April Fools: Bobble Heads

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KillEveryoneElse.3940

KillEveryoneElse.3940

I know its amusing to some and frustrating for others… but its actually making me very sick. I’ve never had issues with motion sickness in GW2 until today.

I just can’t play like this.

For all of you that are feeding off of the “haters” on this forum thread, does that not mean anything to you? That some of us physically can’t take it as a joke?

Sadly they just don’t care. Even if the issue is serious, you ‘have no humour’ or ‘are a hater’. I’m having medical issues with the prank as well, so I’ve decided not to play today.

Don’t have a choice in the matter. No GW2 today for me either.

You have a choice. It is funny – it seems people take their gaming WAY TOO SERIOUS!!

seems to me the ones taking it to seriously are the ones who are crying because someone else doesn’t like the event.

oh ho ho my character has a large head that’s so funny its amazing… oh wait… its not

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I know its amusing to some and frustrating for others… but its actually making me very sick. I’ve never had issues with motion sickness in GW2 until today.

For all of you that are feeding off of the “haters” on this forum thread, does that not mean anything to you? That some of us physically can’t take it as a joke?

Sadly they just don’t care. Even if the issue is serious, you ‘have no humour’ or ‘are a hater’. I’m having medical issues with the prank as well, so I’ve decided not to play today.

You have a choice. It is funny – it seems people take their gaming WAY TOO SERIOUS!!

Congratulations on taking my last statement out of context for your own personal gain. Its either that or you somehow believe that those of us that are getting physically sick while trying to play the game today aren’t in fact sick — we’re just taking it too serious. Gotcha.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Welcome to the Internet, where everything you do IS wrong.

For the people that are complaining, please take a day off, apparently you really need to.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: SorrowsEmbrace.8120

SorrowsEmbrace.8120

Dat merge…why is the first page about stacking sigils. @-o

~ Zoii

Belzebu.3912

Dat merge…why is the first page about stacking sigils. @-o

OH lol.

A mod probably just misclicked the topic to merge.
The screen they use is usually a check box to pick the main topic and then you check all the other topics that will merge, one of the checks was probably a sigil topic.

Posted by: Frenzify.6832

Frenzify.6832

What I’m starting to find amusing about this is how easily amused people are. Not that being easily amused is a bad thing; I just prefer more intelligence in my humour.

My friend, I do take pleasure in well-executed, clever, complex jokes as well, yet I don’t feel the need to indirectly call others intellectually inferior people just because their tastes in humour are different to my own.
You see, by doing this you do not appear to be smarter, cleverer or more sophisticated. Instead, you look like a stuck-up, pretentious kitten.

Now, if you put some thought into it, you’ll realise that people are just happy that ANET took some of their time to add something wacky to commemorate today’s occasion and are, in turn, expressing their gratitude by sharing screenshots, opinions and whatnot.

In time you will realise that a person’s intellect and cleverness show on their own without needing to foolishly downsize others to demonstrate them.

Well, for starters I don’t actually recall calling anybody intellectually inferior. I do recall saying that the joke lacked any intellectual credit, but hey, let’s just put words in my mouth for the hell of it.
I don’t recall ever saying that if you like this kind of thing then you must be an idiot. All I’m saying is you have to be pretty easily amused to like this kind of thing. I’m sure you can be easily amused and intelligent simultaneously, but there’s no point in denying that this kind of humour is pretty juvenile, and it’s just not to my tastes.

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

I remember one April Fools day in GW1, they swapped characters genders. Male characters were seen as female etc.. It was hilarious..

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

I’ve always had a feeling that many MMO’ers needed to get a sense of humor and go outside once in a while, but this is pretty clear evidence.

Humor is subjective, to say someone needs a sense of humor bc they don’t find funny what you do proves you don’t understand that point.

Or…maybe you truly do have a poor sense of humor? The bobblehead is COMPLETELY benign. Whether you find it funny or not, any reasonable person can see the humor in it.

Belzebu.3912

What I’m starting to find amusing about this is how easily amused people are. Not that being easily amused is a bad thing; I just prefer more intelligence in my humour.

Well … that means absolutely nothing.
Some people ONLY enjoy dumb humor, others only more sophisticated ones. I for one get amused by a huge range of humor, from silly things like this Bobble Head joke, up to things like XKCD and SMBC for example.

Posted by: Naztharius.7639

Naztharius.7639

YESS!!! Thank you so much A-Net! Loving the tears of all these people who are crying that can’t take a joke. They are truly the fools.

This is not a joke is an unplayable game sorry but i didn’t got the joke here with a head that cover all screen.

This is why ANET has implemented a very clean, zoom out function at the roll of a button.

Trust me! ANET has very “big” ideas.

Commander Naztharius – [KWBH]
GM of Kingswood Brotherhood -SBI
Bringer Of Truth

Posted by: Brian.9078

Brian.9078

I got a kick out of this – nicely done!

Attachments:

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

My friend, I do take pleasure in well-executed, clever, complex jokes as well, yet I don’t feel the need to indirectly call others intellectually inferior people just because their tastes in humour are different to my own.
You see, by doing this you do not appear to be smarter, cleverer or more sophisticated. Instead, you look like a stuck-up, pretentious kitten.

Now, if you put some thought into it, you’ll realise that people are just happy that ANET took some of their time to add something wacky to commemorate today’s occasion and are, in turn, expressing their gratitude by sharing screenshots, opinions and whatnot.

In time you will realise that a person’s intellect and cleverness show on their own without needing to foolishly downsize others to demonstrate them.

Well, for starters I don’t actually recall calling anybody intellectually inferior. I do recall saying that the joke lacked any intellectual credit, but hey, let’s just put words in my mouth for the hell of it.
I don’t recall ever saying that if you like this kind of thing then you must be an idiot. All I’m saying is you have to be pretty easily amused to like this kind of thing. I’m sure you can be easily amused and intelligent simultaneously, but there’s no point in denying that this kind of humour is pretty juvenile, and it’s just not to my tastes.

Remember the days when video games were for kids to have fun and not for 35 year old automatons to avoid the real world? Those were the days.

(edited by The Revenant.4970)

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I may have misinterpreted your words, but to me (and others) it seemed that you were indirectly calling others dull-witted. If that was not your intention, then I’ll simply stand corrected and derail the thread no further.

Still, you might want to consider thinking your words a little bit more carefully in the future as to avoid misunderstandings. You and I know how easy it is to start arguments in the internet.

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

Congratulations on taking my last statement out of context for your own personal gain. Its either that or you somehow believe that those of us that are getting physically sick while trying to play the game today aren’t in fact sick — we’re just taking it too serious. Gotcha.

Sigh.
Right?
This is so disheartening.
Most of us merely explained that we thought it was funny, but we wished for a toggle off on it because the movements make us physically sick.
I don’t understand why stating this means we are TOO serious about a game and need to go outside.
I just don’t get it.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

Frenzify.6832

I may have misinterpreted your words, but to me (and others) it seemed that you were indirectly calling others dull-witted. If that was not your intention, then I’ll simply stand corrected and derail the thread no further.

Still, you might want to consider thinking your words a little bit more carefully in the future as to avoid misunderstandings. You and I know how easy it is to start arguments in the internet.

I have gotten into arguments over the internet that went nowhere far too many times. So, yeah, I’d kind of like to avoid that. At any rate, sorry for not being clear. I had no intentions of insulting anyone and I’ll try to make myself clearer in the future.

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

Completely unexpected pranks are the best, and definitely no one saw this coming, I’m loving it!

There IS an option to turn bobble heads off btw, click on the options cogwheel in the top left of your screen, and then click the “exit to desktop” menu item.

There you go, bobble heads off.

Frenzify.6832

Sigh.
Right?
Most of us merely explained that we thought it was funny, but we wished for a toggle off on it because the movements make us physically sick.
I don’t understand why stating this means we are TOO serious about a game and need to go outside.
I just don’t get it.

You know… I don’t want to say “Because it’s the internet” but that’s the only explanation I can come up with. The internet is a place where… Well… the internet is just horrible… Convenient, but horrible.

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

Sigh.
Right?
I just don’t get it.

You know… I don’t want to say “Because it’s the internet” but that’s the only explanation I can come up with. The internet is a place where… Well… the internet is just horrible… Convenient, but horrible.

Nearly the same thing the mister says to me. I suppose I should start expecting it.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Here is something that might help some of you. Not long after you stop complaining about it and demanding some way to toggle it off your horrible nightmare of bobbleheads will be over. It is a done deal, a prank. You can demand this and that all you want and even threaten to go play ESO. Go get something to eat, take a walk, call some friends, read that book you got for Christmas, do anything you can think of, and before you know it the ‘bobblehead horror’ as you know it will be gone. You will wake up tomorrow and your GW2 world will be back in order, your nightmare over.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Cacti Eleven.9135

Cacti Eleven.9135

Oh my. I don’t understand why so many people are upset. I think it’s hilarious and I can’t stop laughing.

Attachments:

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Last comment on this:

I find the bobbleheads extremely funny. Love the humor!

Now, if they would only stop moving. (A simple toggle for those folks experiencing vertigo, video motion sickness, headaches.)

It’s sad to see the number of posters who cannot hold two competing thoughts in their head at the same time: that there are those who find the joke funny and are being physically affected at the same time.

No problem not playing today.

As my earlier post said, relogging does not solve the problem. Not going to change my system date when I have other programs that use it (assuming that would even fix it.)

For those of you not affected: hope all of you enjoy your fun today. Great screenshots.

ANet: next time you attempt something like this, please use a larger pool for focus testing instead of relying on a small group of in-house unit testers. You have now earned a reputation for adding something to an game that makes your customers sick. Does not matter how small that percentage is; that’s not a good marketing message. I’m sure it will not be forgotten, as much as you guys have a reputation for avoiding and brushing customer complaints aside. (At least the physical impacts are not serious enough to warrant legal action- at least this time.) For the sake of the game, please thoroughly concept test next time.

-wobbly bobble-wave

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

how much longer is the bobblehead thing gonna go on for?
i understand that some people like it,
i laughed for awhile but got bored and am looking forward to normal looks again.

JustTrogdor.7892

i laughed for awhile but got bored and am looking forward to normal looks again.

It will be over April 2nd. It is an April fools prank, a 1 day thing.

The Burninator

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

I love it <3 everything looks so cute

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Here is something that might help some of you. Not long after you stop complaining about it and demanding some way to toggle it off your horrible nightmare of bobbleheads will be over. It is a done deal, a prank. You can demand this and that all you want and even threaten to go play ESO. Go get something to eat, take a walk, call some friends, read that book you got for Christmas, do anything you can think of, and before you know it the ‘bobblehead horror’ as you know it will be gone. You will wake up tomorrow and your GW2 world will be back in order, your nightmare over.

Epic post is epic. +1 and good day to you.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’ve always had a feeling that many MMO’ers needed to get a sense of humor and go outside once in a while, but this is pretty clear evidence.

Humor is subjective, to say someone needs a sense of humor bc they don’t find funny what you do proves you don’t understand that point.

Lol, well you have a right to not like it. Of course, I don’t really see much value in some of these overly dramatic complaints over a one day prank in a video game.

My joke, which obviously didn’t work at all, is that well… I think it would be healthy for many to step away one day from the game.

I’d care more if it was something actually offensive, like racism or something. But this is pretty low on the care list.

This guy got it:

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Rifky.9321

Rifky.9321

Here (it’s 22:13) everything’s back to normal already (I did see big heads about one hour ago). I guess it depends on a time zone.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I like it, it’s funny – ish. (Although very ugly for my characters, I won’t be playing today, sadly because of this unless I use my tonics).

I got some very nice screenshots, and it’s really fun. I just can’t play with looking at my characters this silly, so I will opt out on the rest of the day.

In my opinion, they should have done the Gender switch like in GW1, but this is cool too.

Attachments:

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

JustTrogdor.7892

SAB actually did make me a bit nauseous if I played it for extended periods of time but then again a lot of the old 8 bit games did as well when I was growing up. Some of them used to come with warnings for seizures and such. With the bobbleheads, I hardly noticed it because, well I was running dungeons and such and paying more attention to what I was doing than my oversized head.

The Burninator

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Omg feeding off the haters is so much fun! ahaha

I think that speaks volumes about what kind of person you are, getting your jollies from other peoples unhappiness.

I’m getting joy over the over-reaction you guys are having thinking that it is the end of the world or something. Lighten up, or log-off.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Frenzify.6832

Oh, hey there! Have any more disrespectful comments for the forum? Feel free to post more.

(edited by Moderator)

goldenwing.8473

Sorry for the added response:

If you have been keeping up with the latest information regarding Oculus Rift, the biggest challenge they are facing is that a fraction of players get motion sick unless the game developer takes certain precautions.

It is taking them a while to figure out what those precautions are, and how to explain them to game developers.

This is a real issue.

It is not psychological.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hey what? I didn’t get any bobble heads!

I must rally all to my plight of this unfair treatment! After all, I sometimes model my characters after anime ones, and extra large heads should be a feature.

As for motion sickness, I remember getting a lot when I first played the game. Not sure if I got used to it or what, or this is the same thing.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Screen of Lupicus Bobble Head please

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

Rockin my Asuran afro

Attachments:

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

“so much fun”
“amazing”
“hilarious”

Some people are very easily amused.

I guess the saying is true after all `simple minds, simple pleasures.´

Compared to last year with SAB, this years prank is quite pathetic perhaps even lazy.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

goldenwing.8473

Looking at a monitor and claiming that a bobbing head is making you motion sick, yet you can play in WvW where there’s constant movement on screen….is straight up BS.

Science is still working on understanding this phenomenon.

Why do some screen flashes cause sudden seizures and others do not? Has to do with frequency among other variables.

There are players here who happen to be experiencing physical problems with the movement of the heads. And others that are not. Some have history of motion sickness. Others that are reacting to the bobbing heads do not have a history of motion sickness. (The fact that there are three different reported reactions: motion sickness, headaches, and vertigo hint this is more than a simple case of “straight up bs”. It might have more to do with the kind of movement that is occurring, we do not know the exact cause.)

However, reacting or not reacting: all are valid individual experiences. Science understands that individuals will have different reactions to the same stimuli. The experience of one individual does not invalidate the experience of another individual. In either direction.

Denying the existence of these experiences or ignoring them may cause problems for a developer. Some developers are keenly aware of this. Again: see Oculus Rift.

Yes, it would be very easy and satisfying to just brush aside all the customers who are having problems. Until the next time. Not terribly good for long-term business.

Belzebu.3912

Compared to last year with SAB, this years prank is quite pathetic perhaps even lazy.

First of all, last year SAB was not an April Fools joke, just happened to be the same day.
Secondly, like I wrote before, some people just have a larger range of what they find funny. I laugh with silly things like watching Spongebob and I also laugh at XKCD and SMBC comics.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

“so much fun”
“amazing”
“hilarious”

Has nothing to do with simple minds. It has to do with not taking things ‘OH SO SERIOUS!’

It is just a silly little prank – ever have a Bobble head statue? I used to have a Green Bay Packer Bobble Head from the 60’s. This prank brings me back.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

First of all, last year SAB was not an April Fools joke, just happened to be the same day.
Secondly, like I wrote before, some people just have a larger range of what they find funny. I laugh with silly things like watching Spongebob and I also laugh at XKCD and SMBC comics.

OH man – ‘Sponge Bob’ – ’I’M READY! I’M READY! I’M READY!’

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Gimme a kiss!

Attachments:

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The best thing about this change is you can now get a really good view of everyone’s face. It’s the primary thing we can customize at character creation but due to a lack of first person mode we are resorted to standing butt to butt simply to look at a close up of another player’s face.

Only thing I had to do to play is turn off my hat since it’s the size of a beach umbrella now.

Here’s a selfies of my two characters from last night.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

JustTrogdor.7892

Bear hugs for everyone!!!!

Attachments:

The Burninator

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Yes, as I posted a few hours back before the thread merge, this strikes me as the perfect day to get reference screenshots for portraits. The expanded head size is showing eye color, blended skin tones, the works. The detail didn’t go low rez.

… Now I might have to spend time getting profiles as well as fronts/three quarter views.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Claw of Jormag is getting a big head.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

“so much fun”
“amazing”
“hilarious”

I feel sad for you that you can’t find enjoyment in the little things, you must lead a very dreary life indeed.

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

Giant heads.

Not cute, not funny.

Simply lame.

BG

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

My asura is too adorable now!

Attachments:

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Belzebu.3912

Please, someone doing Arah SM post a screen of Zhaitan with giant head.

Posted by: Naztharius.7639

Naztharius.7639

“so much fun”
“amazing”
“hilarious”

Has nothing to do with simple minds. It has to do with not taking things ‘OH SO SERIOUS!’

It is just a silly little prank – ever have a Bobble head statue? I used to have a Green Bay Packer Bobble Head from the 60’s. This prank brings me back.

Why So Serious???

Attachments:

Commander Naztharius – [KWBH]
GM of Kingswood Brotherhood -SBI
Bringer Of Truth