Anet are these forgotten activities?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Q:

To quote wiki:

“Before launch, ArenaNet suggest that they had plans for as many as 30 activities or mini-games, but only a few have been implemented. Previously mentioned ideas include: Archery/Target Range.1, Bar Brawl, Polymock, Smash ’Em Up.2, and an unknown activity that involves shooting mini golems that explode. 3
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Activity

I remember reading about this when GW2 launched there are npcs in Black Citadel and Divinty’s Reach that still talk about these activities (don’t delete them XD). It has been two years and several activities were delayed because “Lord Cadecus” is holding a party or something. For two years, he has been holding the same party. So my question is, will these activities come out one day or have they been permanently forgotten about? I was really looking forward to the Charr Battle Vehicle activity.

Thanks for reading this post.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I doubt most of them will happen. I think it’s fairly clear that the players have almost no interest in “Activities.” Since launch the devs have tried very hard to bribe players into them by upping the rewards, making them a daily achievement, etc., but even then you had fairly minimal groups participating most of the time, and they’ve backed off a bit by removing the achievement most days. They might add some more activities as they go, but I imagine it’s fairly back burner.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

I wouldn’t generalize that everyone has no interest in activities. There’s some people who actually enjoy mini games. The keg/ crab toss and the drinking game were some decent ones.

I think if they added some newly well thought out activities, it may bring some freshness into the game.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

reapex.8546

I think if they added some newly well thought out activities, it may bring some freshness into the game.

I agree, completely.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I kind of enjoy them myself, my point was that they don’t seem to be massively attended anymore. While some players might enjoy them a lot, I think it’s safe to assume that there aren’t all that many of them, although ANet would have exact figures on that.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

reapex.8546

Hoping they do respond to this, we already got a confirmation that there isn’t a dungeon team. Knowing that whether activities are completely abandoned or if an activity team even exist will put some people at ease.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Personally, I can’t stand the activities we have in game – and that’s exactly why we need more to be added!

Being limited to playing one per day; insanely grindy achievements on some; unfair mechanics and bad memories tied to their releases (I’m looking at you, karka toss!) are amongst the many reasons why I can’t stand these things. If we had a nice variety of them, available at any time, that were designed purely for the sake of fun… then we could talk.

Belcher’s bluff was the most successful one, in my opinion; but the cost per game/infinite kit and the fact one of the skills is nearly impossible to obtain nowadays definitely put people off it… plus how many people even remember it exists?

reapex.8546

only going to bump this once before it goes off to the forum graveyard

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I think more people would be interested if they could pick when and what to play.

reapex.8546

I think more people would be interested if they could pick when and what to play.

I agree, instead of having the activity rotation only. Would be great if we had the rotation and/or the option to play whenever we wanted, like in the past, for guild events.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Reapex, I agree with you! And you’re also too funny.
I’d love to see more activities! Since nowdays you can barely play your favorite one unless it’s the right day..

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

It would be wonderful to hear something about these and other game areas, I agree.

But ArenaNet has a strict policy against mentioning anything in development, so unless that changes, we’ll never get so much as a “Yep! We’re working on them!” or a “Nah, they didn’t really pan out.”

It might seem silly, but remember, communication is very important to them.

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

They removed RC Golem chess during the NPE update! >:O . So don’t expect any new activity which new players will “find to be complicated”

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

See this is one of the things that peeves me the most about ANet sometimes, they do something half kittened, and when the playerbase doesn’t respond well to it they give up on the whole concept instead of learning from it and doing better next time.

People haven’t shown a lot of interest because all of the current activities have serious problems ANet doesn’t address. Keg Brawl is probably our most refined activity and it is still load with problems; the controls are clunky, they are several exploits with throwing the kegs in to terrain, still can’t see asura animations, most of the abilities have completely unclear hitboxes, and you can still WALK THROUGH PEOPLE denying most of the strategic value of placement and positioning that comes to bear in an open field sport.

And that’s the most refined activity, don’t even get me started on southsun survival or the crab toss.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

For two years, he has been holding the same party.

Dang it! I must have misplaced my invite. That sounds like a party worth attending!

Seriously though, short of the temporary mini games (Halloween, Wintersday, SAB) those mini games are very lightly attended outside of it being a daily achievement. With all the things the devs can spend their time on, I’m wagering that new mini games are not high on the list. I hope I’m wrong and we’ll see something new next year.

SBI

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

For almost every activity so far the feedback has been the same:

Let us play with/against our friends/guildies! Just use the tPvP roster system as an optional way to start the activity.

And: People play activities a lot during festivals.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Long live Meep: bring back the moa race!

Where did these guys go? I like to think a group rescued the racing moas and that they weren’t destroyed in the attack. Would love to find Meep, Motti, Monna, Mortt, and the mystery moas in a town or on npc property somewhere… With new moas being trained to race when LA is restored.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

As others have pointed out, I don’t think the activities we have are/were played very much by the greater player base (which is a shame… I enjoyed the occasional game of Keg Brawl…)
But you know… it’s all about the rewards and the loot these days. Screw doing anything because it’s just ‘fun’…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The problem is there are a lot of bugs and exploits in these minigames and Anet fails to adress them despite numerous reports over the last 12 months or so. One person abusing the exploits ruin the whole round (possibly over and over).

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

Crab toss is a lot of fun when lots of people are playing. Polymock could be a cool pvp minigame. Moa racing was cool, if expensive, and should be brought back. They could justify it by making it a financing tool for rebuilding LA.

Unique skins that can only be obtained by playing specific activities repeatedly would increase participation, using a token system for payment like in dungeons. For example, karka shell heavy armor for playing crab toss, a “the Flash” type costume for doing sanctum sprint, A.R.E.N.A commando armor for doing southsun survival. I’m sure we could come up with lots of ideas. I suspect Anet just doesn’t have enough people, or budget, to do everything they want to do, so activities got backordered.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!