to their expectations, and subtracts from yours.

I believe your expressed desire to be extremely unrealistic.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I guess I just don’t get it. I never saw the fun in grinding or tricking the ai to win(which seems to be all that gw is in pve), but it sounds like this is how people want guild wars. Maybe i’ll get lucky and they will make wvw fun again.

Notice the part I put in bold there? It is PVE we want and are doing. What you are wanting and asking for is PVP inside of PVE.

There is plenty more to do than run dungeons and grind. Have you done all the jps, world complete and mini dungeons? There is living story and the list goes on. I don’t grind and I don’t run dungeons and yet there’s things for me to work on. There are achievements. It seems you are just a pvper who just does not want to do the pvp that we have here so I don’t know what to say to you…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

HamHat.5201

Notice the part I put in bold there? It is PVE we want and are doing. What you are wanting and asking for is PVP inside of PVE.

There is plenty more to do than run dungeons and grind. Have you done all the jps, world complete and mini dungeons? There is living story and the list goes on. I don’t grind and I don’t run dungeons and yet there’s things for me to work on. There are achievements. It seems you are just a pvper who just does not want to do the pvp that we have here so I don’t know what to say to you…..

Actually I have done it all, thats the problem. No new dungeons since release. Did a good majority of the achievements, all tho you won’t catch me grinding for 5k warhorn kills. Completed every jp more than once, lvl 50 fractal. done. All that’s left to do is pvp and I get bored doing map completion with my new friends I bring over to guild. I just want something to keep the person that has done everything entertained, because the no new content is killing me(not counting the new content that is nothing but grinding).

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

PvP is very different, you don’t get rewarded for the hard work you put into the game. Not to mention if only people who are “flagged up” can fight each other it has absolutely no effect on people who are not interested in pvp…

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP
“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Huge overall depending on how you make it. But again an option where a player can flag up and fight other people who flag up, wouldn’t take a complete over haul. Oh well if the game makers are lazy, can’t do much about that except not buy the expansion.

The guy in that quote works for ANet, so it not going to happen get use to it, and PvP not rewarding? You must be playing a different PvP to me.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Have you played the beta? If you didn’t watch a few videos of it. How in the world can anyone fit open PVP in that place full of mobs and events?

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I would love to see this.
My reasons:

WvW- Too much siege, too many zergs, any enemies less than 5 won’t engage unless you’re alone.

Pvp- The builds are restricting, the movement options are restricted during combat, you essentially have to play for nodes and the maps and playerbase is too small.

Having this flag Idea in PvE: I could run around and maybe do map completion with a slight challenge, duel my friends with real builds that happen to be on the same server, organize brawls in map chat (no loot needed) or just have general brawls with guildies on areas we choose like at the top of towers on little platforms or what ever, maybe even the arena in LA could be put to some good use.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

My reasons:

WvW- Too much siege, too many zergs, any enemies less than 5 won’t engage unless you’re alone.

Pvp- The builds are restricting, the movement options are restricted during combat, you essentially have to play for nodes and the maps and playerbase is too small.

Having this flag Idea in PvE: I could run around and maybe do map completion with a slight challenge, duel my friends with real builds that happen to be on the same server, organize brawls in map chat (no loot needed) or just have general brawls with guildies on areas we choose like at the top of towers on little platforms or what ever, maybe even the arena in LA could be put to some good use.

You say its fun, untill.you get stalked my a group of people ganking you every time you you try to grab that Vista or make that jump on a JP or get that skill point. Not to mention the people flooding.map chat will challenges and calling people noobs and what not for running away or losing a fight, the trolling would be insane. As the dev said in the quoted article, there is WvW and PvP. It would take too much work to implement. And I’m glad. It was bad enough in wow when I had a guy follow.me around a map.challenging me to a fight. I told him I was not interested, but he still persisted. In the end I just logged off.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

My reasons:

You say its fun, untill.you get stalked my a group of people ganking you every time you you try to grab that Vista or make that jump on a JP or get that skill point. Not to mention the people flooding.map chat will challenges and calling people noobs and what not for running away or losing a fight, the trolling would be insane. As the dev said in the quoted article, there is WvW and PvP. It would take too much work to implement. And I’m glad. It was bad enough in wow when I had a guy follow.me around a map.challenging me to a fight. I told him I was not interested, but he still persisted. In the end I just logged off.

Then I deflag for a break or block the trolls? I dunno though it may be rocket science after all.

….. And Elementalist.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Paulytnz.7619

Actually I have done it all, thats the problem. No new dungeons since release. Did a good majority of the achievements, all tho you won’t catch me grinding for 5k warhorn kills. Completed every jp more than once, lvl 50 fractal. done. All that’s left to do is pvp and I get bored doing map completion with my new friends I bring over to guild. I just want something to keep the person that has done everything entertained, because the no new content is killing me(not counting the new content that is nothing but grinding).

Sounds like burnout to me mate. I understand where you are coming from I too came from other games that had true grind and had “enough content to feed us junkies”. The thing tho is this game is not one of those. You can get burnt out or run out of things here to do. But that is not a bad thing as it can let you take a much needed break now and then. Pick something else up to try out and come back later.

For myself I am juggling a few other games as well as slowly working on more GW1 titles while also running a new alt through world complete. I’m also now working on Mawdry since I wasn’t playing much when that came out so I’m also running all my alts through the LS for a refresher and hopefully a somewhat easier way to making Mawdry.

What you call grind I would call long term goals or things to work on over a period of time. Such as Mawdry, legendary or ascended gear. You don’t have to do that if you have nothing else to do. Just muck around or find another game for now lol.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

My reasons:

Then I deflag for a break or block the trolls? I dunno though it may be rocket science after all.

So you want to wonder around with it on when you can do what you want with it, and change PvE maps into PvP maps because you think it’s cool. But when it gets all to much for you, you are just going to turn it off? Yeah sounds like WvW to me. And what about when someone comes along who’s not flagged, and you end up targeting them instead of the guy your fighting, or a mob comes along, or event. It’s going to mess up your PvP. You have not thought this through at all.

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

If you can let people be unaffected by it, so they are not pvping against their will why not?
Or even dedicate a special part of the map that is hardly used in PvE. No world events and no world bosses maps as example.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

It would be nice to see a WoW-style dueling system where you could challenge people out in the open world and have an arranged fight that ends when one player hits 0 HP. Abilities didn’t affect anyone outside of the duel, and the loser was resurrected after hitting 0 HP. GW2’s could function similarly, except with the ending and revival coming at 0 HP in downed state, of course.

There are too many engine issues to make this feasible anytime soon, though. I have a hunch that they hardcoded PvP to only function in instance shards specially designed for it (sPvP, WvW). This would likely require a sizable overhaul of the engine

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well, except in the case of GW2, where it is as simple as setting some variables. WvW and PvE is the same thing. The enviroment is controlled by server rules which can be changed by events, even for specific zones. Setting every player to hostile is easily done. GW2 already supports it.

The Shatterer event in Plains of Ashford which enabled open world PvP between corrupted and normal players followed by Destinys Edge instakilling everyone, remember?

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

“Brawls in areas you choose” is exactly why I DON’T want open-world PvP. I like exploring the map and having fun, and I really like when I find another player doing the same thing as me and teaming up in a very temporary group. This is in many ways the best part of the entire game. The last thing I want is to see this ruined by idiots who got bored of the game, and are running around all over the place looking for people to fight. “Five minutes to the fire elemental spawn? PvP! Right in front of it! Woohoo!” “Hard to reach vista? Let’s have a fight! Woohoo!” and so on. It would ruin the immersion of the game, and it could easily mean people would avoid each other rather than team up, just because we are sick of duel-requests.

Furthermore, there’s the duel requests. As a veteran from LotRO, this is something I know all too well. I’m standing there in a swamp in the middle of nowhere, a player shows up, wait for me to finish fighting the mini-boss I’m fighting, and… “let’s duel!” Grrrrr…. no. And no, I won’t join your guild either, so don’t even bother ask. (I’m in a one-person guild for a reason.)

What about public areas, like Rata Sum? There are always tons of people there, so there’s bound to be people to fight there. Sure you’ll ruin the fun for everyone else who are just trying to have a peaceful time, but nevermind that. You get PvP. Who cares what EVERYONE ELSE wants? This is your game, so it’s all about you, right?

I could go on, but no, we do most definitely NOT need open-world PvP in any form or shape. Even a “simple duel-request” is a horrible idea, as it means people spamming said request all the time to whoever they find. Even with a “auto-reject duel requests” like in LotRO, it doesn’t mean people won’t try their best to change your mind. I really like thi game because it’s so peaceful and friendly. Open-world PvP is the exact opposite of that. I don’t even know how many times I’ve dropped an otherwise great game because the only option was PvP. Don’t make this yet another game on that list.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

Well, except in the case of GW2, where it is as simple as setting some variables. WvW and PvE is the same thing. The enviroment is controlled by server rules which can be changed by events, even for specific zones. Setting every player to hostile is easily done. GW2 already supports it.

The Shatterer event in Plains of Ashford which enabled open world PvP between corrupted and normal players followed by Destinys Edge instakilling everyone, remember?

That was a one time event that happened during a beta weekend. Yes I’m sure its a simple thing to do.

But really. PvP in PvE go’s against what ANet want you to do in that game mode, which js help each other. WvW and PvP are there for people who want to kill each other.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

My reasons:

So you want to wonder around with it on when you can do what you want with it, and change PvE maps into PvP maps because you think it’s cool. But when it gets all to much for you, you are just going to turn it off? Yeah sounds like WvW to me. And what about when someone comes along who’s not flagged, and you end up targeting them instead of the guy your fighting, or a mob comes along, or event. It’s going to mess up your PvP. You have not thought this through at all.

Well, yea? If a group of people want to stalk me and troll me, then yes I will deflag so they can’t kill me?

If anyone hasn’t thought this through it’s you mate lol. I gave you the most simple solution to your first spurt of vomit, but I’ll give you some more free of charge!

If the person isn’t flagged for PvP, I dunno, maybe they should appear as ally like they already do?

I don’t know what you’re trying to argue, but so far all of your possible “what ifs” already have very simple solutions that can be applied by the player, Anet doesn’t need to spoon feed you.

….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

I’m reading peoples arguments, everyone seems to have forgotten the part where OP said you have the OPTION to tag up.

….. And Elementalist.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

As for mobs and stuff, I’m confident most people and guild groups are smart enough know to start their fun away from them assuming they are dueling, otherwise it’s no different to WvW…

Thing is, they probably aren’t smart enough. So who is going to enforce two weirdos can’t start a fight during an event? What will happen if some fools start fighting inside a village that is under attack by pirates? Will one of them, both of them or none of them be attacked by mobs, buffed/healed by other players etc? In a static game that has players hunt for 10 rats, collect 5 plants and do simple escort/defend quests it will work because the rest of the world is boring.

But in GW2 that’s not the case, especially in the newer maps like Dry Top and Silverwastes (and Verdant Brink). They are full of events and things to do, how is starting a random fight at the Red Keep going to interact with the Mordrem invaders trying to take it back?

You are saying players are smart but I say they aren’t. They will try to pick fights at the worst possible places, that’s a given, so how do we prevent them from trolling other players and ruining their experience?

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Paulytnz.7619

I’m reading peoples arguments, everyone seems to have forgotten the part where OP said you have the OPTION to tag up.

No we have not forgotten at all. It has been addressed, you seem to be forgetting that some people don’t even want to see other people fighting all over the place.

All of these maps have events all over them and any future living story can also happen anywhere Anet decides they should happen. Any duels or pvp pretty much anywhere would get in the way of them, break immersion or just cause toxicity in some way or another. It’s not going to happen for the reasons I as well as others have already stated. This is a CARE BEAR FRIENDLY game, albeit it does have the pvp modes where they are away from the general public. They are there go and play them.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There are other problems as well;

- the mess of players training mobs against each other in fights. Will that affect non-pvp players, yes it would cause havoc in the maps as mobs train left, right and centre and ultimately pve players will get in the crossfire.

- People playing pve don’t want to see it, regardless of whether they aren’t actively involved

- the game has 2 big pvp areas. It doesn’t need it in the pve maps. This does nothing to enhance the pve experience and that takes priority in those areas.

- it risks pulling people away from the main pvp areas and reducing populations in those modes. Anet wants more people to play spvp and wvw, not less

- in game harrassment as players stalk others to settle arguments. And the chaos map chat will descend into.

The reasons not to outweigh the reasons to implement it, which is why it almost certainly never will happen.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, it wouldn’t require a complete rewrite, just an extensive one. It definitely wouldn’t be easy – the “nightmare” you mentioned is a good description of what would be needed.
Hint: no, it’s not just an if/else statement. The very fact you think it would be shows that you didn’t even think about it for a moment.

Let’s take this example. Just try to think for a moment why “flagging” on and off at will might no be that good idea. And then meditate a bit more about consequences of permanent pvp flags in a GW2 Open World environment.

They only need to create a new flag that identify the other player as we are talking of 1vs1 as enemy and all the boons and damage only will affect those 2 entities.

We’re talking here about open world pvp, not a duelling option.

So, basically, you will be keeping the tag off until you are ready to surprise-gank someone else, then detag again for safety? Somehow i don’t think the system like that is going to work well.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

No we have not forgotten at all. It has been addressed, you seem to be forgetting that some people don’t even want to see other people fighting all over the place.

All of these maps have events all over them and any future living story can also happen anywhere Anet decides they should happen. Any duels or pvp pretty much anywhere would get in the way of them, break immersion or just cause toxicity in some way or another. It’s not going to happen for the reasons I as well as others have already stated. This is a CARE BEAR FRIENDLY game, albeit it does have the pvp modes where they are away from the general public. They are there go and play them.

Yer I don’t disagree with that stuff, I just find it hilarious that I clearly gave my own personal opinion on why I would enjoy it, and yet as usual someone is there to tell me why I wouldn’t enjoy it based off their own gaming enjoyments.

A thread derailment later, and we wind up here

….. And Elementalist.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You talk about how the server can change the rules and it’s all “simple” variables, but have you even thought about what those variable changes would be? The two examples you just gave are completely different from a PvP flag system.

In WvW and the Shatterer event, it’s a matter of your faction being set to opposing sides. It’s a binary thing: either you’re a friend or you’re a foe, that’s something that can be handled by one entry on the character data.

Now think about what a PvP flag entails: you’re hostile to everyone who has the PvP flag on, but you’re not hostile to anyone who has the PvP flag off. You would have to be in a new faction that’s friendly toward the regular player faction (and share all the same associations as the player faction in order for NPCs to react appropriately to you), but that faction can’t be the same faction as other PvP-flagged players otherwise they’d be automatically marked friendly. The only way to work around this would be to either assign every single player a unique faction (which would cause ridiculous overhead) or to create a new faction that’s hostile to itself (which might not be possible depending on how they set up the system or cause weird problems like your own AoEs killing you).

If something really was simple and the ANet didn’t want to do it, then they’d straight up say it’s not in their vision of the game to implement something like that. They’re not going to come up with false excuses just to get out of homework like some prepubescent teen.

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

Yer I don’t disagree with that stuff, I just find it hilarious that I clearly gave my own personal opinion on why I would enjoy it, and yet as usual someone is there to tell me why I wouldn’t enjoy it based off their own gaming enjoyments.

There are lots of arguments against adding open PVP that you seem to miss (or ignore)

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Paulytnz.7619

Oh I have no doubt you and many others would enjoy such a game mode. It’s just that I think the majority would not. Majority usually wins out in most cases. Add to that the view/philosophy or whatever it is you would like to call it that anet has shown towards how they want their game to be viewed as and played; it all just adds up to “not likely to happen”.

Personally myself I wouldn’t mind if they did an overhaul to wvw or added in some totally new version of it with different factions that we could sign up for and help out. It could offer more play styles and rewards as well as add a whole lot of new fun. By signing up to a faction it would not have you be bound by your server and you could even change your faction. But this would again ideally all be away from PvE and in their own maps. I would like the maps to be similar to PvE tho with small cities and settlements rather than towers and keeps. Heck just imagine signing up for and helping out the Inquest, Bandits, Krait, Centaurs etc etc. It could add a whole new dynamic to the game. But that’s just my secret little wish, I know it wont happen but still we can dream can’t we? :P

Add pvp to all maps...

in PvP

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

It would be kind of cool if Sylvari had the option to tag up- being potential minions it makes kind of sense :P

Gunnar’s Hold