Armor designs

Armor designs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Now, I’m fine with most of the armor designs, however certain ones… bug me.

I’m sure it’d be a pain, but it would be neat if certain armors (for females) had an option. One being the current look, and another which is much closer to the male options. Example, tier 3 cultural medium for humans, or the duelist/named set (medium again). Or even the Phalanx armor in the gemstore.

Tier 3 cultural is obviously meant to be sexy/attractive. but what if a person wanted that armor but more like the guys in covering the full torso? Or the coat for the duelist instead of the female top? Or the solid plate design of male phalanx vs the females exposed parts? (also works for vigil armor…)

I know, there are plenty of choices around that go both ways. for medium and heavy you can find lots that cover everything. However, certain designs are great and then you go to females and it ranges from being similar but slightly different to “Is this even the same armor?”

Armor designs

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Have you seen T3 Norn Cultural?
When you have, then look at T3 Light and Heavy.

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

Have you seen T3 Norn Cultural?
When you have, then look at T3 Light and Heavy.

The female one? Yes. Infact, I was going to get it but then decided it was too impractical, even for Norn. My Norn is now happily in Braham’s heavy armor, which I feel is perfect for Norn.

Armor designs

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

If you don’t like the way the cultural armour looks, either don’t buy it or if you want the stats, transmute another look onto it. Is that a waste? I don’t think so, if the look isn’t what you’re going for.

And if you want male armour you should get a male character

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

(edited by OmaiGodman.2098)

Armor designs

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Alright…. realising you that you are not asking to remove the set as it currently is (I would be completely and utterly against that) but for an option for the “same” set with a somewhat different look, I am not going to hate on this too much.

But I still think that instead of reworking what we already have, they should add new sets. I would even be happy with reworks of GW1 armor above reskins of GW2 armor. I would definitely like a tier or 2 more of cultural.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Armor designs

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

He chose cultural armor as an example, but a lot of other armor could benefit from having tick-able parts.

Like if you tick off the tights in the magician armor , the lower coat in the seeker set . Or all those coat/skirts on themale light armor sets.

Ticking things on my be a bit more tricky to do because they’ll have to add new textures and we don’t want some terrible job like what they did for Orrian Heavy. But it’d be something nice : that way players who want skimpy can have them and players who want less revealing armor will also be happy.

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

If you don’t like the way the cultural armour looks, either don’t buy it or if you want the stats, transmute another look onto it. Is that a waste? I don’t think so, if the look isn’t what you’re going for.

And if you want male armour you should get a male character

The cultural armor I’m going to buy is the types I like. Namely, Tier 3 heavy human (female warrior) and maybe parts of tier 3 asura (male mesmer). I’ve got the full tier 2 medium Norn set with tier 3 medium shoulders (female ranger. Felt it fit her and the Norn style.. Though I wouldn’t mind pants with it :P)

It’s not so much “I want male armor” but some sets are… drastically different. Example.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c9/Phalanx_Heavy-Armor_Skin_human_female_front.jpg Female phalanx. It’s not bad. Infact, it’s somewhat decent compared to some fantasy female armors.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/6c/Phalanx_Heavy-Armor_Skin_human_male_front.jpg Male phalanx. It’s an awesome looking heavy plate armor. Helm is semi-iffy but liveable. However…

Male and Female don’t have any real traits that link them together as “This is obviously the same set.”

Alright…. realising you that you are not asking to remove the set as it currently is (I would be completely and utterly against that) but for an option for the “same” set with a somewhat different look, I am not going to hate on this too much.

But I still think that instead of reworking what we already have, they should add new sets. I would even be happy with reworks of GW1 armor above reskins of GW2 armor. I would definitely like a tier or 2 more of cultural.

Yeah, I am definitely not suggesting any armor sets be removed. Plenty of people like certain looks whether I agree with them or not. I do kinda like your idea though. Adding in certain GW1 sets as bonuses (They had plenty that were okay either way). Or even GW1 npc armors (Like White Mantle, example off top of head… or GW1 ebon vanguard! loved that look).

Unsure how they’d work more tiers for cultural, unless it was something like “Tier 1 has two sets, tier 2 likewise, etc” and add in another trio for each race. Doable I suppose if they wanted to.

Armor designs

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

And why should this only be female exclusive? Male characters should also have a more revealing options. Stop with these double standards. Why should every female set look more like the male version? Why not the other way around?

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

And why should this only be female exclusive? Male characters should also have a more revealing options. Stop with these double standards. Why should every female set look more like the male version? Why not the other way around?

I don’t mind people who use the more exposing armor styles. However in my mind there is a thing called “Functional/practical”

Tier 3 human medium female is impractical and not functional for a close quarters combatant. Hence why I won’t use it at all.

It almost sounds like you are trying to paint me in some sort of sexist manner, forgive me if that is incorrect. But HELL, if people playing male characters TRULY wanted that and it was made to look decent (Again, tier 3 female medium human cultural swapped to male would look ridiculous lol), why not?

Armor designs

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I feel like this when it comes to Arah armor; on females it’s like…….. Super protective fantasy armor 9000. I cannot stand it. I much prefer the design of the male arah armor, but I’d rather the male design on my female warrior, not some skimpy cladded impractical armor.

Armor designs

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

I think there needs to be more armor for females that doesn’t subject their bodies in a sexual manner- it would be mind blowing.
More armors that look better on Charr and Asura as well- maybe even a little more design between male and female- not much but just small touches here and there.

All in all I would love more fur armors that are Norn related- but nothing skimpy- who wears armor that shows mid drift in -10 degree weather? What’s that point of wearing long sleeves if your breasts, abs, or back are partially are showing?
AN overall redesign needs to be done. But I don’t see it happening.

(edited by SnowHawk.3615)

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

I think there needs to be more armor for females that doesn’t subject their bodies in a sexual manner- it would be mind blowing.
More armors that look better on Charr and Asura as well- maybe even a little more design between male and female- not much but just small touches here and there.

All in all I would love more fur armors that are Norn related- but nothing skimpy- who wears armor that shows mid drift in -10 degree weather? What’s that point of wearing long sleeves if your breasts, abs, or back are partially are showing?
AN overall redesign needs to be done. But I don’t see it happening.

With the Norn that’s a cultural and physical thing. They produce a LOT of body heat from their normal activities. It’s why they show so much skin in their normal outfits. It’s why their designs toe the line between “Exposed skin to the max” and “Functional” Braham’s heavy armor suits them perfectly for heavy armor.

Tier 2 medium toes the line, but I think it works for them.

Armor designs

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

kittenty armor is best armor

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Armor designs

Posted by: kidkilowat.5932

kidkilowat.5932

I never played gw1 but after looking at the armor sets from that game it makes me sad. I very much hope we get some of those sets here eventually.

“The light at the end of the tunnel is a train” Justin Trosper

Armor designs

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I don’t mind people who use the more exposing armor styles. However in my mind there is a thing called “Functional/practical”

Fantasy game is fantasy.
Going in to combat with an exposed face is about as practical as going in to combat with an exposed torso. If you want realism a game with dragons and plant people probably isn’t your best option.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

Fantasy game is fantasy.
Going in to combat with an exposed face is about as practical as going in to combat with an exposed torso. If you want realism a game with dragons and plant people probably isn’t your best option.

There is a difference between “Hey, I’m not meant to be hit but I’m going to wear a full leather armor” and “Hey, I’m not meant to be hit much, but I’m going to leave half my torso exposed so a single hit will gut me easily.”

There is a difference between “Realism” and “An option to toggle between practical /semi-practical and ‘fantasy/sexy’ for people who prefer it one way or the other”

Going into combat with most of your body covered but your head is more practical then going into combat with a giant chunk of your torso completely bare. Not hating on the designs at all, it’s just how I feel. Just because we have dragons and plant people and a race of mole-men doesn’t mean we can’t have sensible armor.

Armor designs

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

Fantasy game is fantasy.

There is a difference between “Hey, I’m not meant to be hit but I’m going to wear a full leather armor” and “Hey, I’m not meant to be hit much, but I’m going to leave half my torso exposed so a single hit will gut me easily.”

There is a difference between “Realism” and “An option to toggle between practical /semi-practical and ‘fantasy/sexy’ for people who prefer it one way or the other”

Going into combat with most of your body covered but your head is more practical then going into combat with a giant chunk of your torso completely bare. Not hating on the designs at all, it’s just how I feel. Just because we have dragons and plant people and a race of mole-men doesn’t mean we can’t have sensible armor.

Uhm yeah and magic is just as real huh? Come on u can try as hard as u want, it’s about aesthetical matters, not realistic. Play wargames if u like it that much. Or many other mmos which allow full armors only.
By the way doesn’t GW include the armor very much in ur so wished logical aspect, since Skills and traits and runes etc. are weighted a lot. Besides u would be a lot slower with ur armor, than being in leather and how do you explain that a mesmer has less speed (and speedbuff) than a warrior/guardian? Even though he’s only wearing cloth. THAT is unrealistic.

Armor designs

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

He chose cultural armor as an example, but a lot of other armor could benefit from having tick-able parts.

Like if you tick off the tights in the magician armor , the lower coat in the seeker set . Or all those coat/skirts on themale light armor sets.

Ticking things on my be a bit more tricky to do because they’ll have to add new textures and we don’t want some terrible job like what they did for Orrian Heavy. But it’d be something nice : that way players who want skimpy can have them and players who want less revealing armor will also be happy.

I suggested this in the CDI for horizontal progression but iirc, someone mentioned that it was more inline with vertical progression.

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

Uhm yeah and magic is just as real huh? Come on u can try as hard as u want, it’s about aesthetical matters, not realistic. Play wargames if u like it that much. Or many other mmos which allow full armors only.
By the way doesn’t GW include the armor very much in ur so wished logical aspect, since Skills and traits and runes etc. are weighted a lot. Besides u would be a lot slower with ur armor, than being in leather and how do you explain that a mesmer has less speed (and speedbuff) than a warrior/guardian? Even though he’s only wearing cloth. THAT is unrealistic.

I’m not talking for “realism” You are clearly missing the point entirely.

Infact, your post (and the other guys) strikes to me as you are basically going “Oh, it’s a fantasy game therefore we MUST have skimpy, sexualized female armor.”

I’m talking about LOOKS only. For some of those ‘skimpy’ armors to have an option to use the more sensible look over the sexy one. Oh, and frankly, the idea of full plate heavily hindering movement is a myth. A fit, trained person used to plate armor will be able to move just like a normal person. Maybe hindered slightly in flexibility, but movement would not be harmed. A mesmer who probably doesn’t work out as much would actually be slower then a warrior or guardian who spends massive amounts of time exercising and keeping in top shape.

If I was talking realism, I’ll call for siege golems to be immune to damage outside of explosives as they are basically solid metal (good luck slashing that with your sword!) or grenades or hammer blows to instantly deal heavy damage or death. I am not however, I’m talking purely looks.

The point, explicitly so you hopefully cannot miss it. "Some armors, especially medium (fewer in light or heavy) have a decent male look, while the female is obviously meant to be attractive/sexy. I would like an option for the FEMALE characters using this armor to have a button to select between the “Sensible” and the “sexy” look. I am not saying to rework armor systems or remove the current armor designs."

Armor designs

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Oh, and frankly, the idea of full plate heavily hindering movement is a myth. A fit, trained person used to plate armor will be able to move just like a normal person. Maybe hindered slightly in flexibility, but movement would not be harmed. A mesmer who probably doesn’t work out as much would actually be slower then a warrior or guardian who spends massive amounts of time exercising and keeping in top shape.

Fun fact about full plate armor. Despite the fact that Plate armor covered the body from head to toe by the 15th century in Europe, someone who is trained for combat in full plate armor actually has greater freedom of movement than Samurai of the same time period, similarly trained for combat in their armor.

On the armor looks so I’m on topic, I will always prefer practical looking over sex appeal, even in a game which is clearly a fictional world.

Armor designs

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

I never played gw1 but after looking at the armor sets from that game it makes me sad. I very much hope we get some of those sets here eventually.

There’s Krytan actually, from the gemstore, which looks a lot like the collectors armor from prophecies.

But I agree, I’d like some of them in GW2

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

There’s Krytan actually, from the gemstore, which looks a lot like the collectors armor from prophecies.

But I agree, I’d like some of them in GW2

Krytan, Primeval, and Profane are directly based off of (and pretty darn close to) GW1 armors of the same name. Profane might be the most different but Primeval is spot on and Krytan is VERY close.

Armor designs

Posted by: Luke.4562

Luke.4562

The REAL PROBLEM is this design is awesome on 2d, but when they turn it into 3d it’s disappointing.
We really have 1-2-3 nice pieces of armor among, let’s say, 12 sets? The others are just too much silly or average.
http://www.pinterest.com/gioxnostr/hyojin-ahn/

ALPHA, BETA, several months, … 1 Year later…“When it’s ready”[cit.]

Armor designs

RedStar.4218

A lot of armor in this game lose their potential due to how they are rendered in the game. Most of them should look light and flowing yet all of them look like they weigh a ton and are almost as rigid as steel.

Krytan, Primeval, and Profane are directly based off of (and pretty darn close to) GW1 armors of the same name. Profane might be the most different but Primeval is spot on and Krytan is VERY close.

I never understood why the chose Profane…It wasn’t a set really loved by anyone. Even 15k Profane would have been better.

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

A lot of armor in this game lose their potential due to how they are rendered in the game. Most of them should look light and flowing yet all of them look like they weigh a ton and are almost as rigid as steel.

I never understood why the chose Profane…It wasn’t a set really loved by anyone. Even 15k Profane would have been better.

They could’ve gone with a Canthan/factions set. Krytan for proph, Primeval for nightfall, and a light armor from one of the spellcasters from factions.

Armor designs

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

I really just need one toggle: buttcapes on/off

That being said, OoW is like the Human CT3. I think the girls would look pretty good in the guy versions. hell, I think I might even be tempted to roll a gigantic scarred norn male warrior just to xmute on a frilly white wedding dress (were it one day available and gender neutral). Nothing spells certain doom like the heavy charge of the biggest, ugliest norn woman you’ve ever seen after interrupting her wedding day. You can’t know for sure what would happen if “she” caught you, but you can be certain it can only end in tears.

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Armor designs

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

The problems lies in teenagers playing this game.
Look around. 50% of game population runs human female.

Why? Do humans have good racials?
Nope.
They play human females because of boobs, that’s why.
And that’s why most popular sets are those which reveal everything. People like boobs-revealing skimpy armors, they buy them.
So ANet provides it.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Armor designs

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

Nope.
And that’s why most popular sets are those which reveal everything. People like boobs-revealing skimpy armors, they buy them.
So ANet provides it.

Actually, not sure if that’s so much a horny teenage boy thing… Boobs are pretty much OP across the board. Some women like the option of being really kitten ed sexy… I think it just gets a bit old after a bit when its over played. Everyone could do with more… attractive sets that compliment both a woman’s and a man’s body towards both practical and decorative applications.

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Armor designs

RedStar.4218

Nope.
So ANet provides it.

Anet provides them ?
It’s incredible how so many people focus on 4 armor sets and make it a generality by saying that this game has too many revealing armor. (Medium Human T3, Light Feathered, Champion and [url=]Conjurer[/url]).

You don’t like revealing armor ? You want your female character to be fully clothed, from the hands to the neck ?
Light :
-Devout
-Acolyte
-Priory (oh sorry, maybe that one is too revealing :/)
-Ascalonian (so well fitted)
-Nobleman (hmm sorry, the knees might be a bit too much)
-Flame Legion
-Dredge
-Orrian
-Rubric
-Seer
-All Ascended Armor
So out of 32 armor (excluding racial sets), 11 are fully clothed.

And take a look at the gem store armor, so much focus on breasts !
-Aetherblade Light
-Aetherblade Medium
-Trickester
-Primeval
-Viper

I chose light because light armor are supposed to be the skimpiest. Not going to bother to reinforce my point with medium and heavy.

Since people started QQ’ing on armor in GW1, Anet has done nothing but try to calm them by creating more conservative and less sexy designs. And once in a while, they are going to throw one utterly skimpy thing to hope to please everyone, too bad those armor are just skimpy and not well fitted or sexy. (I don’t want my character to look like a kitten, nor do I want her to look like a sack of potato).

Armor designs

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I think we just need more variety overall. I always prefer “sex-appeal” over “practicality” in games so long as it’s not outrageous/beyond ridiculous, but what constitutes as outrageous and ridiculous to me may not be the same as someone else. I’m quite liberal, so I’m not really ever offended by sex-appeal in either direction. I prefer skirts to dresses just like I prefer corsets to coats, and heels to shoes. Armor can be very stylish without being too skimpy, but a lot of the time a little bit of skimp is required for style. Figure hugging, etc.

Armor designs

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I think we just need more variety overall. I always prefer “sex-appeal” over “practicality” in games so long as it’s not outrageous/beyond ridiculous, but what constitutes as outrageous and ridiculous to me may not be the same as someone else. I’m quite liberal, so I’m not really ever offended by sex-appeal in either direction. I prefer skirts to dresses just like I prefer corsets to coats, and heels to shoes. Armor can be very stylish without being too skimpy, but a lot of the time a little bit of skimp is required for style. Figure hugging, etc.

I’m not sure that 99% of the armor in this game even qualifies as Skimpy or having sex appeal, especially by Terra standards for example.

also, I bolded that part of my post on accident, just meant to have one word underlined and bold, but I was too lazy to fix it, and still am. To clarify anyways, there isn’t really much of a problem with any of the armor in this game. Heels and Skirts, and breastplates that don’t even cover the breasts…. woopdee friggen doo! Each armor class has plenty of fully body covering armor, and not actually that many revealing armors, even compared to GW1.

The only thing that gets me (And what was the originaly point of this thread) is that some of the female armor looks so much different than the male versions, its like two entirely different people had a different vision for it and designed the two sets differently….why? Why even bother to name it the same when it obviously looks nothing like its counterpart?

and also also, So long as the game stays the way it is now, and the characters actually look like they are wearing clothes, and it doesn’t devolve into what Terra looks like, I think the armor in guild wars 2 is fine.

Armor designs

Shanna.4762

I’m not sure that 99% of the armor in this game even qualifies as Skimpy or having sex appeal, especially by Terra standards for example.

also, I bolded that part of my post on accident, just meant to have one word underlined and bold, but I was too lazy to fix it, and still am. To clarify anyways, there isn’t really much of a problem with any of the armor in this game. Heels and Skirts, and breastplates that don’t even cover the breasts…. woopdee friggen doo! Each armor class has plenty of fully body covering armor, and not actually that many revealing armors, even compared to GW1.

The only thing that gets me (And what was the originaly point of this thread) is that some of the female armor looks so much different than the male versions, its like two entirely different people had a different vision for it and designed the two sets differently….why? Why even bother to name it the same when it obviously looks nothing like its counterpart?

and also also, So long as the game stays the way it is now, and the characters actually look like they are wearing clothes, and it doesn’t devolve into what Terra looks like, I think the armor in guild wars 2 is fine.

Yeah, I think you see that in particular with gem-shop items more than with sets acquired through game content. I think they’ve started doing that because when they initially tried to make them similar to each other, they didn’t really cross over very well to the other gender so one gender’s version was “meh” or “ugly”, while the others was decent or attractive.

I agree they could come up with some more uniform designs that are similar enough to each other that you can tell they’re the same set, but I don’t really want a “mans” clothes on my female character.

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

Anet provides them ?
It’s incredible how so many people focus on 4 armor sets and make it a generality by saying that this game has too many revealing armor. (Medium Human T3, Light Feathered, Champion and [url=]Conjurer[/url]).

If you are talking about me, I fully understand there are a lot of practical looking/fully covering options.

The point was not “TOO MUCH SKIMPY ARMOR!” The point was “Man, the male version of that looks really nice. Wish I could have that look on my female character.”

Phalanx heavy, for example. Or the Duelist coat(exotic duelist/named). Or temple armor for light armor class.

As well as the fact some simply don’t even look like they are the same set. Phalanx again being a good example.

Armor designs

Posted by: ThFH.6048

ThFH.6048

I am in favour of having a function to have an option to give your character a more functional armour. Looking at e.g. the Phalanx armour skin I would love to have the same heavy plated design for my female Norn guardian. You could also have the same option for male characters to have some more skin showed. Like Honor of the Waves armour female armour has exposed arms something like that could also be possible for male armour.

Armor designs

Shanna.4762

I am in favour of having a function to have an option to give your character a more functional armour. Looking at e.g. the Phalanx armour skin I would love to have the same heavy plated design for my female Norn guardian. You could also have the same option for male characters to have some more skin showed. Like Honor of the Waves armour female armour has exposed arms something like that could also be possible for male armour.

Yeah this is something that I think should be an option, out of fairness. They tend to completely cover male characters, and sex-appeal works both ways!

Armor designs

RedStar.4218

The point was not “TOO MUCH SKIMPY ARMOR!” The point was “Man, the male version of that looks really nice. Wish I could have that look on my female character.”

Phalanx heavy, for example. Or the Duelist coat(exotic duelist/named). Or temple armor for light armor class.

As well as the fact some simply don’t even look like they are the same set. Phalanx again being a good example.

Hmm sorry I guess there are so many threads right now talking about armor designs that I mix their original points up. So my bad.

And yes I agree that some differences between sexes are so big they don’t even look like they are the same armor.

Armor designs

Kalavier.1097

Hmm sorry I guess there are so many threads right now talking about armor designs that I mix their original points up. So my bad.

And yes I agree that some differences between sexes are so big they don’t even look like they are the same armor.

No problem. I can see how the confusion could start. Most of the time it’s not so much (for me) “Ugh, the female armor is so exposing!” and more of a “Oh wow, I’d love that coat.” It’s how I fixed encountered temple armor. Somebody posted a picture of their male sylvari wearing it, I asked what it was, then when I looked up pictures of it noticed females didn’t get the coat.

To the other guy, yes. If the female phalanx looked like the male (or had an option to) I’d be tempted to purchase it myself.