Anet reveal plans for retribution via IGN

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Weirdly it seems Anet dont like their own forum… Considering we have little to no information and i have just stumbled across a IGN article with some revealing info is makes me a sad to think that this place should be first and foremost when giving out information about the game and upcoming updates.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/23/guild-wars-2-gets-new-dungeon-custom-arenas?abthid=517685e36d911bb22800000c

Anyways it seems the major additions will be;

- Custom Arenas (HELL YEA!)
- Spectator Mode (FINALLY!)
- New Dungeon (Ill assume a full one for now but it could easily be a mini dungeon that only lasts the month – Anet if your listening, dont make it mini and dont make it temporary!)
- New WvW abilities and lines
- New guild rush in Frostgorge Sound and 24 new guild trek locations

If it wasnt for custom arenas i think people would have been kitten by this. Custom arenas saves your kitten arena net!

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

Link not working :/

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Maybe the new dungeon is based on the fire and flame theme, and it will reward tokens for those weapon skins…

Posted by: ZenonSeth.5739

ZenonSeth.5739

Take a look to what the links reads (the actual link, not the typed text):
> http%3A%2F%2kitten.ign.com etc etc
I think the forum kitten filter kittened up.

Are ye laughin’ yet?

Posted by: sacredex.2936

sacredex.2936

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Journalists pay good money for information. Arenanet really needs the cash.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Hmm, will this dungeon be time-limited or permanent?
Guru says nothing about time-limited, massively say that it will be time-limited.
Any word from ArenaNet which one it is? ^^

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Weirdly it seems Anet dont like their own forum… Considering we have little to no information and i have just stumbled across a IGN article with some revealing info is makes me a sad to think that this place should be first and foremost when giving out information about the game and upcoming updates.

This has nothing to do with Anet liking their own forum. It has far more to do with Anet playing nice with certain sites. By giving the “scoop” to fan sites, they get people to visit those sites, perhaps even in exchange for commercial consideration, or ad space.

It’s good to keep the fan sites happy. The information was posted here on the forums anyway, right?

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

WOOOOOOOOO I am PUMPED!

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Sounds pretty good.

And if a.net gets some ad space out of a deal with IGN … win-win right.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Journalists pay good money for information. Arenanet really needs the cash.

What makes you say that? There has been no evidence that Anet is cash-strapped. Sure, people have quit, but “quitting” is a meaningless term in a business model that not only allows, but encourages you put down the game and pick it back up as you please. The gem store is the only deciding factor here, and there is no evidence that it isn’t doing well.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

This has nothing to do with Anet liking their own forum. It has far more to do with Anet playing nice with certain sites. By giving the “scoop” to fan sites, they get people to visit those sites, perhaps even in exchange for commercial consideration, or ad space.

It’s good to keep the fan sites happy. The information was posted here on the forums anyway, right?

Giving scoops is fine. But there is no reason why the GW2 players should have to search for the info. The forums are one of the easiest ways the GW2 dev community has to communicate with it’s players, and there is no reason why the forum mods or community managers can not link pertinent sites and interviews in the News section of the forums.

Players ask why the devs don’t communicate more with the forums, and are told time and again that they don’t have the time to. But yet we see constant interviews, feeds, news stories appear on other sites that the devs have spent hours on. I’m not sure if anyone is asking for exclusivity for the forums, but keeping them in the loop isn’t too much to ask imo. Forgoing your official forums for face time on other sites does more to alienate people than it does to bring a community together.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

We have to purchase a kit from the Gem Store in order to use custom arenas?

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this.

It’s not giving unfair advantages in any way, but I think they are shooting themselves in the knee by not adding it as a free feature, since costumizable arenas in spectator mode could greatly boost GWII’s reputation.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

(edited by Naus the Gobbo.5172)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I hope the new dungeon is really, really, really hard, seriously I want it to be virtually impossible to do…

Anet have been far, far too soft on us with the dungeons they have created so far…

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this. I

It’s not giving unfair advantages in any way, but I think they are shooting themselves in the knee by not adding it as a free feature, since costumizable arenas in spectator mode could greatly boost GWII’s reputation.

I don’t even pvp but I agree with this ^

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

marnick.4305

Giving scoops is fine. But there is no reason why the GW2 players should have to search for the info. The forums are one of the easiest ways the GW2 dev community has to communicate with it’s players, and there is no reason why the forum mods or community managers can not link pertinent sites and interviews in the News section of the forums.

Players ask why the devs don’t communicate more with the forums, and are told time and again that they don’t have the time to. But yet we see constant interviews, feeds, news stories appear on other sites that the devs have spent hours on. I’m not sure if anyone is asking for exclusivity for the forums, but keeping them in the loop isn’t too much to ask imo. Forgoing your official forums for face time on other sites does more to alienate people than it does to bring a community together.

That’s just nonsense. I’m sorry to break it to you but that’s not how business works. Every statement in your post is false.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You don’t have to search for info. In probably one more day, they’d update the page on the website. They just gave the sites a 24 hour exclusive. It’s not a big deal, because you can’t actually play the content until they release it. And someone will find and post it.

killcannon.2576

That’s just nonsense. I’m sorry to break it to you but that’s not how business works. Every statement in your post is false.

That’s nice. Care to explain to me how it’s false? Or you want to just leave that statement out there on it’s own?

killcannon.2576

You don’t have to search for info. In probably one more day, they’d update the page on the website. They just gave the sites a 24 hour exclusive. It’s not a big deal, because you can’t actually play the content until they release it. And someone will find and post it.

It’s still exclusive if they link it. Any explanations why I should have to go to another site about game news? Why isn’t the info on the games very own site?
News is a big deal, maybe it’s not to you?
“Someone” is not the people who are responsible for this site.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

When the patch rolls out later this month, you will be able to purchase a starter kit from the Gem Store that will be used to create custom arenas. Another purchasable item you’ll find are time tokens. These tokens will allow you to add more time to your custom arena rental or to someone else’s if you wish to help support the players you enjoy watching and/or tournaments that you enjoy playing in or watching.

While custom Arenas and such sounds awesome, this what I quoted might be it’s downfall.

But then, it’s all about the price.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

While custom Arenas and such sounds awesome, this what I quoted might be it’s downfall.

It is quite interesting that people seems to react on that since we have known more or less since they mentioned Custom Arenas the first time that it WOULD cost to rent them.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

It is quite interesting that people seems to react on that since we have known more or less since they mentioned Custom Arenas the first time that it WOULD cost to rent them.

I’m not against it, I knew it would cost a little bit extra to rent a server, I’m Ok with it. But as I said, it’s all about the price.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

It is usually all over their twitter.. So really if you are a hard core follower (facebook,forums,news feed, twitter) you aren’t doing any searching. In fact I knew this when I woke up because I had an update on my cell from twitter. Just subscribe to the right people.

Also fansites getting info first is a very common thing for MMO’s. Fansites thrive off of views and this is common place for MMO info.
Twitter
@Arenanet
@GuildWars2
@Massively
@ZamOfficial
@MMOrpgcom

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ArenaNetInc?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2?fref=ts

Plenty of ways to see stuff on the game.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I hope the new dungeon is really, really, really hard, seriously I want it to be virtually impossible to do…

Anet have been far, far too soft on us with the dungeons they have created so far…

I don’t think this dungeon is a good candidate for that. It’ll finish up the story of F&F, so it’s meant to appeal to a lot of casual story-driven players. It’ll also introduce new combat mechanics, it seems, and the sites are stating it’s also meant to reward players by mastering new mechanics. If anything, this seems like it’s on the level of the ascalon catacombs.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

This is going to be amazing!

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Although it sucks, I completely understand charging for custom arena.

Battlfield 3 did the same thing, and nobody complained. You have the arenas provided, so you can still play for free.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Soulcatch.7954

Soulcatch.7954

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it seems like you need an item from the Gem store to create a custom arena which will last one month. Once created anyone can play in the arena without buying a token. If you like the arena you can buy a token and spend it on extending that custom arena for another month.

killcannon.2576

It was all over their twitter.. So really if you are a hard core follower (facebook,forums,news feed, twitter) you aren’t doing any searching. In fact I knew this when I woke up because I had an update on my cell from gw2 twitter.

I have GW2 in my news feed so I get the updates. But again, this just adds more to the fact that the forums aren’t being used effectively by the Anet team. You just added three more things they use more than the forums: Twitter, Facebook( seriously…facebook?), and news feeds. They are using all those, investing time, which doesn’t detract from my statement, but adds to it. Essentially “If you want info from the company go here, here, here, or here. Just don’t go to the forums, because it isn’t there”

Again for clarity, have not said, and am not saying they should not use those sites or services. But that they should link in their Official forums to any pertinent information.

Geotherma.2395

It was all over their twitter.. So really if you are a hard core follower (facebook,forums,news feed, twitter) you aren’t doing any searching. In fact I knew this when I woke up because I had an update on my cell from gw2 twitter.

I have GW2 in my news feed so I get the updates. But again, this just adds more to the fact that the forums aren’t being used effectively by the Anet team. You just added three more things they use more than the forums: Twitter, Facebook( seriously…facebook?), and news feeds. They are using all those, investing time, which doesn’t detract from my statement, but adds to it. Essentially “If you want info from the company go here, here, here, or here. Just don’t go to the forums, because it isn’t there”

Social networks > This forum. And you scoff at Facebook (yes I dislike it too) but it has 1 Billion+ users. Welcome to 2013.

Youtube-1 Billion +
Twitter- 500Million+

Also they do tend to put in the info on the site after the interview has happened. These are different departments, so I imagine they are making sure everything is set up. And then link to the interview later when able. They often also talk about upcoming interviews that haven’t happened yet. So if people are paying attention they know that this and other interviews weren’t really surprises.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

killcannon.2576

Social networks > This forum. And you scoff at Facebook (yes I dislike it too) but it has 800 million users. Welcome to 2013.

Thank you for your point of view that facebook is greater than the forums, and should be taken more seriously than the forums.
Care to address anything I said in my post? About why things should not be linked here by Anet?

Geotherma.2395

Social networks > This forum. And you scoff at Facebook (yes I dislike it too) but it has 800 million users. Welcome to 2013.

Thank you for your point of view that facebook is greater than the forums, and should be taken more seriously than the forums.

Thanks for taking it out of context :P GJ
Social media accounts for a huge number of ad space and information. Far more than this or any forum anywhere. Users of this forums, users of GW2 know that the official pages are also great sources of information. The great number of players are usually internet savvy and use these social media outlets far more than this website/forum. So yes, as far as ads/revenue/information, facebook can reach a greater audience.

And I never said it shouldn’t be linked. I edited my post and explained that.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Looking forward to the new dungeon.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

killcannon.2576

Social media accounts for a huge number of ad space and information. Far more than this or any forum anywhere. Users of this forums, users of GW2 know that the official pages are also great sources of information. The great number of players are usually internet savvy and use these social media outlets far more than this website/forum. So yes, as far as ads/revenue/information, facebook can reach a greater audience.

Didn’t take it out of context, it’s exactly what you said. And you just reinforced it with your follow up post. Does “greater than” mean something else?

Also, would you mind terribly if instead of stating which form of media has greater reach or availability, you would address my actual post? Which is “Why not keep the forums linked in to pertinent information disseminated through other sites or mediums either by url links or reposts?”

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

If the new dungeon is as good as FotM (without the ascended crap) I’ll throw money at you Anet! Also hooray for spectator mode & custom arenas!

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Geotherma.2395

Didn’t take it out of context, it’s exactly what you said. And you just reinforced it with your follow up post. Does “greater than” mean something else?

Also, would you mind terribly if instead of stating which form of media has greater reach or availability, you would address my actual post? Which is “Why not keep the forums linked in to pertinent information disseminated through other sites or mediums either by url links or reposts?”

The web team I’m guessing is responsible for doing this, or devs themselves posting the links. So say that devs can’t currently come on forums and link, then it is the team responsible for updating the news feed. And its not really breaking news if every time an interview happens it is instantly posted on this site/forum. Just makes them look desperate.

On a side note, I think directly linking a website would be showing that Arenanet is giving direct support to that site and/or favoritism. Now if that sit elinks back to gw2, it looks more like massively/etc got a scoop on upcoming info rather than Arenanet blatantly pointing out (hey lets plug this site). But I could be wrong here.

And a third mention(edit), I have noticed when things go on sale it takes some amount of time for the website to show it. Like the pickaxes, discounts, etc. It seems like changes in game to BLTC take some time to reach the website, so maybe the website team is very busy if the last few things I’ve noticed have taken several hours to be mentioned in forums/website.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Most likely a clause in a contract that says they get 24 hours headstart on any information, before it’s posted. It’s a win-win for both companies, and if you care so much about GW2 news, the forums shouldn’t be your only source of information.

RIP in peace Robert

marnick.4305

That’s nice. Care to explain to me how it’s false? Or you want to just leave that statement out there on it’s own?

It’s pretty evident that the top guys in a company work more with potential customers than existing customers. That’s what customer support is for, and you’ll find those plenty on the boards. Almost every company in the world works on that principle.

The reason is fairly simple. Keeping an existing customer costs about 20% of what it takes to gain a new customer. While a single community manager like Gaile or Regina can keep a lot of active players happy, it takes the big guns to get new people to buy the game. That’s what Mike and Collin are for.

It’s just good business practices. Arena.net does it like that, because it works for almost every other company in the world. And even then, arena.net is an exception because Mike an Collin post on the boards too from time to time, that’s pretty unique.

Is that enough of an explanation for you?

Geotherma.2395

Most likely a clause in a contract that says they get 24 hours headstart on any information, before it’s posted. It’s a win-win for both companies, and if you care so much about GW2 news, the forums shouldn’t be your only source of information.

This is another thing I was thinking about.

Posted by: Eyelusion.8205

Eyelusion.8205

It’s a Beta which only the top 50 EU and NA players can do and it costs gems to build and to buy time to play. /not impressed

Ele’s Pwn J00!

killcannon.2576

It’s not. I get most of my GW2 news from other websites, news feeds, reddit, even Facebook. I just think it’s a shame I don’t get more info from here, the forums feel like a wasted opportunity.

killcannon.2576

The web team I’m guessing is responsible for doing this, or devs themselves posting the links. So say that devs can’t currently come on forums and link, then it is the team responsible for updating the news feed. And its not really breaking news if every time an interview happens it is instantly posted on this site/forum. Just makes them look desperate.

On a side note, I think directly linking a website would be showing that Arenanet is giving direct support to that site and/or favoritism. Now if that sit elinks back to gw2, it looks more like massively/etc got a scoop on upcoming info rather than Arenanet blatantly pointing out (hey lets plug this site). But I could be wrong here.

And a third mention(edit), I have noticed when things go on sale it takes some amount of time for the website to show it. Like the pickaxes, discounts, etc. It seems like changes in game to BLTC take some time to reach the website, so maybe the website team is very busy if the last few things I’ve noticed have taken several hours to be mentioned in forums/website.

Thank you for the reply, Geotherma.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

“Each encounter within the dungeon itself is designed to teach players mechanics they haven’t encountered before, from jumping over ground attacks to using pushbacks to knock enemies out of protective auras, culminating in a final battle designed to test players’ proficiency with everything they’ve learnt.”

OK… this holds tremendous promise.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: ExZee.8109

ExZee.8109

Disappointed. Custom Arenas sound like a more personalized sPvP arena. What about PvE/PvP gear choices? Enabling/Disabling foods? GvG? Custom Arena should be a place where everything can be customized, instead of making it nothing more than “host your own tPvP here”.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

For those worried about the cost of the Custom Arenas, if you read the IGN article carefully it states that the purchase is for month long blocks. Seems pretty reasonable to me. They also said that anyone can buy and add time to the arena, so the popular ones will most likely be funded by teams.

Spectator mode will be free.

This looks like a pretty awesome update. Can’t wait to hear more. This is definitely a step in the right direction for GW2 PvP, and the PvE addition of a dungeon will be nice as well.

Geotherma.2395

Disappointed. Custom Arenas sound like a more personalized sPvP arena. What about PvE/PvP gear choices? Enabling/Disabling foods? GvG? Custom Arena should be a place where everything can be customized, instead of making it nothing more than “host your own tPvP here”.

They have been talking about custom arenas for some time now. I think a large amount of people want to make their own arenas catered to their style and rules. It could be fun if done properly.

Posted by: Talloc.6835

Talloc.6835

Still no capes? 2/10

killcannon.2576

It’s pretty evident that the top guys in a company work more with potential customers than existing customers. That’s what customer support is for, and you’ll find those plenty on the boards. Almost every company in the world works on that principle.

The reason is fairly simple. Keeping an existing customer costs about 20% of what it takes to gain a new customer. While a single community manager like Gaile or Regina can keep a lot of active players happy, it takes the big guns to get new people to buy the game. That’s what Mike and Collin are for.

It’s just good business practices. Arena.net does it like that, because it works for almost every other company in the world. And even then, arena.net is an exception because Mike an Collin post on the boards too from time to time, that’s pretty unique.

Not once did I say they shouldn’t post or use other sites.
Not once did you say why they should not link news stories to this site.
I never said that any dev should spend their day answering the forums.
I did say that one of their reasons given that they don’t post is that they say “We are busy working on the game”, but obviously they do have time to answer player questions on other forums, just not this one.
It is not good practice in a mmo to ignore your player base to get new customers, mmorpgs sell by customer word of mouth more than other games genres “Hey, try this game it’s great” is greater than most reviews for most mmorpgs.

You stated everything I said was false, you did not back up that claim. So no, that’s not a good explanation.

Geotherma.2395

Not once did I say they shouldn’t post or use other sites.
Not once did you say why they should not link news stories to this site.
I never said that any dev should spend their day answering the forums.
I did say that one of their reasons given that they don’t post is that they say “We are busy working on the game”, but obviously they do have time to answer player questions on other forums, just not this one.
It is not good practice in a mmo to ignore your player base to get new customers, mmorpgs sell by customer word of mouth more than other games genres “Hey, try this game it’s great” is greater than most reviews for most mmorpgs.

You stated everything I said was false, you did not back up that claim. So no, that’s not a good explanation.

I don’t think marnick was implying you said any of that. He has good points about business models, and the “cost to buy/earn a customer” is something companies do every year if not more often to understand their costs/efficiency. He was just making some good points, of which I entirely agree. No one is saying that there shouldn’t be links, just addressing the reason that perhaps there aren’t any in this situation.

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Anet already announced this way back on this forums. You just need to follow it more.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!