All we are missing.

All we are missing.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

OP, gear progression (vertical progression) was actually officially added to the game in November 2012. I think we saw about a 10% increase in power the first year which was subsequently taken away with a nerf to precision if I recall correctly. But, due to it’s unpopularity (what were they thinking?) we really haven’t seen that much of it.

GW2 was different in many ways and besides the foray into VP I believe they’ve been able to maintain the distinctiveness. To me, mounts, properly implemented (a very big if given Anet), will be a net plus. They score pretty high with me on the QoL and FUN scale.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I truly hope you are right. But somehow I doubt swiftness will keep being used in the open world if mounts have that speed boon.

The overreliance on swiftness / runspeed wasn’t healthy either, though. It was factually a given for everyone already, so it makes sense to just make it, well, available to everyone.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I truly hope you are right. But somehow I doubt swiftness will keep being used in the open world if mounts have that speed boon.

The overreliance on swiftness / runspeed wasn’t healthy either, though. It was factually a given for everyone already, so it makes sense to just make it, well, available to everyone.

I don’t agree. IMO it is a choice: convenient superior combat or convenient superior exploration. The best combat builds for most professions don’t include perma-swiftness, AFAIK.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

All we are missing.

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

This game has drifted very very very far away from the epicness of the original GW, where the pvp was alive and balance, faction battles were fun, stuff was working as intended and bugs were getting fixed.

Now we have a core game that is neglected, broken pvp, broken WvW, abandoned dungeons, gated raids where you gotta play the meta of GTFO. Anet still throws wip cream on top of it to hide the bad taste.

This game is not aging well and its a shame. Mounts, new elites spec and art wont change that.

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

All we are missing.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Oh, how I love these forums. Literally everything gets shot down far before it’s even patched into the game, and every single release gets more negative feedback than positive. In the middle of this deep, toxic cesspool I must wonder: why do these people who seem to dislike everything Anet pushes out even bother playing the game?

The mounts will be implemented, like it or not. Complaining about it won’t make them go away, so why complain?

Quote from my signature:
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

It’s the same question I ask myself, Hev. Some people are so negative about the game, they feel the need to complain and dissuade others from their enjoyment, because somewhere, deep down, the love they had was twisted into a venomous hatred.
It’s sad, really.

Sometimes yes but not always. Some people feel impassioned about things and want to share what they dislike to hope that input might be considered for future decisions. Example, Civilization V came out. To me there were so many things removed in the game compared to Civ IV. Posted on the forums there to state that would like to see features returned in future games and received a lot of you don’t like it too bad don’t play it go away. Main reason to post though was to provide feedback saying hey, you might think about this. Now here we get to Civ 6 and some of those features that were removed from IV to V are back in 6. So some back and fourth is valid. That said, don’t support either side if the answer is my way or the highway. There will never be a perfect game, but doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and get there. There are features here I would love to see in ESO, and features in ESO I would like to see here. Probably peeps that play WoW could say the same. So keep constructive feedback coming and game on.

Oh and is it 9/22 yet?

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

All we are missing.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I am looking forward to the mounts, and hope they add more into the game…

Back when I played WoW, I was a mount-a-holic with 214 of them:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/korialstrasz/kurfu/collections/mounts

I didn’t see a time-lost proto-drake in there so you’ve got a bit more collecting to do.
Seriously though, nice collection. It was great fun getting that swift white hawkstrider from magister’s terrace, eh?

My old GM had the TLPD… got it totally by accident, the kitten. lol

I think I actually got the hawkstrider more than once… But I was solo’ing the dungeon, so I couldn’t give it to anyone else. No greater pain than deleting a mount.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So keep constructive feedback coming and game on.

Most relevant part of the whole statement.

It’s fine to make recommendations or outline specific failings. What we’re getting is simply a lot more rage and whining, which isn’t productive, no matter how passionate. And sticking around a gaming forum just to hate on it is a waste of time for everyone: poster, forum, and readers.

Oh and is it 9/22 yet?

Okay, so maybe this is the most important part. Just waiting for payday to get my pre-order~

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

All we are missing.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

This game has drifted very very very far away from the epicness of the original GW, where the pvp was alive and balance, faction battles were fun, stuff was working as intended and bugs were getting fixed.

I hate to rain on the parade, but other than the PvP I don’t remember any of that. Sorry.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Well I see we have taken one step closer to being just another run of the mill generic MMO with the addition of mounts. So next xpac we will end up with gear progression. I mean we’ve had everything else added now that every other MMO under the sun has. Why stop now?.

Oh, so you bought into that?

Marketing guy: Tired of the old and tired carrot and stick formula? we are making a completely different MMO. It will not have mounts, or capes, or raids, or decent dungeons like those other successful mmos. No, this one… will NOT have raids, will NOT have mounts, will NOT have decent dungeons… See? there’s no carrot and stick, if there’s no carrot, and no stick!

Except, they forgot to add something to replace all that missing content with. Especially, challenging one, like raids and good dungeons.

So players started requesting the things they missed from other mmos, not necessarily because they needed them, but because they felt the game was lacking and they resorted to comparing to what they already knew.

So gw2 added more gear to grind, new dungeons that at first felt like developers trolling players, raids and now, yes, mounts. Out of all these things, i only tried the dungeons, i reluctantly equipped one or two characters with ascended, and i tried to pug the raids on launch but i didn’t have much time to play during those days.

Now, the mounts, unless they make it some superexpensive stuff, look like new fun ways to explore maps, new things to collect… if this is getting closer to other mmos, i think it’s closer in a good way. GW2 still does a lot of things better than most mmos. And still suffers in other areas. Let them keep improving.

But, a game can never be better for what it doesn’t offer. It can only be better if the content if offers is good.

All we are missing.

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Well I see we have taken one step closer to being just another run of the mill generic MMO with the addition of mounts. So next xpac we will end up with gear progression. I mean we’ve had everything else added now that every other MMO under the sun has. Why stop now?.

Oh, so you bought into that?

Marketing guy: Tired of the old and tired carrot and stick formula? we are making a completely different MMO. It will not have mounts, or capes, or raids, or decent dungeons like those other successful mmos. No, this one… will NOT have raids, will NOT have mounts, will NOT have decent dungeons… See? there’s no carrot and stick, if there’s no carrot, and no stick!

Except, they forgot to add something to replace all that missing content with. Especially, challenging one, like raids and good dungeons.

So players started requesting the things they missed from other mmos, not necessarily because they needed them, but because they felt the game was lacking and they resorted to comparing to what they already knew.

So gw2 added more gear to grind, new dungeons that at first felt like developers trolling players, raids and now, yes, mounts. Out of all these things, i only tried the dungeons, i reluctantly equipped one or two characters with ascended, and i tried to pug the raids on launch but i didn’t have much time to play during those days.

Now, the mounts, unless they make it some superexpensive stuff, look like new fun ways to explore maps, new things to collect… if this is getting closer to other mmos, i think it’s closer in a good way. GW2 still does a lot of things better than most mmos. And still suffers in other areas. Let them keep improving.

But, a game can never be better for what it doesn’t offer. It can only be better if the content if offers is good.

First of all, you are in the beginning sounding like a person who are not talking about buying a game, but some sort of lifestyle. Which is fine, I do not play that much anymore exactly because the fun things that used to not require time to actually play, now does. But believing that “it is fine” to get a product just because it is the “business” way of doing things seems rather unhealthy…..I get your premise, It is basically like Putin´s ideology “everyone else is doing it from time to time…..so why not us” And you should really look into what these successful companies like Blizzard are doing….Since you do sound like the normal (5 year old comment) of them putting a rabbit you can kill 100000 times to get some random new gear…….Not to get in deep about it, but they do provide massive amount of content for each expansion based on other games like Gw2

On your second half, you do have some legit concerns. Even though the game was amazingly good based on exploration and a world that felt alive somewhat like the first multiplayer game affection in an mmo (this was 2012, so we do ofc have other standards now). It was still not enough to keep going, so the devs progressed by creating a tread mill for people to do with content that required a lot of time in the game and a lot of pre-planned time………Which is 1 solution I guess.

I get that there simply isnt enough resources to keep going with living world stories each 2 weeks like they used to, and people also burn through them to fast anyways……..But idk, would have been great if another alternative have been used, instead of going for the carrot line logic, even though I am not happy about the current decision only based on the visions A-Net had for mmorpgs as a whole, I do get it. It might be the only way mmorpgs survive in this day and age….-

All we are missing.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I never saw the absence of mounts as a “feature” that sold the game to me. I can’t see why not having them is that great. Complaints about “visual clutter” or losing “immersion” don’t hold much water in a game where you can’t even locate the mobs under a flurry of particle effects.

At least mounts in this game serve a game-play purpose other than being just a way of getting around (slightly) faster. They have unique skills that add something both to combat and to exploration. That’s one way GW2 is avoiding becoming just another “generic” MMO, another is by avoiding wiping the slate clean at the start of the expansion with raising level caps and introducing gear progression and despite the “thin end of the wedge” doom and gloom from the OP I don’t see that changing.

I’m looking forward to these mounts. They look good (well, the bunnaroo is very silly) and they’ll add a lot to the game.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Too late, too little

What we really need, is a Dragon for riding, so we can burn down every structure, building, boil the sea and tear mountains apart with a single breath.

That will teach these casuals and F2Ps a lesson

Yea, stupid free-to-play, casual Lannister army.

All we are missing.

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

I read a comment on reddit that mounts are disabled in (most?) cities, so I don’t think we’re in danger of mounts cluttering the hubs…

As well as being disabled in jumping puzzles (just like Gliders). I think this will be a fun addition to help us move about the world of Tyria just a bit faster.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I read a comment on reddit that mounts are disabled in (most?) cities, so I don’t think we’re in danger of mounts cluttering the hubs…

As well as being disabled in jumping puzzles (just like Gliders). I think this will be a fun addition to help us move about the world of Tyria just a bit faster.

Jumping puzzles from HoT onwards have generally been designed to make use of Gliding. I think it is likely that we will see Jumping Puzzles designed with mounts in mind for PoF, and perhaps only see them disabled in Core & HoT.

…as much as I’d like to use my mutant bunny mount to avoid all the pop-up rocks in the Skipping Stones puzzle….

All we are missing.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

One thing we will no longer be missing is the hatred, spite and vitrol that thrives in PvP and WvW when those players bring their mounts into core Tyria and start affecting PvE players.
When that starts and the first player gets stomped or teabagged, players wont just leave, whole guilds will.

They better figure this out fast. The question isn’t if mounts are better, it’s if the game can survive them.

Yes the Mounts thread is huge. Mostly because the same players kept starting new threads when their requests were met with strong disagreement from so many that gave good reason why they did not want them, and all that got merged. The net result was some wanted them for fun and others thought they would ruin the game. Looks like we will find out.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

PvP players stomping PvE players in Core Tyria??? I heard nothing about Open World PvP.

All we are missing.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

It will be fun, if some Raptor tramples you into ground.

Attachments:

All we are missing.

Rauderi.8706

One thing we will no longer be missing is the hatred, spite and vitrol that thrives in PvP and WvW when those players bring their mounts into core Tyria and start affecting PvE players.

Out of all the mount discussions, I was always against generic perma-speed boosts or mounts for WvW. That is where movement speed matters, not just for convenience, but tactically, and that becomes a legitimate build decision.
I hope this rumor about WvW mounts isn’t true, or that it’s a border map feature specifically designed for it.

Many alts; handle it!

All we are missing.

Rauderi.8706

Out of all the mount discussions, I was always against generic perma-speed boosts or mounts for WvW. That is where movement speed matters, not just for convenience, but tactically, and that becomes a legitimate build decision.
I hope this rumor about WvW mounts isn’t true, or that it’s a border map feature specifically designed for it.

Many alts; handle it!