Am I missing the point of " junk trophies"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fourhim.3584

fourhim.3584

Personally, I think it is time for them to go.

It seems that these trophies exist solely to polute the loot tables, and to force me to buy larger backpacks and/or clear out my inventory more often.

I’m talking about things like lockpicks which sell for, what, 3 copper each? I can’t salvage them. So I have 2 choices: 1) Either make them up a space in my inventory until I can sell them. Except especially for newer players each space in your bags is prime real estate. This wouldn’t be so bad except there are so many DIFFERENT trophies out there, meaning each type takes up its own space. What is the point of so many different types? 2) I could turn auto-loot off and just leave them behind (and this is what I do now), but this seems to make auto-loot pointless, and it certainly takes longer, especially when there’s a pile of corpses around after an event.

And it seems that the latest update has made this problem WORSE because of personal story rewards (unless I am missing something). Yeah, its really cool that at the end of each story segment I get these loot bags. And what is INSIDE each loot bag? A trophy! (and there was much rejoicing…) Add to this the fact that NONE of these enemies drop loot anymore, and it seems that I’m getting seriously ripped off in the story quests. I did a level 50 one last night that ended with a Champion. Even he didn’t drop a loot bag. Are story quests working as intended? Why would I kill 100 Risen to get no loot when I can go to Orr and get a ton more stuff?

Lastly, I THINK that this last update made some special trophies for collections. OK. Neat. Whatever. It still doesn’t make me feel better about the larger “trophy” problem. At least start calling it what it is – junk (which is IS called when you sell it).

But I am open to the possibility that there might be a greater purpose to this stuff. I’d just so much rather there be NOTHING on the corpse (for auto-loot purposes). Sorry to ramble. Thanks for reading.

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

It seems that these trophies exist solely to polute the loot tables, and to force me to buy larger backpacks and/or clear out my inventory more often.

More useless cr@p than you can carry?
Welcome to the wonderful world of MMOs

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

There is no greater purpose. I hope you don’t keep the junk items. There is no other use than selling them at the merchant. Immediately. No need to keep them. There is absolutely no benefit in keeping them.

Even the game call them junk items. See the wiki for an explanation why they exist: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Junk_item#Trivia

With the feature pack you have a collection of junk to fill, giving you a junk title, but since this collection is filled automatically, you sell the items just the same.

Edit: but they seem important. Some of them even got updated icons with the feature pack!

(edited by Silmar Alech.4305)

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Visit vendor, select “sell junk.” Junk gone!

Yes, they exist to pollute the loot table. Sometimes we don’t have time to steal the boots or dagger off of a bandit, so all we get are broken lockpicks.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The game already calls them junk items, too. I think anyway. Or what does the vendor dialog say when you sell them?

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

The game already calls them junk items, too. I think anyway. Or what does the vendor dialog say when you sell them?

It says nothing. When you select sell junk, it sells them all in one click.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Afaik the itemdescription says: “trophy”. Well when they now try to make everything easier for beginners I think this would be a good start. I remember that I was pretty confused about all those “trophies” I gained at the beginning which turned out to be junk.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: fourhim.3584

fourhim.3584

But didn’t we used to get look from corpses in Story quests? Is this a glitch or is this working as intended?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But didn’t we used to get look from corpses in Story quests? Is this a glitch or is this working as intended?

WaI. The player gets ‘loot’ in the form of rewards at the end of the PS episode, instead.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

looting corpses was too complicated for new players.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It gave junk a tiny bit of purpose besides being 1-2c fodder.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

In GW1, the junks you generally try keep to trade in for items during festivals. I guess, these GW2 dev are not as creative as the previous crew.

Posted by: Alkonium.9164

Alkonium.9164

You don’t need to have them all in your inventory at once. You collect an item, it adds to your achievement progress, and then you’re free to get rid of it.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

It says nothing. When you select sell junk, it sells them all in one click.

Exactly. You click a button that literally says “junk” on it. That’s what I was talking about

Posted by: Ishtar.6457

Ishtar.6457

What annoys me the most is now some of the junk item is an exotic. got 4 useless exotic tequatl spoon. for what purpose? i don’t know.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

What annoys me the most is now some of the junk item is an exotic. got 4 useless exotic tequatl spoon. for what purpose? i don’t know.

The spoons are another achievement. Talk to the collections NPC in LA, and get a spoon collection box. Spoon is added to the collection, and then you can sell it. Just like the junk collector.

BTW, I had lots of fun, hunting down all the junk items for the achievment. The bag you get as a reward wasn’t too bad either.

P.S. Don’t equip any MF boosters of any kind when going for this achievment. It took WAY too long to get some of the junk items, as mobs kept dropping blue/greens/and rares….

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

You basically understand all there is to junk trophies:

1) They have more flavor than giving raw copper drops. Junk items are basically drops of small amounts of coin, but there’s a bit more flavor, and fun, in getting a silly item instead.

2) They eat up your bag space, forcing you to find a merchant more often. Especially at lower levels. While this is a drawback from a ‘I want to power-farm!’ perspective, it’s a feature to the world as a whole – players congregate around merchants and services, and needing to visit merchants to do so drives more player movement around the map and makes the game a little bit more alive.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

The problem is, if you remove junk items, it means people will loot less often. Which means less motivation to kill things.

The coin from selling them is not bad either, when you start adding it up. It seems like so little, but it helps to offset things like waypoint costs.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

- SNIP -

Edit: but they seem important. Some of them even got updated icons with the feature pack!

I really don’t see the point of the OP’s whine.. I mean it’s not like every other MMO out there doesn’t have a trash loot object within the their loot tables.. its supposed be a middle ground between killing a 100 mobs and getting nothing, and killing 100 mobs and getting the best the loot table has to offer.. it has a value.. its worth something.. think about how many porous bones you got today, this week, this month – pretty sure it makes a half decent stash to supplement things like WP costs throughout your time in game. So not really seeing the issue except maybe the OP wants top loot every time he kills some trash mob, which just isn’t going to happen… as for taking up space.. its a non issue imo… just an excuse.

But you last comment in your reply is maybe the bit that I can feel a little narked over.. I mean all those trash loot icons got some precious time/love spent on them for the patch, when other more meaningful issues go ignored.. again. Glad it helps make the NPE feel all easier though.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Early on the trade-in value for junk can cover some WP costs. Not a total loss.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Yea, on top of that they sit in a big steel chest. You think ooo shiny….spoon.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: The Comfy Chair.7265

The Comfy Chair.7265

This was something mentioned by a developer waaaaay back before the game was released. It was because players generally prefer to see ‘flavour items’ drop than just adding that gold to the monster kill. After all, a nearly full inventory feels like you’ve been doing stuff! Plus you get that boost in money when you sell the junk, which is mildly more satisfying than getting 1-10 copper more each kill. It’s all very small in the grand scheme of things, but it’s the small touches that make or break a game (and is why games like Destiny feel so sterile).

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Getting gray junk out of champion bags is kitten . Pure and simple. In their position in the loot table simply replace their value with coin. Give me that 32cp instead of crap in my bag.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Early on the trade-in value for junk can cover some WP costs. Not a total loss.

Just what I was thinking.