Alt leveling

Alt leveling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

OMG I want to slap a baby over and over rather then level another alt… Lol if anyone out there does this for fun then what are you doing to level.. Me and my friends just cannot do it.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It’s an individual motivation thing. I’m like you, really struggled to get a 2nd/3rd lvlled. I think it because I need that “first time new” feeling to get through. Others can bypass that and just treat it like an objective thing and just whizz thorugh. Our guild leader has lvlled every profession..deleted and re-levelled them in the space of a year. I presume insanity is the cause…

Alt leveling

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Most of us have the free 20 level scroll, so that’s a start. After that, daily achievements and personal story, with a bit of crafting thrown in. Crafting jewelry and cooking to 325 is still fairly cheap.

It takes about 3 weeks to level an alt that way.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

I really do not understand this mentality. So you only play one character, one class and one race, I suppose it is a Norn warrior Zerker for dungeoneering?
If it is, you are not playing the game and enjoying the game as designed. Find a new game, something that you only do one thing. Why would you want to enjoy the plethora of things to do in this game?
I have leveled every class and race in this game with 8 characters. It was fun doing all of them.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s different reasons for different people. Personally I make alts specifically to go through different versions of the personal story. I’ve got 5 permanent characters, one of each race, and every so often I make others to do the other stories.

So for me it’s fairly easy because it’s the levelling (part of it anyway) that I actually want to do. Plus I don’t mind going back over the same maps, there’s often stuff I didn’t see the first time around, or different ways of doing it.

I do sometimes use the level 20 scrolls and tomes of knowledge, but that’s partially because I can’t sell them or even give them away and they’re no use for my permanent characters so otherwise they’d just sit in my bank.

But also every profession plays differently so that helps a lot. When I’m making a new character I’ll make them either a profession I don’t have or do something to make them play differently like using different weapons and that makes it a lot more interesting.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Alt leveling

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

It only got harder for me after I I levelled all the melee/martial professions. All of my 80’s were a blast to level, each one took a different path. I’m still stuck with three wizards in the low-mid levels. No matter how hard I try I just can’t get into magic users. I think mesmers are awesome, but I just can’t stand all the purple butterflies.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Ya I have 8 80s too of all professions/races and have had them all maxed and geared for about a year or so now. Leveling was tougher back then and gold didn’t rain from the sky either. It was still a breeze though and quite fun/worthwhile. There are quite a few benefits to having access to all professions maxed and I assume the countless benefits are obvious for the most part. The point is though, leveling is now easier than ever with leveling consumables (tomes, scrolls, etc), boosters, guild buffs, event/champ farms, dungeon running, crafting, WvWing, etc, etc….so many possibilities I can’t even fathom anyone having a problem leveling to 80. With all the options available, leveling a char from creation can be done in as little as about 3-5 mins to maybe a week or two tops. Leveling your first char CAN take a bit longer as you get accustomed to the game and explore maps and game modes etc, but after your first 80, there really is no reason for it to be any kind of a grueling experience

Alt leveling

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I just leveled my 3rd character a ranger, and yea even with the level 20 scroll, half a dozen exp boosters and crafting chef to 400 and armorsmith to 300 it was really annoying, and that exp nerf from crafting wasn’t very pleasant at all.

I wish the level 20 scrolls just added 20 levels.

But gearing at 80 is probably the worst part as it can take a bite out of the bank, and that’s not even the worst part— all dem ascended trinkets! Buying exotic jewelry seems so lame since you know they’ll be obsolete quite quickly.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Queensdale Champ train all the way to 80. You’ll get lots of mats to help you with the Ascended grind on the way up there (alternatively salvage all the low level gear for luck).

Alt leveling

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

OMG I want to slap a baby over and over rather then level another alt… Lol if anyone out there does this for fun then what are you doing to level.. Me and my friends just cannot do it.

I only level through open world pve. I like it.

I don’t fancy slapping a baby over and over, though.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Alt leveling

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I also level through open world PvE- I am leveling my 6th character now- well I have another one sitting at level 42 but she is an Ele and I just get fed up with her after playing for 30 min.

What I do is pick a map that I like and just roam through it gathering everything in sight unlocking everything, running any DE’s that look interesting, climbing some stuff and poking my head in some holes that look promising- mopping up the hearts that are left over after that.

It goes very quickly and I always have fun seeing what I can do and not do on a character- I have had some really epic, unexpected battles and also met quite a few nice people like that

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Alt leveling

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

I just buy 80s. It’s really the only way I could have more than two, and it’s a lot more time efficient. 2 hours of actual labor (and the boredom of crafting)… or 60 hours of straight boredom, or whatever it takes to me to map complete to 80.

Can’t complain. First game I’ve played where it’s really an option, and I like that.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I just do open world PvE content. The levels come without even thinking about it. I go to the current map I’m mapping, do Hearts/skill points/POIs/Vistas, complete any events I come across, harvest every single node etc.

I have 5 level 80 characters now, and they all reached level 80 in the 15 – 25 level maps. If anything, I thought levelling was TOO fast!

Alt leveling

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I also level through open world PvE- I am leveling my 6th character now- well I have another one sitting at level 42 but she is an Ele and I just get fed up with her after playing for 30 min.

What I do is pick a map that I like and just roam through it gathering everything in sight unlocking everything, running any DE’s that look interesting, climbing some stuff and poking my head in some holes that look promising- mopping up the hearts that are left over after that.

It goes very quickly and I always have fun seeing what I can do and not do on a character- I have had some really epic, unexpected battles and also met quite a few nice people like that

Yep, all that. I’m constantly running into areas and wondering if I’ve ever seen them before or if they’ve changed something. Its why I play these games.

And like Zaxares I find it can be too fast. I have to level a few up concurrently just to think I’m slowing them down. One of my guildies thinks that would still be too fast!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Alt leveling

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I am fickle, so I like constantly creating new characters because I get bored and need a change. Plus, I love character creation! But generally, I often get bored around level 40 – the slog from there to 80 really does drag for me, so I’ll craft my way from there if I want. Usually, I just end up deleting and re-rolling for something new. I’ve only taken a few chars all the way to 80 – but actually that still left me with a lot to explore as you hit 80 way before you’ve completed world exploration. I don’t tend to play much with a char once it hits 80 and I’ve geared it up (I don’t do dungeons or fractals, so aside from LS elements I’m interested in, I don’t usually play them much), so now each new char takes a different section of a map to complete so it stays interesting.

But mostly, yeah, I’m just fickle. I bore easily of one char, so I make more!

Alt leveling

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I have 9 cha, 8 of them are lv80 with every class, mostly decent geared (mostly exotic and mixed a little rare, no intention on ascended gear tho). Whenever i create a new cha, i will preset a personality of him/her, then play the game normal, with different class and race, different choices, and even different “play style”. For example, a ruthless cha will hit first, talk later, and will favor all options that start a fight while a cooled head cha will usually favor options that less violence.

I am still planning to play more cha tho.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Rage.9723

Rage.9723

I have two level 80s and I have the same problem with my third character which is a guardian. Experience scrolls are nice, but still 60 long levels await. The champ trains take a while to level and you get much worse loot than on a level 80. I feel like I am losing valuable gold making time when leveling up by not getting exotic boxes.

I got to about level 26 on this third character and do not feel like going on. The crafting nerf on leveling up is very irritating. I already have 100% map completion and do not feel like completing maps anymore.

I am kind of leveling the character just when I need dailies or something. A problem is I have about 100 laurels and over 2 million karma so I do not need to do dailies.

With the winter break over I will have even less time to level the character and will probably only have enough time for the living world meta.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I’ve resorted to Team Arena. Killing people and gaining experience? O_O
It isn’t really fast though. Yesterday farmed 4k glory in a few hours (that’s 2 levels a half if you buy tomes of knowledge). Each team arena match gives 300-800 glory depending on win/loss, personal score, top stats, glory booster.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Alt leveling

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Last alt I levelled was a necromancer. I levelled him almost solely in WvW. Having levelled others in PvE, I wanted to know how long it would take. I did the /age command when he turned 80 and he was only 74 hours old. Pretty sure this is going to be the way I level my next character as well now. It was fast levelling, but also felt fast.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

It’s hard. Got my new mesmer up to 41 now. 20 level scroll plus 11 tomes. The issue is I’m just dying to finally get to the point where he has his endgame armor so I can slap some runes of speed in there and really start having fun. And I thought leveling guardian was bad! Mesmer is the worst for snailing around. His in combat running speed makes me want to – yes, indeed – slap a hundred babies.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Hweng.9475

Hweng.9475

I leveled all my alts on the Harathi event chain: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Seraph_Assault_on_Centaur_Camps

You need 2 guest slots available to guest to a vHigh pop PvE server if you are currently in one of them then it’s good. Just complete this event, guest to another server see if it is going on, participate, rinse, repeat.
Also, switching to alts at endboss in dungeons if your party is okay with it works too.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I typically just play an alt for the first 20-30 minutes each day for the extra XP from knocking out the dailies. Once the 5/5 Daily is done I swap on to an 80 if I’m intent on some endgame gameplay that day.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Step 1) make an alt and lvl normally throught first map
step 2) complete other races starting maps, you should be like lvl 40 now
step 3) complete all second maps for every race=lvl 60
step 4) go to wvw and join karma train

The first map is boring. It take a while, but you can do it in like 2-3 hours.
Then it gets easier and faster as you will ge always downscaled. Try it sometimes as lvl 40 to go to starter map, you will complete it in like 1 hour or so. Just run from heart to heart, do any event that is active.
First map will give you like 15lvl, other starter maps just like 10lvls. So you can actually go to 50lvl in 2 days.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

only ranger was difficult for me to level and its the only one I did any crafting with.

I love alt leveling actually, I just hate hearts so I never do them. just do one or two levels a day and it is what it is if not dont do it at all, or be smart and farm up enough g when you can crafting each everything to 400 over and over tunl you are lvl 80

Alt leveling

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I know how you feel, Curby. Repeating the same content can be boring. But there are ways to make it more interesting, as many have already pointed out.

To start with I levelled up my main (thief) and got world complete, fully geared in exotics, etc.. By this time I have enough money to level up 2 other characters via crafting. I then took them both out (alternating) to clear maps and do the occasional personal story content. I now have 4 level 80, all decked out in exotics, and all sitting on 60-80% world complete, with lots of story stuff to do for each.

I tend to alternate between open world map clearing and events, personal story and WvW. I occasionally through in a dungeon or fractal if I can get enough people together too.

The best tip I can give you is to forget about levelling. Take your focus off it and put it onto something else. Just run events and dungeons and clear maps when in the area. If you forget you are trying to level your toon you will have a bit more fun with it.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Queensdale Champ train all the way to 80. You’ll get lots of mats to help you with the Ascended grind on the way up there (alternatively salvage all the low level gear for luck).

I do this for my alts too. It’s easy and pretty painless. My main I took through the maps, but I just want my alts up to 80 fast and with a minimal of effort. After they hit 80 I take them where I want. It’s like primary school.

I have a custom chatlog set, called “Queensdale” with all the chats turned off so I don’t have to hear them whining when they get annoying ;D

Alt leveling

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Don’t level the alt. There’s really no reason to level another character unless you have a lot of gold just burning a hole in your pocket.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Alt leveling

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I like slapping babies.

Plus, I am working on my 10th character (a ranger) and have played for over 460 days… but I am still finding things I never knew about before. It still feels pretty fresh to me.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

I have leveled 8 toons to 80 and have 2, an engineer and a Mesmer, that are getting close. My primary characters are an Asuran necro and a Sylvari Ranger but I’ve leveled a thief, 2 warriors, 2 guardians, and an elementalist. I don’t play these types but there’s nothing like knowing how the other guy/girl is doing it when fighting in WvW. I cannot stand confusion and am building the Mesmer to learn how to spot and target the real one amongst illusions and just exactly what they did when they spanked my kitten with condi effects.

If I understand the mechanics of all the professions and races, I have a real advantage in knowing what I am up against when the zergs collide or when I am roaming with my primaries and I come up against one type or another. If you just want to run the zerg and blow kittens up, build the zerker and don’t look back. But you will get schooled one on one with a condi necro who could care less that you have 29K HP and heavy exotic armor on, they’re just gonna melt you in it.

To answer what you’re asking, I find that map completion, especially in profitable areas (tier 3-5 mat zones) both provide a ton of experience but also, provided you grind the harvesting, good source material for crafting. Crafting shouldn’t be done early, wait until level 30 or better. The gains seem to be greater plus you have time to collect low level mats. Leather smith and jeweler are quick starters.

Another way to look at alts is as bank slots. Load them up with overflow from your bank to avoid buy other tabs in the bank. A lot cheaper to throw 5 15 slot bags on an alt than it is to spend 800 gems on a bank tab expansion.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I hate leveling even for my first character. I’m so ruined by GW1.

Alt leveling

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I just do map completion. I think I got all 8 character to 100% map completion before I quit this game.

The fastest way is obviously crafting. But if you intend to finish your map completion, you might as well do it the same time you are lvling.

Alt leveling

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I just do map completion. I think I got all 8 character to 100% map completion before I quit this game.

The fastest way is obviously crafting. But if you intend to finish your map completion, you might as well do it the same time you are lvling.

Yeah, the problem with crafting to 80 is that firstly it’s pretty boring, and secondly, you’re at 80 but haven’t opened up any of the maps. So when you want to go and do something in, say, Gendarran Fields, it takes an age to get there, which is again, boring.

Alt leveling

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

I have capped four characters (which really is not much)and quite enjoyed it but only on my fifth character have I slowed down to a snail pace.

Here are my top tips on leveling alts with fun (if you are not an altoholic):

1. Instead of trying to do everything such as full exploration, every zone, quest or event, dungeons, fractals and WvWvW with a character spread activity between the characters. Over time there is repetition of pve zones all the same.
  2. Have one character of each race and a different profession so different skill sets. Try to have various types of roles for each such as ranged combat, melee dodge, melee tank, pet builds, support build, aoe or single focus combat.
  3. Use Living Story and festival events where possible to level characters so they get more variety.
  4. Use crafting to help you level with different disciplines for each toon
  5. Imagine you are actually building a legendary party with each of your characters giving them each a personality and role
I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

(edited by joneb.5679)

Alt leveling

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

fastest way is probably by alt switching at end of dungeons. i dunno if that still works, but that was one way i lvled my ele to 80, besides exploration and hearts when i could. If u can run ur alt to fireheart, u can run through cof p1 on ur 80 and switch out when the endboss is almost dead. u get 75% exp this way, more at lower lvls. its fast, so u can get 3lvls per day in under an hour. but again ull need to do hearts/exploration when u can, as its not much faster than doing it the normal way. Its only at higher levels (60+) that u start to notice a difference. though u would need a lv80 if u plan to lvl an alt this way.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Alt leveling

Posted by: WRay.2391

WRay.2391

Well, I have 8 80s all with 100% world completion + 2 80s with world completion was deleted.
Leveling alts is fun for me. If it’s a different class your perception of the game changes. Different tactics, different builds.
As already suggested I’m doing all 1-15 zones first, 10-25 next and so on. By time you finished all 80s maps you already 80 for sure plus most gear is exotics. It’s a pain to solo all the lvl 80 maps, but also a good challenge (soloing skill point at the Balthazar temple is a pain if you are not a thief, I needed help for this one on some classes. After release it was easy). After you completed map first time you already know the path and it’s much faster for next alt.
I don’t recommend to level several alts in a row though. If you have a good memory of a map content it becomes boring. Switch to other activities for a while.

Alt leveling

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Leveling characters is the part of the game I like most. Yeah, I’m sure that puts me in a minority – and it eat my gold, but I do like the journey until the Temple of The Forgotten God.

SBI

Alt leveling

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I just use wvw to level any more. At least until they open up some new lands. Seasonal events are just not my thing. I’ve got 10 alts, so there is very little (if any) overland stuff I haven’t done…even if the most map completion per toon I have is only 65%….did the rest on alts,lol.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Alt leveling

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

With zergs and champ farming it is a little easier, if not monotonous, to level an alt, along with crafting (though that is not for everyone). I have four level 80 characters, and two of them got a big boost from Queen’s Pavilion.
Part of the boredom of leveling alts is that if you spent your time getting World Completion on your first character, it doesn’t matter what race you choose, nothing is new anymore.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Alt leveling

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

1. Pandora station “Bill Hicks” or “Kyle Kinane” (whatever comedian you enjoy)
2. USE ALL 5 STARTING ZONES! Do not push forward, go to LA and go to another races starting zone. You should be level 35+ by the time you’ve explored each starting zone.
3. Supplement your levels with occasional story missions.
4. Craft after level 40 and make sure you’re using DISCOVERY tab. (if you don’t know how use a guide)
5. Run Waypoints, POI’s, Vistas and skip hearts. You can actually level quite well just uncovering the map and running wp’s. Do hearts though by all means if you can do so.
6. Spvp glory can now purchase levels. (if you have 50k or 100k glory floating around you just finished this alt)

Alt leveling

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

TBH Anet hates people with alts. I should have just stuck to one character since the developers don’t want anyone playing multiple characters, or so it seems by their actions.

Alt leveling

Posted by: WRay.2391

WRay.2391

TBH Anet hates people with alts. I should have just stuck to one character since the developers don’t want anyone playing multiple characters, or so it seems by their actions.

True that. If I new that game is going toward the current state I would never buy a character expansion slot.

Alt leveling

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

I level my necro from 2 to 80 in wvw, now i level thief (lv72 now). It only takes 1-2 weeks so no big deal. Ofc no pve, i done 100% map on my ranger and i have enough