Any plans to bring players back to Orr?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

However, do you call spawning a Champion Risen Spider and multiple Veteran Risen Acolytes in Temple of Grenth against 3 players a “good scaling” example?

A player had been spamming the mapchat for nearly 30min until I decided to help him, along with someone else who tagged along.
We downed Grenth which was easier than I remember it used to be, just to be crushed by this single spider (as if the huge amounts of mobs + the “unknow explodes” wasn’t enough for 3 players to handle).

Then I regret I wasted time and repair going out of my gathering walk to attempt that.

Yeah, that’s really “challenging”…. -.-

It is a fail from Anet’s side. And not a small one..

Posted by: pixieish.9627

pixieish.9627

Here’s my worthless grumblings…

1) Challenge should not mean “Bang you’re dead.”

If I have some big huge nasty monster showing off it’s nasty abilities, I’d actually like a few seconds to appreciate my possibly impending death. For some bloody reason your developers seem to thing that “Oh, and 33% of your guys are dead now.” is a good game mechanic. Take Grenth. “Hey! I’m suddenly in the air and… yep, dead now.” I actually got to help a five man kill Grenth the other day, after spending maybe an hour on doing three tries while our lazy NPC Charr snoozed away. Our glorious reward for taking the time and effort to actually kill the bloody boss while avoiding getting our NPC killed? A blue! Well, wait, I think that other guy got a green. And then we got overwhelmed by spiders afterwards.

Which brings us to point number two…

2) The rewards are probably a complete waste of time, and you might make better gold running around in Queensdale

An hour to deal with some horrible boss that likes to fling you around for inexplicable reasons. Even if we fragged him and the following unhappy swarm of spiders that are appropriately scaled to kill a group twice our size and got a chest with a guaranteed rare, do you know what I could’ve done in that time instead?

Yes, CoF1.

I honestly don’t know why you guys thought that AC was the one that needed it’s difficulty ramped up, while CoF1 is so ridiculously easy that people get kitten y if you slow them down by a minute and kick you. (Of course that’s why I don’t join the zerker$$$$ groups, but I’m tempted to. On my engi.)

Suffice it to say, if I can get a drastically superior amount of rewards doing something ridiculously easy, why would I want to go to drab zone of grey drops?

3) The zone is absolutely bland

I understand that some people like how the zone looks. Sorry, two and a half zones. Let’s see, you have your coral covered something that might’ve been a building, you have your coral trees, and sand. Copy and paste ad infinitum, and there! Or, well, I suppose there actually might be some interesting spots to look at here and there, you just need to organize a group of people to spend an hour trying to unlock it all for the privilege of receiving nearly nothing. And in ten minutes the unlocked stuff gets overrun anyways so you don’t really get bragging rights.

Not to mention that once you’ve seen one Risen, you pretty much have seen them all.

Well, I suppose that Champion Risen Spider was impressive. That is, impressive in how much of a waste of time it was to try to fight it. What’s that? Fight something that spawns a large amount of spiders to tug you around every which way? And their spiders spawn even more spiders? Oh! Oh! And none of the spawned spiders drop anything, so you’re spending, what, maybe 15 minutes for the chance of a glorious blue drop? What fun!

Reiseiji, Guardian, Fabulous Spec
Kaschen, Engi, Nerfed Spec
Devona’s Refugee, recently arrived to F.Aspenwood

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

This just happened. I heard about a “Temple Train” going on in Lion’s Arch, currently doing Lyssa, and decided to join.

I get close to the boss area, and bam, knocked out. Die in 3~4 seconds later.
Checking combat log:

“Champion Corrupted Illusion hits you for 9,211 using Leap.”
“Champion Corrupted Illusion hits you for 4,052 using Ground Pound.”
“Champion Corrupted Illusion hits you for 2,026 using Ground Pound.”
“Champion Corrupted Illusion hits you for 7,184 using Roll Boulder.”

And that because I run with 20.000 Health and 3.000 Armor… this is the epitome of fun.

Why is it that I decided to try this !@#$% place again?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This just happened. I heard about a “Temple Train” going on in Lion’s Arch, currently doing Lyssa, and decided to join.

Checking combat log:

And that because I run with 20.000 Health and 3.000 Armor… this is the epitome of fun.

Ah, I see the scaling fix has reduced the damage of Ground Pound.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Any news in here?

We do not have a lot of “high end” maps yet, so it would be a very good thing, if the existing ones would make sense to visit again (and not only when doing the few bosses).

I still think it’s a bad thing to nerf them before providing these areas with a more incentive system.
And in addition to that another bad thing is to have bugs like the new crippling bug (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Risen-Squire-Bug-Permanent-cripple/first#post2285993) which do not get fixed fast enough.
That’s another way to shoo your players away from Orr. -.-

(edited by Navi.7142)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Based on responses I’m not sure some of you read my post past the first paragraph….I’m agreeing with you, thus the:

“The one thing that’s really missing is the rewards to help make playing in these locations more even exciting and rewarding than they are now.”

And no, we’re not putting in a new currency, we have plenty of those

Not trying to be rude here but you made everything increasingly more tedious and frustrating to do (not challenging) then you made the rewards non existent and no where can be looted to make anything? or even slightly enjoyable rewards wise.

Its really no wonder the zones are quite dead most of the time, i cannot see how this is seen as a good or productive way to have fun..

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

With so many plans to rework existing areas so soon, I’m guessing the budget was axed for new development. Hope things pickup soon.

Dante, you read my mind. The current loot system is comparable to a frat boy on all fours getting spanked with a spiked paddle asking for more. It’s the war games syndrome. “Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.” More use from blue and green items.. O.o what the …

Anet, the loot system at launch was fine, who or whatever made you change it should lose all decision making power. If ESO launced today, we’d lose about 80% of the accomplished players which will cause raiding guilds to implode and make even more ghost towns pop up. You are using the same logic you did in gw1 after factions and look at all the ghost town camps you made. I keep trying to stay positive about gw2, then I read about the future plans and I just want to scream.

Bring back the 6, write more storyline quests and rollback the original loot system, or get ready to be another casualty on the mmo highway to boredom.

Want to know why players go through some areas quickly? They are experienced and can think on their feet. One or two runs and they have a pretty good idea how to beat the bosses etc, because they have played so many mmo’s and console, and single player games you will be hard pressed to create anything they haven’t seen before. It’s the nature of the beast. You can double and triple the difficulty, give the bosses immunity to conditions, crowd control, and so on, and all you’ll do is remove any chance for the other players to EVER see all your hard work. Why does every mmo miss this simple premise?

Guys the loot is imaginary, it doesn’t exist. Stop worrying about it, and to hell with the economy. Honestly if you can solve the economic problems of the world, great. Imaginary economies? No one cares. People are walking away from a game with no monthly fee, box sales are down, and you think making things harder will fix it?

TILT!

Gw1 people hung out, talked, teamed up and had fun. Then you started worrying about loot etc, in all my years of playing it, I never saw and IDS drop, or most of the other “rare loot”. I just shrugged it off, most didn’t. Instead they farmed and farmed, you added anti farm code. The battle raged on and on, and in the end you wasted so much time and money, imagine what you could have accomplished if you just stopped being silly and listened to all the players, they would have said they were bored out of their minds. Finally gw1 became an avatar driven chat. Which was so sad because you created a wonderful world and then took a really bad turn and never got back on the right track. And kitten it you’re doing it again. Einstein described insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Sound familiar?

For those wondering what “scaling” means, it means the larger the group the harder everything gets. Think Grenths temple on crack. Better start saving your gold, you’ll need it for all the repair bills.

Anet, make the game WE want to play, not the game YOU want to play. It’s just that easy.

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

Checking combat log:

Classic example of an encounter which is appropriate to a dungeon where it can be learned and executed, but it totally inappropropriate to an outdoor zone in a game where the expectation is that anyone walking by can join in.

Because this, and a number of other encounters in Orr, are not learnable by someone participating in an encounter dominated by people who know it already, Orr becomes a haves and have nots situation where the group of people who learned it initially can do it (and presumably are motivating the devs to make the encounters even harder and more exclusionary), but no one else is able to develop that knowledge and therefore not just the rest of the population but all new players who join the game after release will simply find Orr frustrating, and leave.

What an avoidable waste of a zone.

What an avoidable waste of development resources.

What an avoidable waste/attrition of customers, given the level of very hard work the developers put into Orr.

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

There was a topic about changing Orr in a PvE version of WvW, with players upgrading fortifications, building siege and all…
It was a great detailed topic with really good ideas. I just hope it get implemented in someway someday…

Ya, I wrote that topic a while ago, together with another one for personal customizations. Sadly it moved to the 2nd page really quick and I feel it was too long for most people to read :P

I personally don’t really like Orr. Mainly I don’t like the enemies. I have nothing against undead, I just like the ones used in GW1 a lot more.
Perhaps making Orr similar to the Underworld, where the mobs actually have a chance to drop high tier crafting materials (e.g. ectos and the sorts).

I do wish to see how Orr used to be before the cataclysm, which would be do-able using the fractals of the mist in one way or another.

(edited by Furesy.6935)

Posted by: sector.5782

sector.5782

Orr is ugly barren. The whole point of everyone’s personal story was to defeat corruption and turn it into nice green area with trees and wild life. But after completing the ultimate goal, zombies are still there and environment has not changed! ANET should do something to convert this area into something more eye pleasing.

Posted by: Darkon Ligator.9342

Darkon Ligator.9342

I think Orr is Great for Farming, the Mat drop is awesome, you can make 5+ Gold in an hour if farming the Tunnel/events. Plus Mats alone are worth it, especially if your speed leveling or working toward crafting Celestial or other High lvl gear. CRIT used to farm it like crazy, wish more Guilds on Isle of Janthir did

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

I dont have any troubles in orr.

The OP simply has to look around him/her. It’s your own fault for bumping into a champion boss mob.
If you paid a little attention you could have:
1. Dodge away
2. Run around the champion

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

Nice job on necroing a 5 month old thread.
I personally really like Cursed Shore, it’s like my 2nd home because I farmed there so much a long time ago. Kinda sad that you won’t see many people there any more, but hey, times change.

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

At least Orr has more people than Southsun. At least the temples occasionally get some activity.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Despite the various tweaks, Orr is still ultimately designed to keep players out, and it still works.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

the dolyak event brought a ton of people to orr, and then it stopped working the day after it came and I havent seen it since

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I liked Orr as well, I found it felt as it should, but I played it at a time when there were lots of people around in all three zones and it was easy to get groups or help. You didn’t need to wait for a certain day of the week for temples to be cleared, there were always groups on the go doing such things. A big part of the problem with Orr and the temples, is the loot. The reward just isn’t there unless you’re after the karma gear. Blues greens and crappy crest isn’t worth the effort involved, when I can make more harvesting one ori node. Back in the early days, say, pre-November 2012, Orr was actually rewarding beyond the map completion rewards. One could expect decent rewards from temples (And dungeons or dragons as well). But last November (2012), all that changed and rewards for nearly everything were nerfed in to the ground. The only people doing temples were those trying to get temple gear and sufficient groups were often just not there. To make Orr even less appealing, later that winter, common farming events, such as Penetent, Shelter, Jofast, and Plinx were changed so that they weren’t worth or were too difficult to farm. The did increase the drop rate of heavy moldy bags, but it just wasn’t near enough to keep people there. By March, or so, last year Orr was essentially a ghost town and not worth going there.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

The OP simply has to look around him/her. It’s your own fault for bumping into a champion boss mob.
1. Dodge away

The point is that a player shouldn’t have to avoid content, but rather be able to do it with a small group (proper scaling) and receive a decent reward compensatory to the effort. Obviously, you’re gonna get stomped by an Orr champ solo. But the encounters should scale properly and the attacks shouldn’t be one-shots. As someone above put it, dungeon mechanics and DE mechanics shouldn’t be the same. Dungeons can be learned. But DEs are fluid, evolving, scaling and getting hit for 25,000hp in a couple seconds is ludicrous.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Retsuko.2035 I don’t think you were ever properly introduced to the OP Risen chicken.

Those were good times… yes good times. Watching a group of players instantly downed and dead from a single chicken shoot egg attack was both hilarious and sad.
When Anet ‘adjusted’ the difficulty of the DE’s in Orr a few things went wrong. Back then the Risen Wraith had both stacks of defiance and a well attack that was both huge in range and did around 8000 dmg per pulse. Run fast as you want you still died. The DE’s were subsequently readjusted.
This thread was one of many that were about the issue. Other threads actually documented the crazy dmg with combat log pics and a field littered with dead player bodies.
Good times.

Nice Necro BTW

borrowed pic:

Attachments:

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

what of cantha and elona?

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

A whole year after liberating Orr from Zhaitan’s menace and it is still the same place… you take a walk in Orr and it feels nothing changed.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

what of cantha and elona?

The y don’t exist! Go back to sleep shhh

We don’t need players back to this undead ridden mess. We need change in Orr, or even better nice to look and play at endlevel maps with solo and group content areas to visit. This little pink island is no option right now. It plays … hmpf.

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Couple of questions:

1) Will we ever be able to explore South Eastern Portions of Orr
2) Will we ever see some portions of Orr “return to normal” after the “defeat of zhaitan”
A) If so, will it be an update new and old players are forced to see, or will it be like GW1 Ascalon, to where once you beat a certain quest/mission you are transported to the new version and you can not go back (exception added for gw2, unless you’re in a party with a person who has not finished the Zhaitan Story )

3) Why not add the other God Temples as events?( Dhuum, and Abaddon )

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Spawne.3128

Spawne.3128

Couple of questions:

1) Will we ever be able to explore South Eastern Portions of Orr
2) Will we ever see some portions of Orr “return to normal” after the “defeat of zhaitan”
A) If so, will it be an update new and old players are forced to see, or will it be like GW1 Ascalon, to where once you beat a certain quest/mission you are transported to the new version and you can not go back (exception added for gw2, unless you’re in a party with a person who has not finished the Zhaitan Story )

3) Why not add the other God Temples as events?( Dhuum, and Abaddon )

That is essentially the biggest problem with GW2 “living world”. The world isnt actually alive. It merely behaves as if it is a game that gets patched alot. None of the dynamic with the personal storyline ever changes the surrounding environment or is the environment in the game ever actually alive. There is no randomness to weather and there are no seasons, and no day/night cycle that actually follow the server or local clocks. The concept of living world really has no depth to it in this game, and im hoping thats something they re-evaluate, not just the fact that the plots of the last living story updates have been terrible.

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

It’s interesting to note how far they’ve gone to nerf the loot there too. Why can’t we have a farmable 80 zone? Frostgorge barely counts, it’s just a champ train. No endgame event cycles that reward you with items you need to get an eventual legendary or skins that require quite a bit of mats.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Leamas.5803

It’s interesting to note how far they’ve gone to nerf the loot there too. Why can’t we have a farmable 80 zone? Frostgorge barely counts, it’s just a champ train. No endgame event cycles that reward you with items you need to get an eventual legendary or skins that require quite a bit of mats.

Two words…“gem” “store”. They don’t want anything in the game to be farmable, they want you to buy gems and they don’t want people concentrating in certain areas. I wonder how long it will be before they kill the champ trains.

The short of it is, giving good rewards in game is counter to people buying gems and before the November 2012 world loot nerf, Orr was simply too profitable. After the nerf, people stayed and farmed events for heavy moldy bags…still too profitable, so they ruined the events. VIOLA!!! Orr is a ghost town and still doesn’t seem to have even remotely recovered other than weekly temple runs some servers do. ANet did it, and it was a conscious effort to get people out of Orr by making it so inhospitable and unprofitable that there was no point to be there.

I’d be willing to bet the only reason they’ve not killed the champ trains yet is that they have a lot time/money invested in to ascended gear and a lot of resistance to the vertical progression from the player community. They want people actually using it, so they’re essentially giving mats away for pretty much free, though getting the craft to 500 is quite expensive. These are essentially T7 mats and should be even more difficult to get than T6, which drop so infrequently it’s stupid, but they’re pretty much giving the ascended mats away. Once ascended gear takes a foothold, the champ trains will be killed in some way and it’ll be back to the normal grind.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I ran through Straits of Devastation last night with a group of about 8 people, trying to figure out how to start the Eye of Zhaitan event. It was actually quite fun, and I went places I’ve never really been before. We got to do some events that nobody does, kill some epic bosses, use some really cool environmental weapons, and explore confusing catacombs. It made me realize how FUN this zone actual can be when you are not alone and getting roflstomped by risen at every turn. There is so much to do, so many places to go, so many events. The only problem is that the events that contest waypoints respawn about every 10 minutes. I got tired of killing the same Risen Acolyte Leader just so people could wp to my group.

The problem is too many people guide their gaming experience based on rewards. If it takes too long to do, or doesn’t drop a chest, they won’t do it. Never mind the fun…who plays games for fun anyways? It’s all about VIRTUAL PROFIT!

Yeah…

Unfortunately, fantasy computer games had their root in DnD, which for many was all about loot. This has been ingrained into MMO players for so long that it will be hard to get shut of.

I don’t think GW1 was about loot. Getting max stat gear was really easy. You worked to get the “skins” (they weren’t really skins) you wanted for the look you wanted or a really rare weapon (e.g., voltaic spear), but that was about it. No, for me the fun was soloing bosses on my 55 monk or with a pair of monks… speed runs. Basically, creative combinations of the skills to do incredible things. That game never got boring for me.

Posted by: Mnemon.6205

Mnemon.6205

Orr is presently a dead place, so it’s not pretty in the same sense as Caledon or Bloodtide, but it is still very visually striking with all the rainbow patterns and monoliths. I love all the concept art of giant Orrian buildings and monoliths, though I’m disappointed I haven’t found the broken skyscraper-like buildings in the Straits of Devastation loading screen yet (are they in Arah?). Going there is an eerie experience, kind of like some of the old Homeworld 1 and 2 levels where your ships (some of which were huge themselves) found themselves around ancient Progenitor ruins that far dwarfed them. I’d like for the undead to finally get cleared out since it’s been a year, but that’s more progression long overdue than the look itself being terrible.

As an example (copy it and put an h at the front there since I think relic shipyards don’t like hotlinking to images): ttp://shipyards.relicnews.com/hw2/images/display.htm?relicectscomp1.jpg

That is space (probably near the core of the HW galaxy given the light) not a structure in atmosphere, the clouds are nebula, and those small things are ships. That is immensity. Orr, especially the Orrian megalith concept art, does something similar.

(edited by Mnemon.6205)

Posted by: lockheedlight.5910

lockheedlight.5910

I like the other zones in GW2 more then Orr. I mean seriously, zombies zombies zombies. Feels like every game has zombies now. And Orr is all browns, dead stuff, the color brown, and more zombies. I don’t mind the zone being in the game, just feels like the least interesting place to walk around.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I ran through Straits of Devastation last night with a group of about 8 people, trying to figure out how to start the Eye of Zhaitan event. It was actually quite fun, and I went places I’ve never really been before. We got to do some events that nobody does, kill some epic bosses, use some really cool environmental weapons, and confusing catacombs. It made me realize how FUN this zone actual can be when you are not alone and getting roflstomped by risen at every turn. There is so much to do, so many places to go, so many events. The only problem is that the events that contest waypoints respawn about every 10 minutes. I got tired of killing the same Risen Acolyte Leader just so people could wp to my group.

The problem is too many people guide their gaming experience based on rewards. If it takes too long to do, or doesn’t drop a chest, they won’t do it. Never mind the fun…who plays games for fun anyways. It’s all about VIRTUAL PROFIT!

Gotta say my aversion to Orr fits quite neatly into the opposite of your point. Rewards are better there (nicer drops for mats etc), but the place is not fun and is ugly to boot. That of course is my personal opinion and others may differ. I’d much rather have more places like Bloodtide coast, where it is bright and sunny.

well with Zhaitan dead, there’s no reason Orr can’t be rebuilt.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

IndigoSundown.5419

I ran through Straits of Devastation last night with a group of about 8 people, trying to figure out how to start the Eye of Zhaitan event. It was actually quite fun, and I went places I’ve never really been before. We got to do some events that nobody does, kill some epic bosses, use some really cool environmental weapons, and explore confusing catacombs. It made me realize how FUN this zone actual can be when you are not alone and getting roflstomped by risen at every turn. There is so much to do, so many places to go, so many events. The only problem is that the events that contest waypoints respawn about every 10 minutes. I got tired of killing the same Risen Acolyte Leader just so people could wp to my group.

The problem is too many people guide their gaming experience based on rewards. If it takes too long to do, or doesn’t drop a chest, they won’t do it. Never mind the fun…who plays games for fun anyways? It’s all about VIRTUAL PROFIT!

Yeah…

Unfortunately, fantasy computer games had their root in DnD, which for many was all about loot. This has been ingrained into MMO players for so long that it will be hard to get shut of.

I don’t think GW1 was about loot. Getting max stat gear was really easy. You worked to get the “skins” (they weren’t really skins) you wanted for the look you wanted or a really rare weapon (e.g., voltaic spear), but that was about it. No, for me the fun was soloing bosses on my 55 monk or with a pair of monks… speed runs. Basically, creative combinations of the skills to do incredible things. That game never got boring for me.

GW did have a loot component. Voltaic Spear runs were one sort of loot quest. People sought Obsidian Armor, Tormented Weapons, etc. However, GW felt different to me than either traditional MMO’s or GW2. Yeah, GW had a fun formula going that GW2 lacks.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

1. Dodge away

You realize the game 5 months ago is not same as now right? Though the drop rate is still horrible as kitten.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: CursedShaitan.9720

CursedShaitan.9720

I’m a little surprised people find orr so “hideous”…. I love the way the coral makes an eerie contrast with all the rot and creates such a creepy forest environment. I have to hand it to Anet, visually its one of the coolest zones i’ve explored in an mmo yet. So much potential. I fear their best work is going unseen day in and out while everyone is running around a leveling zone that’s practically reality by mmo standards. Living in rural northern california kinda takes the wind out of QD sails. Nothing I don’t see everyday. Well, the bugs dont’ get quite as big but you know what i mean.

Posted by: esit.3927

esit.3927

Nice job on necroing a 5 month old thread.
I personally really like Cursed Shore, it’s like my 2nd home because I farmed there so much a long time ago. Kinda sad that you won’t see many people there any more, but hey, times change.

I would rather people dig deep and go back to a 5 month old thread than I would have them create a new one and then get blazed by people saying “this has been said in previous threads” then link the thread. Seems like a lose – lose situation for the person who wants to have his say. I personally think its great that he done it this way creates less OP

Mesket.5728

You kill a champ: 20 secs = 1 exotic bag
You complete an event: 5 minutes? = 1 silver.

There goes your Orr.

If events on high level maps, spawning lvl 84 vets and elites rewarded as much as killing a lvl 15 champ people would go more often to those maps.

The extremely low RNG to get a worthy (above a silver) drop from a lvl 84 NPC make it pointless to go there.

Also, more chained events and less time gated events are needed…. reward more and more as you progress through a chain of events instead of waiting for a timer and spam 1. One leads to immersion and helps the game environment, the other destroys it.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

There goes your Orr.

If events on high level maps, spawning lvl 84 vets and elites rewarded as much as killing a lvl 15 champ people would go more often to those maps.

The extremely low RNG to get a worthy (above a silver) drop from a lvl 84 NPC make it pointless to go there.

Also, more chained events and less time gated events are needed…. reward more and more as you progress through a chain of events instead of waiting for a timer and spam 1. One leads to immersion and helps the game environment, the other destroys it.

Most Orrian events spawn 3-4 + champs when there is enough people. You can champ train in between events, too.

Mesket.5728

There goes your Orr.

Most Orrian events spawn 3-4 + champs when there is enough people. You can champ train in between events, too.

Point being?

Orr is fine because it has lvl 84 champs with a lvl 15 champ reward? and some events as well?

Forget what I said then… Orr is fine! its a harder Queensdale so no change is needed…

Leamas.5803

There goes your Orr.

Point being?

Orr is fine because it has lvl 84 champs with a lvl 15 champ reward? and some events as well?

Forget what I said then… Orr is fine! its a harder Queensdale so no change is needed…

This^^^^This
It’s harder and slower than Queens or FS, for less reward in the same amount of time…this is why no one is doing it. It’s also more difficult to get around since waypoints are quite often contested.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

IndigoSundown.5419

Orr was designed to simulate a war zone. Unfortunately, if one side in a war stops sending troops to the war zone, the other side wins.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I love Orr, and visit as much as possible. When I am able to brig together enough people, the mob loot opportunities are respectable. Unfortunately, event timing was nerfed before there was good data on the effects. Frostgorge Zerg is simple and mindless, like Queensdale.

The emphasis on champion loot boxes leads players to forget that it is possible to acquire much more loot from the mob spawns… Frostgorge has nothing appreciable for mobs.

The biggest loser in Orr is SoD, because it doesn’t offer the same rate of heavy bags that we get in Cursed Shore. Who needs more T5 mats? Not me!

My best idea is to make all three maps into pure level 80 zones and scale up the levels in earlier maps. This gives more variety and challenge for level 80’s, instead of driving them Zerg through the lower level maps.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Orr is my favorite region of the game world. Unfortunately it does not appear that ANet is inclined to do what it would take to get me back there.

Posted by: Brindled.2179

Brindled.2179

With Anet nerfing the event timers and the loot tables in Orr it has made it un-fun. It’s sad that they’ve made their game less fun in places. I guess new players will not know the difference, but for those of us that do it presents disappointment.

Also, their nerfing hasn’t stopped the bots. I’ve been to several different servers and seen the same type of looping bots running through Cursed Shores.

I don’t feel like I expect too much from them as developers, but when they constantly change things in the game where many people used to congregate and have fun, it’s hard to find nice things to say.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

If they make Orr too interesting and profitable, who will populate their precious Living Story episodes?

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Grimlock.4102

Grimlock.4102

Lol 5 month old thread getting brought up >_<

There is those “Do not touch” ground pounders in orr right now so maybe the next living story will bring people back there?

Leamas.5803

Also, their nerfing hasn’t stopped the bots. I’ve been to several different servers and seen the same type of looping bots running through Cursed Shores.

Personally, I never thought the nerfs or DR were there to stop the bots. It just never felt as though it was targeted at the bots. How hard would it be to write some scripts to analyze player movement for patterns and flag them as “suspect”, especially teleporting bots which should be dead simple to identify on the server end? Not hard. The bots are nothing more than a guise to justify the use of DR and loot nerfs to heavily time gate the acquisition of gear. Back when there were A LOT of bots, (Anyone around along enough remembers the groups of naked rangers with bears) and there’s nothing now compared to what it used to be, they did two things. They kept stock in the TP very high and prices down, good for players, bad for ANet and the gem store. When all the bot accounts were killed, you could watch daily as the prices spun out of control. I wish I’d have had enough foresight to buy a bunch of stuff and just sit on it for a year. I’d be rich now. Some things, like some of the T6 mats have increased 1000’s of percent since before the big bot killoff. The other thing bots did was they took the gold they made and sold it to players for about 1/2 of what ANet wanted for the same amount…not really good for anyone for a number of reasons. But what it boiled down to, people weren’t using the gem store. The problem ANet faced was they needed the bots to justify the DR and crappy loot, but they needed to get rid of them to get people to buy gems. That brings us to today where we have a small handful of bots, but not enough to really cause any damage.

Orr used to be VERY profitable, which is why they nerfed it in to the ground. Sadly, the zones are now nearly as dead as their inhabitants. I’ve seen the ground pounders in several zones, including Orr, but with Wintersday just around the bend, when can we feasibly see any real explanation of them? Probably not until mid to late January.

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

I like Orr, always have, yeah it’s a dead zone in more ways than one and the loot isn’t what it should be, it’s a great place to test your build against the high level risen, if you can survive in Orr the rest of PvE zones are a breeze with the exception of that karka filled island…lol. Most of my toons are outfitted in temple exotics that for the most part were acquired after running the event in the given temple to get to the karma vendor, it was great fun and for me one of the most rewarding areas of the game. (as far as a challenge)

I still make a few runs a week through Orr gathering mats and doing events as they pop if the players are there or asking for help, I never see folks doing the champ trains anymore I guess Queensdale is too easy and Orr requires more effort even though the rewards should be better in Orr, it’s not a ghost town on our server (TC) but not the number of players I use to see just a few months ago.

I would like to see it updated/or changed to have better scaling of the loot/rewards and give people a incentive to go to the zone and participate in the events.