Anet is working on "Stuff"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I’m sure people will keep saying anything, but there are reasonable people out there reading this post who can now more easily dismiss those claims. Obviously something is being worked on, unless this journalist is lying.

So people might see people say that and shrug and move on…because now there’s something to show as a counterpoint (as opposed to just logic which worked before for some). This should help others make more educated decisions about posts that pretty much make stuff up.

I think i’m pretty reasonable. I also think the China launch ate a lot of development time and that might have taken the better part or a year or more to make happen. This all while NA/EU carried on with a fairly long list of bugs, small to semi large feature packs and shallow LS steps. This not to mention the desire to revamp stuff people arguably don’t care for. During the megaserver roll-out, it was stated that it would slowly roll out over time, yet within a week (maybe 2) it was dumped on the rest of the game without a whisper that it was happening, people were confused. This goes the same for the NPE, which wasn’t even addressing core issues that make the experience of playing the game less frustrating (combat and camera improvements). Add to that the trait revamp which was supposed to have come from the CDI and people just cringed, saying how out-of-touch they were on it, yet it’s still here.

The game itself has some pretty fundamental flaws, stuff that has been spoken out about for the better part of 2 years. Tacking more “stuff” on top of a pile of garbage (not that i’m insinuating the game is garbage) doesn’t make it less a pile of garbage. I have practical expectations that Arena would at least deal with the basis of which flaws and bugs spring forth, but so far, it seems to not be in scope of the “stuff” they’ve been working on.

There is a ton of useful feedback here, with little to no communication from Arena other than to say they basically make no guarantees on any of it, but they think it’s a good idea and we should all brainstorm about. It’s a lot of pie in the sky and the reasonable people tend not to bother.

Here’s something about transparency they mentioned that really made me go hmm. When speaking about creating new maps for WvW, a dev told us it can take 6 months to a year to build and test it. That seems rather excessive for a single map, which leads me to think either the tools aren’t up to the task of being efficient or they have some serious internal struggle going on that management isn’t addressing or…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

There is no doubt anet is working on “stuff”. Every business has to work on “stuff” so that the company’s assets are not wasted. What people want is the delivery of said “stuff” and without it players can assume that no stuff is being worked on because no stuff is to be had.

Just because one person says “they are working on stuff” from pure observation does not entirely prove that they are actually working on stuff. Just putting that out there.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Anet could have handled that situation a lot better in my opinion.

Are you sure? Cause yeah logically you could argue if they explained stuff in detail people would be understanding. You know if instead of being tight lipped on Precursor crafting they could have said its been delayed to approximately X because of Y whatever. But would it really be the case?

Its been repeated by some of us that LS is just 20 employees out of 350 and quoting where Arenanet said only about 20 employees work on the LS (hey did it like 5 times today alone myself) yet people still over and over and over state LS is all we’ll ever get.

Do you really honestly believe any kind of Anet communication would change that?

I am with you in wanting more communication I’d be okey if they promised an expansion release tomorrow only to be told 5 minutes later thats its been delayed for another year because of an issue they found or because the market conditions are not right etc… How many people would still use that as a clear example of why Anything Anet said cannot be trusted even 5 years down the line? What about the uproar it would generate? How many people will quit there and then?

As much as I hate lack of communication and I do, very much do, I do think this is the right choice for them.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There is no doubt anet is working on “stuff”. Every business has to work on “stuff” so that the company’s assets are not wasted. What people want is the delivery of said “stuff” and without it players can assume that no stuff is being worked on because no stuff is to be had.

Just because one person says “they are working on stuff” from pure observation does not entirely prove that they are actually working on stuff. Just putting that out there.

Of course it doesn’t “prove it”.

But it sure makes it less likely that they’re not working on stuff, which some people seem to say.

Posted by: Scrivs.4501

Scrivs.4501

Sounds like an expansion.

Don’t jump to conclusions there, tiger. We still don’t know anything.
Though nice to have the news coming from someone else this time.

[EU] Desolation
Mesmer – Necromancer – Ranger – Elementalist – Revenant

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Of course it doesn’t “prove it”.

But it sure makes it less likely that they’re not working on stuff, which some people seem to say.

They’ve always been working on “stuff”. That’s what game developers do, they work on stuff. But “stuff” can be anything from a new items to throw on the cash shop to an expansion. That’s why “we’re working on stuff” is nothing more than lip service, and I don’t understand why anyone here is pretending otherwise.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

They are working on nothing.

Now, before any of you (Vayne) dismiss that statement, hear me out. Yes, they’re working on things, but those things are currently nothing.

First of all, the stuff they’re working on may not even be for GW2. So far as I’ve seen, nobody official has ever said it is. Maybe they’re developing a MOBA based on the Guild Wars franchise. Maybe it’s a whole new game engine for NCSoft. Maybe it’s a steampunk MMO where you fight against cultists trying to call forth the Old Gods. (Actually, I might not mind that last one.)

If it IS something that’s not GW2, then it’s not going to help us here. Worse, NCSoft can (and I know they did this twice to Paragon Studios) take a look at it and pull the plug, saying they don’t feel it’s worth supporting further development on it. In either case, as far as GW2 is concerned, all this work will amount to “nothing”.

If the work being done is for GW2, then it’s still “nothing”. ANet has made it very clear that plans change. This is pretty much their entire excuse for not talking about what they’re developing for the game, right? The nasty side of that is that anything under development can get the axe at any time. ANY effort they’re doing to develop new things for GW2 is at risk of never seeing the light of day. Remember Bar Brawl? They said it was ready to go before the game launched, and yet it never made it to live. Until something goes onto the live servers, it may as well not exist. It doesn’t matter how much work was done on it, it can still be scrapped.

Until the moment we have something in our hands (so to speak), everything ANet is working on is vaporware. There’s no guarantee that we’ll ever see any of it, or that it’s even intended for GW2. For us, it doesn’t exist. It’s nothing.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Rule 24: Pics or it didn’t happen.

Scruffy doesn’t believe in this company until there are pictures, blog posts, gameplay videos, PTR footage and otherwise anything else imaginable that indicates we’re not going to be left with nothing to do for two and a half months while some features get ported from GW2:China.

Edit: Palador raises a valid point. Release or it didn’t happen.

(edited by SpeedFiend.4521)

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

They are working on nothing.

Now, before any of you (Vayne) dismiss that statement, hear me out. Yes, they’re working on things, but those things are currently nothing.

First of all, the stuff they’re working on may not even be for GW2. So far as I’ve seen, nobody official has ever said it is. Maybe they’re developing a MOBA based on the Guild Wars franchise. Maybe it’s a whole new game engine for NCSoft. Maybe it’s a steampunk MMO where you fight against cultists trying to call forth the Old Gods. (Actually, I might not mind that last one.)

If it IS something that’s not GW2, then it’s not going to help us here. Worse, NCSoft can (and I know they did this twice to Paragon Studios) take a look at it and pull the plug, saying they don’t feel it’s worth supporting further development on it. In either case, as far as GW2 is concerned, all this work will amount to “nothing”.

If the work being done is for GW2, then it’s still “nothing”. ANet has made it very clear that plans change. This is pretty much their entire excuse for not talking about what they’re developing for the game, right? The nasty side of that is that anything under development can get the axe at any time. ANY effort they’re doing to develop new things for GW2 is at risk of never seeing the light of day. Remember Bar Brawl? They said it was ready to go before the game launched, and yet it never made it to live. Until something goes onto the live servers, it may as well not exist. It doesn’t matter how much work was done on it, it can still be scrapped.

Until the moment we have something in our hands (so to speak), everything ANet is working on is vaporware. There’s no guarantee that we’ll ever see any of it, or that it’s even intended for GW2. For us, it doesn’t exist. It’s nothing.

Schrodinger’s Expansion?

Quantum theories aside, for all practical purposes this is a meaningless argument. GW2 is making them money, so to guess “maybe they are making something else” is ridiculous. The reason the NPE was made was to support new players – something bigger is being worked on that will drive the new players in. And that means it’s “nothing” because it COULD be scrapped at some point? That’s negativity just for the sake of being negative – something that we already have enough of here WITHOUT you doing it for its own sake.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Grasping at straws, this thread is~

Pointing out a comment in an article that a journalist felt should be made is grasping at straws.

I think the people who want to see this game sink are the ones grasping at straws. Five years from now, when they game is still fine, people will be telling us it’s dying.

So far, there hasn’t been an MMO released since Guild Wars 2 has been released that has been as successful. Maybe there’s a reason for that.

Well. This begs the questions: why did GW2 enjoy such a successful release? What elements did it have going for it at release that other MMOs that have released since did not have? Which of those elements have since been cast aside? Why were they cast aside? Was the successful release, after all, nothing more than a bright burst of flame as the kindling ignited? Now that the kindling has burned away, is the game nothing more than soggy firewood stubbornly refusing to catch fire no matter how much trash they throw on it — and if not, why do they keep throwing trash on it?

In short, why has GW2 gone from from ‘skritt, it’s a hit!’ to ‘you ran from skritt!’?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

The last time they worked on “stuff”, they gave us the NPE and removed a section of the story and the rest of my guild quit and I primarily moved to FF14, only stopping at GW2 to do my dailies. Maybe they should stop working on “stuff” and work on something people actually want.

So far, there hasn’t been an MMO released since Guild Wars 2 has been released that has been as successful. Maybe there’s a reason for that.

Define successful.

Having a big launch on a MMO doesn’t mean it’s successful.

Palador.2170

Schrodinger’s Expansion?

Quantum theories aside, for all practical purposes this is a meaningless argument. GW2 is making them money, so to guess “maybe they are making something else” is ridiculous. The reason the NPE was made was to support new players – something bigger is being worked on that will drive the new players in. And that means it’s “nothing” because it COULD be scrapped at some point? That’s negativity just for the sake of being negative – something that we already have enough of here WITHOUT you doing it for its own sake.

That “something bigger” the NPE was made for was the China release. Bringing it back to here was just a way to make the code between the two versions easier to deal with, by keeping it as similar as possible. Yes, they hope it will help to retain new players, but we’ve already seen the “something bigger”, and for us that something was (say it with me) nothing. We already had it.

Also, allow me to quote two fictional characters:

Do, or do not. There is no try.

“Attempted murder,” now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for “attempted chemistry?”

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Now of course, this really means nothing.

You’re right. It really does mean nothing.

/thread

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Also just because they MAY be “working” on some stuff doesn’t actually mean it will ever make it into the game.

It seems to me that 90% of what they develop ends up getting scratched because their “plans” change. (see pretty much everything they were working on in 2013)

So sure they may be “working” on things, but we will never see it and it mostly likely will not ever impact the game except for the continued void where content should be.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

So a few of us white knight types have been saying for a while that Anet is working on stuff and a few of you not so white knight types have been saying Anet isn’t showing us anything because they don’t have anything to show. Enter this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/25/flameseeker-chronicles-navigating-guild-wars-2s-tangled-paths/

The article itself is what it is, but there’s one bit of it that I’ll quote here:

“Although I’m bound by blood oath not to discuss any specifics (it’s a Necromancer thing), I can say with certainty that, yes, ArenaNet is working on stuff. It is working very kitten stuff. There is no internal catastrophe or barren office lurking behind the studio’s policy of limited communication as some fans have feared. There are a lot of highly organized developers there doing things I was mostly not allowed to see up close because there are probably nuclear fallout shelters less secure than ANet HQ. But it’s safe to say that they didn’t pull together hundreds of people and tell them to look very busy and enthusiastic and excited about their game just because I happened to be in the vicinity.”

Now of course, this really means nothing. It’s one man saying he saw something at the studios when he was there, that he’s not allowed to talk about. But it was being done.

The same stuff a lot of us have been saying. He’s saying straight out the fans who say Anet doesn’t have plans in the background are incorrect.

I suppose time will tell, but it’s what I’ve always believed.

no one thinks that they were not working on stuff. In fact all information points to them probably working way harder than they should to achieve what they achieved. I am certain they have all been working hard for a couple years already. But we have yet to see many things that feel substantial.

Regardless, the article is from an extreme optimist who tends to make kittenumptions. He really isnt a valid for of news. All he says is, i went on a tour and everything seemed cool, and they seemed busy.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I really enjoy reading Flameseeker. I enjoyed it when Rubi wrote it, I enjoyed it when Elisabeth wrote it, and I enjoy Anatoli’s work as well. I have been effusive at times in my praise of ArenaNet and I have also been super critical. Those of us that are reasonable, Vayne, are really wondering, “Show us what you are working on so we can decide if we want to go with you.”

There are a lot of us that are huge fans of this game, but have been supremely disappointed at the direction of the game over the last year or two. The core game(the game at release)is my jam. What we have gotten over the last two seasons for the most part is not. I want more of what we got at release: A new, big, sprawling open world. If what they are working on in the background is a better way to deliver what they have been doing over the course of the last two seasons then that isn’t what I am looking for and I don’t want to wait 6 months to a year to find out that isn’t what I am after. Does that make sense?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Working hard or hardly working. It feels like the latter.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

What is the point of this?
Anyone with half a single brain cell knows Anet is working on “stuff”.
Why bother trying to change the minds of idiots who keep claiming they aren’t working on “stuff”?

Unfortunately, anet has been working on “stuff” for 2 years so…..lol

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Obviously they are working on stuff, to be more precise, they are working on another:

Expansions

Worth

of

Content

Lol, yeah. All those not-so-white knights will believe it when they see it. Because, you know, fool me once…

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

So a fan saw that the devs there are not idling like npc. Guess they removed that animation like they did in the game. Even die hard fans of arenanet hope there is an expansion being worked on cause they can’t believe how so little work has been done since launch. Guess it tells something.

I’ll play the average 30mins each 2 months anet offer me with their hard work.

(edited by Simzani.4318)

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

I’m sure people will keep saying anything, but there are reasonable people out there reading this post who can now more easily dismiss those claims. Obviously something is being worked on, unless this journalist is lying.

So people might see people say that and shrug and move on…because now there’s something to show as a counterpoint (as opposed to just logic which worked before for some). This should help others make more educated decisions about posts that pretty much make stuff up.

Your goal may be to get people to dismiss those that criticize anet but until anet starts delivering something other than LS many will just dismiss what you have to say. All that the journalist said was that he saw people working on stuff at anet. They could be working on other games or who knows what. They could just have a huge marketing team in house to shill gaming sites rather than out sourcing. We don’t know or at least I don’t, so my conclusions are just as viable as yours unless you are privy to something the rest of the community is not. All we know is anet has a staff of 300+ and about 20 of them are working on LS. What the other people are working on we have no idea but the track record says not much besides LS and gemstore. Bringing up these topics to say hey look they are working something with out saying what is just more hot air.

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

So a few of us white knight types have been saying for a while that Anet is working on stuff and a few of you not so white knight types have been saying Anet isn’t showing us anything because they don’t have anything to show. Enter this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/25/flameseeker-chronicles-navigating-guild-wars-2s-tangled-paths/

The article itself is what it is, but there’s one bit of it that I’ll quote here:

“Although I’m bound by blood oath not to discuss any specifics (it’s a Necromancer thing), I can say with certainty that, yes, ArenaNet is working on stuff. It is working very kitten stuff. There is no internal catastrophe or barren office lurking behind the studio’s policy of limited communication as some fans have feared. There are a lot of highly organized developers there doing things I was mostly not allowed to see up close because there are probably nuclear fallout shelters less secure than ANet HQ. But it’s safe to say that they didn’t pull together hundreds of people and tell them to look very busy and enthusiastic and excited about their game just because I happened to be in the vicinity.”

Now of course, this really means nothing. It’s one man saying he saw something at the studios when he was there, that he’s not allowed to talk about. But it was being done.

The same stuff a lot of us have been saying. He’s saying straight out the fans who say Anet doesn’t have plans in the background are incorrect.

I suppose time will tell, but it’s what I’ve always believed.

Yep LS and the gem store both count as “stuff”.

They also count as 20 – 30 employees out of 350 which is actually Vayne’s point.

So they claim. I’m not sure I believe much of what (little) Anet tells us. Honestly, I’m more inclined to trust a crackhead on their word over Anet.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

First off, anyone including this reporter and the OP and those accused of making stuff up are all guilty of assumption and that fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Anet. What amazes me is that people tear at each other every day and either try and prove their view is the right one when the company who knows the answer just sits idly by letting their own community turn to shambles. It’s pathetic to think that their is so little respect for the player base that they cannot trust us with the truth and think that letting this happen is justifiable in the end.

Anet/NCSoft has been the cause of all of this negativity, they brought it on themselves pure and simple so before you run out blaming others perhaps blame should be assigned where it belongs and that’s the company not filling in the blanks left for their community. Please don’t come back with they can’t tell us look at the reaction they got before….well boo freaking hoo, you’re a gaming company it’s to be expected, get a backbone.

It’s so pathetic and I am not participating in this charade any longer, I may or may not stick around but frankly the aggravation of trying to get answers just isn’t worth it, so I’m done posting or caring. If this strategy fails for them I hope the one responsible for the policy never works in the industry again, because its been pure poison on many levels.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

sigh….forums I r disappoint

Attachments:

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Your point still doesn’t make any sense though, the argument about people saying anet isn’t doing anything because they don’t announce it is already Mute, we already know they are doing LS2, and will likely recycle more content for LS3 and LS4, we might get a new zone which is time locked for events like the current zones, the problem with zones like this is, eventually when enough ppl stop going to them, they are harder to complete,

Hmm actually it tends to be easier to complete with less people. Maybe they are working on event scaling that actually works?!!!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There are a lot of highly organized developers

There are a whole lot of employee reviews which contradict this. Not saying the company is abandoned or the end is nigh, but when dozens upon dozens of different employees all cite the same organizational, leadership, and decision making problems consistently over a span of several years… there is more than likely a legitimate problem no matter how much ANet ignores or denies it.

There most recent reviews, for example, state that ANets financial leaders have chosen outsourcing to cheap second rate talent over hiring new quality in house developers. That is just a terrible sign, the first step on a road leading to lower and lower quality production. Reviews before that show they have barely hired anyone new over the last two years and nobody has received a raise in spite of more than sufficient profits, causing many of their employees to work ridiculous hours. And then there is the frequent completely unnecessary crunch time, not because of production difficulties but because of leadership that can’t make up their minds about the content as early as they ought.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Khisanth.2948

Oh right … on the topic of devs working on stuff. A while back there was one mentioning working on exciting stuff on his Twitter account … what ever happened to that stuff? Still not released yet?

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Oh right … on the topic of devs working on stuff. A while back there was one mentioning working on exciting stuff on his Twitter account … what ever happened to that stuff? Still not released yet?

Of course it was released! It was… y’know, that stuff. That got put into the game. You know the stuff.

The best part about being vague about exciting stuff and things that you’re putting into the game is that one cannot claim you didn’t put that stuff and those things into the game because you didn’t tell them what stuff and things you were working on.

Attachments:

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

There are a lot of highly organized developers

There are a whole lot of employee reviews which contradict this. Not saying the company is abandoned or the end is nigh, but when dozens upon dozens of different employees all cite the same organizational, leadership, and decision making problems consistently over a span several years… there is more than likely a legitimate problem no matter how much ANet ignores or denies it.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you there’s no reason to believe any of the stuff said in those reviews, as we don’t even know if they were written by people who actually do or have worked at ArenaNet. The simple truth is the state of this game and the quality and quantity of the content released since launch bear out everything that’s been said in those reviews. So when you put two and two together, you get four. An ugly, disheartening four.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Stuff™

Available Soon™

Start the presses, it is time for everyone to jump on the hype train!

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

I think..no, I KNOW the stuff being mentioned here is more gemstore merchandise.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

No one, I think, is seriously arguing that ANet isn’t working on “stuff” and they have been releasing “stuff” on a steady basis. Speaking for myself though, it feels like I’ve sat down at a table for a meal and the waiter puts a teaspoonful of this and a teaspoonful of that on my plate. Tasty enough and enough to keep me grazing while I chat with my fellow diners but gosh darn it, sooner or later I want a whole heaping plate full.

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

I don’t see how this changes anything from what we knew before, i mean we know they are working on “stuff” and they already told us they were working on big stuff before which affected us to no avail since it wasn’t even remotely detailed so this article tells us nothing new and you could even say it reinforces the negative fact that they are still poor at communicating their direction with the game and upcoming content.

I don’t know why Anet invited him over there i mean did they think telling a person ‘hey we are working on big stuff look how hard everyone is working’ will give us any hope or improve our enthusiasm at all especially how Anet seem to overhype things.

Now i personally do think they are working on an expansion but keep telling myself they aren’t so it doesn’t feel so long when they do release it.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Great news. Anet is still working…and? This article makes no difference whether it existed or not. It doesn’t shed new light on anything.

Funnily enough, the article writer got invited to Anet’s HQ, yet couldn’t even get a quote from an employee during his time there, so he had to link the thread “Time to refocus and clarify GW2’s goals?” for evidence of working hard, and link to another of his own opinion article (which again links to forum posts).

Regarding the 20-30 employees working on the living story, I can’t find the link, but I remember Anet said something about folding their big projects into the living story. Which means things like new maps are worked on outside of the 20-30 employees, then the living story team works on the living story with the map the others have made.
Anet said last year that they have been working on big projects that will appear this year. If some people aren’t impressed by those big projects, then they aren’t impressed by Anet’s big projects.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Of course they are working on stuff.
Like the next 9001 sets of black lion ticket weapons.
Or the next sets 50 of talking backpacks and gathering tools.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Is there any reference of Anet confirming the 20 dev size of Living World Team?

yes. it comes from Angel McCoy herself.

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Enough-of-your-GMPC-please/page/3#post4193277

“Our team changes in size, but there are just a little over twenty people on it at any given time.”

Well, I guess Angel decided to leave out one important piece of information, that team of 20 people is for each episode, and they work on 4 episodes concurrently(or they did, would assume that is still the case, otherwise they would not be able to release them biweekly if it was only 1 team)…which equates to roughly a total of 80 people working on Living World episodes(notice the plural)…and deduct from development staff, your overhead, GM’s, customer service, IT/network people, communication staff. etc. So it’s quite possible, that after all that, perhaps there’s anywhere from 100 – 150 working on bigger projects…maybe…but things could’ve changed since then.

One more thing, there’s another company up Arena.nets way that’s pretty kitten quiet about upcoming projects too, in some cases…until they’re ready or close to being ready…and they’re pretty kitten ed successful. I don’t think I need to name them either.

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Is there any reference of Anet confirming the 20 dev size of Living World Team?

yes. it comes from Angel McCoy herself.

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Enough-of-your-GMPC-please/page/3#post4193277

“Our team changes in size, but there are just a little over twenty people on it at any given time.”

Well, I guess Angel decided to leave out one important piece of information, that team of 20 people is for each episode, and they work on 4 episodes concurrently(or they did, would assume that is still the case, otherwise they would not be able to release them biweekly if it was only 1 team)…which equates to roughly a total of 80 people working on Living World episodes(notice the plural)…and deduct from development staff, your overhead, GM’s, customer service, IT/network people, communication staff. etc. So it’s quite possible, that after all that, perhaps there’s anywhere from 100 – 150 working on bigger projects…maybe…but things could’ve changed since then.

One more thing, there’s another company up Arena.nets way that’s pretty kitten quiet about upcoming projects too, in some cases…until they’re ready or close to being ready…and they’re pretty kitten ed successful. I don’t think I need to name them either.

Old news, man. They switched from 4 living world teams to 1 long before Angel’s post.
Try to keep up will ya?
They really did switch from 4 to 1 awhile back, not too sure when though.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

I don’t think I need to name them either.

Name please ?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Gemstore armor is “stuff.” Disastrous NPE is “stuff.” Removing portions of the PS is “stuff.” Adding a few lines of code for colored commander tags and golem mastery is “stuff.”

To say they’re working on “stuff” is so little information it’s practically worthless.

Posted by: MikeyGrey.2496

MikeyGrey.2496

Gemstore armor is “stuff.” Disastrous NPE is “stuff.” Removing portions of the PS is “stuff.” Adding a few lines of code for colored commander tags and golem mastery is “stuff.”

To say they’re working on “stuff” is so little information it’s practically worthless.

But there’s so many different kinds of “stuff”. Like all that “stuff” you mentioned. And the “stuff” that no one remembers but was released (coz they said it would be released) = “stealth-ed stuff”. “stuff” that requires team change up to work on = “diversified stuff”. “stuff” that can just never be finished = “infinite stuff”.

LOL I’m getting Unreal Tournament flashbacks… announcements for killing sprees (double kill, triple kill, unstoppable, god-like etc). Imagine saying “infinite stuff” with that same voice-over.

Hmm… well… my point with this post was not to troll (really) but to just lighten the mood a bit. If more content is released, great… enjoy. If not, oh well… move on. Either way, most of us really aren’t in any position to change anything and blaming anyone (even anet) with the little-to-no info that we have won’t do any good. Enjoy what is coz nothing lasts forever.

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind

Khisanth.2948

Of course it was released! It was… y’know, that stuff. That got put into the game. You know the stuff.

The best part about being vague about exciting stuff and things that you’re putting into the game is that one cannot claim you didn’t put that stuff and those things into the game because you didn’t tell them what stuff and things you were working on.

“Stuff” wasn’t the phrase they used, I just forgot the exact phrasing. I was hoping it was enough of a clue for other people to know what I was referring to.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I’ve lost my faith about expansions, new professions, races, new armors and weapons THAT YOU NORMALLY can buy just like any other stuff in this game, but noooo... either way you have to farm 24/7 in Silverwastes to get a few armor pieces or you have to PvP 24/7... or craft wahtever.

Either way, they’re cancelling every stuff like always and ending up creating some crap instead or just doing nothing.

’’Guild Wars 3, here we come!'’ - Anet Leader’s quote.

Just move on... move on... mov.... mmhh.... urgh.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

Im working on stuff. Working very kitten it in fact. I can’t tell you what in working on but I do read the suggestion box and my PR team tells me this is what you want. I can’t tell you which suggestions I’m working on though. I can tell, however, my target audience should love it! If there are issues with my marketing teams interpretation of your suggestion i can address that and fix it when it’s ready and have given it adequate time develope feedback. In the meantime keep leaving your suggestions in my box, My teams will crunch the numbers to determine the lowest hanging fruit.

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

First off, anyone including this reporter and the OP and those accused of making stuff up are all guilty of assumption and that fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Anet. What amazes me is that people tear at each other every day and either try and prove their view is the right one when the company who knows the answer just sits idly by letting their own community turn to shambles. It’s pathetic to think that their is so little respect for the player base that they cannot trust us with the truth and think that letting this happen is justifiable in the end.

Anet/NCSoft has been the cause of all of this negativity, they brought it on themselves pure and simple so before you run out blaming others perhaps blame should be assigned where it belongs and that’s the company not filling in the blanks left for their community. Please don’t come back with they can’t tell us look at the reaction they got before….well boo freaking hoo, you’re a gaming company it’s to be expected, get a backbone.

It’s so pathetic and I am not participating in this charade any longer, I may or may not stick around but frankly the aggravation of trying to get answers just isn’t worth it, so I’m done posting or caring. If this strategy fails for them I hope the one responsible for the policy never works in the industry again, because its been pure poison on many levels.

Anet’s communication policy is a self inflicted wound they just keep reopening and reopening day in day out. I have the exact same reaction to the Anet “apologencia” who defend the company with “people will complain even if they are open and honest” crap. Seriously, that’s like saying Anet employees have the emotional and intellectual resiliency of 12-year-olds. Complaining customers are part of every business and if that is Anet’s underlying reason for this they do need to grow a spine, suck it up and learn to deal with it.

As for the OP: Personally I don’t doubt they work hard and are always working on “stuff” but so what? By not keeping us even minimally informed about whether what they are working on is something people have been asking for (and no I’m not talking about mounts – things like expansions, guild hall improvements, new pvp modes, wvw improvements, fixes to the trait system etc.) OR something that will land like a solid blow to the crotch (new trait acquisition system, personal story “revision,” megaserver and roleplaying, etc.) to one or more segments of their customer base.

Stop defending, stop making excuses and put the blame for the state of the game and these forums right where it belongs: On Anet/NCSoft.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

Palador.2170

Im working on stuff. Working very kitten it in fact. I can’t tell you what in working on but I do read the suggestion box and my PR team tells me this is what you want. I can’t tell you which suggestions I’m working on though. I can tell, however, my target audience should love it! If there are issues with my marketing teams interpretation of your suggestion i can address that and fix it when it’s ready and have given it adequate time develop feedback. In the meantime keep leaving your suggestions in my box, My teams will crunch the numbers to determine the lowest hanging fruit.

I laughed. It was bitter laughter, but I still laughed.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Keep in mind that the reporter may very well know more than is in the article, but have agreed to keep mum as a condition of viewing the “stuff.” So the article can’t be detailed yet remains positive and excited.

I’m still willing to wait and see what comes during and after the holidays.

Posted by: Goose.5196

Goose.5196

Well, good thing they are keeping everything under wraps. I mean, at least when they finally release an expansion, if they ever do, they can say “Even though 70% of our player base has already left and will not return, we didn’t let them down by communicating.” By not communicating, they essentially keep from having to deal with deadlines. If we don’t know about it, we can’t get disappointed right?

I don’t want more things to get, I want more things to do.

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Adding a few lines of code for colored commander tags and golem mastery is “stuff.”

Off topic:
To put it fairly isnt just adding a few lines of code:

First they need to do a brainstorm to consider what the golem mastery must do and how those effects will interact in the game (new strategies, player behavior, etc). Witch must be done for a better perspective for more than one (and posible more than two) anet devs.

As you may know, in a well designed brainstorm after the “lets said ideas”, you evaluate the validity of them and analizate them (creativity then logic).

After that the code is added and they began to test it, witch means several hours of testers and devs playing it. That doesnt means it will be perfect btw, only that it will not be as problematic as a not tested and analizated feature.

My point: “Ok, theres not big actual releases for a big studio like anet, but dont make it sound like its something that petty”.

On topic:

I agree with Vayne that they are making something big; and my believe is they will announce it after the end of LS2, either finals of December or January.

(edited by Lucius.2140)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I guess they have been working on stuff, they did saying during the livestream that the backend for the spvp was completely rewritten. Maybe, just maybe, other stuff is being rewritten as well, but since those things would impact the whole game, they take longer.

I don’t know, speculating at this point (as i agree there needs to be some shakeup soon), and some systems need reworked (coughconditionscough)

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Something big like more gem store sales, lovely