Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

You guys are really nuts. I don’t think Anet is gonne make this new gear hard to obtain. When you always see the same stat on gear doesn’t feel right if you ask me.

Posted by: ariane.4837

ariane.4837

Gear progression will never satisfy hardcore gamers. They will get the best equipment, they’ll get bored and they’ll stop playing anyway.
Gear progression betrays GW1 philosophy and those former players will stop playing GW2 because they don’t want to spend their playtime trying to get the best stats over and over again.

Therefore, both communities will be disappointed and GW2 will remain empty.

And I was happy… until now

Posted by: konosh.4721

konosh.4721

Don’t want vertical progression. Add ascended gear with the same stats as exotic, keep legendary the same as exotics, and include an infusion slot in the first, if you must.

Or just do a one-time thing per character where you must infuse your armor, like in GW1, no need to exchange armor at all (or n-times, n being the number of pieces of armor to infuse).

Again: don’t want vertical progression. I know you will go forward with this in this patch, but please keep it in mind for the next ones.

Posted by: Lorea.3081

Lorea.3081

It’s horrible. GW2 was a different game, and that was well. It’s a bad idea. Another grinding MMO is coming…

¡Queremos casitas! <a href="http://bit.ly/1c2sHkk">Tu casa en cualquier lugar </a>

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

My first (and probably only post) on these forums:

Please do not make new armor contain better statistics than current exotics. If infusions are needed, let them be applied also to existing armor ala GW1. This policy change goes against the philosophy of respecting your players (time). I bought GW2 on the assumption that like GW1 it would be a skill-based not a time-wasted-based game.

it was’nt a time-wasted-based game already? See legendary (waste time grinding X, waste time grinding Y, waste time grinding Z, etc..) Just saying your point went out the door with that last sentence, all the end game rewards are acheived through grind not skill. Reword it to “i wanted to play a game where once i got exotic gear there would never be better stat gear”. And you sir…got a point.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I guess it’s worth pointing out that everyone is speculating on an entire system, with only a handful of paragraphs.
You’re no better than those donkey’s who keep saying the end of the world is “next month”.
Sit back, chill out, and wait and see.

(You can be pretty certain your argument has already been posted in one of the 50+ pages).

What is there to speculate about [img]https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png[/img]

This ring is better than the one I bought a couple days ago which cost me a few golds. Golds I could have used elsewhere easily had I knew such treadmill content was coming. I’d have been fine using my other exotic set even if the stats weren’t optimal for WvWvW (MF isn’t exactly the best one can get) or getting some rare items instead.

Posted by: Death by Chickens.6902

Death by Chickens.6902

I would totally agree with you but what I read between the lines is that with every new content they will introduce new infusions that I will likely want to link into my gear.
And if I can’t or don’t want to lose my current infusions I will have to get a new items to link them into.

And this would still be a threadmill even if there won’t be any additional gear tiers.

And I agree here. But we don’t know exactly how infusions will work. Hopefully, it won’t be a matter of entirely new sets of Ascended for each dungeon.

What I’ve been trying to say, is THIS is the debate we should be having, because this is what the blog post discusses. There’s no potential gear treadmill for stats, only infusions. But 90% of posters are saying “oh no, GW2 is done, QQ gear treadmill.”

I want us to be debating what the blog post says, so that we can give good feedback to ANet, not freaking out over assumptions of entirely new item tiers in the future.

Posted by: Norax.2405

Norax.2405

Tormented weapons weren’t better. Why this new ones must be?

Make us to create exotic equipments due to builds, not to kittening gear progression.

Posted by: Irrodesia.3907

Irrodesia.3907

If the gear is craftable it will be ok, but according to the blogspot it seems that only the back piece will be craftable through the mystic forge along with infusions.

Only way this is acceptable is if they add ascendant gear obtainable through WvW or keep it as dungeon only gear. If they force us to do dungeons to be able to be on equal footing in WvW I might leave the game alltogether.

Or if they rethink the stupid idea of making it better than exotics. Add infusion slots on exotic level gear and call it acendant, that way the stats only effect pve encounters but not WvW.

Huge let down for me reading the blogspot. Sad day indeed. And it made NOTHING clearer compared to the mmorpg article, just fussy info from Anet still leaving us in the dark what ascendant gear will really be.

Dungeons only? Yes? No? Answekittentten

Pulled information from Patch Notes

The Lost Shores is a game release coming to Guild Wars 2 during November 2012. The new content will involve the Sea of Sorrows and will launch on November 16th, 2012 at noon PST (20:00 GMT) beginning with a one-time event spanning three days. However, there will be hints and teasers appearing before then to build up the new content. The remainder of the content release (the pvp map, island, and dungeon) will permanently remain after the weekend event is over.

Starting Thursday, players who have purchased the game will be able to invite up to three friends for a free trial. The free trial will last the entire weekend. All players will be scaled up to level 80 for the finale, allowing friends to join players on their quest to push back the karka, although players will not be scaled up for any prior content.

A brief list of the game features announced:

A one-time weekend-long event that permanently changes the world in some places.
Prelude content with hints and teasers to build up the game release.
A new PvP map: Temple of the Silent Storm
A new area: Southsun Cove, designed for level 80s.
A new dungeon: Fractals of the Mists, designed for level 80s.
A new enemy: the karka.
New ascended armor quality items allowing a new upgrade type: Infusion.
A new resource to harvest with 200 new crafting recipes.
Unique Black Lion Trading Company minis and weapon skins made for the Lost Shores event

I looked in to Ascended armor which limited information is posted on it.

Ascended weapons and armor are a special type of equipment found in dungeons. Ascended equipment can be upgraded through the Infusion system.

This, to me, sounds like we will only be able to get the armor through dungeons and will have no part in the 200 new recipes.

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

O’Brien, O’Brien, O’Brien. Tsk tsk. Perhaps you and your team forgot about this interview. Or maybe these were all a bunch of lies. Or maybe it wasn’t you who was saying these lines (gasp):

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/#dOdOoqq2XMbtv2o4.99

New PVP map? Yay!
New events? Yay!
New dungeon? Yay!
New PVE mechanic? Yay!
New gear tier? Uh-oh..

The news about this new patch made me kitten in meh pants but the moment after I read the Ascended Gear Blogpost, all my excitement for the new patch went down the drain.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

You guys are really nuts. I don’t think Anet is gonne make this new gear hard to obtain. When you always see the same stat on gear doesn’t feel right if you ask me.

Then maybe you should of asked that of yourself before purchasing the game. This dogma was known months before launch, with AN officials preaching against gear treadmills many times.

Then again, I guess the joke’s on us. We fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

‘Remember, remember, the 12th of November.
The ArenaNet Grind and Plot.
I can think of no reason why Guild Wars 2 should ever have been bought.’

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

Its not tiered gear…its just adding 1 more kittening rarity of gear to the game…each you didn’t complain about rare’s to exotics…or masterwork to rares…55 pages of the same whiny kittens…meanwhile Orr and other zones are now BUZZING with people getting back into the game farming karma and gold in prepartion for this game…food potions etc etc to tackle this dungeon… good friggin job ANET!

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The simple fact people are upset tells you that this is a big deal and trying to belittle that tells me the kind of people some are. Frankly when the state of the game is at stake let people have their say right or wrong let them be heard. That is what this is about.

Yes but people haven’t even tried it. The simple fact is no one besides Anet knows how it’s going to work exactly, at this point. People only have very inaccurate assumption to base their complaints on right now.

Posted by: ReddSquall.2548

ReddSquall.2548

Before release I thought that dungeon rewards SHOULD be better than anything else you get from crafting,wvwvw,etc… I was skeptical about grinding for cosmetics only and thought that it would be this game eventual downfall.

But it turned out cosmetics was enough motivation to keep me playing, it actually worked for me. I was working on getting my T3 Human Cultural Armor Heavy Set, saving up money slowly while leveling other characters. I wasn’t penalized for spending time on alts because I always knew those 40ish gold I spent on the first weeks of the game to gear my main would last at the very least until the next expansion, so I could always log in to my main when I wanted to do dungeons.

I could work on account wide achievements because my main character was done (at least stats wise), do jumping puzzles and actually have fun just doing random stuff in the game. It was fun, logging in didn’t feel like a chore.

This has all changed with ascended armor. If it truly is because you thought that there was a big gap between exotics and legendaries in respect to long term goals and you don’t want to lose the majority of gw2 players which are not complete gaming addicts what you should do then is upgrade all exotic equipment acquired before this upcoming patch into ascended, because after all people paid (in some cases real money) for a product: max stat armor which they are now not getting.

How is this going to affect the economy also? I mean you do get rewards for completing dungeons which affect the rest of the people who don’t want to grind the same dungeon over and over just to make a reasonable amount of gold.

If you wanted to appeal to the hardcore players, and trust me I was one of them at one point (I’ve played FFXI, you can’t get much grindier than that), what you should have done is make new game mechanics that involved skill. The dungeon equivalent of the Mad King Thorn Jumping Puzzle. It was hard it took me around 1 hour and a half of constant failures until I started getting good at it, it was gratifying in the end. But making things hard just because you don’t have X amount of stats is just silly and what’s worse the dev team told us, I wasn’t even aware how silly gear grinds were until YOU pointed it out.

Posted by: Norax.2405

Norax.2405

Oh nooooo, I wont be able to progress to the deepest parts of the optional dungeon without the new armor which is only useful for this dungeon…. This game sucks omg you are tearing me apart Anet.

Its like all logic goes out the window when people come onto these forums.

l2read. The stats will work everywhere.

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

The simple fact people are upset tells you that this is a big deal and trying to belittle that tells me the kind of people some are. Frankly when the state of the game is at stake let people have their say right or wrong let them be heard. That is what this is about.

Yes but people haven’t even tried it. The simple fact is no one besides Anet knows how it’s going to work exactly, at this point. People only have very inaccurate assumption to base their complaints on right now.

You are right, no other game has introduced a new tier of gear with greater stats before.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Oh nooooo, I wont be able to progress to the deepest parts of the optional dungeon without the new armor which is only useful for this dungeon…. This game sucks omg you are tearing me apart Anet.

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

Oh yeah, I forgot how much of a difference that extra 3 precision will make. Oh and cant forget that MF buff.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

O’Brien, O’Brien, O’Brien. Tsk tsk. Perhaps you and your team forgot about this interview. Or maybe these were all a bunch of lies. Or maybe it wasn’t you who was saying these lines (gasp):

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/#dOdOoqq2XMbtv2o4.99

New PVP map? Yay!
New events? Yay!
New dungeon? Yay!
New PVE mechanic? Yay!
New gear tier? Uh-oh..

The news about this new patch made me kitten in meh pants but the moment after I read the Ascended Gear Blogpost, all my excitement for the new patch went down the drain.

Where the thousands of hours of grinding? its a dungeon…one that everyone will do…wheres the tier of gear? its kittening 2 stat point increase per stat…

Posted by: Wagnard.4027

Wagnard.4027

We don’t need other example of same approach used by hundred other MMO devs in the past… No… we need check the same mistake again, just to make sure it will fail like the past examples…

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

exotic armor grinded? what do you mean?
i took only 4 hours after lv 80 for farm my complete exotic gear berserk, other 2 hours for rampage and other 3 hours for knight.
where is the grind? exotic gear is pratically free gear
if you want dungeon skin that is 1 bit grind but you are not obligate

ascendant gear only for dungeon? where you are read this?
they will introduce 200 new recipes if you read the full patch note, it mean ascendant gear will be craftable, but you need infusion for dungeon progression and infusion will drop only in dungeon cause it effect only dungeon progression if you read the full patch note

there no word about spvp and wvwvw, maybe they will put this item in too?
it is soon for say everythink, just wait the release day….

Point us to these patch notes as i’ve not seen anything about recipe’s.

this i mean “A new resource to harvest with 200 new crafting recipes”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Lost_Shores

Ok i see it although its not actually from ANet. If it does actually show up in the game though my bet is it is to craft the infusions them selves. We will see though.

Posted by: Transit.4158

Transit.4158

GW2 was supposed to be different from all the other MMO’s.
This is a step in the wrong direction, a step towards becoming another WoW clone with the gear progression and all.
I have not spoken to a single person in game that liked this new progression. Not one. I have leveled and geared 4 lvl 80 characters with exotics, this was because I thought that this would be it, then I could simply enjoy the game on all of my characters forever.
Well, not even 3 months into the game my gear is obsolete, and I have to grind to get full ascended gear on my characters…

I thought this franchise was about Skill > Gear?

Posted by: Taek.4671

Taek.4671

I am an ex Lotro raider, who raided before radiance, during radiance and post radiance (quit playing in March this year) and I don’t think this is like radiance at all. Lotro’s stats and combat mechanics work differently. Stats provide resistance to certain “conditions”, you have ways to mitigate certain damage types and raid sets have mitigation as a set bonus. They are not required to do a raid but make it easier, especially hard modes.

I don’t see the difference to having mitigation as a stat on jewellery or as a set bonus to having it as an infusion. Radiance did gate raids in that if you didn’t have it you couldn’t even do your skills as you were constantly cowering, mitigations just make it easier.

I think comparing radiance to this us comparing apples and oranges.

Now saying all this I am playing GW2 because I wanted something different. I have hardly done any dungeons here. I am feeling very uncomfortable about this more because it possibly could be a gear grind I was hoping never to do again. I was happy to have farmed for my exotics in a way I found fun and was getting on with my still long to do list of things I find fun in the game. I left lotro after limelight gorge introduced a new grind of must have, better than the raid items and I just didn’t have the heart to do more grinding. And now I feel I may be in the same situation again. I will wait and see how it works before deciding whether I like it or hate it.

[TGA]The Gamers Asylum

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Get ascended items; now all content is ever so slightly easier. GW1 never had that.

GW1 had that with titles (for specific areas), with the addition of consumables, with the addition of pve-specific overpowered skills, and with the addition of heroes which gave us the freedom of having higher-tiered skill builds and armor stats than henchmen. GW1 was also full of pve skill balanced that powercreeped the entire game, with single skills being able to disable entire crowds of mobs.

You can even play through GW1 prophecies nowadays with an empty skill bar and naked, with the proper heroes.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

I hope there will be alternative ways to get this gear other than grinding dungeons.
I don’t mind paying real money for it, I can understand that companies need to make money to survive, and GW2 is a fun game that I want to support.
I can see myself grinding for some of the gear, and buy the rest of it for for gems or something.

I don’t have time to – or want to grind dungeons forever.

(edited by Loumy.7841)

Posted by: Skarecrow.7892

Skarecrow.7892

Then maybe you should of asked that of yourself before purchasing the game. This dogma was known months before launch, with AN officials preaching against gear treadmills many times.

Then again, I guess the joke’s on us. We fell for it hook, line and sinker.

I guess that is what upsets me the most. I believed in Anet, I thought they were different, guess I was just a sucker.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Question is – would there have been this uproar had they released the dungeon and the related armour at launch, alongside the other tiered armour?

Or is it the possibility of it being a trend by Anet that is worrying people so much?

For me, it’s the trend. They also did this with the exotics, and now they’re repeating it again. And who says it’ll be the last time? Can we trust them now, when they say it’s the last time?

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Its not tiered gear…its just adding 1 more kittening rarity of gear to the game…each you didn’t complain about rare’s to exotics…or masterwork to rares…55 pages of the same whiny kittens…meanwhile Orr and other zones are now BUZZING with people getting back into the game farming karma and gold in prepartion for this game…food potions etc etc to tackle this dungeon… good friggin job ANET!

masterworks, rares and exotics where there at the release. It is different then adding tiers.
Why I did not buy a rare armor set? Because I saved my money for the exotic one, ’cause exotic is the best…. no more … tnx I wasted money, time and energy

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

Well the damage is done, in less 3 months arena.net betray his community and his own word, 7 years of a good philosophy and reputation throw to garbage, now to most of community arena.net is a liying company.

I was playing GW since the beta weekend events of Prophecies, almost 8 years and more of 6000 hour of play, and never, never feel so much betrayed for the company who give me so much hour of fun.

Now first my question is, ¿ will have arena.net the guts to, sit in a meeting, check that they are doing wrong and cancel this “ascend items” update and repay his reputation ? I dont think so, they want the “WoW community” back, but my thought is they will not comeback, and much of the GW1 core community will say goodbye to the game.

My second question is "Will Lindesy Murdock have the guts to face of the community ? She is behind that the major mess update of the GW history, doing something that the community dont want and throwing away all the spirit of GW saga and the ideas behind the “horizontal progresion”.
How she can make a such update to the principal core game without check before with the community ? GW2 need much improvement but not here, we ned more pvp mods, fix bug , balance class, funniest dungeon, improve the way to get precursor, or better rewands in dungeon ( but not in form of threadmill ).

Now the only thing that i see is community cordintaros close pos saying " Thx for your feedback", but not a word of a developer or Lindesy explain where the hell she get the feedback to make such change.

There still left 3 days to the update, think well what are you doing arena.net and if you are a little clever, make the new items “exotic items”.

STOP THE SNOWBALL BEFORE START TO ROLLING, BECAUSE WHEN IT START WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Oh for god’s sake, man, grow a pair.

Posted by: knyy.8276

knyy.8276

So back in April ArenaNet released their very nice Manifesto. A quote from there states “It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment”.

What happened to that? They made an awesome game that holds so much promise for years of fun. Why change stance now and implement systems that games like WoW and Lotro tried and abandoned?!

Their clarification just makes me more worried! This kind of gear progression will just segregate ppl and if this how it will work in coming dungeons I can’t take a break for a couple of months and run current content with friends since I won’t have full ascended gear… :p

It’s an old stupid system, lazy, and boring game design to have this kind of artificial barrier in group content. I held ArenaNet to higher standards than this and hope they think long and hard regarding the path they take!

Hope the community can in an ordered and constructive fashion enlighten ArenaNet that this is not the game we bought and hoped to be playing years to come!

Cheers, Agaetis

signed!!!!!

Posted by: Ravbek.7938

Ravbek.7938

Totally agree with the OP. This gating system ahs been tried and thrown out in other games so why try it here, it goes against their own manifesto and has been proven not to work…I’m astounded, I really am.

I thought this game was going to be different, something I can play for years to come without the pressure to always keep up with the Jones…I guess not.

Cybek – Gunnars Hold
Wipus Frequentus – www.wipus.net
Rock Paper Signet – www.rockpapershotgun.com

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

I very much doubt there was even one person that though that when (if) they got their level 80 masterwork didn’t know that it wasn’t the best there was. Exotics were there from the start, so hence people knew it was there and knew it was to be the end game gear not needing to be replaced by another gear.

Increase in stats is not trivial by all means (+7%) and maybe I was naive to think that after I got my exotic set on one character, could start focusing getting exotics set (with badges) on another. So, I guess it is “moving on”.

[Hex]

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Question is – would there have been this uproar had they released the dungeon and the related armour at launch, alongside the other tiered armour?

Or is it the possibility of it being a trend by Anet that is worrying people so much?

For me, it’s the trend. They also did this with the exotics, and now they’re repeating it again. And who says it’ll be the last time? Can we trust them now, when they say it’s the last time?

What did they say about the exotics last time? I didn’t catch that, but currently for me anyway, i’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I’m against having the treadmill in GW2 but I do understand the necessity for new content and that also means new gear.

It actually appears that the dungeon will not have an Agony cap anyway as it seems to scale indefinitely, so the new gear will only be useful up to a point anyway.

Posted by: Cherrybarb.3016

Cherrybarb.3016

I don’t want to play a MMO with gear progression for stats, thats why I left the WoW game. Wouldn’t it be nice if they had a VOTE option on proposed changes to get some insight into what the playerbase wants so they can make decisions that can benefit them and their customers?

I wish they would let us OPT OUT and have a choice between either new content with gear progression for those who want it and new content without gear progression for those who don’t. They could have specific servers for it.

Posted by: Rangle.2539

Rangle.2539

No, I don’t agree with gear gating and treadmill. Completely opposite of what GW spirit/philosophy is supposed to be.

Posted by: Spuckuk.7083

Spuckuk.7083

PErsonally, I think this is a horrible idea, pandering to the 1% of players who ran out of things to do already because they played 1000+ hours in a 2 month period.

ArenaNEt, you are going against your own stated design principles, and locking out content for a vast majority of players who just want to play and enjoy the game for what it is.

Ascended gear is a huge step in the wrong direction back toward the WoW/Everquest model of gear. Just add more cool looking legendaries, people have shown themselves more than happy to abandon gear inflation in favour of gear appearance alone.

Posted by: tetsuo.7318

tetsuo.7318

I really like this new item progression its one of the things this game lacks for me, rpgs are supposed to have some sort of power/item progression there need to be goals. I was not really happy with the whole cosmetic gear only endgame it just made playing the game pointless to me. I hope they continue with this and add more item tiers and harder content.

Posted by: Kadulu.8476

Kadulu.8476

So back in April ArenaNet released their very nice Manifesto. A quote from there states “It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment”.

What happened to that? They made an awesome game that holds so much promise for years of fun. Why change stance now and implement systems that games like WoW and Lotro tried and abandoned?!

Their clarification just makes me more worried! This kind of gear progression will just segregate ppl and if this how it will work in coming dungeons I can’t take a break for a couple of months and run current content with friends since I won’t have full ascended gear… :p

It’s an old stupid system, lazy, and boring game design to have this kind of artificial barrier in group content. I held ArenaNet to higher standards than this and hope they think long and hard regarding the path they take!

Hope the community can in an ordered and constructive fashion enlighten ArenaNet that this is not the game we bought and hoped to be playing years to come!

Cheers, Agaetis

We just see in this an enormous lack of imagination about how to provide new long-term content to players. In response to some lack of pve end game, they added OP stuff to keep players busy. Here it is Anet, your original mmo is just like any mmo on the market.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Oh yeah, I forgot how much of a difference that extra 3 precision will make. Oh and cant forget that MF buff.

First, it is a difference of 5, not 3.

Power 68 vs 63 = 7.94% increase in Power

Precision 68 vs 63 = 7.94% increase in Precision

Magic Find 10 vs 7 = 42.86% increase in Magic Find

So lets say a person get all pieces, that’s a nearly 8% increase in combat stats and a nearly 43% increase in magic find.

Not so little when you use percentages.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Daphius.4580

Daphius.4580

We came here not to have another endless grind. We don’t want the game to be destroyed by whiners. Please, think again Anet. Thank you.

Posted by: Phonon.5328

Phonon.5328

Please remove ascended gear from the whole game and never ever think about it in future.

The infusion-slot is maybe a useful idea. But please give us some gw1 feeling with that. Maybe an Eidolon-essence (tradeable) which works with all gear of all stats und give this gear an infusion-slot.

And please please please: NEVER stronger weapons. I thought back about the mmo manifesto. How do you call someone, who say something and do now the complete opposite of it? I call it a traitor…

Posted by: Wagnard.4027

Wagnard.4027

Now saying all this I am playing GW2 because I wanted something different. I have hardly done any dungeons here. I am feeling very uncomfortable about this more because it possibly could be a gear grind I was hoping never to do again. I was happy to have farmed for my exotics in a way I found fun and was getting on with my still long to do list of things I find fun in the game.

It’s a gear grind…
- the new items HAVE better stats, period.
- you need the gear to run the content = radiance (I have 3 lvls 80 chars… so it is a grind) No more “jump in” with the class my friends need to run a dungeon.

Some people says “Wait and Try”… Really? I saw this thing happens so many times in other games… why do I need to see it again to know it is a bad idea? If people can’t learn from past experiences, they are just delusional.

Posted by: kins.3294

kins.3294

My thoughts? Absolutely terrible choice, but, Anet has been going downhill anyway. GW1 was so much better than GW2.

Posted by: Ravenear.8659

Ravenear.8659

I hate idea to farm new gear for stats i fought GW2 will be like GW1 – only looks count not stats. They told what count is look not stats becouse evrybady can have the same stats from dungeons/crafting/carama LIES LIES LIES…
I left Lord of the rings online becouse i hated idea grind raid for armor set about 6 months then new expansions come out +10 levels new raid but you mast have raid armor from previous raid to do new raid. If Anet will go this road like Lotro i will leave this mmo to.
NO FOR STATS GRIND.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

They’ll profit a lot (talking about the money) from this change in their design philosophy.
As far as I’m concerned, I’ll keep my head down and grind, since I’m extremely competitive and I’ll do what I must to enjoy high-level content; I know I’ll need that gear, because I’ll want to do the hardest thing available. Whether I like it or not, doesn’t matter, they decided for me. Maybe they’ll make it work, maybe not. But in that case, there’s still plenty of things to do out there. It’s not the end.
I’ll miss the other dungeons… ah, nevermind. It was already hard to find a team… either you make things work, or you leave the game, I guess. Too late to complain. Or… maybe too early? I’ll think about it…

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

i have to say that in really worried about the new patch… i buyed this game only for its horizontal progression. THe only think that really upset me of the presente game is the unbalance of dungeons\spvp\WvW… i never thought that we need new items with better stats.
And reading that blog really concern me…that description can fit for jewellery, but WHAT ABOUT the future ARMOR AND WEAPONS?
have i to choose between infusion or runes?
have i to choose between infusion or sigils?
They have better stats + rune slot + infusion slot?

i dont know, but i really dont think this new type of gear is good… its gamebreaking

I hope that anet rethink their decision, if they have to make this new type of items:

1)same stats of the existing exotic, NO MORE STATS PROGRESSION PLEASE!(only better look)
2)make infusion aviable only for dungeon endgame, dont brake WvW please it already unbalanced.
3)or if people have to use this new items to be competitive in all the type of gw2 gameplay, make the new ascended stats avaible without hours of grinding.

that blog for now its only killing my hope for this game… no real answer, and only more secrets about the future of the game content.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Guys… try the content out before you even bash it.

MMO needs progression.
It’s evident that players leave at dangerous rate because there’s no progression.

The ascended gears are not even in the treadmill element. Stop being paranoid or overly influenced by others negative comments. It’s like a plague.

Let’s imagine it this way.
- The game did not have exotic tier gears during launch.
- The game included exotic tier between rare and legendary in November update.

It’s the same.

They still live by their philosophy that you don’t need to grind in order to experience the fun of the content. You are still able to experience all content and fun with any tiers. It’s unlike traditional mmo where you must have gear X to experience content Y. All 100% content are available to you to experience and have fun with.

GW2 is different with traditional mmo with the ascended gears.

GW2: New ascended is just another tier.
Other MMO: New gears are a requirement to experience new content.

So stop being noisy and experience the content during launch first.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Power 68 vs 63 = 7.94% increase in Power

Precision 68 vs 63 = 7.94% increase in Precision

Magic Find 10 vs 7 = 42.86% increase in Magic Find

So lets say a person get all pieces, that’s a nearly 8% increase in combat stats and a nearly 43% increase in magic find.

Not so little when you use percentages.

8% is not much at all considering all of the special effects some runes have that would make using infusions not worth it. And who cares about MF anyways, unless youre farming Orr all day I find it to be a useless stat.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I would like a dev to answer me one question – will Ascended be the only tier of rarity added to this game?

I can cope if this is the case. There is a gap between Exotics and Legendaries. Striving for exotics is a Short term goal, Legendaries a very, very long term one and something between them wouldn’t go amiss. That being said, if this is the gate to constantly having to upgrade my gear for every new release – particularly with this monthly update schedule Anet have set – then my feelings will change.