Against De-promoting 'Holy Trinity'

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: francisling.2987

francisling.2987

Please understand that being a tanker or a healer isn’t an unwanted chore, a lot of people actually love it, and to see that group support traits(skills are oo-kay still) are almost always at the end of the line, and aggros are so messy that tankers are not even viable, is pretty sad.

Moreover, this DPS-preferred community seems to be ‘all in for myself’, as seen in most world events and dungeons, people using group buffs are next to none, with everyone strictly on their own dps, killing anything that is marked. Theres barely any sense of synchronization going on. That’s what happen if you promote a single DPS community into taking care of their own healings and tankings, they start thinking that they’re the ‘chosen one’ of sorts. Even combos arent much to be bothered as far as teamwork goes.

Anyway, just hoping that you will look into this matter and review it in the future. But definitely not now, definitely, we’re already having a lot of ‘see-saw’ nerfs and buffs every week it’s hard to keep track, and the extremely controversial Ascended, it’s enough for now!

p.s. I’m a dedicated healer throughout my entire mmo life!

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

Afaik, you can spec into “tank” spec and “heal” spec.
I think what they mean with this is that you don’t need to have a healer or a tank to be able to do dungeons.

I, myself, love how they have made it. I used to play a low populated game and I sometimes had to wait hours just to find that tank or healer.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

ANet, please don’t fall back on your no trinity promise either : Do not listen to these people. It’s enough we have Ascended gear, we need more originality like this.

To the OP : If tanking and healing is what you want, the market is saturated with what you want. Can I get you to look at those products?

Considering you can (potentially) spec tough vit healing power, you can spec healing tank.

francisling.2987

Yea, that’s it! That’s the problem Pukknub, Would love to see a bit more teamwork going on! Everyone playing their favorite roles and actually be useful in it. It’s a mmo after all.

But anyway, I do understand the general difficulty of finding a tank or a healer, and on that, Anet has it in the right path!

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Please understand that being a tanker or a healer isn’t an unwanted chore, a lot of people actually love it, and to see that group support traits(skills are oo-kay still) are almost always at the end of the line, and aggros are so messy that tankers are not even viable, is pretty sad.

Moreover, this DPS-preferred community seems to be ‘all in for myself’, as seen in most world events and dungeons, people using group buffs are next to none, with everyone strictly on their own dps, killing anything that is marked. Theres barely any sense of synchronization going on. That’s what happen if you promote a single DPS community into taking care of their own healings and tankings, they start thinking that they’re the ‘chosen one’ of sorts. Even combos arent much to be bothered as far as teamwork goes.

Anyway, just hoping that you will look into this matter and review it in the future. But definitely not now, definitely, we’re already having a lot of ‘see-saw’ nerfs and buffs every week it’s hard to keep track, and the extremely controversial Ascended, it’s enough for now!

While I don’t really think they need dedicated healers, tanks, etc, I can see your point.
I play an ele, and at first I was using my group healing to keep others alive in the group events, but I found out very quickly if I did not attack the targets enough, I got no credit for even perticipating in the fight. It would be nice if you we got points for healing the group as well as hitting the targets.

francisling.2987

Here we go. Gear progression whiners got what they wanted, so now we’re starting with the holy trinity.

Oh hell, why not? Give us raids and pandas while you’re at it too, Anet!

Not whining, I’m not DEMANDING changes, read. I’m suggesting, in a friendly manner lol.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Here we go. Gear progression whiners got what they wanted, so now we’re starting with the holy trinity.

Oh hell, why not? Give us raids and pandas while you’re at it too, Anet!

Whoa…not cool. Do not just label people without any proof. He has a debate and a suggestion and an explanation, this is valid. if you want argue with him that’s fine, but try to make it more productive instead of name calling. I for one do not care about the holy trinity and like playing any role and still believe that there are roles than can be specifically played if you choose the right class/build. Anyways, I disagree with the OP. But guys, if you are against it, state your reasons, not only your feelings.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

If we’re offering friendly suggestions, then here’s mine: if you want to play as a dedicated healer and/or a tank, why not play a game that offers that option? There is no reason to homogenize all MMOs.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

People don’t use group buffs only in PUGs.Why should they?It’s a random collected group.Now if you take a pre-made group they will use all their skills on max.It’s the same concept in other mmos.Do you expect people who are randomly colected through LFG to have some sinchronisation between them?Gosh mate specific rolls are not bound to give something.Everything is the same as here.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

There is a thread dedicated to suggestions. You can find it here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Game-Improvement-Suggestions/page/21#post756885

Please feel free to add whatever suggestions you have that could improve the game.

Thanks

Posted by: WolftheAngel.4089

WolftheAngel.4089

I’d rather not have rules set back to the “holy trinity order”. The reason why I bought this game in the first place was because I wanted to get away from all of that. I like the fact that everyone can revive everyone and no one really “tanks”. Plus, I what if let’s say the class that healed everyone was a really cool class to play because the skills that it offered were really cool, but the person who wanted to play that class didn’t necessarily want to heal? What if they had trouble leveling or playing the game because of this? I’ve played many games where the healer always got yelled at or kicked from the party because they were slow at healing or reviving the group. In these same games the healer also had trouble leveling up or simply got tired of always healing.

Posted by: Djinn.4396

Djinn.4396

People don’t use group buffs only in PUGs.Why should they?It’s a random collected group.Now if you take a pre-made group they will use all their skills on max.It’s the same concept in other mmos.Do you expect people who are randomly colected through LFG to have some sinchronisation between them?Gosh mate specific rolls are not bound to give something.Everything is the same as here.

Well they’d have to actually have a LFG tool for that to work…

Posted by: trigger.6893

trigger.6893

Yeah Anet, it’s still time to change your views on the holy trinity and add it back to the game.
After all, you already did it for the gear treadmill.

And I’m (almost) serious ; I don’t see myself playing this game anymore with the ascended crap. Let’s cater to your true core audience and change Guild Wars 2 into Generic Wars 2.

francisling.2987

Glad to see this topic go hostile! Anyway, I think most of you severely misunderstood me when I say ‘Bring back the holy trinity’.

It’s by no means to kill ‘self-survivability’ all classes currently have. And it’s nice people don’t have to spend 2 hours to find a healer for a dungeon.

But would it really hurt anyone if healers and tankers gets their roles improved, I mean, trading out less dps for more group support & tanking usefulness? And probably some ‘recognitions’ for our ‘assist kills’?

It sure is a hostile week, sensitive peoples out here!

GADefence.5634

“It sure is a hostile week, sensitive peoples out here!”

You’re basically going into a realistic first person shooter and telling everyone there be melee weapons, third person combat, looting and jetpacks. Then calling everyone sensitive when they say why don’t you go play a game that does that, like borderlands or something.

francisling.2987

I think I started my post in a very very friendly and thoughtful manner to everyone. I am not ‘demanding’ changes while banging the tables here…and I specifically used the word ‘review’. So then what pops out?

“why not play a game that offers that option?”

“And I’m (almost) serious ; I don’t see myself playing this game anymore with the ascended crap. Let’s cater to your true core audience and change Guild Wars 2 into Generic Wars 2.”

Not hostile? Moderator, can you lock this topic? I’m out and sorry to bother.

Posted by: Omega.1473

Omega.1473

Glad to see this topic go hostile! Anyway, I think most of you severely misunderstood me when I say ‘Bring back the holy trinity’.

It’s by no means to kill ‘self-survivability’ all classes currently have. And it’s nice people don’t have to spend 2 hours to find a healer for a dungeon.

But would it really hurt anyone if healers and tankers gets their roles improved, I mean, trading out less dps for more group support & tanking usefulness? And probably some ‘recognitions’ for our ‘assist kills’?

It sure is a hostile week, sensitive peoples out here!

Yes it would hurt. The game would then have to be balanced around such dedicated roles and the whole aggro mechanic would need to be revamped. You can’t have self sufficiency and the trinity co-existing in the same content, they’re directly incompatible.

If you make an enemy do enough damage to take down a “tank”, they’d be able to wipe out a self sufficient character in one shot. If you make an enemy that needs to be focused down by a dedicated DPS, then a self sufficient character will take forever to take them down. If you make an enemy that casts enough conditions to require a dedicated support/healer, then a self sufficient character will be drowning in bleeds and burns.

You can’t balance around both paradigms.

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

I think I started my post in a very very friendly and thoughtful manner to everyone. I am not ‘demanding’ changes while banging the tables here…and I specifically used the word ‘review’. So then what pops out?

“why not play a game that offers that option?”

“And I’m (almost) serious ; I don’t see myself playing this game anymore with the ascended crap. Let’s cater to your true core audience and change Guild Wars 2 into Generic Wars 2.”

Not hostile? Moderator, can you lock this topic? I’m out and sorry to bother.

Can you not see how insensitive your timing is, if nothing else? Arenanet JUST broke one of their core promises regarding the game and while we’re suffering through the fallout of that decision, you ask them to consider breaking another? Don’t go pouring salt into peoples wounds and then act like you’re the injured party when they scream.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Dragula.9613

Dragula.9613

No tinity… ever!

Posted by: JunkyardWolf.4126

JunkyardWolf.4126

This Dodge isn’t a Chevy, I only like Chevys but figured I’d give this Dodge a try, it’s nice but would be sooo much more perfect if it were a Chevy! Make this Dodge be more like a Chevy and I’d love it fuh evah!

Just drive what you want, and leave other people (and their cars/trucks/games) alone.

Or to put it another way, stop trying to turn Product X into Product Y when there’s already so much of Product Y out there that there’s no reason whatsoever to turn Product X into something it’s not.

How are people not getting this?

Ugh.

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

A lot of people are happy to break free from the Holy Trinity and to be honest I am happy that a developer has provided one, I will always play this game off and on, but I am one of those who likes healing and support and so will not be as rewarded as a straight dps player in this game. I like the synchronization of having class specific roles as well. It is just frusting to me when developers try to blur the lines so much between classes with the “everyone can do everything” thinking that no one is allowed to excel over any one else with any particular job. I Loved being an incredible healer. I know my husband Loved being an incredible aoe tank, Just like his partner Loved being the best single target tank, and I know there are other who Loved excelling above other classes with damage.

I really don’t understand the need to trash the Holy trinity, although providing options is not a bad thing, there are games that provide what others want, I just hope those others don’t go to games that release with the Holy Trinity model and demand they change it.

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

No thanks. Other games have what you’re looking for.

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

JunkyardWolf.4126

@Efaicia.3672:

There are already quite a few MMORPGs that cater to exactly the play styles you described, and several of those games are still going strong today with healthy player communities and development. It’s not as if you won’t get what you want if it’s not provided in GW2. Quite the contrary, you (and people like you who enjoy those play styles) have MANY options, certainly many more than those of us who don’t.

In short: You already have what you want. Let the remainder of us have what we want.

And stop trying to make every MMORPG adhere to the same old formula when your wishes (and that same formula) are already being catered to by the vast majority of games in the genre.

Omega.1473

I just hope those others don’t go to games that release with the Holy Trinity model and demand they change it.

Don’t come here and ask to change this one.

I’m not being hostile, but that’s what you are insinuating and its offensive to people who are quite nearly through with this game due to the current level of betrayal we feel from the introduction of Ascended gear. Any move towards further specialization and division of roles will turn this game into one long joke with no punch line.

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

Personally, I love that there are no set roles needed for groups. I remember the days in other mmos trying for hours to put together groups because there just wasn’t an available tank or healer. I like that if you have a small guild, you can go with whomever/whatever person or professions you have available instead of having to force a profession type on someone who doesn’t necessarily want to play it, for the simple act of guild progression.

That said, I would LOVE if Anet would consider adding ‘participation’ to those who are running around reviving and healing their fallen comrades in battle. Doesn’t seem fair that the person who didn’t do as much damage because he was supporting his team, doesn’t get participation.

*edited because I are not speel gud.

Posted by: Guppy.6541

Guppy.6541

I think they did a fantastic job realizing that dependency on the ‘trinity’ was unhealthy for casual players as ‘looking for healer’ was very common for groups. Without one, you could not play PvP. (recall GW1)

Unfortunatley, they took that to an extreme to (almost) prevent healing and upscale DPS so the game lost of a lot of strategy. Damage mitigation would have been very interesting, but its simply not a healthy ratio maintained between damage and damage mitigation right now.

Regen of HP and Degen of HP was also a really fun combat mechanic in GW1. This basically doesn’t exist anymore and i think the dev’s really did not like this with action oriented combat. I don’t know why they didn’t modify this and implement some form of it… (perhaps to avoid people looking at UI too much.. but that is almost a lazy solution in my opinion)

Balance wise, its very difficult to overlook the effects of what healing does to the game. If you added a dedicated healer, the game right now would be incredibly dependent on it for groups to be successful.

I would say, they did well to avoid this, but poorly followed through on their implementation.
(just play sPvP and check out what kind of mechanics replaced the holy trinity gameplay)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Yea, that’s it! That’s the problem Pukknub, Would love to see a bit more teamwork going on! Everyone playing their favorite roles and actually be useful in it. It’s a mmo after all.

But anyway, I do understand the general difficulty of finding a tank or a healer, and on that, Anet has it in the right path!

That’s the thing. Given the right mechanics, you can have teamwork WITHOUT the Trinity as well.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Efaicia.3672

@Efaicia.3672:

There are already quite a few MMORPGs that cater to exactly the play styles you described, and several of those games are still going strong today with healthy player communities and development. It’s not as if you won’t get what you want if it’s not provided in GW2. Quite the contrary, you (and people like you who enjoy those play styles) have MANY options, certainly many more than those of us who don’t.

In short: You already have what you want. Let the remainder of us have what we want.

And stop trying to make every MMORPG adhere to the same old formula when your wishes (and that same formula) are already being catered to by the vast majority of games in the genre.

Maybe You misinterpreted , as I stated that I am happy there are outlets for both styles of play and that I would continue to play this game off and on and support it in that way, however I still enjoy the trinity style and will play those as well. I hope that the trinity style games will be given the same respect as I have tried to provide with my post.

I am sorry if I misspoke and made you think I demanded anyone change this game to suite me.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Absolutely no way for the trinity. It’s one of the reasons why I was so interested in the game. If they changed everything and put it in, I’d be out.

Now what I do think is that they should emphasize combos a bit more. That is one avenue to utilize in order promote team work.

GADefence.5634

“Absolutely no way for the trinity. It’s one of the reasons why I was so interested in the game. If they changed everything and put it in, I’d be out.”

If I didn’t have a guild of 100, I’d already be out.

Efaicia.3672

That’s the thing. Given the right mechanics, you can have teamwork WITHOUT the Trinity as well.

Which was why I was so happy with the combo’s and the whole reason I wanted to play Elementalist, however when other classes are allowed to be completely oblivious to such mechanics then the teamwork just isn’t there. It then becomes all about making sure I have my fields where other players just happen to be and hope they use a usefull ability to help keep themselves alive. <—- doesn’t happen very often as, like I said, other classes are allowed to be clueless and just do not need the teamwork mechanics in this game.

JunkyardWolf.4126

aggros are so messy that tankers are not even viable, is pretty sad.

You do realize that the “messy agro” is intentional, right? It’s not a bug, it’s not a lack of foresight, it’s the way it’s intended to be. If that crimps your play style, maybe you need to check your old-school-MMO preconceptions at the door.

Not gonna bother commenting on the rest of your post, others have already covered those points.

So I will simply say this: I love NOT being pigeon-holed into a predefined “role”. I enjoy jumping into and out of the “tanking” role for brief periods, then kiting/rDPS for a while, then reviving fallen players, then AOE spawn-control, then back to tanking briefly. This game allows me to do all that, and then some.

During my years in WoW I was at various times DPS, tank, and occasionally healer. And every time, that “role” was all I could do. If I was spec’d as tank, then I could do nothing else during the run; likewise when spec’d DPS or healer (depending on class as well of course).

I don’t like being forced into a certain role and told to “stay there until we’re done”. I like variety. I like unpredictability, reacting to the situation. I like doing tanky stuff one minute, and the next reviving allies, and the next dealing out damage and debuffs, all in the same fight.

At this point I think the only people left who truly enjoy the predefined roles (ie. “this is ALL you will do in this dungeon”) are people who are so indoctrinated into the idea of following a script that they can’t conceive of gameplay that requires them to think on their feet and do things they weren’t planning on doing.

(I’m not saying GW2’s dungeons are revolutionary, but at least the way the game’s underlying principles inform other gameplay elements, you certainly always have options.)

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Yes we need the the trinity back and we will all be whole again. group finder,duelling,mounts,gear treadmill.
And for those who dont have time to grind just put the stat stuff in the store :we need to cater to everyone here.

I think then the game would be whole and worth continuing to play.

Posted by: Nymia.3256

Nymia.3256

Let’s see this happen. Of course, we would also need a way to target allies and maybe some targeted heals. Then you’d have to make sure to add some Taunts to the heavy armor wearers.

After that we could put in a LFG tool to automatically match you up with cross-server team to do dungeon runs. I mean, they already use that technology in PvP.

Speaking of PvP… we need to make sure the trinity gets in there too. I think taunt should have the same affect on PvP. And it’s really not fair that a rank 43 player doesn’t have anything over a rank 10 player. This dedicated effort should be rewarded properly.

You know what else would be cool? What if we restarted the Charr – Human war, and had the other races pick sides. We could stop them from talking to each other completely, and put them forever at odds. This would add a whole new dynamic to the game that I think really is missing right now.

Omega.1473

Let’s see this happen. Of course, we would also need a way to target allies and maybe some targeted heals. Then you’d have to make sure to add some Taunts to the heavy armor wearers.

After that we could put in a LFG tool to automatically match you up with cross-server team to do dungeon runs. I mean, they already use that technology in PvP.

Speaking of PvP… we need to make sure the trinity gets in there too. I think taunt should have the same affect on PvP. And it’s really not fair that a rank 43 player doesn’t have anything over a rank 10 player. This dedicated effort should be rewarded properly.

You know what else would be cool? What if we restarted the Charr – Human war, and had the other races pick sides. We could stop them from talking to each other completely, and put them forever at odds. This would add a whole new dynamic to the game that I think really is missing right now.

Don’t say this. People don’t get sarcasm and if there are devs reading these forums, they’re pretty obviously complete morons so they’ll take this literally.

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

…and quite a lot of people frankly do not love it and see it as a chore. It is easy to see both sides and understand them. There is no absolute “This side wins!” case.

I remember in early days of MMORPGs aggro mechanics were a mystery as well and laden with misconceptions. Up until people slowly figured it out over time.

I’d also prefer correct semantics: Tank.

Holy trinity is an artificial enforcement of teamwork. It doesn’t make players magically become teamworkers. In a holy trinity based game you can also meet a lot people who are accepting a role for selfish reasons only. Outside the part of content which requires it they may still not be bothered to help you at all.

But that’s beside the point because it is at the end of the day still teamwork, just not an altruistic thus indefinitely defensible concept in this context.

I’ve been playing these roles solely as well and I am still not seeing how this warrants me selfishly demanding the game to bow to my terms of conditions. There is no need to review it unless they run out of solutions for their current issues. If you are believing that holy trinity was conceived in perfection then I will tell you this: It wasn’t, there were a ton of controversial issues as well which got ironed out by various MMORPGs over time. So why should ANet not even bother iterating and improve on what they have, why immediately switch over to the old ways just because new ways aren’t perfected yet or just not immediately?

I’d say if they are switching to holy trinity the same way they peddled back on the progression issues then the term controversy has to be redefined once they do.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

No, there is no way they should add the trinity back in.

You just turn into WoW with less content. Which has ended badly for every game that has tried.

Stick to your guns and try to be different. If you copy WoW you will fail like everyone else because they have a 7 year head start on being WoW.

Posted by: Maethril.9586

Maethril.9586

Seriously, there is no need for trinity here, though if people really still wants to use them they are possible To Some extent.

Guardian is closest thing to healer what I have played so far, though more closer to cleric to be honest. With right items and stat build you can make it sort of “healer” with defensive buffs, combined with good overall durability.
Sounds cleric to me, good for support and/or even as backup tank.

Warrior specially with mace/shield & warhammer can work out as “tank” role thanks to stuns and such. Of course building it to heavily for vitality and toughness and heavily for regen too. (warrior can have 2 regens from their own + leech/water sigils in weapons + regen from foods, not sure about player given regens though.)
Closest for basic tank you can get with good regen, sadly you can’t really “lure” enemies to you that easily, but at least you can be annoying enough.

Necros is said to be good tanks, but I don’t have own experience of them at all.

DPS can be pretty much any semi-glass cannon as long they wont die too easily.
Though imo ranger is quite decent for the job too, with devourers if want to keep ranged or high vitality pets with conditions like chills/stun/cripple/etc for helping “tank”, also requires some pet management skills too. (which seems to be rare talent with rangers to be honest)

Thus these works out best only in dungeons & other smaller scale pve.

And ain’t even close to perfect, but at least you can imagine those simple roles in it if you feel like “MustHaveTheseInMmo”.
Though lacking aggro system “tank” & team needs to be good when timing stuns/cripple/immobilizes etc and those comes from training & familiar group. :P

Lvl 80 Warrior – Ranger – Thief – Elementalist – Mesmer – Guardian.
Switched Anet to Square E and haven’t regretted it even once.

Posted by: Bolt.8791

Bolt.8791

Doesn’t matter holy trinity or not but classes should be able to give each other big fat buffs. I mean really big fat buffs, not might/swiftness stack crap whatsoever. If the don’t – teamplay just doesn’t work. It doesn’t work at all atm btw.

Posted by: Booning.5476

Booning.5476

you know, It might be the booze but I am beginning to think all this is some sort of black opps marketing attack from you know who. If you made a list of what would annoy gw2 fans, most it would be covered by what anet have done because of “feedback” and now we have posts asking for duels and holy trinity? Where did the missus put the tin foil? my head feels… exposed.

Posted by: Steely Phil.3952

Steely Phil.3952

Sure, why not? They’ve gone back on all their other design decisions and promises.

“Yo dawg, we heard you liked grind.” -ANet

Posted by: trigger.6893

trigger.6893

Sorry if my comment have been interpreted as “hostile”. “Sarcastic” was more what I had in mind when I wrote it.

I would happily have had a constructive discussion with you if Arena Net didn’t throw all my belief (and what I though was theirs) away with the last update.
You just wrote the wrong thing at a very wrong time.

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

I don’t think the point was to “eliminate” the Holy Trinity, it was to free people from being pigeon holed into those roles. I feel ANet should offer even more skills/weapons to allow people to make that decision on their own, no matter what gear they have.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Oh please not.

First people cry for more gear tiers, and now we have this mess which is Ascended gear, which just serves to wash out the uniqueness of GW2 and with it it’s appeal.

Now you’re asking for even more sameness? Play WoW or one of it’s myriad of clones, plenty trinity there. What’s so bad about MMOs appealing to different target audiences? :S

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

“Different” is not necessarily “Better”. “No holy trinity” was supposed to mean that the roles would still be there, but anyone could spec their character for any of the roles. At least, thats how the fanboys explained the system to critics of the decision back in the BWE days to convince them to buy the game. Instead, we got a “Holy Unity” – DPS with useless minor spec choices towards healing/tanking, making PvE encounters mind-numbingly simple pinatas that require zero teamwork.

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

Guild Wars 2 devs initially spoke of how it was meant to allow classes to be able to do anything the player pleased (Heal, Deal Damage, Crowd Control) to eliminate the need for the “Trinity”.

I think they should stick to that and do more to promote that philosophy.

If someone wants to be a dedicated role they still have that choice. They’re just insuring the lack of that dedicated role doesn’t hinder progression for other types.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

“Different” is not necessarily “Better”. “No holy trinity” was supposed to mean that the roles would still be there, but anyone could spec their character for any of the roles. At least, thats how the fanboys explained the system to critics of the decision back in the BWE days to convince them to buy the game. Instead, we got a “Holy Unity” – DPS with useless minor spec choices towards healing/tanking, making PvE encounters mind-numbingly simple pinatas that require zero teamwork (pinatas that are empty, btw) and fanboys who are now yelling “You should have researched the game!”

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

The holy trinity is a stupid idea. Unrealistic and stupid. I’d buy GW2 to as a vote against this sacred cow, even if I didn’t care about the rest of the game.

The tank-healer-DPS pigeonholing makes balance more difficult, leads to poor play by most players — a price GW2 is paying now — and ends up with ridiculous developments like a tank class also being the best DPS class, or a healing class also doing higher DPS than a DPS class. The worst. idea. ever. period.

Posted by: ButtercupSaiyan.9457

ButtercupSaiyan.9457

but I found out very quickly if I did not attack the targets enough, I got no credit for even participating in the fight. It would be nice if you we got points for healing the group as well as hitting the targets.

This. If the game does not support the model that healing benefits you in group situations, it won’t happen, even optionally.

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

I’d argue against it with well thought out reasoning and easy to follow formatting, but as GW2 is just another generic MMO now, why not.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien