Again, ANet built up too much hype...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

They kept their mouths shut for far too long, so it’s hard to get excited for most of the changes at this point. Certainly didn’t need to drag the announcements out over a week.

Also this makes outmanned buff in wvw even more useless.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

The “big” changes are fixes to things most people see as bugs and problems. The feature patch does not introduce anything new or especially good, it just fixes what needed fixing.

Then don’t call it a feature patch.

Not in the software development world I’ve known for the past 45 years. These changes are features as they are changing documented behavior. Bug fixes are things to make the code work the way it was documented to work. Just because one doesn’t like the way something works doesn’t make it a bug. Generally nothing more than a misfeature at best.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Perhaps, if anet doesn’t want people to speculate about upcoming blog posts, they shouldn’t give them promising titles, then wait 2 weeks to post all of them? What do you think was the point of all that? To get people speculating. Anet has only themselves to blame if their posts don’t live up to people’s hype.

Nice, passing off the blame to the company

If YOU speculate about something so much that YOU get hyped up and YOU get disappointed when the truth didnt live up to YOUR hyped up expectations, who’s fault is it? If you missed the hints, it’s yours.

It’s basic psychology. People see whatever the hell they want to see. Take the “Solid Foundation” blog for example. Some people (and highly unrealistically) see it as an announcement for player/guild housing. Yes, because anet can suddenly fit 500 people onto a single map. Some people think it’s to deal with the pre-game of guild wars, the levels where you learn your character, and how to best use them the way you want. Much more reasonable than player housing. Hell, I see it as the announcement to the total overhaul of the guild system so that cross-server and multi-server guilds now have the same benefits (aka upgrades) that single-server guilds can have.

That’s one future discussion, 3 different people (at minimum) with 3 different ideas (at minimum) on what it’s going to be about. All of them could be right, a couple of them, or NONE of them could be correct. It’s our own fault if we get so hyped up over our own delusions that the actuality doesnt meet our expectations.

edit: Quite whining about it not being a “Feature Pack.” We still have over 2 weeks until it’s released, and have no idea what else it’s going to include.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

I’m surprised that they think this will stop the flood of players leaving for ESO.

Or that we needed to wait five+ months for these changes.

Flood? I beta-tested it. No way there will be a flood. The game, when I played it, sucked.

I was just talking about this today in queensdale actually.

People who havent played it have a lot of faith in it but the actual game is very boring. There will be an initial flood but as the game doesn’t really bring anything new to the table, it’ll last a few months before it’s forgotten by most.

See the thing is this.

What people fail to realize is sub games are less impacted by players not logging on then micro transaction games.

For the few months people try these new games – even if they don’t like them and don’t stay Anet makes absolutely zero money since the majority of their revenue is from the gem shop.

It’s been proven with sub games that people generally don’t cancel right away while trying other titles since subs are assumed reasonably affordable.

Between Teso and Wildstar GW2 will loose people just as other games do as well. Add into the fact that we will see no new content till at least june and people may stay gone a bit longer longer then you think.

But on the flipped side of the coin, there’s also the advantage of GW2 being B2P instead of P2P. It’s the reason I’m not playing FF14.

I got the box, and some recent additions intrigue me. But the fact that I need to pay to check them out is a barrier to re-entry for me. With GW2, if an interesting update comes along, I’d probably jump in just to check them out, and maybe, if I like them enough, I’ll spend some money on gems.

I understand but we will use the apparently hated game “Wow” on these forums.

I have had an active sub since the game launched. Even now while playing GW2 I have an active sub because quite frankly 14-15 a month isn’t going to break anyone and like it or not its the game I always fall back on since it does more things right in the end as much as I may hate to admit it then other games on the market.

GW2 I have invested in as well , but quite frankly after a year I feel I have not gotten my moneys worth out of anything but the box price. I am reluctant to use the gem shop again untill the Ascended Celestial problem is clarified and if they offer some type of consolation.

My point is what Anet has taught me is you get what you pay for when it comes to mmorpgs. Sub based game’s for whatever reason simply seem to offer far more value and content then any micro transaction game to date.

I was hoping GW2 would break that cycle but so far it hasn’t imo.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

For me, it’s less that I think this is bad at all, I just feel like this is all stuff we should have gotten six months ago, both to give a break from the Living Story (as well as allow it to sink in better) or maybe even a full year ago.

Posted by: apriores.4926

apriores.4926

I can’t get why so many people consider the inability to use more new weapons as a restriction… A restriction is that you can salvage all rings, except ascended. A restriction is when you have a Royall Pass and still kicks you out when you log in or return from PvP/WvW and you previously were in. You can use all kind of runes/sigils in forge, but not exotics!?… That’s an restriction. You can leave a dungeon anytime, anywhere using a Way Point, but you can’t use the Royall Pass in there?!… And, the biggest restriction in this game is the condition distribution system. Why should I have my dps reduced when other conditioners come in play?…
The ability to use a new weapon is an addition. You learn something new and not unlock some restriction.
And the funniest thing is … repair cost is not a restriction… and the blog name had nothing to do with what they presented today on the Restrictions blog.

(edited by apriores.4926)

Xenesis.6389

Nice, passing off the blame to the company

If YOU speculate about something so much that YOU get hyped up and YOU get disappointed when the truth didnt live up to YOUR hyped up expectations, who’s fault is it? If you missed the hints, it’s yours.

It’s basic psychology. People see whatever the hell they want to see. Take the “Solid Foundation” blog for example. Some people (and highly unrealistically) see it as an announcement for player/guild housing. Yes, because anet can suddenly fit 500 people onto a single map. Some people think it’s to deal with the pre-game of guild wars, the levels where you learn your character, and how to best use them the way you want. Much more reasonable than player housing. Hell, I see it as the announcement to the total overhaul of the guild system so that cross-server and multi-server guilds now have the same benefits (aka upgrades) that single-server guilds can have.

That’s one future discussion, 3 different people (at minimum) with 3 different ideas (at minimum) on what it’s going to be about. All of them could be right, a couple of them, or NONE of them could be correct. It’s our own fault if we get so hyped up over our own delusions that the actuality doesnt meet our expectations.

edit: Quite whining about it not being a “Feature Pack.” We still have over 2 weeks until it’s released, and have no idea what else it’s going to include.

No the blame still falls on the company because they are the ones releasing vague titles trying to hype their announcements in the first place. They want us to sit here happy with glee speculating on what they are bringing. Then they release something like no more repair cost for a blog titled Removing Restrictions, which frankly most people would think big on that one.

They could have been more considerate to their customers and taken at most 2 days to blog about the release, not a week, and announced it earlier. This is just them trying to hype this patch as much as possible to counter eso release, which at this point is too kitten late.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Step 1: Arena.net makes a vague announcement.

Step 2: Players go crazy with rampant speculation.

Step 3: Arena.net expands on their vague announcement at a later date.

Step 4: Player rage at Arena.net for “hyping” things and not delivering on players rampant speculation.

Makes sense.

Xenesis.6389

If they don’t want players rage than don’t make vague announcement titles a week before.
It’s really that simple.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

I’m surprised that they think this will stop the flood of players leaving for ESO.

Flood? I beta-tested it. No way there will be a flood. The game, when I played it, sucked.

People who havent played it have a lot of faith in it but the actual game is very boring. There will be an initial flood but as the game doesn’t really bring anything new to the table, it’ll last a few months before it’s forgotten by most.

See the thing is this.

What people fail to realize is sub games are less impacted by players not logging on then micro transaction games.

For the few months people try these new games – even if they don’t like them and don’t stay Anet makes absolutely zero money since the majority of their revenue is from the gem shop.

It’s been proven with sub games that people generally don’t cancel right away while trying other titles since subs are assumed reasonably affordable.

Between Teso and Wildstar GW2 will loose people just as other games do as well. Add into the fact that we will see no new content till at least june and people may stay gone a bit longer longer then you think.

But on the flipped side of the coin, there’s also the advantage of GW2 being B2P instead of P2P. It’s the reason I’m not playing FF14.

I got the box, and some recent additions intrigue me. But the fact that I need to pay to check them out is a barrier to re-entry for me. With GW2, if an interesting update comes along, I’d probably jump in just to check them out, and maybe, if I like them enough, I’ll spend some money on gems.

I have had an active sub since the game launched. Even now while playing GW2 I have an active sub because quite frankly 14-15 a month isn’t going to break anyone and like it or not its the game I always fall back on since it does more things right in the end as much as I may hate to admit it then other games on the market.

GW2 I have invested in as well , but quite frankly after a year I feel I have not gotten my moneys worth out of anything but the box price. I am reluctant to use the gem shop again untill the Ascended Celestial problem is clarified and if they offer some type of consolation.

My point is what Anet has taught me is you get what you pay for when it comes to mmorpgs. Sub based game’s for whatever reason simply seem to offer far more value and content then any micro transaction game to date.

Enjoy your sub games, apparently, I don’t see a single worthy in the market atm. WoW? I played it for 5 years, no need for more investment there.

chemiclord.3978

If they don’t want players rage than don’t make vague announcement titles a week before.
It’s really that simple.

Then those same players rage at Arena.net for not being “transparent” and not letting them know what’s going on until it’s kitten near too late.

It’s lose/lose with you people.

(edited by chemiclord.3978)

Posted by: Strix Nebulosa.3579

Strix Nebulosa.3579

I have to disagree with the hype. I think they are giving us just enough info to explain whats happening. And personally I am really excited about the changes. These are all great things that need to take place and I am glad Anet is doing it. As for ESO… it’s soooo brown! No color, drab drab drab. I like Gw2, call me a “fangirl” but I think it’s a great game and I am happy they are making these changes! I know we all want even more…(guild halls and tofu) but maybe they have more to tell us.. who knows! I am gonna wait and see before I complain

Aidan Savage.2078

It’s only vague because of what YOU are assuming it to mean. “Removing Restrictions” clearly means they’re removing some sort of… what was the word? Oh yes, restriction. WHAT the restriction is is what players are speculation on, and some of them are fixated on things that are clearly restrictions: soulbound and account-bound restrictions. This isnt the end-all be-all of restrictions. There’s just as easily a restriction on who can obtain a legendary weapon. Perhaps entry barriers based on your home server? Like the ones that screw over multi-server guilds from benefiting members with upgrades?

The same applies to every other blog available. Just because you made the mistake of assuming it means one thing so much you get a high off it and then become clinically depressed when the truth is something else is not anet’s fault. They didnt make you think too much about what it means. They didnt make you begin to believe it was some fantastical feature you’ve always wanted in the game. And they didnt make you fall into the pothole of self-delusion about the blog. That was all you. They simply made the choice to release the title of the blog, not a synopsis of what it’s going to cover.

Tell me, who do you blame if you think you’re getting ready to go out on a date with a hot girl off a dating site and a disappointment shows up at your door? You, for hyping yourself up too much and not realizing something could be too good to be true? Or the dating site for not verifying your “date’s” appearance, age, weight, gender, hair color, whatever? Or your “date” for not living up to your overhyped assumption? Because that’s a pretty kitten accurate analogy for this situation. Because people like you are seeing a 5’10" bombshell brunette supermodel when a 4’3" introverted librarian wearing a cardigan shows up instead. Your expectation didnt match the reality, and the dating site (anet) didnt guaranteed EITHER OF THEM.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Why not wait until all the blog post are released to make a thread like this?

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Aidan Savage.2078

Why not wait until all the blog post are released to make a thread like this?

Why not wait instead for the update to actually be out so people can see what wasnt actually covered in the blogs, but hinted at?

Oh wait, there’s a trend of overhyping the updates and being disappointed before they’re even available to GET disappointed at.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I feel like there’s not much to dislike here. The changes are all positives, which are… you know. Positive.

I think that sometimes people just expect too much. GW2 is like, the least restrictive MMO ever. It would be nice to have some new stuff, like zones and player housing, skills, new armor styles… you know. New stuff. But at least they’re continually improving things. Maybe after China is rolling along nicely we’ll get some cool new stuff too.

Xenesis.6389

Then those same players rage at Arena.net for not being “transparent” and not letting them know what’s going on until it’s kitten near too late.
It’s lose/lose with you people.

Look, last week when they put up that announcement that the april feature patch was coming, they could have told us the highlights for it at that point, instead they choose to take a week worth of mini blogs to announce parts of it. That is on them trying to hype it up, so whatever built up rage that comes falls on them for that, not the player who they left hanging for a week or more.

As for not letting us know what’s going on I’ll use account wxp as an example. They announced that they were working on that 5 months ago, not a single word on the progress of it was made during that time, except for rumors during eotm testing.

They said no major changes will be made during season 2(ha), they announced season 2 mar 7th no word of account wxp, they gave points reset last week no word on account wxp, now they wait a day before season 2 to announce they’re releasing account wxp. Why did they let us sit here waiting on the number 1 feature wvw players have been waiting on for at least a week, because the announcement blog was last week, but I’m sure they already knew it would be ready at least a month ago.

They are causing the hype and not dealing with it properly, it’s there fault if there’s player backlash. Next time tell us what’s in the patch when you announce it, and go into the details the week after if you want.

Lastly I did not speculate on any of the things they were announcing because I already know that leads to disappointment.

Posted by: Aktarus.5612

Aktarus.5612

Dont be surprised, they just do all these changes only for new players and specialy futur chinese players/servers….they just show they absolutly dont care about old players from gw1 and gw2, since all they do are asking since at least 1year…

They suck its up your money, now they aim chinese money…

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

I don’t think Anet hyped this as much as the community speculations hyped this. This was not meant to be a content update but like they said a feature update people that were expecting new dungeons, new areas, and new weapons and armor. That’s content sorry if you are disappointed but maybe you now know the difference. I agree some of this should have been in the game at the start but I think for a “FEATURE UPDATE” they did a good job

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Slowly releasing the info for a patch this big is the smart way to go.. it isn’t hyping it, it is letting the players process the information.

If we had all 10 blogs or however many, all at once, that would be a hell of a lot of information to take in at once.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

Posted by: Mishee.5719

Mishee.5719

I can see why people are getting upset, they are announcing a “big” content patch april 15:th. When they now releasing what’s coming piece by piece, we can now see that there is nothing more than just tiny updates that makes the life in Gw2 easier. I think we was hoping for something big (big in the terms of zones, armors, dungeons..etc, etc) and then got this…I really hope they don’t forget about what the “majority” wants.

chemiclord.3978

They did NOT announce a big “content” patch.

They NEVER announced a big “content” patch.

That you convinced yourself they did is YOUR problem.

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

I thought that the “Removing Restrictions” was the soulbound-accountbound fix. That makes a LOT more sense to me.

Also, I’d wait with saying that this patch is too hyped before we know all the things they’re going to add. Yes, the titles are misleading, and yesterday’s blog post takes the prize in vagueness. However, if we add everything up, the bug fixes for the professions (hooray for phantasm fixes!), the drastic sigil changes, the new traits, the wardrobe function, the ascended and legendary stuff and wvw exp becoming account-bound, guild login, removed repair costs, and then the four blogs we have left, we get a more polished game that is just overall more enjoying and streamlined. Then, when that’s done, we can get new areas and stuff. I prefer it this way, I’d rather enjoy new maps and dungeons after they fix all these things that prevent me from enjoying the game to the fullest.

I admit that I have no idea how other MMOs work, but then again, this is what I expect from GW2, for better or worse. I’m just happy to have a good MMO to play without monthly fees.

Edit: About them releasing one blog post per day, I think it’s partially for the feedback. The way they do it now makes people focus on one part at a time (see feedback threads). Had they just splurged it all out in one go people would have been overwhelmed, and one or two topics would have stolen the spotlight.

(edited by Linnea.5146)

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

So what do we have to expect from tomorrows blogpost?
Hype edition: Guild Halls, housing.
Realist edition: You are no longer able to fall through the floor of dungeons.

OMg I don’t care what anyone says this is the best answer to the thread. +1 good sir. Perhaps you can include getting stuck in the walls in AC? :P

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

People were hyped by this update? Its just an update of “stuff”.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

People like the OP wants to much… If you aren’t happy with this, you will never be happy… What did you expect? 100 new armour sets, 10 new dungeons and 54 new zones?

Ya~! Because Anet has never done that….ever…umm..ya….people forget about GW1…I guess Anet has too

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

That’s what you get for a Non-Subscription game! Pay if you want regular content!

Only major things we will get is expansions, maybe late this year or early next as NcSoft already asked for one expansion on the end of 2013.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

See the thing is this.

That’s because sub games have incentive to keep you playing. They lose money if you take a break for a month or two. Anet made most of their money off of people at box sale and then use the gem store to make up the difference.

If Person A never buys gems but Person B buys $30 of gems per month, Anet has effectively made as much as WoW would make off the two of those people but only has to make person B log in enough to buy the gems. They don’t care if person A does because they don’t buy gems and person B may only play 20-30 hours a month but still buys gems so that’s how long Anet has to keep them entertained for.

And before anyone flips kitten at me for picking on Anet, this is how all cashshop, no sub, games work because they exist to maximize profits and that’s the way you go about it. Target the greatest sources of revenue and then work to maintain/grow that revenue with the least amount of investment possible. GW2 is no exception.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Aidan Savage.2078

^Cant pick on you for making sense. Now, overhyping updates to disappointment, those people we can pick on.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

As much as I think the feature QoL pack is great, this is hardly anyones first mmorpg, the hype built around this is blatantly over the top on Anets part. Other mmo’s I have played would just stick this all on one page as a QoL section of a larger content update.

Instead 15 days (March 20th-April 4th) of hype w/a release of the QoL Feature Pack April 15th….c’mon.

Just drop it all in one announcement, here’s the patch notes, here’s the release date. Enjoy.

Now that we got QoL updates that should have been implemented six months ago at minimum set aside, and we are going on 19-20months the game has been live, where is the real content?

What is the game plan for the next year?
Still sticking to the same recipe of content (Living Story) we have seen since release?

It only needs to be a secret if their is something to hide? One of the best features of xpansion packs is knowing what’s to come: New races, professions, dungeons, raids, zones, personal story, overall story, weapons/armor, QoL, levels, mounts, PvP modes, etc..

JQ Druid

Posted by: AngelsShadow.7360

AngelsShadow.7360

I would just like to say that playing the ESO beta made me realise just how ‘spoilt’ we are with all the innate systems and features of GW2 that we just take for granted. Sure we may only be getting now a wardrobe, account bound legendaries, etc. Sure they may be calling it a ‘feature patch’, does it really matter though? We are getting things that we asked for – things they have undeniably spent a long time putting together, if that stuff doesn’t excite you, you should probably take a break from the game.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This patch is really about the china release. NA population has dwindled, we aren’t that important.

Who loves spending tons of money on micro transistion wardrobes? China…

Who will be effected the most by champ train nerfs, repair costs, account bound things, etc… new players who are just starting out… i.e. China…

account bound dyes… announced a month ago for china…

In reality this is just about the chinese release, we are just an afterthought.

Even if i have to agree you completely here, I say..

better get something late, than never!
It are changes and fixes, that will make the game alot more fun and relaxing to play still in the end.
So why can’t people just be happy about what we get.

This is just the very first “Feature Patch” and we still have only April.
Theres still 3/4th of the year 2014 open for Anet to come with something spectacular in regard of features. the bigger stuff that we all are talking, dreaming and suggesting of day for day… and also among that tons of thigns, that we have lately discussed in the several CDI Threads.

I’m very sure, that ANet will use the very valuable infos from these threads to make up for some plans for the upcoming months of this year.

Its i think sure, that we will see somewhen in the next months or even maybe even already in this Month for example as new Content San World 3 to come.

huge features, like adding Housing, or something like Guild Halls together with Guild Housing also too if we would go so far to combine these two features as content for the single player, as like the guild players, then we talk about something, that is an enermous task of programming and not something, that you just simply can implement from one month over another.

These things require alot more time. You could read in the blogposts about it, since when they are working basically on alot of these current changes about things, where alot of clueless people thing about, that many features are just so super simple to make and basically require only to press on the red imaginary implementation-button /endsarcasm

What i want to say is with this, alot o people here think, they know, what is "a minor change and hwat is not …
Fact is, only Anet can know that and what may look for many of us s a tiny thing to implement, can be maybe in reality a huge thing to do, because nobody of us can know, what it all takes at all to implement these thigns into this game, so that it will work also in the end properly with high standards of quality and performance without any bugs or any maybe upcoming other issues that need to get solved first maybe, before an implementation of somethign new will even work at all first…

Way too many people have way too high expectation and thats the reason, why many people get so hyped so easily and are disappointed then, when the added things don’t met up to their own expectations.
Having way too high expectations will be always linked together with the fact of a preprogrammed disappointment to follow automatically

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I would just like to say that playing the ESO beta made me realise just how ‘spoilt’ we are with all the innate systems and features of GW2 that we just take for granted. Sure we may only be getting now a wardrobe, account bound legendaries, etc. Sure they may be calling it a ‘feature patch’, does it really matter though? We are getting things that we asked for – things they have undeniably spent a long time putting together, if that stuff doesn’t excite you, you should probably take a break from the game.

As much as I agree these are great QoL updates, they hold no water if not followed through with exciting substantial content to look forward to. If these QoL updates are followed through w/the same recipe of content we have seen since release….playing dress up & just adding new abilities for same ol’ same ol’ will only go so far.

JQ Druid

Aidan Savage.2078

As much as I agree these are great QoL updates, they hold no water if not followed through with exciting substantial content to look forward to. If these QoL updates are followed through w/the same recipe of content we have seen since release….playing dress up & just adding new abilities for same ol’ same ol’ will only go so far.

You have the spring WvW crap for content at the moment. The next content release is likely to bring out substantial area releases (ever notice the unreachable portals in Brisban?) that will correlate with the finale of what we saw in the last cutscene of Salad’s part in the story.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

You have the spring WvW crap for content at the moment. The next content release is likely to bring out substantial area releases (ever notice the unreachable portals in Brisban?) that will correlate with the finale of what we saw in the last cutscene of Salad’s part in the story.

The portals to the unavailable parts of Tyria have been there since launch. Doesn’t mean we are going to get to go through them soon nor does it mean the next LS will have anything to do with the last one.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

snip

Free re-traits and free armour repairs are NOT features and could have easily been slipped in some living story patch notes.

The free armor repairs could also very easily have been worked into a reward for completing heart/dynamic events involving blacksmiths around Tyria.

For example, let’s say there’s an achievement under ‘exploration’ in which you must aid a blacksmith in each zone and once the meta is completed, you never pay for another armor repair from any source ever again. It could have added a whole new dimension to ‘map completion’. If it were apart from the Living Story, it would also allow players to complete the achievement on their own terms rather than worrying about being time-gated.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

disapointed so much repair man what a epic joke they beter make free movment around each map not to pa 3 silver for map travel instead this repair what A joke!!!!! nothing new i need guild halls new zones new profesions new things to do NEW!!! im here since beta iv seen it all iv seen it all more then 30 times

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Step 4: Player rage at Arena.net for “hyping” things and not delivering on players rampant speculation.

Makes sense.

If anet didn’t want us to speculate, then perhaps they shouldn’t’ve made this a week long daily blog update to get the players hyped up about the posts, giving us only vague titles that hinted at what was to come. Anet has no one to blame but themselves.

chemiclord.3978

Makes sense.

If anet didn’t want us to speculate, then perhaps they should’ve made this a week long daily blog update to get the players hyped up about the posts, give us vague titles that hinted at what was to come. Anet has no one to blame but themselves.

For what it’s worth, Step 2 isn’t the problem. Step 4 is. It’s all fine to wonder, “What’s in the box?” The problem occurs when you find out what’s in the present, then throw it in their face screaming like a 4-year old because it isn’t exactly what you wanted.

And frankly, that is entirely the player’s problem. This “hype” is almost entirely player driven, and therefore we are to blame.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

But Anet fed the hype by releasing the blogs they way they have. If they didn’t want people to speculate, why release them over a week and a half, and give us vague titles at the start? I think it’s somewhat fair to say it’s not fair to blame anet for not giving us our wildest dreams, but I think the blame is mostly on anet for letting us run rampant with out expectations. It’s their job to temper our expectations so that we don’t get disappointed when the truth comes out.

chemiclord.3978

Not complaining about the upcoming patch btw, I’m really looking forward to it. But what you said is not true, they did not just announce a few quality of life updates
They really did hype it up, especially with this blog list

There’s a fairly significant difference between “content” and “features”, especially when it pertains to games.

Arena.net has not at any point announced anything pertaining to a “content” patch.

chemiclord.3978

But Anet fed the hype by releasing the blogs they way they have. If they didn’t want people to speculate, why release them over a week and a half, and give us vague titles at the start? I think it’s somewhat fair to say it’s not fair to blame anet for not giving us our wildest dreams, but I think the blame is mostly on anet for letting us run rampant with out expectations. It’s their job to temper our expectations so that we don’t get disappointed when the truth comes out.

This much is true.

Personally, my advice to Arena.net has pretty much been to not say anything. Don’t make vague promises. Don’t set timetables. Just do what you want to do, and tell customers when it’s ready. If you absolutely feel you HAVE to get player feedback, drop your ideas and tell them quite simply, “It’ll be done when it’s done. We will not give you an update. We will not give you a timetable. It’ll be done when it’s done.”

Regardless, their current method does NOT excuse the behavior of a very small segment of the player base.

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

I have to agree with the OP. I am sorry but if this is called a feature PACK patch then what do we call an actual feature patch where new things are introduced?

Yes, the game is moving towards the right direction but all these changes should have been done (finalized) on release and not waste players time and specially the valuable developer’s time on re-working the game so that these changes can apply.

There is just too much hype for these changes and the reason for it is that the community has been on their knees begging for these changes since release day and after 2 years and a thousands CDI, we finally get something we have asked for….

I understand the amount of efforts that go into these things to do it properly but why make the wrong decisions when introducing something new and then spend 6 months figuring out how to fix it? That precious time can go into something more valuable to the game and the community.

…but enough has been said, enough hope has been shattered, and enough players have been tired of waiting.

The excitement is only a small light shining from a cracked door on a old piece of rug that is covered by dust….

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

(edited by Zylonite.5913)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Not complaining about the upcoming patch btw, I’m really looking forward to it. But what you said is not true, they did not just announce a few quality of life updates
They really did hype it up, especially with this blog list

There’s a fairly significant difference between “content” and “features”, especially when it pertains to games.

Arena.net has not at any point announced anything pertaining to a “content” patch.

Nor did I ever state they did announce content. But Rainbow Sprint was apparantly under the impression that Arenanet only announced, and I qoute: A few QoL updates

While they infact announced major features. (Like the wardrobe, which I absolutely love).

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Aidan Savage.2078

No, it’s their job to do what their job is. And that isnt keeping players in check. Besides, ANYONE who’s played MMOs for a good length of time know that devs and publishers face a kitten ed if you do and kitten ed if you dont scenario. Players kitten when there’s no announcements. Players kitten when there’s announcements. Players kitten when announcements dont live up to their self-deluded expectations. Players kitten when the game company says the announcement is for this and that instead of some unrealistic fantasy concocted by players.

See the common point? It’s entirely unreasonable to think that anet is going to willingly walk into more flak than they have to as a result of ill-mannered players with a disgustingly sense of ego and entitlement.

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

Just going to say, well done Anet, I’ve enjoyed reading the blog and am looking forward to the changes, and I don’t agree with the OP though I respect his opinion.

Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Sounds like your trying to tell your self any thing you can to make you hate something that you like. Or to trick your self into thinking something is not as good as you think it is.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

chemiclord.3978

Nor did I ever state they did announce content. But Rainbow Sprint was apparantly under the impression that Arenanet only announced, and I qoute: A few QoL updates

While they infact announced major features. (Like the wardrobe, which I absolutely love).

Ah… now I see the issue. There was a misquote on my very first post. I was actually attempting to respond to THIS post:

I can see why people are getting upset, they are announcing a “big” content patch april 15:th. When they now releasing what’s coming piece by piece, we can now see that there is nothing more than just tiny updates that makes the life in Gw2 easier. I think we was hoping for something big (big in the terms of zones, armors, dungeons..etc, etc) and then got this…I really hope they don’t forget about what the “majority” wants.

Apologies for the confusion.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Makes sense.

If anet didn’t want us to speculate, then perhaps they shouldn’t’ve made this a week long daily blog update to get the players hyped up about the posts, giving us only vague titles that hinted at what was to come. Anet has no one to blame but themselves.

They’re putting out information. You are hyping yourself up.

Or previously had hyped yourself up. I expect you aren’t hyped anymore.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

(edited by zenleto.6179)

Posted by: Vystirch.3418

Vystirch.3418

I must say, I’m happy to see the game changing and upgrading, but this is very very far from enough, to keep me playing. Most of the changes are aimed for newcomers.

Then please stop playing, and especially stop posting on these great forums.

Why always so negative? I can assure you no MMO, not even the alright WoW #sarcasm started off perfect.

These are all required updates to make the game become the best out there.

Treebeard, “That doesn’t make sense to me. But, then again, you are very small.”

(edited by Vystirch.3418)