Lol, well maybe you can be!

Fully Operational|80 Guardian – Fairly Operational|80 Mesmer
Ethereal Hurricane|80 Thief – Eaza Hurricane|80 Thief – Forserialmist|80 Necro
Jade Quarry

Another Swimsuit Request!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cyanweapon.7290

cyanweapon.7290

I’m noticing some people vying for it to be a tonic, or that it should be removed if you enter combat (or combat-like scenarios, such as falling).

Now, I don’t know how tonics work exactly. I don’t use’em, myself. They seem pretty pointless. For one, if I’m getting an outfit, I want to pick and choose what pieces of it I’m wearing to make my own look. Secondly, I want the ability to color it and make it distinctly me.

To give a further disclaimer, since the advent of the wardrobe, I’ve had zero (0) access to outfits. So I can’t say with 100% certainty how much you can mix and match ANYWAY.

But the point is, it can’t be something that’s removed in combat. That’s not acceptable, and for a very simple reason: it’s a swimsuit. And SWIMMING counts, in game mechanics, as a combat-like scenario.

Posted by: eth.4619

eth.4619

To give a further disclaimer, since the advent of the wardrobe, I’ve had zero (0) access to outfits. So I can’t say with 100% certainty how much you can mix and match ANYWAY.

Cyan, if you haven’t already, you can take your characters to the black lion armor guy in divinity’s reach, talk to him, and get your old school outfits converted into the new type. They get placed into your outfit selection, at the bottom of the wardrobe menu. Just select it from the dropdown. They are not swapped out when you enter combat and simple replace your armor skins until you toggle it off.

I purchased all the gem store outfits to date, and I always kinda regretted doing so, but with the new patch, I’m glad I did. I don’t have to wonder if they’ll ever put them back up on the gem store like other people who didn’t.

But the point is, it can’t be something that’s removed in combat. That’s not acceptable, and for a very simple reason: it’s a swimsuit. And SWIMMING counts, in game mechanics, as a combat-like scenario.

Exactly, couldn’t have said it better myself. Great point!

Jade Quarry

(edited by eth.4619)

eth.4619

Hopefully we can make this happen!

Jade Quarry

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

IF THEY DID THIS, EVERYONE IN THE GAME WOULD BE RUNNING AROUND IN A BIKINI.

And if they invented CAPS LOCK, everyone on the Internet would be writing in caps.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I would not mind if the swimsuits got removed in combat… wait, you mean as in replaced with armor? That’s boring

So what would the Charr’s look like, especially the female Charrs. o.O

Hopefully just men’s shorts. Or even birthday suit. That the female Charr underwear contains a chest piece despite how many armors bare the female Charr’s chest leaves me sad.

The amount of women player characters running around scantily clad is already disconcerting enough, this idea would exacerbate the problem ten-fold. Pretty sure they’d want to distance themselves from a greater perception of objectification too.

Buh? I’d rather have more options to see the scantily-clad men running around as well. Besides, swimsuits are awesome, second only to skinny-dipping. Take the social justice crusade somewhere else, and revel in the glory of the body of the Iron Legion!

Unfortunately, there are too many prudes afraid of the human body (Who fail to realize that their own prudery and fear of exposure to bare bodies is the primary driving force behind objectification and hypersexualization)

It’d just be something else for the trolls and muppets in WvW to wear.

More color and hilarity in the game is always a bonus.

IF THEY DID THIS, EVERYONE IN THE GAME WOULD BE RUNNING AROUND IN A BIKINI.

VICTORY AT ANY COST!

eth.4619

A champion after my own heart, Sartharina!

Love the response!

Jade Quarry

Sartharina.3542

Oh? Which part?

Posted by: Zahrexsiiszb.8472

Zahrexsiiszb.8472

yea, swimsuit.

Attachments:

eth.4619

Oh? Which part?

The entire thing!

Jade Quarry

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

As long as you can’t use that stuff in combat.

What is the difference between that and a Holiday outfit?

Holiday outfits are clothing one could actually wear in public without being a public spectacle. Try to walk around downtown in a bikini without drawing unsavory attention, or in most cities, without being arrested for indecent exposure.

That’s a valid point, but I still don’t want to see them everywhere. We all know swimsuits if allowed everywhere would be used by players who just think it’s hilarious to stand out, make people feel uncomfortable, or break immersion for other players.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Lishtenbird.2814

Holiday outfits are clothing one could actually wear in public without being a public spectacle. Try to walk around downtown in a bikini without drawing unsavory attention, or in most cities, without being arrested for indecent exposure.

I doubt you can wear a holiday outfit instead of a burqa in certain countries without drawing unsavory attention or without being arrested for indecent exposure. Just sayin’.

And I also doubt you can easily walk around a regular city with a flaming pumpkin on your head or spiky armour with skulls or with a huge executioner’s axe either. Again, just sayin’ since you’re presenting real life comparisons as an argument

Conncept.7638

I doubt you can wear a holiday outfit instead of a burqa in certain countries without drawing unsavory attention or without being arrested for indecent exposure. Just sayin’.

And I also doubt you can easily walk around a regular city with a flaming pumpkin on your head or spiky armour with skulls or with a huge executioner’s axe either. Again, just sayin’ since you’re presenting real life comparisons as an argument

US company, US standards. This game was not only not made in a country where burkas are enforced, so far as I know it’s not even available in any such country.

Similarly, you may not walk around a city in flaming armor or weilding a battleaxe, but you certainly would wade in to combat as such. Similarities and differences based on area is invalid, as the point is not that this isn’t normal in the real world, but that certain things which may be appropriate in one area may not be in another.

cyanweapon.7290

That’s a valid point, but I still don’t want to see them everywhere. We all know swimsuits if allowed everywhere would be used by players who just think it’s hilarious to stand out, make people feel uncomfortable, or break immersion for other players.

I think this is where it’s going to become a matter of opinion.

While I suspect certain players will, indeed, use them as an excuse to be awkward under the premise of it being ohhh~ so funny, I’d rather put the responsibility in the hands of the players rather than make a device faulty from the outset.

Now just bear with me, I think this is relevant.

Terrorism is the use of terror to achieve an ends, whether personal or political. While the most common method found in history is violence, doesn’t it seem like the protests here against this being made into an outfit is out of fear that there’s going to be backlash by a collection of dysfunctional players? Don’t let the fear of a group stop you from enjoying the game, or letting others enjoy it.

tl;dr: If we can’t swim in our swimsuits, the terrorists win.

Conncept.7638

I think this is where it’s going to become a matter of opinion.

While I suspect certain players will, indeed, use them as an excuse to be awkward under the premise of it being ohhh~ so funny, I’d rather put the responsibility in the hands of the players rather than make a device faulty from the outset.

Now just bear with me, I think this is relevant.

Terrorism is the use of terror to achieve an ends, whether personal or political. While the most common method found in history is violence, doesn’t it seem like the protests here against this being made into an outfit is out of fear that there’s going to be backlash by a collection of dysfunctional players? Don’t let the fear of a group stop you from enjoying the game, or letting others enjoy it.

tl;dr: If we can’t swim in our swimsuits, the terrorists win.

The difference is terrorism can be prosecuted, and similarly in game, trolling can be reported. But how on earth is anybody going to report a dysfunctional player for trolling by wearing an item which ANet themselves provided? That’s like reporting terrorists to a government that funds and publicly supports them.

There has to be some kind of control. Personally I’ve always been a fan of just having an ‘RP mode’ checkbox, but Anet doesn’t seem to be considering it as it would lower the visibility, and therefore some would argue value, of gemstore items.

Sartharina.3542

Done on many occasions, neither happened (I got attention, yes, but it wasn’t unsavory). People think public ‘decency’ laws are far more strict than they actually are.

And I find your oppression of other’s playstyles and enjoyment unacceptable. There are several kinds of ‘trolling’. Some is harmful. This is just being the class clown/a goofball. And, I’m kitten sure the developers could find a way to make them look like they belong in Tyria, since the game doesn’t stick to historical fashion anyway.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

Conncept.7638

Done on many occasions, neither happened (I got attention, yes, but it wasn’t unsavory). People think public ‘decency’ laws are far more strict than they actually are.

I said ‘certain’ cities. If you walked around the city I live in in a bikini, you would be arrested. You’d also be near frozen, even in summer, but… anyway.

And I find your oppression of other’s playstyles and enjoyment unacceptable. There are several kinds of ‘trolling’. Some is harmful. This is just being the class clown/a goofball. And, I’m kitten sure the developers could find a way to make them look like they belong in Tyria, since the game doesn’t stick to historical fashion anyway.

If I’m immersed in a good book and someone comes up and tries to take it out of my hands just because their needless want for attention is more important, it doesn’t matter how funny they are I’m not only not going to give it to them I’m liable to tell them to screw off, or worse.

What I’ve asked for isn’t oppressive, as I’ve never state I ’won’t allow’ or even ‘do not want’ swimsuits, I’ve only stated I don’t want them to be everywhere, specifically in places where they don’t make logical sense to be. Allow players to use them everywhere on the other hand, and those who like game immersion will be oppressed, as they will have nowhere they can go to maintain playing how they like and are accustomed to. I am not the one being oppressive here.

Lishtenbird.2814

US company, US standards. This game was not only not made in a country where burkas are enforced, so far as I know it’s not even available in any such country.

Similarly, you may not walk around a city in flaming armor or weilding a battleaxe, but you certainly would wade in to combat as such. Similarities and differences based on area is invalid, as the point is not that this isn’t normal in the real world, but that certain things which may be appropriate in one area may not be in another.

Still, you’re making assumptions of outfit A or outfit B being appropriate/inappropriate in situation 1 and situation 2 based on real life, while all burkas, USA and GW2 are different worlds where defining “appropriate” is set by local governments, devs included And as long as Marjory x Kasmeer romance is totally appropriate in GW2 universe, swimsuits in towns and even battles may as well be despite it be a USA game.

Conncept.7638

Still, you’re making assumptions of outfit A or outfit B being appropriate/inappropriate in situation 1 and situation 2 based on real life, while all burkas, USA and GW2 are different worlds where defining “appropriate” is set by local governments, devs included And as long as Marjory x Kasmeer romance is totally appropriate in GW2 universe, swimsuits in towns and even battles may as well be despite it be a USA game.

Not making any assumptions based on real life. Where is the only place you see NPCs in game wearing swimsuits? At the beach. The game definitely has its own cultures apart from the real world, you’re right about that, but I don’t see a single culture in the game which would wear a swimsuit in to combat. That is what my assumption is based on. Among every culture in the game, swimsuits, seem to be for swimming.

Sartharina.3542

Not making any assumptions based on real life. Where is the only place you see NPCs in game wearing swimsuits? At the beach. The game definitely has its own cultures apart from the real world, you’re right about that, but I don’t see a single culture in the game which would wear a swimsuit in to combat. That is what my assumption is based on. Among every culture in the game, swimsuits, seem to be for swimming.

I think some Norn might wear swimsuits into combat.

cyanweapon.7290

The difference is terrorism can be prosecuted, and similarly in game, trolling can be reported. But how on earth is anybody going to report a dysfunctional player for trolling by wearing an item which ANet themselves provided? That’s like reporting terrorists to a government that funds and publicly supports them.

Exactly.

The point is, the people guilty of trying to lower the level of fun are going to do it either way, by any means they can think of. There isn’t a way to stop it outside of reporting, and the proposed limit has the backlash of hurting the community who isn’t out to ruin your day.

So on the one hand, you have the option to inconvenience trolls by making them double click their tonic every time something aggros at them, while simultaneously chopping the knees off the people who’d want to use a swimsuit like a swimsuit. To clarify, the folks who like immersion – the people like you. On the other hand, you can shrug when you see a bikini chick swinging a sword at Jormag and say, “Them kooky kids,” and not let it get to you.

Make no mistake, you’re letting the dread of a certain group of players potentially going silly with the item put you at odds with the rest of us. Frankly, it sounds kind of like we’re on the same side and want the same thing overall. And it’s true, the weirdos are likely to be awkward with it, sure. But why punish the rest of us for that?

Conncept.7638

Exactly.

The point is, the people guilty of trying to lower the level of fun are going to do it either way, by any means they can think of. There isn’t a way to stop it outside of reporting, and the proposed limit has the backlash of hurting the community who isn’t out to ruin your day.

So on the one hand, you have the option to inconvenience trolls by making them double click their tonic every time something aggros at them, while simultaneously chopping the knees off the people who’d want to use a swimsuit like a swimsuit. To clarify, the folks who like immersion – the people like you. On the other hand, you can shrug when you see a bikini chick swinging a sword at Jormag and say, “Them kooky kids,” and not let it get to you.

Make no mistake, you’re letting the dread of a certain group of players potentially going silly with the item put you at odds with the rest of us. Frankly, it sounds kind of like we’re on the same side and want the same thing overall. And it’s true, the weirdos are likely to be awkward with it, sure. But why punish the rest of us for that?

No offense but that is completely illogical personal bias. Why is your player demographic more important than mine? Why can’t you guys shrug off that it can’t be used in combat? There isn’t really any reason whatsoever, we just want two different things which can’t coincide under the current system, and neither of our playgroups is any less deserving of getting what they want.

Lishtenbird.2814

As I missed the Southsun LS, I currently see NPCs wearing underwear on the beach As well as the skillpoint norn in the snowy onsen in one of the maps. I’ve witnessed the swimsuit minis in the battle several times, I’ve seen more revealing armors on human female than swimsuits, norns have no problems with being cold (and I believe I’ve heard an NPC norn talking about how he hated wearing armor in combat…) and we know that Kasmeer’s dress is illusion and she’s naked lore-wise. I’ve also seen PvP/PvE runs in underwear, though that’s been players… so all and all, it looks more like there simply ain’t a distinctive “swimsuit” concept in a world with underwater areas rather than anyone finds being armourless inappropriate.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Males would probably be wearing those swimming trunks you see that one Charr wear at the beach at Southsun Cove. Though personally I’d prefer a speedo, but that’s because…you know~ <3

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

cyanweapon.7290

No offense but that is completely illogical personal bias. Why is your player demographic more important than mine? Why can’t you guys shrug off that it can’t be used in combat? There isn’t really any reason whatsoever, we just want two different things which can’t coincide under the current system, and neither of our playgroups is any less deserving of getting what they want.

Alright, my bad for thinking we both wanted immersion. Here’s why my demographic is more valuable than yours.

1.) We can’t shrug off that it can’t be used in combat because swimming is considered, by game mechanic standards, to be “combat”.
1a.) It is a swimsuit.
1a1.) Separating these two would make the outfit worthless. As I stated in my first post, “unacceptable”. There are those who would still get it for the sake of having it, but see Point 2a and 2a1.
2.) Not that any more reason is really needed, but your demographic’s position is based entirely on being upset that the object might actually be used.
2a.) Being used by more people means it’s more appealing to the playerbase.
2a1.) This means it’s more money in ANet’s pocket. This is a no-brainer.

There doesn’t even need to be a reason past that. But since I really feel this needs to be hammered in…

3.) Your position is fueled purely on a selfish fear that you might run into someone wearing the outfit in a situation that you personally deem unacceptable, like fighting.

“Bias” seems like a really poor word choice, coming from your position, sir.

(edited by cyanweapon.7290)

Conncept.7638

As I missed the Southsun LS, I currently see NPCs wearing underwear on the beach

Lol, fair point, they’re meant to be swimsuits. :P

As well as the skillpoint norn in the snowy onsen in one of the maps.

That skillpoint is at a hotspring. :-/

I’ve witnessed the swimsuit minis in the battle several times, I’ve seen more revealing armors on human female than swimsuits, norns have no problems with being cold (and I believe I’ve heard an NPC norn talking about how he hated wearing armor in combat…) and we know that Kasmeer’s dress is illusion and she’s naked lore-wise. I’ve also seen PvP/PvE runs in underwear, though that’s been players… so all and all, it looks more like there simply ain’t a distinctive “swimsuit” concept in a world with underwater areas rather than anyone finds being armourless inappropriate.

Minis are, by nature, not invasive or particularly noticeable; hence being termed ‘minis’. Nonetheless, players have complained about them before, along with the backpacks, the My Little Pony Bow, and the Disco Mace. Previous breaks in immersion don’t make future ones any less of an issue.

And there’s a difference armor/clothing and swimsuits. Continuing my previous analogy, in some places if you walked around in a bikini you would be arrested or forced to leave. Walk around in a tube top and shorts cut practically the same size as a bikini? Nobody says a thing. I know, it doesn’t make sense to me either, but it’s true.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

They need to fix the Town Clothes system. I really enjoyed Town Clothes, but there simply wasn’t enough of it to make it a worthy investment.

I would like to see a special tab for this. Put all the Town Clothes, Endless Tonics, Toys, and Minis in a bank-slot that is always accessible anywhere in the world. That allows people to access their junk and actually play with some of the knick-knacks they’ve earned.

Lishtenbird.2814

As well as the skillpoint norn in the snowy onsen in one of the maps.

That skillpoint is at a hotspring. :-/

“Onsen” is a hotspring, just used the word I’m used to :P

Minis are, by nature, not invasive or particularly noticeable; hence being termed ‘minis’. Nonetheless, players have complained about them before, along with the backpacks, the My Little Pony Bow, and the Disco Mace. Previous breaks in immersion don’t make future ones any less of an issue.

But they, so to say, legalize it. And swimsuits in combat are far less immersion-breaking than, say, disco llamas which AFAIK do not even exist in GW2 world.

And there’s a difference armor/clothing and swimsuits. Continuing my previous analogy, in some places if you walked around in a bikini you would be arrested or forced to leave. Walk around in a tube top and shorts cut practically the same size as a bikini? Nobody says a thing. I know, it doesn’t make sense to me either, but it’s true.

Again, following my arguments, I do not see any lore/ethics reasons for people being arrested in Tyria for wearing a swimsuit in town or in combat, unlike in real world; they may not wear it because it is unsuitable to (yet, Kasmeer is fine with it), but not because it’s forbidden.

And I do not think we can reach any kind of compromise on the subject anyway (:

Conncept.7638

Alright, my bad for thinking we both wanted immersion. Here’s why my demographic is more valuable than yours.

1.) We can’t shrug it off that it can’t be used in combat because swimming is considered, by game mechanic standards, to be “combat”.
1a.) It is a swimsuit.
1a1.) Separating these two would make the outfit worthless. As I stated in my first post, “unacceptable”. There are those who would still get it for the sake of having it, but see Point 2a and 2a1.
2.) Not that any more reason is really needed, but your demographic’s position is based entirely on being upset that the object might actually be used.
2a.) Being used by more people means it’s more appealing to the playerbase.
2a1.) This means it’s more money in ANet’s pocket. This is a no-brainer.

There doesn’t even need to be a reason past that. But since I really feel this needs to be hammered in…

3.) Your position is fueled purely on a selfish fear that you might run into someone wearing the outfit in a situation that you personally deem unacceptable, like fighting.

“Bias” seems like a really poor word choice, coming from your position, sir.

You can swim in anything, swimwear is for style, not necessity. You can ignore underwater combat in clothes just as readily as anyone can ignore land combat in a swimsuit.

Entirely assumption on both the second and third point. My argument is not based on anyone being upset, it is based on a group of players not getting out of the game what they consider to be enjoyable. Immersion was spoken of highly and frequently by the developers prior to release, and is a design goal common to any story-driven game. Many players are justifiably expectant that they be able to stay immersed in the game. Magic, fantasy, and in-game culture can explain a lot of things away to maintain immersion, but in this case, not why a person would bring swimwear in to combat on land.

Everyone has their own definitions of fun, a group of players wanting to have fun by being immersed is no more fueled by selfishness and fear than players wishing to have fun by playing off real world culture in game.

And I did not use bias in an offensive way. I think you need to look bias up, as you clearly mistook it in a similar way to racism or sexism which it is frequently connected with. I have personal preferences to how I play, you have personal preferences to how you play, we are both biased in favor of our ourselves. I said nothing offensive, you have sought to be offended and fabricated needless insults because of it.

EDIT: And to Lishtenbird, I know we can’t come to a compromise. That’s kind of my point, under the current system somebody has to lose out, either I’m losing immersion or you guys are losing functionality. I know the games lore fairly well, and there is just no way to justify this in an immersive environment. And I take offense (not from you specifically) to the argument that my playgroup is inherently worth too little to be considered when designing new content such as this.

cyanweapon.7290

@Conncept

I’m not going to quote all that mess. I’m just going to say that anyone who reads back over this will clearly see that you’re contradicting yourself.

There’s no assumption in point 2. More widespread use means more money in ANet’s pocket. You’re worried about the wide-spread use, because to you, that takes you out of immersion.

This topic is asking for the release of swimsuits. You said, yourself, that you’re not opposed to the idea of them. Yet now, your position has switched to what sounds like suggesting the item shouldn’t be created at all, or those of us who want them need to just deal with the fact that they can’t be used in water.

Ridiculous. Purely ridiculous.

But as Lishtenbird said, we’re not going to reach any kind of compromise with you on this subject.

Conncept.7638

@Conncept

I’m not going to quote all that mess. I’m just going to say that anyone who reads back over this will clearly see that you’re contradicting yourself.

There’s no assumption in point 2. More widespread use means more money in ANet’s pocket. You’re worried about the wide-spread use, because to you, that takes you out of immersion.

This topic is asking for the release of swimsuits. You said, yourself, that you’re not opposed to the idea of them. Yet now, your position has switched to what sounds like suggesting the item shouldn’t be created at all, or those of us who want them need to just deal with the fact that they can’t be used in water.

Ridiculous. Purely ridiculous.

But as Lishtenbird said, we’re not going to reach any kind of compromise with you on this subject.

So you have proof that more of the playerbase cares about swimsuits than immersion? No? Then the second point is an assumption.

I stated no such thing at any point, my entire post was about immersion. In fact its obvious you didn’t even read it all. I stated earlier that swimsuits aren’t inherently immersion breaking, only by their implementation could they be. If you can, show me where I stated that swimsuits should not be added.

And yes, it is ridiculous that you could take such offense to someone agreeing with you. Do you enjoy being offended or something? Because I can see no other way one could take offense to what I stated.

Nonetheless, the area I do not and will not agree with you is wherein you state that your playstyle, your enjoyment, your experience is inherently more important than mine, that is both illogical and selfish to the point of immoral. I did not, and would not, say any such thing of you and yours.

cyanweapon.7290

@Conncept

Gone off the deep end.

You’re changing the argument. We were talking demographics. Mine is more important than yours by Point 2 because my demographic gives ANet money. Yes, proof can be provided that money is important. Deal with it.

Your argument is immersion, but with the backhanded approach of saying none of this is necessary. You have the expectation that people will use it in a means that takes you out of immersion. Without coming out and saying it, your suggestion is to not have it until a more peripheral adjustment is made to the core mechanic.

You were not agreeing with me. Your condescending tone may have masked that, to be fair. But regardless, to respond to accusing me of being “illogical”, “selfish”, and even “immoral”, I reference you to the context for which you’re attacking me:

If my demographic wins, ANet makes money. If your demographic wins, it becomes a serious missed opportunity. It’s that simple.

In the interest of avoiding a flame war, I’m not going to respond to you any further. I’d wish you the best of luck, but I sincerely want swimsuits to be successful if they’re ever released.

Sartharina.3542

Males would probably be wearing those swimming trunks you see that one Charr wear at the beach at Southsun Cove. Though personally I’d prefer a speedo, but that’s because…you know~ <3

The problem is fitting a speedo over fur (I imagine the bunching, pulling, and rubbing-the-wrong-way would be painful). But once it’s on, it looks great (But not as great as it does when off, but that’s a different issue)

As I missed the Southsun LS, I currently see NPCs wearing underwear on the beach

Lol, fair point, they’re meant to be swimsuits. :P

Or birthday suits, because swimsuits are a relatively modern invention (Not that Tyria is bound to our historical fashions in any way).

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I suggested swimwear way back when they released the Southsun Island content.
I thought it was breathtakingly disappointing that swimwear wasn’t added in the gemstore for that content release. It’s a real shame and missed opportunity.

cyanweapon.7290

I suggested swimwear way back when they released the Southsun Island content.
I thought it was breathtakingly disappointing that swimwear wasn’t added in the gemstore for that content release. It’s a real shame and missed opportunity.

Indeed!

There were some leaks that suggested they were in the making, too. But they never came out, and odds are, it was because of the way it was coded. Having a swimsuit that vanished in water’s pretty jenky.

But with the advent of the new wardrobe system, outfits no longer vanish in those situations. So a swimsuit is viable! That’s why a lot of us are clamoring for it this summer.

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

Honestly, I would buy this. And a lot of people would too. Then those who don’t like it wouldn’t buy it.

The end result would be, everyone buys it and wears it. This continues for about 2 to 3 weeks and then when the next big thing comes out, the “fad” as it became will die down and people will move on.

The rage and anger against it would only last for about a month before everything is back to normal. It wouldn’t be long term controversial. It would also make sense. It’s not fanservice just for the sake of it.

So I’d say make it, Anet. Don’t let the naysayers deter you. But if the outfits have to be skimpy, make it for both sides. Again, a month after release when the next big Living Story event or the next Item comes out for sale, the trolling with the bikinis would shrink to the point where it’s a rare occurrence.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

You’d look twice and pich your own arm if you saw someone at the busstop or in the supermarket (other then the camping variety) wearing wearing a swimsuit.

You must live somewhere cold all year round or something. I see people in swimwear all the time.

It’s warm enough in summer, usually. I see people in swimming gear on the beach, or at the swimming pool and sometimes a bikinitop near a music festival, but I don’t see people wearing swimsuits in the supermarket, or waiting for the bus or when going to school (200 mtr from my house) or otherwise generally on the street.

I wouldn’t mind if people did, I just don’t see it happening.

Walk around outside a school in a swimsuit and get a visit from the FBI.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Lord Faren’s Underwear skin
Kasmeer’s Bikini skin

There you go anet, two good gemstore ideas, now implement please kthxbye :-)

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Abusive.1849

Abusive.1849

i think the issue with this is that a LOT of people will transmute their default armors into swimsuits. Imagine running Tequalt with half the zerg in swimsuits lol..when you put it that way, its quite fitting since the fight does take place on a beach but imagine doing jormag with swimsuits

Warrior(Main) | Mesmer | Thief
Jade Quarry (NA)

(edited by Abusive.1849)

Sartharina.3542

i think the issue with this is that a LOT of people will transmute their default armors into swimsuits. Imagine running Tequalt with half the zerg in swimsuits lol..when you put it that way, its quite fitting since the fight does take place on a beach but imagine doing jormag with swimsuits

The Norn fear not the cold!

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

How is that any different than fighting in a hot humid jungle while wearing a trenchcoat?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

Yes! Fie to those bathing suits! They totally deserve to be turned into a tonic instead of armor! So much so, that a purring feline youngling would taint half the sentences’ contents!

Now, Tyria is a place of realistic armors and respect. One where nobody would ever put on anything even slightly silly in combat! Those bathing suits don’t even have the required flip-flops of real armor, that you would -definitely- fight Flame worshippers and dragons and icebrood and gunmen with!

And none of armors would ever be silly, ever!

Joke aside though, the bathing suit is -incredibly- pretty and it would be a great item to release. I’d personally put it at the beginning of summer though, partying in Southsun with Kasmeer and Faren.

Pic of sensible armors that are so much better than a bikini has been supplied.

Edit: And no, that is not girls-only. See? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/c/ce/Feathered_armor_human_male_front.jpg/280px-Feathered_armor_human_male_front.jpg

Attachments:

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

Pic of sensible armors that are so much better than a bikini has been supplied.

That middle one would look 70% less goofy if the half a skirt was turned 90 degrees clockwise. Oh well.

I kind of don’t want everyone to run around in swimwear all the time, but some of our armor looks pretty goofy while actually swimming. Having a separate option for swimwear and how it looks would be nice, but maybe limit it to areas in or near water?

Lishtenbird.2814

What’s FBI? Faren’s Brides International?

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

What I’ve asked for isn’t oppressive.

No, but it is intolerant. You don’t seem terribly sympathetic in other people’s choices and options, only your own.

Not even sure why I’m back here. I don’t particularly want bathing suits, but I would never tell people they can’t have them. Honestly, I’d just like my shorts back, and to be able to wear them with whatever shirt and shoes I choose. I’d like them to make more fun shirts, shorts and shoes.

Immersion? When I put my staff away, it hovers 6 inches over my back. I can open a map (presumably on my smart phone?) and then select a designated point on that map to travel to, and then I’m instantly there. Although…sometimes when I get there, I’m in a parallel reality. Or…was where I wanted to get to the parallel reality, and I ended up in the real one? Wait…is the Spock there, or Spock Prime? There’s a giant candy corn outside the orphanage close to where my home is. Where is my home? I’m pretty sure I’m from somewhere. I think I grew up as a noble, must be a nice home! I have a friend that is just a commoner, I wonder what their home is like?

That’s all very relative, now, isn’kitten

I’m sure there’s plenty of room in the world for everyone, and choices and options.

Luckily, ANet, at least now (live team vs development team differences?), would seem to agree with you, as they have slowly been chipping away at what was originally created. Clothing, running animations, anything to keep western children safe to pursue NASCAR and Free Markets and Gordon Gekko and Bernie Maddolf. So, you have little to worry about, it would seem.

cyanweapon.7290

I’m a little fuzzy on the mechanics of an “Outfit” object, but I don’t think you can transmute your armor into one. They just replace the visual of your equipped armor.

That being said, yeah. Them kooky kids will probably do that for a while, until they stop getting a reaction from it. Then they’ll move on to the next thing, or simply stop after realizing fighting a giant monster in an armorsuit just looks cooler.

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

Another vote for this.

Having robbed us of the ability to dress like any of the bathers at Lion’s Arch or Southsun Cove beaches, or be the way the game forces you into, at Pearl Inlet… give us some actual CLOTHING (not tonics) suitable for swimming and basking on a sunny beach!

And please, for Smodur’s sake… make some appropriate for Charr? If you’ve gotta have something to hide the nothing… the default drapey bit isn’t too bad. But dye-able now, please?

eth.4619

You’d look twice and pich your own arm if you saw someone at the busstop or in the supermarket (other then the camping variety) wearing wearing a swimsuit.

You must live somewhere cold all year round or something. I see people in swimwear all the time.

It’s warm enough in summer, usually. I see people in swimming gear on the beach, or at the swimming pool and sometimes a bikinitop near a music festival, but I don’t see people wearing swimsuits in the supermarket, or waiting for the bus or when going to school (200 mtr from my house) or otherwise generally on the street.

I wouldn’t mind if people did, I just don’t see it happening.

wat, no?

Jade Quarry

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

@Thread: Keep it alive

It’s a game… And you have to be atleast 12 to play this game. I think no 12 year old child will be shocked if he/she sees an adult in a bikini.

Sartharina.3542

@Thread: Keep it alive

It’s a game… And you have to be atleast 12 to play this game. I think no 12 year old child will be shocked if he/she sees an adult in a bikini.

No 1-year-old child will be shocked to see an adult in a bikini, either. (And will probably only laugh if they see one without the bikini)