Adding a gear check to the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Instead of communicating people want a tool… Why?

scenario 1:
They have 3 warriors, they want to check for double phalanx warriors a.k.a. pug carriers, 1 person just posts phalanx, this been taken care of, also banners, just ping them
scenario 2:
They have 3 warriors, they want to check for double phalanx warriors a.k.a. pug carriers, 1 person grabs the tool and presses kick from party, 2nd accepts… then banners, well this could be pinged but let’s do the same, repost for 2 more warriors
Then the LFG continues:
If a guard runs 2(4)/5/?/?/? it is in. if it starts with 0/0 it is not?
If an ele has 6 power it’s good else…kick!
If a thief… What no daggers: Kick!
If a ranger…. Wait? Ranger: kick!
If a mesmer… Mesmer? Kick!
If a engi… engi? Kick!
All people need poweer as first stat, precision as second, and ferocity as third, Else Kick
All people will need strength, else kick
All people will need correct sigils and crap, else kick

After a While:

Someone kicked as a warrior rejoins the party: Hey guys, I just finished my full run, enjoy kicking people now, CU! Oh and you are all on my ban list now.

I think you didn’t read or understand the OP. There will be absolutely no kicking, kicking is what happens NOW when those posting LFG requirements get people that are not saying the truth about their builds/gear. And everyone involved becomes upset with it.

If someone asks for something specific, only those that agree to be inspected, and obviously since they agree they already have that specific requirement otherwise they are trolling, will be able to even SEE the LFG post.

So the scenario goes like this:
LFG Zerker Only -inspect check

Only those that allow inspections (so they are zerkers or whatever) will be able to see this. No pinging, no kicking, no trouble, no… toxic community. You fill the requirements? You can see it and join it. You don’t fill them? You can’t see it and can’t join it. Less drama for everyone.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

If anyone want to be Elitist, deal with noobs, wrong builds, wrong stats. Do you know why? Because elitists should be elite players. So an elitist can do all, and teach others so they’ll be able to comprehend and do the same next time.

Elite players – sure they can do all that.

But dealing with noobs, wrong builds and wrong stats is a choice that has nothing to do with how good you are and how well you can play the game and carry.

It’s not that they can’t carry and teach. It’s that they don’t want to. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Playing well doesn’t automatically make me a teacher, or a person who enjoys spending times explaining things to others.
Playing well and efficiently doesn’t make me the type of players who enjoys helping others.
Playing well is just playing well. Stop trying to force this kind of pressure on good players. Being good doesn’t mean you are obligated to help or teach others.

I could be (theoretically) so good that it would take me 1 button press to complete a dungeon and still wouldn’t carry bad/new players. Not because I couldn’t – but because I don’t want to. There’s nothing wrong with that.

This is a game where ( ironically) those who keep saying “play how you want” don’t understand that under that specific premise I can choose to play exactly how I want. And that means for myself.

You are assuming that people who use the zerker meta do know how to play the game properly while all others are noobs who don’t understand the mechanics of the game.

You remind me of those who complain and threaten Anet that if they leave, the game won’t have any vets left. Without vets = dead game… or so they said.

He mentioned the “true elite” players. Those players know what they are doing.

What I’m trying to point out is they’re not under any obligation to help anyone but themselves.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Couldn’t you just use Snapchat?

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

I just want to take the time here to address some of the “rebels” who join groups without meeting their requirements.

If you’re caught doing that in any group I’m in, I will maintain the right to kick you on the spot, or use you until the last boss just like you tried to use me and my group. When that kick happens will probably just depend on my mood and a coin flip.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Come On. Even though I can respect your wish, I hope you could be trusting enough to juust go for a LFG post.

I respect speed runs, and participate and I generally am trying to do my best, but even then looking with a tool:
I do not mind a person switching (which would be impossible, due to requirements),
I do not mind people teaching (could be impossible duie to requirements),
I do not mind ele’s having support builds wich could be problemeatic,

Do people want thier ele: staff DPS, Sc/D DPS, Staff support or D/D dps?
Would you accept a guard 2/5/0/6/1, instead of a 4/5/0/1/4?
Would you accept zealot instead of zerk or assassin? would you allow a sinister warrior in a full guard party?

How long do you think your tool setup would be? And how many people would be filtered 50%, 90%, 99%, 99.99% or even more when you filter based on AP, Gear & runes , traits a waepons and sigils? I only equip my dungeon weapons in dungeon, not while waiting for a LFG…. Even if you make such a filterwhat would be the load?

You’d always be hampered by a dilemma: the accuracy of your search vs time…

Would it be a gain vs running with people interested in fast runs and having better then average setups and gear? (Trolls excluded of course) Imagine this if it takes you 10 minutes to fill your party for p1 Cof, you could have done it with any pug group. And yes it might be a bit more problematic due to 1 or 2 people running knights or pvt, but you would make it anyways also in those 10 minutes

Where would your selection start? DPS gear? Zerk gear? and builds? and weapons and sigils and autoselecting? How many hits do you expect in the end? in the timeframe you want to play?

I can see the benefit in Arah maybe, but not for AC full, SE1,3, COf 1,2,TA FW/UP, CM, COE…. Nor for HoTW 1…

And I refrain from going into trolls, If I notice people trolling, slacking or leeching, I kick them as well. If they upset me a lot I’ll put ’m on my ignore list as well.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

+1
This idea should give both sides a better feeling.

Elitists would not be able to get trolled and non elitist people wouldn’t get kicked from this kind of groups anymore because of bad gear (you can SEE if someone doesn’t use zerker gear or stuff with a little of experience) because they can’t join (and see) them.

If you have bad gear and you join a group that wants only people with good gear, then you give them a worse experience on purpose – if you have bad gear the run will not be that fast as a matter of fact.

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

Harper.4173

If anyone want to be Elitist, deal with noobs, wrong builds, wrong stats. Do you know why? Because elitists should be elite players. So an elitist can do all, and teach others so they’ll be able to comprehend and do the same next time.

Elite players – sure they can do all that.

But dealing with noobs, wrong builds and wrong stats is a choice that has nothing to do with how good you are and how well you can play the game and carry.

It’s not that they can’t carry and teach. It’s that they don’t want to. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Playing well doesn’t automatically make me a teacher, or a person who enjoys spending times explaining things to others.
Playing well and efficiently doesn’t make me the type of players who enjoys helping others.
Playing well is just playing well. Stop trying to force this kind of pressure on good players. Being good doesn’t mean you are obligated to help or teach others.

I could be (theoretically) so good that it would take me 1 button press to complete a dungeon and still wouldn’t carry bad/new players. Not because I couldn’t – but because I don’t want to. There’s nothing wrong with that.

This is a game where ( ironically) those who keep saying “play how you want” don’t understand that under that specific premise I can choose to play exactly how I want. And that means for myself.

If 1 thing is applauded in Gw2: It’s the fact it’s a cooperative game.
In a Massive MULTIPLAYER Online Game setting.

Saying I just care about myself is a choice. I’m trying hard to respect it, but I feel I help people because I need other players to do content with. The fact people say I only want to do content with this group of eletists scares a lot off people off, and hurts the game, or at least the biggest group of players.

I am allowed to choose what other people I do content with.
I’m not going to do it with people that I don’t want to play with.

If you feel that elite players should be forced or have an obligation to play with all players that’s flawed. Everyone can decide for himself/herself who they want to play with.

And now an example of how this tool would help.

I ran AC paths 1 and 2 about 5 minutes ago. The LFG read :

AC 1+2 – fast run – lvl 80 – 5k ap – zerk gear.

3 people joined. One guy who met the requirements and two people who didn’t. Guess who got kicked. Guess who got upset. Guess who’s fault it is for not reading and not understanding requirements.

Such a tool would prevent this entire situation. Can’t qualify for requirements? Can’t see the LFG post. Simple and clean.

No fuss, no hard feelings.

Harper.4173

So I am not an uberplayer, with some coordination and critical thinking issues, and I like to have a mix of valkyrie and knights with all zerk weapons and trinkets so that I have a little more survivability in my build.

This would automatically exclude me because I choose to run a build that helps deal with my personal, unfixable, flaws.

So basically the OP and others like him would exclude me from the game.

Cheers.

It would exclude you from parties that have certain requirements. But it would do it in a less personal way. It would not exclude you from the game.

It might be better than being kicked mid run by the same people.

They’re going to exclude you anyway – but at least one way of doing it doesn’t waste your time.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Nope .. this game was never thought for elitism like thar .. and in my opinion this is
also the reason why ANet has totally stopped any development of dungeons. Beside
that dungeons were never really the focus of that game.

Its always funny on Reddit if people post how nice the community in GW2 is, and the
only persons that cant understand that are dungeon runners.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Its always funny on Reddit if people post how nice the community in GW2 is, and the

It isn’t just the dungeon runners. I think we can all remember all the threads about the “Fail” Event farming in Cursed Shores or Frostsound, then chest farming int the SW. All MMO’s have issues with their communities. Guild Wars 2 is in no way different. That however isn’t the topic of this thread.

I think we can all agree that Meta and Non Meta. “Casual” and “Elitist” Cowboy and Redskin fans don’t get along.

If these two groups can’t/don’t/won’t/aren’t able to work together why can’t we have tools to fix it? LFGs would be less toxic, less kicking and less issues.

If you know you don’t have the right gear/set up you don’t join? You make your own group or look for one with no restrictions.

Is it any more cut and try then that?

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Pax you are overthinking it.
Make a checkbox. Name it “lie detector” or whatever.
If you check it in, everybody in the LFG tool who want to check the incoming players for whatever reason can check you and you can see such groups.
If you dont check in that box, you dont see that kind of groups nor cant join in them.
Simple.

If you take the first option it doesnt really differ from the current situation but at least let the group check what the player has instead of rely on pinging their gear.
If you choose the second one just play how you want with other likeminded players.

Tough if the tool has more filters that can be an issue and im not sure we need that but a basic option would be nice. If you took on the man pants you dont have to worry.

Its not about the speed (where people get this anyway?), its about the experience and the mental state that you are in a group you want to play with even if it has issues (not perfect rotations, not perfect might stacking, etc.). The faster clear times just bonus additions.

You make your own group or look for one with no restrictions.

Many of the users here on the forums and reddit and whatnot told these kind of players exactly this and guess why you made this suggestion in the first place …

@Beldin
You would be surprised how dirty mouthed is this “nice community” when you point it out that they cant read.

Beldin.5498

It isn’t just the dungeon runners. I think we can all remember all the threads about the “Fail” Event farming in Cursed Shores or Frostsound, then chest farming int the SW. All MMO’s have issues with their communities. Guild Wars 2 is in no way different. That however isn’t the topic of this thread.

But they stopped things like those special events in CS that lead to “toxic” behaviour.
However they cant just shut down all dungeons .. but they can say : no sorry, but we
don’t invest more time into that cause we never expected it to turn out that way.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Wow. Only extremely kittened people can think that this will harm anyone but griefers, who join groups not fitting their criteria. This would be a win/win for both speedrunners and phiw’s.

Meanwhile, I’ll have to sort out griefers based on their dps, hp and damage reduction.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by Dub.1273)

Beldin.5498

Wow. Only extremely kittened people can understand how this will harm anyone but griefers, who join groups not fitting their criteria. Aside of that, this would be a win/win for both speedrunners and phiw’s.

Yeah .. and of course a DPS meter would also help to find out all those “slackers”.
Because .. even if your full ascended you can still be a “slacker” ..

Or should the gear-check maybe better directly include a history of your DPS from
the last 100 dungeons you did ? ^^

Posted by: Sir K E V.1027

Sir K E V.1027

After reading some of these comments and what not, I have some questions:

1. Why are “elite” players the bad guys when it comes to keeping or kicking players in a LFG post?

2. If you don’t meet the requirements in the LFG post, why do you even join?

If you have a LFG post that says something like “Casual run, no stacking! Newbies welcome! Need condition necromancer!” There’s no way in hell I’m joining your party? Do you know why? Because I read your post, respected what you’re looking for, and moved on because that’s not my cup of tea.

Does that make me a bad person? I don’t believe so.

I believe you guys should do the same when it comes to LFG posts asking for “Berserker only, etc, etc”

Have a nice day!

Talyn.3295

But they stopped things like those special events in CS that lead to “toxic” behaviour.
However they cant just shut down all dungeons .. but they can say : no sorry, but we
don’t invest more time into that cause we never expected it to turn out that way.

Members of the community ask for those changes as well. Just as we do here. Because you do not consider dungeons to be worth the time does not mean there are those of us who do.

Now once again please stay on the thread topic.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Maybe if players actually read the LFG messages and didn’t join the parties that didn’t want them to join, maybe then we wouldn’t have this kind of a discussion.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

“Oh, you don’t have one Ascended Earring with enhanced precision infusion and the other with Vitality? Sorry, you can’t be in our group”

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I can’t see this going over well, even with the precautions OP lists.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

No, because it is a tool for elitism and I personally do not advocate it.

Because we don’t already have that, right?

“Zerkers only”
“OMG you’re a cleric-spec? NOOB”
“Min/max or get out, scrub”

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

I don’t like the idea at all. It’s just a tool for PuG elitism.
There are already some dummys that request 5k AP in the LFG, wrongly believing that thats a way to know if you are good enough for their l33t party which will pretty much disband as soon there is a wipe because it’s a waste of time. (IMO, it’s sad the fact that some players can’t have fun without cheesing the instance)

If you really need that kind of tools because you can’t trust PuGs, then you should run dungeons only with guildies, with friends or solo.

Above that, there are better things to code and develop that making something only aimed to a very specific and small type of players.

(edited by Jade Arkadian.9280)

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well I will say only this. most people don’t rotate well, I have my rotations for 4 classes, But just mindlessly dps chaining is no sign of experience. Dps chaining is nice but where do you leave your blocks/ walls/reflects /blinds/aegis/stability? might can be stacked before of course…. Experience should show when not to rotate, or when to break stack…

I prefer a plain LFG, and no griefing about when you are exotic, not ascended in AC, CM.TA,SE and Cof…as you’re dowscaled anyways. In COE, HotW,Arah it could actually matter.

I’m wondering why the discussion comes and goes again, somtimes asking for gear, sometimes appended by traits. I noticed I run builds close to the meta. but rarely the meta losing some efficiency, mosty to use some for of support. And I just fear this will be misused.

And yes (sometimes) I could see the benefit; it could be used to perfect runs,but the minority of experienced speedclear runners benefiitting vs the amount of idiots who will use this for wrong reaons makes me still opposed to the suggestion….
Problem is people with no patience, or flexibility: I sometimes join a group on character X asking what: proffession do you need? and get kicked cause char X isn’t fitting the LFG…. Also allowing for builds that border meta builds can actually prove beneficial in th end… And no I do not ask for cleric guards, but zealot has it’s niches, or a zealot ele… I doubt many people will read it and think well that could be usefull… And saying well I loose some dps due to my armor, but I will keep you alive when somthing goes awry helps…..

remember what I said before about dungeon weapons, dungeon food and try to apply the use or non use to a person wanting to do a run with his zerk meta setup with or without correct use of skills, buffing and traits when does it cause griefing, and when does the creator get kicked himself due to not fullfilling his own LFG?

When you want everything perfect: seek a speedclear guild and enjoy TS (or comparable) as a benefit.

Lastly being part of the meta should make thing easy as you can ping stuff anyways, and saying you run x-setup should make checks easier… I run scholar only on my ele, and it has dedicated dungeon weapos and food, as does my pug carrier, but my pug carrier only has a dedicated GS, as I do not use the A/M except for the 1st 2 hits. might is my focus and support, not the optimum chain ( do have a rue of strength on the axe, and night on mace) but it will not offset the dmg lost, due to 5 ppl losing 5 stacks of might.

everything is about choices, and when making a pug-group, you will encounter the elitists, the hardcore, the normal, the casual, the newb and the noobs, and unfortunately some trolls…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

just because you can tick a box so others cant see your gear,the people that want to check your gear will automatically assume you are hiding crappy gear behind it…and treat you differently.

The only place i can think off where gear inspecting would be mostly used would be in dungeons where people expect others to go full zerkers ( Its not about the meta, its just how dungeons work. People want to do them asap to claim the rewards and not spend 1h at ac path 2…)

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

As mentioned, a simliar tool will make a few people happy while creating a huge wave of rage into the community that is not needed.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

but hey if these guys wants to generalize, they can look up to hitler as a fine example of how to do it.

You heard it here first folks: If you make an argument against elitism and a gear check system you are Adolf Hitler.

I am frankly amazed that this is the depth that the pro-gear check crowd would sink to.

Do you honestly count one person as a crowd?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Letting others see your equipped gear (for whatever reason) should be optional, not mandatory.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I’m sorry, didn’t bother reading all the posts.

I think what you’re suggesting is a tool for elitism :/

Why?
If players don’t allow their gear to be checked → kick
If players allow, but don’t have the right gear → kick

I’m afraid this will even turn leveling characters onto elitism, if a lvl 40 player runs full greens when they only want Rare gear…

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I honestly don’t care whether this would be a feature or not. I would continue joining runs with no requirements or making my own. Yesterday I ran speedruns of CoE and CoF with no specific gear requirement. And we did well. Not a single of my characters is wearing zerker. Some are wearing power/vitality, some are a mixture between condition and power.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You’d always be hampered by a dilemma: the accuracy of your search vs time…

Would it be a gain vs running with people interested in fast runs and having better then average setups and gear? (Trolls excluded of course) Imagine this if it takes you 10 minutes to fill your party for p1 Cof, you could have done it with any pug group. And yes it might be a bit more problematic due to 1 or 2 people running knights or pvt, but you would make it anyways also in those 10 minutes.

But isnt it their call to make on how they want to spend their time? For some people the extra time looking for the right group composition is worth it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The difference for me, and it’s a subtle one, is adding tools to the game which support players keeping these rules and restrictions.

Each player who starts playing these games for the first time is like an unknown entity. They could end up being min/maxers or they could end up being more casual. Frankly, I’ve always believed this game in particularly has been designed for more casuals.

The more tools in game there are to help people be min/maxers, the more min/maxers are produced. It’s not just about having the tool. It’s about what that says about what’s expected of you in the game.

Right now, there are a lot of people who listen to the meta and think it’s the only way to play. But that thought process isn’t encouraged by the game.

In my opinion, when you start adding that stuff to the game, you end up with a bigger percentage of the playerbase becoming min/maxers.

Since I don’t enjoy playing with min/maxers, and I’d generally prefer a game where they exist in smaller numbers, I’m against anything that seems to sanction that.

Anyone can do anything they want. They can play a hardcore mode and delete characters as soon as they die.

But once a game introduced a hard core mode, it becomes a different game.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

There is literally nothing negative or elitist that would happen with an inspect feature that is not already happening in the game right now.

If someone puts an LFG up advertising for a speedclear full zerker team, and asks players to ping their gear after they join…. he will kick them from the party if they:

A) Don’t ping their gear
B) Ping gear other than berzerker.

Why not just let us inspect to begin with, and remove the need to have players ping all of their garbage?

You are allowed to form a team whichever way you please …. and who are you to tell me what I want is wrong?

I could make a team for a dungeon and say Charrs only! and kick anyone who isn’t a charr. Why? …because its my team and I make the rules.

Having an inspect feature would just make it easier for the players who want to participate in zerker speedclear dungeon runs…. the other players can weed out the players who are running sub-optimal gear… and lets face it…. Who wants to run with players running a sub optimal build/gear

If you don’t want to go along with what the team wants, you have no place on the team.

Inspect is one of those things that bad players fear because they will get called out, and won’t be able to sneak into good teams any more.

I am for it 110%

If anything maybe it will light a fire under players and get them moving to actually get gear that isn’t garbage and use a build that the community has vetted as viable/useful instead of weighing teams down like an anchor.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Why i have the weird feeling after reading the replies that those who don’t agree with the OP didn’t actually read the first post … ?

Talyn.3295

Why i have the weird feeling after reading the replies that those who don’t agree with the OP didn’t actually read the first post … ?

You and me both

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

There is literally nothing negative or elitist that would happen with an inspect feature that is not already happening in the game right now.

I always find this a very great NON-argument.

Because it’s already happening doesn’t mean it should be implemented for everyone that isn’t doing this.

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

This is nothing to do with min-maxing or meta, this is to do with weeding out people who don’t meet your requirements joining your group.

If I ask for pink gear only and someone in blue joins, I reserve the right to kick.
If I ask for soldier gear only and someone in zealot’s joins, I reserve the right to kick.
If I ask for berserker gear only and someone in apothecary’s joins, I reserve the right to kick.

This tool would be designed to make it possible for people to stop unwelcome visitors from joining their groups. We’ve already had one hero in this thread mention how they join “zerk only” groups with his tanky character, which is unacceptable and unfair on the people making the group, just how if someone writes “killing all mobs” and gets crack, elite dungeoneers who power through the dungeon in 5 minutes ignoring everything besides the strict requirements to complete the dungeon, that is unacceptable too.

It’s almost as if people in this thread don’t want it to be possible for people to play with likeminded individuals, instead people on both sides of the pond have to put up with undesirables intruding on their groups, because of some sort of “greater good” of “no discrimination” which will never ever happen as much you would all want it to because people have different standards, expectations and want to uphold those.

Also, half of the people in this thread are just ranting about things the OP already answered, so please actually read the OP before commenting.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: MHo.1056

MHo.1056

Just my impression …

PlayHowIWant:

“You mustn´t dictate me how i play. I choose gear and build that i like. I play how i want.”

SoCalledElitist:

“I form my group how i want it to be. I just want players that use specific gear and builds. I play how i want.”

SoCalledElitist to PlayHowIWant:

“Yeah, it´s ok for me. I have no problem with you playing how you want in your groups.”

PlayHowIWant to SoCalledElitist:

“No, no, no! You are not allowed to play how you want. Not even in your own groups.”

So, who is narrow-minded and who is the bad guy?!

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Wow. Only extremely kittened people can understand how this will harm anyone but griefers, who join groups not fitting their criteria. Aside of that, this would be a win/win for both speedrunners and phiw’s.

Yeah .. and of course a DPS meter would also help to find out all those “slackers”.
Because .. even if your full ascended you can still be a “slacker” ..

Or should the gear-check maybe better directly include a history of your DPS from
the last 100 dungeons you did ? ^^

I wouldn’t really mind it, but I don’t see how that could yield much useful data. It’s probably just going to be misunderstood and result in “10k dps or kick” while some builds do not actually deal a lot of damage themselves but increase allies’. EA warriors or S/F + LH Eles as example.

What counts to me is honesty and trying their best. I don’t mind if people die at a boss or don’t do weapon rotations or forget a reflect, as long as they’re running offensive builds in offensive gear when joining “berserker only” parties, everything is alright.
What I mind is people joining “berserker only” parties and then wear carrion or sentinels. Let alone actually claiming to be using berserker gear and traits when they have 28k hp.

Now, since comments about how evil this would be still come up, I’d actually those who are against provide a scenario where this tool would hurt anyone not trying to grief others.
(When someone joins a “berserker level 80 only” party while wearing clerics gear, that is actually not respecting the parties advertisement and in some way griefing other players, in case someone brings this up.)

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by Dub.1273)

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Just my impression …

PlayHowIWant:

“You mustn´t dictate me how i play. I choose gear and build that i like. I play how i want.”

SoCalledElitist:

“I form my group how i want it to be. I just want players that use specific gear and builds. I play how i want.”

“Yeah, it´s ok for me. I have no problem with you playing how you want in your groups.”

“No, no, no! You are not allowed to play how you want. Not even in your own groups.”

If only your portrayal were real and relevant.

There’s nothing stopping the SoCalledElitist from playing how they want anyway – they just want tools to enforce their will upon others to command it be so.

PlayHowIWant != I get tools that singlehandedly turn MMO communities into judgmental cows so preoccupied with what everyone else is wearing and how they ‘measure up’ that any excuses of such tools’ legitimacy are faint, distant squeeks in the cacophonous furor of seething resent and nit-pickery.

God help you, but you might have to talk to people and tell them what you want in your run and don’t rather than relying on a shortened Twitter-esque message and presumption to do all of your party-making work for you.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

There is a partial solution to the lack of gear inspection problem. It does involve 3rd party software tho i doubt it would get anyone banned since there are people that have been using it for years now. What i am referring to is the dps meter created by fans

What this does besides tracking your parties dps is that it also tracks your party members health so you can easily weed out people who clearly do not have the “beserker” hp for their class. It isn’t fool proof however, since it does not pinpoint people who use knight or rabid or whatever, thats where its up to play observation to find out.

TheBlackLeech.9360

Just my impression …

PlayHowIWant:

SoCalledElitist:

There’s nothing stopping the SoCalledElitist from playing how they want anyway – they just want tools to enforce their will upon others to command it be so.

PlayHowIWant != I get tools that singlehandedly turn MMO communities into judgmental cows so preoccupied with what everyone else is wearing and how they ‘measure up’ that any excuses of such tools’ legitimacy are faint, distant squeeks in the cacophonous furor of seething resent and nit-pickery.

God help you, but you might have to talk to people and tell them what you want in your run and don’t rather than relying on a shortened Twitter-esque message and presumption to do all of your party-making work for you.

I think YOU are the one in dreamland.

naiasonod.9265

Just my impression …

PlayHowIWant:

SoCalledElitist:

I think YOU are the one in dreamland.

It seems that you would. I don’t have to do a thing in order for it to be self-evidencing as to just how divisive and vitriol-inducing inspect tools are often made to be wherever they crop up, and for a great many more than they ever likely do any good for.

Do you have any inkling of reason why anyone should think the clownery, rubbish and generally Stupid Human Trick foibles so easily and often seen in WoW, SWTOR, RIFT and even LotrO centric to such tools’ existence won’t repeat like a stuck CD here too?

No. Don’t even bother trying to reach for one; you haven’t any. Because there is no reason to imagine that the same stupidity that can be seen EVERYWHERE IT EXISTS won’t be just as common here if a tool like that is implemented.

My god, some of you people keep setting the draperies on fire expecting any result other than burning your own house down. Life must be incomprehensibly mysterious from whatever perspective it is that fuels the demented belief that doing stupid things will ever, or can ever, yield anything other than stupid results.

And this would be a stupid thing with a well-evidenced pattern for what sorts of stupid results it yields.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

the sheer animosity generated by simply discussing this topic is reason enough for it to never be implemented in the game.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

The issue here is that GW2 elitists are usually noobs who have just grinded their way to get the gear and AP. In which case, most don’t even know why they are using a specific gear-set and/or skill and would rather whine and complain without knowing the base for their arguments.

At least elitists in other MMOs know what they are doing :0

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

People are already judgemental in this game, the so called “PHIW” judges others all the time. I have heard it all, for people playing it “wrong” for farming places out in the world map to things like oh you should play just for the sake of playing, who cares if you aren’t rewarded at all, you have the wrong mindset all along.

The “PHIW” group are all hypocrites and nothing more, just a bunch of sad excuse of people who think their way of playing is superior and that the game should constantly revolve around them, thats why whenever there is a feature suggested for another group, whether elitest or rp or whatevers, they come into the thread like locust and spread bs like “oh it wont enhance my experience and thus you shall not have it”.

naiasonod.9265

Odd. I’m utterly against this and yet, I seem to have four full sets of ascended gear, go on regular runs with a guild nutty with scores of people running everything there is to run in the game without needing to be carried and…amazingly…not wanting to be either.

Nevets Crimsonwing, your assertion must either be far more selective in its application than your absolute terming suggests, or you’re simply…wrong.

I’ma go with ‘wrong’. Good day.

(edited by naiasonod.9265)

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Gear score is, and will always be, an unnecessary evil. It gives tools to people that encourage them to act in a manner that isn’t friendly and helpful.

Not the first time this has been brought up, and it’s not the first time the forum community has shot it down.

I don’t think it is “shot down” with a simple “no” or by adding the word elitisism into a post.

Can you explain how the change mentioned in the OP will harm anyone other than those who join LFG groups without fitting the criteria requested by it?

People will insist, absolutely insist on people checking their boxes. If you don’t want to check your box, for whatever reason, you will be excluded from parties.

But today’s exclusion criteria is even worse. I’ve seen kicks just because they felt the person isn’t “playing right”.
At least non-zerker players would now have a less unpleasant experience with zerker parties on account of not joining them.

In a sense it’s for their own good – I can’t really see why those against this tool would advocate that exposing the “casual players” to the strict rigor of meta groups a good idea.

It is basically for the good of finding like minded players.

Issues arise when meta and non-meta players mix (those who actively want to play non meta with those who want to run meta mostly).

Allowing people to identify each other and avoid each other will remove much of the pains.

It’ll also remove the constant relisting of lfgs because people are incapable of reading the descriptions.

Frankly I’d go one step further and allow trait inspection too.

The lfg tool having limitations so you only see groups suitable for you would be nice though.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Harper.4173

Each player who starts playing these games for the first time is like an unknown entity. They could end up being min/maxers or they could end up being more casual. Frankly, I’ve always believed this game in particularly has been designed for more casuals.

I believe you’re wrong here.
Ultimately I think external factors come into play here. Factors such as what type of person that player is, how much time he has and how seriously he takes games in general.

I doubt that a game’s design can push a player too far outside what his already established personality and way of life will produce as a type of player.

TheBlackLeech.9360

Odd. I’m utterly against this and yet, I seem to have four full sets of ascended gear, go on regular runs with a guild nutty with scores of people running everything there is to run in the game without needing to be carried and…amazingly…not wanting to be either.

Nevets Crinsonwing, your assertion must either be far more selective in its application than your absolute terming suggests, or you’re simply…wrong.

I’ma go with ‘wrong’. Good day.

If you primarily play with a guild group, why are you opposing a useful feature that is intended for enhancing PUG gameplay?

Perhaps instead of just telling people they are wrong, and being rude, you actually articulate the reasoning behind your opposition. As things are currently, you just seem to be spouting off at people “nope” “wrong” without any elaboration.

There is a definite desire for an inspect gear feature by at least half of the playerbase.
and yet… the other half is opposed.

Neither side of the argument can be wrong for having wants/desires.

…and if a feature is not immediately useful to you….. and you say you won’t have problems since you have appropriate gear…. what is the problem here?

Harper.4173

Just my impression …

PlayHowIWant:

SoCalledElitist:

I don’t want that and actually nobody wants that. I want tools that will keep people that I don’t like playing with and don’t want to party up with away from me.

I don’t care about enforcing anything. I just want those I dislike to no longer show up in my parties.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

While I do like the idea, I can picture that a majority of dungeon lfgs would practically add in the “gear check” option to their advertisements. This is just a potential risk to consider.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!