Anyone else realize GW1 is the better series?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I’ve stumped and cheered for GW2 forever. All the ideas sounded innovative on paper.

Now maybe I’ve got rose-colored glasses on but I realize GW1 was superior at a lot of things.

1. Why Groups Were Better In GW1

So you had to wait around LF monk in Guild Wars 1. Yep, I was there, I complained about how stupid it was to take 20 minutes to get a monk in GW1. Here’s the reality though, it was an inconvenience, but one that ALLOWED for the group to actually work together once they went into action. I’m not saying group play was hugely dynamic or anything. You did play your static roles and it could be repetitive.

What it was was something real however. When the group succeeded or failed, boy did you feel that.

In GW2 there’s no connection to anything. Even when they try to get us to coordinate for world events, it doesn’t feel much different that herding sheep to a spot. Nobody knows what’s going on in terms of success of failure. It all seems to be happening outside of us, in a dream, while way too many particle effects contribute to the haze of “what exactly is any of this?”

I miss groups that are playing “the mission” or UW or DoA. Back then we weren’t people trying to follow a Dulfy guide, but figured it out together. (Or sometimes failed pretty badly.) It used to be in Guild Wars that any intrepid group of adventurers with a decent use of our skills could make it through all sorts of devious opponents. And, though ranging from mild challenges to extreme ones, it was usually pretty engaging gameplay.

2. Expansions Are Awesome

I’m getting pretty jaded by the GW2 pay model. They’re making lots of money off the store, but the content we are getting is actually very very basic in the gameplay department. I honestly can’t pimp this stuff to people who don’t play. “Ok guys so with this new Lion’s Arch content what you do is basically just run around spamming your bar.” They’ll wonder if I’m crazy and why I play.

We need a revolution for this revolutionary game. We need an expansion that makes grouping real again, and brings a new continent’s worth full of amazing adventures.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Why make that post? Really. This been done over and over with way more complete post. This is getting old.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

GW1 sucked and I only played it for the 30 HoM points rewards.

If you want to play it, it’s still there in all it’s glory.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Guild Wars 1 was better because:
The build system was better and more free-form.
Builds could be changed with max performance in 3 minutes, rather than 3 months.
PvP was far superior, with more mode variety, better competitive support features, and fewer random procs.
Elite skills weren’t arbitrary.
The story was more coherent with major overarching plotlines in Nightfall.
Endgame content felt like endgame content.
Content required build adaptation more frequently than it does in GW2.
Horizontal rather than vertical progression was dominant.
Alliance Battles felt more intense and had a greater impact than WvW.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I think you only feel that no one knows whats going on/are disconnected because you are thinking of the LS/boss events right at release, when literally nobody knows what is going on.

I used to be like you. I would run around following a group of people, try to see if a commander was yelling directions, and then follow along like a sheep. I didn’t know what was even going on.

Then I started to think to myself “maybe there’s more to these encounters than what I am experiencing”. I go online, research the actual encounters, and suddenly it all starts making sense. Oh, so there are X phases, and he uses Y attacks during this phase, and you need to have Z number of people over in this area defending A point, or activating B.

A good example is the Teq fight, or Wurm, or Marionette. When I first did them, heck even the first 3-4 times, I was completely lost, didn’t know how I was contributing, what to do, heck I didn’t even know where people were going. Over time I learned the encounters and realized that it was just me being lazy and not learning the fight beforehand.

Then I started thinking of my old raiding days. I raided pretty heavily, and every raid instance we had to read up on the bosses ahead of time, plan placements, etc. I don’t know why I never thought of doing that in GW2, but trust me, it helps. Tremendously.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Sinzia.1237

Sinzia.1237

GW1 sucked and I only played it for the 30 HoM points rewards.

If you want to play it, it’s still there in all it’s glory.

This. I thought it sucked also

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

In all honesty, I doubt most players actually did everything without a guide. I mean, if you wanted to, you still can. You can get a copy of the map of LA and pen down the locations of rubbles by yourself.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Can’t come to a ‘realization’ that an opinion is true.

I tried to get in to GW1 half a dozen times and couldn’t, the game sucked for me, and frankly… with an account base of a mere six-million over eight years and three expansions, it apparently sucked for a lot of people.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Guild Wars 1 was an awesome game. It also had its share of flaws.

Guild Wars 2 is a good game that is likely to get a lot better. It’s already gotten better in some ways. I like the game more now than I did when I first started playing.

I hated one thing about Guild Wars 1. If you were out in the world, you were out in the world with only the people you brought with you. That alone is enough to make this a better game for me.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Gw1 had better the better story in all ways. Coherent, sense of belonging, sense of purpose, and even a more tangible and lasting effect on the “world” in that many quests in GW1 explorable zones did make 100% permanent changes, that were there every time you went back into an instance. There were SKILLS to choose from. The mini games like the GW1 costume brawl, snowball arena etc were all quite fun.

Gw2 has a nice personal story, but poorly implemented, a horrible, disjointed living story, the devs make interesting new events…but scale them so that they can only be done a couple times a day unless your guild can hard cap their own zone. GW2 is the home of Flamescammed light armor.

Indeed, all they really got right is the general gameplay mechanics. GW2 probably plays close to the pace of many console games, and whether your group is all zerk, all lowbies, or whatever, the pace is generally kept at a good enough clip to keep things from getting too stale.

Having made those comparisons… Between too many “ghosts” and memories from GW1, and those REAL OLD gameplay mechanics, I can’t go back to GW1. I can only hope they choose at some point to start expanding gw2 in the general direction of gw1 once again because right now, it’s looking more and more like any other mmo, just with (for now) uniquely well polished combat and movement mechanics.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I still remember the day I happened to pick up GW1. That game was a pretty big part of my life. Back in the ‘glory days’ of GW1, it was a fantastic game. Not without its flaws but a great game nonetheless. It did some very unique things too.

I think GW2 is very different but also very unique and fun. It’s very easy to look back at years of GW1 with rose tinted glasses and forget all the negative aspects of the game. It’s easy to forget DCing and losing HOURS of progress in whatever content you were playing.

Overall, I don’t think GW2 will ever take the place of the memories I built with GW1, but it can certainly help make some new ones.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

So you have opinion that A is better than B. I too have an opinion that B is better than A.
Might as well add politics and religion to this discussion.

Topic also sounds condescending that if we don’t agree with you..we just have not seen the light yet.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Posts like the op leaves a very bad impression of GW1 players.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, I agree that the experience in groups really doesn’t feel nearly as epic as it did in GW1. Part of this is the homogenization of professions. Yes, it could get a bit dull with how niche/repetitive some roles could be (spamming Healing Party in a Deep run, for instance), but you really felt like you were an integral part of the group in that setting.

Another part of this is the lack if instanced content and the focus on massive open world content. Success or failure of events really feels so arbitrary since there’s so little coordination and even less connection to the faceless mobs that swarm around your objectives.

In an instanced group, you really feel like you’re part of a team where you’re fulfilling a meaningful role.

And I really miss that. =(

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I don’t think those 2 games can be compared. They are completely different. I think that both games are great. I didn’t have a single complaint about GW1. However, I see so much more potential in GW2, I hope Anet will keep working on making it better and better.

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

GW1 is indeed a better game. But it’s also old (as I played it for quite a while and eventually got bored of, like all games), and also took many years to be full of content for players to do.

GW2 on the other hand has a lot of unusual features that you don’t see in other MMORPG. Unfortunately not all of these “fresh ideas” are better than the tried-and-true formulas and can feel like “gimmick innovations”, which are basically doing things differently just for the sake of being different.

Also there’s the issue with Living Story and temporary content. From the look of it ANet is dead set with their strategy… it would be sad to see GW2 in a year or two has very little additional permanent content apart from the current LS chapter.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

GW2 is still in the same series as GW1 in much the way Legend of Korra is to Last Airbender… What’s up with stories that take place many years after the initial story having a lot of potential but lacks in many areas?

Inimicus.7162

I don’t think those 2 games can be compared. They are completely different. I think that both games are great. I didn’t have a single complaint about GW1. However, I see so much more potential in GW2, I hope Anet will keep working on making it better and better.

All the potential I see in Guild Wars 2 is being squandered on personal story and gem store money grabs. They have the base mechanics, and what I want to see is a return to the GW1 level of story telling. I think the OP is partially trying to point out something like that too. The lack of available skills thus far is disheartening, but I think it also allows them to generate more content that won’t be trivialized as easily as say Prophecies content was by content from Nightfall.

Also with the living story, a lot of it does come across as the kind of bungling I associate with trying to probe options in how to build things to bring loads of people together into 1 zone to do something “together” for an end, but also spread them out over the expanse of the zone for any number of reasons not related with the content itself. (The citizens of escape from la…failed cause no snake pliskin theme song btw… is a prime example of zerging 1 spot being less rewarding…a lot less, the wurm and the marionette the same to some degree of success). But overall, while they have probed this for the last year almost now, a lot of other things have suffered a lot. And the living story itself is missing many of the personal touches…those tiny little things that made so many GW1 side events so nice. The story is about others with you kind of being pulled along by them. GW1 story was special because YOU were the focus, and YOU made it happen, you were not constantly someone else’s pawn in all things you did… Made kormir that much worse tbh

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Fun is subjective, there is no way to prove you right or wrong.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Firstly, what is “better” is purely a matter of personal opinion. In all honesty, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 both have their good and bad points. Considering the overall design though, and despite the fact they are part of the same series, the two really aren’t comparable. I’ll say this, I like Guild Wars, and I like Guild Wars 2. But I don’t find one to be “better” than the other.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

As several posters have pointed out, different people look for and enjoy different things. As for me, I tried GW1…several times…just did not enjoy it. I love this game. This, by the way, “proves” nothing…I just happen to like GW2 better than GW1.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I agree, the topic is highly opinionated, as everyone is a little different.

To me, GW1 had a better story – after Factions arrived. I thought Prophecies fell a little flat.

It had better “horizontal” progression and cosmetic hunting…. after Nightfall arrived and brought insignia and inscription slots.

A lot of the ‘it has better’ for me didn’t come until much later in the game’s lifetime. I think GW2 will probably be similar. It’s in its Prophecies stage, to me. It’s still getting its footing, figuring out what it can and can’t do with the new systems. It’ll get better as it ages… kind of like a fine wine.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Inimicus.7162

GW2 is still in the same series as GW1 in much the way Legend of Korra is to Last Airbender… What’s up with stories that take place many years after the initial story having a lot of potential but lacks in many areas?

For one, GW1 ended setting up everything that was to be guild wars 2.. the dragons mostly, the stone dwarves…a few other things.

But then GW2’s writers have otherwise turned their noses at what could have been a few years easily of rich story potential.
Livia and the Scepter or Orr?
Stone dwarves?
Titans?
Abaddon/kormir?
The entire contenents of Elona and Cantha?
The zaishen?
Hall of Heroes?
GUILD WARS (guild vs guild pvp)
I guess the dragons other than Zhaitan chose to settle down…
the zephyrites?

They could have dragged out any of those easily as long and far as they have dragged out scarlet. Also they have done this thing 1 living story at the time like steps, when they could have different metas running at the same time for back story… something GW1 did via quests between missions in factions and nightfall especially (prophesies was 100% open, you could, if you so chose, start as ascalon, and run clear across the map for no reason, or with help complete 4 out of 30-some story missions, and see the end of the campaign)

Also GW1 was loaded with more nice armor designs that have not made it into gw2, or did, but had something added/subtracted to take them from neat to yuck..there are more of these than you might realize.

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

I suspect Ree and Jeff are working on those loose threads or continue to flesh out the other dragons and other backgrounds (they gotta be doing something. Haven’t heard from them in awhile). While Angel and Bobby are current events that with much experimentation are making the in game narrative better and better.

I feel narrative and story telling for both games are on par.

I much prefer the GW2 open gameplay world than private instances.

Anything else aesthetically is subjective and no one is right or wrong… But I prefer the GW2 look overall.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

There’s just too many features not in the game to make it a true Guild Wars sequel.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Oh look, someone else is trying to sell their opinion as fact through poorly construed justifications.
Sorry but I didn’t think GW1 was very good, specifically the combat was absolute trash, but in general there were several elements of the game that I just didn’t find were that appealing/good. That’s not to say it was a bad game, just that it didn’t suit my preferences, an important distinction that people seem unable to make.
Cherry picking strong elements from GW1 and integrating them into GW2 is a great idea, but these blanket “GW1 was superior” statements are getting really annoying.

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

GW2 Better game I am sorry. This is coming from the biggest GW1 fan, keep in mind GW1 got better and better just like this game is DOING. Guild halls did not launch with GW1 either tooks over year with that too. Yes I hear you and I miss some of the obvious great things about GW1
-Templates for builds
-Guild battle system
-Guild Halls
-Amazing combination of classes made you feel unlimited in your set up every character was like different class
-You had to go capture skills
-You did dungeons from place to place (instances) and it was a lot of fun, also ability to use AI instead of finding group

GW1 had almost no end game other than competitive Guild fights and of course the new expansion that came out like every 6 months. Game was also impossible to balance because of before mentioned ability to be dual class.

GW2- Added races, weapons, and the classes are very different to play in a much better graphics system and combat mode. GW2 has a lot of room to grow and is growing give it time.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

GW1 is better to many; GW2 is better to many. There’s no point in arguing back and forth about it, because it will always be a subjective, individual opinion.

Of course I wish that some features made it to GW2 (build templates, Guild Halls, capes, the old zones, etc.) but that doesn’t mean that GW2 is the worse experience for ME in particular. In fact, I may have put more hours on GW2 than GW1 at this point, as much as I like that game too (and not inferring that it MUST be better for that reason for 100% of players.)

Play and let play.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I enjoy the combat in GW2, but I still find myself wishing I could have the freedom of an 8 skill bar fully customized by me rather than being locked into so few weapon sets. The utility skills are the ones I most look forward to using and setting up. It was half the fun for me really.

And of course campaigns! I miss those a lot.

Posted by: PsyOnic.3108

PsyOnic.3108

GW2 is just a completely different game. I also expected a successor to GW1 and I was disappointed. To be honest, the cracks began to show really fast. It could’ve been so much more. But GW2 is certainly not a bad game. People should give up their expectations. You won’t get the old GW1 back. We should all deal with it.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

First, a bit of history: I played GW1 for 7 years. I’ve been playing GW2 since beta1.

GW1 was, for its time, the best instanced game period. Having said that, it was also a grindy game. (flameproof outfit is on.) Once you finished the PvE chapters (which could be done in a matter of a couple weeks if one put his mind to it) then all that was left was a) grinding lightbringer/Asura/Norn/Vanguard/etc. points so you could get shineys and titles, or run endless speed clears of UW/Urgoz/FoW/etc. for ectos/armbraces/whatever. There was Hard Mode and Vanquish titles, but again, it was mostly mindless mob killing for titles. Once you “maxed out” the points, there really wasn’t a whole lot to do except farm mats for whatever skin you wanted, or make endless runs in order to try for (x) named item (Froggy Scepter, anyone?) Even the HoM forced one to grind points for rewards in GW2. I never completed it.

PvP in GW1 was a lot of fun, and GvG was great! I will say that I do wish sPvP was better, and that they’d institute the GvG aspect. I do agree somewhat with the OP in that respect.

GW2 has its flaws. There are things that need to be fixed, and there are tweaks that need to be made. Having said that, it is gorgeous to look at, and really fun to play. “The Grind” for precusors/ascended mats/etc. is not necessary in order to play, and you will not be locked out of any content because you don’t have (X) gear. Saying “You can’t do level 49 Fractals in Exo’s” isn’t true just because you say so. One might not be very good at it, and it’s definitely not easy, but the fact remains, you’re not locked out. In fact, the only gear check in the game is that levied on players by other players.

What the OP (and others) fail to remember about GW1 is that there were some epic fails along the way, massive nerfs to core builds (RIP the 55’s) and some serious issues with bots and hacks.

TL;DR:
Was GW1 better or worse? Who knows. That’s for people to decide for themselves. There are good and bad for both, and neither is better or worse than the other, just different.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I’d agree for some things, but groups suck in any MMO, including GW1. I mained a monk until I switched to Ele/mo (when elemental damage was kitten in hard mode) and Rt/Mo (before resto rits were accepted into the meta) and folks would just freak out at the thought of an ele healer or a rit healer, even though they did the job as well as monks!

If it wasn’t part of the current meta, you could almost never get groups, even if the build you used or came up with later became part of the meta. I joined one as an ele healer, and the group REFUSED to do the content until they found a monk. ‘Oh, but Divine Favor!’ Divine favor is fine, but as an Ele you could use bigger heals because you had the extra energy to pay for them, just like Rits would have bigger heals to compensate for the lack of DF, and with a /mo secondary you could still decurse if you wanted to.

Anyway, the meta was always late to the party, and pugging in GW1 did not reward iterating or innovating. People did not get how builds worked, so instead of looking at an Ele/Mo and going, ‘Yeah, you can heal just as effectively because you’re basically trading your mana pool for Divine Favor’, they’d just say, ’that’s not the meta we need a monk’. Eventually it did get accepted (somewhat) after people realised the problem with Ele DPS in Hard Mode, though until that folks were just like NO ELES and it was like, ‘Dude, you are completely ignoring the fact that Eles, next to Necros, have the best mana management in the game!’

ANet saw enough of this happening, IIRC, that it contributed to the simplifying of skills, because only a tiny portion of us ever actually spent time MAKING the builds that everyone else subsequently used.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

I believe that right now, Gw1 is better than Gw2.

But Gw2 has the potential to be way better than Gw1. I hope that i will be soon true.

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

GW1 was uniquely developed and could only really appeal to a niche base of online gamers. It was amazing and I loved it but I know many people that have played games similar to WoW (the industry standard) and are stubbornly resist to adapt to games like GW1 (mechanically). GW1 was an exception and now in order to gain a wider player base GW2 was created. GW2 is not a successor to GW1 at all. Just in name and lore only.

GW2 is a completely different game mechanically from GW1 and definitely more similar to WoW. Why? Many, many people played WoW or similar games (korean/chinese/japanese F2P mmorpgs), thus being the dominant type of player developers/companies need to appeal to. So it makes perfect sense that Anet decide to shift their focus from a niche group of players to “mainstream” players that would definitely provide them with more revenue.

Like I saw in another thread. Games today are definitely about the money and marketing. They definitely aren’t made for the player anymore.

Either way mmogs will die out once everything switches to mobile gaming….

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Adula.3698

Adula.3698

Gw1 was a much better game. Still is. The game was made back when the idea of most companies was to make a good game.. and hope to make money. Now it’s just companies trying to make money… and hope their game doesn’t suck.

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

Yeah but shifting your game to a mainstream one does not give reasons to flush what was great about its predecesor.

Just look at Diablo 3. It is shifting back in the good direction when the devs started to listen to the players (mostly people who were playing D2 and D2Lod)

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Guild Wars 1 was better because:
The build system was better and more free-form.
Builds could be changed with max performance in 3 minutes, rather than 3 months.
PvP was far superior, with more mode variety, better competitive support features, and fewer random procs.

A lot of GW1 veterans loved this. I personally didn’t. I found the skill hunting to fill out the builds that groups DEMANDED you have was obnoxious.

I don’t know how many times this scenario played out for me:

“Welcome. Do you have [x] build?”
“No.”
gets kicked
“Well fine… what does it take to get this build? Jesus, gotta grab skills from all over hell, because many of them can’t be purchased at a trainer…”
One month later, the meta changes and I get to go skill hunting all over again

It only got worse with Nightfall and EotN:

“Welcome. Do you have [x] build with [insert reputation skill here].”
“Yep!”
“Is it Rank 5 at least?”
“No.”
gets kicked
“Well, fine… what does it takes to get to Rank 5? Oh fer Chrissake… grind grind grind…”

Elite skills weren’t arbitrary.

See above, only made worse because you had to find a specific boss to capture the elite from, some of which spawned randomly (which means there was no guarantee the boss you were looking for was on that map at all).

The story was more coherent with major overarching plotlines in Nightfall.

Odd, I remember Kormir got just about as much hate as Trehearne and Scarlet. I’m dubious about the coherence part as well… there were some truly painful and disjointed elements to the GW1 stories (Abaddon’s corrupting of Khilbron and Shiro REALLY felt jammed in after the fact rather than something planned from the start, for example).

Endgame content felt like endgame content.

You mean artificial difficulty that could only be completed if you had an “endgame guild” or the flavor of the month exploitable build? Then yeah, you’re right.

Content required build adaptation more frequently than it does in GW2.

That is a BAD thing to me. I’m GLAD GW2 dumped that terrible concept.

Horizontal rather than vertical progression was dominant.

I agree for the most part, but that was changing pretty quick by the end of GW1’s run, though. By the time GW2 was announced, if you didn’t have several reputation skills beefed up vertically, the chances of you finding a reliable endgame group was slim to none.

Alliance Battles felt more intense and had a greater impact than WvW.

THIS I can agree with… but that was something introduced with Factions, and was not part of the base game. The PvP part of the game impacted the actual world an immense amount of kitten all until then… and wasn’t revisited in Nightfall or Eye of the North. I don’t even think the bulk of the GW1 audience received that well.

(edited by chemiclord.3978)

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

The issues with Guild Wars 1:

Shadow Form
Ether Renewal working with Protective Bond
Signet of Spirits not being tied to Spawning Power
Obsidian Flesh
Hundred Blades
Vow of Strength (post Dervish change)
Save Yourselves
Pain Inverter
Everyone thinking Ebon Vanguard Assassin Support was a high DPS ability
Assassin’s Promise working with non Assassin skills
People using skills that are 100% from the secondary profession (I’m looking at you ?/Rt people)
Destructive Was Glaive dealing the damage it did, yet not causing Exhaustion (Overcast now, I guess), when comparing to elementalist skills that did LESS damage and still caused it.
Unyielding Aura and/ Healer’s Boon, or kick (Glimmer of Light is best elite <3)

Probably more, but those are what stand out the most. And no, I didn’t use any of the aforementioned skills, I liked using my brain to make creative skill sets and use sets that actually required more skill than pressing “1” and win game. I mean really, if you died with Shadow Form you were pretty bad :p

I also didn’t care for the boring fighting mechanics:

1) Stack here using choke point
2) Wait for tank to ball em up and snare
3) Spike em down

I can go on and on, but this game is a lot more challenging, and I love it for that =)

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

blakdoxa.7520

Shadow Form
Obsidian Flesh
Hundred Blades
Save Yourselves
Pain Inverter
People using skills that are 100% from the secondary profession (I’m looking at you ?/Rt people)
Destructive Was Glaive dealing the damage it did, yet not causing Exhaustion (Overcast now, I guess), when comparing to elementalist skills that did LESS damage and still caused it.

Probably more, but those are what stand out the most. And no, I didn’t use any of the aforementioned skills, I liked using my brain to make creative skill sets and use sets that actually required more skill than pressing “1” and win game. I mean really, if you died with Shadow Form you were pretty bad :p

3) Spike em down

I can go on and on, but this game is a lot more challenging, and I love it for that =)

Someone had to create those combinations in the first place. Thousands of players didn’t just start using them all at once (i.e. became OP overnight). It took effort for people to take the time to create amazing builds. they took off after gaining “exposure.”

Also what’s wrong with using the most effective means to take down an enemy? Also know that you are fighting an AI which are definitely more predictable that humans given their technical limitations.

Anet can not fully comprehend some of the minds behind the characters. Apparently, defiance and one-shot skills say something quite clearly in GW2…

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Shadow Form
Obsidian Flesh
Hundred Blades
Save Yourselves
Pain Inverter

That was a BIG problem with having the number of skills GW1 veterans want. There were so many builds that could completely break and trivialize the content, and every time one hole was plugged it simply opened up a different one. I didn’t like it one bit, and I’m glad GW2 hasn’t gone down that rabbit hole.

3) Spike em down

Well, to be fair, GW2 has a lot of that “Stack ’n Spike” sort of combat as well.

blakdoxa.7520

That was a BIG problem with having the number of skills GW1 veterans want. There were so many builds that could completely break and trivialize the content, and every time one hole was plugged it simply opened up a different one. I didn’t like it one bit, and I’m glad GW2 hasn’t gone down that rabbit hole.

Having a lot of skills was cool and amazing for build diversity.

But the real problem was the “dual profession” system implemented…
Yeah it was completely and totally unprecedented that took Anet by surprise. Don’t ever underestimate your playerbase. There are people that aren’t as smart as the devs and there are definitely people that can outsmart the devs.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

They solved the problem in gw2 by just having ‘mindless spam 1 and regen ’ build with no diversity and no chance of changing ascended gears to change builds without grinding for it, complete with a skill set so limited you can’t change any of them on your weapon.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There is no way that a preference for GW or GW2 is anything but subjective. Ultimately, it comes down to whether the game in question was enjoyable to whoever is posting. My biggest beef about GW2 is that the direction of the game is heavily towards herd content — which was entirely absent in GW.

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 aren’t even in the same genre, so comparing them is utterly pointless. Almost as if comparing apples and oranges.

Guild wars 1 was a successor to diablo 2. The game design is remarkable similar in concept, with a unique skill system and a 3rd person camera added. You gather in towns and venture out into party instanced dungeons, much like say path of exile for example. It was innovative and impressive for its time, it was the sequel diablo 2 deserved, nothing like the trash that is diablo 3.

Guild wars 2 by comparison is an action orientated sandbox mmorpg, it’s not even the same genre. Of course it’s going to be, play and feel entirely different.

Posted by: scimi.3487

scimi.3487

There is a lot I miss about GW1. I miss the good things and even some of the “bad” things. Things I know I’ll never get to do again, and things that should be brought back. I’ll admit it, I was one of those monks. Were they OP? Maybe. Probably. But they were also the most APM intensive, and they rewarded you as such.

A good healer, using the right skills at the right time at a blazing pace could keep a party alive by himself in the hardest content in the game. A bad healer and you wiped in all but the most basic content.

A good 600 that really know the build and variations and used it properly could beat 95% of the hard mode content in the game with just 1-2 heros maintaining prots. A bad 600 couldn’t even do a 6 minute Mount Qinkai run without dying.

A good ROJ… ok yeah, anyone could use ROJ.

Anyway, you get the point. The monk was probably the most versitile class in the game. I think the thing I miss most is the classic 600 run in foundry, changing headlong into 30 top tier enemies and watching them melt while carefully microing and timing your skills to stay alive. I also did at least 50% of my vanquishes for that title using 600/smite, usually with a friend trading off roles, but sometimes with heros.

That is what I miss about GW1. With the right build, you actually felt like a “hero”. It wasn’t enough to just charge into the hardest content with whatever build you threw together. What took a normal party of 8 2 hours could be done in 30 minutes by a coordinated, properly spec’d team of 2-3. Fractals sort of recapture this – I just hope they start to become cost effective. The GW2 Mob mentality just doesn’t do it for me.

What I find ironic about GW2 is that while they migrated content toward more group oriented, open-world activities, they chose to make build options more solo-oriented, mainly with the new healing mechanics. Sure there are some team heals, but they’re mainly small AOE heals. Gone are the days of dropping a targeted heal on a teammate in need. Now you just get to kneel over and rally him when he’s already downed (my least favorite GW2 mechanic btw).

In it’s place you have a system where the most effective way to help your team is by killing things, and thus anyone that is not spec’ed in full zerker with a max DPS is a hindrance. What place is there in this world for those of us who enjoyed the role of keeping the team alive?

Anyway, now on to my true reason for posting. I agree with many of the comments already posted about build templates, GvG, and many other things from GW1 that would be great additions to GW2, and would like to add one that I think would solve a couple problems with the game as it stands today. As someone who started GW1 with Nightfall and probably wouldn’t have gotten into the franchise otherwise, I think the Hero system brought a lot to the game that GW2 could benefit from incorporating.

Sure, it make a bit less sense to have heroes in open world content, although even there I think it would be viable in some cases. In dungeons, though? Give people who hate other people a way to complete late-game content.

At also adds a layer of theory-crafting and build creation to the game, as now you get to not only spec yourself, but try to optimize your team build for the dungeon you’re entering, realizing the handicap of AI.

It would also open up more avenues for story-telling. As a Charr main, I think it would be awesome to be able to build my own warband. Asura could assemble a Krewe, etc. Sure, you sort of do these things already in the personal story to some extent, but then they all just disappear. All the story that you built just goes poof when you join an order. Even that story just gets tossed aside when the pact is formed. The GW2 story just seems to lack direction at this point, especially around character development.

Why not explore and develop those characters further as heroes with their own story quests that you help them with. You already have a potential in in some cases with the groundwork laid by some of the personal stories, or you could just create brand new characters and tell their stories. On top of that, it opens up additional story telling for your own character as he/she assembles his/her group. I feel like the heroes were an integral part of what made the Nightfall and EotN stories so great.

(edited by scimi.3487)

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Enough with these threads. Everyone and their mom already knows that gw1 is vastly superior.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Shadow Form
Obsidian Flesh
Hundred Blades
Save Yourselves
Pain Inverter

3) Spike em down

HB > Glimmer

Been Playing 8 Mesmers lately, rather hilariously easy.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Shadow Form did kinda happen over night, it was perfect the way it was, people needing a brain to use it before the health spike, but people begged for a change so it can be used for farming since many hated the way Assassins felt.

As for Glimmer and HB (Healing Burst I hope), Glimmer was just that skill I found and LOVED, we ALL have that one GW1 skill we love more than any other, don’t you guys deny it

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Yep, GW1 IMO was/is much better in many ways, there are only a handfull of things that blows, but, the good far outweighs the bad. It’s a shame these people tried fixing what wasn’t broken in GW1, the ONLY THINGS I find as an improvement with GW2 is the ability to jump giving us the abilty to traverse rocky areas, the ability to dodge incoming fire, the graphics and the ability to swim and have underwater combat(although it lacks enough of it).

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Yep, GW1 IMO was/is much better in many ways, there are only a handfull of things that blows, but, the good far outweighs the bad. It’s a shame these people tried fixing what wasn’t broken in GW1, the ONLY THINGS I find as an improvement with GW2 is the ability to jump giving us the abilty to traverse rocky areas, the ability to dodge incoming fire, the graphics and the ability to swim and have underwater combat(although it lacks enough of it).

Don’t forget the auction house!