All I want are simple pants...where are they?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

IMO anet keeps the variety limited in this “not ovbious” way so they can sell more outfits to the discontent.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Maybe we’ll luck out and one of the designers will see the demand and make us a pair of pants. =)

Actually, they would not have to make them at all….there are plenty in the game, they just need to change the restrictions on them to allow light armor wearers to be able to use them.

They have said before that the reason that they can’t have mixing and matching across armor weights was because the 3 types of armor are “fundamentally incompatible.” From what they’ve said the problem seems to be dye channels that don’t match on the UI an each of the 3 weights have seams in different places. Heavy chests for example have seams at the waist. Medium chests have a seam further down. It’s probably really buggy, or even impossible, to try to get a piece with a seam on the legs to transmute to a place on the wardrobe UI that’s designed for a seam at the waist, and vice versa.

Very good ….but we are discussing pixels here, not real fabric. If, in fact, pixels dyed differently due to the programming behind the development of the image, then they really missed the mark. Reason I say that is because I’ve seen all kinds of similar “fabric” items not take colors alike at all So the next question would be, what general code can be adjusted behind the scenes, globally, to each particular dye lot to “smooth” that out?

I have no problem having my ele wear the medium leather armor look as a skin or even have leather pants matched with a cotton or silk top. So how would that affect the dye? I just don’t buy that argument at all. What I am hearing from that statement is a resounding “no” we don’t want to do that.

Not a matter of can, but a matter of not wanting to.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe we’ll luck out and one of the designers will see the demand and make us a pair of pants. =)

Actually, they would not have to make them at all….there are plenty in the game, they just need to change the restrictions on them to allow light armor wearers to be able to use them.

They have said before that the reason that they can’t have mixing and matching across armor weights was because the 3 types of armor are “fundamentally incompatible.” From what they’ve said the problem seems to be dye channels that don’t match on the UI an each of the 3 weights have seams in different places. Heavy chests for example have seams at the waist. Medium chests have a seam further down. It’s probably really buggy, or even impossible, to try to get a piece with a seam on the legs to transmute to a place on the wardrobe UI that’s designed for a seam at the waist, and vice versa.

Very good ….but we are discussing pixels here, not real fabric. If, in fact, pixels dyed differently due to the programming behind the development of the image, then they really missed the mark. Reason I say that is because I’ve seen all kinds of similar “fabric” items not take colors alike at all So the next question would be, what general code can be adjusted behind the scenes, globally, to each particular dye lot to “smooth” that out?

I have no problem having my ele wear the medium leather armor look as a skin or even have leather pants matched with a cotton or silk top. So how would that affect the dye? I just don’t buy that argument at all. What I am hearing from that statement is a resounding “no” we don’t want to do that.

Not a matter of can, but a matter of not wanting to.

You’re not understanding what I meant what I said about the dyes. It’s not how they take up dyes, but where the dyes channels are located on the different armor weights. Each weight is set up to match the dye channel spots for that weight on the UI. They’re not set up to match all three UI dye channels for all 3 weights. It’s a UI mismatch, not a dye uptake problem.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Honestly, at this point I’d accept a fringe jacket and bellbottoms for light armor, as long as they looked the same on male and female. (Actually, I’d like that for a druid, too.)

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I remember them telling us about all that. Maybe you can answer this question for me:

Could they just take an existing pair of “pants” for the Light Armor Females, duplicate them, and then delete the skirt so that only the tights/pants remained?

Just a flesh wound.3589

I remember them telling us about all that. Maybe you can answer this question for me:

Could they just take an existing pair of “pants” for the Light Armor Females, duplicate them, and then delete the skirt so that only the tights/pants remained?

They can design a pair of light armor pants without skirts. There’s already one ingame, the male version of the light Ascalonian armor. The problem seems to be that they have a certain look they want for the different classes and they don’t seem to be willing to budge on it. Not that they can’t design these looks.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They can design a pair of light armor pants without skirts. There’s already one ingame, the male version of the light Ascalonian armor. The problem seems to be that they have a certain look they want for the different classes and they don’t seem to be willing to budge on it. Not that they can’t design these looks.

That makes no sense given that you can wear outfits that clearly look like a completely different armor weight.

Just a flesh wound.3589

That makes no sense given that you can wear outfits that clearly look like a completely different armor weight.

Yeah, well I can’t figure it out either. There have been posts and threads for 3 years at least asking for more variation in looks. Nothing so far. If there’s a reason why they’re refusing, I’ve never seen it. I’m not expecting this thread to make a particle of difference either. It will go on the pile of other threads asking for more variation and be duly ignored.

ANet may give it to you.

videoboy.4162

Lynspottery,

You may want to consider putting your suggestion into the two Gemstore Suggestion Threads. It’s what Gaile suggested I do. Here are the links:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Requests-Bunny-ears-and-formerly-released-items/page/4#post6021197

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/70#post6021251

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lynspottery,

You may want to consider putting your suggestion into the two Gemstore Suggestion Threads. It’s what Gaile suggested I do. Here are the links:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Requests-Bunny-ears-and-formerly-released-items/page/4#post6021197

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/70#post6021251

Except new armor, which is what she is asking for, isn’t supposed to be a gemstore item. It’s to be earned in game now.

ANet may give it to you.

videoboy.4162

Lynspottery,

Except new armor, which is what she is asking for, isn’t supposed to be a gemstore item. It’s to be earned in game now.

I put it where I was told to put it.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lynspottery,

I put it where I was told to put it.

Source please. Since both threads are about what people want to buy from the gemstore, then I doubt that’s an appropriate place to suggest it. They’ve already made a blog post saying that all armor will be ingame rewards. If they’ve changed this, then I’d like to see the quote.

ANet may give it to you.

videoboy.4162

It was in a PM.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It was in a PM.

Gaile PM’d you and told you to suggest that a request for a change to armor styles be put in a thread for new and returning gemstore items?

/shrug. Ok. That’s unusual. I would have thought she would have posted that note here herself instead of private messaging someone on the forum to suggest it, but this works too.

ANet may give it to you.

lynspottery.6529

I do not feel that simple pants for light gear armor belongs in the gem store. So many other heavy and medium gear is available in the game to earn and, since I am not asking for a full outfit, only the pants, its seems unlikely to be considered seriously for that type of purchase.

If, however, Anet considers a set with separate pieces (emphasis on separate here) with simple pants included, then that would be a different story. I am happy with a lot of the tops and boots I already have, I just want simple plants without frills, lace or other combinations (“butt cape”).

(edited by lynspottery.6529)

videoboy.4162

I didn’t initially feel that it belonged there either, based on the fact that armor isn’t supposed to go into the gemstore any longer. However, if I understood correctly, those two threads are actually being read, hence why I was told to put it in there.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I didn’t initially feel that it belonged there either, based on the fact that armor isn’t supposed to go into the gemstore any longer. However, if I understood correctly, those two threads are actually being read, hence why I was told to put it in there.

Ok. Makes sense I guess. Though you’d think they’d would know about it already from the previous 50000 posts on this subject over the last 3 years.

But I can see it now. The OP posts a wish for new armor styles as ingame rewards in the thread for New and Returning Gemstore Items, and gets an infraction for an off topic post. ^^

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

@ OP

They…sort of have pants. I too never liked the dressy armor for light armor, but I’ve managed to avoid that with armor-y mix and match.

But I assume what you’re asking for are more modern-day like pants?

Attachments:

lynspottery.6529

Here is what I have now. But, I do not like the drape of fabric hanging off the side of her pants. Nor do I like short-shorts no matter what is attached to them.

What I would like is to be able to get that entire look —- minus that drape of fabric and the lace short shorts that are called “pants.” Just plain pants instead.

What I did was to use the Exalted light human light leg armor and dyed it so dark that the “short shorts with tights” were not so noticeable. If they can just give us a plain pair of (waist to ankle) pants without lace or fabric attached to the side or back, I would be very happy.

So the entire ensemble consists of:
Berserker’s Seer Coat of the Scholar
Berserker’s Exalted Gloves of the Scholar
Berserter’s Exalted Pants of the Scholar
Masquerade Boots of the Scholar
…and the Tempest Loop shoulder piece

Attachments:

Just a flesh wound.3589

The pants are in game. It’s just that they’re gender locked. This picture shows them, but you have to imagine it without the top and the thigh high boots. Without the top and the boots, they’re a plain, simple pair of pants for light armor. I put them on my female Charr ele to get a clean, non frilly look on her.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

lynspottery.6529

The pants are in game. It’s just that they’re gender locked. This picture shows them, but you have to imagine it without the top and the thigh high boots. Without the top and the boots, they’re a plain, simple pair of pants for light armor. I put them on my female Charr ele to get a clean, non frilly look on her.

Gender locked….great, which probably means my female human will not be able to even use the skin. I would be happy if I could get any pants skin to put over the current legs I have.

But you said you got them for your charr female? How on earth did you pull that off if they are gender locked?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Gender locked….great, which probably means my female human will not be able to even use the skin. I would be happy if I could get any pants skin to put over the current legs I have.

But you said you got them for your charr female? How on earth did you pull that off if they are gender locked?

Charr and Asura females wear male armor by default. So, my female Charr ele wears male armor, as well as my female Asura guardian. The female version of that pair of pants that Humans, Norns and Sylvari wear has a short skirt and leggings.

ANet may give it to you.

lynspottery.6529

Charr and Asura females wear male armor by default. So, my female Charr ele wears male armor, as well as my female Asura guardian. The female version of that pair of pants that Humans, Norns and Sylvari wear has a short skirt and leggings.

hmmmmm it smells like discrimination to me…. (argh) Not fair at all.

Just a flesh wound.3589

hmmmmm it smells like discrimination to me…. (argh)

If you’re that unhappy about the armor, and I can sympathize because it bugged the living daylights out of me to have skirts and hanging down flaps of cloth on my Charr, maybe you should look into switching your char to male. Those pair of pants are from a dungeon but not too hard to get. It was a great relief to me to find those pants and get rid of all that annoying extra cloth.

Truthfully, even if they read this thread and decide to to make the pants, the likelihood is it would be months before its in game, and that’s at the earliest.

ANet may give it to you.

lynspottery.6529

But I do not want to change my human female to a charr male (which I do not even think is possible). I am not interested in doing that.

And your comment about them making pants is fairly accurate since its been in the forum discussions ever since Beta.

I am still voicing my opinion and hoping they see this feedback. I do not think change comes unless folks ask for it and convince them that it would be something the entire community would be very happy about.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

hmmmmm it smells like discrimination to me…. (argh) Not fair at all.

Is it really discrimination, or just an oversight in a lack of choices? On the flipside, you hear medium armor wearers complaining about the lack of anything outside of overcoats. That’s why there’s so many simple pants for medium armor, and why female mediums wear pants more often than skirts. the overcoat takes the cake in most of the designs.

I have to say, compared to other games, GW2 is doing a pretty darn good job on the feminine equality. They’re not discriminating and forcing every single female caster to wear awful revealing outfits. A lot of the outfits look very combat-worthy.

For the Asura and charr, there were different reasons why they made it all male-based. (I think one argument somewhere, was that Asura looked too much like children so it would be a little too weird to give them the generic female style. Or something.)

Just a flesh wound.3589

But I do not want to change my human female to a charr male (which I do not even think is possible). I am not interested in doing that.

And your comment about them making pants is fairly accurate since its been in the forum discussions ever since Beta.

I am still voicing my opinion and hoping they see this feedback. I do not think change comes unless folks ask for it and convince them that it would be something the entire community would be very happy about.

Not to Charr, male or female. To human male, assuming you have a human female. That only requires a total makeover kit.

ANet may give it to you.

lynspottery.6529

I have tried playing a male character in many of the games I have been involved with, and every single time, I never made it past the first 30 minutes before I deleted said character and re-rolled a female.

I am not exactly comfortable playing a male character, so I will probably not do that. Although I have to laugh at myself for saying that…its just at my age, trying to play a male character feels so …out-of-character…. if you know what I mean. :=}

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

I only play female characters as well and because of the terrible light armor choices for norn, sylvari and humans, all my future light armor characters will be either asura or charr. Finding acceptable armor for my muscular norn mesmer was hard – frankly, she still looks a bit ridiculous.

RoF

lynspottery.6529

My other two light armor characters are Sylvari. I don’t mind the light armor for them because I use only the Snapdragon skins over all their different armor. Fits because they are plants after all and leaves suit them. And this look does not reflect the ridiculous choices only the human female light armor have.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

At first I thought this was about guild hall decorations because I misread the title as “simple plants”. LOL

Yeah, some real world fashion would be nice in the game.

I vote: bell bottoms and capris styled pants. \o/

There’s something charming about rangers.

videoboy.4162

Lynspottery,

Gaile was in map chat last night and I was able to speak to her briefly. I thought you would be interested to know that she passed along the idea of generic pants for light females to the devs. She asked me for clarification on whether people wanted armor or Outfits and I specified that MY preference was a single pair of generic pants and not a whole armor set, which she passed along.

Obviously, there’s no guarantee that we will be given these pants, but I thought you’d like to know that someone at Anet was listening and made sure the request was heard.

lynspottery.6529

Lynspottery,

Gaile was in map chat last night and I was able to speak to her briefly. I thought you would be interested to know that she passed along the idea of generic pants for light females to the devs. She asked me for clarification on whether people wanted armor or Outfits and I specified that MY preference was a single pair of generic pants and not a whole armor set, which she passed along.

Obviously, there’s no guarantee that we will be given these pants, but I thought you’d like to know that someone at Anet was listening and made sure the request was heard.

Thank you so very much…I would be very happy for just generic pants that I could couple with any top, boots, etc., already in game.

Thanks for this information.

videoboy.4162

You’re quite welcome