Anet please put warning up

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

It says unique on the ring.

Yeah, I’m not sure what else you want. Should a window pop up every single time you try to buy an ascended trinket. “Ascended items are unique, you can’t use more than one of the same type. Are you sure you want to buy this one?”

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

If you infuse one of the rings, you can wear them both then.

^^^^^ This.

Also the description does say “Unique” which would essentially imply that you can’t wear multiples, however, that isn’t explained anywhere, so I could see how someone wouldn’t notice that or if they did not really know what it means.

But there’s a work-around like TheDaiBish said, so no worries OP.

The “work-around” you speak of only works if you know about it beforehand. I’ll say that I did not and infused both rings, both the same defensive ring, and THEN learned what “unique” meant in GW2. It was a painful learning experience. One that could have been easily avoided.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is giving a good reason for NOT adding a more clear warning on unique trinkets.

Well then that’s a pickle. Personally I wondered why there were two rings with the exact same stats and asked it in /map, got the unique item explanation and made sure to not buy two of the same.

I’m not defending the term Unique, I agree it should be clearer, you aren’t the first person to post this same exact issue.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Funny that you talk about common sense and then make the same mistake you’re trying to put other people down for. I’m not talking about loot Rarity in that post, and wouldn’t even make sense in that context since Exotics and below don’t share the same equip characteristic.

If it were actually unique it would be impossible to buy more than one. and only one person would have it.

It is really rather obvious that a 30+ laurel item available on a merchant is not going to be an item which is a complete one off which once bought, no one else in the game world can own.

Perhaps they should replace “unique” with “one per character”, i’m just somewhat surprised that people can’t work it out for themselves.

Of course it is obvious that a 30+ laurel item is not truly unique as the option to buy more , assuming one has a sufficient stockpile of laurels available, remains after the first purchase. This demonstrates that the item is not unique and that GW2 uses the term outside of its actual definition, perhaps as a proper noun or a technical term. In such a situation GW2 should define the term in a manner that is accessible to the player, without requiring the player to go beyond the bounds of the game.

There is nothing wrong with borrowing a word that does not quite fit the usage for use as a technical term in order to avoid having to use a more lengthy phrase, particularly in something like an item description where space is at a premium. But, defining the term for the user is a necessary step.

Kal Spiro.9745

It’s a really small tag at the bottom of the stats, barely noticeable. And how are people supposed to know what this ‘unique’ tag actually means?

It’s called paying attention, reading something and applying common sense. But no, there should clearly be a fifteen page PDF guide to walk people through this.

Not really. If you have ever played Diablo 2 there was for example the famous “uniqe” Ring “Stone of Jordan”, and you could without problems wear 2 of them. So as an old Diablo Player you simply don’t expect that just from the word “unique”.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/urings.shtml

Sorry if I don’t expect people to take the “lessons” they learned in Diablo to heart in an MMO. One that has nothing at all in common with that game. Here is a better lesson. In no MMO, ever, has the word unique implied you could use more than one of them. In many MMOs you can’t even have more than one of the same unique item associated with your character in any way. Meaning if you have one you can never pick up a second one.

That would probably be the way to do it here too. No warning, just disallow you from even attempting the purchase because you already have the item.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

“Unique” is a text string. It would take them 20 seconds to simply change the string to “You may only equip one copy of this item at a time”.

Boom. Quality of Life change that will save support hours of ticket time.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I must say, i don’t even know the Unique items from other MMOs. In Diablo it was simply more or less what in MMOs is called Legendary or Fabled or whatever.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

^^^^^ This.

Also the description does say “Unique” which would essentially imply that you can’t wear multiples, however, that isn’t explained anywhere, so I could see how someone wouldn’t notice that or if they did not really know what it means.

The “work-around” you speak of only works if you know about it beforehand. I’ll say that I did not and infused both rings, both the same defensive ring, and THEN learned what “unique” meant in GW2. It was a painful learning experience. One that could have been easily avoided.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is giving a good reason for NOT adding a more clear warning on unique trinkets.

Well then that’s a pickle. Personally I wondered why there were two rings with the exact same stats and asked it in /map, got the unique item explanation and made sure to not buy two of the same.

I’m not defending the term Unique, I agree it should be clearer, you aren’t the first person to post this same exact issue.

Yes, I know. Thankfully I was lucky enough that CS fixed the issue for me rather quickly. However they could avoid issues like this from happening in the future by fixing the problem now, before people fall into the same situation.

I’m just sick of the people on this thread that are only here because they enjoy calling other people “stupid” or “lacking common sense”.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

It’s a really small tag at the bottom of the stats, barely noticeable. And how are people supposed to know what this ‘unique’ tag actually means?

It’s called paying attention, reading something and applying common sense. But no, there should clearly be a fifteen page PDF guide to walk people through this.

Condescending remark combined with an exaggeration, typical.

It should be literally stated that you can only wear one. And please be so kind as to keep derogatory comments about so called common sense to your self.

Seriously, you get way too offended over very minor things. Chill out dude.

Laurels do not require running with a party, fractals do. It’s been my experience that most party’s aren’t all that welcoming to players who do not live and breath whatever dungeon path or fractal and know the strategies as 2nd nature. So while FotM 1 may be trivial to you it can be quite the demeaning experience for someone less skilled.

Nobody has been chewed out for not completing their daily.

FOTM is for complete noobs to fractals, that’s what it’s for, to teach people how to do fractals. No one is going to give anyone a hard time for not knowing what to do at this level, it’s pretty much expected!

In difference to what many no-life whatevercore players think, this is a game. To the fullest extent of the word “game”, this is it. It is not work. It is not a learning ground per say. It is meant for us to play and enjoy. EVERYTHING I need to know about the game MUST be available for me to learn IN the game.

Sorry, you are dead wrong. It’s impossible to maintain everything you need to know within the game, and there’s this huge wiki hosted by Anet and maintained by players to provide this wealth of information to you for this very purpose. They even have a built in /wiki command, typing in ‘/wiki unique’ would have instantly prevented this from occurring.

(edited by calyx.9086)

Kal Spiro.9745

^^^^^ This.

Yes, I know. Thankfully I was lucky enough that CS fixed the issue for me rather quickly. However they could avoid issues like this from happening in the future by fixing the problem now, before people fall into the same situation.

I’m just sick of the people on this thread that are only here because they enjoy calling other people “stupid” or “lacking common sense”.

More probably they are here because they have played other MMOs, and experienced unique items. As such they understand what unique means in the context of the genre. It is common knowledge to them, and therefore it should fall under common sense to make use of it.

This precludes those who have not run into this kind of item before for whatever reason. There is a first time for everything and it’s a learning experience. I’m a fan of learning experiences like this, I don’t like coddling people. You made a mistake because you didn’t understand something. You won’t make that mistake again. You’ve complained about it publicly, so now maybe even more people won’t make that mistake using you as an example. Everyone “wins” in a sense, and now ANet doesn’t have to be bothered to do anything.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I don’t see where an argument is popping up here. Why can’t we all just agree that putting a little more information or warning on “unique” ascended trinkets is a good idea?

Instead we have people coming on this thread just to say “you should have known better”. How very constructive.

Mostly because if people fail to read the section in the item description regarding RESTRICTIONS when it simply says “unique,” they are just as likely to fail to read an expanded information line.

You have to know that is BS.

I was a victim of this myself. I saw “unique” but was totally unaware that a character could only equip one, though could buy two. Just because you and others understood it, doesn’t mean everyone does – as this thread shows.

Again having ArenaNet put a more clear warning on these items does not negatively effect you or others. Its not taking anything away from the game. Its just adding clarification to an item. You and others are just finding enjoyment from kittening at people on this thread…. for what?

Unique.. i.e. – “One of a Kind”.. .. if your were wearing two identical unique items then how can they possibly be one of a kind?? … the “Unique” Tag is representative to you not the item across the entire game, otherwise no one else could ever buy, loot, craft or achieve anything you have, which would mean ANET would need to have and endless supply of item type graphic, animation, text, stats etc.. which just isn’t feasible.. therefore Unique is absolutely correct for its use.. i.e. “YOUR” use, however, I do accept ANET need to improve their tag visibility in these areas.

Beldin.5498

More probably they are here because they have played other MMOs, and experienced unique items. As such they understand what unique means in the context of the genre. It is common knowledge to them, and therefore it should fall under common sense to make use of it.

So .. what other MMOs are you talking of ?

I played Lineage2, EQ2, AoC, RoM, AION, RIFT for example, and in none of them exists something like that.

And if unique really means they are so unique the NPC shouldn’t even have a second for sale. Or to go one step further there maybe shouldn’t even be more than one available in the whole world.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

mtpelion.4562

I don’t see where an argument is popping up here. Why can’t we all just agree that putting a little more information or warning on “unique” ascended trinkets is a good idea?

Instead we have people coming on this thread just to say “you should have known better”. How very constructive.

Mostly because if people fail to read the section in the item description regarding RESTRICTIONS when it simply says “unique,” they are just as likely to fail to read an expanded information line.

You have to know that is BS.

I was a victim of this myself. I saw “unique” but was totally unaware that a character could only equip one, though could buy two. Just because you and others understood it, doesn’t mean everyone does – as this thread shows.

Again having ArenaNet put a more clear warning on these items does not negatively effect you or others. Its not taking anything away from the game. Its just adding clarification to an item. You and others are just finding enjoyment from kittening at people on this thread…. for what?

Unique.. i.e. – “One of a Kind”.. .. if your were wearing two identical unique items then how can they possibly be one of a kind?? … the “Unique” Tag is representative to you not the item across the entire game, otherwise no one else could ever buy, loot, craft or achieve anything you have, which would mean ANET would need to have and endless supply of item type graphic, animation, text, stats etc.. which just isn’t feasible.. therefore Unique is absolutely correct for its use.. i.e. “YOUR” use, however, I do accept ANET need to improve their tag visibility in these areas.

There is no definition of the word “unique” that allows it to be correctly used by ArenaNet here.

Basically, they have created their own definition of the word which is “can only have one of your infinite number of copies of this item equipped at any given time” and then expected all of their players to divine that answer through bone casting.

Fact is, they used the word incorrectly and now get to spend hours dealing with support tickets because they haven’t taken the 20 seconds to edit the text string into something that actually makes sense.

Kal Spiro.9745

I played Lineage2, EQ2, AoC, RoM, AION, RIFT for example, and in none of them exists something like that.

And if unique really means they are so unique the NPC shouldn’t even have a second for sale. Or to go one step further there maybe shouldn’t even be more than one available in the whole world.

Hmm… I guess I don’t mean those. That is a very eclectic group of MMOs that no one cares about, so nice name drops. The last time I ran into a Unique item was in TOR before I left for GW2.

Unique, in the context of MMOs, meaning you can only use one. Sometimes you means you can only possess one. That’s all it needs to means. But I agree with the suggestion I’m deciding you’re making. We should remove ascended gear from the Laurel vendors and force everyone to acquire them a different way. Then there wouldn’t be any problems with people trying to buy two of the same unique item, because there wouldn’t be any to buy at all.

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Fact is, they used the word incorrectly and now get to spend hours dealing with support tickets because they haven’t taken the 20 seconds to edit the text string into something that actually makes sense.

Textbook definition does not equate genre definition.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Which tells you nothing, really.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

mtpelion.4562

Which is why they need to explain it better. If everyone who played the game had familiarity with table top game terminology then this wouldn’t be an issue because they’d know what was meant. It really is just a text string that would take 20 seconds to change into something that was actually meaningful to the players who clearly don’t know what it means.

Astralporing.1957

There is no “genre” definition. In fact, while the term is used often in RPG games, it does not have a consistent meaning at all.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Why even have ‘unique’ gear? Hardly seems game-breaking to have two identical rings just because they can have the same infusion.

Beldin.5498

Hmm… I guess I don’t mean those. That is a very eclectic group of MMOs that no one cares about, so nice name drops. The last time I ran into a Unique item was in TOR before I left for GW2.

Unique, in the context of MMOs, meaning you can only use one. Sometimes you means you can only possess one. That’s all it needs to means. But I agree with the suggestion I’m deciding you’re making. We should remove ascended gear from the Laurel vendors and force everyone to acquire them a different way. Then there wouldn’t be any problems with people trying to buy two of the same unique item, because there wouldn’t be any to buy at all.

It is maybe that way in the meaning of SWTOR then, but not in general in the meaning of MMOs.

Scroll also down here to the “unique” level 44 dagger .. oh .. the Guy wields 2 of them.

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

“Unique” has no context in this game.

This – absolutely. It was probably a half-baked idea that made it into production. It adds nothing to the game, as there are multiple items with the same stats. It only adds needless complication.

Remove it.

And soulbound while you’re at it.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

sigh

A little bit of research never killed anyone. Really, it didn’t.

As these are not “soulbound on acquire” there are those that purchase more than one with the intent of giving it to another character. Should the game have to scan your entire account to verify whether you do or don’t have one somewhere, on someone and pop up a message if you do? Personally, I don’t like to be micromanaged. I don’t need the game to hold my hand ask me “You’re sure?” “You’re sure that you’re sure?” “You’re absolutely positive?” Had to deal with that crap in Factions. No thank you to having it here.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Beldin.5498

Why have some people always such problems when others asking for a little more quality of life ? Especially since this thing here also makes a lot of work for the support it should also be in ANets interest to change it, or make it easier to spot.

I bet you also have flamed everyone who asked for a wardrobe or account bound dyes before the feature patch, since that all were such “stupid” things to want.

Or if people want more search option in the TP .. oh my god .. can’t you read and find whats light, medium or heavy armor ? Only “stupid” people will ever need such filters ..

Kal Spiro.9745

Why have some people always such problems when others asking for a little more quality of life ? Especially since this thing here also makes a lot of work for the support it should also be in ANets interest to change it, or make it easier to spot.

I bet you also have flamed everyone who asked for a wardrobe or account bound dyes before the feature patch, since that all were such “stupid” things to want.

Or if people want more search option in the TP .. oh my god .. can’t you read and find whats light, medium or heavy armor ? Only “stupid” people will ever need such filters ..

I think the expectation is that more people understand what it means than don’t. I also question how often it actually comes up, because I assure you if they only change the text it will still be a problem.

The only situation that would work is to disallow anyone from owning two of the same unique item, not just wielding. But that could still be a problem since these items can be altered in the Mystic Forge. So if you alter one, then buy the second, it would work, but then when you tried to upgrade the second it would get screwed up and people would come right back with, “Oh you should have explained it better. Since I already owned two of them I assumed I could and that this line about only having one wasn’t true.”

Azhure.1857

Changing the text to something everyone can understand equally would help avoid future problems. I know it would have helped me avoid a headache and an annoying situation.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I have seen other instances of this on the Accounts forum and a ticket to Support has gotten some sort of “satisifaction” for the player….give it a shot.

Yes, I agree some sort of better information about this limitation should be made clearer for the player to avoid this situation.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Azhure.1857

I did, Grimm, and CS did a good job after only a few days. The point is that they should fix it from happening altogether and not have to deal with support tickets coming in for something they can easily fix.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have no issues with desiring, or having implemented, more QoL things. I was one of the people that asked for account bound dyes and wardrobe functionality (feel free to check my post history). However, even with those, if you didn’t understand how something worked or had a question, you went to look for the answers. You did some research via wiki, you read the blogs, you popped on here and asked questions, hell you asked questions in the game. Thus “a little research never killed anyone”

Ascended shouldn’t be any different, and I see people doing those exact things all the time, but there’s always a few that simply miss the minor nuances. I know when I was looking though the trinkets when they first started releasing them, I at least made note of the term ‘unique’ on them. Which made me go “ok, this is different” off to wiki I went. Yes, a mouse over tooltip that clearly says “You can ONLY EQUIP ONE OF THESE ON A CHARACTER” would probably be good (didn’t have one to begin with, thought they added it though). Still won’t solve some of the underlying issues though.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

On the bright side, at least now ascended stuff is account bound, so you can give the other ring to an alt.

Actually they were account-bound (possibly bind on equip as well but not sure) for a while now. I know since I made exactly the same mistake some months ago, luckily I’ve got alts :P

Astralporing.1957

On the bright side, at least now ascended stuff is account bound, so you can give the other ring to an alt.

Actually they were account-bound (possibly bind on equip as well but not sure) for a while now. I know since I made exactly the same mistake some months ago, luckily I’ve got alts :P

They were bind on equip. And most people found out the problem after they have already bound both their rings.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Happens to everyone… I wasted a month on a useless ring too.