Anet: It's time to move to paid expansions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Squeesidhe.4761

Squeesidhe.4761

The Living World is nice and all but as a means to grow the game and maintain player interest it’s a disaster. It’s time to abandon the Living World strategy and go with the traditional method of paid expansions, like GW1 and countless other MMOs.

GW2 is a great game but it is stagnant. The Living World doesn’t mix up the game enough. There are no new classes, weapons, weapon skills, zones, game modes, races, or anything else of significance. What you’ve done thus far with new content is insufficient.

So go big and start charging box prices.

Having big releases creates milestones in a game that generates press and gets new and current players excited. Even if the expansions generate controversy (OMG, how could they introduce mounts??!), that’s still excitement and buzz and is better than the sleepytime atmosphere you have going on in-game now.

Add digital deluxe editions to each expansion with worthwhile incentives and make some more money. I’ll buy them if the incentives aren’t insulting.

Use the expansions as an excuse to perform back-end optimizations and bug fixes so you can release massive patch notes showing how active and engaged your dev team is. Revisit current classes and freshen them up, fix long-standing complaints and bugs.

Add content that allows classes to feel MORE like their class. Glowing holy armor for Guardians, cemeteries for Necros, thieves guilds for Thieves.

And on and on…

The game is great, it’s actually survived many attempts to de-throne it for myself personally (I’m looking at you, Wildstar), but it needs a LOT of care and watering if it’s to grow.

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

I’m nostalgic for the good old days of GW1 when we couldn’t wait for Factions, then Nightfall, then Eye of the North.

The Living Story, essentially superimposed upon the existing areas (Dry Top being the recent exception), hasn’t captivated me in the least. It’s okay for something new to do, but that’s about it.

I, too, am ready to pay for expansions with some engaging content.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Expansion yes.

Living Storyline should stay, but as something really small. Small instances that add to the story of the six gods or something.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Greetings, time traveler! You’ve arrived in 2014!

Unfortunately, expansions in this day and age are a bygone thing of yore. We still pine for them due to nostalgia, but game publishers have learned that they can make substantially more money doing substantially less work and with substantially less risk by simply nickel and diming the market with DLC.

If it is an expansion you seek, I suggest you return to your original timeline. Here, we just read about them in history books.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Claridiana.5230

Claridiana.5230

I like the living story model better than an expansion model.
Ofc it is rather dry now with the month-long unexpected break in the living story that has not been filled with any other new content, but basically i find the idea of continous
story-telling instead of rather arbitrary “expansions” good.

Lillizypp – Asura Mesmer
[Soul] – Ring of Fire

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yes. Please do expansions which a lot of players would complete within 1-2 months and then have to wait at least an entire year for another expansion. That would be so much better than now.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

If you were to players the choice between a paid expansion or free updates that gave you everything that normally came IN an expansion, I can’t think of too many people who would say, “Nah. I like spending money on stuff I could get for free.”

On the other hand, the problem is that as of right now, the Living Story HASN’T given a paid expansion worth of content, at least in the way that players have become used to the term. Players expect new races, new classes, new skills…

But to flip it back to the first hand, many of the things that players want in an expansion are things that Arena.net has been reluctant to provide, and lukewarm on at best (a new profession is something that Arena.net has outright said isn’t high on their to do list, for example). I’m not sure we’d get them with a paid expansion either.

I dunno. Arena.net wants to do things differently than other MMOs, and I suspect any paid expansion would be fairly different than what players are used to as well. I certainly don’t see any guarantee that a GW2 expansion would have Tengu, for example, or even new weapon skills.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I’m almost worried about how they’d handle an expansion. It would probably just be Living Story Season 3 – Boxed Editon.

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t really consider new races or classes as content. If you commute 100 miles every day to work, would buying a car really add onto or change the experience? New skills could change up the current meta but in the end, people will go with what is optimal and it won’t be any different than now.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

LS should have been a buffer between expansions. Right now it looks like it’s the main story instead of a big side story that leads to an expansion.

Morsus.5106

I don’t really consider new races or classes as content. If you commute 100 miles every day to work, would buying a car really add onto or change the experience? New skills could change up the current meta but in the end, people will go with what is optimal and it won’t be any different than now.

Unless it makes a new meta. They might add a class that one shots Tequatl, or one that gets one shotted by trash mobs. We can’t judge content that probably hasn’t even been thought of.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I’m almost worried about how they’d handle an expansion. It would probably just be Living Story Season 3 – Boxed Editon.

That’s my suspicion, honestly. Would players really want to spend $40-$50 dollars for that? I don’t think so.

The things players want in an expansion (new zones, new races, new professions, new skills, etc), are all things that COULD be presented as Living Story content, but are all things that Arena.net has been unwilling to do (I mentioned new professions specifically as something they’ve outright said isn’t particularly in their future plans).

They just aren’t things they’ve been inclined to do, and there’s no reason to believe pressing for a boxed expansion you pay money for would include them.

Ayrilana.1396

Unless it makes a new meta. They might add a class that one shots Tequatl, or one that gets one shotted by trash mobs. We can’t judge content that probably hasn’t even been thought of.

All it does is change the meta just like we often get when they do their balancing updates. It doesn’t really add anything.

It’s like that one saying: You can dress up **** all you want but in the end it is still ****.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Morsus.5106

All it does is change the meta just like we often get when they do their balancing updates. It doesn’t really add anything.

So if they removed every class in the game except for Necromancers, would you argue that the game has the same amount of content?

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

Unfortunately, expansions in this day and age are a bygone thing of yore. We still pine for them due to nostalgia, but game publishers have learned that they can make substantially more money doing substantially less work and with substantially less risk by simply nickel and diming the market with DLC.

If it is an expansion you seek, I suggest you return to your original timeline. Here, we just read about them in history books.

In the current timeline, Rift released an expansion yesterday, EQ1 will do so in 5 days, WoW in a month, SW:TOR in 2 months, and FFXIV next spring.

Yes. Please do expansions which a lot of players would complete within 1-2 months and then have to wait at least an entire year for another expansion. That would be so much better than now.

It would be.

But this is a terrible argument anyway. The game was released 2 years and 2 months ago. I’m still running the same dungeons that were there at release, playing the same classes that were there at release, playing in the same maps that were there at release, etc. Just because some players will experience the content in a few months doesn’t mean the new content stops being relevant in a few months. As I noted, the content that was there at release are still relevant. New content allows for more variety and stops the game from feeling stale.

There’s been some posts since I’ve started typing this so I will address the idea that new classes won’t change much. No. Every class plays differently from one another. Experiencing the game through another class is significant.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

No it does not need payed expansions. It really needs more meat in the LS I will see by Christmastime how that pans out.

Morsus.5106

No it does not need payed expansions. It really needs more meat in the LS I will see by Christmastime how that pans out.

We’ve already given it a year though. Why is Christmas time the deadline for improvement for you?

Ayrilana.1396

So if they removed every class in the game except for Necromancers, would you argue that the game has the same amount of content?

That’s not what I was saying. Right now, everything we have works well with what we have in the game. Adding new skills, race, and/or classes will not add anything. All it does is change the meta or slap on a new appearance.

Morsus.5106

That’s not what I was saying. Right now, everything we have works well with what we have in the game. Adding new skills, race, and/or classes will not add anything. All it does is change the meta or slap on a new appearance.

I still have to disagree. There will always be a meta, that’s a given with MMOs, but a new class could be far beyond a “new appearance”.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

We’ve already given it a year though. Why is Christmas time the deadline for improvement for you?

It is not a deadline. It is the wrapup of the next stretch of LS. I have had a huge amount of fun during the past two years. Don’t see that as a problem, new content would not be turned down by me though.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

He who is not busy growing is busy dying…

Ayrilana.1396

In the current timeline, Rift released an expansion yesterday, EQ1 will do so in 5 days, WoW in a month, SW:TOR in 2 months, and FFXIV next spring.

It would be.

But this is a terrible argument anyway. The game was released 2 years and 2 months ago. I’m still running the same dungeons that were there at release, playing the same classes that were there at release, playing in the same maps that were there at release, etc. Just because some players will experience the content in a few months doesn’t mean the new content stops being relevant in a few months. As I noted, the content that was there at release are still relevant. New content allows for more variety and stops the game from feeling stale.

There’s been some posts since I’ve started typing this so I will address the idea that new classes won’t change much. No. Every class plays differently from one another. Experiencing the game through another class is significant.

Nit really. So playing the same content but in a new class would be significant. So all those players who are complaining about a lack of content, but haven’t experienced it with all classes, should just play another class? I’m sure doing world exploration for the 9th time would be refreshing with a new class. Oh wait, it wouldn’t.

How many people do you think finished the living story releases within a week? I’m pretty sure it’s at least half. Dungeons can be experienced completely within a month as well. You’ll likely be bored of the dungeon by the time you’re halfway getting all of the skins.

Posted by: IcarusMelody.5312

IcarusMelody.5312

So folks rather pay more for significantly less i.e. gem store nonsense; than to pay a set amount for an expansion that would actually add to the core game? Yeah.. Go figure GW2 community.

Ayrilana.1396

I still have to disagree. There will always be a meta, that’s a given with MMOs, but a new class could be far beyond a “new appearance”.

The appearance term was one I was generically using. Of course it doesn’t apply directly with classes. It does with races though.

If you read my posts, I addressed what new classes would bring. All it would do is change the meta. It doesn’t add anything because you’d still be playing the same content. If you drive to work for 100 miles everyday in a minivan for 20 years, woukd driving it in a Mercedes really change the experience?

Morsus.5106

The appearance term was one I was generically using. Of course it doesn’t apply directly with classes. It does with races though.

If you read my posts, I addressed what new classes would bring. All it would do is change the meta. It doesn’t add anything because you’d still be playing the same content. If you drive to work for 100 miles everyday in a minivan for 20 years, woukd driving it in a Mercedes really change the experience?

No, but driving a motorcycle would (a class, not a race). I’m not a big pusher for a new race, as I tend to only play humans and human-likes in fantasy games, a new class would be a big change though.

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

Hey Net guys… I want to see Crystal Desert…I will pay for it….

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

most people dont go for what is optimal, they go for what they like, then try to optimize it. Otherwise everyone would be playing the same 3 classes. If a new proffession is handled differently they would give you a totally different experience. Closer to getting a new job rather than getting a new car.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

A new class will lead to more posts about how the new class is OP and needs to be nerfed, or all the other classes buffed to be on par with the new class, which leads to even more posts about how X class is OP and should be nerfed.

I can see why Anet is reluctant to introduce a new class. With all the current balance issues there are now with 8 classes, you’ll have even more headaches with 9 or more classes.

Aside from classes and balancing, I don’t feel that an expansion would actually change the way people think about the game. People are already QQing about how long of a break we’ve had in the living story (what 2 months?) and how in that time the game has grown stale, is boring, and there is nothing to do. Now add in expansion. YAY!! There is fun stuff to do again!! And you do it all in say 6-8 months, maybe a year. But now you have to wait another year, or more, for another expansion. At that point, you’ll have all the same people QQing about how long they have to wait for stuff, how stale/boring the game is, and that is basically dead because their group of friends got bored and stopped playing, how terribly unbalanced everything is, and that they need another expansion to bring new life into the game. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

I love they way they bring about content and story. The living story, with the frequent updates, is great! Granted we have a bit of a break going on, but thats ok. It gives us time to breath a bit, relax, explore, and have fun.

Just remember, the grass always apprears greener on the other side….

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Arcadio.6875

Nit really. So playing the same content but in a new class would be significant. So all those players who are complaining about a lack of content, but haven’t experienced it with all classes, should just play another class? I’m sure doing world exploration for the 9th time would be refreshing with a new class. Oh wait, it wouldn’t.

How many people do you think finished the living story releases within a week? I’m pretty sure it’s at least half. Dungeons can be experienced completely within a month as well. You’ll likely be bored of the dungeon by the time you’re halfway getting all of the skins.

World completion may be similar enough but that’s because you are mostly running from place to place. Dungeons, PvP, and WvW (when running with a guild rather than a big zerg) certainly are different experiences when playing as other classes. Those who haven’t played as classes they may be interested in should try them out. Adding a new class to give another option for those who haven’t played all the classes yet or to give something different to do for those who have played all the classes is a good thing, not an insignificant one.

I don’t even know what you are arguing for. Do you not want the game to get new stuff just because some people will complete it in a few months?

Lord Arcadio

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

The reason why I’d rather have an expansion is because it would at least provide for some revenue and make it so that they wouldn’t have to resort to such blatant anti-consumer, iOS free-to-play-game-style nickel-and-diming practices like the recent change to the Gem conversion.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

(edited by Vermillion Hawk.9037)

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Living Story helps add new quests faster than a boxed expansions Players will deny it’s not new content but in the end it’s new. Also it give them a new reason to keep adding stuff to the gem store. If you don’t anything there that’s not the point, a large amount of players do which equals money coming in for Anet.

Problem with boxed expansions, year or longer to have to wait for their releases which means the same players crying about the lack of new content will still crying about the lack of new content between releases, also it’s a one time purchase meaning a one time profit for Anet.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Ayrilana.1396

No, but driving a motorcycle would (a class, not a race). I’m not a big pusher for a new race, as I tend to only play humans and human-likes in fantasy games, a new class would be a big change though.

So let’s say that you have a flat, straight road that you drive down to work for 100 miles every day. There’s absolutely no scenery to look at. You’ve been doing this for 10 years. You’re telling me that hanging vehicles (from a van to a motorcycle) would change this from being less boring? You’re still experiencing the same driving content.

Let’s say that Anet released Tengu as a playable eace and nothing else. Would that really add anything to the game if you had already experienced all of the existing content? Would doing the personal story, dungeons, world boss zergs, etc be any different as a different race?

Let’s say Anet adds the Dervish class to the game tomorrow and only that. Would that really add anything to the game? You’re still experiencing the same content but with a different play-style. You’re telling me that running AC or CoF for the 1.000th time will be different as a new class?

Let’s say that Anet adds 100 new skills to the game tomorrow and only that. Would that really add anything new to the already existing content that you wouldn’t get from a major skill balance update? There will always be a meta and it would just change to use those existing skills.

Vermillion Hawk.9037

I can speak from experience that changing vehicles from a van to a motorcycle does in fact make the same old drive a lot better. Until it’s winter and you have to break out the van again.

Ayrilana.1396

World completion may be similar enough but that’s because you are mostly running from place to place. Dungeons, PvP, and WvW (when running with a guild rather than a big zerg) certainly are different experiences when playing as other classes. Those who haven’t played as classes they may be interested in should try them out. Adding a new class to give another option for those who haven’t played all the classes yet or to give something different to do for those who have played all the classes is a good thing, not an insignificant one.

I don’t even know what you are arguing for. Do you not want the game to get new stuff just because some people will complete it in a few months?

Of course I want the game to have new stuff. Please don’t insinuate that I’m sayibg that we shouldn’t get new stuff.

What I’m saying is that an expansion would really be no different than what we currently have now. New races, skills, classes are just fluff. They’re only secondary content and not something that really adds to the player experience. Playing a different class would not really change the game experience. Engineer is the only class that I haven’t really played. Me playing it isn’t going to change my experience with dungeons.

phys.7689

So let’s say that you have a flat, straight road that you drive down to work for 100 miles every day. There’s absolutely no scenery to look at. You’ve been doing this for 10 years. You’re telling me that hanging vehicles (from a van to a motorcycle) would change this from being less boring? You’re still experiencing the same driving content.

Let’s say that Anet released Tengu as a playable eace and nothing else. Would that really add anything to the game if you had already experienced all of the existing content? Would doing the personal story, dungeons, world boss zergs, etc be any different as a different race?

Let’s say Anet adds the Dervish class to the game tomorrow and only that. Would that really add anything to the game? You’re still experiencing the same content but with a different play-style. You’re telling me that running AC or CoF for the 1.000th time will be different as a new class?

Let’s say that Anet adds 100 new skills to the game tomorrow and only that. Would that really add anything new to the already existing content that you wouldn’t get from a major skill balance update? There will always be a meta and it would just change to use those existing skills.

an expansion is generally a combination of lots of new things, not one. But one of the most substantial changes they can make is new class, that can totally change what type of game interactions and playstyle you have, and actually make the game extremely different.

go play a fighting game with a new charachter, its generally a fairly different experience, and can make all your 1000s of fights versus other charachters new again.

Ayrilana.1396

I can speak from experience that changing vehicles from a van to a motorcycle does in fact make the same old drive a lot better. Until it’s winter and you have to break out the van again.

For like how long? A week? Two weeks? You have the initial “newness” but that quickly fades.

Vermillion Hawk.9037

Depends on how much you like riding a motorcycle. The excitement never wears off for me. Similarly if a game has good content chances are I’ll still be playing it years later. Final Fantasy Tactics has amazing content and I still play it often even almost two decades after it was made.

(edited by Vermillion Hawk.9037)

Ayrilana.1396

an expansion is generally a combination of lots of new things, not one. But one of the most substantial changes they can make is new class, that can totally change what type of game interactions and playstyle you have, and actually make the game extremely different.

go play a fighting game with a new charachter, its generally a fairly different experience, and can make all your 1000s of fights versus other charachters new again.

Not so much. New races, classes, and skills are secondary content. They’re not something that could hold well on their own. New campaigns, on the other hand, would actually be substantial content. I’ve played this game since launch and have played 7/8 classes. Me playing all of that as an engineer isn’t really going to change my experience.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s time to move to GvG, Guild Halls and world expansion.
As a friend mentioned to me yesterday, it seems like Anet is working on a strange anti-investment marketing idea, where they try to make money from the less content possible in order to cut on short term development.

I am almost certain they are working on a new game and that only a limited team is tied to development for this game.

Ayrilana.1396

Depends on how much you like riding a motorcycle. The excitement never wears off for me. Similarly if a game has good content chances are I’ll still be playing it years later. Final Fantasy Tactics has amazing content and I still play it often even almost two decades after it was made.

Would them adding a new race, skills, class really change anything after you’ve played it for 20 years?

Vermillion Hawk.9037

Well actually there’s a great example in that 7 years ago or so they did a slight remake of it which added a couple of new characters, side missions and two new jobs, and that did change the game and made it more fun, because they built off of the already-great base to add other features which overall improved the experience.

Arcadio.6875

I don’t think anyone is advocating that they release a new race and nothing else. Now if they added a new race, a racial storyline similar to the first third of the PS, and a home city for the race, I certainly wouldn’t complain. I wouldn’t say that is enough for the game, but it would be a good addition rather than an insignificant one. I personally would prefer if a new race gets released along with a new class so I can make a new character that is both the new race and new class. As for adding new classes and new skills. Yes, that adds something new.

Note that people don’t advocate for one thing and just one thing. A combination of things will make for a better game. I also want new dungeons and PvP types. Those would also provide more things to do for the classes you already have.

Lord Arcadio

Morsus.5106

When I first got the game I stuck to the starting human zones. I had less than 20% map completion, and had never been to Orr. Once I started exploring a little more, I resolved never to go back to Queensdale because after clocking in an ungodly number of hours there I never wanted to see it again. I then tried leveling a Warrior on the XP train that used to run through there. It only reinforced my feelings for the zone and made me want to get out of it. Then a few days ago I decided to make a Human Thief. I actually enjoyed mapping Queensdale again with a new play style. If a new play style rejuvenated this zone, I think that a new play style could rejuvenate the game for players that have exhausted all the current play styles that they like.

phys.7689

Not so much. New races, classes, and skills are secondary content. They’re not something that could hold well on their own. New campaigns, on the other hand, would actually be substantial content. I’ve played this game since launch and have played 7/8 classes. Me playing all of that as an engineer isn’t really going to change my experience.

They may need to depart farther with playstyles. For me, i would say that elementalist, mesmer, engineer, thief, and ranger all give a very unique feeling to playing them. Necro Warrior and Guardian feel pretty middle of the road, and not that different.

A new campaign is a must, but for me a new class makes the actual gameplay feel different. Doing drytop on my mesmer, didnt really feel that different than doing other things, it was more about seeing what was new, than actually feeling different while doing it.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I don’t think anyone is advocating that they release a new race and nothing else. Now if they added a new race, a racial storyline similar to the first third of the PS, and a home city for the race, I certainly wouldn’t complain. I wouldn’t say that is enough for the game, but it would be a good addition rather than an insignificant one. I personally would prefer if a new race gets released along with a new class so I can make a new character that is both the new race and new class. As for adding new classes and new skills. Yes, that adds something new.

Note that people don’t advocate for one thing and just one thing. A combination of things will make for a better game. I also want new dungeons and PvP types. Those would also provide more things to do for the classes you already have.

For a year all we got was this little PvE world area called Dry Top, Living Story, and UI improvements, so the question is:
Besides those, what have they been doing for all that time with their full development team?
Possible answers:
A- Preparing an expansion (yet they do not announce anything, therefore are not creating any hype at all)
B- Working on another game: http://www.examiner.com/article/guild-wars-2-publisher-inks-unreal-engine-4-guild-wars-3-coming
C- Nothing else than what we’ve seen (not probable)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

So when people rush through the expansion and start complaining about being bored after a month, need a new expansion again right?

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

It would be.

No matter how you try to spin it, more variety is better for the game. People may not want to go get 100% map completion on another character but the majority would love to have another to class to mix in to WvW and SPVP. It may change the meta or maybe it won’t, but at least it gives people something different to play around with. Now for dungeons its like a family having a large movie collection. Some family members may not like every movie or maybe they are bored of certain ones. That doesn’t matter though. What does matter is that you have the availability incase you do want to watch a certain one. I buy movies all the time and watch them once and then don’t watch them again for months or maybe even years. Having the collection doesn’t mean I have to watch them everyday. That’s the point of a collection, so that I can watch them when I feel like it. That’s why there needs to be more dungeons in GW2. Sure we may not do them every day and not everyone is going to like them all but at least the option exist. More options means more ways to have fun.

I have never heard anyone ever give a bad review of a game for having to much of something. I have seen tons of bad reviews based on to little.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

I’m going to copy and paste my post in the previous expansion thread.

“During the living story releases it was evident that many people were logging on the first day or the first few days of the story’s release and then would not log in until the next step. Two weeks breaks are fine but this phenomena would also be seen with expansions especially if they are as “needed” as people claim them to be.

This leads to the question of what is better in terms of game health and revenue. Is it a life line of expansions that part of the population will buy to complete in under a week or month? This would result in spike activity at certain times and stagnation in the rest especially if people want as much new stuff in the expansions as they have stated (new classes, races, etc.).
Or is it better to have a slower medium of content delivery that gives incentive to at least log in bimonthly and play for a day or two for free and be informed of all of the new gem store items that are regularly introduced? This is part is apparently sustainable by 20 people, but I think should have more support to release more content (which is primarily what everyone wants).

An expansion would also probably shift the revenue stream from GW2 completely and end up being the primary source of revenue if enough people keep buying it and playing in longer bursts. This will also weaken the revenue from gems since the people bursting would be less exposed to releases. Another problem is WvWvW and sPvP both of these strive to achieve a competitive scene and the fragmented nature of expansions can hurt this a lot especially the WvW. Expansions would also remove incentives to improve these areas since expansions are mainly pve (pvp would be too unfair) and may become the primary source of revenue. The retention from wvw would then be insignificant. The longer burst nature would also be very harmful to wvw.

Living story can alleviate most of the concerns if only it produces more diverse content and well produces more. The problem is that content would always be slower than the player mastery of the content. One concern with living story however is that it does not seem to be as marketable as an expansion. This can be mended if Anet were to release teasers for the whole season but that can be bit spoilerly."

Arcadio.6875

So when people rush through the expansion and start complaining about being bored after a month, need a new expansion again right?

I’m bored of this argument lol. People still do the content that was there since release. Why would new content be any different? Just like with the original release, there will be those who will rush through all the content and then quit until something new comes out. Others will continue playing the content years later. If there isn’t any new content though, the old ones will become too stale. Expansions will keep the game fresh for those who enjoy playing the game regularly.

Lord Arcadio

Ayrilana.1396

I’m bored of this argument lol. People still do the content that was there since release. Why would new content be any different? Just like with the original release, there will be those who will rush through all the content and then quit until something new comes out. Others will continue playing the content years later. If there isn’t any new content though, the old ones will become too stale. Expansions will keep the game fresh for those who enjoy playing the game regularly.

They just add a small fraction of content that eventually becomes as stale as existing content. The only difference is that due to their significantly smaller size, this occurs much quicker.