Arena in LA

Arena in LA

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

Remember that arena in LA that was featured in the Edge of Destiny book? The one Destiny’s Edge fought in?

I always thought that should have been a thing in-game and thought it strange that it wasn’t. I mean as far as the book goes, this was pretty recent before the start of the game, not generations / centuries ago. It should have still been there. And it was a pretty major attraction in the city. Wasn’t it something the patrons even placed bets on?

I thought that would have been a cool thing to have in the game, this mini pvp tournament in LA where teams can talk to an NPC and queue up for matches, and everyone else already hanging out in town can watch them like a real audience, and even place bets on which team wins. This could have been a pretty major thing in LA; there’s no way it wouldn’t have been popular, and it would have COMPLETELY fit from a lore perspective.

Granted, after Scarlet’s attack, there’s plenty of reason for it to not be there now. But what about before? And perhaps more importantly, what about the future? I think it’s something worth Anet considering as LA gets rebuilt.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Arena in LA

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

So long as this isn’t yet another ‘can haz duel plz?’ thread, awesome. Could be fun to have a new spvp map themed to this end.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Arena in LA

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

“so long as this isn’t yet another ‘can haz duel plz?’”

My initial thought too…

But cudos. More maps please.!

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Arena in LA

Kartel.2561

My apologies, I’m not sure my post was understood. Did you guys read the book? This is established cannon. It’s an actual place in the city of Lion’s Arch, a rather popular place, an an important one for Destiny’s Edge. This is not in any way a dueling system. Neither is it a whole new map. It’s a very specific place within the city where teams are registered and matched up, while a live audience watches and gambles on it. Also pretty lucrative for the winners of the matches.

Arena in LA

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

So long as this isn’t yet another ‘can haz duel plz?’ thread, awesome.

I think it’s a carefully disguised one.

20 level 80s and counting.

Arena in LA

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

At first i thought this is a thread about ArenaNet conference at Los Angeles, nice.

You know what? I don’t care about duels anymore. I want Polymock.

Arena in LA

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

My apologies, I’m not sure my post was understood. Did you guys read the book? This is established cannon. It’s an actual place in the city of Lion’s Arch, a rather popular place, an an important one for Destiny’s Edge. This is not in any way a dueling system. Neither is it a whole new map. It’s a very specific place within the city where teams are registered and matched up, while a live audience watches and gambles on it. Also pretty lucrative for the winners of the matches.

I wouldn’t complain if they came up with such, but neither would I see it as especially likely to serve the interests of a majority.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Arena in LA

Kartel.2561

I know people are largely against open world dueling (though I really don’t understand why as long as it’s optional, I find it strange people freak out so much about it. I think many confuse consensual dueling with ganking/pk).

But this is not even that. It’s limited purely to one place, purely team based, and it’s registered matches. It’s basically a blend of spvp and the Queen’s Gauntlet. Queue up with the NPC in charge to smash face. Except unlike the gauntlet, it’s team based. And unlike spvp, it has a public audience (and potentially a gambling feature).

LA has always been a place people hang out. Why not give people something of a show to see while there, and the gambling would spice things up as it does with all things. And of course the winning team would get a cut. And again, not like I’m just pulling it out of my kitten; it’s established lore (and not exactly mentioned in passing either, fairly significant). There’s plenty of justification for it, and constrained to a setting where nobody has to even see it if they don’t want, much less participate.

Much like dueling, I have only casual interest in doing it myself, but would love to be able to spend some time (and maybe even gamble a little) watching other people get their arena on, not as an invisible observer, but as an actual audience among others.

It would add to the “living and breathing” nature it’s claimed that GW2 was supposed to have. I’d argue that “serves the interests of a majority”, several interests actually.

Arena in LA

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Thinking about it, I imagine it would be even better if that PvP map is exclusive to Lion’s Arch only and not necessarily a part of the HotM PvP lineup. I hope that once Lion’s Arch is fully restored, we’d actually be able to fight in that arena.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Arena in LA

Lishtenbird.2814

But this is not even that. It’s limited purely to one place, purely team based, and it’s registered matches. It’s basically a blend of spvp and the Queen’s Gauntlet. Queue up with the NPC in charge to smash face. Except unlike the gauntlet, it’s team based. And unlike spvp, it has a public audience (and potentially a gambling feature).

From Uber Duelwarrr Pwnr: u cheese pu mesmer!!!11
From Uber Duelwarrr Pwnr: go duel or ur nub
From Uber Duelwarrr Pwnr: y u no duel me
From Uber Duelwarrr Pwnr: port 2 la nub
From Uber Duelwarrr Pwnr: port 2 la nub and q or ure as bad as ur momma
From Uber Duelwarrr Pwnr: y u no q in la nub scared u chiken huh???77
Thank you for submitting your report!

It doesn’t matter to what and how open-world PvP is restricted. Once it exists at all, there are problems.

Arena in LA

Kartel.2561

It doesn’t matter to what and how open-world PvP is restricted. Once it exists at all, there are problems.

Let me help you out there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
You’re welcome.

And if you really truly believe, even as limited in scope as this is, that it would result in anything like what you typed ..this is getting quite slippery indeed. Or you have a wonderful talent for generating animosity toward you, in which case, maybe it’s not the game or its features that are at issue.

Arena in LA

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Remember that arena in LA that was featured in the Edge of Destiny book? The one Destiny’s Edge fought in?

I always thought that should have been a thing in-game and thought it strange that it wasn’t. I mean as far as the book goes, this was pretty recent before the start of the game, not generations / centuries ago. It should have still been there. And it was a pretty major attraction in the city. Wasn’t it something the patrons even placed bets on?

I thought that would have been a cool thing to have in the game, this mini pvp tournament in LA where teams can talk to an NPC and queue up for matches, and everyone else already hanging out in town can watch them like a real audience, and even place bets on which team wins. This could have been a pretty major thing in LA; there’s no way it wouldn’t have been popular, and it would have COMPLETELY fit from a lore perspective.

Granted, after Scarlet’s attack, there’s plenty of reason for it to not be there now. But what about before? And perhaps more importantly, what about the future? I think it’s something worth Anet considering as LA gets rebuilt.

could be done if they set it in a different map. i mean, the reason most mmorpgs keep the duels out of the city is to prevent chat overflow. if they could adjust it in a way that, upon entering the building the arena is in you are in a different map chat, then it should be cool.

Arena in LA

Posted by: Phineas Drayke.6381

Phineas Drayke.6381

I’ve been wondering since launch why they hadn’t implemented the arena or at least the place were the arena could have been physically in LA.

I’m not really into PvP (sometimes I do, but I really suck at it…) but like you, I would like to be able to be a spectator and place bets. I would even try it out once or twice.

But to be implemented in a non-invasive way, it could be an instanced location in LA, where you choose which match is available or is going to start in the next moments and which you want to assisst as a spectator, physically. And once you’re in an instance, room, you can stay there and watch other matches until you leave or disconnect.

I think it has to be instanced or you would have unending queues to get in a match as a team.

(edited by Phineas Drayke.6381)

Arena in LA

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Obligatory “oh look another can haz duelz thread” statement about duel threads.

But!

It’s still not an utterly terrible idea to have a contained zone/instance map to allow team/solo duels with an audience. Not quite spectator mode in PvP, but something more sporting. I’d be okay with it, since people looking to duel know where to go (..no, not that place :P), so it’s highly unlikely they’ll pester others outside of that zone to get their fix.

But.. what would it do to sPvP, I wonder? (Shorten the queues?)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Arena in LA

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

I’m not really into PvP (sometimes I do, but I really such at it…) but lke you, I would like to be able to be a spectator and place bets. I would even try it out once or twice.

Hey, I don’t know if this helps, but everybody sucks at pvp when they start. I started playing this game for the pvp and then i discovered i didn’t enjoy it because i was never in control of the situation.

Then i realised it’s what makes pvp work. Sometimes you are in control, sometimes you are not. You get destroyed and ripped most of the time until you figure out which fights to pick, which ones to avoid, and until you get better playing your character to his strenghts so you can actually win the fights you do pick.

(I still suck, by the way)

Arena in LA

Posted by: Kortas.7345

Kortas.7345

I love this idea! In general I think there should be way more activities in the different cities (remember the Moa Race during Dragon Bash? That was fun!). And even if there is no arena built into the new version of LA which will likely come with HoT they could easily place this activity in the Black Citadel (they alreday have an arena).
I just want a little more reason to hang out in the cities except for crafting/mystic forge/bank/TP

Arena in LA

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I like the idea. (Even with all the anti-dueling people around.)

Personally I think it would be nice if each city had its own unique attraction.

Black Citadel – Dueling (they already have a fighting pit in place with stadium seating)
Rata Sum – Polymock
Lion’s Arch – Moa Racing
Hoelbrak – Brass Knuckle Tournament (A combo of Dwarven boxing and the old Norn Fighting Tournament.)
The Grove – Glider Races (The potential is there as its a somewhat vertical map in itself.)
Divinity’s Reach – Queen’s Gauntlet

Just an idea. Give each city something to pull the masses in to either engage in, gamble on, and/or spectate.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Arena in LA

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

Right click → block player

Let’s trash an idea for something that may be fun for people for these hypothetical situations you create.

“Can I haz duel?” Yeah, pretty sure OP never said that either for those throwing words in his mouth.

Personally I think an arena like what was in the books in LA would be pretty neat, especially if you could hop in as a casual observer. Heck, even being able to throw a wager in gold on one of the teams would be cool to me. It would give me more of a reason to at least go to LA for something other than mystic toilet and various merchants.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Arena in LA

Lishtenbird.2814

Right click -> block player

Come back to me when I can Right click -> erase memory. Meanwhile, NO.

GW2 is a comfort zone. If I want competition, I open the door and step back into real life business.

Vayne summed it up nicely in the other 100500th “dueling” thread:

I tend not to enjoy hanging out with the people who like dueling.

This game provides features I like and because of that, I like many of the people who play the game. The community in WoW sucked really hard. It’s not all that hard to guess that part of the reason is that the way WOW is set up encourages more toxic behavior.

That’s why I don’t want it. The more you encourage competitive, testosterone filled in your face behavior, the more people I have no interest in hanging out with will still crowding around. I’ve seen it in more than one MMO. I don’t want to see it here.

Obviously I won’t like everyone, but the more features like that on offer, the more people I like will walk away from the game and the more people I’m not interested in will start playing the game.

It would be interesting to see, for example, by age breakdown, a list of players who like/want dueling.

But having played games with dueling and having not liked the results of what I’ve seen, that’s why I’m against it.

Might it be different in Guild Wars 2. Sure it might. But I don’t distribute brass knuckles down at the bar and hope for the best either.

Arena in LA

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

the Arena in Destinys Edge was one of the best parts of the book. I’d like to see it again if they rebuild LA;

It could either be pvp as suggested or soemthing like a year round Queens Gambit, where you take on a series of boss teams. It could have spectatorship, tournaments 2-3 times a year as well.

Arena in LA

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

Right click -> block player

Come back to me when I can Right click -> erase memory. Meanwhile, NO.

GW2 is a comfort zone. If I want competition, I open the door and step back into real life business.

Vayne summed it up nicely in the other 100500th “dueling” thread:

I tend not to enjoy hanging out with the people who like dueling.

This game provides features I like and because of that, I like many of the people who play the game. The community in WoW sucked really hard. It’s not all that hard to guess that part of the reason is that the way WOW is set up encourages more toxic behavior.

That’s why I don’t want it. The more you encourage competitive, testosterone filled in your face behavior, the more people I have no interest in hanging out with will still crowding around. I’ve seen it in more than one MMO. I don’t want to see it here.

Obviously I won’t like everyone, but the more features like that on offer, the more people I like will walk away from the game and the more people I’m not interested in will start playing the game.

It would be interesting to see, for example, by age breakdown, a list of players who like/want dueling.

But having played games with dueling and having not liked the results of what I’ve seen, that’s why I’m against it.

Might it be different in Guild Wars 2. Sure it might. But I don’t distribute brass knuckles down at the bar and hope for the best either.

I scanned through the original post again and didn’t see a single time when the OP mentioned anything about dueling, yet you suspect it a “carefully disguised post about dueling.”

This post is about adding a different style of arena to LA. One that was already invented in one of the books. My guess is this arena would be hypothetically instanced in LA anyways, but having an architecturally aesthetic coliseum attracting people in and out of LA would be welcome to me. It could even be part of the huge “LA rebuild” that NPCs have been slaving away at for months now.

This game has had forms of PvP since launch. The Guild Wars franchise has always had competition.

I’m sorry people in game have offended you so greatly that you feel the need to erase your memory (or in the hypothetical situation that you’ve created would have to have an erase memory function in order to go about your day happily). I haven’t lost a night of sleep because of a GW troll in PvE or PvP.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Arena in LA

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Just on the bolded part. The only things that are “Canon” are what is told/shown to us in game. Books, interviews, blogs, etc. while do hold more weight than other sources, ultimately what is in game is the only Canon.

However, there are a few arenas in-game as part of the PS. One with the Norn, and another with the Sylvari. (IIRC). While something like this could be cool, as far as making wagers and fighting an NPC could be fun, I think any PvP dueling should be kept in the mists, and in the mists only. There are many people who don’t want it, even in dedicated dueling areas in PvE. You want to duel someone? Start or join a private 1v1 server in the mists and duel to your hearts content.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”