"Suggestion" GW2 Dueling updated

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

You wanna duel? There is a button at the top of the screen that says PvP

The ONLY reason you want open world dueling is to pick on players who do not PvP or because you want to use your shiny PvE gear

PvP with people who want to PvP

No.

In pvp you have to fight 5 on 5 on the same maps all the time. Dueling is 1 on 1 (it would totally rule if it could be up to 10 on 10! think about the rp possibilities!) in open world.

The reasons for dueling? Do it anywhere, not in the mists only. do it for free, not paying gold to open a custom arena with an expiry date. More ways to interact with other people, i already explained i used to do it rarely and for role playing issues only.

For all i care, if someone doesn’t want to duel, he can have his duel mode off and automatically block invitations and whispers from people with the duel mode on or whatever)

Pvping with people that don’t want to pvp is not possible in dueling, it’s only possible in open world pvp, which this game doesn’t offer and will not offer and i am cool with that.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The ONLY reason you want open world dueling is to pick on players who do not PvP or because you want to use your shiny PvE gear

No.

In pvp you have to fight 5 on 5 on the same maps all the time. Dueling is 1 on 1 (it would totally rule if it could be up to 10 on 10! think about the rp possibilities!) in open world.

The reasons for dueling? Do it anywhere, not in the mists only. do it for free, not paying gold to open a custom arena with an expiry date. More ways to interact with other people, i already explained i used to do it rarely and for role playing issues only.

For all i care, if someone doesn’t want to duel, he can have his duel mode off and automatically block invitations and whispers from people with the duel mode on or whatever)

Pvping with people that don’t want to pvp is not possible in dueling, it’s only possible in open world pvp, which this game doesn’t offer and will not offer and i am cool with that.

That’s why people have 1v1 dueling arenas set up. Already. Right now.

You can duel at this moment if you want by going to those arenas.

Aenesthesia.1697

Because that’s worked in other games. lol

It totally worked in WoW.

And I was in a pvp server, which should mean constant testosterone overflow.

And no, thanks, i will not pay 15€ a month to duel here and there, I am not going back.

Vayne.8563

And no, thanks, i will not pay 15€ a month to duel here and there, I am not going back.

WoW is one of the games that turned me off from dueling completely so obviously it didn’t work so well in WoW. My worst experiences with this nonsense come from WoW. I wouldn’t go back there if it were free.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Conquest mode (FPS basically) PvPers should not be confused with duelers in GW2, very different people

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I can not see why people wouldnt want a duel system in this game. 1 guy invites someone else to duel, the other guy has to accept. Just make certain areas in the game as duel spots so people wont bother you with it at every random spot. Also make an option in settings to auto decline duels incase you really really dont want it.

Would be a nice and fun thing to test build or fight your guildies you usually play WvW with.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

My desire for dueling to never be implemented is quite different than most reason for/against I have seen. Dueling will always come with a perception that it should be fair but this game never was or should be balanced around 1v1 combat. It is hard enough to balance around the current 5v5 point capture and the mass scale of WvW.

Dueling would absolutely result in an increase in complaints about classes such as thieves and mesmers who excel in 1v1 situations.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

It is not ok to try to change this game into that one because you don’t wanna shell out the cash (or can’t have a glitter pony or all the other litter threads we see spammed by those that have left). Play how you want does not mean leave wow and try to fundamentally change GW2 into it.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

+1 for dueling.
I believe it would add tremendous value to the open world. Would be nice to do something like duel when waiting around for 20 mins for a boss to spawn.

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Only solution I can see is to make OS arena an instanse everyone can rent, why I think it is better than allowing duels in PVE ?

1) PvE is a non competitive game mode, that’s way you can only brawl fight in PvE.
2) People can set rules and allow in only certain players.
3) People can duel with PVE gear in a PvP zone.
4) Guilds can do GvGs.
5) Anet gets some money from it.
6) It’s the easiest way to prevent trolls from ruining the fun.

Offair.2563

No.

Spvp is completely different to say WvW – lots more build diversity and gears. Unsure why you are so against it. If you dont like it, dont do it simple as that.

I dont like worldbosses so should i be against it if someone comes with a new world boss idea, or should i leave them be and do my own thing i usually do in this game.

Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Aenesthesia.1697

It is not ok to try to change this game into that one because you don’t wanna shell out the cash (or can’t have a glitter pony or all the other litter threads we see spammed by those that have left). Play how you want does not mean leave wow and try to fundamentally change GW2 into it.

Who says i want to change GW2 into WoW?

I just would enjoy a feature (or many, if you will) that worked well in WoW to be added to GW2. What’s wrong about that? if people enjoy the new features, great for them, if they don’t, ignore and be done with it.

Believe it or not, this isn’t the first MMORPG and almost anything you can think of has already been incorporated in other MMORPGS before. So, adding anything to GW2 would mean turning it into other MMORPGS?

If you are going to define your game by what it doesn’t have, then this game isn’t the evolution of MMOs, but the involution.

Besides, it’s not like they are going to stop trying to fix minion AI because of implementing dueling, after all?

(edited by Aenesthesia.1697)

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Its a small change that will make a big impact.

Thx but no thanks.

Vayne.8563

No.

Spvp is completely different to say WvW – lots more build diversity and gears. Unsure why you are so against it. If you dont like it, dont do it simple as that.

I dont like worldbosses so should i be against it if someone comes with a new world boss idea, or should i leave them be and do my own thing i usually do in this game.

I tend not to enjoy hanging out with the people who like dueling.

This game provides features I like and because of that, I like many of the people who play the game. The community in WoW sucked really hard. It’s not all that hard to guess that part of the reason is that the way WOW is set up encourages more toxic behavior.

That’s why I don’t want it. The more you encourage competitive, testosterone filled in your face behavior, the more people I have no interest in hanging out with will still crowding around. I’ve seen it in more than one MMO. I don’t want to see it here.

Obviously I won’t like everyone, but the more features like that on offer, the more people I like will walk away from the game and the more people I’m not interested in will start playing the game.

It would be interesting to see, for example, by age breakdown, a list of players who like/want dueling.

But having played games with dueling and having not liked the results of what I’ve seen, that’s why I’m against it.

Might it be different in Guild Wars 2. Sure it might. But I don’t distribute brass knuckles down at the bar and hope for the best either.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Offair.2563

No.

I tend not to like the people who like dueling.

This game provides features I like and because of that, I like many of the people who play the game. The community in WoW sucked really hard. It’s not all that hard to guess that part of the reason is that the way WOW is set up encourages more toxic behavior.

That’s why I don’t want it. The more you encourage competitive, testosterone filled your face behavior, the more people I have no interest in hanging out with will still crowding around. I’ve seen it in more than one MMO. I don’t want to see it here.

Obviously I won’t like everyone, but the more features like that on offer, the more people I like will walk away from the game and the more people I’m not interested in will start playing the game.

It would be interesting to see, for example, by age breakdown, a list of players who like/want dueling.

But having played games with dueling and having not liked the results of what I’ve seen, that’s why I’m against it.

Might it be different in Guild Wars 2. Sure it might. But I don’t distribute brass knuckles down at the bar and hope for the best either.

I understand your concern especially WoW wise, it was indeed toxic behaviour. But lets say Anet implements a duel system only at certain spots ( dead places on a map for example), People who like to duel can go there, and people who dont like it wont go there. I dont think it will add toxic behaviour more then already happens in this game.

Vayne.8563

No.

I tend not to like the people who like dueling.

That’s why I don’t want it. The more you encourage competitive, testosterone filled your face behavior, the more people I have no interest in hanging out with will still crowding around. I’ve seen it in more than one MMO. I don’t want to see it here.

I understand your concern especially WoW wise, it was indeed toxic behaviour. But lets say Anet implements a duel system only at certain spots ( dead places on a map for example), People who like to duel can go there, and people who dont like it wont go there. I dont think it will add toxic behaviour more then already happens in this game.

I said already, I’m quite happy for a dueling system to be implemented as long as it’s in a place that I don’t have to visit. That is if there’s an arena in the Black Citadel or even LA, I have no problem at all with that.

What I don’t want to have to deal with is stuff like when I’m waiting for an event, and some 15 year old is bored, and he started asking me if I want to duel.

I had one guy in WoW following me around,. jumping up and down in my face because I wouldn’t duel with him. It’s juvenile behavior. No fun.

But make areas that are reserved for dueling, that I have no problem with.

Aenesthesia.1697

Just imagine if you could set up dueling teams of up to 10, or 20 people. Anywhere outside the main cities. One team is the bandits and the other are the seraphs, or people protecting a convoy that goes from point a to b, or whatever, and they start spanking kitten till one team wins. Then they all go and have a beer in The Beginning of the End.

That would be awesome.

and no, don’t tell me there’s wvw for that. Wvw is as close to a fair fight as fighting a mountain would be, and you cannot go there rolepaying while the rest of your server is trying to score.

(edited by Aenesthesia.1697)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Just imagine if you could set up dueling teams of up to 10, or 20 people. Anywhere outside the main cities. One team is the bandits and the other are the seraphs, or people protecting a convoy that goes from point a to b, or whatever, and they start spanking kitten till one team wins. Then they all go and have a beer in The Beginning of the End.

That would be awesome.

you might want to check out WvWvW

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I find the dungeon/raid serious instance-grinders to be a far more toxic community than anything I’ve ever seen in any game involving dueling.

And for the record, not everybody who supports dueling necessarily wants to DO it (except maybe sometimes). Many of us would much more often prefer to watch other people doing it. But regardless of who wants to do it, watch it, or hates it, it should still be a thing that exists, just as the elitist dungeon scene exists. More features and options existing is better than fewer.

The excuse of “I don’t like the kind of people who like that stuff” simply does not hold water. As long as you aren’t required to do it and have the ability to just move on to other things you enjoy, you have no right to say other people aren’t allowed to also do things they enjoy. That’s just hypocritical.

Also about the “firm line between pvp and pve” ..yeah, tell that to world explorers who are forced to go into WvW. Clearly there is some room for flexibility on the subject.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: CboStL.4965

CboStL.4965

I am and have always been in favor of a dueling option in this game. I have faith that it could be properly implemented. If there was an option, when left unticked, that made it impossible for someone else to duel you, then there would be no harrassment.

No amount of complaints about one’s inability to ignore another human being will ever convince me this game is better without an option to duel in all those great locales.

CMM.6712

That would be awesome.

Sounds almost exactly like attacking/defending a dolyak in wvw… A mode we already have, kept separate from people who do not want to pvp.

(edited by CMM.6712)

Yargesh.4965

I am and have always been in favor of a dueling option in this game. I have faith that it could be properly implemented. If there was an option, when left unticked, that made it impossible for someone else to duel you, then there would be no harrassment.

No amount of complaints about one’s inability to ignore another human being will ever convince me this game is better without an option to duel in all those great locales.

Direct quote from one of the vocal open world duel crowd below.

runeblade.7514: Duel servers exist for me to grief there!

Yargesh.4965: You admit griefing in closed PvP arenas but somehow you would not grief in open world PvE areas. Makes sense.

runeblade.7514: Who said I would not try to grief there? ANet should design it so I can’t.

(edited by Yargesh.4965)

CboStL.4965

Yargesh.4965:

runeblade.7514:

Duel servers exist for me to grief there!

You admit griefing in closed PvP arenas but somehow you would not grief in open world PvE areas. Makes sense.

Who said I would not try to grief there? ANet should design it so I can’t.

Make a point please. This person would be easily ignorable. Don’t just quote some post from a random person and act like it will change my mind. I am the one being reasonable.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

We already have a form of duelling – Costume Brawl!! It’s separate skills to normal skills so it’s fair no matter what level you’re characters are.

Costume brawl could do with a bit of expansion to be honest.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965:

runeblade.7514:

You admit griefing in closed PvP arenas but somehow you would not grief in open world PvE areas. Makes sense.

Make a point please. This person would be easily ignorable. Don’t just quote some post from a random person and act like it will change my mind. I am the one being reasonable.

That is my point, you can find that person on this thread as well.

CboStL.4965

Yargesh.4965:

runeblade.7514:

That is my point, you can find that person on this thread as well.

Mhm. Guess we’ll just leave it at that.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

• Any system in a multiplayer online game that can be abused will be abused. Any system.
  • That there is potential for abuse is not a reason to withhold a system. If it were a reason, then games would have darned few systems.
  1. Developers should be designing systems so that they eliminate any obvious forms of abuse.
  2. Developers should design other systems so that players have tools to deal with abuse that slips through because players are endlessly inventive.

How would this apply to dueling? Design the system so that:

• Players who do not want to be asked to duel cannot be asked to duel and don’t have to go out of their way to make that happen.
  • There are safe areas in the game where people can conduct business, role-play or do whatever without players dueling on top of them. Fwiw, I don’t believe that waiting for events in the persistent world needs that restriction, whereas the TP. crafting, bank and RP locations in cities do. While waiting for events I often see Costume Brawl, people in tonics and massive amounts of chat that reminds me of Barren’s chat a lot more than it does Face the Nation.
  • Design tools to deal with persistent attempts to shame a player into dueling. Oh, look! We already have block and report. The purchasable dueling tag that Astral referred to would also work.

Aenesthesia.1697

That would be awesome.

you might want to check out WvWvW

you might want to read the second part of my post where I said that no, WvWvW doesn’t provide that.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

No open world dueling…i play gw2 because it doesnt have that, just like gw1, and if it ever gets added, well i know at least 5 people personally who will move on, because of the trolling other games allow with the system, even with an auto decline feature.

if it was added to specific small arenas that would be fine, like the bane in the black citadel

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I’ll continue to say I don’t want it.

As its something that isn’t in the game now, I’d rather they spend their energies adding things I want instead of things you want. Now we’re all pushing for our selfish desires.

SBI

Posted by: BloodyPanda.6789

BloodyPanda.6789

I’ll continue to say I don’t want it.

As its something that isn’t in the game now, I’d rather they spend their energies adding things I want instead of things you want. Now we’re all pushing for our selfish desires.

I totally understand there are things that you want and things i want. My suggestion to you would be post forum and let your words be heard. I can promise you i wont go post and say “i dont want” in your forum. If the mighty ANET hears your calling and make your wish come truth, i will be happy for you. i am not asking your support but please don’t be negative to the things other people want.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

No open world dueling…i play gw2 because it doesnt have that, just like gw1, and if it ever gets added, well i know at least 5 people personally who will move on, because of the trolling other games allow with the system, even with an auto decline feature.

if it was added to specific small arenas that would be fine, like the bane in the black citadel

Well that is open world dueling. In a sense. Just in a limited area. But you can still have an audience :p

And its been suggested before. No idea why Anet is so bloody against it. We all get that no one want to get 35613615 invites every second in PvE. That’s fine. But the simplest idea ever is to allow dueling in the sPvP lobby. Lots of space there that isnt used. Would that be so terrible? I dont think so. Dueling in “arenas” around the PvE world would be perfectly fine as well. Have one in divinity, the citadel and rata sum. Not in the grove of course. No one likes seeing two twigs poke each other.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

But the simplest idea ever is to allow dueling in the sPvP lobby. Lots of space there that isnt used. Would that be so terrible? I dont think so. Dueling in “arenas” around the PvE world would be perfectly fine as well. Have one in divinity, the citadel and rata sum. Not in the grove of course. No one likes seeing two twigs poke each other.

I think most people against free for all open world dueling would be fine with such suggestions from what I have read over the many threads on this topic. I know that would be fine with me, preferably in the PvP lobby but I wouldn’t be totally against specific arenas that allowed dueling. That way I could just avoid those areas and it would be as if it didn’t exist to me.

The Burninator

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

+1 for dueling.
I believe it would add tremendous value to the open world. Would be nice to do something like duel when waiting around for 20 mins for a boss to spawn.

Exactly my thoughts on dueling also.

If implemented with an opt-out option under settings there should be no complaints from the anti dueling crowd, any complaints afterwards is just for the sake of argument.

With HoT around the corner, and new players joining plus returning players, I can imagine a big push for this feature down the road from the community. I’m also glad to know that Colin Johanson at one time wanted to see this implemented too.

Dueling open world outside of the “awkward version of it” custom arenas fast forward to 14:10-14:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7CcwnfUdU&feature=youtu.be&t=13m24s

Enough of the naysayers, and “go play somewhere else” comments.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Dueling has been suggested numerous times by numerous people. It has met stiff resistance from a portion of the population.

Those who want it can’t understand why anyone would be against it or how it would affect them. Those who don’t want it feel it will negatively affect their experience and they don’t want it.

I personally don’t want it and would prefer open world dueling never be added.

I am new to forum so I did not know this was suggested before, but I still can’t see why this will have a negative impact if open world dueling is added. If open world dueling is unaccepable then maybe something like private dueling would work. Like the way u can invite friend to personal story instances? Would that work?

You want dueling? Go join a custom arena and do that crap there. Or go join sPvP. GW2 is not a PVP game.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

+1 for dueling.

If implemented with an opt-out option under settings there should be no complaints from the anti dueling crowd, any complaints afterwards is just for the sake of argument.

With HoT around the corner, and new players joining plus returning players, I can imagine a big push for this feature down the road from the community. I’m also glad to know that Colin Johanson at one time wanted to see this implemented too.

One of the PvP developers recently said they plan to add dueling outside of PvP areas, it just isn’t the highest of priorities.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

In today’s news, things we don’t have in GW2 that someone, somewhere might find entertaining.

*Mounts
*Flying Mounts
*Mount Racing
*Bounty Contract Events
*Customizable Power Colors
*Customizable Power Effects
*Customizable Chat Colouration
*Customizable Weapon Dye Effects
*Customizable Player Housing
*Copy/Paste From Chat Functionality
*Mission/Quest Creator Tools
*Editable Map Tools

I could go on. This list, compiled off the top of my head over no longer than it took to type it, is just a thin layer off the tip of an iceberg of things we do not have in GW2 that quite possible many someones might find very entertaining to have.

Of all the things we do not have, I would not place dueling anywhere near the top. There are a huge array of things I would rather see implemented before dueling ever even gets a serious discussion, and most of them aren’t of a nature that inherently encourages divisive, spontaneous contention between players.

This desire for an audience and ‘bragging rights’ all sounds like ‘My ego is fragile and I demand a tool to force people to pay attention to me’.

Nobody that wants to ‘practice pvp’ has any trouble doing this as it is, so that argument rings hollow and purposeless.

There’re no end of ways to ‘test builds and compete with other players’ already. They’re just not showcasing your spectacle in the middle of Divinity’s Reach, are they.

No. And that, I suspect, is what the real outcry here is for – tools of spectacle at best and, unless implemented like straight-jackets, all too probable harassment as well.

I’d determine there to be far better things for dev resources to be spent on that would non-divisively serve the interests of many more than dueling ever will, ever has and ever can.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

JustTrogdor.7892

GW2 is not a PVP game.

Actually it is very much a PvP game. 2 of the 3 game modes, PvP and WvW, allow for player verses player combat. I prefer to keep it that way and leave PvE out of it for those of us that are not interested in or don’t want to see player verses player activities.

The Burninator

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

+1 for dueling.

One of the PvP developers recently said they plan to add dueling outside of PvP areas, it just isn’t the highest of priorities.

Nice, with time they will add what they think fits their vision of GW2, and I’m glad for it. Just like the link I posted in my previous post.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

GW2 is not a PVP game.

Actually it is very much a PvP game. 2 of the 3 game modes, PvP and WvW, allow for player verses player combat. I prefer to keep it that way and leave PvE out of it for those of us that are not interested in or don’t want to see player verses player activities.

Due to that separation, along with what the majority of content is, GW2 is not a pvp game. Yes, it has pvp. That doesnt make it a pvp game. Archeage is a pvp game.

JustTrogdor.7892

GW2 is not a PVP game.

Due to that separation, along with what the majority of content is, GW2 is not a pvp game. Yes, it has pvp. That doesnt make it a pvp game. Archeage is a pvp game.

My point was that two out of three game modes are centered around PvP. I’d prefer to keep it that way and keep PvP out of PvE.

The Burninator

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Lets look at a class like ele mainly d/d stander build when it comes to balancing. Every thing this build and class dose is mostly aoe so with that in mind the aoe dmg condition and healing is much lower. For a 1v1 timed set up aoe is pointless so do we make every thing d/d ele only hit one person and make all the skills that much stronger? Every thing in GW2 is aimed at dealing with more then one person there are not that many single hit attks. For 1v1 to truly work in GW2 you need to overhaul the game for a new system and a new game type to there 3 existing (wvw pve spvp) where every one ability are stronger if they where aimed for aoe. You would have a major shift in what is on-top making some classes who are mostly aimed at sniping ppl out worthless in this new system (as things stand these classes are on top for open 1v1 even spvp 1v1 games moods that are NOT made for 1v1 in mind.)

We have types of 1v1 but this game is simply not made for that so some classes are just simply better then others and to push the game into more 1v1 aimed will require a lot of work or the simple version making a 4th game mood that dose not act like the other 3.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

You know, for this to really work you have to sign up for duels or not when you log in, and all the yes-people would have to be blocked from the no-people and vice versa. No tells, whispers, chat, emotes and so on can be seen by the other group. And still Im not sure that someone wouldnt find a way to “u scared?”

Anyway, tells usually isnt a big problem for me, because I dont hang around much in cities where duels tend to take place, but it is a problem for some. Or many. And I wouldnt take upon myself to decide whats a problem for other people and whats not.
I like this game without duels and I will prefer it to stay that way. I’ve had my share of 12-years old mapchat, of people fighting all around when Im trying to shop or talk to a npc , fighting in the middle of an event, and so on.
Maybe dueling in gw2 wouldnt be anything like other games but I really doubt it, and I wouldnt bet on it. As suggested a million times before, make a sone, arena, whatever for duels, with instatravel and pubs and whatnot.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

My one thing about duels is that people seem to forget players are from all over the world.

Many players, such as myself, are located a great distance from the servers leading to at times very high latency. Servers such as SoS have a large OCX presence. I’m in Australia myself but homed on Gandara while I was living in Europe. When I was in Europe, that was no problem, but now I have given up wvw because there is no way I can dodge in time or fire off my skills at the right moment. The same goes for spvp. There is no way I can compete with players that physically live nearer to the server than me. Open world dueling will still have this problem for players like me and as such I personally do not want to be badgered by dozens of duel requests.

However, I have no issue if areas were put aside for dueling. The cities are perfect for this because there are areas that can be utilised for this purpose.
In Divinity’s Reach, the Queen’s gauntlet area could be re-purposed for dueling
In Hoelbrak there is the POI which is actually an arena. Hoelbrak even has its own pvp game in keg brawl.
In Black Citadel, there is the Bane as others have mentioned
Rata sum would need a new area for this but there are several outlying POI’s that don’t serve much purpose beyond being areas we need to see for exploration.
Lion’s Arch could have that old beach area which looked like the Anet logo would be a good place for a dueling zone.

As for open world PVP, I’m a little less supportive but not 100% resistant, although I would never use it. Something like this might work: When 2 players agree to a duel, a decent sized area with a diameter equivalent to 2x the max longbow range, so 3000, is ringed in a static field that prevents the duelers from leaving and spectators from entering until at least one player is defeated. None of this stealth running away business. You accept a duel, you accept the risk of being beaten. However, the static field won’t behave like the elementalist one. It won’t knock you down if you run into it, just acts as a glass wall. This prevents KD chaining being a thing.

Just for kicks, why not have a ghostly mists warrior appear who will take bets on the fight? We could bet on a moa race, why not bet on a fight?

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Right the dozens of people that are against it have no sense because you disagree with it. But there is sense to it. It’s sense born of our personal experiences. You can’t make sense of it if you didn’t have those experiences.

But that doesn’t mean that we don’t have sense. There are too many people against it for all of us not to be making sense. Though I understand that you don’t get it, that doesn’t mean there isn’t something to get.

Maybe I’m just not that sensitive? Beats me, auto decline option worked fine on Lotro, and I’ve never seen any map chat ‘harassement’ about someone not wanting to duel, not to mention there’s always the ignore function, if someone is being an annoying prick. Dueling would mostly happen at the outskirts of major cities, so the rest of the game world was rather peaceful in that regard.

But I also support Azrael’s suggestion for dedicated duel zones at major towns, together with the static field idea. I simply think having this option would add to an otherwise lacklustre pve experience, and can be used to do quick build testing, skill honing, for funz and whatnot.

GW2 is not a PVP game.

True, although pvp/pve separation isn’t an indicator that a game isn’t, or at least wasn’t pvp-oriented. Once upon a time in a faraway land of alpha, GW2 was likely being build exclusively with pvp in mind (and to an extent, that primordial idea still shows in the present lack of meaningful pve experience), but people went bonkers and did a 180° turn, creating this oversized mess of a pve, while leaving pvp in shambles.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

naiasonod.9265

My wife, who’ll never post on this forum but games with me regularly, just said in respect to this topic "How many times in how many of these games have you and I had to deal with some jerk spamming duel requests? I still remember that idiot in Champions that used to troll around RP spots, trying to start RP fights with people only to bully them into dueling. I don’t remember a single occasion in which dueling was ever useful or necessary though.

And I think anyone trying to say ‘oh, but it’ll let people get better at pvp’ are very likely nothing more than trollfaced little monsters that desperately hope ArenaNet is stupid enough to give them their favorite tool to bully and harass other people and demand attention from total strangers.

God, I hope they never include dueling in this game, or I’m sorry, but the first time I see some little pop-up about how ‘Wangberry Juggs wants to duel you- Accept or Decline’ when I’m trying to effing sell my crap and put things in the bank will be the day I delete this game from my computers and never look at it again. I have had it with that bullkitten. No more. And I do not care if they include some opt-out button. No. Effing. More.’

And that, she and I are in utterly blissful agreement on. Cheerio.

CMM.6712

My wife, who’ll never post on this forum but games with me regularly, just said in respect to this topic "How many times in how many of these games have you and I had to deal with some jerk spamming duel requests? I still remember that idiot in Champions that used to troll around RP spots, trying to start RP fights with people only to bully them into dueling. I don’t remember a single occasion in which dueling was ever useful or necessary though.

And I think anyone trying to say ‘oh, but it’ll let people get better at pvp’ are very likely nothing more than trollfaced little monsters that desperately hope ArenaNet is stupid enough to give them their favorite tool to bully and harass other people and demand attention from total strangers.

God, I hope they never include dueling in this game, or I’m sorry, but the first time I see some little pop-up about how ‘Wangberry Juggs wants to duel you- Accept or Decline’ when I’m trying to effing sell my crap and put things in the bank will be the day I delete this game from my computers and never look at it again. I have had it with that bullkitten. No more. And I do not care if they include some opt-out button. No. Effing. More.’

100% in agreement, wish we had some kind of forum controls for those trollfaced forum monsters nearby too cough

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Close your eyes and take a deep breath, slowly. Feeling better?

I’m not sure which part of automatic decline option you happened to miss. It means no requests are popping up, and if some feel like whining about it, it’s little different from people barking at others for a failed dungeon/event.
I think it’d bring enough practical benefits to the table to be worth the negatives you seem to be so upset about.

Also, if you wish to go bonkers on the hyperbole, so can I, so let’s go for a ride to the land of over 9000:
GW2 is the perfect game for your Kiddo Kid Toddler, Joe Pve Casual, and Grandpa XXXX+ demographic because of the lack of challenge, lack of content, and lack of anything meaningful [insert stuff ranging from story to pvp], because the former aren’t gamers in a real sense of the word, and the latter are too old to be. In other words, it’s the McDonalds of mmos.

See, it’s that simple to play on hyperboles, and I actually don’t think I missed the mark by all that much, either.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

I’m not sure which part of automatic decline option you happened to miss. It means no requests are popping up, and if some feel like whining about it, it’s little different from people barking at others for a failed dungeon/event.
I think it’d bring enough practical benefits to the table to be worth the negatives you seem to be so upset about.

Also, if you wish to go bonkers on the hyperbole, so can I, so let’s go for a ride to the land of over 9000:
GW2 is the perfect game for your Kiddo Kid Toddler, Joe Pve Casual, and Grandpa XXXX+ demographic because of the lack of challenge, lack of content, and lack of anything meaningful [insert stuff ranging from story to pvp], because the former aren’t gamers in a real sense of the word, and the latter are too old to be. In other words, it’s the McDonalds of mmos.

See, it’s that simple to play on hyperboles, and I actually don’t think I missed the mark by all that much, either.

I’m curious Karla did GW1 have duels or a duel function? I mean in cities not as a PvP mode or anything.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

naiasonod.9265

What my wife said wasn’t hyperbole at all. And I really don’t care about what you think the ‘positive benefits’ would be when most of us have seen, in myriad games, exactly what dueling does and doesn’t amount to.

You have a better chance of convincing me to flap my arms and try to fly to the moon than to approve of dueling. You like it? That’s nice for you. I don’t, and I’ve never seen anything in any MMO in which it was an option that convinced me that it was anything other than a tool that lent well to both annoyance and crappy ‘fite me nao y u no fite me duel me bro duel me rite nao PAY ATTENSHUN 2 MEH’ rubbish.

You’ve perceived otherwise? That’s very nice for you. I Do Not Care.

And I suspect you don’t care what I think either.

Such is the way of different opinions. Anet’s gonna do what Anet’s gonna do no matter what either of us think, I suspect.