Age of GW2 Players

Age of GW2 Players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

Something that I’ve seen pop up several times in recent threads is that players who are 28 and older seem to love this game, while younger players seem to want more and eventually leave the game.

Personally, in my guild we had 4 members who were in their early 20s. They all left to go play other games (WoW, LoL, etc.) Everyone left is 30+, and we can’t get enough of this game.

I’m just interested to know if anyone else has experienced this. If you enjoy this game are you over 30? If you hate this game are you 27 or younger?

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

31 and loving it!

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

This description suits me.

I’m 32 and loving the game.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

29, I enjoy the game just fine despite my concerns for its future.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Klazmaunt.2591

Klazmaunt.2591

17 and like it. Not leaving anytime soon, unless they don’t fix the Ranger, then I might just stop for a while.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I’m 24 and enjoy the game. It has a lot of faults but it’s still young so I’m giving it time. My gf is 21 and enjoys the game as well.

I think, in general, the older people have less time to play and therefore playing 2 hours a day keeps them entertained. The younger people (15/16) have a lot more time for video games and need a game that gives 10+ hours of entertainment a day.

That’s a huge generalization, but I think it holds true.

RIP in peace Robert

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

I would say it counts for me as well. I’m 44 and my wife is 46, and we both love the game. Maybe it’s not for the short-attention span crowd.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

46 and loving it.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: BhornRheady.5738

BhornRheady.5738

45 in body, about 80 in soul, and enjoying every second

I was Bhorn to be wild………
Some must fight so that all may be free.
I’m so good it hurts.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

26, love it. But I feel pretty old. I started playing MMOs at 18, and video games at 10.

:(

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

26 here, loving the game and having a blast.
My only complaint is waypoint fees too high at lvl 80.

Yes, I too believe GW2 is more oriented to a more mature audience, whereas traditional MMO are more oriented to teens due to their child-proof systems (holy trinity ezmode, gear treadmill, etc).

PS: My gf is only 22 but she loves GW2 as well.
She’s a bit too mature for her age tho, so I would count her more as a 24 y/o.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

29 and am enjoying it mostly, but I’m hoping it improves or I doubt I’ll be here very long.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Quilon.3017

Quilon.3017

39 and having fun gaming again.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Well there is at least one reason for this (not the only one of course) but fans of GW, as a whole, who are 30 now would have been 23 when GW1 came out.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: ZachGl.7194

ZachGl.7194

19 Love it. also this game has made me enjoy jumping puzzles.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

in my 30s and like it .

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Well there is at least one reason for this (not the only one of course) but fans of GW, as a whole, who are 30 now would have been 23 when GW1 came out.

Back when I started playing GW1 I was only 19 haha.

You know, I still believe for the standards of 2005 GW1 was the most advanced MMO out there.
Better graphics than most MMO (Lineage 2’s graphics were good too, and that was a 2003 game), better storyline, better PvP…

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

32 and also love the game

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I’m 55 and my wife is…ummmm, well never mind.

Well, we both love this game

Added on: Only played WoW for the 2 week intro. Game was ok, though the graphics were a bit too cartoonish for my tastes. Abhorred the community.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

not necessarily . do to a lot of mechanics being changed some GW1 players could actually be very disappointed it .

Age of GW2 Players

Calavera.1086

I’m 55 and my wife is…ummmm, well never mind.

Well, we both love this game

That’s cool man. I started playing video games back in the 80’s when I was 6 and got an Atari 2600 and never stopped.

I can see my gaming spirit lasting this long. Probably playing in virtual reality machines.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

30, love it.

First game in a decade or more where you can just wander around and find things to get distracted by. Plus the art… woooooo.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Licht.5168

Licht.5168

20 and love it. =]

Xarinn – Warrior L80 – 400AS/400WS
Sanctum of Rall
“Quaggan’s a piwate! Yarr!” – “Pirate”

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

I think probably what the person said about younger people being able to devour content for 10+ hours a day is probably more true for them not liking it than a short attention span.

That being said I’m 25 and can put in 5 or so hours some days if I choose to after work. And I do still enjoy the game. (woo for expendable income and few responsibilities!)

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

30, love it.

First game in a decade or more where you can just wander around and find things to get distracted by. Plus the art… woooooo.

That’s how I play as well, I just go wandering

Our younger players that left were going straight from one heart to the next, completing what seemed like a map per day.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: InsomShade.1453

InsomShade.1453

24 and love it… although I am a bit annoyed with a few things but its nothing a good ironing wont fix

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: flyinpoons.6481

flyinpoons.6481

50 and am hugely disappointed.

Age of GW2 Players

Rhyse.8179

I wonder if it has more to do with WoW etc being more structured, and GW2 having much more free form gameplay? I’m not a cognitive scientist, but I’ve definately noticed changes in the way I look at things in the last 10 years or so.

How many of us 30-ish-ers, used-to-play-WoW (or w/e)-but-hate-it-now-ers discovered wow in our early 20’s and loved it then? I wonder if there’s something there.

Age of GW2 Players

Rhyse.8179

30, love it.

That’s how I play as well, I just go wandering

Our younger players that left were going straight from one heart to the next, completing what seemed like a map per day.

Yes, and then they come here complaining about how there’s no content. Dude, you just ran past it all…

Age of GW2 Players

Calavera.1086

I wonder if it has more to do with WoW etc being more structured, and GW2 having much more free form gameplay? I’m not a cognitive scientist, but I’ve definately noticed changes in the way I look at things in the last 10 years or so.

How many of us 30-ish-ers, used-to-play-WoW (or w/e)-but-hate-it-now-ers discovered wow in our early 20’s and loved it then? I wonder if there’s something there.

I hate WoW now and used to love it but that’s because the game changed so much, not me (I think).

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

27 and loving the game.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

22, I like it but it’s not as good as its predecessor, Guild Wars.

Age of GW2 Players

Rhyse.8179

I hate WoW now and used to love it but that’s because the game changed so much, not me (I think).

True enough. But the (very) basic premise of structured progression remains. Perhaps it’s why we can’t get into any wow-clone type games e(ex: SWTOR) either?

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

49 and loving the game.

I’ve been playing all types of computer games since my Apple 2e days and this one is most definately captivating.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Blueroseknight.7954

Blueroseknight.7954

26; I enjoy some aspects of the game and am really disappointed by others. Nvertheless, it is the best MMO on the market currently since WoW has implemented bouncing panda pokemasters.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: rogueprocess.2614

rogueprocess.2614

36 and I’m in love with the game! Best MMO since vanilla WoW or maybe pre-cu SWG! I’m not comparing them as games, only as a timeline.

Goresnarl / Charr Warrior of Dance Machine / Blackgate US

Age of GW2 Players

Calavera.1086

True enough. But the (very) basic premise of structured progression remains. Perhaps it’s why we can’t get into any wow-clone type games e(ex: SWTOR) either?

It could be. I’ve been trying to find a good MMO to play for years and when I found out about GW2 and all its promises of revolutionary content I was hooked.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

15 and i can say its the best MMO i’ve played so far, i’ve played MMO’s since i was 7 or 8 (yeh very young when i started o.O, and im dutch so it wasnt easy to understand the mmo’s at that age)

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Nyaochan.1756

Nyaochan.1756

Just turned 32 last month, and will not be setting the game down any time soon.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

36 and love it. Can’t wait to see whats in the next content patch (oct 22nd yay)

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

Wow im pretty surprised o.o no people of my age? (15) When i played MMO’s back when i was 9 or 10, 15 was the most common age, well it might be the game i played or the MMO community sticked around and didnt get many newcomers

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Kendu Kuzal.3985

Kendu Kuzal.3985

36 and I’m in love with the game! Best MMO since vanilla WoW or maybe pre-cu SWG! I’m not comparing them as games, only as a timeline.

Pre-cu SWG was the bees knees as they say…

Turning 25 on saturday, been playing MMORPG’s since UO. I love GW2 and mostly because it produces nostalgic feelings that I had when playing SWG-Pre CU and UO.

I honestly believe the difference is the older players understand the nature of MMORPG progression and development. We’ve been around, we’re more patient and we enjoy it for what it is. When I played UO I was undeniably young compared to the majority of the playerbase and I could say the same for SWG. MMORPG’s really used to have a steep learning curve that didn’t lend themselves to young players. WoW changed a lot of that and set a precedent for mainstream MMO’s that I simply cannot stand.. That’s what younger gamers expect now and most people aren’t willing to accept change.

I feel as though the general population isn’t really groomed for playing a real, deep and sandbox style MMO. Most people like to be spoon fed, as you can tell by our societal structure and complacency IRL. I like the GW2 does give us more depth as far as theorycrafting, and they made progression a lot more free-form and not level dependent. Reminds me of the UO days when you could smack skeletons in the Graveyard north of Britain and gain weaponry and combat skills. Had to rely on other players to give you and idea of what to do. Same with SWG, it was all player driven content minus the “story” themeparks. The community was beautiful in that game.

(edited by Kendu Kuzal.3985)

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Katitivity.2386

Katitivity.2386

I’m 25 and I’m loving this game!

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

I’m 40 and liking this game very much.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Mastermind.3169

Mastermind.3169

I’m 37 and want some things in this game to be fixed and/or changed, I enjoy it though.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

24 and love the game.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Kesarai.5084

Kesarai.5084

I’m 48 and love it! My husband is 53, also plays and loves it as well.

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

36 and extremely disappointed.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

28 and loving it !

Age of GW2 Players

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

I’ve mentioned the age gap in opinions before, and it’s definitely true for my guild and many people I am friends with.

I’m 34.

My guild is primarily 30 and above, with a few in their 50’s. We have one 14 year old (still obviously a kid, but a bit more mature for his age) who remained and loves GW2 over other games, all the other under-20’s left. We have a few early to mid 20’s left, but most of them left to games more suited to them.

We also have a bit more female players than many. Two married couples (one wife playing her first MMO ever, another wife who met her husband on an MMO years ago), me (happily single), and 2 or 3 more who haven’t disclosed their marital/partnership status.

My previous game was also a “higher age bracket” game, with my guild a glaring example. Most of us in that guild/game were 30’s and 40’s, with the one 14, couple 20’s, several 50’s, and a low 60’s married couple.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]